TLX in the wild... and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Why do people even bother arguing and debating ad nauseum with other people on messageboards? It's quite obvious that not everyone who posts is an intelligent, psychologically well-balanced, rational, mature, level-headed person. If you saw these people in person you wouldn't try to reason with them, you would hopefully simply ignore them. Yet here in internet-land it goes on and on and on and on.

A self-proclaimed authority on, well, everything, who does not even know the correct usage of "you're", is not worth the effort being displayed here. Still I have to scroll through endless pages of nonsense just to see if something worth reading is here.

Never have so many said so much for so long about so many things, just to prove that they know...absolutely nothing.
The following 8 users liked this post by 4thaccord:
a35tl (07-06-2014), Goosew (07-06-2014), hadokenuh (07-06-2014), HeartTLs (07-09-2014), mr2core (07-07-2014), pnoi521 (07-06-2014), rockyfeller (07-06-2014), Tonyware (07-06-2014) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:17 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
^ +1

You nailed it.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Damn. Someone's pissed. Lol
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by randomRon82
Damn. Someone's pissed. Lol
Old 07-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
BTW quick question: Has anyone else noticed how the opinions swayed over to the positive side once Acura released the pricing of the TLX recently? It may just be me, but it's something i've noticed, especially the last few pages of this thread. The more high-quality shots the more everyone likes the car.
He!!s yeah
Acura_Dude (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

The TLX is back in my consideration set. The top 3 currently (for me) is a V6 TLX SHawd Advance; 2016 RDX if I can get the Advance package or the upcoming Lexus NX 2.0T. I love having options
Acura_Dude (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
BTW quick question: Has anyone else noticed how the opinions swayed over to the positive side once Acura released the pricing of the TLX recently?
Things do seem more positive with the release of pricing.

I always liked the design but would have preferred the angrier, quasi-aggressive styling of the concept car.
Acura_Dude (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 07:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,595 Likes on 959 Posts
Forget selling cars: Stick to your day job, Tiger Woods

As a car salesman, Tiger Woods’ record as a former Buick pitchman suggests he is a great golfer. Yet Acura in the United States has signed him to a three-year deal.

Yes, Tiger will certainly shine a spotlight on Acura – just as his presence in a golf tournament boosts television ratings. But Acura doesn’t need attention; its products need authenticity. Moreover, Tiger himself is a global brand charging global prices, yet Acura is a North American brand. This is not a good fit.

This is not to pick on Tiger. He earned a reported $55-million in endorsements last year acting as the face of Rolex, Nike and others. Acura, however, is not an established brand whose authenticity is a given. Acura is striving for credibility that Tiger doesn’t offer in an automotive deal.

Tiger will cost Acura millions and may yet haunt Honda’s luxury brand, the one struggling to find itself, to carve out a premium niche separate and unique from the Germans, not to mention Lexus, Infiniti, Lincoln, Cadillac and even Volvo. With a nod to George Santayana, how is it possible that the marketing geniuses at Acura have been unable to remember Buick’s past with Tiger?

To recap, in 2008 Tiger’s eight-year, $56-million deal with Buick came to a merciful end . Did Tiger’s $7-million annual stipend snap Buick out of a decades-long funk created by a lineup of vehicles that themselves lacked authenticity? No. Buick today, six years without Tiger, is healthy and growing because its lineup speaks directly to the near-luxury brand promise crafted by the products, not the pitchman.

This is a lesson Acura overlooked. Acura suffers from a lineup based too obviously on Honda platforms. This is not unlike Buick in its Tiger days and before, when Buicks were the worst sort of badge-engineered vehicles based on generic General Motors engineering.

Perhaps things will change at Acura when the coming TLX hits showrooms, followed by the next NSX super car. But for now, at the very least the Tiger deal is premature, coming along at a difficult time for Acura. The remake of the Acura brand that began several years ago with the launch of the RDX, ILX, MDX and RLX has to date gone sideways at best.

Acura sales this year are down 1.4 per cent in Canada, despite a major marketing and product push, and U.S. sales are up a modest 4.8 per cent. Meanwhile, Infiniti Canada’s sales are up 18.6 per cent, Lexus sales have jumped 16.3 per cent and the big three Germans – Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz – are also growing sales. Clearly, the “new” Acura is a lot like the old one.

Yes, Tiger is a bad move for Acura. This brand most certainly should not be involved with a global pitchman whose track record in automotive is not good. The exposure Acura gets from its Tiger alliance will obviously be significant, but the vehicles in Acura showrooms are the problem.

At this stage of Acura’s rebuild, I would argue for an endorsement deal more similar to Infiniti’s agreement with Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel. Infiniti, Nissan’s luxury brand, is the sponsor of Vettel’s Red Bull Racing team and the cars use Renault engines and take engineering help from the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Vettel himself carries the title of “Infiniti Director of Performance” and he told me that he is quite involved in developing cars that drive like they’ve been tweaked by a champion – him.

The latest example of the Vettel effect is the Q50 Eau Rouge unveiled in January at the Detroit auto show. The Eau Rouge is a Formula One-inspired sports sedan, right down to its sculpted body-side rocker wings, carbon-fiber body components, ceramic exhausts and aerodynamic back end.

Take a close look. The next wave of Infiniti products slated to start appearing in 2016 will reflect what we’re seeing in the Eau Rouge, a car Vettel had a role in developing. Vettel, we’re told, is more than lipstick on the Infiniti brand.

Tiger, meanwhile, represents only a cosmetic upgrade to the Acura brand. What Acura really needs are unique vehicles that do not carry the scent of their Honda roots.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle19375948/
Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tony Pac

As a car salesman, Tiger Woods’ record as a former Buick pitchman suggests he is a great golfer. Yet Acura in the United States has signed him to a three-year deal.

Yes, Tiger will certainly shine a spotlight on Acura – just as his presence in a golf tournament boosts television ratings. But Acura doesn’t need attention; its products need authenticity. Moreover, Tiger himself is a global brand charging global prices, yet Acura is a North American brand. This is not a good fit.

This is not to pick on Tiger. He earned a reported $55-million in endorsements last year acting as the face of Rolex, Nike and others. Acura, however, is not an established brand whose authenticity is a given. Acura is striving for credibility that Tiger doesn’t offer in an automotive deal.

Tiger will cost Acura millions and may yet haunt Honda’s luxury brand, the one struggling to find itself, to carve out a premium niche separate and unique from the Germans, not to mention Lexus, Infiniti, Lincoln, Cadillac and even Volvo. With a nod to George Santayana, how is it possible that the marketing geniuses at Acura have been unable to remember Buick’s past with Tiger?

To recap, in 2008 Tiger’s eight-year, $56-million deal with Buick came to a merciful end . Did Tiger’s $7-million annual stipend snap Buick out of a decades-long funk created by a lineup of vehicles that themselves lacked authenticity? No. Buick today, six years without Tiger, is healthy and growing because its lineup speaks directly to the near-luxury brand promise crafted by the products, not the pitchman.

This is a lesson Acura overlooked. Acura suffers from a lineup based too obviously on Honda platforms. This is not unlike Buick in its Tiger days and before, when Buicks were the worst sort of badge-engineered vehicles based on generic General Motors engineering.

Perhaps things will change at Acura when the coming TLX hits showrooms, followed by the next NSX super car. But for now, at the very least the Tiger deal is premature, coming along at a difficult time for Acura. The remake of the Acura brand that began several years ago with the launch of the RDX, ILX, MDX and RLX has to date gone sideways at best.

Acura sales this year are down 1.4 per cent in Canada, despite a major marketing and product push, and U.S. sales are up a modest 4.8 per cent. Meanwhile, Infiniti Canada’s sales are up 18.6 per cent, Lexus sales have jumped 16.3 per cent and the big three Germans – Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz – are also growing sales. Clearly, the “new” Acura is a lot like the old one.

Yes, Tiger is a bad move for Acura. This brand most certainly should not be involved with a global pitchman whose track record in automotive is not good. The exposure Acura gets from its Tiger alliance will obviously be significant, but the vehicles in Acura showrooms are the problem.

At this stage of Acura’s rebuild, I would argue for an endorsement deal more similar to Infiniti’s agreement with Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel. Infiniti, Nissan’s luxury brand, is the sponsor of Vettel’s Red Bull Racing team and the cars use Renault engines and take engineering help from the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Vettel himself carries the title of “Infiniti Director of Performance” and he told me that he is quite involved in developing cars that drive like they’ve been tweaked by a champion – him.

The latest example of the Vettel effect is the Q50 Eau Rouge unveiled in January at the Detroit auto show. The Eau Rouge is a Formula One-inspired sports sedan, right down to its sculpted body-side rocker wings, carbon-fiber body components, ceramic exhausts and aerodynamic back end.

Take a close look. The next wave of Infiniti products slated to start appearing in 2016 will reflect what we’re seeing in the Eau Rouge, a car Vettel had a role in developing. Vettel, we’re told, is more than lipstick on the Infiniti brand.

Tiger, meanwhile, represents only a cosmetic upgrade to the Acura brand. What Acura really needs are unique vehicles that do not carry the scent of their Honda roots.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle19375948/
Whoah, thanks (not really) for writing this novel. Stop!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Lol you guys are silly
Acura_Dude (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Thanks for the info Tony, this was posted on another thread... I don't even want to begin this discussion on here. I agree with the article writer though, perhaps another bad move and a waste of money for the company that they could be putting into product... maybe they know what they're doing though.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:14 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Agree. Not every kid will get out of trouble if he or she holds a golf club. But from what I have seen around me... give a kid a torque wrench and a bunch of sockets and he or even she will develop some amazing skills very early on in life, learn about process, safety etc. So, Acura should have done the smart thing (and Honda I guess) and throw their money into mechanic apprentice programs. Thats where the new innovators will come from. Not (pointless) golf!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Things do seem more positive with the release of pricing.

I always liked the design but would have preferred the angrier, quasi-aggressive styling of the concept car.
+10000, exactly how I feel. Never had any issues with the overall design of the car. The prototype caught my attention immediately.

Lol you guys are silly

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Agree. Not every kid will get out of trouble if he or she holds a golf club. But from what I have seen around me... give a kid a torque wrench and a bunch of sockets and he or even she will develop some amazing skills very early on in life, learn about process, safety etc. So, Acura should have done the smart thing (and Honda I guess) and throw their money into mechanic apprentice programs. Thats where the new innovators will come from. Not (pointless) golf!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,595 Likes on 959 Posts
Thanks for the info Tony, this was posted on another thread... I don't even want to begin this discussion on here. I agree with the article writer though, perhaps another bad move and a waste of money for the company that they could be putting into product... maybe they know what they're doing though.
sorry I didn't know it was already posted. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4thaccord
Why do people even bother arguing and debating ad nauseum with other people on messageboards? It's quite obvious that not everyone who posts is an intelligent, psychologically well-balanced, rational, mature, level-headed person. If you saw these people in person you wouldn't try to reason with them, you would hopefully simply ignore them. Yet here in internet-land it goes on and on and on and on.

A self-proclaimed authority on, well, everything, who does not even know the correct usage of "you're", is not worth the effort being displayed here. Still I have to scroll through endless pages of nonsense just to see if something worth reading is here.

Never have so many said so much for so long about so many things, just to prove that they know...absolutely nothing.
So true.

Lol, I finally figured that out so that's why I ended it.

Last edited by motegi; 07-06-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Like fixing defective dampers and suspension bolts that back out. Based on the content list I think we will be able to add the TLX to the list of Acura products with bad dampers. Maybe Acura thought that they would hire Tiger Woods to tell us how great the car is and we wouldn't notice that thunking sound. Boy those marketing guys are genius. They can even fix bad dampers.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Apparently the TLX was the pace car at the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix bicycle race :

View this post on Instagram

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 07-07-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Timmy18 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 12:21 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
What's up with the caravan of TLXs popping up randomly at different places? Are these cars going around to different dealerships to get the sales teams a sneak preview I assume?

Or is this some weird marketing promotion for the general public? If it is then it is pretty dumb that they are not publicly posting where they are going next. From most pics it looks like it isn't generating much of a buzz. Some random people may be curious to an extent but most won't really care that much unless they are in the market for a car.

They have been doing an RLX tour that is hardly being promoted. I went to it at a weird location and there was hardly anybody there. The Acura employees were standing around bored and 4 RLXs were just sitting there. People walking by were oblivious. Like "what's goin on?" Oh RLX. Oh OK. No I'm busy now, bye! No wait! We'll give you a $50 giftcard. Really Acura? That desperate? Why do such a pathetic job in promoting it. Makes no sense. Why not utilize social media spread the word and let people in on it? Instead they post dumb stuff on their FB page.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 07-07-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
What's up with the caravan of TLXs popping up randomly at different places? Are these cars going around to different dealerships to get the sales teams a sneak preview I assume?

Or is this some weird marketing promotion for the general public? If it is then it is pretty dumb that they are not publicly posting where they are going next. From most pics it looks like it isn't generating much of a buzz. Some random people may be curious to an extent but most won't really care that much unless they are in the market for a car.

They have been doing an RLX tour that is hardly being promoted. I went to it at a weird location and there was hardly anybody there. The Acura employees were standing around bored and 4 RLXs were just sitting there. People walking by were oblivious. Like "what's goin on?" Oh RLX. Oh OK. No I'm busy now, bye! No wait! We'll give you a $50 giftcard. Really Acura? That desperate? Why do such a pathetic job in promoting it. Makes no sense. Why not utilize social media spread the word and let people in on it? Instead they post dumb stuff on their FB page.
For those in LA... maybe this is a shot?

For the third consecutive season, Acura is a proud sponsor of the Hollywood Bowl, taking the thrill from the street to your seat all season long.

Plan to attend one of the Acura-sponsored performances listed below to see a number of Acura models, including the MDX luxury SUV, the RLX Sport Hybrid flagship luxury-performance sedan, and the all-new 2015 TLX performance-luxury sedan.

SUN 6/29 7:00 PM Röyksopp & Robyn
SAT 7/12 8:00 PM Chris Botti and Chris Isaak
SAT 7/19 8:00 PM DreamWorks Animation in Concert - Celebrating 20 Years
FRI 8/1 8:00 PM Hair featuring director and choreographer Adam Shankman
SAT 8/2 8:00 PM Hair featuring director and choreographer Adam Shankman
SUN 8/3 7:30 PM Hair featuring director and choreographer Adam Shankman
SAT 8/9 8:00 PM Gladys Knight, Kool & the Gang
WED 8/13 8:00 PM Get On Up: A James Brown Celebration with Christian McBride, D'Angelo, Angélique Kidjo, Aloe Blacc, and Bettye LaVette
WED 8/20 8:00 PM Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On with John Legend
SAT 8/23 8:00 PM The Beatles 50th at the Bowl
FRI 9/5 8:00 PM Elvis Costello/Ben Folds featuring the Los Angeles Philharmonic
SAT 9/6 8:00 PM Elvis Costello/Ben Folds featuring the Los Angeles Philharmonic
THURS 9/18 8:00 PM Neutral Milk Hotel
SUN 9/21 7:00 PM Caetano Veloso, Andrew Bird, Devendra Banhart
Old 07-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Timmy18 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
I kinda like these rims with this color. Could be the lighting or angle, but i'd definitely have to see it in person.

The following 2 users liked this post by Illuminati:
FoxTL (07-09-2014), Timmy18 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Illuminati
I kinda like these rims with this color. Could be the lighting or angle, but i'd definitely have to see it in person.
I noticed that too, but thought it was just an instagram filter... freakin Acura. It would actually not look bad at all if those inner spokes were that dark but they didn't look like that up on stage.

Edit: It is just the filter... look up a few posts... that car is actually supposed to be the graphite color, not black... and those Acura flags are supposed to be navy blue.
instagram is dumb.

Last edited by randomRon82; 07-08-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
I noticed that too, but thought it was just an instagram filter... freakin Acura. It would actually not look bad at all if those inner spokes were that dark but they didn't look like that up on stage.

Edit: It is just the filter... look up a few posts... that car is actually supposed to be the graphite color, not black... and those Acura flags are supposed to be navy blue.
instagram is dumb.
Yeah your right lol
Old 07-08-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
it doesnt even look like an acura any more.

stupid cookie cutter lexus.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
it doesnt even look like an acura any more.

stupid cookie cutter lexus.
Speaking of Lexus I recently noticed an interesting phenomenon here in the LA area that is the mecca for high end cars. And that is that I have suddenly started seeing many more GS models than in the past. It looks like the GS has suddenly become the car to have and recently being a passenger in one I think I see why. While the exterior is not all that dramatic or innovative the interior is quite beautiful and well laid out. Moreover the car had an unusual amount of "grunt" in terms of performance and handling that surprised me. I was driving next to two GS's yesterday and was behind another one today and in most cases the drivers were youngish and driving the car like it was a hotrod. Definitely looks like a worthwhile stretch for someone considering the TL.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:18 PM
David_Dude

I've seen a few GS in my area as well, and I live in a small town.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 PM

well, pre-predator grilles, the TLX favors the IS3xx models.

kinda like the design team saw how well that look sells and copied it.
cookie cutter.
Acura_Dude (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 PM
David_Dude

Justn I love reading your posts.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

This was posted on twitter.... apparently there was a commercial shoot downtown... not a very clear shot, but gives you some perspective of what it looks like at night on the street in the wild.

Name:  45.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  44.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  68.4 KB
The following 6 users liked this post by randomRon82:
Acura_Dude (07-09-2014), mr2core (07-09-2014), MuGen7Modulo (07-08-2014), ostrich (07-08-2014), Oswald Vater (07-09-2014), Timmy18 (07-09-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:03 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
^Yeah, the car looks hot in silver and it will sale very well.
Nice.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 PM

it looks like an accord
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I think it looks quite a bit better than an Accord, although I do like the way the Accord looks.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
it looks like an accord
I'll raise your observation to Accord Sport which I don't think is a bad looking car, but I expect Acura to raise the bar. This thing is going to have customers, but certainly not something to feel good about as a car guy.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Looks "sleeker" in those pics.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by motegi
Clearly the difference between objective and subjective is foreign to you despite your assertions that my points are not objective. Each one of my points has been backed up with numbers/facts.
how is your points objective. when Genesis V6 is clearly a slow car and will handle worse than SH-AWD. nothing can change it.
[quote]
Actually the RL had torque vectoring SH-AWD in 2005 as standard. Even the outgoing TL had SH-AWD. The RLX got PAWS and jewel eye LEDs first and is supposed to get the next generation SH-AWD hybrid power train which is completely different from the TLX. [/quot]
TL also got push button start, 19inch rims and HDD navigation ahead of RL. the point I am making is the realease date of vehicle not its class that define introduction of technology.
As far as your opinion as to what should and shouldn't be a large luxury car you are implying that the IIHS, the EPA, and US News and World Report are all mistaken? Everyone including JD Power and Consumer Reports use the EPA total volume category and price to divide their lists. I don't know how much clearer it needs to be for you.
EPA fuel economic figures about various models proven to be highly unreliable and were constitently revised. Accord to EPA TSX and Civic has practically same interior space but TSX feels very spacious inside.
By the way I never said the Genesis was equivalent to an S-class. The S-class is categorized as "Super Luxury over $60k" by USN&WR along with the 7-series, A7/A8, Tesla Model S, and Porsche Panamera. They are in a different category of their own. Feel free to look at these rankings yourself. The titles for the lists were assigned by the organizations themselves.
You made categories just because of size. according to your logic Lexus GS F sport is of lower category than Genesis because it is shorter in length.
I will anxiously await your posting of any data and or measurements to support your claims. Until that time, I see no reason to make any further reply to your continued opinion based responses.
I look at 9speed transmission, DI engine, SH-AWD, light weight structure, aerodynamic shaping, that will comprehensively out perform Genesis to make it one class above Genesis.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:14 AM
David_Dude

Can't wait to see this new commercial.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by a32tl
I think it looks quite a bit better than an Accord, although I do like the way the Accord looks.
I will reserve final judgment until I see the TLX in person, but from what I've seen, and the specs I've read thus far, I'm not sure the TLX will distinguish itself enough from the Accord. This current gen Accord has both the looks and the atheticism you would expect in an Acura, and given it has a roomier interior, there will have to be other feature to incent someone to go for the TLX.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 AM
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
tlx in the wild

Unfortunately, the acura tlx has no buzz anywhere except on acurazine and other acura/honda dedicated sites. The tlx looks ok, but there is basically nothing separating it from 10 others cars. I have looked in all of the car magazines, and there are virtually no mentions of the tlx (except some ads.) Acura chose to play it safe, and this is the result. The simple fact that there will be no sport suspension, and no turbo 4, should be enough to reinforce that idea. I am not saying that is bad, it is simply the direction that acura chose to go.

As others have mentioned, acura has a basic problem. The 4cyl tlx is too much like an accord for 8K more. Perhaps the accord is too good at its price point. The spread between the lowest priced accord and the top of the line accord is about 10k, but the cars look almost the same. The spread between the tlx bottom and top is about 18k, but the real problem is that the bottom starts too low. On the street, you will see mostly 4cyl tlx's that were purchased for about 30k. If you purchase the top line tlx for 45k, you will have a better car (in terms of features,) but you will have very little, if any brand "cache."

Acura really should copy lexus, and make unique platforms for their higher end sedan cars. Lexus has the es (camry) for the lower market and then 3 unique platforms for the upper market (small, medium, large- is, gs, ls.) Acura has 3 models (ilx- civic, tlx-accord, rlx-accord xl.) That is why they are in the position they are. Acura can easily be the affordable alternative to lexus, but the honda lineup continously undermines that effort.

In terms of signing tiger woods as a spokesman, I think that is a big mistake. Even though he is still a top golfer, his personal problems have permanently tainted both his image, and those of any products that he endorses. In general, I think that companies should partner with a celebrity only if the public can see that person using those products. Do you think tiger woods would drive an acura? Or a buick? Tiger woods sells his image to anyone that will pay him his fee. Compare that to other greats in other sports (federer in tennis, etc.)
The following 3 users liked this post by billjacobs:
Gen4MDX (07-09-2014), randomRon82 (07-09-2014), VelfarreClubber (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
forgot to add 1 more thing

I mentioned that acura should be more like lexus, how about being more like infiniti? Infiniti is copying the lexus playbook by offering unique offerings at a lower price point. The have unique models, but they are smart because they don't offer a nissan rebadge in the infiniti line. All of their sedans are rwd with an available v8 and awd. I don't particularly like the infiniti interior and find their seats very uncomfortable, but their idea is dead on.

In the lower price tiers, honda has by far the best offerings, and the most popular cars, in virtually all of their offerings. If they copy the infiniti sedan play book, they can easily become the "affordable" alternative to lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by billjacobs:
FoxTL (07-09-2014), randomRon82 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ I agree with you Bill, however we've exhausted this discussion... lol.... see previous heated posts on this thread.

Quick Reply: TLX in the wild... and new pics