TLX in the wild... and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:20 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
spotted this on the highway. it has what I believe are OEM skirts and a different (modulo?) bumper. looks pretty good in person!

Attachment 105836
The following 10 users liked this post by xtcnrice:
Acura_Dude (07-13-2014), crazyasiantl (07-14-2014), ggesq (07-14-2014), mr2core (07-13-2014), neuronbob (07-13-2014), randomRon82 (07-13-2014), Rocketsfan (07-12-2014), Timmy18 (07-12-2014), Tonyware (07-13-2014), Treblig (07-12-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-12-2014, 10:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,605 Likes on 966 Posts
Nice wheels!

I still believe in Honda/Acura
Old 07-12-2014, 10:32 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Silver one has the full body kit, front bumper with lip on ( 2 pieces) and the black one is an ILX with accessory wheels... kinda nice ones.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 469 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
Silver one has the full body kit, front bumper with lip on ( 2 pieces) and the black one is an ILX with accessory wheels... kinda nice ones.
I don't think those are the ILX wheels, they are the 2nd 19" wheel choice for the TLX.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:45 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
^Like I said the black one is an ILX.

So the new accessory wheels are pretty neat for all Acura line-up, a combo of machined face and dark finish... all started with NSX concept wheels design.

Last edited by MuGen7Modulo; 07-12-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 469 Likes on 199 Posts
My bad. I barely looked at the black car (since you can't see much of it) and I assumed that one TLX on the trailer meant the rest were TLX's. I was wrong. I see now the reflector in the headlight is no where near the TLX's.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:19 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

sorry yes, the black one is indeed an ILX. There was also a current gen Si on the trailer with HPD decals, and 2 new honda fits (I assume the fit are next gen but didn't get a pic cuz I don't really care for them lol)
Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I guess I'm bucking the trend. I'm not really feeling the espresso interior color. Looks a little too chocolate for me. A lighter brown would have been better to my liking and would have gone well with the RBP II.

BTW those seats were the leatherette, not leather. Maybe that also made them look a little like a chocolate bar.

If I were going to get White I'd get the parchment interior. My wife's new MINI will be in Pepper White and it looks good.

Oh and I still hate those wheels. But overall I still like it. It shouldn't be long now before I can see one in the flesh.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Just when I was getting excited about the TLX again by some good photos on the website and then I see the pics just posted in the flesh of the white one....this car looks like it's competing against the new Sonata and not against luxury competitors...

I hope that it will look much better in person.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Just when I was getting excited about the TLX again by some good photos on the website and then I see the pics just posted in the flesh of the white one....this car looks like it's competing against the new Sonata and not against luxury competitors...

I hope that it will look much better in person.
You're comparing hd pics from the website to pics taken using a smartphone...
Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
You're comparing hd pics from the website to pics taken using a smartphone...
The smartphone pictures are a correct representation of what you're going to get in real life........ "HD" marketing pics purposely make products look significantly better than they will in real life by using studio lighting, special angles... so on and so forth.

Sorry to break it to you, but we don't live in a world with studio lighting.

The photos of the white car are exactly what the car looks like in real life... and what the car will look like next to other vehicles in a parking lot... no filters, no special lighting, no special angles. That beautiful picture of the silver car we saw a few pages back, sorry guys... not a good representation of the real life vehicle.

I'm sick of people complaining about smartphone pictures as if the high definition pictures from Acura's marketing department truly represent what the car will look like in your driveway. They don't... and that wouldn't even make sense.
The following users liked this post:
rockyfeller (07-17-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
spotted this on the highway. it has what I believe are OEM skirts and a different (modulo?) bumper. looks pretty good in person!

Thanks! Maybe the glued on accessories won't look that bad after all! I think we were only seeing them on mocked up/sketch type photos... honestly, i wasn't happy at all with the white one that I saw yesterday but I'm thinking the wheels made a huge impact in my overall experience. I am still mega anxious to see the silver one in the flesh with my own eyes... with better wheels of course, and now I'm also curious about the "aero kit"
Old 07-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82
The smartphone pictures are a correct representation of what you're going to get in real life........ "HD" marketing pics purposely make products look significantly better than they will in real life by using studio lighting, special angles... so on and so forth.

The photos of the white car are exactly what the car looks like in real life... and what the car will look like next to other vehicles in a parking lot... no filters, no special lighting, no special angles. That beautiful picture of the silver car we saw a few pages back, sorry guys... not a good representation of the real life vehicle.

I'm sick of people complaining about smartphone pictures as if the high definition pictures from Acura's marketing department truly represent what the car will look like in your driveway. They don't... and that wouldn't even make sense.
I prefer the smartphone pics for the very reason you describe. Every car looks nice in its brochure. And much like the Kartrashians, the color white is doing no favors to the TLX's rear end. I don't like white cars like others do anyway though. But these pics make it look plain and frumpy, as outdated as the Camry next to it. Park an Accord next to it and tell me the TLX is the better looking of the 2.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I just saw another TLX zooming down the street (black) Dublin, Oh. The jewel eyes look great in passing! .... It did look like an ILX with led headlights, whether you all will think that's good or bad.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Thanks! Maybe the glued on accessories won't look that bad after all! I think we were only seeing them on mocked up/sketch type photos... honestly, i wasn't happy at all with the white one that I saw yesterday but I'm thinking the wheels made a huge impact in my overall experience. I am still mega anxious to see the silver one in the flesh with my own eyes... with better wheels of course, and now I'm also curious about the "aero kit"
The glued on accessories are pretty nice... I realize the front bumper probably isn't a completely different bumper after all... someone above stated it's a 2 piece. I believe he is right.

There's no pic of the rear of course... but I don't think the rear will look as good as the front/sides. It looks really "glued-on" on the back, and it looks rather weird... see acura.com. I wish I could've gotten a shot but the truck was obviously in the way. Otherwise, I think it looks really good! A drop and some new wheels, and visible tips will really make this car pop!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:41 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Not the most flattering angle of it.... the lip kit isn't doing it any favors either.... Really seems to cheapen the look.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Man, am I worried about this car. In some pics it's awesome, but in others it's "meh". I've been trying to figure out what I'd buy instead of this and can't come up with anything .... dammit, don't fail me, Acura!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Man, am I worried about this car. In some pics it's awesome, but in others it's "meh". I've been trying to figure out what I'd buy instead of this and can't come up with anything .... dammit, don't fail me, Acura!
I'm with you... I really want to get out of my TL asap, because I'm really bored with it and it's a little too big... I usually don't keep cars for long anyway and I've had it for almost 3 yrs now. The Audi A4/S4 was supposed to be redesigned for the 2015 model year, but now it's being redesigned for the 2016 model year and I can't wait that long to see what the changes will be. What I really want is an S5 but that will be on it's 7th model year so I've been back and forth with that decision, and I don't care for the interior that much. The Lexus RC will be released in a few months, but I saw it at the Detroit auto show and I'm not completely in love with it but I'll be test driving it. I also kinda want a 4 series so I'm going to test drive that next month. What I hope that I don't do is just go out and get a silver TLX for the sake of having a new car with new tech... and then have buyers remorse in a few months.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts

I guess I should have made my statement clear. He set himself with disappointment since he got all excited with the hd pics then compares them to smartphone pics. I was just commenting on his stance on being excited to being disappointed. Not how hd pics or smartphone pics represent the car in real life.
randomRon82 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mondster
I guess I should have made my statement clear. He set himself with disappointment since he got all excited with the hd pics then compares them to smartphone pics. I was just commenting on his stance on being excited to being disappointed. Not how hd pics or smartphone pics represent the car in real life.
Gotcha! Understood.

There were some others on here however complaining about how people are making judgements based on smartphone pics and basically how they should be making judgements instead based on those HD perfect lighting photos released by Acura... so my previous response still stands for them. lol
Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
randomRon, you'd better start working for Brenda Priddy!!! At least you are giving them a run for the money!!! ROTFLOL!

BTW, what is the point of having those glued on accessories, while keeping that terrible, ugly wheel!? ROTFLOL! That does not make sense to me. If anyone has money, change the wheels, rather than spending that on some accessory kit!!!
randomRon82 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ostrich
randomRon, you'd better start working for Brenda Priddy!!! At least you are giving them a run for the money!!! ROTFLOL!

BTW, what is the point of having those glued on accessories, while keeping that terrible, ugly wheel!? ROTFLOL! That does not make sense to me. If anyone has money, change the wheels, rather than spending that on some accessory kit!!!
Lmao, I was thinking the same thing! on both comments. hahaha
Old 07-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
To be honest, the more I see the SH-AWD wheels, the more I am starting to warm up to them....still far from being my favorite but it could do!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
To be honest, the more I see the SH-AWD wheels, the more I am starting to warm up to them....still far from being my favorite but it could do!
Weather, I have always liked the SH-AWD wheels, and I am glad that you are starting to like them too.... because I know that a white on black TLX Elite will be sitting on your driveway soon. So you might as well start to like the wheels... :-)
randomRon82 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Awww that is so generous of you to get me a brand new white TLX....You are a very generous guy

I have to agree with you, chances are that I will end up with a TLX next spring. There is nothing else out there that excites me or the things that do, I have a hard justifying paying that much extra over an Acura.
The following 4 users liked this post by weather:
a35tl (07-13-2014), Gen4MDX (07-13-2014), neuronbob (07-13-2014), randomRon82 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
There were some others on here however complaining about how people are making judgements based on smartphone pics and basically how they should be making judgements instead based on those HD perfect lighting photos released by Acura... so my previous response still stands for them. lol
If you go back and read the complaints, you'll see that was not the case at all. It was said to not judge the car (or create drama) over BOTH high-def pics OR smartphone pics, and to wait till you see it in real-life. There was no preference made to either or.

It's been said (and agreed to) many times here before that Acura cars in general are difficult to photograph. So even the ones that do look good in real-life, they are still tough to shoot.

The point at which almost everyone makes the final decision on a car is when they see it in the lot and experience reality with the car - not through photo's, not through marketing-hype, but in the flesh. At that point, if you're still disappointed, then no one is forcing you with a gun to your head. You are ultimately in control to make a different decision that makes you a happy car owner. The competition is better than ever to find something that comes close to your idea of perfection.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by holografique
If you go back and read the complaints, you'll see that was not the case at all. It was said to not judge the car (or create drama) over BOTH high-def pics OR smartphone pics, and to wait till you see it in real-life. There was no preference made to either or.

It's been said (and agreed to) many times here before that Acura cars in general are difficult to photograph. So even the ones that do look good in real-life, they are still tough to shoot.

The point at which almost everyone makes the final decision on a car is when they see it in the lot and experience reality with the car - not through photo's, not through marketing-hype, but in the flesh. At that point, if you're still disappointed, then no one is forcing you with a gun to your head. You are ultimately in control to make a different decision that makes you a happy car owner. The competition is better than ever to find something that comes close to your idea of perfection.
I get what you're saying and that's your opinion..

Here's my point... I believe we're all having "fun" here on this thread (correct me if I'm wrong anyone)... and any and all pictures are helpful for those of us considering to purchase a TLX. If anyone wants to bypass looking at spy pictures and make their final judgement based on their personal experience with the car, that is completely 100% understandable... but this probably isn't the forum/thread for them to visit.

I will continue to post pictures as I discover them for those wanting to see them.

If someone wants to judge the car based on pictures they've seen... that's their business. In my opinion we shouldn't get upset or be disrespectful to anyone if someone voices their opinion, whether your idea of the opinion is negative or positive. Having an opinion and voicing your concern about something isn't creating drama.

So if someone wants to bitch and complain about what they're seeing in the pictures, let them bitch and complain... it's okay. lol
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Awww that is so generous of you to get me a brand new white TLX....You are a very generous guy

I have to agree with you, chances are that I will end up with a TLX next spring. There is nothing else out there that excites me or the things that do, I have a hard justifying paying that much extra over an Acura.

I'm kind of on same boat , I'll end up with a TLX on the spring, also. The Canadian prices are spot on and it's hard to justify , from my point of vue , to jump on another brand (German or Japanese )
weather (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Momyc
I'm kind of on same boat , I'll end up with a TLX on the spring, also. The Canadian prices are spot on and it's hard to justify , from my point of vue , to jump on another brand (German or Japanese )
I'm on a similar position as you. Not wanting to experience another winter with my ILX, I put a deposit on a 2015 Audi S3 but the Canadian prices for the TLX along with the million of features you get with the car are having me second guess my decision. Pricewise, a loaded S3 and TLX are about the same give or take $2000, but the TLX has quite a few desirable features I wouldn't get in the S3. Only if the TLX had an adjustable suspension, I wouldn't be having this debate . The tradeoff of an adjustable suspension for features you wouldn't see in a car of this price range is quite, quite compelling. I'm also glad to see they took a stance on noise, as my ILX is terrible in the winter.

However, one of my concerns is the suspension issues some of us on the ILX & RDX forums are having and if the TLX will have them too. My dealer did tell me Acura was working on the issue and there would likely be a fix this year, so maybe the TLX won't be affected by the same issue. If I change my mind on the S3, I'll be lurking this forum for winter experiences.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ out of curiosity other than remote start, what are some of the features the S3 doesn't have?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Advanced

^^ out of curiosity other than remote start, what are some of the features the S3 doesn't have?
As per the Canadian S3 order sheet and Acura Canada's TLX section:
  • AcuraLink (No Audi Connect in Canada)
  • Keyless Access System for rear doors (Huge deal for my GF )
  • Power folding & auto-dimming side mirrors
  • Headlamp washers (A definite must-have in our horrible winters)
  • Ventilated front seats
  • LED fog lights (No fogs on the S3)
  • Heated rear seats
  • Lane Keeping Assist System†† (LKAS) (IIRC, Audi pre-sense side will only warn the driver that they are drifting from the lane)
  • Tire fill assist
  • HomeLink® remote system
  • Capless fueling system
  • Engine idle stop-start feature
  • Electronic gear selector

I suppose SH-AWD can be added to that list as the S3 does not have a Torsen-based AWD system (Many on the Audi forums I lurk call it true quattro) and uses a Haldex-based system instead, and my research tells me SH-AWD > any Haldex system thanks to torque-vectoring.

Last edited by Rickards; 07-13-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added colour to distinguish web links.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rickards:
dysonlu (07-31-2014), randomRon82 (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rickards
As per the Canadian S3 order sheet and Acura Canada's TLX section:
  • Tire fill assist
  • Capless fueling system
Capless fueler I can understand, but what is Tire Fill Assist, if not those valve hoses on the military Hummers?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
If someone wants to judge the car based on pictures they've seen... that's their business. In my opinion we shouldn't get upset or be disrespectful to anyone if someone voices their opinion, whether your idea of the opinion is negative or positive. Having an opinion and voicing your concern about something isn't creating drama.
You are making more out of this than it is. I already told Weather he didnt have to apologize for anything and to stop taking all of this sooo f'n personal. FFS, it's a car company and nothing more. All I did was voice MY "opinions" about the constant "hate fest". Just as everyone can complain, I too can complain about the complaints, and in no way is that being disrespectful. Never once did I deviate from the topic of conversation or take anything "personal".

I will continue to post pictures as I discover them for those wanting to see them.
Sweet! By all means please keep posting pictures. I never once said, insinuated or suggested you or anyone to stop posting pictures.

I actually come to this thread because of the very title of the post and the pictures you (and others) have been posting. I've even contributed by posting pictures of some of the tech in the RLX that is to be expected in the TLX to show some of the things that Acura IS doing right.

But don't sit here and act like it's just been a bunch of "having fun" posts. Their has been more than a plentiful amount of ridiculous speculation over who, what where and why Acura is the company that they are all over pictures of a product that isnt even out yet. And it just get's boring.

Last edited by holografique; 07-13-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4WDrift
Capless fueler I can understand, but what is Tire Fill Assist, if not those valve hoses on the military Hummers?
Perhaps its like the system on some Nissans where they use the TPMS sensors to detect the pressure as you are filling the tires. Once the sensors detect that you have filled to the recommended pressure the car signals you by flashing the hazard lights.

I could see how that might be helpful. Instead of having to stop and check with a tire gauge periodically.
4WDrift (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rickards
:
  • Keyless Access System for rear doors (Huge deal for my GF )
  • Power folding & auto-dimming side mirrors
  • Headlamp washers (A definite must-have in our horrible winters)
What is the "Keyless Access System for rear doors"? Does that mean you can just pull on the handle with the key in your pocket to unlock the car?

I see it listed on the Canadian TLX site as you referenced. For some reason it's not listed on the US specs though...

Also it looks like the power folding side mirrors is another Canadian only feature along with the headlight washers!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by motegi
What is the "Keyless Access System for rear doors"? Does that mean you can just pull on the handle with the key in your pocket to unlock the car?
Yes, but this time, it includes the rear passenger doors. My ILX only has keyless for the front doors and trunk, so looks like Acura is making the entire car keyless.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation Fyi

Acura TLX Production Starts
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...arts/12616077/

The following 6 users liked this post by randomRon82:
2011TL (07-14-2014), Acura_Dude (07-14-2014), holografique (07-14-2014), Rocket_man (07-14-2014), Timmy18 (07-14-2014), Tonyware (07-14-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
^ busy line up ... I guess during the first couple of weeks they have all these QA consultants around.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Instructor

It's sad to see them going downhill every gen. The 3G TL Type S was perfect. Come 4g, slightly worse due to the extra fat and ugly front grille. Come 5g where they managed to screw up the rear (lol @ no visible exhaust). So happy with my 3g 8 years later.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Instructor

The front literally looks like a Camry.

Quick Reply: TLX in the wild... and new pics