Tesla: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 09:32 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,711 Likes on 6,490 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Strange, the latest updates release notes say nothing about this.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/softwar.../release-notes

I do see this in the updated user manual though.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/...america_en.pdf
Here’s a video of it in action

The following 2 users liked this post by #1 STUNNA:
civicdrivr (09-28-2021), Comfy (09-27-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 08:31 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,154 Likes on 4,036 Posts
Does it only slow down or does it pull to the side as well?
Old 09-28-2021, 08:37 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,448 Likes on 4,970 Posts
Looks like it slowed down to 45 from the 75mph set point. I didn't see it move over at all.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:50 AM
Ex-OEM King

Soo...are you not supposed to pull over for emergency vehicles? Just slowing down isn't doing a whole lot if you're still in the way.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:05 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
What are you talking about? That cop just busted a driver for speeding or whatever offense. Why should other vehicles pull over for that? They slowed down in the adjacent lane which is the correct response. If the police is right behind you / targeting you, that’s a different matter.

I didn’t see any emergency vehicles behind the Tesla so that’s a moot question of why it didn’t pull over.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:16 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Comfy
What are you talking about? That cop just busted a driver for speeding or whatever offense. Why should other vehicles pull over for that? They slowed down in the adjacent lane which is the correct response. If the police is right behind you / targeting you, that’s a different matter.

I didn’t see any emergency vehicles behind the Tesla so that’s a moot question of why it didn’t pull over.
1.) Emergency vehicle approaching behind you, the law is to slow down and pull over/out of the lane of travel if safe to do so. If not safe to pull over, you have to at least try to get into a different lane to allow them by.
2.) Emergency vehicle on the side of the road, the law is to slow down and change to a lane away from the emergency vehicle on the side of the road if safe to do so to allow space for them to work.
3.) Emergency vehicle crossing at intersection perpendicular to your direction of travel, the law is to stop and allow them to pass if safe to do so. This is a great way for Teslas to get t-boned by a firetruck at an intersection.

The question is does it do those things or does it simply go "cool, blinky lights!" and slow down a bit?
Old 09-28-2021, 10:47 AM

Received 5,542 Likes on 3,780 Posts
#3 would be my main concern with the autonomous systems.

1 & 2 shouldn't be too difficult to program in. But, for #3, do any of the current cars (ICE & EV) have any distant cross traffic vision to be able to recognize an approaching emergency vehicle (lights and/or audible)?
Old 09-28-2021, 11:44 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
#3 would be my main concern with the autonomous systems.

1 & 2 shouldn't be too difficult to program in. But, for #3, do any of the current cars (ICE & EV) have any distant cross traffic vision to be able to recognize an approaching emergency vehicle (lights and/or audible)?
Nope. Not a distant cross traffic but the front/side front view camera on an EV does have some cross traffic detection though I'm not sure how wide the field of view is.

1 and 2 are difficult because of hard vs soft shoulders and what do you do if there's a curb vs no curb vs a curb you can drive up, what constitutes a "safe place" to pull over, etc etc etc. There are a lot of variables even with simply pulling over.

The following users liked this post:
Comfy (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 01:52 PM

Received 5,542 Likes on 3,780 Posts
True, lots to consider. Makes one think we're still a ways away from 'taking a nap' while your robotaxi gets you home.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
^ not if you asked the Muskettes.. they think it is ready NOW... The only reason it is not implemented is because the everyone ELSE is too stupid to realize that.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:49 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
1.) Emergency vehicle approaching behind you, the law is to slow down and pull over/out of the lane of travel if safe to do so. If not safe to pull over, you have to at least try to get into a different lane to allow them by.
2.) Emergency vehicle on the side of the road, the law is to slow down and change to a lane away from the emergency vehicle on the side of the road if safe to do so to allow space for them to work.
3.) Emergency vehicle crossing at intersection perpendicular to your direction of travel, the law is to stop and allow them to pass if safe to do so. This is a great way for Teslas to get t-boned by a firetruck at an intersection.

The question is does it do those things or does it simply go "cool, blinky lights!" and slow down a bit?
#2 was applicable here and it did slow down (to less than 20mph of the speed limit of the road).

yes #3 is a concern for now.

One more question, do the autonomous system in any cars respond to noises (such as by emergency vehicles when they are out of view), or even a simple honk by another car for whatever reason?
Old 09-29-2021, 07:18 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,448 Likes on 4,970 Posts
No because autonomous driving systems in vehicles don't exist. Semi autonomous does, but it can't respond accordingly.

Regarding #2 - we don't know if the system truly did work as it should. The car simply slowed down. What if it were in the right lane and approached the cop car? That's not shown in the video.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:43 AM
Ex-OEM King

#2 was applicable here and it did slow down (to less than 20mph of the speed limit of the road).

yes #3 is a concern for now.

One more question, do the autonomous system in any cars respond to noises (such as by emergency vehicles when they are out of view), or even a simple honk by another car for whatever reason?
#2 was not applicable because the car wasn't in the right lane when the video was shot. I highly doubt it changed lanes on its own because of the stopped emergency vehicle.

Again, just slowing down isn't a solution and isn't conforming to the laws of the road. Yet another fallacy that FSD actually works. There are so many people on the Tesla forums and fbook groups that are super pissed that the car they paid FSD for 5 years ago is nearing the point they are going to move it on without anything to show for the large amount of money they put into that feature.

No, I don't think any cars respond to honks or noises.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:11 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I don’t understand, so what should the car have done? It wasn’t in the right lane to begin with (or may be it changed before the video began), it slowed down which is the correct decision. You mean it should have continued as if nothing is happening or changed lanes further to the left, or pulled over? I’m confused.

I understand the frustration of those who paid for FSD years ago. But it was know that it is going to be an emerging technology and those who paid for it were well aware about the delays. I wish Tesla would just offer refund for those who don’t want it anymore (for the original amount they paid) or are planning to trade the car. But I guess since it is tied to the VIN, that won’t be applicable anymore.

Last edited by Comfy; 09-29-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:17 AM
Ex-OEM King

I don’t understand, so what should the car have done? It wasn’t in the right lane to begin with (or may be it changed before the video began), it slowed down which is the correct decision. You mean it should have continued as if nothing is happening or changed lanes further to the left, or pulled over? I’m confused.

I understand the frustration of those who paid for FSD years ago. But it was know that it is going to be an emerging technology and those who paid for it were well aware about the delays. I wish Tesla would just offer refund for those who don’t want it anymore (for the original amount they paid) or are planning to trade the car. But I guess since it is tied to the VIN, that won’t be applicable anymore.
The car did the right thing in this instance. It was already in the right lane and it slowed down per the law. My question is did it change to that lane in response to the stopped cop car or was it already there? If it did it on its own then great! If not then that's a pretty big flaw.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:47 AM
Ex-OEM King

I missed the second part of this. There are TONS of pissed off people in regards to FSD. They were promised "in two weeks" five YEARS ago. They were not well aware of the delays, it was very much a bait and switch situation. Tesla should definitely offer refunds on what was paid for a feature that never materialized. If they want to beta test FSD then offer it to everyone without charge.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:33 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

If they want to beta test FSD then offer it to everyone without charge.
Now “that” would really piss off many who did pay for it. LOL
Old 09-30-2021, 02:10 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Elon Musk said that autonomous driving was “basically a solved problem” in 2016. At Tesla Autonomy Day on April 22, 2019, he talked about Teslas being “appreciating assets” and that the cars produced by then had all the hardware needed to become autonomous. The promises keep being repeated with new deadlines while the company removed radars from its cars. On top of that, it started developing new hardware that will “finally” make autonomous vehicles possible – which means the previous ones will lack it. In such a chaotic environment, why would Tesla force its luck with regulators by pushing FSD (Full Self-Driving) more aggressively into “beta testers?” It may have to do with finding a good excuse not to deliver.

The first impression the entire situation gives is that Tesla accelerated things after NHTSA started investigating why Autopilot fails to detect emergency vehicles, crashing multiple times against them. The company said it had fixed that, but it now has to prove that this is really the case. At the same time, public scrutiny is at higher levels than ever after all the videos showing FSD Beta heading toward pedestrians, bicyclists, obstacles, and other road users. Summing up, Tesla would be speeding up its tests with customers while it can, but Conor Dalton gave us an enlightening perspective about that.

In a recent tweet, the Snow Bull Capital analyst shared a hypothesis that makes a lot of sense: Tesla could be pushing for regulations to happen. After trying to deliver FSD for so many years, promising it was always around the corner, the company may have realized autonomous driving is still years away. It could just bluntly admit it if it had not sold that promise in advance for up to $10,000 apiece to thousands of customers. Unable to hand them what they paid for, the company needs a scapegoat.

As Dalton mentioned, a regulatory delay would “play in Tesla’s favor.” It would make it seem that Tesla is not to blame if it fails to deliver what its beta software promises: Full Self-Driving. It would be the government killing innovation, as Sandy Munro recently said that was the case. The company could point fingers at the president “controlled by unions,” as Musk referred to Joe Biden at the Code Conference on September 28.

According to Business Insider, this was his third strike against the POTUS just in September. For a company that pledged to open its Supercharging network to other EVs just to win government subsidies, that sort of attitude seems extremely risky. If you consider that the U.S. Congress is now discussing the H.R. 3684 - Invest in America Act, it looks just plain stupid. However, Musk is anything but an idiot: check if he has ever criticized Xi Jinping or the CCP.

Forcing the U.S. government to take measures makes all attitudes Musk and Tesla are taking finally fit together: it changes the perspective on these actions. Instead of being a desperate attempt to seize a window of opportunity that will close when Tesla is framed for “testing” Level 4 technology on public roads – despite claiming it is Level 2 – they turn into calculated measures that will set Tesla free from its own promises.

The only person able to confirm if that is the case is Elon Musk. Given the circumstances, he would not confess any such plan even if he could. For Biden, it may become an automotive Afghanistan: regulating what Tesla does with its beta software is a decision that has to be made. It should have been taken years ago, but nobody did that. NHTSA is frequently accused of being too permissive for failing to do so. For the U.S. government, it will be a matter of choosing the lesser evil.

Tesla and Musk will win either way. If they can keep testing the software, they will always be able to blame the drivers that did not respect the legal disclaimers for overreliance on the system. At least three people already died with Autopilot because of that. If the government blocks these tests and treats them as Level 4 endeavors, with the regulations they have to respect, they’ll get to blame it for stopping progress.

Unfortunately for those paying $10,000 for the promise of a robotaxi, other people on the roads have nothing to do with that. They have not accepted to be part of Tesla’s experiments. Protecting these lives despite taking the blame for “harming” an innovative company is the obvious choice. However, so was preventing Tesla from testing beta software on public roads with common, untrained customers since it started doing that in October 2015. It is already too late to do something without displeasing part of the voters.It gives them a scapegoat and an excuse for why they will not reach autonomy with their current hw suite.
Is Tesla Forcing Its Luck With FSD Beta or Pushing the NHTSA for an Excuse? - autoevolution
Old 10-08-2021, 10:58 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Skynet awakens, Tesla FSD goes rogue. LOL

Old 10-09-2021, 06:20 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Lots of cool pics from the Giga Berlin open house they had today. They showed front and rear castings paired to a structural 4680 battery pack

Also some wild new paint jobs that seem to come from the new paint shop in Berlin, it's supposed to be legit. I hope the era of only 5 colors choices ends in the US when Giga Austin opens up. Austin should have all this new tech too

Legacy auto is fucked and they know it, Tesla has figured out how to better manufacture a better car

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 10-09-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:37 PM
Ex-OEM King

All the headlights on the refreshed 2021 models have that function, it's just not enabled. They can move up down/left right and have the matrix function built in. Just the stupid DOT won't allow it.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 314 Posts
If you order a Model Y, is there a way to ensure it's one that is built at the new factory?
Old 10-09-2021, 10:45 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by anoop
If you order a Model Y, is there a way to ensure it's one that is built at the new factory?
I doubt it. One way to ensure that is to choose a color that is available only from the new factory. I doubt you'll get a choice about 4680 vs 2170 cells as well, unless they decide to charge a premium for 4680 cell pack.

anoop (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I doubt it. One way to ensure that is to choose a color that is available only from the new factory. I doubt you'll get a choice about 4680 vs 2170 cells as well, unless they decide to charge a premium for 4680 cell pack.
After posting this I did some searching and there’s speculation that they might first ship the performance model.

Anyway I was starting to research what wait times are and they are pretty crazy like 6 months out. My RDX gets out of warranty next year so I’m thinking maybe I should sell it.

Would be cool if I can time it right to get these improvements.

Last edited by anoop; 10-09-2021 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:43 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

My RDX gets out of warranty next year so I’m thinking maybe I should sell it.

Would be cool if I can time it right to get these improvements.
This is the sort of thing that makes me really want to LOL. What's wrong with you? What would happen if your can ran out of warranty? In fact nothing would change.

I have been driving mine for over 7 years now (85K miles) and I didn't even get any extended warranty. If you are worried about it's resale price crashing, that's gonna happen to any other replacement car you buy as well unless it's a EV (preferably Tesla). I'd say keep your current car and order your favorite one whenever it's available. That's how you save your wallet (unless you don't have such worries).

Last edited by Comfy; 10-09-2021 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:45 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Here a documentary about Elon's ventures made by PBS. It's rather long one, if anyone wants to watch it.

Old 10-10-2021, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

This is the sort of thing that makes me really want to LOL. What's wrong with you? What would happen if your can ran out of warranty? In fact nothing would change.

I have been driving mine for over 7 years now (85K miles) and I didn't even get any extended warranty. If you are worried about it's resale price crashing, that's gonna happen to any other replacement car you buy as well unless it's a EV (preferably Tesla). I'd say keep your current car and order your favorite one whenever it's available. That's how you save your wallet (unless you don't have such worries).
It's a good milestone for a change. I like the seats of the Model Y -- works much better than the RDX's for my back. I also like the way it drives. I wanted to order one at the time I test drove it (I think around Feb of this year) but then the practical side of me talked myself out of it.

How many problems did you have with your RDX?

Here's the list of things that went wrong with mine so far (I'm at < 29K miles over 36 months):
  • Crackling speakers: Intermittent problem that I noticed since the car was new. Not fixed.
  • Squeaky tailgate: Happened around 5000 miles. Fixed under warranty.
  • Whistling when engine starts or shuts: Happened around 7000 miles. Fixed under warranty TSB.
  • Infotainment will prompt for update even though no update is available. Fixed in D1.2.1.
  • Rubber lining near the tailgate lock has a gap. Fixed under warranty by adjusting the lining.
  • Ticking sound when starting the engine. Intermittent problem. Fixed under warranty by adjusting the PCM bracket.
  • Numerous rattles all over the interior started to appear after about a year. Not fixed.
  • When starting on a trip from home the infotainment system booted up and threw an error "Unfortunately, AcuraLauncher has stopped". Did not happen again on the return trip. Not fixed.
  • Received recall notice from Acura to replace the fuel pump motor.
  • Clock doesn't automatically adjust for daylight savings even though all clock settings are auto (detect time zone, set time, etc.). Fixed by changing to manual mode for settings and, after some time, switching back to auto. (Update: Continuing to occasionally see problems with the clock being off by an hour.)
  • Got an intermittent warning for "Drive mode change unavailable" at the bottom of the infotainment display. Not yet fixed.

Last edited by anoop; 10-10-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:07 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Oh good, as if Tesla threads are not post whored enough.........
Old 10-10-2021, 11:48 AM
Ex-OEM King

Unless you live in Europe a Model Y you order today is likely to come from California not Berlin.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:49 AM
Ex-OEM King

You're killing the planet though. How do you even sleep at night?
Old 10-10-2021, 12:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Unless you live in Europe a Model Y you order today is likely to come from California not Berlin.
Wasn't expecting to see one from Berlin but was asking about the possibility of getting one from Austin.

Anyway, at this point, from what I can tell looking at various other forums and youtube videos, it looks like no one really has any answers.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

You're killing the planet though. How do you even sleep at night?
While I don't agree with this sentiment, this is exactly what one of my neighbors went through. He was literally in mental anguish for months as he debated replacing his Audi S3 with a used Model S and finally did it. He now seems to be at peace and very happy.
Comfy (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 02:06 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Wasn't expecting to see one from Berlin but was asking about the possibility of getting one from Austin.

Anyway, at this point, from what I can tell looking at various other forums and youtube videos, it looks like no one really has any answers.
The other way to check before delivery is to look at the VIN number since the code is different for different manufacturing locations. I don’t know what the code will be for Giga Austin made units. (look for digit 11).
You may decline delivery citing some other reason if it’s not manufactured from Austin.
I know it doesn’t help you while ordering it though.
  • Digits 1 – 3: World Manufacturing Identifier
    • 5YJ = Manufacturer: Tesla Inc.
  • Digit 4: Make/Line/Series
    • S = Tesla Model S
    • X = Tesla Model X
    • 3 = Tesla Model 3
  • Digit 5: Body Type and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
    • A – Hatch back 5 Dr/ LHD
    • C = Class E (6001-7000 lbs) GVWR / MPV / 5 Dr / LHD
    • E= Sedan 4 Dr / LHD
  • Digit 6: Restraint System
    • 1= Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
    • A = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
    • B = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*2, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
    • D= Type 2 Manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags. PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
  • Digit 7: Fuel Type
    • E = Electric
  • Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit
    • 1= Single Motor – Standard
    • 3= Single Motor – Performance
    • 2 = Dual Motor (standard)
    • 4 = Dual Motor (performance)
    • A= Single Motor – Standard
    • B= Dual Motor – Standard
  • Digit 9: Check Digit To be assigned by manufacturer pursuant to 49 CFR § 565.6(c)
  • Digit 10: Model Year
    • H = 2017
  • Digit 11: Plant of Manufacture
    • F = Fremont, CA
  • Digits 12-17: Unique serial number
Old 10-11-2021, 08:59 AM
Ex-OEM King

The Austin factory isn't up and running right now and no one really knows when it will be. Chances are if you order any Tesla right now it'll come from California.

While I don't agree with this sentiment, this is exactly what one of my neighbors went through. He was literally in mental anguish for months as he debated replacing his Audi S3 with a used Model S and finally did it. He now seems to be at peace and very happy.
Eagerly awaiting to hear how comfy sleeps at night with his mental anguish over killing the planet.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:10 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

For those who still think that radar is better than vision.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:15 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

The Austin factory isn't up and running right now and no one really knows when it will be. Chances are if you order any Tesla right now it'll come from California.

Eagerly awaiting to hear how comfy sleeps at night with his mental anguish over killing the planet.
its hard as you know. But I try to make the best use of the circumstances.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Ex-OEM King

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...317547014?s=21

For those who still think that radar is better than vision.
Radar can see in the dark, humans cannot.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:08 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 10-11-2021, 05:47 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Factory tour of Giga Berlin

Old 10-11-2021, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ls-structural/

Quick Reply: Tesla: Development and Technology News