Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to it, but yea - sure. Any ideas what you're looking for? I would suggest just to buy a small form PC case, and modify it to an "acura" case.

If you really wanted though, we could build something wood or fiberglass, and make it so it could replace your spare? I wouldn't recommend that, but it's your car.

Let me know, and I can take some measurements from my car and see what will work.

Edit: hey - do you have a PC in mind already? if not - I also build custom PC's. I'd think you could build a pretty decent carPC for $200-$300. Don't need some quad-core powerhouse to play some MP3's and stuff.

Last edited by GLowrdr; 07-14-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

if you went pre-built case, I think it would be cool to get something like this... Nice, small (13x11x9), and actually pretty functional. Mount it under the rear deck, or in one of the wheel wells in the trunk (like the Navi is)

There is a handle on the front of it if you wanted it to be removable - essentially you could just bring the PC in the house to add programs and such to it.

There is also a temp display - just kind of a neat feature to have if you're going to show it off.

Plus, it has the blue lighting to match our cars - and we could also etch the Acura "A" on the clear plexi pieces.

if this is the total wrong direction - let me know. I could just make something out of plywood I have laying around in my garage too...lol
Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Hmmm.. never really dealt with carPC's before, but I guess you can get actual carPC cases too.

This is definately smaller and would fit under your seat. But it looks like genuine carPC components are a little spendy. Might be looking at $400-500 to build.

Where the regular desktop would cost $200-300, and you would just buy a power converter. Then you'd have a power converter you could use for other functions, and a PC that would work in the house if needed.

Ok.. ok.... I'll stop posting all these ideas and wait for you. You may have everything you need, and just want me to build a box out in a heinekin mini-keg or something.

P.S - sorry about the giant picture - wasn't expecting that. That case is only 8x10x3
Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ts_vaj
Josh..I got a question for ya...when you installed your CT Icebox...did it go fairly smooth or were there any cables/battery/other things in the way of the icebox that needed moving or shoving aside? Just wondering because I'm gonna find some time to put mine on.
The only thing that required modification was the plastic piece that goes over the front subframe, just above the headlights. Everything else was smooth sailing.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Hey, any of you guys able to get Paradigm speaker parts? My cat knocked over the speaker stand that my Mini Monitor v5 was standing on and it ripped the posts out of the back of the speaker so that I cannot connect the wires any more. I need to replace that part, anyone have any ideas where I can get it?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by asujosh1
Hey, any of you guys able to get Paradigm speaker parts? My cat knocked over the speaker stand that my Mini Monitor v5 was standing on and it ripped the posts out of the back of the speaker so that I cannot connect the wires any more. I need to replace that part, anyone have any ideas where I can get it?

I did a little bit of checking and can't find exactly what you're looking for. I would either contact Paradigm directly (they have a contact us on their web page), or just goto radio shack or ultimate, and buy a universal set of posts and replace them.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
fu

it isn't new, and doesn't really come with any diagrams..
all the wires are labeled though..
Old 07-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Broke college grad

I think his PC is about the size of the second picture you had glow, correct me if i'm wrong Nitro. For his case I was gonna say you should get some plexiglass and etch the Acura A into it on like the top so you can see through it. That would be bomb.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by Slepybear
it isn't new, and doesn't really come with any diagrams..
all the wires are labeled though..

It can be done either way. I can tell you off the top of my head what most of the wires are without the labeling anyhow.

Another quick question - I would assume this is a full head unit? Or is this just a nav unit? Not that it really makes that much of a difference, but if it's a seperate screen, we would have to figure out where we are going to mount it for optimal viewing while still keeping things fresh.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by BlackuraTL
I think his PC is about the size of the second picture you had glow, correct me if i'm wrong Nitro. For his case I was gonna say you should get some plexiglass and etch the Acura A into it on like the top so you can see through it. That would be bomb.

Ok.. that's cool. So it sounds like the PC is in existance already, and we're just looking at getting it a cool custom case? That will be a piece of cake then. The case is the easy part. It's buying all the shit and getting it to work when you put it all together that can be a challenge.

Off topic - but I think AZ should incorperate a chat function in their site. I'm on all day while I'm at work, and wish I could just chat with people rather than being a post whore at times. Maybe we should start lobbying. "We need Brett Favre. And Chat. More than an ass-hat" Wonder if that would get us very far with Ron... lol
Old 07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
fu

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
It can be done either way. I can tell you off the top of my head what most of the wires are without the labeling anyhow.

Another quick question - I would assume this is a full head unit? Or is this just a nav unit? Not that it really makes that much of a difference, but if it's a seperate screen, we would have to figure out where we are going to mount it for optimal viewing while still keeping things fresh.
its a full headunit.
dvd, mp3, navi, all that good fun stuff
Old 07-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Slepy - what I would do then is goto best buy / circuit city / whatever is close to you and get a wiring harness install kit from them.

It should be like $10-15, and it will have the female connector that will match up to the factory plugs. Then without even touching the car - we can connect all of the wires to the harness and have it ready for the install. The whole thing should literally take under an hour to put in.

One question for you 2G guys though... do you have single or double DIN radios? I am assuming double DIN. Single and we are in trouble. Slepy would have navi in his glovebox...lol
Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda Noob

Thanks Blackura, you beat me to the explanation(heh)........ yeah Brian, the 'new' system is already built. The only thing i need is the case its self and way to mount it. I just dont know how to incorporate in the trunk. Any suggestions on placement, etc. would be GREAT appreciated! I'll try to take some pics to give you a better idea. Would you like a parts list?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
T-Swzy

lol the tech heads are hittin the Ack hard. looks like power mods just took a back seat
Old 07-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by nitropwd
Thanks Blackura, you beat me to the explanation(heh)........ yeah Brian, the 'new' system is already built. The only thing i need is the case its self and way to mount it. I just dont know how to incorporate in the trunk. Any suggestions on placement, etc. would be GREAT appreciated! I'll try to take some pics to give you a better idea. Would you like a parts list?

Nah. since I've got a 3G too, I can just use mine for a template. I forget though - you have Navi? I could make something for the other side (if you have navi) otherwise we could mount on the underside of the rear deck. Wouldn't see it, but some prefer this. Otherwise the Navi is on the right side of the trunk - in the little wheel well cutout. If you have navi - we'd use the other side. Otherwise you could choose. I think it should fit, but I can check.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:18 PM
fu

i will go get the wiring kit, but what should i specifically look for?
and would i need to buy something to hold the screen in place?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

As for holding the screen in place - does it have the metal sleeve that goes around the navi? If you're unsure - does it have little triangle cutouts on the outside edge (closest to the screen)? If you see the cutouts, then it should have the sleeve that it mounts into. If it does not - we may have to get creative.

Unfortunately since this would be a double din radio (one that takes up two radio slots, or has a full screen) - there are no special mounting kits for it. The kits are for replacing your Acura radio with a single din (like 90% of all the radios on the market) - it fills in the space above/below the radio with a little compartment. But - your radio will fill the space, so no filler is needed/made

Either way though, cage or not - we will have to deal with it at that time since you would have to order the cage from the manufacturer. We can custom if needed.

As for the wiring harness... just tell the guy in the store that you need a wiring harness for an Acura TL (whatever year yours is). If he needs more info than that, just let him know you're installing a radio and need the harness for the car. Looking at prices, it will be $19.99 just about anywhere you go. I know Wal-Mart used to carry them cheaper, but I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in like 4 years, so I don't know if they still carry car stereos and stuff.

Just to make it simple too - do you have any model numbers or anything from the GPS? I can grab the manual for it to make sure we have the wiring diagram correct. Another thing I didn't think of until now - do you have the complete system (GPS antenna, maybe a nav disk?). If not - this may be something else we have to figure out. We can either order the stuff you need ahead of time, or we can hit up best buy or something on the day we do the install.

If you do decide that you need to order anything (once I get the manual) - then maybe we can just order the harness from like Crutchfield or something too. I know you're young, but I'm assuming that either you've got a checkcard or you can maybe borrow your parents and give them cash so you ahve a card number to use? I can give you all the part #'s you woud need to order. But again - we will deal with that if needed. So if you could post the model # of the unit, get yourself a wiring harness - I think the rest we can handle.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda Noob

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Nah. since I've got a 3G too, I can just use mine for a template. I forget though - you have Navi? I could make something for the other side (if you have navi) otherwise we could mount on the underside of the rear deck. Wouldn't see it, but some prefer this. Otherwise the Navi is on the right side of the trunk - in the little wheel well cutout. If you have navi - we'd use the other side. Otherwise you could choose. I think it should fit, but I can check.
ahh ok then. naww no navi here....everyone doesnt have it like you lol but i was looking at mounting it to the underside of the rear deck but i didnt know how close the magnet from the rear speak would be to the HD i will be using
Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Broke college grad

Nitro's got navi in his carpc so he don't need it, thing has got everything you would ever need it's crazy. I'm jealous and someday probably as a last mod if I still have the car I'd wanna do it too. I'd like to see some pics of a trunk or just check one out next time we get together so I can get my 2 cents in on where I'd want it. But you don't have to.

And 2nd gen is double din.

Slepy do you have a flipout screen or one thats just flat and its always out? Which would be a double din.

And Dan what ever happened to those pics from out meet at the park where we drove to wisconsin that you took?

Last edited by BlackuraTL; 07-14-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Broke college grad

You know what I'm just gonna pm you so I know you see it cuz I think this is like the 4th time i've asked lol.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda Noob

[QUOTE=BlackuraTL]Nitro's got navi in his carpc so he don't need it, thing has got everything you would ever need it's crazy. I'm jealous and someday probably as a last mod if I still have the car I'd wanna do it too. I'd like to see some pics of a trunk or just check one out next time we get together so I can get my 2 cents in on where I'd want it. But you don't have to.

I think Brian was talking about where the Navi unit is in the trunk to see if that is where i would want it. Its on the passenger side. But almost all of my wiring is on the driver's side. And now for some reason I'm having power issues so I need to find what the problem is.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Broke college grad

Oh gotcha.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:52 AM
fu

i have a double din screen
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear

just letting ya know tht I work in Bloomington selling computers......I work at the Box Shop for now until I find a better job. We have a lot of P4's and sell them around 150-250 only for a complete system. If you're not looking for a duo or quad then I can get you guys a pretty good deal on P4 systems. If any of you guys are looking for a nice cheap system for your kids then let me know. We have a lot of P4s that are still running great. A lot of Dell's and HP's. If any of ya have time to, come check it out. The Box Shop is located in Bloomington and St. Paul but I will be at the Bloomington store today. Bloomington- 35w south past 494 exit on W90th and go east, then turn right on Lyndale and then turn into the Great Bear Center to your right ad you will see a yellow sign saying The Box Shop. We have laptops also, so swing by and I will try to get ya a good deal.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Whats the best deal on a laptop? My dad's hard drive just blew in his laptop and he would like to get a new drive, but maybe a new laptop is a better option?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear

we have two kinds of laptops.
first one is a HP compaq and here are the specs
Pentium M 1.4GHz
15 inch display
40gb hard drive
wireless internet
512MB ram
ethernet 10/100

and the other one is almost the same
except that it has a faster processor with the Pentium M 1.73GHz and a smaller display 14 inches only

We have them on sale for 349 for the 1.4GHz and 399 for the 1.73GHZ but both of them I can take $50 off just for you guys in here. Most Desktop computers I can take off about 20-30 bucks off so let me know if you guys are interested....I am working at the bloomington location today until 7pm. If you drive by the Great Bear Center on Lyndale, you should see my black 02TL-S in the parking lot. We also have flat screen displays for only $99 for 15" and $149 for 17"....remember guys, these aren't going to be the best computers in the world but if you are looking for something cheap but still good then this is the place. Holla if ya here me!!!???!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Is that running XP Pro or Vista?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear

XP pro and still under HP warrenty until DEC of this year.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Punctuation Nazi

On another note, I found another set of wheels I am going to go look at tonight, 18"s again, so continuing that theme, but a different design.

Any input?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Pro

Box shop huh? That a computer store?

Might need some cheap older parts for my old systems. You guys sell 1GB PC2700 Ram? and old 40gb+PATA drives? I have my old AMD Socket 468 gaming system I built YEARS ago that's still hangin lol, gonna give it to my uncle. Need the ram in it and a bigger HD and it should be maxed out lol.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Honda Noob

Originally Posted by smokincivic
just letting ya know tht I work in Bloomington selling computers......I work at the Box Shop for now until I find a better job. We have a lot of P4's and sell them around 150-250 only for a complete system. If you're not looking for a duo or quad then I can get you guys a pretty good deal on P4 systems. If any of you guys are looking for a nice cheap system for your kids then let me know. We have a lot of P4s that are still running great. A lot of Dell's and HP's. If any of ya have time to, come check it out. The Box Shop is located in Bloomington and St. Paul but I will be at the Bloomington store today. Bloomington- 35w south past 494 exit on W90th and go east, then turn right on Lyndale and then turn into the Great Bear Center to your right ad you will see a yellow sign saying The Box Shop. We have laptops also, so swing by and I will try to get ya a good deal.
Damn, that's basically around the corner from where I live. I'm on East 80th ....next right next to IKEA.

I need DDR 2100, do you have any at your shop?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:29 PM

On another note, I found another set of wheels I am going to go look at tonight, 18"s again, so continuing that theme, but a different design.

Any input?

They look cheap and crappy.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

As for the rims - I think they look pretty good. Curious to see what kind of center caps they have though. They looked a little odd at first, but I think that's because the whole tire was armor all'ed - they almost look plastic.

And for you guys looking for RAM - it's pretty easy and cheap to get a hold of just about anything. I picked up Josh 4 gig for $85~. 1 gig sticks are only like $20-25 now days.

Actually I will have Josh's 2 old sticks which are 1 giggers, and I also have some IDE drives laying around too if someone needs something cheap.

Not trying to steal any business smokincivic - I own my own PC repair business and have all kinds of spare parts laying around the house. I'm sure you know what it's like working in the shop (except my shop is upstairs across from my bedroom..lol)
Old 07-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Scroll about halfway down into this thread and these wheels are on a 3G, I think they look pretty damn hot. If the guy goes for my price (notoriously a problem) I will be rollin on those come tonight. I might just have to stop off at the shop to mount them all up...

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/really-weird-kinda-sick-question-but-i-ll-ask-anyways-140066/

Of course I just spent $70 to get those Michelins mounted on Sunday...

Hey Glow, my dad has an IBM T41 and he needs more RAM, and he is thinking about picking up that $399 laptop for the 'civic, in which case he would need about a GB, what's the price?
Old 07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
3rd Gear

oh man no worries bro, my commission isn't that great also lol so if you can get better deals for the guys, it's all good, I wouldnt want you guys to over pay anyways lol but yeah damn so do you custom build systems also? I just finished mines abut a month ago....took about 2 months to completely build it to my standards.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:09 PM
3rd Gear

Scroll about halfway down into this thread and these wheels are on a 3G, I think they look pretty damn hot. If the guy goes for my price (notoriously a problem) I will be rollin on those come tonight. I might just have to stop off at the shop to mount them all up...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140066

Of course I just spent $70 to get those Michelins mounted on Sunday...

Hey Glow, my dad has an IBM T41 and he needs more RAM, and he is thinking about picking up that $399 laptop for the 'civic, in which case he would need about a GB, what's the price?
and oh Josh I can take $50 off that $399 but only today though cause I won't be at the bloomington location tomorrow, only today. Tomorrow and Thursday I will be in st paul location.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Exclamation Nerd Alert!!

Josh - I can get you 1 gig DDR for about $50, but if it's DDR2 I can do $35. Prices would be give or take $5 depending on shipping. Smokin's got a heck of a deal for laptops, plus selection it sounds like. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury yet until I start getting clients that want new laptops and donate thiers to me.

I actually have quite a bit of laptop RAM at home, so if I have what he needs, we can either replace his 512 (if it's 2x256) or we can just add to the 512 and give him a gig.5

As for building custom PC's - you betcha. Here is my latest creation for myself:

AMDx2 6400 processor (3.2g dual core)
G.Skill DDR2 1000 (4x2g sticks)
Antec Sonata III (love Antec cases)
ABIT Nvidia 590 chipset motherboard
Rosewill Z3 cooler w/ remote
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640mb GDDR3
500 gig Samsung Spinpoint drive x2 (SataII)
750 gig external acomdata drive (eSata)
21" Dell widescreen

Then whatever parts I grabbed from my old PC

So.. yea - I love me some PC's. I go as top of the line as I can without having to spend $4k building a PC. I essentially built a $4k PC... just 6 months later. All of this was done last December, and it would still easily cost over a G to build today.

I just built my bro-in-law a desktop from scratch (including case and all) for $350 with a dual core processor and 3 gigs ram. Granted - this was more of a favor to him, but it could easily be done for about $400-425 with me getting a little kick back for taking the time to build one.

Last edited by GLowrdr; 07-15-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Punctuation Nazi

I'll have to find out what he has in the IBM, but for the $399/$350 one I will have to defer to 'civic.

I still need to meet up with you and swap out that RAM... I am going down to STL next weekend and have to have that machine complete by then. Anyone have a free copy of VMWare 64bit?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Hey smokin - how often do you work in Bloomington? I guess I/we could stop by the saint paul location too sometime.

I may be interested in at least checking out your laptop selection sometime. I'm sure Josh would be down for tagging along too?

Unfortunately I found out from the doctor today that 1) I'm fat, and 2) I have bronchitis. So tonight is out for me.

Josh - would you be up for getting together and checking this place out? We can get that ram that I picked up for ya to the right owner too. I'm open, so let me know. Otherwise anyone know if anything's going down at Takata's anytime soon?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear

thats cool man....I started building PCs about a year ago and I have built some beasts...I started building my dads PC about 4 months ago, he wanted a powerhouse so I built him a power house. He does a lot of music stuff and video editing
Spec:
Q6600 overclocked 3.6GHz with artic freezer
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R motherboard
4GB XMS2 Corsairs
8600GT eVga
Antec 500w PSU
forgot what hard drives he had already.

Then I built my pros computer...he got a 5k bonus from his work so we almost went all out but he decided not to at the end.
Specs:
Q6600 overclocked 3.6 with thermalright ultra-120
P5E X38 motherboard
4GBs G.Skill timing 4-4-4-12
Teagan 750w PSU
eVga 8800GT
Transformer case

Then after building them I begged the wifey to help finance my own beast and surprisingly she said yes.
Specs:
Q9450 Overclocked 3.6GHz cooled with Hyper 212 dual fans
eVga 780i mobo
8800GTS 320mb (need to upgrade soon)
Raptor 10krpm 75GB+150GB (thinking about going RAID soon with 2 75GBs)
4GB XMS2 corsair 4-4-4-12
Thermaltake Armor VA8003 25cm fan total of 10 fans in case for maximum cooling.
BFG 650w PSU

my beast can overclock to 3.8GHz but doesn't like to run 24/7. 3.6GHz was the sweet spot. But yeah, thats my beast machine.....sad thing is I am thinking about getting rid of it....want to build a new system lol

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras