Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:47 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
For racing, I'm sure it's a great car, however, for Acura to even remotely align it with the production car for marketing purposes is nothing short of lying.
"Race on Sunday, sell on Monday" type marketing has been going on for 50+ years. All kinds of marketing might be called deceptive - it's all about making one part with their disposable income.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Maybe it is because of the driver? not the car.

Stig will lap me with a Civic than me driving a GTR.
lol of course, but these GT cars are all driven by pros right? Not like some are pros, and some are noobs??

Haha, it is extreme, but all I'm saying is the race car has very little to do with the production car. Even shifting the engine backwards totally changes the characteristics of the car. Slapping turbos on it changes it even more. Gutting it and building it from CF, etc, just keeps the list going. For racing, I'm sure it's a great car, however, for Acura to even remotely align it with the production car for marketing purposes is nothing short of lying.
In any case, it's just marketing man. Just like how they market it with "It's that kind of Thrill," or how Nissan is marketing the Maxima with FWD and CVT a 4-door sports car. Honda marketing also tried to relate F1 racing to their production cars. Heck, F1 doesn't even need VTEC...lol. However, I can see how technologies developed from racing can eventually be toned down for street use. Since the TLX GT has SH-AWD, they can get some good data from it perhaps?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
lol of course, but these GT cars are all driven by pros right? Not like some are pros, and some are noobs??

In any case, it's just marketing man. Just like how they market it with "It's that kind of Thrill," or how Nissan is marketing the Maxima with FWD and CVT a 4-door sports car. Honda marketing also tried to relate F1 racing to their production cars. Heck, F1 doesn't even need VTEC...lol. However, I can see how technologies developed from racing can eventually be toned down for street use. Since the TLX GT has SH-AWD, they can get some good data from it perhaps?
Yah just because they are pros, does not mean they are all the same. Because i am sure the cars ranked lower than TLX GT is not any slower than TLX GT.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yes I know man....there are drivers that are just better. But at that level, given the same car, same track, same conditions, and one driver is considerably slower, then that slower driver shouldn't even be competing....

With that said, there are other factors such as strategies and race experience. Real-Time racing is probably very good at that and can close the gap that way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the TLX GT is faster than the other cars in the same class. My point is that I wouldn't be surprised if the current car is not at its full potential yet, given this is pretty much the first year of the TLX GT, and I believe it's also the first time RT is competing in the GT class. There's going to be a learning curve, and data needs to be collected to further improve the car. The driver(s) can only do so much. The team MIGHT be able to better compete next season.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
I understand what you are saying man. And the NSX is most likely a better platform for the GT class. But when I look at that driver points table though, the two TLX's were actually in 8th/10th out of like 25-30 cars (that table is gone from the website now for some reason). I just thought that's not bad given how the cars you mentioned are based on super cars, and that this year is pretty much their first year in GT class.

lol I think Nascar is a bit extreme?? The TLX GT's body is actually different...it's all CF.....front suspension (double wishbone) and tranny are also different. A lot of interior stuff is also gutted out. But the engine is still a J35 with stock block , head, crank, and TB. I think the SH-AWD system is similar to stock but reinforced to handle 600hp and racing purpose.
As for the TLX-GT, a lot of mods and mechanical rework have been done to make the car competitive.

In fact, so much work is required such that the TLX-GT had missed the first half of last season's races.

The twin-turbo engine is required to relocate from the front to the mid-section of the car, in order to achieve better handling dynamics.

Front-engine, FWD platform has it's limitations when running with the big RWD boys.

Virtually everything (chassis, engine, suspension, SH-AWD, etc.) on the TLX-GT need to be beefed up in order to handle the massive 500+ hp.

As a result, the TLX-GT has very little resemblance with the showroom stock TLX, except for the outer body shell.

In comparison, most other RWD entries in the GT cup only have minor mods, and are very much the same car as stockroom stock condition.

Simply put, the TLX is not in the same league as all those others competing in the GT cup.

However, the AWD TLX-GT has managed some good results, but only when the tracks are wet.

The AWD system is excellent in the wet, but robs hp and bogs down the AWD car when exiting corners/curves whenever the tracks are dry.

It is simply awesome to see the way all those top RWD supercars pulling away after a corner exit.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:38 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Maybe it is because of the driver? not the car.

Stig will lap me with a Civic than me driving a GTR.
No, it's not the driver, it's the car that cannot hang on with the McLaren, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche GT3, Audi R8, and Nissan GT-R.

The driver is Peter Cunningham. He is the owner and driver of RealTime Racing, that specializes in racing Acura sponsored vehicles.

His driving skill in the GT cup is undeniable.

Back when PWC was called SCCA-WC, he had achieved multiple wins with the NSX/super-charged-NSX in the GT cup, and finished 5th overall in 1996, 1st overall in 1997, 3rd overall in 1998, 2nd overall in 2001, and 2nd overall in 2002.

He desperately needs a competitive car to race in the GT cup.

Just give him a RWD platformed NSX, but not the heavily modded AWD-on-FWD-platformed TLX-GT, then he will definitely show results.

On the other hand, even a showroom stock TLX will shine in the GTS cup, in which the RealTime Integra/RSX/TSX had absolutely dominated previously.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
a 3.5L TT v6 can't keep up with 3.8L-4.8L TT engines either way you race.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:48 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
As for the TLX-GT, a lot of mods and mechanical rework have been done to make the car competitive.

In fact, so much work is required such that the TLX-GT had missed the first half of last season's races.

The twin-turbo engine is required to relocate from the front to the mid-section of the car, in order to achieve better handling dynamics.

Front-engine, FWD platform has it's limitations when running with the big RWD boys.

Virtually everything (chassis, engine, suspension, SH-AWD, etc.) on the TLX-GT need to be beefed up in order to handle the massive 500+ hp.

As a result, the TLX-GT has very little resemblance with the showroom stock TLX, except for the outer body shell.

In comparison, most other RWD entries in the GT cup only have minor mods, and are very much the same car as stockroom stock condition.

Simply put, the TLX is not in the same league as all those others competing in the GT cup.

However, the AWD TLX-GT has managed some good results, but only when the tracks are wet.

The AWD system is excellent in the wet, but robs hp and bogs down the AWD car when exiting corners/curves whenever the tracks are dry.

It is simply awesome to see the way all those top RWD supercars pulling away after a corner exit.
lol that's pretty much what I'm saying man Obviously more work is needed to bring a family sedan to be competitive in the GT Class (i.e. not dead last every race) compared to a stock exotic/super car.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
what's that sayin'?

there's no replacement for displacement

Old 07-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

yup.

Just as 4 bangers will never feel like a proper 6 cylinders and 6 will never feel like V8s...
Old 07-10-2015, 04:52 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
It's not the engine. Haven't you heard?

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Honda hp are much more than other company hp.
This means it's either the driver or the tires! I bet it's the tires.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 5,937 Likes on 2,928 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
It's not the engine. Haven't you heard?

This means it's either the driver or the tires! I bet it's the tires.
Always the tires.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The TLX GT's body is actually different...it's all CF.....front suspension (double wishbone) and tranny are also different. A lot of interior stuff is also gutted out. But the engine is still a J35 with stock block , head, crank, and TB. I think the SH-AWD system is similar to stock but reinforced to handle 600hp and racing purpose.
Not even close. The motor is turned longitudinally and shoved back like 2 feet. The driver is almost in the back seat. The AWD system isnt anything close to the SHawd, not even made by honda.

Transmission: X-TRAC 1173 sequential 6-speed; steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters
Drivetrain: X-TRAC motorsport all-wheel drive system

Old 07-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

So basically other than the headlights, TLX GT is really not a TLX at all.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:59 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts

You're clueless in both automotive knowledge and paragraph construction. The TLX GT is a tube frame with a one-off drivetrain. It has zero relation to the production car.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:02 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Not even close. The motor is turned longitudinally and shoved back like 2 feet. The driver is almost in the back seat. The AWD system isnt anything close to the SHawd, not even made by honda.

Transmission: X-TRAC 1173 sequential 6-speed; steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters
Drivetrain: X-TRAC motorsport all-wheel drive system

Specs of that tranny here:

P1173 RALLY RAID GEARBOX

590 lbf ft max torque. Not to worry! No Honda will ever get that high torque
Old 07-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

It will.... at 20,000 RPM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:22 AM
6G TLX-S

lol that's pretty much what I'm saying man Obviously more work is needed to bring a family sedan to be competitive in the GT Class (i.e. not dead last every race) compared to a stock exotic/super car.
What puzzle me most is why go to such great length in reworking the TLX to race in the GT class and not getting good results; when a showroom stock TLX, with minor tweaks, could immediately start winning in the GTS class, just like the RealTime Integra/RSX/TSX had done so previously.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Remember we are talking about Honda/Acura here.

"That kind of summer sales event"
Old 07-13-2015, 03:40 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
What puzzle me most is why go to such great length in reworking the TLX to race in the GT class and not getting good results; when a showroom stock TLX, with minor tweaks, could immediately start winning in the GTS class, just like the RealTime Integra/RSX/TSX had done so previously.
I was thinking the same thing. Moreover, perhaps a 4 cylinder turbocharged one, FWD too based on the 2.4l block.

But, the problem then is perhaps people will view the TLX as an inferior product to the Caddy CTS. So, after following the TLX story so far IMHO its all about perception.

By the way, don't expect that turbocharged TLX engine ever to make it to production. I mean, look at the crazy plumbing up front! A watered down version maybe. But what will happen most likely is a turbocharged i4 engine, same as whats powering the civic R. That, well hopefully, will get the sales going in 2-3 years when the current leases/sales are up or people need something new. A diesel version would have been nice too, but thats a pipe dream for North America. If they manage to squeeze the RLX hybrid drivetrain in the Accord body, well, that could be a coup!!!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:51 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

may be they got tired of dominating the GTS class lol.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
But, the problem then is perhaps people will view the TLX as an inferior product to the Caddy CTS. So, after following the TLX story so far IMHO its all about perception.
Um, the TLX already is inferior to the CTS.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Um, the TLX already is inferior to the CTS.
honestly, i'd rather have the ATS over the TLX.

the new CTS shits ALL over the TLX.
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
JS + XES (07-15-2015), RPhilMan1 (07-15-2015), TacoBello (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

a friend of mine has a new cts and he's had a lot of problems with it. the automatic braking has malfunctioned multiple times. at one point, the car was parked in his driveway and actually put itself in gear and rolled down the driveway in to a tree. the local caddy dealer refused to believe it until my friend showed them the surveillance video footage that caught it.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:53 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol no shxt man, the CTS starts at $45,375...you can get a top trim of the TLX with $500 to spare....it better be shxting all over TLX at that base price point!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:19 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

The CTS used to be in the same vehicle class as the TL.

The CTS has now grown up (bigger in size and more expensive in price), but the TLX has only shrink down.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
a friend of mine has a new cts and he's had a lot of problems with it. the automatic braking has malfunctioned multiple times. at one point, the car was parked in his driveway and actually put itself in gear and rolled down the driveway in to a tree. the local caddy dealer refused to believe it until my friend showed them the surveillance video footage that caught it.
What's your point? I can point you towards a bunch of people who've had all kinds of problems with their TLX.
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 05:14 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
What's your point? I can point you towards a bunch of people who've had all kinds of problems with their TLX.
You just hit the fanboy wall. Just turn around and walk away.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:15 PM

my co-worker's ATS 2.0 turbo failed and kaboom went the engine.

covered under waranty.

it's not like Acura doesnt have any woes
Old 07-15-2015, 05:25 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
^^^^^

The CTS used to be in the same vehicle class as the TL.

The CTS has now grown up (bigger in size and more expensive in price), but the TLX has only shrink down.

Not only that, the TL was larger than the previous CTS - 194-195" compared to 191-192" in length w/ the TL also having the advantage in space utilization due to being FWD.

The current CTS is about the size of the TL, but the TL still has better rear passenger room.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

my co-worker's ATS 2.0 turbo failed and kaboom went the engine.

covered under waranty.

it's not like Acura doesnt have any woes
haven't heard of any tlx's driving themselves in to a tree.

that said, the cts costs more so you ought to get more out of it.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
You just hit the fanboy wall. Just turn around and walk away.
oh you're still here.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:23 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Oh yes since 2005. Not going anywhere.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (07-16-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

cool
Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
I don't like the buttonless interface on the newer Cadillacs. Poor touch feedback and a inconvient expensive time-consuming disaster waiting to happen (especially with GM electronics). Out of the current mainstream luxury brands, the best interiors come from Lexus, BMW, and Audi.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Funny that you forget the Stop Sale of the TlX for the same issue

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...roblem-922468/

During manufacturing of the 9 speed automatic transmission, it is possible that contamination may cause the parking pawl not to engage or the park rod may have been damaged during assembly and could dislodge, both of which can prevent the transmission from shifting into the Park position. Although the shift indicator will display “Park”, the Park Lock may not engage allowing the vehicle to roll away, increasing the risk of a crash.”
Old 07-15-2015, 10:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

CTS both V6 and 2.0T are slower than TLX V6. It uses wider 245 size tire and still not handle better.

2014 Cadillac CTS 3.6L V-6 Sedan Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
One thing Cadillac has always done well is isolate occupants from noise, a legacy continued by the CTS. Although the measured decibel level at 70 mph is an unimpressive (for a luxury car) 68 dB, the CTS seems quieter in real-world operation.
2.0T has very poor fuel economic.
2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 Turbo Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
We still did, though, averaging 17 mpg during a brief and aggressive stint. Indeed, the 2.0-liter’s combined EPA rating of 23 mpg is only one mpg better than the 3.6’s, but with its six-speed automatic and rear-wheel drive (four-wheel drive adds $2000 and about 150 pounds), our test car carried 108 less pounds than a similar rear-drive six-cylinder model and was nearly as quick.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:19 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts

that said, the cts costs more so you ought to get more out of it.

It's called Selective Memory.

Selective memory does exist, say scientists

Selective memory really exists and we can train our mind to forget embarrassing moments completely, research claims.

A study found that repressing these memories for long enough can lead to us erasing them completely.

They were also able to pinpoint the exact moment a memory is 'forgotten', and claim that long-term supression of a memory is a sure fire way of permanently erasing it.

The study authors, led by Gerd Thomas Waldhauser, from Lund University in Sweden, say that mastering the technique could be useful for people who suffer from Acura fanboyism or SSFTSXorrhea.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:57 AM

dude, ssftsx, all you're doing is reversing what the person said.

which isnt a discussion. it's a weird way of manipulation that doesnt work......weird ass.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

fair point. hopefully they resolved this issue with the stop sale. my buddy's experience with caddy has not been so good.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News