Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:22 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
acura isn't sponsoring comedians in cars getting coffee just because they like jerry seinfeld:

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Not sure what your picture is showing, but....
the point is that it's not a one-way relationship. the show gets sponsorship dollars from acura and acura gets ad time.
OMG!!! Is that how sponsorship works???

So if A gives sponsorship dollars to B and B gives ad placement and time to A, that must mean....

OMFG!!! Under Armour is sponsoring Jordan Spieth. That explains why he's always seen wearing Under Armour apparel on television during his golf games.
Acura: NSX News-mb00ycb.jpg

And that's why Tiger Woods is always seen wearing Nike apparel... because Nike is sponsoring Woods.
Acura: NSX News-sb5cat1.jpg

Shit! No wonder I kept seeing Budweiser and Hyundai all over the place during World Cup 2014... it's because Budweiser and Hyundai were sponsoring FIFA.
Acura: NSX News-bywrmil.jpg
Acura: NSX News-axxzrak.png

Holy shit!!!
Acura: NSX News-0z3r4se.jpg
Old 03-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Looks cool, but I wonder how it stacks up against the cars it was said to be competing against, like the 458 or R8, or whatever else. It would also be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new 488. Is it that much slower? Can it keep up?
Yup.

Can't wait until the reviewers finally gets allowed to put the NSX through its paces up against the competitors.

Would love to see these cars lined up side by side for a massive all out drag race. And a week long massive test on various tracks and whatnot.

NSX
Huracan
R8 V10
GT-R Nismo
McLaren 570S
911 Turbo S
AMG GT-S
C7 Z07
Viper ACR
Challenger Hellcat
V12 Vantage
i8 (eh....probably shouldn't be here because this will be embarrassed but it is classified as a hybrid sportscar....)

Also a very interesting price points on these as well ranging from less than 70k MSRP to ~250k.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JTYankFan
Lol, I fit HARDLY any of those..
No worries man....98% of the population don't fit either....it's a car for the very few.

Not sure how many active AZiner members are actually able to comfortably afford one anyway.

Maybe 10 years down the road for a used example could be relatively affordable if one has their finances all in order.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
How's this personal? You really don't ever give up and that's a fact I don't expect you to agree with me. I don't expect to agree with you. But I do know when to admit I'm wrong and stop.
it's personal because you've made comments about me personally. really not that complicated. I don't agree with your view on this. I know you think you're right but I don't and that's something you're just going to have to accept.

Seinfeld has never [publicly] owned an Acura in his life he's all about Porsche. Maybe he wanted Porsche to sponsor the show and they said no. So he moved down the list until finally someone said yes. Or maybe Accavitti and Seinfeld happened to be at the same coffee shop, at the same time and something just happened. There's way too much to speculate.

A guy who has a very high taste for some very expensive cars likely isn't looking for or interested in a 25-60k sedan. I don't buy it. And I don't mean he has a few. Just recently he was auctioning of several millions of dollars worth of his collection. Maybe if they gave him a free one, but I haven't seen that either. Sorry.
I don't have a list of every car that seinfeld has ever owned. I wouldn't be surprised if he has owned or owns a 1g nsx and I bet he ends up owning a 2g nsx. you mentioned seinfeld not "making much noise about still wanting one" but that's not exactly true which is why I linked that bloomberg article. speculation is right, so I'll leave it there.

I guess you missed the point where people were agreeing with me and not you
you want a cookie?
Old 03-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AZuser
OMG!!! Is that how sponsorship works???

So if A gives sponsorship dollars to B and B gives ad placement and time to A, that must mean....

OMFG!!! Under Armour is sponsoring Jordan Spieth. That explains why he's always seen wearing Under Armour apparel on television during his golf games.

And that's why Tiger Woods is always seen wearing Nike apparel... because Nike is sponsoring Woods.

Shit! No wonder I kept seeing Budweiser and Hyundai all over the place during World Cup 2014... it's because Budweiser and Hyundai were sponsoring FIFA.

Holy shit!!!
cool story bro.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nist7
I know right. Not to mention it likely needs some very very deep/thorough intereior cleaning.....

But obviously they are riding on Trump's momentum in the political arena right now. No one would pay 288k for that thought

Also, just uploaded today.

NSX Launch Control demo:

TOV Video: 2017 Acura NSX Launch Control Demonstration - YouTube
wonder if those were the all season tires?
Old 03-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The big question is is can the NSX transmission actually built correctly (IE not be a POS like all their other trans that arent manual) or will Acura void the warranty if you use the Launch control so they dont have to worry about it?
Old 03-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Swoosh and I went to the Kansas City Auto Show (the new car show) this weekend....no NSX.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The big question is is can the NSX transmission actually built correctly (IE not be a POS like all their other trans that arent manual) or will Acura void the warranty if you use the Launch control so they dont have to worry about it?
Yup, just a waiting game. I assume they want to avoid the whole GT-R launch control debacle.

Would be really stupid if it were the latter....use a factory-installed feature...warranty voided.....

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Swoosh and I went to the Kansas City Auto Show (the new car show) this weekend....no NSX.
Nice. I had to work this weekend otherwise I would've gone as well (a buddy called in a rain check for coming down to KC to chill so bleh!)

But yeah sucks that the NSX wouldn't be there. Guess KC is too small fish for them. Though we do have our own little share of the uber rich.

Hey hope swoosh is doing good. Haven't seen him since he worked on my car last year and I briefly entertained buying some of his go-fast/loud parts...but thought better with my left brain since
Old 03-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I'm kind of surprised. I thought it'd be making it's rounds through every auto show now. I seriously do not understand Acura or their marketing.
The following users liked this post:
Steven Bell (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Safety Car

I'm kind of surprised. I thought it'd be making it's rounds through every auto show now. I seriously do not understand Acura or their marketing.
Seriously dude. I was excited for the auto show but then realized the smaller KC market and I became immediately despondent because I had a strong feeling the NSX may not be here...and of course wasn't....Acura.....
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I asked at Jay Wolfe about the amount of pre-orders. At that dealership, they only have 2 NSX pre-orders.....gee, I wonder why.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
you want a cookie?

........ why are you still here?
Old 03-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
........ why are you still here?
to talk about the 2g nsx...obviously.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Report: Acura NSX Type R Under Consideration, Could Go Rear-Wheel Drive

Report: Acura NSX Type R Under Consideration, Could Go Rear-Wheel Drive - Automobile

Report: Acura NSX Type R Under Consideration, Could Go Rear-Wheel Drive

We waited a very long time to see the production version of the Acura NSX, and now there are already rumblings of a more aggressive version. Though nothing has been officially put into motion, Acura NSX Dynamic Development Leader Nick Robinson told Autocar that engineers are interested in a sportier Type R version of the new hybrid supercar.

Robinson reportedly said that Acura and Honda insiders are interested in the idea of a lighter NSX, which could be achieved in part by stripping out certain components and replacing them with more exotic lightweight materials. “There are places weight could be cut out,” he told Autocar. “We are Honda so cost is a consideration, but for a limited edition? Why not?”...

Old 03-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

aaaaaaaaaaaaand even though it's designed and built in Ohio, it'll likely only be sold in Japan
Old 03-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

A RWD, lighter-weight NSX-R under consideration by Honda:

Honda is considering making a lighter, track-focused Type R version of its new NSX sports car, which could even become rear-wheel drive if Honda were to abandon parts of the NSX’s hybrid powertrain.

At the moment, the NSX has a 500bhp 3.5-litre, twin-turbo V6 engine in its middle, with a 47bhp electric motor attached to the crank and driving the rear wheels, and a pair of electric motors at the front. A Type R could mean the loss of the front electric motors and their batteries, in the first wave of a weight loss regime that, in total, would leave the NSX type R weighing hundreds of kilos less than its 1725kg donor car.

Nick Robinson, Dynamic Development Leader on the NSX project, confirmed at the launch of the standard NSX that, although the Type R project hasn’t officially been signed off yet, there is a huge will within Honda do to it – and the hope that the new NSX is just the start of a revival of the company’s sporting heritage. The NSX Type R would be the logical next step.

All in, the NSX’s hybrid drive system weighs 150kg. Although not all of that would be dispensed with to create a Type R – the rear drive motor, which would act as an alternator, starter motor and flywheel would remain – its loss would make a considerable difference to the NSX’s 1725kg kerbweight.

Intelligent use of other, lightweight, materials, could reduce the Type R’s kerbweight yet further. “There are places weight could be cut out,” says Robinson. “We are Honda so cost [of exotic materials on the regular car] is a consideration, but for a limited edition? Why not?”

The regular NSX was benchmarked against a Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari 458 Italia and Audi R8 V10. “We also benchmarked a Porsche 911 991 GT3,” says Robinson, “but only for steering feel, that’s all. The GT3 is a very track focused car. But for a Type R, of course, it could be a direct competitor,” he said.

If the front-drive mechanisms were to be ditched, Honda has some experience of the NSX in rear-driven form only. “There is a maintenance mode,” says Robinson, who likened enabling it to enabling cheats on a PlayStation games console – press up up, down down, left two right two, etc – in which form ABS and all electric motor assistance is switched out. Robinson says the handling and steering are slightly odd, because the latter, particularly, is calibrated to work in conjunction with driven front wheels. But he concedes “it’s a drift machine”.

A rear-wheel drive NSX will even be racing at this year’s Pikes Peak hillclimb; one of two new NSXs that’ll be taking part with official Honda backing.

Robinson will be driving a near-production NSX, with just a roll cage and fire retardant to make it compliant with the regulations. But Robinson’s brother James – a principle powertrain engineer with Honda himself - will also be racing another, albeit altogether different, new NSX.

James Robinson’s heavily modified car will be shorn of the hybrid powertrain system, so will only be rear driven, and though it will retain the 3.5-litre, twin-turbocharged V6 engine, it’ll be making rather more power than standard – and will feature electric superchargers to fill the torque gap at the bottom of the rev range. Thus super- and turbocharged, it will, says brother Nick, make considerably more power than the 500bhp of the standard engine.

Robinson (Nick) also confirmed that Honda had worked on active aerodynamics for the NSX project and that although the standard car does without them, they could fit the ethos of a Type R project.

Finally, Robinson also confirmed that a convertible-roofed version of the NSX is likely to follow the coupe to market. The body is exceptionally rigid, and losing the roof panel would make precious little difference: fitting the optional carbon fibre roof to the standard NSX saves 5kg but makes no discernible difference to torsional rigidity. “I’m not that convinced by a convertible myself yet, but [technically] it’s possible,” Robinson said.

Honda NSX Type R under consideration | Autocar

edit: looks like I was beat to the punch. Work PC can be slow as crap with chrome freezing up tabs.....
Old 03-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Honestly, I just wish Honda/Acura would go to the drawing boards and internally decide whether this is feasible or not, and design/build it without any noise until it's ready. They once again are getting ahead of themselves by talking about the car first before anything even happens. Now people will either be forced to wait for it, potentially not buying the "base" NSX, or will be thoroughly dissapointed if cancelled.

You'd think they'd have learned from their debacle of announcing the 2G NSX, 4 years in advance...
fsttyms1 (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:20 AM
AZ Community Team

that was an interesting read. I never knew the 1g nsx was such an inspiration for the mclaren f1. he had to find that balance between performance and practicality. thanks for posting.
Yeah Murray is a pretty amazing engineer/designer and fairly reserved and mild mannered.

Nice read....the 1G NSX was truly legendary...and can be thought of as one of the forces behind/inspiration to the F1 and modern Ferraris/Porsches.

For so many reasons, don't think the 2G NSX can ever live up to that standard.
Yeah, it's a much different market space these days for exotics and supercars compared to 25 years ago.

Originally Posted by Costco
No doubt the man is an automotive pioneer and genius. But as far as his own personal 1G NSX, he did it to make the car more fun than anything. I totally understand where he's coming from, as the GT86's chief engineer outfitted the Toyobaru with Prius OEM tires for the same reason. Yet this is a car that isn't all about performance figures - it's more about fun to drive and feel.

In this thread we're discussing power figures and weight... no doubt people here are criticizing outright performance. All-seasons aren't the answer.
I think Murray from his words below was tired of replacing tires so often, but after he went to harder rear tires the driving fun increased.

There are a few things that could be improved on the NSX. First, the tires are too soft. Over the seven years I ran mine, I went through 14 sets of tires. After changing over to harder-compound Michelins in the rear, my tire life increased. As a result, rear grip was decreased slightly, but driving became more fun.

I do agree that summer tires should have been standard, but can't see all the drama and debate over it as well.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-09-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Honestly, I just wish Honda/Acura would go to the drawing boards and internally decide whether this is feasible or not, and design/build it without any noise until it's ready. They once again are getting ahead of themselves by talking about the car first before anything even happens. Now people will either be forced to wait for it, potentially not buying the "base" NSX, or will be thoroughly dissapointed if cancelled.

You'd think they'd have learned from their debacle of announcing the 2G NSX, 4 years in advance...
You know when I saw the news piece about the NSX-R...I immediately thought about how long THIS will take...and the subsequent jokes that will ensue on here.

Now to be fair...this is not official official from Honda but a journalist likely talking with a NSX leader about this and as he has said this on the record...we also assume this information was not under NDA/embargo so it's probably more like officially unofficial "leak" by Honda...maybe it is to drum up excitement.

We'll see how soon/feasible this is. It's gonna spread in the auto news world and will be very disappointing if it is delayed alot or the final product is under-whelming.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts

To be fair, as mentioned by Nist7, it's not like Honda is making a an official announcement about it. Heck, Nick didn't even say anything concrete. It's all speculation from a few words spoke by an engineer. It's sort of like the journalist was asking about Type R plans, and the engineer is like, "oh that would be nice and we would love to do it. We know what areas we can improve on given a higher budget like saving some weight and stuff."

I don't think they really saw much wrong with the 2G NSX announcement 4 years ago. The Likes of R35 GTR and Lexus LFA both took even more time. The GT-R concept came out in 2001 (which eventually came out in 2007), and the first LFA concept was shown in 2005 (and came out in 2010).

The main issue is that Honda didn't know exactly what they wanted to do for its halo sports car until 2012.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I missed about 2 months or 10 pages of NSX loving.... what is new?
Old 03-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Hendrick bought #001 for 1.2 mil at Barrett Jackson last month.

Online configurator with pricing is online: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...17-nsx-942282/

People are not happy with market adjustment of MSRP.

Actual confirmed orders and production/delivery dates still mystery. NSX Prime has some unconfirmed reports of production in April/May with staggered ordering and rumors of dealers already placing orders already within these recent days.

Possible RWD, lighter NSX-R in the works (see immediate posts above)

Last edited by nist7; 03-09-2016 at 04:05 PM.
oonowindoo (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

The Acura NSX Has a Cheat Mode That Turns Off All-Wheel Drive and ABS

"There is a maintenance mode," says Robinson, who likened enabling it to enabling cheats on a PlayStation games console—press up up, down down, left two right two, etc—in which form ABS and all electric motor assistance is switched out. Robinson says the handling and steering are slightly odd, because the latter, particularly, is calibrated to work in conjunction with driven front wheels. But he concedes "it's a drift machine".
Now if only there's a button to make all the weight disappear as well when you turn off the SH-AWD....
ttribe (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Team Owner

honestly, you didn't miss anything.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Apex - Issue 1 - The NSX Edition
Old 03-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Release date yet...?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

Hendrick bought #001 for 1.2 mil at Barrett Jackson last month.

Online configurator with pricing is online: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...17-nsx-942282/

People are not happy with market adjustment of MSRP.

Actual confirmed orders and production/delivery dates still mystery. NSX Prime has some unconfirmed reports of production in April/May with staggered ordering and rumors of dealers already placing orders already within these recent days.

Possible RWD, lighter NSX-R in the works (see immediate posts above)
Thank you sir.

damn 001 was sold at $1.2M? We will know down the road if that investment pays off.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

The Acura NSX Has a Cheat Mode That Turns Off All-Wheel Drive and ABS

Now if only there's a button to make all the weight disappear as well when you turn off the SH-AWD....
- buy a new NSX - $200k
- take it to a shop the next day to to disconnect the FWD drive train and remove battery - $30k
- Retune the car and get new summer tires - $10k
- Having a car that how it was supposed to be built from the factory - priceless
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
nist7 (03-09-2016), ttribe (03-09-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Seriously dude. I was excited for the auto show but then realized the smaller KC market and I became immediately despondent because I had a strong feeling the NSX may not be here...and of course wasn't....Acura.....
I'll be at the Amelia Island Concours D'elegance this weekend and would be slightly surprised to see a 2G NSX.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
To be fair, as mentioned by Nist7, it's not like Honda is making a an official announcement about it. Heck, Nick didn't even say anything concrete. It's all speculation from a few words spoke by an engineer. It's sort of like the journalist was asking about Type R plans, and the engineer is like, "oh that would be nice and we would love to do it. We know what areas we can improve on given a higher budget like saving some weight and stuff."

I don't think they really saw much wrong with the 2G NSX announcement 4 years ago. The Likes of R35 GTR and Lexus LFA both took even more time. The GT-R concept came out in 2001 (which eventually came out in 2007), and the first LFA concept was shown in 2005 (and came out in 2010).

The main issue is that Honda didn't know exactly what they wanted to do for its halo sports car until 2012.
But its their typical banter. They "talk" about things to the press left and right but never fully implement, or make good on what they actually speak of. If all you are doing is talking with little to no intent on doing, we are best not to be told. Its like putting your kid in the car, driving him down to the toy store and pointing out all the toys to him then driving off. If there is no intent on letting him get out and get one why go there in the first place.
The following 3 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
nist7 (03-10-2016), TacoBello (03-10-2016), ttribe (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Thank you sir.

damn 001 was sold at $1.2M? We will know down the road if that investment pays off.
Yeah, Hendrick has been buying up #001 cars for the past few years it seems. Remember him buying other #001 cars last year to two as well.

FOr someone with his wealth...its not too high cost for investment.

But its their typical banter. They "talk" about things to the press left and right but never fully implement, or make good on what they actually speak of. If all you are doing is talking with little to no intent on doing, we are best not to be told. Its like putting your kid in the car, driving him down to the toy store and pointing out all the toys to him then driving off. If there is no intent on letting him get out and get one why go there in the first place.
Agreed.

I had been a more of a NSX supporter but after doing more reading and looking at the history of the NSX and been more active on here in the past year I've been more moving to the other side and been more disappointed at Honda.

Oh well looks like a 1G NSX will still be a dream car to attain.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
I totally understand what you mean. But I'm not sure about that being "typical." For instance, what's the next RLX going to be like? What's the plan for a car that slots between S660 and NSX?

Your response from the above questions would probably be,

"oh it's because they havent planned anything."

Is it? Or is it possible that they are just withholding information, like you just described?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Team Owner

Maybe it's just me, but Honda seems to have a history of leaking car information way ahead. They did with the new ridgeline. They did with the new NSX. They did with the new Civic. They did with the s660. You name it.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:31 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
- buy a new NSX - $200k
- take it to a shop the next day to to disconnect the FWD drive train and remove battery - $30k
- Having a car that how it was supposed to be built from the factory - priceless

Haters gotta hate.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:35 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Delayed again????? Really?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:37 PM
I feel the need...

Not delayed, just ripening like a fine whine.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:43 PM
I feel the need...

Breaking news, Porsche is building a 918 GTR whilst removing the batteries and charging Cayan pricing...

Breaking news, Ferrari is building a LaFerrari whilst removing the batteries and will charge Fiat pricing...

Get your orders in now troutslaps...
Old 03-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

this is what I do every time I go to the grocery story with my wife, I walk over to the magazines and look at a bunch of toys (cars) that I'll probably never own.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

- buy a new NSX - $200k
and we're left with a rear wheel drive twin turbo v6 for $240k?

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News