2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 07:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
You may disagree based on intuition but that’s not true. Just because you reach 60mph earlier doesn’t mean your trap speed will be that much higher. You may hit 60mph earlier by launching the car, but the amount of distance remaining on the track isn’t substantially longer. The distance of the track remaining at that point dictates how fast your trap speed will be. Spend enough time at the drag strip and you’ll realize that trap speeds are fairly consistent even with bad launches. It’s mis-shifts in the higher gears that kill trap speeds.
Correct. I drag raced several Corvettes. I bought a new 2008 which was built the first day of production with an LS3 engine. It was a six speed manual car. I had quite a bit of experience drag racing manual C5 and C6s. The car was hard to launch due to very abrupt clutch engagement. My fastest trap speed was on my worst 60’ and Et.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I see the the name of this thread, so I think it's OK to post. Plus, you brought it up.

I don't know BMW's that well, but I thought the 3-series was BMW's smaller one.

I pretty sure the matching Audi (size-wise) in the A6-sedan . For the V6-TLX, you use the S6.

Personally, I don't like cars that are any bigger than they need to be because (for one thing) that just makes them harder to park (including, in the garage).

Thanks for the comment and comparing cars beyond 0-60 is helpful. I am sure potential buyers want to know more than which car goes faster.

i know BMW 3 Series well. Two of my cousins own 3 series. I have been inside of the the 3 series 100s of times and also driven it. 3 Series feels small and tight compared to TLX. The TLX has a much wider dash and it's pushed back. I think that makes TLX more appealing for people that like airy cabin.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
bilirubin (09-15-2022), harpazo (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 12:03 PM
Pro

Received 508 Likes on 248 Posts
Looks like the Lexus IS has been updated for 2023. Orange available on the IS500, and the wheels are now black. The IS350 gets LSD on the RWD model. The IS350 also gets a new appearance package featuring the same grey paint as the IS500 Launch Edition but also a black roof and hood...

The following 2 users liked this post by bilirubin:
leomio2.0 (09-16-2022), silverTL6 (09-16-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 12:48 PM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
I see the the name of this thread, so I think it's OK to post. Plus, you brought it up.

I pretty sure the matching Audi (size-wise) in the A6-sedan . For the V6-TLX, you use the S6.

Personally, I don't like cars that are any bigger than they need to be because (for one thing) that just makes them harder to park (including, in the garage).
I feel the main problem is that when there’s a discussion of competition, people automatically switch to the “winner and loser” mindset. Each vehicle obviously tailors to different priorities.

The TLX does have larger exterior dimensions compared to other smaller sedans, but it’s still sedan-sized. It reminds me of when we used to have a classic mini and a BMW mini in the household. The BMW mini was significantly larger outside but much smaller interior size (rear and front legroom) compared to the smaller classic mini. Was definitely the most fun car I’ve ever driven despite have 50hp lol.

But from the F30 (best looking generation IMO) to TLX, there is a size presence different, but not huge. In fact, of the 3 cars we have/had, the CTR was roomiest inside with the smallest exterior dimensions.

Last edited by richii0207; 09-15-2022 at 12:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richii0207:
MarcoTLX (09-15-2022), Tony Pac (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 01:30 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 374 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
Looks like the Lexus IS has been updated for 2023. Orange available on the IS500, and the wheels are now black. The IS350 gets LSD on the RWD model. The IS350 also gets a new appearance package featuring the same grey paint as the IS500 Launch Edition but also a black roof and hood...

so the orange paint is actually Molten Pearl which is only available by adding the “Special Appearance” package that’s only available on the 2023 IS500 F Sport Premium.

The cherry on top is that only 150 of the IS 500 F Sport Premium models will be adorned with the Special Appearance package.

In my eyes this is Lexus’s “PMC Edition” if you will, and with only 150 cars having this color I’m sure the markup on these will be ridiculous beyond belief
Old 09-15-2022, 02:06 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts

The new TLX is BMW 5 series in exterior size and 3 series on the inside. In everything except exterior size the TLX is most comparable to the 3 series.
The following 3 users liked this post by mike03a3:
ESHBG (09-16-2022), silverTL6 (09-16-2022), Tony Pac (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 03:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by richii0207
I feel the main problem is that when there’s a discussion of competition, people automatically switch to the “winner and loser” mindset. Each vehicle obviously tailors to different priorities.

The TLX does have larger exterior dimensions compared to other smaller sedans, but it’s still sedan-sized. It reminds me of when we used to have a classic mini and a BMW mini in the household. The BMW mini was significantly larger outside but much smaller interior size (rear and front legroom) compared to the smaller classic mini. Was definitely the most fun car I’ve ever driven despite have 50hp lol.

But from the F30 (best looking generation IMO) to TLX, there is a size presence different, but not huge. In fact, of the 3 cars we have/had, the CTR was roomiest inside with the smallest exterior dimensions.

You nailed it! This is the biggest issue here: “winner and loser” Not comparing TLX to BMW or Sonata.

Park 3 series, IS, G70, A4, C Class and TLX next to each other and sit in each one of them and you will see the difference. You feel great in TLX due to airy cabin and wide dashboard. All the other cars are great if you don't mind smaller cars. I had a civic back in early 2000, since then I always had bigger sedans, and as a result, I don't feel great in these smaller sedans like A4 or 3 Series.

The following users liked this post:
DreamTSX (09-20-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 03:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mike03a3
The new TLX is BMW 5 series in exterior size and 3 series on the inside. In everything except exterior size the TLX is most comparable to the 3 series.
That's very correct and accurate. Actually, when I see a TLX from far, it looks a lot like Audi A7, especially in black.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:43 PM
AZ Community Team

A very good overview of TLX/TLX TYPE S and it's competitors. Great video for potential buyers. Enjoy!
bilirubin (09-15-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts

That orange looks great. Too "showy" for my tastes, but still a pretty cool color. The blacked out hood & roof look terrible. It probably would have looked OK with just the roof, but the hood makes it look like they forgot to paint the whole car during assembly.
silverTL6 (10-04-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 06:18 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
That orange looks great. Too "showy" for my tastes, but still a pretty cool color. The blacked out hood & roof look terrible. It probably would have looked OK with just the roof, but the hood makes it look like they forgot to paint the whole car during assembly.
so that means your probably wasn’t too fond of the 2020-2021 RDX PMC Edition lol that was a very bright “Thermal Orange”
Tony Pac (09-17-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
so that means your probably wasn’t too fond of the 2020-2021 RDX PMC Edition lol that was a very bright “Thermal Orange”
I liked it, but again, too flashy for my tastes to actually own. I wish they would have gone with a Nardo Grey-esque color for the PMC TLX-S with black wheels rather than the trio of colors with bronze wheels. Maybe next year's PMC edition ...
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
MarcoTLX (09-16-2022), silverTL6 (10-04-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 06:26 AM
Pro

Not a direct competitor, but some may cross-shop the TLX Type S with the upcoming Integra Type S...
I actually like the black roof (although I'm biased since my roof has a black PPF), but yeah the black hood is indeed terrible. Rice AF.
I liked it, but again, too flashy for my tastes to actually own. I wish they would have gone with a Nardo Grey-esque color for the PMC TLX-S with black wheels rather than the trio of colors with bronze wheels. Maybe next year's PMC edition ...
I wish they'll go a little more "NSX" with the next TLX Type S PMC: matte Gotham Grey Paint, carbon fiber roof, gloss black NSX-style wheels (different than the current wheel design), gloss black emblems, and all the Advance features.
The following 4 users liked this post by bilirubin:
a35tl (09-17-2022), leomio2.0 (09-17-2022), MarcoTLX (09-17-2022), silverTL6 (10-04-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 07:49 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

I wish they'll go a little more "NSX" with the next TLX Type S PMC: matte Gotham Grey Paint, carbon fiber roof, gloss black NSX-style wheels (different than the current wheel design), gloss black emblems, and all the Advance features.
This is the same sentiments I hold with the TLX Type-S PMC... Acura should've did that or at the very least did the usual limited 250 or 350 unit run of the PMC Type-S with only 50 units exclusively having the Matte Gotham Gray paintjob with Red Interior w/ the gloss black wheels, all units being truly fully loaded including the advance package.
Acura really missed/dropped the ball by not doing that. Acura be missing opportunities though I can partly understand not having the advance package included with the PMC Type-S due to chip and other supply shortage issues.... but would that really be an issue you'd run into considering the PMC will have only 350 fully loaded units being built?

Last edited by MarcoTLX; 09-17-2022 at 07:54 AM.
silverTL6 (10-04-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Not a direct competitor, but some may cross-shop the TLX Type S with the upcoming Integra Type S...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6p3FZwlJ4k

I actually like the black roof (although I'm biased since my roof has a black PPF), but yeah the black hood is indeed terrible. Rice AF.

Can't say I'm a fan of the triple exhaust. To each their own.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
If the triple exhausts means it’ll come with the CTR’s K20C, then that’s fine by me
silverTL6 (10-04-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 11:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
Just like everything else on a CTR (wing, fender flares/vents, etc), it serves a purpose. The center outlet acts as a resonator which does a great job in keeping the high-flow factory exhaust from droning or sounding loud without the use of a valved exhaust system seen on the TLX Type S.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/techno...ree-tailpipes/

Last edited by richii0207; 09-17-2022 at 11:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richii0207:
silverTL6 (10-04-2022), Tony Pac (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 03:26 PM
AZ Community Team

This new Integra Type S looks awesome. 3 exhausts 🚀

Only issue is the shortage of Acura vehicles. As I have said this a few times, Acura got one of the best lineup right now, but sales aren’t reflecting. Can’t wait for this whole supply chain issue to be resolved so Acura can enjoy some sales success.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Just like everything else on a CTR (wing, fender flares/vents, etc), it serves a purpose. The center outlet acts as a resonator which does a great job in keeping the high-flow factory exhaust from droning or sounding loud without the use of a valved exhaust system seen on the TLX Type S.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/techno...ree-tailpipes/
If the tri-exhaust set-up is mainly to eliminate drone, I think it's a pretty good indicator that the exhaust does not automatically point to the car getting the CTR K20. With the routing and design of the exhaust needing to be about the same (or exactly the same) between the models, the K20C1 & K20C4 likely sound and behave very similarly at low RPM and while off boost. So regardless of what engine they were using, it would seem this exhaust would be the cheapest and easiest way to design this car (no development needed to test for drone, which is a must for a premium vehicle). Silver lining ... it would seem this almost guarantees the ITS will be getting some variant of the K20 rather than Acura truly shitting the bed and simply doing a tweaked 1.5T.

Obviously, I could be wrong, but I'm skeptical that Honda will allow Acura to use that engine. It would be a pleasant surprise though ... though it might hurt the case for the TLX-S. With its hatch design, the CTR has surprisingly large cargo space. Though, room for people is obviously more cramped.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:33 AM
Pro

Obviously, I could be wrong, but I'm skeptical that Honda will allow Acura to use that engine. It would be a pleasant surprise though ... though it might hurt the case for the TLX-S. With its hatch design, the CTR has surprisingly large cargo space. Though, room for people is obviously more cramped.
It shouldn’t affect the appeal of the TLX Type S considering the TLX is much more comfortable than a Civic with the only downside being lesser rear legroom. In fact, quite a few CTR owners moved to the TLX Type S as a daily driver.

I am not saying that the CTR is uncomfortable, it’s as comfortable as a regular civic in comfort mode and freakishly nimble in R+ mode. If I had a choice between driving 20k+ miles a year of city/highway traffic driving in a TLX Type S or a CTR, I’d choose the TLX every time. Weekends and track events for the CTR though obviously.

I guess the ITS will be in between the two.

Last edited by richii0207; 09-18-2022 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

It shouldn’t affect the appeal of the TLX Type S considering the TLX is much more comfortable than a Civic with the only downside being lesser rear legroom. In fact, quite a few CTR owners moved to the TLX Type S as a daily driver.

I am not saying that the CTR is uncomfortable, it’s as comfortable as a regular civic in comfort mode and freakishly nimble in R+ mode. If I had a choice between driving 20k+ miles a year of city/highway traffic driving in a TLX Type S or a CTR, I’d choose the TLX every time. Weekends and track events for the CTR though obviously.

I guess the ITS will be in between the two.
Yes, but the main comparison was the ITS and the TLX-S. I forgot the standard configuration for the Integra is a hatch ... should have used it as the comparo for cargo space to avoid the confusion.

If the ITS comes with adaptive dampers, it could very well ride almost as nicely as the TLX-S. Though, this may be yet another thing not available in the ITS that would make the TLX-S more appealing to the older crowd who prioritize comfort over performance. If the ITS doesn't come with adaptive dampers and is tuned between a CTR and Si, it will definitely turn some people away due to ride harshness.

That and I'm sure the TLX has better road isolation as I've heard the Integra basically added none and it's just as loud inside as a Civic.

Last edited by leomio2.0; 09-18-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:30 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Volvo??

As I stopped at a light on the way to visit my wife in the hospital I noticed the car in front of me was a new Volvo, a once quite popular car in my part of suburbia.

I don't recall them coming up here, so I was wondering if anyone ever considered a new Volvo? I know they never crossed my mind.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

As I stopped at a light on the way to visit my wife in the hospital I noticed the car in front of me was a new Volvo, a once quite popular car in my part of suburbia.

I don't recall them coming up here, so I was wondering if anyone ever considered a new Volvo? I know they never crossed my mind.
I bought a Volvo V60 after the TLX. They’re kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum from Acura; Volvo leans much more heavily towards luxury and practicality rather than sportiness, and they’re much further along with electrification though Acura gas motors are much better.

That said I’m sure the XC60 and XC90 get cross shopped with the RDX and MDX, and at least here in San Francisco and Marin it seems that the Volvos are outselling the Acuras by a hefty margin, no doubt thanks to the option for a PHEV that Acura is sorely lacking. I’d say about a third of the XCs I see are the T8 PHEV variants.

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-29-2022 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

Me either. But there is a popular car-review YouTuber that does Hondas and Acuras and he included Volvo(s) comparisons in his G2 TLX review when they first came out. That's sorta how I got re-introduced. One of the active posters here has a nice electric hybrid one ... Polestar I think.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts

They are nice cars but their reliability has taken a nosedive and now being owned by China probably doesn't help their image much.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ESHBG
They are nice cars but their reliability has taken a nosedive and now being owned by China probably doesn't help their image much.
I don't think being owned by Geely has hurt their image; has Range Rover's image been tarnished because they're now owend by Tata? Since being acquired, their sales have move than doubled and ATP has increased as they moved upmarket. The cash infusion from the Chinese helped bankroll their new platforms which have been hugely successful; without that cash they would be dead in the water, probably worse off than Infiniti. They're now valued at around $25B, in contrast to the $1.8B that Ford sold them for. And it's not like the cars are engineered or built by Geely; other than some of the LWB S90s, all the US-bound Volvos are still built in Sweden or Belgium or South Carolina.

Back in the early 2010s, Volvos were at the same level as Buicks, and I'd argue beneath Acura. Today, they're firmly in the luxury conversation, and sit somewhere between Acura and Audi in that regard.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think being owned by Geely has hurt their image; has Range Rover's image been tarnished because they're now owend by Tata?
It's not an apples to apples comparison because RR was always a bit of a niche brand where as Volvo was more accessible and viewed as the safe family hauler. And there is evidence that it is starting to have an impact on Swedish and US mindsets:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/w...ina-volvo.html

In my circle I know a few loyal Volvo owners who won't be purchasing another one (in fairness not solely because of China but it's now one of the reasons).
Old 09-30-2022, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ESHBG
It's not an apples to apples comparison because RR was always a bit of a niche brand where as Volvo was more accessible and viewed as the safe family hauler. And there is evidence that it is starting to have an impact on Swedish and US mindsets:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/w...ina-volvo.html

In my circle I know a few loyal Volvo owners who won't be purchasing another one (in fairness not solely because of China but it's now one of the reasons).
Sure, but that's less to do with the product, and more to do with not wanting to get tied to China politically. Generally speaking, the folks here who are like "oh muh gerd, chiner baddd" are not going to be buying any imports anyways.

The concern out of Sweden back in 2020 was for a full-blown merger (i.e. the concerns Japan had during the whole Ghosn fiasco), but that ended up being abandoned: https://www.wsj.com/articles/volvo-g...er-11614190224

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-30-2022 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sure, but that's less to do with the product, and more to do with not wanting to get tied to China politically. Generally speaking, the folks here who are like "oh muh gerd, chiner baddd" are not going to be buying any imports anyways.

The concern out of Sweden back in 2020 was for a full-blown merger (i.e. the concerns Japan had during the whole Ghosn fiasco), but that ended up being abandoned: https://www.wsj.com/articles/volvo-g...er-11614190224
It's in the psyche now and people are paying more attention to where their money goes and to what they do/do not want to support. I was not saying that being affiliated with China is the main reason but if their reliability keeps heading in the wrong direction it's certainly not going to help them.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:40 PM
Pro

Somewhat relevant, the Kia Stinger will end production in April and no plans for a second generation. One less competitor for the TLX.
Article is in Korean but can change to English...
Kia says goodbye to Stinger next April
Old 10-22-2022, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Somewhat relevant, the Kia Stinger will end production in April and no plans for a second generation. One less competitor for the TLX.
Article is in Korean but can change to English...
Kia says goodbye to Stinger next April
Isn’t this old news?

Not too many large sedan holdouts left.
MarcoTLX (10-22-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 02:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Not sure if this was posted or not, but decent content and quite informative:

Last edited by Tony Pac; 10-26-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Whoever designed and approved that giant slab of a screen for the dash should be sent to the gulag. WTF is BMW doing lately?
The following 3 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
Honda430 (10-26-2022), MarcoTLX (10-26-2022), Tony Pac (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 03:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Whoever designed and approved that giant slab of a screen for the dash should be sent to the gulag. WTF is BMW doing lately?
It's called cost-cutting. Even the C300,tbh was my all time favorite in terms of design but now the inside looks meh.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
As a reminder since that was a comparison of $60,000can vehicles…

and that is the mistake Honda made when marketing the car. Aim it at the vehicles of the competitors that are the same price that it seriously outperforms rather then pointing out that you undercut the price of the cars that it isnt able to keep up with. That was some really bad decision making by someone in Acuras marketing team. The type S is an amazing value compared to equally priced competition.
The following 3 users liked this post by sombasol:
bilirubin (10-27-2022), ESHBG (10-27-2022), mapleloaf (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 03:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I do enjoy the lads, even if I don't always agree. They do know their stuff.
ELIN (10-31-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 10:32 PM
Safety Car

Looks like r/cars noticed the Acura comparo pages: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...0i_to_the_tlx/
Old 10-30-2022, 11:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Looks like r/cars noticed the Acura comparo pages: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...0i_to_the_tlx/
Seems like the same realizations we came to a while back.

I do agree it's "nice looking" but if that's your main metric ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
ESHBG (10-31-2022), robnalex (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Drifting

This is the most true statement from that site and most likely Acura's reasoning:

"I'm guessing they don't really have many customers to lose, and could potentially gain customers by positioning themselves as cheaper alternative to the 3 series - the price is the first thing you see on the page."

Seems like the same realizations we came to a while back.

I do agree it's "nice looking" but if that's your main metric ...
I was seduced by the looks but it ended in a messy divorce.
The following 3 users liked this post by ELIN:
ESHBG (10-31-2022), MarcoTLX (10-31-2022), robnalex (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 06:57 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

read through the thread as I’m an avid Reddit user and man they were thrashing Acura with BMW. But the general consensus was a pretty car that Acura marketed in the wrong way.

It’s the truth but it’s still a dope car if you don’t shop based on spec sheets

Quick Reply: 2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition