Tesla: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 05:27 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,154 Likes on 4,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
In fact they do see more, because our vision is limited by what we can see from windscreens, windows and mirrors (with blind spots) in the general direction we are looking at a point in time. These cameras can see and FSD software act upon all the time more or less 360 degrees. That is not up for debate.
Your comparison to waymo is like saying there are subway trains/ trams running autonomous in airports along the predetermined tracks.
Turn your head. How do you manage to drive your RDX even 100 yards without crashing?

Waymo drives autonomously and it's not on tracks. Stop being an apologist, FSD is not nearly as good. If FSD was the same I would have paid the $10k for it.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:20 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,711 Likes on 6,490 Posts
Old 07-26-2021, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Propaganda much?

an Electric car that is not water proof + deep water .... um... what could possibly go wrong?

u know what else works? SUV, a truck or dont drive in it.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 01:23 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Propaganda much?

an Electric car that is not water proof + deep water .... um... what could possibly go wrong?

u know what else works? SUV, a truck or dont drive in it.
Exactly. If you can’t see the bottom, turn around. Not sure how many times it has to be repeated, but some dimwits continue to do that.
civicdrivr (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 03:58 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Comfy (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:07 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

These little things don’t matter to the ICE turds, because Ford, VW and others make over $100 billion in profits. . I feel sorry for them as their world is about to be turned upside down soon. .
Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,448 Likes on 4,970 Posts
And Trump is going to be reinstated as president any day now.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:52 AM
Ex-OEM King

I don't think any other automaker is shaking over a change to the structural battery pack...especially not Ford because the Mockey already has it.

Exactly. If you can’t see the bottom, turn around. Not sure how many times it has to be repeated, but some dimwits continue to do that.
Meh, I've gone through lots of water that I couldn't see the bottom of with no fucks given. The joys of a Jeep.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:02 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I don't think any other automaker is shaking over a change to the structural battery pack...especially not Ford because the Mockey already has it.
That exactly is their problem. They can’t understand these little things and take appropriate actions in time. They think it’s some cool high school science shit that doesn’t matter to them at all. In reality that one of the critical pieces of a puzzle that could put them out of business. Too bad that they are not concerned at all.

Meh, I've gone through lots of water that I couldn't see the bottom of with no fucks given. The joys of a Jeep.
Jeep’s are cool in that aspect. I agree. You’re making the case for a Cybertruck even stronger.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:28 AM
Ex-OEM King

That exactly is their problem. They can’t understand these little things and take appropriate actions in time. They think it’s some cool high school science shit that doesn’t matter to them at all. In reality that one of the critical pieces of a puzzle that could put them out of business. Too bad that they are not concerned at all.
:r ofl::rof l:

I'm pretty sure YOU cannot understand these things and the technical aspects of the what/why/how things are designed in the way they are. You are clearly not an automotive engineer and I'm at this point quite sure you're not an engineer at all. Leave the design work to the pros ok?
Old 07-27-2021, 11:57 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,688 Likes on 4,211 Posts

Jeep’s are cool in that aspect. I agree. You’re making the case for a Cybertruck even stronger.
You're as bad as ssftsx. What do you get out of all your propaganda? Higher stock prices?
Old 07-27-2021, 08:29 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

:r ofl::rof l:

I'm pretty sure YOU cannot understand these things and the technical aspects of the what/why/how things are designed in the way they are. You are clearly not an automotive engineer and I'm at this point quite sure you're not an engineer at all. Leave the design work to the pros ok?
Glad you had a good laugh. …. me too.
may be we all had a good laugh.

Originally Posted by pttl
You're as bad as ssftsx. What do you get out of all your propaganda? Higher stock prices?
SSFTSX is bad …… didn’t know that. Ha ha.
What I get out of it…….. mmmm may be clean air, reduced illness for our kids and future generation….., but most of all … laughter for all of us.
Stock prices are only a bonus, which may or may not happen.

Peace.

Last edited by Comfy; 07-27-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:52 PM
My first Avatar....

Glad you had a good laugh. …. me too.
may be we all had a good laugh.

SSFTSX is bad …… didn’t know that. Ha ha.
What I get out of it…….. mmmm may be clean air, reduced illness for our kids and future generation….., but most of all … laughter for all of us.
Stock prices are only a bonus, which may or may not happen.

Peace.
so you're an environmentalist. That's cool. But do you really think you're doing the cause any favors at all? Seriously. I'll speak for myself...your fanboyism has downright poisoned the tesla brand for me. I'd rather drive any ICE vehicle than a tesla. If the EV market ever matures to a point where I would feel confident in buying one, I guarantee it won't be a tesla.

Maybe you fanboys ought to change your clownish tactics. You see, guys like me, who won't be coerced, bullied, or conned into following the pack, will go in the opposite direction.

Just fyi.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:29 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

so you're an environmentalist. That's cool. But do you really think you're doing the cause any favors at all? Seriously. I'll speak for myself...your fanboyism has downright poisoned the tesla brand for me. I'd rather drive any ICE vehicle than a tesla. If the EV market ever matures to a point where I would feel confident in buying one, I guarantee it won't be a tesla.

Maybe you fanboys ought to change your clownish tactics. You see, guys like me, who won't be coerced, bullied, or conned into following the pack, will go in the opposite direction.
Just fyi.
Dude, keep it cool. We are only trying to show the other side of coin, or an alternate point of view, sort of devil’s advocate.
I’ll speak for myself too. My automotive purchase decisions will never be affected by whatever statement made online by some random dude (spin it to what you said and see how pointless it is). Why should whatever I say affect you, since I’m not even remotely connected with you .
I certainly do not have any ill-will against any of you, even though some of you hammer me at times. After all this is a place where virtual friends usually hang out, (even though they may not agree on everything).
You may buy whatever vehicle of your choice (ICE or EV), and I’m sure we (all of us reading) will be happy for you.
All I’m doing is trying to predict the future of automotive industry in my own way .
Old 07-27-2021, 11:38 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Here’s another redundant part in the FSD system that Sam says doesn’t have any redundant parts

Old 07-28-2021, 06:37 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,448 Likes on 4,970 Posts
The redundancies on the backend of the FSD system is great, but if a camera fails, the system will no longer function as intended. If the entire system is reliant on a those cameras, and there's only one of each camera on the car, that does not make it a redundant system, especially with the removal of radar.

​​​​​
Old 07-28-2021, 08:23 AM
Ex-OEM King

Kewl, so there's a backup speaker (which all cars have btw). Please tell me how that's going to prevent the car from smashing into a tree when a camera fails.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
The redundancies on the backend of the FSD system is great, but if a camera fails, the system will no longer function as intended. If the entire system is reliant on a those cameras, and there's only one of each camera on the car, that does not make it a redundant system, especially with the removal of radar.

​​​​​
I've already shown it doesn't work without all the cameras, it's not a matter of IF anymore. If Stunna or Comfy are willing to Venmo me $200 for the FSD trial I'd be happy to do more testing with...you know, the Tesla I actually own.
civicdrivr (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:28 AM
Ex-OEM King

Just fyi.
These two idiots aren't alone. There are more than a few Tesla stans who just think that everything Tesla does is from another world and will die on that hill to make sure you also believe it. I had the same discussion on the FB group where someone said the design of the MachE was poor so I asked what about the design makes it poor and basically got called an idiot and non supporter.

Tesla is cool, the car is amazingly good at what it does. The stans really ruin the experience though.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
civicdrivr (07-28-2021), Sarlacc (07-28-2021), ttribe (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:23 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr

​​​​​
And the cameras fail a whole lot
Old 07-28-2021, 11:49 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Just fyi.
You sound like a Trump supporter who voted for him to own the libs

Originally Posted by 03ssmtl-s
The biggest fuck you ever recorded in human history!!!!!​

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 07-28-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:05 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
You sound like a Trump supporter who voted for him to own the libs
get serious. I'm more like the anti maggot lover who runs the opposite direction from you fucking cult members. but cult members never see the obvious staring them in the face.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:01 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 07-29-2021, 12:03 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by kurtatx
And the cameras fail a whole lot
how many times have you had the cameras replaced in your vehicles?
Old 07-29-2021, 07:39 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,055 Likes on 2,687 Posts
how many times have you had the cameras replaced in your vehicles?
Right because its always hardware and never software.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:47 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Then why would having redundant cameras matter?
Old 07-29-2021, 08:08 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,055 Likes on 2,687 Posts
The more important question is why are you such an idiot? I mean really.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:26 AM
Ex-OEM King

Because you said they are and they are most definitely not. Also, a failed camera is a safety issue when the car is driving itself. ****

**** The car cannot drive itself.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:39 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
The more important question is why are you such an idiot? I mean really.
He's just following the Tesla script.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/28/re...op-must-learn/

Drivers for Elon Musk’s Loop get a script about their ‘great leader’

July 28, 2021

Drivers for Elon Musk’s underground Loop system in Las Vegas have been instructed to bypass passengers’ questions about how long they have been driving for the company, declare ignorance about crashes, and shut down conversations about Musk himself.

Using public records laws, TechCrunch obtained documents that detail daily operations at the Loop, which opened in June to transport attendees around the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC) using modified Tesla vehicles. Among the documents is a “Ride Script” that every new recruit must follow when curious passengers ask questions.

The script shows just how serious The Boring Company (TBC), which built and operates the system, is about controlling the public image of the new system, its technology and especially its founder, Elon Musk.

If riders ask a driver how long they have been with the company, they are instructed to respond with: “Long enough to know these tunnels pretty well!” The document goes on to note: “Passengers will not feel safe if they think you’ve only been driving for a week (even though that could mean hundreds of rides). Accordingly, do not share how long you’ve been employed here, but instead, find a way to evade the question or shift the focus,” the document advises drivers.

When asked how many crashes the system has experienced (the script uses the term “accidents”), drivers are told to respond: “It’s a very safe system, and I’m not sure. You’d have to reach out to the company.” Riders should expect similarly vague responses if they wonder how many employees or drivers TBC has, or how much the tunnels cost to dig. (About $53 million in total).

The use of Tesla’s advanced driver assistance system that is branded “Autopilot” is clearly a sore point at TBC. Clark County does not currently permit the use of the various driver assistance features anywhere within the Loop system, including automatic emergency braking or technologies that make the vehicle aware of obstacles and keep the vehicle in lane.

Officials even require mechanics to check the vehicles to ensure these are not activated.

“In addition to completing the actions under the initial inspection checklist, maintenance staff will verify that the automatic features of the vehicle, such as steering and braking/acceleration/deceleration assist (commonly known as Autopilot) are disabled for manual loop operation,” the document reads. The following checks will be conducted on a daily basis by CWPM technicians, according to the Vehicle Maintenance plan viewed by TechCrunch.

If a passenger should ask whether the Loop’s Tesla vehicles use Autopilot, drivers will give a response. However, this content was marked “Public Safety Related Confidential” in the documents TechCrunch received and was redacted, as were many other technical details.

TechCrunch’s repeated requests to officials to explain this decision went unanswered.

He who shall not be named

The script also covers responses to questions about Musk himself: “This category of questions is extremely common and extremely sensitive. Public fascination with our founder is inevitable and may dominate the conversation. Be as brief as possible, and do your best to shut down such conversation. If passengers continue to force the topic, politely say, ‘I’m sorry, but I really can’t comment’ and change the subject.”

Nevertheless, the script provides a number of replies to common Musk questions. Ask what Musk is like and you should expect the answer: “He’s awesome! Inspiring / motivating / etc.”

Follow up with: “Do you like working for him?” and you’ll get a response that could have come straight from North Korea: “Yup, he’s a great leader! He motivates us to do great work.”

Should a customer wonder how involved Musk is in the business, the driver will tell them: “He’s the company founder, and has been very involved and supportive.” Questions about Musk’s erratic tweets will be brushed off: “Elon is a public figure. We’re just here to provide an awesome transportation experience!”

One question, however, seems to hint that not everyone is happy working for Musk: “Is it true what I’ve read about him in the papers that he [is a mean boss / smokes pot / doesn’t let employees take vacations / etc.]?” Your driver’s rather equivocal response will be: “I haven’t seen that article, but that hasn’t been my experience.”

[ . . . ]
Old 07-29-2021, 11:07 AM
My first Avatar....

Perfectly normal behavior if you're in North Korea .
Old 07-29-2021, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AZuser
He's just following the Tesla script.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/28/re...op-must-learn/
of course. since he does not have a Tesla, there is no other way of knowing anything except following...
Old 07-29-2021, 03:40 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Tesla owners are in for some new goodies. The company has released a 2021.24 software update which includes a variety of upgrades and new features. Among these, users will be able to connect to Disney+ through the Tesla Theater app, access a Car Wash Mode, Auto-Dimming Mirrors, and other features aimed at improving the driving experience. 7 photos

First introduced with a V10 software update in 2019, the Theater Mode already offers Netflix, Youtube, Hulu (or Hulu+ Live TV), and Twitch for all models that have the Media Control Unit version 2 (MCU2).

With the 2021.24 new software update announced in a Reddit post by Tesla owner Emulsifide, the Theather Mode will finally feature Dsiney+. It only took two years to get it on the app after the company’s CEO Elon Musk said in a tweet that the feature will be available “soon.” Well, that “soon” took its sweet time.

The update also includes a Car Wash Mode, which will improve the drivers’ experience at the car wash. This option “closes all windows, locks the charge port, and disables windshield wipers, sentry mode, walk-away door locks, and parking sensor chimes.”

The mode prevents the car from automatically parking brake as well. In case the owner leaves the vehicle in a car wash with conveyor belts, it shifts from the Free Roll option to Neutral.

For Tesla vehicles equipped with auto-dimming mirrors, the new Mirror Auto Dim can now activate and deactivate the feature. Other updates added are the Dashcam improvements which allow the Dashcam to automatically save clips and a Range Display icon placed next to the battery icon.

For users who don’t want to pay for Tesla’s in-car premium connectivity offer, the Remain connected to Wi-Fi in drive feature lets them use Wi-Fi hotspots when driving. Lastly, Tesla has also added three new support languages: Hungarian, Romanian, and Russian.
Tesla Rolls Out New Update, Includes Disney+ and a Car Wash Mode - autoevolution
Comfy (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 03:52 PM
Ex-OEM King

No update pushed out for me yet...
Old 07-30-2021, 07:54 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
The irony here is stacked in multiple, juicy layers. First off, there’s the name Tesla chose for its feature: Smart Summon. Is something “smart” going to drive into the only tree on a 30-feet radius, especially if said three was in the opposite direction of where the car was supposed to go? No prizes for getting that answer right.

7 photos

But what is Smart Summon and why did Tesla feel the need to call it that? Well, it’s supposed to be an evolution of the (dumb) Summon. An upgrade. Whereas Summon will extract the car from the garage or a parking lot over a short distance, Smart Summon should do the same thing, but over much longer distances and execute more complicated maneuvers in the process. In theory, Smart Summon should allow you to step out of the mall and have the car pick you up instead of the old way of having to walk all the way to the vehicle.

Like most things Tesla – not its performance, though – the Smart Summon feature is in Beta, which means you use it at your own peril. The good thing is the owner needs to keep their finger pressed on the display of their phone for the car to move. Lift the finger, and the vehicle stops instantly. The bad news is the vehicle can make very sudden and unpredictable moves that can beat the owner’s reaction time and result in costly repair bills.

The system is also notorious for failing to pick up curbs and, apparently, thin vertical objects like poles or trees – hopefully not stationary slim people as well. Sadly for Tesla, the vehicle is very likely to encounter all these things in a parking lot, which is where the feature will be used for most of the time.

Back to the irony we mentioned at the start of the article, here’s the second part. The owner of the Model Y you’ll see in the clip below had purchased the Full Self-Driving suite (which includes the Smart Summon feature) only one day before he decided to give the automated parking function a try. He got it using the subscription option, meaning he only paid $200. However, that price was about to rise, as you will soon see.

With the car parked in front of a house, the owner appears to use the Smart Summon feature to have the EV reverse onto the street. A simple maneuver the AI seems to have under control. However, after reversing and turning right, it suddenly decides to steer left, which jams the right front wheel into the parking spot’s curb. With no way of going in reverse, the car switches into drive and heads forward. It starts off slowly, but then suddenly picks up speed and steers to the right at the same time, climbing over the curb and hitting a small tree.

The aftermath looks pretty bad considering it was totally avoidable, and the repair bill the Model Y owner got was $1.399.32. Add the $200 he had paid for the subscription (Tesla refused to refund him) and the $200 for replacing the film protection, and the total cost for the entire affair rises to $1,799.32. His final words? “Please do not use the Smart Summon feature.
Tesla Smart Summon Drives Car into Tree Day After Owner Purchases Subscription - autoevolution
Old 07-30-2021, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

Just how fucking lazy can you get? Also i am sure i can walk to the car faster than that shit pulling out and drive 20 feet to me.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:11 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 07-31-2021, 02:22 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 07-31-2021, 02:23 AM
Sanest Florida Man

How many modes are there?

Camp Mode
Car Wash Mode
Dog Mode
Dyno Mode (secret setting)
Old 07-31-2021, 03:15 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 07-31-2021, 04:26 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Tesla autopilot saved life of driver who passed out.

Tesla owner in Norway suffers unconsciousness while driving, Tesla autopilot detects it, slows, comes to a stop so EMS can help.
Now please don’t start that line… that autopilot/ FSD is worth nothing. It was probably worth that person’s life.
Does Ford or any other legacy has this technology on their cars …. LOL.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:24 PM
Ex-OEM King

Autopilot didn't detect anything. All that happened was he didn't acknowledge the warnings to tug the wheel so the car stopped. It does this whether you have a stoke, sleeping, or if you're just lazy.

Quick Reply: Tesla: Development and Technology News