Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackuraTL
Damn I almost threw up looking at that shit! Didnt even look like a TL at first.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda Noob

Originally Posted by Takata 18
Thats a suprice. I do not remember having the hood closeonly when we were leaving.
The pic was taken right before we all left. if you look closely at the left side of it....i have been 'shaded' out lol.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 PM
T-Swzy

i'm diggin the rear bumper on that TL

sunday at jorge's? that sounds good. soccer team usually gets a break on sunday right?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Broke college grad

nope haha, what time you guys thinkin of meeting?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Punctuation Nazi

I hadn't even noticed that retarded Type R sticker on teh bumper until Razzi said how much he liked the bumper.

'Yeah, I've got an Acura TL, Type R'
'Wait, don't you mean a Type S?'
'No, it's an R. It was a special edition'
'I've never heard of that'
'Not many people have, it's pretty rare...'

what an effin tool...
Old 06-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda Noob

i'm up for whatever time....hopefully something a lil early in the day.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna make my TL an SVO SS edition. That way I got the best of Ford and Chevy in a reliable vehicle
Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Broke college grad

Do we have a timeslot for tomorrow yet. If I am able to make it, it'd be early cuz I got grad parties and soccer tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by asujosh1
I hadn't even noticed that retarded Type R sticker on teh bumper until Razzi said how much he liked the bumper.

'Yeah, I've got an Acura TL, Type R'
'Wait, don't you mean a Type S?'
'No, it's an R. It was a special edition'
'I've never heard of that'
'Not many people have, it's pretty rare...'

what an effin tool...
Yes Type-R that stands for Rare Josh. Yes I think
Old 06-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Advanced

11:30 - 12:00 Is a good time Nitro bring your CAI lets see what we can accomplish.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by Razzi
i'm diggin the rear bumper on that TL

sunday at jorge's? that sounds good. soccer team usually gets a break on sunday right?
Yes Razzi I got new rope.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Honda Noob

Yes Razzi I got new rope.
....hmm still playing with fire
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda Noob

11:30 - 12:00 Is a good time Nitro bring your CAI lets see what we can accomplish.
sounds good to me, i will call before heading out.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Punctuation Nazi

on my way in about 15 min
Old 06-08-2008, 03:38 PM
T-Swzy

sorry guys, got hella wasted last night, threw up everywhere. hungover till about now. gotta catch mass at 5, out at 6. doubt i can do anything today.

i'm just gonna stop telling people i'll show up
Old 06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Punctuation Nazi

You missed it Razzi, Jorge hosted Sabrina's soccer team for a BBQ today. High-school girls everywhere...
Old 06-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Honda Noob

You missed it Razzi, Jorge hosted Sabrina's soccer team for a BBQ today. High-school girls everywhere...
lol

On a different note, I am BEYOND happy with my newly Fajita F5. I cant believe I didnt get done sooner! Coming home I got 27mpg @ highway speeds. Keep getting strange looks when i actually hit the accelerator(lol) I dont know if i feel any difference from the OE thermoblock spacer kit. But i'm sure i will feel something on a road trip. Thanks again Jorge, Josh and Matt for helping out with the install.

Jermaine - 'Shop' attendant (lol)
Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Sounds like today turned out pretty decent - weather, bbq, mods. What more could a guy ask for?

After putting my CAI on, I don't see any reason not to do it to a vehicle. Sounds nice, adds enough HP or torque that you can feel the difference, and it looks good under the hood.

Couldn't make it today because of the meeting I had with the insurance company for my wife's hail damage (think I said that before though). All in all, not too shabby. Minus the 500 deductable, they said that we should expect a check for $15xx in a week or so. I was kind of suprised they didn't just cut me a check right then and there. That's usually how they do it.

Hey - got a question for you guys. This may sound like the stupidest question ever, but I'm not claiming to be an engine guy. My wifes car leaks oil pretty bad, and it seems to be leaking around the valve covers on both sides. Is there a seal specifically for the valve covers, or is that considered part of head gasket? I'm hoping that maybe I can get off as easily as removing 8-10 bolts per side, remove the covers and replace the seal. If it's a head gasket, I'll just keep filling it up with oil monthly and we'll trade it in next spring. I can't realistically sell it private party without my conscience telling me I'm a douche.

(Just my uneducated guess, but I think the head gasket is different otherwise I would be having coolant issues too right?)
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nitropwd
lol

On a different note, I am BEYOND happy with my newly Fajita F5. I cant believe I didnt get done sooner! Coming home I got 27mpg @ highway speeds. Keep getting strange looks when i actually hit the accelerator(lol) I dont know if i feel any difference from the OE thermoblock spacer kit. But i'm sure i will feel something on a road trip. Thanks again Jorge, Josh and Matt for helping out with the install.

Jermaine - 'Shop' attendant (lol)
Jorge - Shop president (lol)

Jermaine its FUJITA your head was on the soccer team when you said FAJITA

Not a problem Jermaine always a good time. On another note Josh, Matt Thank you for your help and alot of fun. Next meet shop clean out and some painting.

Last edited by Takata 18; 06-08-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Razzi it would have been a bad day for you It could be worst than your hang over
Old 06-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Honda Noob

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Sounds like today turned out pretty decent - weather, bbq, mods. What more could a guy ask for?

After putting my CAI on, I don't see any reason not to do it to a vehicle. Sounds nice, adds enough HP or torque that you can feel the difference, and it looks good under the hood.

Couldn't make it today because of the meeting I had with the insurance company for my wife's hail damage (think I said that before though). All in all, not too shabby. Minus the 500 deductable, they said that we should expect a check for $15xx in a week or so. I was kind of suprised they didn't just cut me a check right then and there. That's usually how they do it.

Hey - got a question for you guys. This may sound like the stupidest question ever, but I'm not claiming to be an engine guy. My wifes car leaks oil pretty bad, and it seems to be leaking around the valve covers on both sides. Is there a seal specifically for the valve covers, or is that considered part of head gasket? I'm hoping that maybe I can get off as easily as removing 8-10 bolts per side, remove the covers and replace the seal. If it's a head gasket, I'll just keep filling it up with oil monthly and we'll trade it in next spring. I can't realistically sell it private party without my conscience telling me I'm a douche.

(Just my uneducated guess, but I think the head gasket is different otherwise I would be having coolant issues too right?)
Sounds like a valve cover gasket leak. Believe me you would rather have to deal with this than the head gasket! What is the make and model of te car?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Valve cover. If it was a head gasket, fluids would just be disappearing and you wouldn't see any visible leaks. The car would also run like crap. Sometimes you can get coolant in your oil and then your oil turns a nice silver color.

Oh yeah, and usually valve covers are not just the 8-10 bolts per side, you usually have to pull crap off just to get to them. And while you are in there, you might as well check and adjust the valves. Can't hurt.

If it is leaking enough to have to add oil, then that is not the only leak. The valve cover area is pretty low pressure unless you have clogged up your crankcase breather. You might want to look at the main seals as well, you will have one in front and one in the back. You can also check your oil pan gasket, it may be leaking as well.

Last edited by asujosh1; 06-09-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Man - that's a lot of stuff to check. I guess I'll have to buy a bottle of degreaser and goto town in her bay, and start from scratch. Looking from under her car, the whole cross member is soaked with oil so I can't tell what's leaking and what's just oil soaked sand stuck to the bottom.

As for adjusting the valves - I have no idea what or how to do that. We may be having a suzuki meet next time...lol

I will clean everything up and see if I can pinpoint where the leaking is happening - and evaluate things from there. I'm not too worried about the leaks themselves, I'm more worried about the oil all over my driveway and garage floor. That, and the smoking the car does after you get to your destination and shut it down. It has some oil residual that smokes from under the hood.

If I can get it to quit leaking and smoking, I will sell it private party come spring. Otherwise - I will be trading it in at the nearest dealership.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by nitropwd
Sounds like a valve cover gasket leak. Believe me you would rather have to deal with this than the head gasket! What is the make and model of te car?
It's a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara (JLX I believe)

So - first thing is I fix the ack. Gotta seal the tails, rotate the tires, and put in my amber bulbs for the headlights. Looks like I may be truckin' it for a day or two.

Then I'll start to tear into the wifes vehicle. Maybe I'll invest the $30 for a chiltons and do everything right instead of learning as I go. Then she can truck it for a few days while I'm learnin.

By golly - I think I've got it all figured out.
(now actually doing it is another story....)
Old 06-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Yeah, that third car is going to get a workout while you fix her car. I would prep her for driving the truck for at least a week if not two. Plan on having to buy more parts than you would ever think you could need. Also, you may want to get an impact as pulling off the factory pullies to replace the front main and dropping the tranny to install the rear main is quite a bit of work. Hopefully the cam seals are good and you wont have to replace them.

As far as selling it, after you are done it will be mostly new again. The only thing we could do is put new piston rings in it and it would not smoke out of the pipe any longer.

Basically, what I'm saying is, this is a rather large project. If I were getting into it, I would plan on keeping the car for a while to make it worthwhile. Trying to fix an oil leak is usually the intro into rebuilding an engine because everything is like, 'well, I'm already in here, and it is only a little more to fix this too' and you end up with a new motor bored and stroked to give you 300HP with a turbo kit and nitrous.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

So your saying I should run down to wal-mart and get a case of oil? lol

I think that's the direction I'm leaning towards. I suppose I will at least clean it up and see what it looks like. But if it's anything more then the valve covers leaking (which I almost think may just be the problem) - it can wait. Until someone else does it that is.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Possibly move to a thicker oil to try and keep the leaking to a minimum.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to get those plastic garage floor liners.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I'm 1 up on ya. My dad does some work for a plastics company - and I have about a dozen 3x5 sheets of 1/8" plastic that I use for random stuff in the garage.

This does get me thinking though - whats you guys' opinion on this: I was at pep boys the other day and they have some stop leak type stuff, except it's for the head gasket. Think it would get me by for a while, or should I spend my $29.99 on some 10-50 or something similar?

Maybe I could McGuyver it and just whip up a few eggs and dump in there too. It worked on his jeep all the time.

or I could get some of that pipe sealer stuff you see on the informercials at night. It's an aerosol can that you can spray on your leaky plumbing and fix it instantly (with a big smile on your face as well for the job well done). I'll just seal the whole damn motor. It will be maintanance free after that
Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Ok.. so after doing some research online - it sounds as though I may just first try tightening the bolts down a little to see if they have just come loose. Otherwise I will spend the $12 and buy new seals for the valve covers.

It sounds like in these vehicles the covers can leak a fairly significant amount of oil. I'll still clean everything up and double check, but it doesn't sound like it should be all that bad. A decent day (not 90 degrees), some cold beer, and a couple hours of patience and I should be good to go. If not fixed completely, it's a start (and probably a finish as well)
Old 06-09-2008, 02:46 PM
T-Swzy

and you took no pitchers?!?!?!?!? i thought you knew me better than that

on a brighter note, it's just my fubar'd battery leaking. replaced that sucker and i'm fine. the squeakyness was a damn bushing. i'll work it with my cousin and it shouldnt cost that much i dont think.

friday will be the last day i'm working. then i'm out of a job for about a month before i start doing tech support for apple. that's a whole month to hang out and fix stuff.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Broke college grad

Dudeeeeee not cool, you guys woulda been looking for me cuz I woulda been gone with them. I was planning on coming but I was up til about 7am and didn't wake up until 4 so thats my bad. I was pumped for another meet too.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by Razzi
friday will be the last day i'm working. then i'm out of a job for about a month before i start doing tech support for apple. that's a whole month to hang out and fix stuff.
Tech support for Apple? Are you moving to India?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Broke college grad

Tech support for Apple? Are you moving to India?
I heard there was no age limit for girls there Razzi, so you could get married to a 9 year old and a goat, best of both worlds.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Punctuation Nazi

^Ew.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Honda Noob

Tech Support for Apple......hmm interesting.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Are you actually looking for a new job? Or is tech support for Apple actually a pretty decent job when it comes to pay?

If you're looking for a decent job - my company is expanding and looking for some tech's. I could probably throw in a good word for ya if it was something you are interested in.

I have no idea if working for apple is an 80k/year job, or an $8.90 an hour type thing.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

*** whispers to ken*** - hook me up with a copy of XP64, Vista Ultimate, or Windows 7. I got 8 gig of RAM, and my PC only sees 3 gig.

I think I'm going for some kind of record for insurance. Got the homeowners for the flooded basement, car insurance for the wife's hail damage..... and today I got a call from UPS and they said they filed a claim with their insurance and someone should be giving me a call.

God damn UPS broke my front door on Friday because they opened the storm door, and the wind caught it. Bent the rod in the hydrolic return, and bent the hinges too, so the door doesn't close right. Now I have the door closed and deadbolted so nobody can open it - cause I may not get it closed again.

Ok... that was my for the day. I'm off to bed.

P.S. - This is my last full week of work. Woohoo. My business is picking up enough that I can only work part time at Nexus (not the hair crap). Ken - you tell Bill when you see him, that if he needs me, I'm free on Wednesdays.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Glow, are you retarded or just drunk?

Apple = Steve Jobs = Mac OS X
Microsoft = Bill Gates = Windows

Install Ubuntu and it will see all 8 GB. Or you could install OS X, if your hardware is supported you would get it all.

I have 2x1GB sticks of DDR2 800MHz, how much for an upgrade to 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz? (provided you buy the other 2 sticks)
Old 06-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Glow, are you retarded or just drunk?

Apple = Steve Jobs = Mac OS X
Microsoft = Bill Gates = Windows

Install Ubuntu and it will see all 8 GB. Or you could install OS X, if your hardware is supported you would get it all.

I have 2x1GB sticks of DDR2 800MHz, how much for an upgrade to 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz? (provided you buy the other 2 sticks)
So you're saying Apple ≠Bill = Windows? lol... I' not sure what exactly happened there. I was sober... maybe that was actually the problem.

As for the RAM, looks like the going rate is about $80-90 for some decent stuff. Unless you're looking for the $250 per stick variety that has LED indicators and fancy stuff like that. Otherwise I could get you some generic stuff for probably $60 - but I would spend the extra few bucks to get something well-known.

Depending on how new your system is, I would check to make sure it will handle 2 gig sticks though. Especially if it's older than a year or two and wasn't custom built to begin with.

Anyone know how the weather's supposed to be for this weekend? Not that anyone can even tell me what will happen in 2 hours, but just wondering if a get together might pan out at all.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Punctuation Nazi

I just built it two weeks ago and thought I was getting 2x2GB sticks, but instead got 2x1GB sticks. The board and the OS can support up to 16GB RAM. I don't need any LEDs or crap like that since the case does not have any Windows in it. Is that $80-90 per stick, or for both?

And are you interested in the 2x1GB sticks? They are Kingston.

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras