Monthly Car Sales news

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,194 Likes on 3,975 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Honda lawn mowers ARE highly revered the world over. Their reliability and quality is unsurpassed, and they also have adjustable ground clearance. Nissan/Infiniti can never match that.

I have a Craftsman.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
Honda lawn mowers ARE highly revered the world over. Their reliability and quality is unsurpassed, and they also have adjustable ground clearance. Nissan/Infiniti can never match that.
Its a shame supply cant keep up with demand or they would lead in sales too.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeap, Nissan is missing a huge market segment by not offering a lawn mower
Old 07-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Honda lawn mowers ARE highly revered the world over. Their reliability and quality is unsurpassed, and they also have adjustable ground clearance.
....and unlike their cars, their lawnmower lineup is RWD.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Thats why i bought mine, that and for the ground clearance. (though one of the models i have (no joke) is known to have trans problems) which doesnt surprise me with honda
Old 07-09-2010, 02:26 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iforyou
loll, just read my previous post....I admit that I was being a bit sarcastic back there...but I think it's kinda true too. Before the Genesis coupe came, Hyundai was selling the Genesis sedan at around 1000-1500 units per month if I remember correctly. Now with the coupe, the total is only at 2500 units.

I guess it's not bad when you compare it with RX8 and 370Z. But then I think the RSX used to sell much better right, even though it was more $$?
gen coupe is $22-32k(track with navi)
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by biker
Oh man, that is too funny!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I think you should be a politician 'cuz you go so out of your way to avoid answering questions.

Let me state the question a different way so you might understand it better (i doubt it though)...

What EVIDENCE do you have to support your argument the the WHOLE brand is held in such high regards in developing countries? If ONE model is held in high regard, you cannot make the leap that the whole BRAND is held in high regard.

We're not talking about motorcycle sales, we're not even talking about car sales volume, we're not talking about what awards one model won, we're not talking about reliability, we're talking about the honda BRAND and what evidence you have that the BRAND is held in such high regard because that's what you keep on spewing.
Do u think it is only EuroAccord alone that make Honda Top brand in the World?.
The history of Nissan losses goes back to 1991. Wealth gap between Honda and Nissan is hundreds of billions in today dollars.
Current market cap dont capture the years of expensive training, research, management, processes and machinery that Honda has invested.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargain...=5&expand=true
This is Money
2 July 2010
Britain's most reliable car: Honda top again
For the fifth year running, Honda topped the rankings as the most trustworthy car manufacturer in an annual study from What Car? magazine and insurance company Warranty Direct.

The study was using data from Warranty Direct's 50,000 live policies on cars aged three to 10 years

You can look at Brand Influence in China. where BMW is at Top but Honda is ahead of Lexus/Toyota/Nissan/Hyundai. Nissan is at the bottom.

Honda not only has reliability but Brand image also now. Acura is still small brand. I bet it will be right there with BMW/Audi.

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/JD...df/2010118.pdf
Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts

MrDeeno, I think SSFTSX is more fit to be a comedian than a politician.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by civicdrivr

MrDeeno, I think SSFTSX is more fit to be a comedian than a politician.
haha, maybe both.

Again, he avoids answering the question, but it's funny how he does it too!

Last edited by mrdeeno; 07-09-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
The history of Nissan losses goes back to 1991. Wealth gap between Honda and Nissan is hundreds of billions in today dollars.
Current market cap dont capture the years of expensive training, research, management, processes and machinery that Honda has invested.
Again, you avoid answering the question. Where is EVIDENCE that links the accord being held in high regard to the BRAND being held in high regard? You keep SAYING "Honda top brand in the world" and shit like that, but you STILL fail to provide ANY relevant evidence!

You can look at Brand Influence in China. where BMW is at Top but Honda is ahead of Lexus/Toyota/Nissan/Hyundai. Nissan is at the bottom.

Honda not only has reliability but Brand image also now. Acura is still small brand. I bet it will be right there with BMW/Audi.

Did you actually read the article? First of all, the ONLY mention of honda is in the chart. Second of all, Honda isn't even at the top of the chart, yet you keep on saying that Honda's at the top of the world and shit. Third, Buick is above Honda, I guess Buick should be held in higher regard than Honda then Fourth, the article's main topic is about china, not the "world".

All the evidence yo'uve provided so far just show that Buick and VW should be regarded higher than Honda.

Again, if you want to be taken somewhat seriously, just answer the phucken question...it's very simple:

Where is the evidence to support your assertion that the Honda BRAND should be so well regarded throughout the world?

You keep talking about it, you keep asserting it, but you have zero shred of evidence to support it. Just provide some freakin source to back it up! Just freakin NUT UP, or SHUT UP!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

Again, you avoid answering the question. Where is EVIDENCE that links the accord being held in high regard to the BRAND being held in high regard? You keep SAYING "Honda top brand in the world" and shit like that, but you STILL fail to provide ANY relevant evidence!
First ur question is completely illogical. Honda Euro Accord has won Car of the Year Award in Australlia and Russia. Honda has the highest reliability ratings and highest prices in rest of the world. Toyota and Nissan simply cant charge same price of Honda.
Can u provide any where in the world where Nissan won reliability contest? it is always at the bottom. and this recession cost cutting will even further demolarize workforce. so at the end it will have to buy all the equipment from engines to transmissions to chassis from MB/Renault with almost zero ability of innovation in light weight aerodynamic structures and handling.
It is not a brand it is empty shell. Honda built cars for 30 year life. Nissan built for 5 years.

Did you actually read the article? First of all, the ONLY mention of honda is in the chart. Second of all, Honda isn't even at the top of the chart, yet you keep on saying that Honda's at the top of the world and shit. Third, Buick is above Honda, I guess Buick should be held in higher regard than Honda then Fourth, the article's main topic is about china, not the "world".

All the evidence yo'uve provided so far just show that Buick and VW should be regarded higher than Honda.

Again, if you want to be taken somewhat seriously, just answer the phucken question...it's very simple:

Where is the evidence to support your assertion that the Honda BRAND should be so well regarded throughout the world?

You keep talking about it, you keep asserting it, but you have zero shred of evidence to support it. Just provide some freakin source to back it up! Just freakin NUT UP, or SHUT UP!
on average Buick vehicles are more larger & expensive than Toyota/Nissan. so it is considered higher brand in China. Understand the difference between brand price point.
VW is much higher value brand than Toyota/Nissan. In rest of the world VW Skoda compete with Toyotas/Nissan not VW itself.

Mexico built Jetta is more expensive than US built Corrolla/Civic. Only the new Jetta with Torision beam suspension with Mexican wages will be equivalent to Civic/Corrolla built with US wages. VW Passat is pricer than Camry/Accord.
VW CC is as expensive as Infiniti G37 for similar equiped.
JD Power and ALG is not laying when they are saying Honda/Acura brand has highest resale value and best quality.
Honda can simply charge higher prices for Older technology. This is called brand Value.
Nissan/Infinit simply not in position to charge higher price for older tech nor they can provided standardized products. Brand value is simply not there.
Your trying to compare a firm with highest work ethic and prosperity in Japan with a firm run by French with low productivity and worker moral through cost cutting and bankruptcy.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...07/486146.html

First of all, there are many ways to spin sales numbers, but here are a few facts:

•Accord is one of the industry's best selling cars in 2010 - probably THE best-selling to retail customers.
•CR-V remains the best-selling utility vehicle in America, 3+ years and running.
•Odyssey, in its 5th year on the market, remains an award-winning customer favorite.
•Civic, in its 5th year on the market, saw sales go up 26% in June and is up more than 13% for the year.
To provide further context, you simply can't do an apples-to-apples comparison of industry sales without considering that some competitors have increasingly turned to fleet sales (selling to rental car companies) and direct cash incentives to customers in order to boost sales volume, while Honda has achieved solid sales gains in 2010 without resorting to either tactic.
You can also see this focus on the customer in our focus on quality. In the J.D. Power & Associates 2010 Initial Quality Study, Acura ranked 2nd overall, with Honda 6th - and both Accord and Accord Crosstour were #1 in their segments.

Another myth to dispel is the notion that the delay in the introduction of the next-generation Civic - due out in 2011 - is indication of a hasty decision made in recent days based on present market conditions. As first reported by Automotive News in October 2009, our decision to delay the new Civic launch was made several years ago, not as a knee-jerk response to the current sales situation. And what is a "delay," anyway, when our primary objective is to deliver the best possible product to our customers?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha, maybe both.

Again, he avoids answering the question, but it's funny how he does it too!
He is probably a troll. It's that kind of stupid, not just stupid-stupid.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

First ur question is completely illogical. Honda Euro Accord has won Car of the Year Award in Australlia and Russia. Honda has the highest reliability ratings and highest prices in rest of the world. Toyota and Nissan simply cant charge same price of Honda.
Can u provide any where in the world where Nissan won reliability contest? it is always at the bottom. and this recession cost cutting will even further demolarize workforce. so at the end it will have to buy all the equipment from engines to transmissions to chassis from MB/Renault with almost zero ability of innovation in light weight aerodynamic structures and handling.
It is not a brand it is empty shell. Honda built cars for 30 year life. Nissan built for 5 years.
Again, you've completely avoided answering the question!

The question is NOT illogical, it goes to the HEART of what your assertion. You assert that Honda is the "top brand" in the world. What is your evidence? There is NOTHING illogical about that question. You can show that the Accord is regarded as a top model in one market, but ONE model does not make the brand! WHAT evidence do you have that indicates that honda is a "top brand in the world"?

So a couple models won a couple awards or are highly regarded in certain markets. Whoop-dee-phucken-doo, i can find just as many accolades for any other brand. That still isn't evidence that Honda is the most highly regarded brand around the world. Yes, they are one of the few that have a good reputation, but they are FAR from being the "top brand" that you so assert.

And Honda builds cars to last 30 years while Nissan builds them to last 5? Haha, you really should be a comedian. As someone who drives a 96 pathfinder "beater" that has had less problems than my 2001 Acura CL-S, where's your evidence to support this ridiculous assertion...or is asking for evidence to support this "illogical".

Last edited by mrdeeno; 07-09-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, Honda is so great, thats why when the Toyota fiasco was happening around the world at the end of last year and beginning of this year, Nissan, Hyundai, Ford, and GM were the biggest beneficiary from Toyota's problems in regards to sales, share, gaining customers, etc while Honda remain virtually the same showing no real sign of benefiting from Toyota's woes!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
gen coupe is $22-32k(track with navi)
Damn, that's expensive. The Mustang V6 and Camaro V6 both start at around $22k and both offer even more power than the Genesis Coupe which starts at $25k. Both the Mustang and Camaro have some reputation/history to back them up and are well recognized by a lot of Americans.

Looking at the Hyundai Genesis Coupe Press Release, one of its competitors is the Chevrolet Camaro:
http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kit...ss_Release.asp
Old 07-10-2010, 02:34 PM
hail to the victors

Originally Posted by iforyou
Damn, that's expensive. The Mustang V6 and Camaro V6 both start at around $22k and both offer even more power than the Genesis Coupe which starts at $25k. Both the Mustang and Camaro have some reputation/history to back them up and are well recognized by a lot of Americans.

Looking at the Hyundai Genesis Coupe Press Release, one of its competitors is the Chevrolet Camaro:
http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kit...ss_Release.asp

comparably equipped mustang GT is 40k. optioned out mustang v6 goes over 30k easily as well.

gen coupe should've started at 20k and maxed out at 29.5k ish. it's about 2 grand more expensive IMO.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

Again, you've completely avoided answering the question!

The question is NOT illogical, it goes to the HEART of what your assertion. You assert that Honda is the "top brand" in the world. What is your evidence? There is NOTHING illogical about that question. You can show that the Accord is regarded as a top model in one market, but ONE model does not make the brand! WHAT evidence do you have that indicates that honda is a "top brand in the world"?

So a couple models won a couple awards or are highly regarded in certain markets. Whoop-dee-phucken-doo, i can find just as many accolades for any other brand. That still isn't evidence that Honda is the most highly regarded brand around the world. Yes, they are one of the few that have a good reputation, but they are FAR from being the "top brand" that you so assert.

And Honda builds cars to last 30 years while Nissan builds them to last 5? Haha, you really should be a comedian. As someone who drives a 96 pathfinder "beater" that has had less problems than my 2001 Acura CL-S, where's your evidence to support this ridiculous assertion...or is asking for evidence to support this "illogical".
Evidence is pretty clear. Honda charges the highest prices for oldest tech because it can get away with it. Brand has value. and individual experiaance about reliability dont count as whole world will vote for Honda in any contest of reliability in any market of the World.

Look at Honda Pilot , CRV, Odysey sales. They are all near the top of the segment. Honda sales more high priced vehciles as %age now than Toyota/Nissan in the World.
Honda Euro Accord diesel prices compared to Lexus IS-220D. and Lexus have much newer tech with better warranty and dealership service.

Nissan is a piss poor brand they cannot go to the Top on first attempt.

http://www.wqow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12234469

By ANN M. JOB
For The Associated Press

Guess which pickup truck has the top reliability rating of any consumer truck sold in the United States. Two hints: It's built by a company that's known for fuel-efficient car, and it's not one of the best-selling trucks in the country.

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...-hmsi/94126/on
India's largest scooter maker Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI) today said its bike sales will overtake scooter sales in the country in the next fiscal
Honda is world largest MotorBike maker with sales in India alone of 1.5million. and world wide sales will exceed 10 million. Even with lower profit margin. Honda profits from motorbikes alone will exceed entrie Renault-Nissan profits.
So Honda is not that much driven by short term profits or quick model changes.
Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota are in constant model change and with new products.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Forget it. You are clueless as usual.

Time to ignore.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Race Director

Time to ignore.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Time to ignore.

I had to do that a long time ago.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

haha, pretty soon he'll be talking to himself...which is fine since he's the only one that believes that crap he spews to himself.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:37 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by chungkopi
comparably equipped mustang GT is 40k. optioned out mustang v6 goes over 30k easily as well.

gen coupe should've started at 20k and maxed out at 29.5k ish. it's about 2 grand more expensive IMO.
We probably don't wanna look at the mustang GT as it's way too fast for the Genesis. At over 400hp, I think it's in another league.

Looking at the Hyundai's site, you can do a little comparison test there. The base Genesis coupe has some features that the base Mustang doesn't have, such as Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Side Head Curtain Airbag, Automatic Headlights, mp3 player, and some misc items. Now I'm not if those items are more worth it or an extra 100hp is better. I guess it depends on what the customer is looking for.

The Mustang V6 might max out at over $30k, but at that price point, you will be getting navigation, rear view camera, one of those special packages (V6 pony package or mustang of America package), HID lights, etc. On the other hand, I don't see any packages with the Genesis coupe. So even when I try to option out a Genesis Coupe 3.8GT, I still can't put a navigation system in it. When I take the navigation system package out of the mustang V6, it's $29,205. At that level, it will come with HID, leather seats, heated seats, power seats, security package, etc.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
hail to the victors

gen coupe is doing well against 370z, evo of the world, but it's getting murdered against muscle cars.

dear Hyundai

1. lower the price
2. 274hp turbo for base, 3.8GDI(350hp?) for track.
3. update the grill

please, please, please

now that would be competitive against big boys.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think the original idea of the Genesis coupe is to bring an affordable RWD coupe to the enthusiasts. I think the 370Z is out of budget for many people and can't be considered as affordable. Unfortunately for Hyundai, Ford and Chevy came out with similar priced vehicles while offering much more power (and it seems like people care about power mainly, at least that's what I have noticed here in Azine).

I agree, to satisfy these power hungry folks, Hyundai should lower the price of the current 2.0 Genesis coupe with 200hp, then introduce the 274hp engine model, and work on a 350hp model.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Exclamation Fleets vs Retail Sales

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/Stat...20-car-reg.pdf

Above is a chart that separates out fleet & retail sales for 2009. It is interesting to see that w/out fleet sales, Honda moves to the top of sales charts (Fit, Civic, Accord, CR-V, Odyssey, Pilot ....).
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Race Director

^ that's been true for some time and it's one of the reasons Honda resale values stay so strong.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
http://www.automotive-fleet.com/Stat...20-car-reg.pdf

Above is a chart that separates out fleet & retail sales for 2009. It is interesting to see that w/out fleet sales, Honda moves to the top of sales charts (Fit, Civic, Accord, CR-V, Odyssey, Pilot ....).
Nice find.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

EDIT: This post was a mistake.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Post July `

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., posted July sales of 112,437 vehicles, a decrease of 5.6 percent, based on the daily selling rate*, the company announced today. American Honda year-to-date sales reached 706,346, an increase of 9.4 percent versus last year.

Honda Division posted July sales of 99,420, a decrease of 9.7 percent versus July 2009. Honda trucks posted sales of 44,823 up 23.4 percent, led by the CR-V, up 0.9 percent with sales of 20,058; the Odyssey up 37.8 percent with sales of 9,711; and the Pilot, up 45.4 percent with sales of 9,570. The Accord was the top-selling Honda model for July with sales of 25,386, followed by the Civic with 23,231.

"A year ago the 'Cash for Clunkers' program began and sales of fuel-efficient Honda vehicles picked up quickly at the end of the month," said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda. "Although July sales declined versus last year, our sales increased compared to June 2010, which is a positive sign."

Acura Division posted July sales of 13,017, an increase of 44.7 percent versus July 2009, and year-to-date sales of 74,134, an increase of 24.1 percent. The RDX posted record July sales of 1,708, up 216.9 percent. The MDX was the top-selling Acura model for the month with sales of 4,194, up 63.4 percent. The TSX also posted strong sales, up 39.9 percent.

Sales of the turbocharged RDX crossover SUV were 1,708, up 216.9 percent compared to July 2009 sales, which helped push Acura total monthly sales to an increase of 44.7 percent based on daily selling rate*. With 13,017 units sold for July, overall Acura yearly sales have totaled 74,134 - an increase of 24.1 percent.

"In an era when consumers are downsizing, the right-sized RDX crossover SUV is proving to be a popular choice," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. "The RDX's redesign for 2010, combined with its strong turbocharged power, has really boosted sales of Acura's smallest SUV."

The newly redesigned MDX luxury SUV continues to be one of the most popular choices in its segment, as evidenced by a 63.4 percent increase in monthly sales. With 4,194 units sold, the MDX was again Acura's best selling model. Combined, Acura truck sales totaled 6,480 units, up 108.7 percent.

Acura car sales were led by the TSX sports sedan with 3,242 units sold, an increase of 39.9 percent. Closely following in sales was the TL performance luxury sedan that tallied 3,123 units, a decrease of 9.1 percent. Overall, Acura car sales totaled 6,537, an increase of 11.0 percent.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Dang TSX69! I was JUST about to post that.

BTW, WTF with the RDX sales? Is the FWD version out already?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Race Director

The TL and Insight must be production limited again.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Race Director

Looks like all the recalls and other woes are having an impact on sales at Toyota :
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/d...ales_Chart.pdf

Overall sales down 6.8% while Lexus is off more than 12%.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To all those grill naysayers; So much for the corporate grill killing sales. The grill is a love it or hate it thing. Something that is uniquely identfiable and turns heads. Acura's are no longer mistaken for honda like a Lexus is mistaken for a Toyota. Will the positives of that sort of thing offset the lose of sales by those who hate it and can't get past the standout look?. Now that the grill is on all models and has been the brand identity for over a year, I think we may have our answer because the product hasn't really changed much but sales continue to improve slightly better than average.

TL sales are down, but I'm not sure that's because of the grill. Its a great car. But I felt it was too big to be a sports sedan (which is what the last gen was and how they have been marketing this one). Can't change the car at this point, but change the marketing then.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

Acura is doing fine. as long as MDX/ZDX/RDX sales. they are either priced higher or similar to 3G TL. Even TSX with V6 is above the trends. Its not that TL is way off.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

Power Plenum

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
TL sales are down, but I'm not sure that's because of the grill. Its a great car. But I felt it was too big to be a sports sedan (which is what the last gen was and how they have been marketing this one). Can't change the car at this point, but change the marketing then.
I never had a problem w/ the Power Plenum grille except on the TL ... where the guillotine blade was just too large. Overall, I think that the Keen Edge Design is the least successful on the TL due to other non-grille issues like the head/tail lights being too small & what not. Moving it upmarket probably hurt sales as well ... and of course competition from the v6 TSX.

Otherwise, yes, Acura sales are doing quite well. The RL had another month of increase & the ZDX finally past its sales goal ...

In Honda news ... the Camry just passed the Accord in year sales.

I hope that the HS250h is still on a stop-sale bc it only sold 165 last month.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ Personally I don't like the grill. Not really trying to defend it from a "beauty" perspective. But that's what helps build brand identity. It doesn't have to be beautiful. It doesn't have to appeal to everyone, and it's even ok if it causes lost sales. The most successful brand identifiers are the "ugliest" ones. Can anyone tell me the Audi grill is beautiful? That the Rolls Royce grill isn't the most obnoxious thing you ever saw? On a related note, I just read (can't remember the source) that Lexus is redoing their grill to be unique to the brand and putting it on all the models in the coming few years. Oh no! I can hear the screaming in the Lexus fanboy circles already
Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
To all those grill naysayers; So much for the corporate grill killing sales. The grill is a love it or hate it thing. Something that is uniquely identfiable and turns heads. Acura's are no longer mistaken for honda like a Lexus is mistaken for a Toyota. Will the positives of that sort of thing offset the lose of sales by those who hate it and can't get past the standout look?. Now that the grill is on all models and has been the brand identity for over a year, I think we may have our answer because the product hasn't really changed much but sales continue to improve slightly better than average.

I agree. The TL's grill is polarizing, though here on Acurazine Cartalk/Auto news the majority make the TL seem to be a POS failure just because of the grill.

For argument's sake, what about the new Pilot's grill? Seems very obnoxious (along with a brutal boxy design) to me as well, but yet sales are up 45%. What about the 2010 RDX? Another obvious bird like grill IMHO that is even worse off than the 4G TL. Sales are up 216.9%.

Too many factors play in the 4G TL's sales numbers (ie. price increase, increase increase in size, different target buyer versus the 3G TL, new exterior design, new AWD, etc..). I seriously doubt the grill is the issue at large here. The 4G TL, along with Acura as whole, is no longer the Acura of the past.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
One improved month and suddenly nothing is wrong at Acura? How quickly the past few months and double digits sales declines get forgotten. Everything up until this month outside of the MDX and TSX was abysmal. Lets see if they can keep this up.

Good news is tweaked grilles are coming for the TSX (11) and TL (12) so things are looking up.

Quick Reply: Monthly Car Sales news