Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
It's probably because it's a tangible metric. When we see those numbers, we can grasp or have a concept of what they mean.

As for mocking the car because it's a few ticks off its competition ... I'll admit I'm guilty of the same. But, I mostly do it in contention of the opposite camp who were claiming the Type-S was going to come take the crown and act like Honda performance can't be beat ... and when they do (often), they start making excuses about how it'll be more reliable or other asinine excuses. Hailing Honda for making a revolutionary 3.0T V6, meanwhile the Germans were doing it for a number of years and all were able to get more power out of them ... but no, Honda was going to light the world on fire with this thing. It's a fool's errand though, as it's been proven nothing will sway their deep-rooted faith for Honda, their Lord and Savior.

If a car performs well and has an engine and drivetrain that are stout, I'm game. I'll never understand how or why people will defend to their graves a single brand who care nothing for them but their money. Honda, Toyota, GM, BMW, Audi, Mopar ... f*ck it. Build a great car, I couldn't care less the badge on it, I'll be interested. I mock these clowns who shit on other brands and throw undue praise at mediocrity simply because they have some inexplicable love for a corporation and are blinded by their own affinity.
FWIW I think most of the sunshine pumpers / fanboys have come and gone. I think the only two prolific ones that remain are the sales guy in Texas and AcuraProTony.

The guy that was insistent that the TLX would do 0-60 in 5.2s hasn't been active since last year. The guy who claimed the Type S really has 400tq and 386hp and then doubled down on it hasn't said squat once the reviews came out. The guy who kept telling us to be patient and wait for the reviews and that the TLX would be as fast or faster than the Accord in spite of the laws of physics hasn't been seen for a while too. At one point I remember some folks staunchly defending Acura's marketing department and claimed that the TLX is indeed rear-biased bEcAuSe AcUrA mArKeTiNg NeVeR LiEs; I don't hear those claims anymore. Can't remember who anymore, but someone also called me out and claimed my dyno charts were bunk when I showed that the RDX and TLX have a torque dip due to power being pulled at low gears; nobody's saying shit anymore about that now that SG and others have also mentioned the same.
The following 7 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (06-15-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (06-15-2021), bilirubin (06-15-2021), BOWA41 (06-15-2021), leomio2.0 (06-15-2021), teh CL (06-15-2021), TLXinTX (06-19-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-15-2021, 05:39 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
FWIW I think most of the sunshine pumpers / fanboys have come and gone. I think the only two prolific ones that remain are the sales guy in Texas and AcuraProTony.

The guy that was insistent that the TLX would do 0-60 in 5.2s hasn't been active since last year. The guy who claimed the Type S really has 400tq and 386hp and then doubled down on it hasn't said squat once the reviews came out. The guy who kept telling us to be patient and wait for the reviews and that the TLX would be as fast or faster than the Accord in spite of the laws of physics hasn't been seen for a while too. At one point I remember some folks staunchly defending Acura's marketing department and claimed that the TLX is indeed rear-biased bEcAuSe AcUrA mArKeTiNg NeVeR LiEs; I don't hear those claims anymore. Can't remember who anymore, but someone also called me out and claimed my dyno charts were bunk when I showed that the RDX and TLX have a torque dip due to power being pulled at low gears; nobody's saying shit anymore about that now that SG and others have also mentioned the same.
A bunch of Acura fanboys hero's in white capes that preach about the company they "Think" they know about, but have zero intentions on buying this vehicle.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:46 AM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Second of all no other manufacturers do this. Q50 is faster than a Maxima, A4 is faster than a jetta. Why would the accord be faster than their higher tier brand compatible car? That makes zero sense and is yes embarrassing.
The Jetta GLI and Golf GTI are faster than the 2.0T A4. The Camery TRD with the V6 is faster than the IS models. Nissan does make a 300hp Maxima. Not sure if it's faster than a Q50 but it probably is.
The following 3 users liked this post by mec30:
BOWA41 (06-15-2021), Legend2TL (06-15-2021), neuronbob (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 06:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I watched the SG review a few days ago. Seems they really liked it, outside of manual shifting, which has never been a strong suit of Hondacura cars. They are best left in automatic mode, IMO. The Accord-TLX drag race a few posts above just makes the non-S seem disappointing if you are looking for performance. Having owned a recent Accord (manual), I will tell you that the Accord is a sleeper and massive bang for buck. Not that it matters, but the RLX Sport Hybrid beats all, and used is an amazing deal.

In any case, it's best to set expectations for the TLX as a nice luxury cruiser, and the Type S as an entertaining luxury cruiser with handling chops. If you like it, go for it! In my case, I am glad I didn't wait, and instead purchased a RLX. I'm already looking forward to the TLX MMC to see what Acura does. More power? digital screen? more responsive transmission? We'll see.
I suspect that a MMC will only bring about some tweaks with the tranny programming as well as a couple of trim tweaks. That said, I’ve learned to not expect much from Honda/Acura refreshes. (I was hoping Honda would change the unibrow of the Accord X for its refresh.)
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
csmeance (06-15-2021), Legend2TL (06-16-2021), neuronbob (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 06:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mec30
The Jetta GLI and Golf GTI are faster than the 2.0T A4. The Camery TRD with the V6 is faster than the IS models. Nissan does make a 300hp Maxima. Not sure if it's faster than a Q50 but it probably is.
I can confirm that the Q50 is a bit quicker than the Maxima. But my hunch is that it’s largely due to the Maxima’s CVT hampering it’s performance.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I suspect that a MMC will only bring about some tweaks with the tranny programming as well as a couple of trim tweaks. That said, I’ve learned to not expect much from Honda/Acura refreshes. (I was hoping Honda would change the unibrow of the Accord X for its refresh.)
I agree. A “PMC” Type S with all the options would have been nice at the start, might have led me to consider a change. I suspect it will be the penultimate MMC TLX, just as with the 1G TLX.

PS congrats on your 2021 TLX, just noticed your signature. I take a break for vacation and stuff happens LOL.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I agree. A “PMC” Type S with all the options would have been nice at the start, might have led me to consider a change. I suspect it will be the penultimate MMC TLX, just as with the 1G TLX.

PS congrats on your 2021 TLX, just noticed your signature. I take a break for vacation and stuff happens LOL.
Thank you...and congratulations to you. I just realized that you got the RLX SH. That was tops on my list had I gone the CPO route; for better or worse, that's such an 'under the radar' sports sedan.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:58 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
You'll get no argument from me that the marketing is BS as we literally just discussed a few posts up but I do disagree with you that the TLX being half a second slower to 60 than the Accord is embarrassing because it literally doesn't matter. The TLX has merits to justify it's existence besides it's straight line performance and if you approach it with the marketing out of mind and realize 90% of buyers of the Honda Accord or TLX in it's non S variant will ever really floor it (for fun) much less drag race at stop lights you can come to terms with the cars for what they are is all I'm saying. I mean in a bubble if I had to choose between the TLX and Accord both with the 2.0T I'd choose the TLX every time for the AWD.. half a second to 60 slower be damned. There is more to a car then it's straight line performance, if that's all cars were about we should all be on Tesla forums debating if that plaid edition can really get to 60 in under 2 seconds.
Here's what you don't realize and are turning blind eye to: Accord is a mainstream sedan, marketed and available to average Joe with average Joe salary. It's quite easy to afford 2.0T Sport that sells for around $28-29K, in many cases even less. I had no problem getting my hard-to-find 6MT for under that. Second, as someone else pointed out, no other company has their appliance sedan beat out their luxury sedan. Third, they're not meant to compete because TLX is "supposed" to be 2 classes above. It's not. The car is terrible in so many ways. Huge on the outside, tiny on the inside. My teenage son bumped his head on the ceiling getting into passenger seat. His knees are hitting the glove box and my 7 year old daughter behind him could barely fit her legs. That car is an interior travesty. I've been in Civic Si Sedan and that car is easier for 3 people to get comfortable. Here is another piece where TLX is a completely clown car. You need to go up to Advance trim that is $50K in order to get HUD, adaptive dampers and folding mirrors. This is available on Accord Touring that costs LESS than a BASE TLX. Read that again. It's mind boggling. I can't imagine why anyone in the world would go buy base TLX, or Tech, or Aspec, or Advance in FWD for $15K more and have LESS than a mid $30K(s) Accord Touring 2.0T. There is no reason for TLX FWD to exist, period. They jacked it up by $5K starting MSRP over last gen TLX and for what? Nothing. Lastly, the marketing on the TLX is an insult to people's intelligence. What is TLX? Sport Sedan? Family Sedan? It's NEITHER.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
The Jetta GLI and Golf GTI are faster than the 2.0T A4.
A4 does 0-60 in 4.8s, GTI does it in 5.1. This is from C&D, so if anything it's similar but not slower. Accord vs TLX is off by a good second, much larger difference.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
Here's what you don't realize and are turning blind eye to: Accord is a mainstream sedan, marketed and available to average Joe with average Joe salary. It's quite easy to afford 2.0T Sport that sells for around $28-29K, in many cases even less. I had no problem getting my hard-to-find 6MT for under that. Second, as someone else pointed out, no other company has their appliance sedan beat out their luxury sedan. Third, they're not meant to compete because TLX is "supposed" to be 2 classes above. It's not. The car is terrible in so many ways. Huge on the outside, tiny on the inside. My teenage son bumped his head on the ceiling getting into passenger seat. His knees are hitting the glove box and my 7 year old daughter behind him could barely fit her legs. That car is an interior travesty. I've been in Civic Si Sedan and that car is easier for 3 people to get comfortable. Here is another piece where TLX is a completely clown car. You need to go up to Advance trim that is $50K in order to get HUD, adaptive dampers and folding mirrors. This is available on Accord Touring that costs LESS than a BASE TLX. Read that again. It's mind boggling. I can't imagine why anyone in the world would go buy base TLX, or Tech, or Aspec, or Advance in FWD for $15K more and have LESS than a mid $30K(s) Accord Touring 2.0T. There is no reason for TLX FWD to exist, period. They jacked it up by $5K starting MSRP over last gen TLX and for what? Nothing. Lastly, the marketing on the TLX is an insult to people's intelligence. What is TLX? Sport Sedan? Family Sedan? It's NEITHER.
I'd argue similar things you would, the Accord is an awful lot of bang for the buck and the superior family hauler if that's your need and if you're going to consider the TLX instead AWD is practically a must and the marketing is obviously complete BS like most marketing. It's hard to take you seriously with all the hyperbole though.

The following users liked this post:
a35tl (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
A4 does 0-60 in 4.8s, GTI does it in 5.1. This is from C&D, so if anything it's similar but not slower. Accord vs TLX is off by a good second, much larger difference.
The 40 TFSI is significantly slower than the 45 TFSI.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
The 40 TFSI is significantly slower than the 45 TFSI.
Which is not available in Canada, and only sold in small quantities due to very limited configuration options. The Accord 1.5T is also slower than the 2.0T and can compete with TLX, but no one mentions it.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 06-15-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:51 AM
®

I'd argue similar things you would, the Accord is an awful lot of bang for the buck and the superior family hauler if that's your need and if you're going to consider the TLX instead AWD is practically a must and the marketing is obviously complete BS like most marketing. It's hard to take you seriously with all the hyperbole though.
Forget my hyperbole and answer my question. What is TLX, a sport sedan or family sedan? I'm seriously asking. Acura calls it a "premium sport sedan that pushes the limits of performance". If that's not a hyperbole, I don't know what is.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Which is not available in Canada, and only sold in small quantities due to very limited configuration options. The Accord 1.5T is also slower than the 2.0T and can compete with TLX, but no one mentions it.
The Accord Sport is also in very limited supply. The 1.5T doesn't really work. Thats up around 15.7 seconds 1/4 mile. 7+ seconds 0-60. More than a second behind the TLX on both metrics.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:16 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Forget my hyperbole and answer my question. What is TLX, a sport sedan or family sedan? I'm seriously asking. Acura calls it a "premium sport sedan that pushes the limits of performance". If that's not a hyperbole, I don't know what is.
I don't recall anyone ever calling the TLX a "family sedan." I've actually gone out of my way to convince young couples thinking about a family or who have very young children to avoid the car due to how much space is taken up by infant and convertible car seats, etc. Get an SUV instead!
loki (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I don't recall anyone ever calling the TLX a "family sedan." I've actually gone out of my way to convince young couples thinking about a family or who have very young children to avoid the car due to how much space is taken up by infant and convertible car seats, etc. Get an SUV instead!
Think thats the point. Exactly where does the base TLX fit into the automotive world? If its not a family sedan & not a performance sedan what is it? I have always though of it as an over promoted (race track & desert adds) "family sedan" but not have had a requirement for a sedan for over 10 years & may be out of touch.

Type S is still an unknown. Have my suspicions as to how it will turn out but the tools are available on the car to prove me wrong.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think thats the point. Exactly where does the base TLX fit into the automotive world? If its not a family sedan & not a performance sedan what is it? I have always though of it as an over promoted (race track & desert adds) "family sedan" but not have had a requirement for a sedan for over 10 years & may be out of touch.

Type S is still an unknown. Have my suspicions as to how it will turn out but the tools are available on the car to prove me wrong.
Sedans in general barely fit into the automotive world today and building one that isn't a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord is inherently a risk as 9 out of 10 sedan buyers are going to get those. I think it's AWD variant is the best positioned as there is a big market for that especially in places that get any amount of snow as even a few inches can hang up a FWD car if you're unlucky, the TLX's existence is 100% why we don't have a AWD Accord option. Type S no matter how good or bad it is will undeniably be the more fun version of that. It's in a weird spot but the sedan market in general is a weird spot to be in. I don't know why the FWD version of the TLX exists, they should all be AWD from the very cheapest base model. The FWD Base or Tech/Aspec is an absolute rip off IMO. At least the advance you probably feel like you got every luxury feature available short of gimmicky massaging seats.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
BEAR-AvHistory (06-15-2021), loki (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Instructor

The Type S is a sports sedan, the TLX AWD is a family-ish luxury-ish sedan with compromised backseat space but AWD for those that need it or just want it. The base TLX with FWD is a rip off that shouldn't exist. That's how I view it.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:13 PM
®

The Accord Sport is also in very limited supply. The 1.5T doesn't really work. Thats up around 15.7 seconds 1/4 mile. 7+ seconds 0-60. More than a second behind the TLX on both metrics.
OK, are we really going to compare TLX to Accord 1.5 CVT?
Old 06-15-2021, 12:16 PM
®

The Type S is a sports sedan, the TLX AWD is a family-ish luxury-ish sedan with compromised backseat space but AWD for those that need it or just want it. The base TLX with FWD is a rip off that shouldn't exist. That's how I view it.
That's a lot of "ish-es" for the price. And yes, FWD TLX has no reason to exist, not after $5K mark up over last MSRP.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
It's funny but the FWD TLX still sells. I've known 2G FWD TLX owners posting on AZ for about 6 months now!

Don't discount the impact of how poorly the Accord looks vs how nice the TLX looks!
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
a35tl (06-15-2021), F23A4 (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 12:52 PM
Advanced

The TLX is definitely a sports sedan. The suspension tuning is geared for it (double wishbone, wide track, no structural compromises with a moonroof, designed for additional bracing, aluminum hood, low CG, etc.) but the non-type S was compromised with economy tires and IMHO not enough power. I actually think the weight is on par for a vehicle of this size (length, width, stiffness), around 3700 to 3800 lbs without AWD.

It's possible to be a sporty car without a ton of power. The Toyota 86 pulls it off well. But it's tough to do with FWD geometry at this size. A Civic SI is going to be a lot more engaging that any FWD TLX despite the good geometry.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
The Golf is not comparable to the A4 it’s almost 1000 pounds lighter and a different type of car. The Jetta is the VW version of the A4 and it’s slower than the A4. Camry TRD is slower than the IS350. Maxima is slower than the base Q50 and has the horrible CVT.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:27 PM
Instructor

That's a lot of "ish-es" for the price. And yes, FWD TLX has no reason to exist, not after $5K mark up over last MSRP.
Haha well I was thinking of the different trims and the range for the luxury-ish comment, the base TLX even with AWD is pretty meh in the luxuries department, the Advance trim though I'd drop the 'ish'. Family-ish stays though, it's clear that this thing isn't built for families the way the Accord or CR-V or something in those classes are. This seems squarly aimed at a families second car to compliment a CUV/SUV of some sort or single people or couples without kids.
loki (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

I was largely not regarding SRB's banter re: FWD TLXs but then my general curiosity was piqued. So, I inquired with my dealership here in central New Jersey as to how many of the 21 TLXs they've sold thus far were FWD. He indicated 65-70% of those sold were FWD!!

(Seriously, even I had it pegged 35-40%.)

Not sure if that's generally representative of the model as a whole but if so, maybe there should be a FWD TLX-S.

Last edited by F23A4; 06-15-2021 at 02:44 PM.
loki (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I was largely not regarding SRB's banter re: FWD TLXs but then my general curiosity was piqued. So, I inquired with my dealership here in central New Jersey as to how many of the 21 TLXs they've sold thus far were FWD. He indicated 65-70% of those sold were FWD!!

Seriously, even I had it pegged 35-40%.
Not surprised at all. Ask a BMW dealer the rate of 330 to M340 & you will get about the same number. The bread & butter cars pay for the toys both in revenue & EPA fleet compliance.

Reality is there would be no fun cars without the various base units padding the numbers.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-15-2021 at 02:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
ELIN (06-15-2021), F23A4 (06-15-2021), someguy11 (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Dealer called me today, got an appointment Monday to look at the type-S demo they are getting this week
The following 4 users liked this post by Sclyzed:
a35tl (06-15-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (06-15-2021), BOWA41 (06-15-2021), Camaro194 (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sclyzed
Dealer called me today, got an appointment Monday to look at the type-S demo they are getting this week
Nice! My dealer wont have a demo on hand until the last week of the month but will let me know as soon as it arrives.
BOWA41 (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Not sure if that's generally representative of the model as a whole but if so, maybe there should be a FWD TLX-S.
That's insane, I guess the FWD version does have a reason to exist, to rob people blind.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:30 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,142 Likes on 817 Posts
That's insane, I guess the FWD version does have a reason to exist, to rob people blind.
It is called entry level model trim, so buyers having less dough are able to afford an Acura, which may or may not be a wise decision for the potential Acura shoppers.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
It is called entry level model trim, so buyers having less dough are able to afford an Acura, which may or may not be a wise decision for the potential Acura shoppers.
Probably. The only other entry level alternative to the brand is the ILX.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Call it whatever you want the base trim especially in FWD form is a rip off. I won't judge individuals for buying what pulls on their heart strings, heck I may end up with a Type S in my driveway after I drive it if I fall in love with it (that Tiger Eye on that car is gorgeous), I get it, but if you only have 37.5-38k to spend the Accord is a much better purchase overall on paper with no feelings involved.
loki (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 224 Posts

Generally the best selling tlx configuration will be the cheaper configured models. Many buyers just want an Acura and don't want to spend extra on packages or options. When I picked up my 18 TLX there were 3 other people getting theirs delivered as well. All base 4 cyl variants. One of the other buyers when I told him I bought the V6 sh-awd he asked me how it compared to the 4 cyl since he didn't test drive the v6. I told him I didn't know cause I didn't bother to test drive the 4 cyl.
loki (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 06:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Generally the best selling tlx configuration will be the cheaper configured models. Many buyers just want an Acura and don't want to spend extra on packages or options. When I picked up my 18 TLX there were 3 other people getting theirs delivered as well. All base 4 cyl variants. One of the other buyers when I told him I bought the V6 sh-awd he asked me how it compared to the 4 cyl since he didn't test drive the v6. I told him I didn't know cause I didn't bother to test drive the 4 cyl.
That make sense given that Acura is generally seen as a stepping-stone kind of brand. It's neither an aspirational brand nor terminal brand, aside for a small number of hardcore fans.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:15 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
I test drove both the 4 cyl PAWS and V6 SH-AWD 1G TLX (pre-MMC), and found the 4 cyl a little bit more nimble and liked the 8 speed better than the ZF
loki (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Not sure what you call it, but I drove the Type-S yesterday and love it.
The following 3 users liked this post by KidK:
a35tl (06-15-2021), BOWA41 (06-15-2021), mec30 (06-17-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 07:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by KidK
Not sure what you call it, but I drove the Type-S yesterday and love it.
Does it rev match on downshifts in Auto mode? Did you get to use the paddles much during your test drive? Tell us more.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:50 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Call it whatever you want the base trim especially in FWD form is a rip off. I won't judge individuals for buying what pulls on their heart strings, heck I may end up with a Type S in my driveway after I drive it if I fall in love with it (that Tiger Eye on that car is gorgeous), I get it, but if you only have 37.5-38k to spend the Accord is a much better purchase overall on paper with no feelings involved.
Don't know what you drive, but I had a 2018 Accord EL-X 2.0 and now a 2021 TLX Tech FWD. The TLX is so much better than the Accord in all areas of the car, how it handles, drives, equipment and power (yes, it does move when needed). I really don't care about 0 -60 anymore and the TLX is build to a higher standard than the Accord.

I didn't need the SH-AWD so why spend money on something I don't need. And I could afford it if I wanted to go with the AWD. And it's not a rip off as you stated either.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

really? Wow. And in a snowy part of the country? Lots of base/bargain buyers out there. I can understand that proportion in a warm state, but wow.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
F23A4 (06-16-2021), loki (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by frainc
Don't know what you drive, but I had a 2018 Accord EL-X 2.0 and now a 2021 TLX Tech FWD. The TLX is so much better than the Accord in all areas of the car, how it handles, drives, equipment and power (yes, it does move when needed). I really don't care about 0 -60 anymore and the TLX is build to a higher standard than the Accord.

I didn't need the SH-AWD so why spend money on something I don't need. And I could afford it if I wanted to go with the AWD. And it's not a rip off as you stated either.
Currently in a 2013 Accord Coupe with the V6. It's a fun little car that I'll be sad to sell but it's feeling long in the tooth. The problem I take with the FWD TLX is that at $42,000 for the FWD Tech you're getting yes a better platform, some nicer materials throughout but $31,000 EX-L Accord is better equipped when it comes to comfort/tech features which I can forgive a bit with AWD (I live in an area with measurable yearly snow) but I can't forgive it in the FWD. At that point you're playing for a better platform sure, some nicer materials, a nicer stereo (but not their 17 speaker one everybody raves about) aaaaand that's it. To me that's not enough to justify it's price of $10,000 more when you could spend another $7000 to get all the bells and whistles that the Accord has and then some + AWD. So yes I think the lower trims are a base model. I don't want to rag on your purchase, cars are emotional, personal and subjective choices and I respect that but that's just how I feel. It's your money spend it however you'd like! I hope you're enjoying the car generally speaking, I really do like the new TLX overall.
loki (06-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion