Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
$1500 brake job from the stealership? That sounds cheap.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Wonder how ZF messed up the parking pawl gear for the 9AT in the V6, someone said it was debris in the box for certain production range. ZF have been building gearboxes for almost a century.

I had to google "pawl".
Old 12-09-2014, 08:22 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
The 3 series has always been considered the class leader. While the old 3 series coupe has become the 4 series, BMW also added several variations to the 3 series. For example, years ago, there were no 3 series GT, not as many diesel options, not as many wagon options, etc. I also don't recall seeing a 320i back in 2007.
Acura could fix things by offering a TLX Type S and a TLX coupe to increase the TLX's variation.

I think by increased competition, people are also talking about the likes of CLA and A3. These cars are priced closer to the TLX. People who care about the emblem would jump to those cars before considering the TLX. The German brands don't really suffer from this.
Increased competition should affect everyone. If it's only affecting Acura, then that says something about the brand and using the "increased competition" excuse is a bit weak when others can grow their car sales #s. It's not the competition, it's Acura and their weak car (i.e. non-truck/SUV) lineup.

The Audi A3 has been around since 2005 so it's not new competition for Acura or the TL. Interestingly, Acura had their best TL sales year ever in 2005 with 78,218 units sold.... the same year the A3 came out.

The A3 faces new competition from the CLA, the ILX (and TLX according to you since they're close in price), and the 1- and 2-series. Yet 2014 YTD A3 sales have already set a new record, and will be more than 2.5 times higher than their prior best year in 2006. Shouldn't this "increased competition" have affected them too, especially since Audi is (aside from Acura) the weakest of the main premium/luxury brands?
The following users liked this post:
Nabooly (12-10-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
BMW could sell a fwd minivan for $70k and people would buy it, it doesn't mean its a strategy Acura should be following.
I disagree the 5GT and Z4 sales numbers prove this to be the case. Even thoughh they have a strong brand, BMW still needs to produce something worth buying.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
I've not done a detailed model-by-model analysis, but I suspect the closeness in overall sales volume is the sheer number of SUVs Acura sells.
That's really not a bad strategy considering the fact that SUV/CUV'S outsell sedans in the us marketplace.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,785 Likes on 13,973 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
My head hurts in this thread.
That's fine. Mine does too.

But, so long as no one's feelings are hurt from personal attacks and trolling, headaches are allowable.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
My friend also has a Q5 and it was just out of warranty. Long and behold, on his recent road trip, his engine light came out. Luckily it was a only an actuator issue and costed him just about $500 to fix. But his brakes are almost done now and the dealership is quoting him $1500 for a brake job.
A $1500 brake job is about right for an Audi vehicle, because the expensive rotors will also get replaced in addition to the brake pads.

I don't know if it is a factory requirement, but Audi never reuse the rotors whenever new brake pads are changed.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:22 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,134 Likes on 2,570 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
and you didn't have to resort to name calling and over used gifs. imagine that!

Old 12-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
You two get along, that's shocking!

Anyways, for some actual TLX news, has this been posted yet?

From Autoblog: Acura TLX sales stopped over rollaway fears

A bad indicator that could convince customers that affected cars are in park, even when they aren't, has pushed Acura to issue a stop-sale for the V6-equipped TLX sedan. The company has already alerted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the potential safety defect.

According to Consumer Reports, the defect is being blamed on unnamed transmission components in the nine-speed-automatic transmissions, which were damaged during assembly. A representative from Acura confirmed to CR that a more complete statement would be coming once the case can be reviewed by NHTSA.

At this point, this case isn't a full recall, although it seems quite likely that's the direction it will take. Stay tuned for more.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:12 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,472 Likes on 929 Posts
I wonder how the public will react to this.

Imagine walking in to an Acura dealer, interested in a V6 TLX, only to be told by the salesperson that there is a stop-sale and they cannot sell the vehicle.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Boulder TSX
Yes, you're right. Despite the disparagement of car magazines and enthusiasts lamenting the loss of steering feel and the move away from a sporting driving experience in most BMW's, sales are up.

And that's a good way to counter the criticism from some voices toward Acura. Sales are up.

Since the TLX was launched, Acura sales are neck and neck with Audi in the U.S. (And U.S. Audi sales are way up, with the new A3 & Q3.) October 2014 U.S. sales; Audi: 15,150 Acura: 15,427

As you said, the strategy has paid off for all of them.
It's hard to contrast and compare the suspension geometries across BMW generations but I suspect the steering kingpin angle and caster angle have been dialed back over time. Add in that the US models get different suspension bushings (lower durometer, more isolation) due to the rough roads in US compared to Europe.

What's interesting is how MB, BMW, Lexus, Audi, and even Cadillac all have moved toward alot of overlap in their vehicle lineup. Slightly sporty with their sedans, high performance line, AWD sedans, SUV, convertibles,....

Think back to the dark days of Cadillac in the 90's, when the average age of their buyers was increasing a year literally year to year. Audi was plodding along with sub-standard cars, and Lexus were sofa-cruisers. Now their all fairly close in their marketing and image.

And Acura? The TLX is a good reset to realign themselves, and MMC will hopefully get sportier. Would like to see return of 6MT, Brembo, limited slip, stiffer suspension, bigger wheels/tires and aluminum subframe. Acura need to get the team that did the Accord Sport to work on a TLX Type-S.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by RPhilMan1

Imagine walking in to an Acura dealer, interested in a V6 TLX, only to be told by the salesperson that there is a stop-sale and they cannot sell the vehicle.
It is already been posted by every major car websites. (see TLX thread)

i just hope it does not get into the news or cover of the actual car magazine.

wait since i am a hater, i think it does.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1

Happened to the C7 in September

GM slams the brakes on Corvette sales - Fortune

As for the TLX, temp drop in sales and resuming sales once sorted and solved
Old 12-10-2014, 12:22 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
$1500 is expensive but if done at the dealer, it is somehow reasonable considering the job will be replacing 4 rotors, pads, fluid flush and labor.

I have never done any of those at the dealer but i would assume Acura will charge about 250 for each pair of rotor for MDX... and 250-300 for 4 pads and $250 for fluid flush and another 200 for labor

That is not too far off from 1500.
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
A $1500 brake job is about right for an Audi vehicle, because the expensive rotors will also get replaced in addition to the brake pads.

I don't know if it is a factory requirement, but Audi never reuse the rotors whenever new brake pads are changed.
I think the issue is with the rotors eh? It's just that I've never paid anything even close to $1000 at the dealer for any maintenance service before in the past 10 years with cars that are close to 200000km...so I was just a bit surprised to hear what my friend said considering his car only has like 75000km on it.

Originally Posted by AZuser
Acura could fix things by offering a TLX Type S and a TLX coupe to increase the TLX's variation.

Increased competition should affect everyone. If it's only affecting Acura, then that says something about the brand and using the "increased competition" excuse is a bit weak when others can grow their car sales #s. It's not the competition, it's Acura and their weak car (i.e. non-truck/SUV) lineup.

The Audi A3 has been around since 2005 so it's not new competition for Acura or the TL. Interestingly, Acura had their best TL sales year ever in 2005 with 78,218 units sold.... the same year the A3 came out.

The A3 faces new competition from the CLA, the ILX (and TLX according to you since they're close in price), and the 1- and 2-series. Yet 2014 YTD A3 sales have already set a new record, and will be more than 2.5 times higher than their prior best year in 2006. Shouldn't this "increased competition" have affected them too, especially since Audi is (aside from Acura) the weakest of the main premium/luxury brands?
I definitely agree that Acura should expand the line up. No doubt about it.

Well, we all know the Acura brand is not as strong as BMW/MB/Audi/Lexus.

The A3 was a hatch. Now it's a sedan.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:40 PM
_

The A3 was a hatch. Now it's a sedan.
In short, Audi
  • figured out what their customers wanted
  • listened to what their customers wanted
  • both of the above

then gave their customers what they wanted and sales went up dramatically.

Acura on the other hand tells their customers what they want and leaves very little room for customization.
RPhilMan1 (12-11-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 5,917 Likes on 2,916 Posts
Happened to the C7 in September

GM slams the brakes on Corvette sales - Fortune

As for the TLX, temp drop in sales and resuming sales once sorted and solved
Also not comparable.
RPhilMan1 (12-11-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Totally comparable as car and stop sale due to parking brake
Not comparable because they are completely different cars. People will wait for a Corvette, because it's a Corvette. People looking for an into-lux sedan will not wait around for the TLX because it's the TLX. They'll move on.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Not comparable because they are completely different cars. People will wait for a Corvette, because it's a Corvette. People looking for an into-lux sedan will not wait around for the TLX because it's the TLX. They'll move on.
they're both cars, and many people once they've selected a car will wait depending on the situation (custom order, delivery,...). Happens all the time.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:19 PM

they're both cars, and many people once they've selected a car will wait depending on the situation (custom order, delivery,...). Happens all the time.
Are you kidding? You really don't see a difference here?
Old 12-10-2014, 01:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Are you kidding? You really don't see a difference here?

Nope, do you really think that everyone thinks the same way on a car purchase?
Sometimes if someone really wants something they'll wait depending on circumstance.
Again this happens all the time, as many car buys are not necessity.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:51 PM
_

I view the Corvette more as a weekend toy while the TLX is more of a daily/family car. Weekend toys can wait. Daily/family drivers? Yes, to a certain extent, but not as easily.

There also aren't as many comparable options to the Corvette to consider while there are many more for the TLX.

If I was told I had to wait an unknown amount of time for the TLX stop sale to be lifted, I would be considering other options because it'd be my daily. Could I wait? Sure. But not as long as or as easily vs a weekend toy like the Corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
justnspace (12-10-2014), RPhilMan1 (12-11-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 01:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
In short, Audi
  • figured out what their customers wanted
  • listened to what their customers wanted
  • both of the above

then gave their customers what they wanted and sales went up dramatically.

Acura on the other hand tells their customers what they want and leaves very little room for customization.
Hmm I don't know, I think Acura listened and gave customers more choices. For instance, back in the days, for the TL, you either standard model or get the navi model, that's it. Now, you can choose I4 or V6, you can choose FWD or AWD, you can choose the base trim, tech pkg, or advance pkg. I know, there's still not as much customization as others, but I think it's a bit unfair to say that Acura doesn't listen.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Nope, do you really think that everyone thinks the same way on a car purchase?
Sometimes if someone really wants something they'll wait depending on circumstance.
Again this happens all the time, as many car buys are not necessity.
Good grief, is it not self-evident to you that there are exceptions to virtually every general statement? Of course, someone will want to wait for the TLX. That being said, it is my opinion that the Corvette, being a rather unique vehicle, is going to be impacted less (as a %) than a near-lux sedan by a stop-sale order; significantly so. So much so, in fact, that your comparison of the two is ludicrous.

Last edited by ttribe; 12-10-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Hmm I don't know, I think Acura listened and gave customers more choices. For instance, back in the days, for the TL, you either standard model or get the navi model, that's it. Now, you can choose I4 or V6, you can choose FWD or AWD, you can choose the base trim, tech pkg, or advance pkg. I know, there's still not as much customization as others, but I think it's a bit unfair to say that Acura doesn't listen.
"Listening" and "adapting to survive" are two very different things. They've done just enough to stay afloat, but not enough to prosper.
AZuser (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 02:08 PM
AZ Community Team

I view the Corvette more as a weekend toy while the TLX is more of a daily/family car. Weekend toys can wait. Daily/family drivers? Yes, to a certain extent, but not as easily.

There also aren't as many comparable options to the Corvette to consider while there are many more for the TLX.

If I was told I had to wait an unknown amount of time for the TLX stop sale to be lifted, I would be considering other options because it'd be my daily. Could I wait? Sure. But not as long as or as easily vs a weekend toy like the Corvette.
Agree on the weekend Vette usage, and less likely to wait for a daily commuter.

All depends on the situation.

My 3G TL I wanted non-Nav, NBP/Camel, 6MT and had to wait 6 weeks. I was donating a 89 Legend so didn't matter I had to wait.

My father-in-law's g/f totaled her 3G TL in July, I helped her shop for a replacement. She couldn't wait (I told her to not get a 4G TL, but wait and look at the TLX). Ultimately she got a Accord V6 EX-L and couldn't wait to drive a TLX. Didn't matter since she wanted a V6 and leather and her new Accord was less than base TLX with cloth and 4 cylinder.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 12-10-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Good grief, is it not self-evident to you that there are exceptions to virtually every general statement? Of course, someone will want to wait for the TLX. That being said, it is my opinion that the Corvette, being a rather unique vehicle, is going to be impacted less (as a %) than a near-lux sedan by a stop-sale order; significantly so. So much so, in fact, that your comparison of the two is ludicrous.
The bottom line is it was a stop-sale example of a production car and what a person would do, which was comparable.

You're all hung up on the difference of the amount of people who would wait. Sure the Vette is probably more, but they are comparable events as there are plenty in 5G TLX section waiting now for their orders.

It's ludicrous to think they are not comparable.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 12-10-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:22 PM

The bottom line is it was a stop-sale example of a production car and what a person would do, which was comparable.

You're all hung up on the difference of the amount of people who would wait. Sure the Vette is probably less, but they are comparable events as there are plenty in 5G TLX section waiting now for their orders.

It's ludicrous to think they are not comparable.
Yeah, umm, okay. Comparing the impact of a stop-sale on Corvette sales to the TLX is perfectly reasonable. You've convinced me.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Yeah, umm, okay. Comparing the impact of a stop-sale on Corvette sales to the TLX is perfectly reasonable. You've convinced me.
Keep living in that black and white world
Old 12-10-2014, 02:32 PM

Keep living in that black and white world
These references to "black-and-white" thinking...

Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

People will wait for performance cars like GTR, Corvette, Porsche, or even S2000. Because there is no realistic alternative for it.

if i can't get a TLX today and i have to wait for 2-3 months? i will just go buy a 3 series or A4, Q50, or IS or even an Accord.
The following 5 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
EL19 (12-12-2014), JS + XES (12-10-2014), RPhilMan1 (12-11-2014), SamDoe1 (12-10-2014), ttribe (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
^not all people are the same. some might wait and some might not. only time will tell how this will affect tlx sales.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

"Listening" and "adapting to survive" are two very different things. They've done just enough to stay afloat, but not enough to prosper.
then why are sales doing so well for acura?
Old 12-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

it seems you have some selective memory issues.

and the answer to your next questions: Why is TLX selling well? is also in the previous pages.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

^not all people are the same. some might wait and some might not. only time will tell how this will affect tlx sales.
That just shows you had never owned a niche vehicle in your life.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
That just shows you had never owned a niche vehicle in your life.
I've owned an m3 actually. try again.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:20 PM

How many times do I need to say this? The made a good car. They made a car that's much better than the 4G. They did not make a great car. They did not make a car that will allow them to invest in significantly expanding the lineup to be more competitive.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:23 PM
_

It's been said time and again that Acura's overall sales are good because of the RDX and MDX. If you look at their car sales (i.e. non-truck sales), you'll see that they're not doing so well, both vs their prior sales numbers and against the competition. But you already knew this and I'm just f̶e̶e̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶
Old 12-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

It's been said time and again that Acura's overall sales are good because of the RDX and MDX. If you look at their car sales (i.e. non-truck sales), you'll see that they're not doing so well, both vs their prior sales numbers and against the competition. But you already knew this and I'm just f̶e̶e̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶
yeah, asking questions that are on topic is such a troll thing to do.

tlx sales have done well thus far. suv sales are a big part of all successful manufacturers sales today.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
TLX sales have done well so far because it is a brand new vehicle and it is moderately priced for a decently sized car. Those two things alone make room for tons of sales. That does not indicate what the next 3-4 years will bring.

There aren't all that many new model cars that don't sell well. And if there is one, it's generally pretty obvious why it isn't selling. It's not that acura built this legendary car called the TLX that has shook the world upside down and that's why it's selling. It's like anything else out there in the same price range.

Last edited by TacoBello; 12-10-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

I've owned an m3 actually. try again.
If you think M3 is a niche car then you really dont know what a niche car is.
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
EL19 (12-12-2014), jwong77 (12-10-2014)

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News