Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Broke college grad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright then we need to figure out how to paint my wheels like slepy's. Next mod for me will be that. Also I found a WW spoiler on ebay for 210 with shipping. It doesn't come painted though so how much do you think that would cost?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Instructor

theres a new guy on the board hes from white bear lakt
Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Pro

Sup everyone. Anyone know a good place I can get headers installed? Maybe springs/shocks too? Saint Paul and surrounding area preferably.

I have no tools and know how to do it myself. I'm still a newb, this is my first car I've bought myself. Usually something breaks when I DIY.

Or anyone with a garage/shop willing to help for a charge? Gimme a price!

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Broke college grad

I've never been there for it but I think some of the guys are able to do the springs and shocks. Probably would be at Takata's, he lives in White Bear Lake too and is pretty much officialy the garage we use now. As for price all you need to do is bring something to grill.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Broke college grad

Another mod I been thinking about doing is sidemarkers. Caligirl2k is selling some for 15 bucks and I haven't decided if I wanna do it yet. Mostly because I don't know whats needed to install the sidemarkers. What do you guys think? Yes or No on sidemarkers?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:24 AM
fu

Originally Posted by BlackuraTL
Alright then we need to figure out how to paint my wheels like slepy's. Next mod for me will be that. Also I found a WW spoiler on ebay for 210 with shipping. It doesn't come painted though so how much do you think that would cost?
what i did was got 2 friends, and said i'd buy them lunch if they helped me sand the rims..
we wet sanded the rims first for the front, and then used a more scrubby thing to get the insides of the spokes..
lots of wet sanding, and then sanding.
then primer, 1 or 2 coats, i think just 1.
then we had my friends dad use his professional painting gun to get a real nice even coat..
dont forget to tape shit off real good, and not to cover the rims
Old 07-04-2008, 02:12 AM
fu

new pics, newer at bottom..
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...34#post2105134
Old 07-04-2008, 04:12 AM
T-Swzy

what i did when i painted my buddy's rim was 200 grit sand job, clean with water, they said dont use soapy cause it leaves a trace and the paint wont stick or something.
then 2 layers of primer,, then we painted like 5 coats of black. waited for that to dry, sand it with 3000 grit. rub with polishing compound. we havent gotten around to clearcoatin cause it probably wont stand up to rotor heat, and we're lazy anyway
Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey blackura - I did the "painted wheels" mod on an old dodge daytona I had. It's actually pretty simple. The only thing that sucked for me was that the wheels themselves were textured, and it left some glue from the tape on them.

Basically if it were me (and it can be if you wanted some afternoon) - I would grab my pressure washer and blast the shit out of the rims. Let them sit in the sun for 15-20 minutes to dry.

You grab some masking tape (I would maybe use painters tape this time around - live and learn I guess). Tape the entire face of the rim, wrapping everything. Then you grab an exacto-knife and cut out the area that needs to be blackened. Prime, paint, and your good to go. Peel the tape, let it sit out in the sun again for another hour or so at least - and you have black rims.

Not too hard actually - you just have to be anal about the details. I never clear coated the wheel, and there was no issue. Never had any paint loss or anything. I'll try to dig up a picture of it. It was a sweet ass car for me being 16. I miss that car actually. Some old fart in an MR2 pulled out in front of me... that was the end of that car. (Now that i think of it, I had 2 really hot chicks I was gonna do the deed to with me at the time too)
Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by asujosh1
Yup, I'm a ricer, you caught me. But, my car has been operational for the last oh, 5 years without a single need for maintenance, so it must be a piece of shit. Road racing is much more fun, I'll agree, but I don't want to pay to have a second car when I can race the TL and have a good time. Besides, I already spent 7 years road racing motorcycles, it's time for something different.

So, if your car is such a bad ride, why hasn't it been seen by anyone? I mean, it's one excuse after another as to why you can't drive it. Next thing you are going to say that you can't drive it because the sun is out. So, why don't you put up or shut up? Bring your ride on down to the next autocross event on August 3rd and we'll see what you can do. If you don't show up, we'll all know why.

Why the hell would I go to an autocross event when I just said I don't like them?
So now you know why I won't show up. None of you guys have seen my car because I don't take it to Acura car club events.

Im just razzin' ya Josh.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Broke college grad

Sweet. If you guys wanna help me do it then i'll do it. And I want shiny ones not like Ksuchdeve's, his are dull. I want nice and shiny black paint. Sizzle what kind of car do you have?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:25 PM
T-Swzy

he's got a thunder bird or lightning eagle or storm vulture or whatever the hell GM execs were looking at when they named the car.

you know our club's hit a real slump ever since dan left. so i propose a mid august mega meet. even if you've missed out on everything, come to this one. sound good?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:14 AM
fu

Alright, CAI comes in on the 9th, how would either thursday or friday work for everyone to met up at jorges shop, and install the headers and CAI?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Quick question for you Slepy... Do you work? If you do - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you probably have Friday and Saturday off?

I could see a friday night working possibly for an install, but generally speaking we usually don't do much on Thursdays since most of us are Mon-Fri people.

Anyone else think it's funny that Ken is the one saying that ever since Dan has left, we haven't done anything? Technically I think we have done something every week, or at least every other week. Razzi - getcha butt off the couch and meet up with us!!! PUT.....THE......GIRL.......DOWN!!!

As for a big meet - I think that sounds like a great idea though. My only question/concern about this, is when and where. The when part is because we have had some issues with people having to work and such, and I'd hate to plan a "mega-meet" just to have everyone busy that weekend.

As for where - I think there are only 3 options that i know of. I'll list the pro's and cons of each, and I think everyone should take a vote and we can make it happen.

Meet at someone's house:
Pro - can do installs, have the luxury of being able to run inside for items (aka some cheese, more beer, the phone etc), able to have a bonfire
Con - not very scenic

Meet at a park somewhere:
Pro - scenic and public place for a meet, gets us out of the house
Con - Have to make everyone in charge of bringing something (usually missing stuff), hard to do mechanical installs in a park, need to make a run to the store when someone forgets the charcoal

Scenic drive (possibly Taylors Falls?):
Pro - can either grill somewhere or just stop for a burger at a little small town bar, very pretty/cool scenery, nice long curvey roads - makes for a nice drive through the country with the windows down
Con - Gas is $4.00 a gallon, can we get everyone to make a 1 hour drive and spend an afternoon basically on the wisconsin border?

My vote would be 3, 1, 2. For a big meet, I want it a scenic drive, or at someones house if you ask me.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:15 PM
T-Swzy

how about all? rawr. meet at george's, do the installs. drive to a park, grill. then go to a car show
Old 07-05-2008, 12:55 PM
fu

i like razzis idea..
i do have a job, but its pretty flexible, because its at my grandpas house.
i just work from 9 in the morning to whenever i'm done..
but a saturday would work better?
maybe this saturday?
Old 07-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Broke college grad

I say since the buerkle meet doesn't look like its gonna happen we should try to still get as much people as we can including new guys, and find a park. Then go for a scenic drive like we did last time.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:00 PM
T-Swzy

last time wasnt scenic lol, everything was flying by at 90 miles an hour haha
Old 07-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Pro

Hey, any of you 3rd gen TLs be interested in trading your stock wheels for my type-S wheels? Depending on the tire wear/condition, I may be willing to trade straight up. Let me know. TPMS preferred.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Broke college grad

Hey VTEC are you talking about 2nd gen type s wheels, because if you are I will buy them from you if you end up doing that. I just have a 2nd gen and I want type s wheels for my 00 TL, so if you decide to sell those let me know!
Old 07-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda Noob

Originally Posted by VTEChump
Hey, any of you 3rd gen TLs be interested in trading your stock wheels for my type-S wheels? Depending on the tire wear/condition, I may be willing to trade straight up. Let me know. TPMS preferred.

I'm interested! but i have an 04 so i dont have TPMS
Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by Razzi
last time wasnt scenic lol, everything was flying by at 90 miles an hour haha
Whatever Razzi, we spent most of the day waiting on you and Blackura. I think O was the best road we found in WI, but a drive would be pretty cool.

I'm still down with a meet at someone's house if ya'll want to BBQ. Listen to me, 3 days in TX and I'm saying ya'll...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Broke college grad

Hey I had a handicap on those roads, I was driving 4x4. And I had to piss really baddddd.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Honda Noob

Originally Posted by BlackuraTL
Hey I had a handicap on those roads, I was driving 4x4. And I had to piss really baddddd.
lol

I must admit that was a fun drive! ...now only if i had an inch drop, hmmm
Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Punctuation Nazi

What is behind the wheel is much more important than what is bolted to the car. We can trade cars and the result will be the same...

Support your local autocrosser!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:12 AM
NBP

Im in need of cash so i am selling stuff....... Neuspeed exhaust that i love has got to go. ive only had it since this spring but vtec bought it originally for his old 2g tl. I'm asking 275 or best offer. I wanted to give you local guys a shot before i throw it up on the black market. Also have 07 TL-S wheels with TPMS, just pm me an offer.

thanks
John
Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 AM
fu

how good is that exhaust?
i might be interested..
Old 07-07-2008, 01:12 AM
NBP

Originally Posted by Slepybear
how good is that exhaust?
i might be interested..
Its great, the sound is amazing and ive only ever gotten compliments on it. Your welcome to come check it out if your interested.

Have you guys seen those 57Motorsport G07-WT in Winning Blue! I really want a set
Old 07-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I think Wednesday I am going to take on the task of modding my navi. I keep hearing all kinds of cool things about a trip computer on the navi. Plus I'm going to get rid of the OK button saying I won't use it while driving, and change the background image.

Josh - what are your plans this week (or Wednesday)? I still have to get that RAM to you. Been sitting on my computer desk for a couple weeks now.

Also - I forget if I posted anything about it, but I noticed on Thursday evening that I had MAD moisture in my headlights. Like it was so bad I could not see the light cutoff on the passenger side. Checked with JNC since he did my lights, and we figured out it was somewhat normal. Basically what happened is when I replaced my turn signal bulbs, I let in a bunch of hot and humid air. Then I parked my car in the garage, and took it out on Thursday when it was like 60 outside and everything condensed.

Headlights (unlike tails) have a silica gel pack in them somewhere to take the humidity out of the lights. I'm hoping this is the problem, and that I don't get etching in my headlights like I have in the tails.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by GLowrdr
I think Wednesday I am going to take on the task of modding my navi. I keep hearing all kinds of cool things about a trip computer on the navi. Plus I'm going to get rid of the OK button saying I won't use it while driving, and change the background image.

Josh - what are your plans this week (or Wednesday)? I still have to get that RAM to you. Been sitting on my computer desk for a couple weeks now.

Also - I forget if I posted anything about it, but I noticed on Thursday evening that I had MAD moisture in my headlights. Like it was so bad I could not see the light cutoff on the passenger side. Checked with JNC since he did my lights, and we figured out it was somewhat normal. Basically what happened is when I replaced my turn signal bulbs, I let in a bunch of hot and humid air. Then I parked my car in the garage, and took it out on Thursday when it was like 60 outside and everything condensed.

Headlights (unlike tails) have a silica gel pack in them somewhere to take the humidity out of the lights. I'm hoping this is the problem, and that I don't get etching in my headlights like I have in the tails.

Glow even with the silica once the seal is broken the moisture gets in. JNC does not want to take the wrap but the TL head lights are very good this is a result of poor quality when he sealed your head light. Replacing a light bulb does not do this. I make him reseal them.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Punctuation Nazi

I might be interested in those wheels if they are lighter then stop and I can get the right price for them. I have been looking for some spare wheels.

Wednesday should be ok for me, so long as we can get it done early
in the afternoon/evening.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Punctuation Nazi

That should read: 'lighter than stock'
Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by Takata 18
Glow even with the silica once the seal is broken the moisture gets in. JNC does not want to take the wrap but the TL head lights are very good this is a result of poor quality when he sealed your head light. Replacing a light bulb does not do this. I make him reseal them.

The only thing that makes me side with JNC on this one is that I haven't had moisture in the lights for 6 months now - ever since I put them in. The only thing done differently was replacing the turn signal bulbs, which I did on Wednesday - and I noticed the moisture on Thursday.

I even double checked the seal for the signal bulbs, and they are tight. I guess I will just have to give it some more time to see. They are warranteed for life through him, so if it's an issue - I can always send them back.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by asujosh1
Wednesday should be ok for me, so long as we can get it done early
in the afternoon/evening.

I would say either Tuesday night (like after 7pm), or Wednesday I'm open all day. Depending on where you're going to be, I can probably just bring the RAM to you.

Hey Blackura - what are your plans on Wednesday? You're not working at BS yet right? We outta get those wheels painted as long as it's not going to rain. Then if/when we need to let things dry between coats, we can either swing out to Josh's to drop off the RAM if I haven't done so by then, otherwise we can play some 360 or something
Old 07-07-2008, 11:13 AM
NBP

Whats up for wednesday?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I don't work Wednesdays, so I'll be home doing a whole lot of nothing. And since Blackura lives just a few miles from my place, I figure if he's sitting around bored too - we might as well get together and paint some wheels.

If you're not doing anything, we could have the "Don't work on Wednesdays slacker meet" at my place.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Pro

Anybody with a Garage/tools who can help me put on my XS header I'll pay you $200. Is that an okay price?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I've got tools and a garage, but I wouldn't know the first thing about putting headers on a car.

This may be a good project for Jorge's or my place.

As for the $200 - speaking for myself (and I'm guessing most of us) - If I were a mechanic and was going to do this myself in the garage, $200 seems reasonable. But since I am not, and this would fall more along the lines of a few guys in the garage tinkering, I'd say some beers and some flesh to throw on the grill would more than suffice.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
T-Swzy

well then, let's install some headers, trade some ram, revamp some carputer, paint some wheels and sell some exhaust. sounds like a day
Old 07-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
I don't work Wednesdays, so I'll be home doing a whole lot of nothing. And since Blackura lives just a few miles from my place, I figure if he's sitting around bored too - we might as well get together and paint some wheels.

If you're not doing anything, we could have the "Don't work on Wednesdays slacker meet" at my place.
I don't work Wednesdays either.......

Wanna lose at Bigs?

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras