Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Ohhh, so now hyperbole is okay for YOU to use...gotcha.
Listen, dude. Just stop! Enough already. Stop always focusing your attention on me and stop trying to make things personal and off-topic. Can you do me a favor and just talk about the topic at hand? Do you have anything legitimate to contribute or are you here to just harass me? Get over yourself. If you want to continue this, then send me a PM. Stop polluting this thread with your waste. Pathetic...
Old 01-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Honda Fanboy

NSX to be Built in New Plant

Honda's Ohio plant was recently acknowledged for being one of the highest quality plants in the world. I can only imagine this newly built plant for the NSX will only be better.

Local officials await Honda site decision

Honda may be keeping a veil of secrecy over where its NSX sports car will be assembled, but Marysville and Union County officials are considering all news good news.

“Any time one of our employers does well, is expanding and adding on to its capacity, that’s a good thing for the city and the county,” Marysville Mayor John Gore said. “When something is good for Honda — and expansion, especially in this economy, has to be considered good — well, then, that’s good for us.”

Honda announced last week at the North American International Auto Show that it was resurrecting its high performance sports car, the NSX, which was manufactured in Japan from 1990 through 2005 and last sold for roughly $90,000. The company said the research and development and the assembly of the car would take place in central Ohio but declined to be more specific.

“We are not saying at the moment where we’ll be building the NSX,” said Ron Lietzke, assistant manager of media relations for Honda. “We expect to make our preparations in due course and to begin manufacture of the NSX in three years.”

Honda also unveiled the ninth generation of its Accord Sedan and Accord Coupe at the auto show in Detroit. The Accord will be assembled in Marys-ville.

“We’re certainly anticipating Honda’s final announcement,” county commissioner Steve Stolte said. “We had discussions this week with Eric Phillips over at the (Union County) Chamber of Commerce, making sure he’s staying on top of the story. He’s had a number of conversations with Honda personnel of late.”

Lietzke said the new NSX, a high-end, low-volume endeavor, will not be manufactured at an existing plant in Marysville or west of Columbus in East Liberty, Ohio. Rather, it will be built at its own facility. (Honda owns more than 8,500 contiguous acres of property in Liberty and Allen Townships in Union County and in Jefferson, Perry and Zane townships in Logan County.)

“That’s a real positive thing is that Honda owns 8,500 acres up here,” Stolte said. “That doesn’t guarantee they’re going to locate it here, but I’d think that gives us a leg up on a lot of other communities.”

Gore said Honda could not tell him yet how many jobs the NSX facility might add or what level of expertise assembly line workers would need to land a job there.

“No matter where they build the NSX, there should be an opportunity for the employees at the Marysville assembly lines to work there with a commute, which in turn could open up jobs here,” he said.

Honda currently employs 13,500 Ohioans and has invested more than $8 billion in its operations in the state. The auto manufacturer also purchases nearly $7 billion in parts and materials from more than 150 Ohio suppliers.

U.S. Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) lauded Honda’s decision “to add to its impressive history of Ohio manufacturing at its East Liberty and Marysville sites” and predicted the move “will give a much-needed boost to the local economy and will help create hundreds of jobs needed in the area.”

The first Honda Accord that rolled off the assembly line at Marysville in 1982 was on display at the car show, on loan from the Henry Ford Museum.

“Honda associates in Ohio have been building high-quality Honda and Acura vehicles for nearly 30 years, so this news in many ways is a culmination of their determined efforts,” said Hidenobu Iwata, head of Honda’s North American manufacturing operations and president of Honda of America Mfg. Inc.
http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/...-decision.html
Old 01-14-2012, 03:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,130 Likes on 2,566 Posts
^ I thought I read that somewhere last week. IMO this is a very smart move since I'm pretty sure they will sell more in the US than Japan and not have to deal with the yen/dollar exchange.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Fixed for clarity

To me the LFA is a failure as a supercar, it didn't bring much attention to Toyota and has not sold well. Toyota is not Ferrari so this should have been a slightly more mainstream car. And as a technology exploration project, DCT should have been on the plan all along (same goes for the GT-R).

A great example of a high performance car bringing attention to the brand is the Viper. I'm not a fan of it's brutish approach but it's been a incredible success to Dodge and Chrysler. The Ford GT is another example that not as successful as the Viper.

IMO the Toyota TRD off-road racing program was a far more successful marketing campaign than the LFA. IDNK but I'm guessing that program is fairly low cost compared to other advertising and brought alot of interest to Toyota big trucks.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Honda Fanboy

^ I thought I read that somewhere last week. IMO this is a very smart move since I'm pretty sure they will sell more in the US than Japan and not have to deal with the yen/dollar exchange.
I agree. With a brand-new plant being built from the ground up, I can only imagine that it will be world class. I'm sure it will be very high tech yet environmentally friendly. This is also a great opportunity for Acura to build a plant that can cater to a "foreign delivery" type of service ala BMW. This car will have clients who would be eager for such a service. Additionally, I won't be surprised if this new plant has its own devoted racetrack that can be used for testing and for owners to utilize when they pick up their car. Being able to meet the people who worked together to build your specific car would be a nice touch as well.

If this plant stays exclusive to the NSX, I believe this will be the first Acura-only plant that Honda has ever built.

Acura has a lot of options/opportunities with this new plant. I hope they take advantage of it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Fixed for clarity

To me the LFA is a failure as a supercar, it didn't bring much attention to Toyota and has not sold well. Toyota is not Ferrari so this should have been a slightly more mainstream car. And as a technology exploration project, DCT should have been on the plan all along (same goes for the GT-R).

A great example of a high performance car bringing attention to the brand is the Viper. I'm not a fan of it's brutish approach but it's been a incredible success to Dodge and Chrysler. The Ford GT is another example that not as successful as the Viper.

IMO the Toyota TRD off-road racing program was a far more successful marketing campaign than the LFA. IDNK but I'm guessing that program is fairly low cost compared to other advertising and brought alot of interest to Toyota big trucks.
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
How can the LFA prop the Lexus brand when nobody knows it exists? When people don't see the car/aren't buying it, it's failed to meet its purpose.

That was a nice blog article though.

I have to completely disagree with both of you. The LFA brought attention to Toyota from the media, auto blogs, and car enthusiasts that it hasn't had since the days of the Supra. Sure its not a huge seller, but it was never meant to be. Was the NSX a huge seller, no, but it made people interested in a brand they might have never would have cared about before and that's the whole point of a "halo" car. I personally couldn't have cared about Toyota/Lexus before the LFA came out (save the IS-F) and I bet I'm not the only one. That car was made to get people to notice Toyota's ability to build a real pure performance car and I think it accomplished that goal.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by mikeschicagoRL
I have to completely disagree with both of you. The LFA brought attention to Toyota from the media, auto blogs, and car enthusiasts that it hasn't had since the days of the Supra. Sure its not a huge seller, but it was never meant to be. Was the NSX a huge seller, no, but it made people interested in a brand they might have never would have cared about before and that's the whole point of a "halo" car. I personally couldn't have cared about Toyota/Lexus before the LFA came out (save the IS-F) and I bet I'm not the only one. That car was made to get people to notice Toyota's ability to build a real pure performance car and I think it accomplished that goal.
This is the part where I feel the LFA has ultimately failed in. How are people supposed to notice what Toyota has accomplished with the LFA if they are never going to see it? The only people who know about the car are enthusiasts. Enthusiasts already know about Toyota and what it is capable of. What about the mainstream consumer though? This car does nothing for them because they will probably never see one, let alone hear of it. Isn't one of the main points of a halo car to increase brand recognition? A car that hardly anyone is buying and that nobody will see doesn't do anything for recognition. It's barely any better than a concept car that never makes it into production.

Additionally, lets say someone does see the car and they are just wowed! They go to their Toyota dealer to check one out and after they shit a brick from hearing the price, what else is available in the lineup with LFA DNA for them to pick from? Nothing. The LFA is a car that is supposed to represent the Lexus brand and what it is capable of, yet Lexus has nothing in its lineup that is even remotely similar to an LFA, or anything confirmed to be coming in the near future.

The LFA is an exceptional example of what Toyota/Yamaha is capable of, but it's a $375,000 car that isn't the best at anything it does. It missed the point of a being a halo, IMO.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mikeschicagoRL
The problems with the NSX were two

1) Honda marketing surveys found it had no measurable effect on getting people interested in Honda or Acura's

2) It was suppose to break even or make a small profit, it did not.

Most folks here get the concept of halo cars sometimes are to drive customers to a brand to look at another vehicle. Sometimes that works (IMO Viper, Vette ZR1, Audi R8/10) other times no (IMO LFA). There was media attention for the LFA, but it was purely the auto magazines.

BTW, the whole point of the halo car is not allows the same. Case in point the McLaren F1, that was their only product. It's purpose was multi, Murray wanted to show the auto world what a real super car was in terms of a F1 designers. Dennis thought it was going to generate some profits. Now McLaren is trying it again with the MP4-12C with their own engine.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 nsx

New member. New Honda/Acura owner - bought my first yesterday (2010 ZDX)

Saw some pics of the upcoming NSX and I really like what they did with it. I am thankful they ditched the V10. I will be at the Detroit auto show next weekend and I will take some photos. I will post them once I get permission. I will get some questions answered as well.

I look forward to learning from all of you Acura veterans.

J
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,261 Likes on 4,875 Posts
Welcome.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the V10?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
This is the part where I feel the LFA has ultimately failed in. How are people supposed to notice what Toyota has accomplished with the LFA if they are never going to see it? The only people who know about the car are enthusiasts. Enthusiasts already know about Toyota and what it is capable of. What about the mainstream consumer though?
There is where your blind fanboy ignorance fails you (as always)...Mainstream consumers DO know about the LFA. Lots of "regular" consumer have been subjected to images of the car for the last three years worth of auto show coverage.

Some know the name, others don't...but they all know about the big sleek Lexus sport car.

It missed the point of a being a halo, IMO.
Good thing know one goes by or cares about your opinion.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by saba007
New member. New Honda/Acura owner - bought my first yesterday (2010 ZDX)

Saw some pics of the upcoming NSX and I really like what they did with it. I am thankful they ditched the V10. I will be at the Detroit auto show next weekend and I will take some photos. I will post them once I get permission. I will get some questions answered as well.

I look forward to learning from all of you Acura veterans.

J
Welcome, I'm glad Honda ditched the front engine location and went back to the NSX roots of mid-engine. Far better for handling performance.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
This is the part where I feel the LFA has ultimately failed in. How are people supposed to notice what Toyota has accomplished with the LFA if they are never going to see it? The only people who know about the car are enthusiasts. Enthusiasts already know about Toyota and what it is capable of. What about the mainstream consumer though? This car does nothing for them because they will probably never see one, let alone hear of it. Isn't one of the main points of a halo car to increase brand recognition? A car that hardly anyone is buying and that nobody will see doesn't do anything for recognition. It's barely any better than a concept car that never makes it into production.

Additionally, lets say someone does see the car and they are just wowed! They go to their Toyota dealer to check one out and after they shit a brick from hearing the price, what else is available in the lineup with LFA DNA for them to pick from? Nothing. The LFA is a car that is supposed to represent the Lexus brand and what it is capable of, yet Lexus has nothing in its lineup that is even remotely similar to an LFA, or anything confirmed to be coming in the near future.

The LFA is an exceptional example of what Toyota/Yamaha is capable of, but it's a $375,000 car that isn't the best at anything it does. It missed the point of a being a halo, IMO.

Don't think you fully understand the concept of a halo car
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
Don't think you fully understand the concept of a halo car
Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
The point of the LF-A is to show off their technology and engineering, and is priced to be exclusive to increase the brand's perceived value. Customers that walk into a Lexus dealership will see the LF-A, be impressed, and hopefully test drive one of Lexus' more affordable cars under the assumption that the same kind of engineering has gone into the car they are buying. No one is going to look at the LF-A and complain that their IS250 doesn't have a V10 or racing seats, and IS-F buyers will associate their car with the performance of the LF-A.

It is the mass-market cars that are designed to increase a brand's recognition. Look at BMW: there isn't a single halo car in their current lineup, but critics and customers everywhere praise their engines and driving dynamics that each one of their cars is known for. The same can't be said for Mercedes or Audi, despite the SLS and R8.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
How can the LFA prop the Lexus brand when nobody knows it exists? When people don't see the car/aren't buying it, it's failed to meet its purpose.

That was a nice blog article though.
Seriously now....you have to be kidding.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 AM
AZ Community Team

^ The majority of the mainstream auto consumers have no clue what a LFA is or would recognize it on sight.

Lexus, Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, Viper, 911... all well known names and sights but not the LFA.

Auto enthusiasts sure but not the mainstream auto consumers.
VTEC Racer (01-17-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,077 Likes on 3,908 Posts
^ The majority of the mainstream auto consumers have no clue what a LFA is or would recognize it on sight.

Lexus, Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, Viper, 911... all well known names and sights but not the LFA.

And how long have those examples been around? Decades, at a minimum. How about the LFA? Give it, the LFA, time to be recognized. The sheer price of it will keep it exclusive.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
The Third Ball

Again not true. People know of the Lexus "supercar"
And by people I mean the average joe schmo.
ttribe (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 5,915 Likes on 2,915 Posts
Listen, dude. Just stop! Enough already. Stop always focusing your attention on me and stop trying to make things personal and off-topic. Can you do me a favor and just talk about the topic at hand? Do you have anything legitimate to contribute or are you here to just harass me? Get over yourself. If you want to continue this, then send me a PM. Stop polluting this thread with your waste. Pathetic...
Good grief! Talk about histrionics. Let me help you out - you freak out when people criticize Honda/Acura and make use of hyperbole in the process. When you do it, it's to anyone who calls you on it. If anyone needs to "get over" one's self...well, enough said.

BTW, I didn't make it "personal"; I responded to what, and how, you posted. That's it. How can I make it "personal" when I don't have a clue who you are?

Last edited by ttribe; 01-16-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Again not true. People know of the Lexus "supercar"
And by people I mean the average joe schmo.
I did some Googling and could find nothing to prove it one way or the other. IMO most auto consumers have no idea what a LFA is.

We're all pretty much enthusiasts in these forums so we do here but I believe the average car person has no clue, and I'd be willing to bet that 70% of the main stream car owners have no idea when shown a picture of the LFA or were told LFA.
VTEC Racer (01-17-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pttl
And how long have those examples been around? Decades, at a minimum. How about the LFA? Give it, the LFA, time to be recognized. The sheer price of it will keep it exclusive.
Good point but also important is getting the product media press. Besides car magazines I just don't see LFA anywhere (movies, music videos, mainstream magazines...). At least Maybach had some of their cars in Rap and hip/hop videos's, to their dismay.

The LFA to me is another BMW M1, great car but not well known outside the real car folks.
VTEC Racer (01-17-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
The Third Ball

Yeah. And i talk a lot of people who aren't enthusiasts, actually most people I interact with aren't car folk. They all mention the LFA in discussion not me.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Yeah. And i talk a lot of people who aren't enthusiasts, actually most people I interact with aren't car folk. They all mention the LFA in discussion not me.

That's you, i have yet to meet one person mention the LFA and that includes a handful of Lexus owners of various models.

So that's a sample of two, but I'd be willing to still place a bet the majority of mainstream auto owners have no clue what a LFA is.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by knavinusa
The point of the LF-A is to show off their technology and engineering, and is priced to be exclusive to increase the brand's perceived value. Customers that walk into a Lexus dealership will see the LF-A, be impressed, and hopefully test drive one of Lexus' more affordable cars under the assumption that the same kind of engineering has gone into the car they are buying. No one is going to look at the LF-A and complain that their IS250 doesn't have a V10 or racing seats, and IS-F buyers will associate their car with the performance of the LF-A.

It is the mass-market cars that are designed to increase a brand's recognition. Look at BMW: there isn't a single halo car in their current lineup, but critics and customers everywhere praise their engines and driving dynamics that each one of their cars is known for. The same can't be said for Mercedes or Audi, despite the SLS and R8.
What I love most of BMW's M-group is they have principle in their purpose and philosophy. Their director made fun of MB putting AMG badges on almost every car model they made. When the M-group tuned the X5, they strongly protested BMW giving it the M-group nomenclaure. So they compromised on X5 4.6is but no M-badge. Heck MB even sell models with AMG wheel/trim packages.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM
AZ Community Team

I agree. With a brand-new plant being built from the ground up, I can only imagine that it will be world class. I'm sure it will be very high tech yet environmentally friendly. This is also a great opportunity for Acura to build a plant that can cater to a "foreign delivery" type of service ala BMW. This car will have clients who would be eager for such a service. Additionally, I won't be surprised if this new plant has its own devoted racetrack that can be used for testing and for owners to utilize when they pick up their car. Being able to meet the people who worked together to build your specific car would be a nice touch as well.

If this plant stays exclusive to the NSX, I believe this will be the first Acura-only plant that Honda has ever built.

Acura has a lot of options/opportunities with this new plant. I hope they take advantage of it.
I'm curious as to what kind of plant they will build. The Viper plant shown on the Nat Geo Ultimate Factories is a more hand assembly plant which makes it hard to use for other models. The original NSX plant was it's sole purpose and it's infrastructure was not easily changed to a moving flow (floor or overhead).

This is a pure guess but 250K-500K ft2 building is what would be required to hand build a low rate (~2-4K/yr) production NSX assembly area assuming that motor/gearboxes are built elsewhere (foundry and machining). Also assuming Kanban approach to SCM.

BTW, if you're ever around York PA, take a tour of the Harley Davidson assembly plant. Excellent tour of a real factory, forklifts come whizzing by, alot of interesting approaches to customization also.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-16-2012 at 11:47 AM.
VTEC Racer (01-17-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM

What I love most of BMW's M-group is they have principle in their purpose and philosophy. Their director made fun of MB putting AMG badges on almost every car model they made. When the M-group tuned the X5, they strongly protested BMW giving it the M-group nomenclaure. So they compromised on X5 4.6is but no M-badge. Heck MB even sell models with AMG wheel/trim packages.
I'm confused about what you're trying to say...BMW sells an X5M and an X6M. Also, you can get an "M Performance Package" for every one of their models.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 PM
AZ Community Team

I'm confused about what you're trying to say...BMW sells an X5M and an X6M. Also, you can get an "M Performance Package" for every one of their models.
Guess they went back on the director, wasn't aware of the X5/X6 M. The previous 4.6is was a M-group project but M-group protested any M nomenclature. The suspension packages they've had but M nomenclature is still reserved, there' no M7 for instance.

Then again BMW M-group also dropped their exclusive engines recently as well for the M-group. The new new 5 is a derivative of the inside V turbo V8 with different runners and some hardware.

In the past M-group made mostly exclusive motors for the M-cars. That appears to be changing now, perhaps BMW and MB have changed over now that AMG did their purpose built NA 6.3L V8. That was the critism of AMG in the German auto press in the 2000's when MB mostly just super/turbo charged their motors for the AMG division. AMG went and built their own motor.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-16-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Guess they went back on the director, wasn't aware of the X5/X6 M. The previous 4.6is was a M-group project but M-group protested any M nomenclature. The suspension packages they've had but M nomenclature is still reserved, there' no M7 for instance.

Then again BMW M-group also dropped their exclusive engines recently as well for the M-group. The new new 5 is a derivative of the inside V turbo V8 with different runners and some hardware.

In the past M-group made mostly exclusive motors for the M-cars. That appears to be changing now, perhaps BMW and MB have changed over now that AMG did their purpose built NA 6.3L V8. That was the critism of AMG in the German auto press in the 2000's when MB mostly just super/turbo charged their motors for the AMG division. AMG went and built their own motor.
Unfortunately, economic realities tend to ruin a lot of the exclusivity fun.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Unfortunately, economic realities tend to ruin a lot of the exclusivity fun.
Hold onto you're M5, it's V10 motor is exclusive unlike the next gen M5.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM

Hold onto you're M5, it's V10 motor is exclusive unlike the next gen M5.
In many respects, the E60 M5 is the end of an era. Last of the naturally aspirated. Last of the M-only engines. Only model to ever have that engine.

In other news, I guy from the M5board just supercharged his E60 M5: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...vt2-story.html
Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
AZ Community Team

In many respects, the E60 M5 is the end of an era. Last of the naturally aspirated. Last of the M-only engines. Only model to ever have that engine.

In other news, I guy from the M5board just supercharged his E60 M5: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...vt2-story.html
IIRC the E46 M3 cast iron block motor had to be approved by the BMW board since it was also exclusive in design and production and the BMW bean-counters wanted a tuned up E46 AL block straight six.

The Chrysler beancounters and Viper folks sorta compromised on the cast iron V10 for their trucks on the Viper. The Viper got AL for heads and block but had to use all the variants of the existing internals (rods/valves/pistons/crankshaft/...)
Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by pttl
That is EXACTLY the point of the HALO car.

One walks up to the LFA not knowing who or what makes this fantastic looking vehicle.....then.....they see the Lexus "L" logo.....and it blows their mind.

Now they have a whole new take on Lexus.

Enthusiasts know the LFA, average consumer does not...and they do not expect it from the brand.

When they walk into the dealership to buy say an ES...and then they see the LFA on a poster or brochures, they could have never imagined Lexus producing such a vehicle....and then, almost immediately they have an even greater appreciation for the brand.

That's why you build the HALO car.
ttribe (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
you guys have derailed this thread worse than SSFTSX.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by phile
you guys have derailed this thread worse than SSFTSX.
No derail here. It's just baffling that even in an enthusiast forum, there are some people that still don't understand how or why an automaker builds a HALO car.

It's pretty simple.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
No derail here. It's just baffling that even in an enthusiast forum, there are some people that still don't understand how or why an automaker builds a HALO car.

It's pretty simple.
It may seem simple but it's not, sometimes it's more than just getting people into the showroom.

Mansour Ojjeh, Ron Dennis, and Gordon Murray all had different reasons to design and develop the McLaren F1.

As for the NSX, IMO it's about prestige and hopefully attracting attention to Honda.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

It may seem simple but it's not, sometimes it's more than just getting people into the showroom.

Mansour Ojjeh, Ron Dennis, and Gordon Murray all had different reasons to design and develop the McLaren F1.

As for the NSX, IMO it's about prestige and hopefully attracting attention to Honda.

Why are you comparing McLaren to Acura, Lexus, Audi..et al?

That is a horrible comparison that makes ZERO sense.

McLaren does not produce volume vehicles at lower price ranges than their supercar.

It seems you still don't understand why makes like Acura, Lexus, Audi build a HALO car.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Why are you comparing McLaren to Acura, Lexus, Audi..et al?

That is a horrible comparison that makes ZERO sense.

McLaren does not produce volume vehicles at lower price ranges than their supercar.

It seems you still don't understand why makes like Acura, Lexus, Audi build a HALO car.

It's a halo car pure and simple, it makes plenty of sense and again it seems you don;t get it. A halo car can be built by Vector, Saleen, Bugatti, McLaren (trying it again), as well as MB, Honda, Ford (the GT was actually mostly built by Saleen)...

It's not limited to mass production manufacturers. Maybe that's your definition but most people I believe a halo car is exclusive in performance, features, and production.

You still don't get that it can be different reasons, the BMW M1 was built partly for homologation for the ProCar Group 4/5 racing. Ferrari would build limited edition road cars when his race teams needed more money. It's not all about prestige and attention for the brand, thought that's probably the most common reason.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-16-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Homologation
Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM

It's a halo car pure and simple, it makes plenty of sense and again it seems you don;t get it. A halo car can be built by Vector, Saleen, Bugatti, McLaren (trying it again), as well as MB, Honda, Ford (the GT was actually mostly built by Saleen)...

It's not limited to mass production manufacturers. Maybe that's your definition but most people I believe a Halo car is exclusive in performance, features, and production.
Here's the problem; this definition of yours is most definitely not universal. A Halo car is intended to make everything else in the line look better (hence the angelic "halo" term). Rolls Royce, for example, has no "Halo car" in the traditional sense. Why? Because the entire brand is exclusive; there's no need for such a thing. Lexus, on the other hand, wanted to raise its brand image. Hence, the LF-A.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
In my view, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston etc don't not have a Halo car. They don't need one.

Definition: a unique automobile designed to draw attention to the brand
Example: People come to see the halo car and then buy one of the regular models
Etymology: allusion to the vehicle's putting a "halo" over the brand name

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News