TLX in the wild... and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Another angle is to compare based on EPA total interior volume which is used to determine the US Federal compact, midsize, and large car categories:
  • Compact car = 100–109.9 cu ft
  • Midsize car = 110–119.9 cu ft
  • Large car = ≥ 120 cu ft
2015 TLX = (no figures available yet)

2014 TL = 111.3 cu ft (lower midsize category)

2014 TSX = 108.5 cu ft (upper compact category)

2014 RLX = 117.0 cu ft (upper midsize category)

2015 Genesis = 123.0 cu ft (large car category)
So even if they keep the TLX's interior volume the same as the TL it is not in the same EPA size category as the Genesis.

Somewhat of a surprise is the following:

2015 Sonata = 122.4 cu ft (large car category)

2014 Azera = 123.3 cu ft (large car category)

2014 Accord = 119.0 cu ft (upper midsize - LARGER THAN THE RLX?)
Old 07-05-2014, 01:39 AM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many variables for interior volume. Are they measuring the bare shell or equipped?
If equipped, thickness of seats, headliners, door panels and such count against luxury cars!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:10 AM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
After seeing that Genesis commercial (which was epic by the way) I really like the new Genesis. Was on the fence about it when I first saw it, but they looked great in that commercial in every color.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by motegi

To get the same driver assistance features (auto braking, lane keeping, adaptive cruise, etc) seen on the $60k V6 Advance RLX you can get a 2015 Genesis V6 Tech for only $45,500.
Actually the Genesis Ultimate would be close to the RLX Advance since the Ultimate has the better sound system, larger navi screen, which has MSRP for $52,450 and considering the prices we have heard recent RLX Advance owners getting they are close in price after discounts. It is funny how with the TLX Acura is back to the "value" message with pricing. I guess they learned from the RLX they can not play with the big boys on price.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
Actually the Genesis Ultimate would be close to the RLX Advance since the Ultimate has the better sound system, larger navi screen, which has MSRP for $52,450 and considering the prices we have heard recent RLX Advance owners getting they are close in price after discounts. It is funny how with the TLX Acura is back to the "value" message with pricing. I guess they learned from the RLX they can not play with the big boys on price.
I thought about that but actually the Genesis Tech trim already gets the upgraded leather, upgraded 14 speaker Lexicon sound system, 8-inch center LCD display, 14 way adjustable heated and ventilated memory seats, power rear sunshade, panoramic sunroof, auto trunk release sensor, and all of the active driver assistance safety features (collision mitigation/auto braking, lane departure warning, lane keeping assistance, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert).

By going Ultimate you get 3 more speakers on the Lexicon system along with a 1 inch larger navi display, and a heads up display projected onto the drivers side front windshield. Oh and you lose the touchscreen interface and instead get a control knob on the center console.

Based on this I think the Genesis Tech actually hits most of the RLX Advance PAWS's marks at nearly $15,000 less.

Albeit you lose The Acura dealer service experience which I honestly find to be among the best in the business over my 25 years of continuous Acura ownership. Hyundai dealer service departments vary greatly from being kinda like a Honda dealer to dirtier than a street corner service station. Certainly not a luxury atmosphere. But for a routine 2 trips to the dealer each year is this difference worth the extra $15k?

Last edited by motegi; 07-05-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Instructor

As you know the same week that we got the Genesis for the wife, I traded my SH-AWD RL for an Audi A8L Premium. I'm embarrassed to say that the Genesis even compares favorably to my new car in terms of space, features, and ride considering that the MSRP is more than 50% less... There are actually so many things on the 2015 Genesis that remind me directly of Audi which clearly shows their design influence and Hyundai/Kia head of design Peter Schreyers prior work at Audi.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
FYI, LKAS in the RLX works exactly like shown in that Hyundai commercial, but obviously not modified to stay permanently engaged like they did in the commercial. It's scary wicked tech and never ceases to amaze me when I put it use in my RLX. I think it' safe to assume it's going to work/operate exactly the same in the TLX.

One thing to note: it's very easy to reset the "safety" timer in LKAS. By default an alert on the MID will come up that "steering is required" after it detects no manual input or movement on the steering wheel (hands-free) for about 10-15 sec. To reset it, all you have to do is slightly nudge it (and I do mean slightly) with your knee and the timer is reset

DISCLAIMER: I'm not encouraging anyone to do this, just stating an observation I've made after a year in my RLX.

As for the questions on how the TLX will drive and handle, if it's anything similar to the RLX (minus the suspension rattle issues), it's going to drive like a dream. Especially the V6 model. The V6 engine is very peppy with far more gusto and responsiveness than my old 6-spd MT 3G TL. And even thought the RLX is tuned for 310hp, I have to imagine the difference in base weight (300-400lbs less?) will displace that 20hp difference, yet still feeling even "peppier" than the RLX with the TLX chassis being smaller.

The RLX already drives and feels very sporty, with the TLX coming in at a lighter weight and add SH-AWD drive to it, I can only imagine the Advance SH-AWD trim is going to be a killer car to drive. To the point that if the interior and all the tech features of the Advance V6 SH-AWD trim give me close to or similar feeling of luxury & handling as I get with my Advanced RLX, then I might have to go for one when my lease is up, especially at almost $15k less...
Old 07-05-2014, 10:31 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
My opinion about the pricing: It is the one thing about this car they absolutely nailed.

I honestly thought everything would be in a 5k higher bracket for all trims, but thank God they didn't do that. It is bingo right in the sweet spot where it is affordable/decent value for us and competitive for them. They broadened the pricing for broader appeal. They kept themselves between the Kia/Hyundai bracket and the Lexus bracket. In some ways it has crept up slightly (but if the car is that much better than the 4G it is justified.) but at least it didn't LEAP up. Smart.

Someone in that company is doing SOMETHING right. I think this in itself ensures this car will be a sales success.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 07-05-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:05 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
My opinion about the pricing: It is the one thing about this car they absolutely nailed.

I honestly thought everything would be in a 5k higher bracket for all trims, but thank God they didn't do that. It is bingo right in the sweet spot where it is affordable/decent value for us and competitive for them. They broadened the pricing for broader appeal. They kept themselves between the Kia/Hyundai bracket and the Lexus bracket. In some ways it has crept up slightly (but if the car is that much better than the 4G it is justified.) but at least it didn't LEAP up. Smart.

Someone in that company is doing SOMETHING right. I think this in itself ensures this car will be a sales success.

MHO...
If they price anything above the announcement they are suicidal, as is the Acura brand is moving from tier 2 to tier 3 and will never recover. Made huge mistakes on RL and RLX and the beak is not helping them at all.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller

Yup, this car at those prices will be a success. You know in the bigger car world, no one really takes you that serious if you say you're a car guy, then roll up in a TL. Yeah its a great driving car but it doesn't have true street cred or drive train layout to ever be considered one of the great sport sedans of segment, as much as I wish they would try. They decided to make a great mid-luxury family sedan that will appeal to a lot of buyers at a great price, like they have always done. Here's hoping for a Type-S to solve that but currently too many great rear drive sport sedans out there for me to be entertained by the TLX (but I'm also willing and able to go after something at a higher price point).
Old 07-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Out of curiosity here are the dimensions for some other cars:

2014 HYUNDAI AZERA
WIDTH 6 ft. 1.2 in. (73.2 in.)
LENGTH 16 ft. 1.3 in. (193.3 in.)
WHEEL BASE 9 ft. 4 in. (112 in.)

BASE ENGINE SIZE 3.3 L V6
TORQUE 255 ft-lbs. @ 5200 rpm
HORSEPOWER 293 hp @ 6400 rpm

PRICING $31,000 - $34,750

2015 HYUNDAI SONATA
WIDTH 6 ft. 1.4 in. (73.4 in.)
LENGTH 15 ft. 11.1 in. (191.1 in.)
WHEEL BASE 9 ft. 2.4 in. (110.4 in.)

BASE ENGINE SIZE 2.0 L Inline 4
TORQUE 260 ft-lbs. @ 1350 rpm
HORSEPOWER 245 hp @ 6000 rpm

PRICING: $21,150 - $28,575

2014 HONDA ACCORD V6 TOURING
WIDTH 6 ft. 0.8 in. (72.8 in.)
LENGTH 15 ft. 11.4 in. (191.4 in.)
WHEEL BASE 9 ft. 1.3 in. (109.3 in.)

BASE ENGINE SIZE 3.5 L V6
TORQUE 252 ft-lbs. @ 4900 rpm
HORSEPOWER 278 hp @ 6200 rpm

PRICING $33,480

That's compared to the 2015 TLX:
WIDTH (dimensions not released)
LENGTH 190.2 (Acura has reported that it will be "3.8 inches shorter" than the '14 TL)
WHEEL BASE 109.3 (It has been reported that the wheelbase will be the same as the '14 TL)

V6 ENGINE SIZE 3.5 L
HORSEPOWER 290 hp

BASE PRICE $35,220 for the V6 PAWS model
All your data is meaningless. The only thing that matters is rear leg space and head room.
Even Toyota Corrolla has much or more rear leg space as Hyundai Genesis. At some point it become superfluous to add more.
All indications at this point is that V6 TLX will be faster than RLX (New transmission, class leading aerodynamic, lighter weight, engine designed for broad torque like MDX). which squarely put into V8 Genesis category interms of performance and far superior handling due to SH-AWD.
Acura also claim that it is the quietest car they ever built.
infact Genesis is overweight for V6. It should be compared to SUV rather than Sedan. MDX don't have 9speed auto yet.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
All your data is meaningless. The only thing that matters is rear leg space and head room.
Even Toyota Corrolla has much or more rear leg space as Hyundai Genesis. At some point it become superfluous to add more.
All indications at this point is that V6 TLX will be faster than RLX (New transmission, class leading aerodynamic, lighter weight, engine designed for broad torque like MDX). which squarely put into V8 Genesis category interms of performance and far superior handling due to SH-AWD.
Acura also claim that it is the quietest car they ever built.
infact Genesis is overweight for V6. It should be compared to SUV rather than Sedan. MDX don't have 9speed auto yet.
Really? All that matters is rear leg room and headroom? In that case I suppose that everyone should buy a Corolla instead of an RLX/TL/TSX/TLX/ILX. And I suppose my NSX is pretty near worthless based on that...

2014 TOYOTA COROLLA
WIDTH 5 ft. 9.9 in. (69.9 in.)
LENGTH 15 ft. 2.6 in. (182.6 in.)
WHEEL BASE 8 ft. 10.3 in. (106.3 in.)

BASE ENGINE SIZE 1.8 L Inline 4
TORQUE 128 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm
HORSEPOWER 132 hp @ 6000 rpm
My objective in posting the statistics is just to point out that the Genesis is not really the competition for the TLX. In terms of size and price the Genesis has moved up the chain.

People were commenting how the TLX was cheaper than the Genesis when equipped with this or that. Well that's because it is a smaller car aimed at a different size class.

The TLX is in fact going to be shorter front to back than the 2014 Accord and more than 6 inches shorter overall than the 2015 Genesis. And most importantly there is a wheelbase difference of over 9 inches.

Its like comparing a BMW 3 series vs a 5 series, a Cadillac ATS vs CTS, or an Infiniti Q50 vs Q70.

If you want an apples to apples comparison then the RLX is what the Genesis is aimed at.

The only vehicles in Hyundai's lineup that match up in terms of size are the new Sonata vs the 4 cylinder TLX and the Azera for the V6 TLX.

I'm thinking that the TLX would trump both of those cars as the Sonata is clearly aimed at the downmarket economy/family sedan buyer and the Azera doesn't have any of the active driver assistance features.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Safety Car

Really? All that matters is rear leg room and headroom? In that case I suppose that everyone should buy a Corolla instead of an RLX/TL/TSX/TLX/ILX. And I suppose my NSX is pretty near worthless based on that...

2014 TOYOTA COROLLA
WIDTH 5 ft. 9.9 in. (69.9 in.)
LENGTH 15 ft. 2.6 in. (182.6 in.)
WHEEL BASE 8 ft. 10.3 in. (106.3 in.)

BASE ENGINE SIZE 1.8 L Inline 4
TORQUE 128 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm
HORSEPOWER 132 hp @ 6000 rpm
I merely pointing out that even small cars have very efficient space management. so size is not criteria for some premium non premium. Lexus IS/GS are premium than Lexus ES despite ES have more interior volume. and neither is price. You can equip Lexus ES/IS more than Lexus GS. you can equip BMW 3 series more than BMW 5 series very easily. so price is not important factor.
My objective in posting the statistics is just to point out that the Genesis is not really the competition for the TLX. In terms of size and price the Genesis has moved up the chain.
You can charge as much as you want but it does not mean its worth that price. Discounts on new/used car resale values for Genesis will be a lot worse than TLX.
People were commenting how the TLX was cheaper than the Genesis when equipped with this or that. Well that's because it is a smaller car aimed at a different size class.
IS is smaller than ES by wide margin.

If you want an apples to apples comparison then the RLX is what the Genesis is aimed at.

The only vehicles in Hyundai's lineup that match up in terms of size are the new Sonata vs the 4 cylinder TLX and the Azera for the V6 TLX.
Sonata is too down market and poor performer to be of any competiton. You can see what kind of crap Hyundai is selling for $35k. now imagine this Genesis. This is too slow and too inefficient for this price point.
I'm thinking that the TLX would trump both of those cars as the Sonata is clearly aimed at the downmarket economy/family sedan buyer and the Azera doesn't have any of the active driver assistance features.
Hyundai prices has gone up without providing the handling/performance/efficiency edge.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Disagree about rear leg and head room, personally. While I think both areas are really important for rear passengers and for some that works and they will abide by that but for others, they may look at other areas such as how it relates to the driver first. Everyone should do what works best for them and should really get accustomed to a car besides what's on paper, often times there are notches in the interior and seat height and placement as well as positioning that factor into space and comfort levels that don't necessarily show up on paper.

I look at hip and overall volume, including total interior width as well as total length (front and back). Always has worked best for my size and stature and occupants and what feels comfortable and spacious for me but it's very subjective and individualized anyway. Reason being, that front and rear leg room can be adjusted for, as can front head room. You cannot adjust for the width of the cabin and are limited by what you can do to compensate for it's length if it's short, but may have more adjustability, if it's longer. Rear head room sort of is what it is but rear seat position and angle as it relates doesn't show up on paper, FWIW.

As far as vehicle size and placement, cars are all over the place today. A car may be sized for one "category" at any given mainstream or luxury level but be "classed" somewhere else because of price and perceived level of luxury or market placement. Class is much broader and doesn't necessarily take into account size, weight and different body types, drive-trains, engines, etc.

Not here to argue they should or should not but it's typically what magazines and consumer groups use. Category is more of a technical basis used mostly by the consumer and for specs and filing. Then brands often position their cars for a market or segment regardless of how the market responds to that. Furthermore, the terms entry and mid level, etc, don't have the same meanings anymore because there are models at every position and the gap between where mainstream or economy cars end and luxury starts is virtually non existent.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 07-05-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Instructor

I merely pointing out that even small cars have very efficient space management. so size is not criteria for some premium non premium. Lexus IS/GS are premium than Lexus ES despite ES have more interior volume. and neither is price. You can equip Lexus ES/IS more than Lexus GS. you can equip BMW 3 series more than BMW 5 series very easily. so price is not important factor.

IS is smaller than ES by wide margin.
I'm not understanding your argument. First you say that rear seat headroom and legroom are the most important criteria. Now you seem to be saying smaller is better and price is no object...

I've driven the Lexus IS and the BMW 3-series. The rear seat legroom is atrocious in both cars.

Your argument would seem to say that a Subaru WRX STi is better than a Mercedes E350 or BMW528i because it's faster and handles better.

Total interior volume (passenger + cargo) is clearly a factor for most buyers otherwise why would most automakers produce and sell multiple sized cars. And despite your attempts to talk around the obvious, any particular brand the base price of each sedan tends to go up with size. Of course I'm not talking loaded, F-Sport models, M-series, or hybrids I'm talking about comparing base price for each size category. This is just how the industry works. If the base Audi A4 was more expensive than the base A6 then nobody would buy an A4. To your point, does a loaded BMW M3 cost more than a base BMW 520i? Most certainly, but the M3 is not going to suit the needs of everyone.

Sonata is too down market and poor performer to be of any competiton. You can see what kind of crap Hyundai is selling for $35k. now imagine this Genesis. This is too slow and too inefficient for this price point.
I was not arguing this point. In the size/price range of the TLX, Hyundai has little to offer as they have chosen to place the Genesis into the large luxury sedan category.

On the other hand in the size/feature category of the RLX, the Genesis 3.8 wins in terms of value. As far as your handling/performance comments have you test driven a 2015 Genesis? The 3.8L RWD V6 is widely reviewed as being the most responsive when compared to the heavier AWD and V8 versions.

In terms of efficiency, you need to consider that the RLX MSRP is going to leave your bank account almost $15K lighter right from the beginning. Next the EPA mileage numbers for the RLX are 20/31 vs 18/29 for the Genesis. You'd have to drive quite the distance to make up that $15K initial difference in MSRP. Not to mention the RLX requires premium fuel only whereas the Genesis takes mid-grade which basically negates the 10% MPG savings at the pump.

As a former owner of an RL SHAWD I can tell you that the resale value was not the greatest due to initial dealer new car incentives and lower popularity of the car in general.

It all comes down to what features that you want in a car. If you want a entry-luxury, sporty, lower midsize sedan with an affordable price under $40K then the TLX should be on your short list for sure. On the other hand if you want a large sedan or upper midsize luxury with all of the latest technological features in the $40-$55K range and are looking at the RLX then the Genesis 3.8 should be on your test drive list too.

Last edited by motegi; 07-05-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
The following 4 users liked this post by mugen_kid:
a35tl (07-05-2014), cokorote (07-06-2014), randomRon82 (07-05-2014), Timmy18 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 03:44 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Old 07-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

I'm not understanding your argument. First you say that rear seat headroom and legroom are the most important criteria. Now you seem to be saying smaller is better and price is no object...
I did not say smaller is better. there is point comes that you don't want to increase the size of vehicle. like 190 inch is the maximum for mid size vehicles and that's what majority of vehicles sell. think about Camry/ES350. if size was so important Toyota would have put 4 cylinder engine into Avalon.
I've driven the Lexus IS and the BMW 3-series. The rear seat legroom is atrocious in both cars.
It does not make the cheap or lower class.
Your argument would seem to say that a Subaru WRX STi is better than a Mercedes E350 or BMW528i because it's faster and handles better.
WRX STi does not have that minimum leg room for mid size car. other things come later like refinement etc.
Total interior volume (passenger + cargo) is clearly a factor for most buyers otherwise why would most automakers produce multiple sized cars.
they produce multiple size cars but more than 95% cars either compact or midsize of about 190inch length.

And despite your attempts to talk around the obvious, any particular brand the base price of each sedan tends to go up with size. Of course I'm not talking loaded, F-Sport models, M-series, or hybrids I'm talking about comparing base price for each size category. This is just how the industry works. If the base Audi A4 was more expensive than the base A6 then nobody would buy an A4. To your point, does a loaded BMW M3 cost more than a base BMW 520i? Most certainly, but the M3 is not going to suit the needs of everyone.
I am not mentioning extreme case like M3. but just BMW 335i M Sport and BMW 528i. based on your logice BMW 528i is automatically higher class than BMW 335i M Sport?. (one has 6 cylinder refinement the other not) so which is more premium?
I am not going into xdrive or SH-AWD(which is clearly a premium system than Hyundai RWD/AWD). Just SH-AWD alone make TLX more premium than Genesis.

I was not arguing this point. In the size/price range of the TLX, Hyundai has little to offer as they have chosen to place the Genesis into the large luxury sedan category.
Large luxury category?. Name me one objective criteria that make Genesis luxury category.
On the other hand in the size/feature category of the RLX, the Genesis 3.8 wins in terms of value. As far as your handling/performance comments have you test driven a 2015 Genesis? The 3.8L RWD V6 is widely reviewed as being the most responsive when compared to the heavier AWD and V8 versions.
RLX is odd ball Japanese made vehicle. that may last 40 years in operation. its transmission is outdated compared to TLX.
In terms of efficiency, you need to consider that the RLX MSRP is going to leave your bank account almost $15K lighter right from the beginning. Next the EPA mileage numbers for the RLX are 20/31 vs 18/29 for the Genesis. You'd have to drive quite the distance to make up that $15K initial difference in MSRP. Not to mention the RLX requires premium fuel only whereas the Genesis takes mid-grade which basically negates the 10% MPG savings at the pump.
These vehicles rarely sell for MSRP. I bet 10 years used RLX will sale for higher resale than 10 years used Genesis. This how long Acura owners keep the vehicles to recoupe superior value.
As a former owner of an RL SHAWD I can tell you that the resale value was not the greatest due to initial dealer new car incentives and lower popularity of the car in general.
that car was outdated from beginning as it was launched with 5speed auto and 17 inch rims.
It all comes down to what features that you want in a car. If you want a entry-luxury, sporty, lower midsize sedan with an affordable price then the TLX should be on your short list for sure. On the other hand if you want a large or upper midsize luxury sedan with all of the latest technological features and are looking at the RLX then the Genesis 3.8 should be on your test drive list too.
I said what is those features that are of higher quality in Genesis. Does it have thicker glass than TLX?. how is the heat insulation and airconditioning system better.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by mugen_kid

Thanks, good pic... even with those cray cray wheels.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:11 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Quite sharp.

Last edited by MuGen7Modulo; 07-05-2014 at 04:16 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by MuGen7Modulo:
cokorote (07-06-2014), holografique (07-06-2014), mugen_kid (07-05-2014), randomRon82 (07-05-2014), skd2k1 (07-06-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
^Real nice shot of the TLX, probably the best angle I have liked.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (07-05-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Instructor

I did not say smaller is better. there is point comes that you don't want to increase the size of vehicle. like 190 inch is the maximum for mid size vehicles and that's what majority of vehicles sell. think about Camry/ES350. if size was so important Toyota would have put 4 cylinder engine into Avalon.
Just because the majority are under 190 inches doesn't mean that there is not a market for larger vehicles. Luxury cars will never be in the majority category just by nature of what they are.

It does not make the cheap or lower class.
I never said cheap or lower class. I'm not sure where you are getting that from. I was talking about size category which is clearly delineated by the Federal EPA volume guidelines that you even mentioned in your first point. This is not some arbitrary categorization and is used by insurance companies, state/federal lawmakers, and yes even automotive writers when deciding what to compare.

I am not mentioning extreme case like M3. but just BMW 335i M Sport and BMW 528i. based on your logice BMW 528i is automatically higher class than BMW 335i M Sport?. (one has 6 cylinder refinement the other not) so which is more premium?
Still the same applies regardless. A 3 series is one of BMWs entry level offerings in terms of size and price compared to the 5 series if you option them out similarly. Just like a RDX is the entry level Acura SUV compared to the MDX.

I am not going into xdrive or SH-AWD(which is clearly a premium system than Hyundai RWD/AWD). Just SH-AWD alone make TLX more premium than Genesis.
So one single feature makes a car more "premium" than another? So the SH-AWD on the TLX makes it automatically a more premium car than say my Audi A8L that only has Quattro? Of course this is not the case at all.

Large luxury category?. Name me one objective criteria that make Genesis luxury category.
Pretty much all of the reviews written about the second generation Genesis so far. But since you asked... all have soft touch interior materials w/ leather seating as standard, standard leather steering wheel and shift knob, NVH improvements, handling improvements courtesy of the engineers at Lotus, active safety features (AEB, LDW, LKAS, BSD, SCC, F/R parking assist radar w/ rear cross traffic monitor, haptic steering wheel), standard GPS navigation w/ 8 inch display and optional 9 inch HD display, power adjustable steering column, power folding side mirrors, EL gauge cluster with 4 or 7 inch integrated LCD center display, power rear sunshade and manual rear passenger door sunshades, dual zone climate control with available C02 sensor, heated and optionally ventilated seats, illuminated door sill plates and side mirror mounted puddle lights, BlueLink Gen 2 telematics w/ smartphone integration/remote lock/start, Siri eyes free, 12 way adjustable power seats with available power drivers lower seat extender and lower seat cushion side bolsters, Lexicon 14/17 speaker audio system, standard 18 inch alloy wheels, available panoramic sunroof, proximity key with pushbutton start and proximity automatic trunk release, and yes even the price.

I'm ashamed to say that my wife's 2015 Genesis Tech even compares favorably in terms of features to the Audi A8L Premium that I traded my RL in for. The price difference between these two cars is over double...

RLX is odd ball Japanese made vehicle. that may last 40 years in operation. its transmission is outdated compared to TLX.

These vehicles rarely sell for MSRP. I bet 10 years used RLX will sale for higher resale than 10 years used Genesis. This how long Acura owners keep the vehicles to recoupe superior value.
Trust me I know. I have been a continuous Acura owner for over 25 years. I started with a 1989 Legend LS sedan and I still have one 2nd generation Legend and a 2000 NSX-T in my garage alongside an MDX. I'm not trying to put down the brand at all. I'm just stating the facts.

Any car comparison (except for the idiots at TFL or the goofballs at TopGear who both seem to be more about entertainment value than actual comparisons) will either select cars based on similar size category or based on price. They wouldn't compare a Civic to a Camry much as they wouldn't compare an FR-S to Corvette. As my earlier posts have outlined the TLX has less in common with the 2015 Genesis than the Genesis and the RLX.

That car was outdated from beginning as it was launched with 5speed auto and 17 inch rims.
The RL SH-AWD Tech actually had some pretty advanced driver assistance features for its time including collision mitigation braking and SH-AWD, it was also pretty advanced in 2005 with its bluetooth and Sirius/XM Nav Traffic integration. It never caught on much like the RLX has been a slow mover because it doesn't have the size or the V8 drivetrain to compete with the flagships from other brands including Lexus, Merc, BMW, Audi, Jag, Cadillac, and yes even Hyundai. These are things that clearly matter for a large luxury sedan buyer and not efficiency or compactness of size as you suggest otherwise the RLX should be killing the Germans and Lexus..

Last edited by motegi; 07-05-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:21 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts

Please take your debates to the Automotive thread (sad weird one) and keep this one clean... mostly for pics!!!!
Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by MuGen7Modulo:
jwong77 (07-05-2014), randomRon82 (07-05-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
Please take your debates to the Automotive thread (sad weird one) and keep this one clean... mostly for pics!!!!
Thanks
lmao
Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Thanks
LOL, to you it may be a debate, but to SSFTSX it's just casual conversation.
neuronbob (07-05-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
LOL, to you it may be a debate, but to SSFTSX it's just casual conversation.
I'm starting to see that myself!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

Just because the majority are under 190 inches doesn't mean that there is not a market for larger vehicles. Luxury cars will never be in the majority category just by nature of what they are.
sport sedans will be not in majority but it does not make them of lesser class.

Still the same applies regardless. A 3 series is one of BMWs entry level offerings in terms of size and price compared to the 5 series if you option them out similarly. Just like a RDX is the entry level Acura SUV compared to the MDX.
There will not be practical difference in price once you start adding SH-AWD, DI engine, larger rims/tires, upscale interior, thicker windows to RDX. the rims on RDX looks way cheaper quality.
your still not getting the point for same tech level it is hard to produce refinement in smaller car so more R&D is needed than big land barge.
TLX does not lack any of the features of $57k MDX. This is called superior value.

So one single feature makes a car more "premium" than another? So the SH-AWD on the TLX makes it automatically a more premium car than say my Audi A8L that only has Quattro? Of course this is not the case at all.
does Audi A8 comes with double glazed windows. I am pretty sure there is things inside like TFSI engine that make it higher performance car.

Pretty much all of the reviews written about the second generation Genesis so far. But since you asked... all have soft touch interior materials w/ leather seating as standard, standard leather steering wheel and shift knob, NVH improvements, handling improvements courtesy of the engineers at Lotus, active safety features (AEB, LDW, LKAS, BSD, SCC, F/R parking assist radar w/ rear cross traffic monitor, haptic steering wheel), standard GPS navigation w/ 8 inch display and optional 9 inch HD display, power adjustable steering column, power folding side mirrors, EL gauge cluster with 4 or 7 inch integrated LCD center display, power rear sunshade and manual rear passenger door sunshades, dual zone climate control with available C02 sensor, heated and optionally ventilated seats, illuminated door sill plates and side mirror mounted puddle lights, BlueLink Gen 2 telematics w/ smartphone integration/remote lock/start, Siri eyes free, 12 way adjustable power seats with available power drivers lower seat extender and lower seat cushion side bolsters, Lexicon 14/17 speaker audio system, standard 18 inch alloy wheels, available panoramic sunroof, proximity key with pushbutton start and proximity automatic trunk release, and yes even the price.

I'm ashamed to say that my wife's 2015 Genesis Tech even compares favorably in terms of features to the Audi A8L Premium that I traded my RL in for. The price difference between these two cars is over double...
You can put all the features inside the Genesis but it cannot overcome its performance/handling deficiency and lack of long term quality.
Audi A8 is global car so it takes much longer R&D to put into production. so most of tech is already older.

Trust me I know. I have been a continuous Acura owner for over 25 years. I started with a 1989 Legend LS sedan and I still have one 2nd generation Legend and a 2000 NSX-T in my garage alongside an MDX. I'm not trying to put down the brand at all. I'm just stating the facts.
your lacking objective facts. there is $1500 Dakota leather option on BMWs but they also M Sport package option that is much higher value. Leather alone does not make a car premium or upscale than the other.
Any car comparison (except for the idiots at TFL or the goofballs at TopGear who both seem to be more about entertainment value than actual comparisons) will either select cars based on similar size category or based on price. They wouldn't compare a Civic to a Camry much as they wouldn't compare an FR-S to Corvette. As my earlier posts have outlined the TLX has less in common with the 2015 Genesis than the Genesis and the RLX.
what has RLX in common with Genesis. absolutely nothing. one is FWD and another RWD. one is 8speed another is 6speed Auto. With TLX you get upgrade to 8/9speed auto. It is technologically competitor of Genesis.

The RL SH-AWD Tech actually had some pretty advanced driver assistance features for its time including collision mitigation braking and SH-AWD, it was also pretty advanced in 2005 with its bluetooth and Sirius/XM Nav Traffic integration. It never caught on much like the RLX has been a slow mover because it doesn't have the size or the V8 drivetrain to compete with the flagships from other brands including Lexus, Merc, BMW, Audi, Jag, Cadillac, and yes even Hyundai. These are things that clearly matter for a large luxury sedan buyer and not efficiency or compactness of size as you suggest otherwise the RLX should be killing the Germans and Lexus..
Those things were present in 4cylinder Accord Euro. it is just Honda does not introduce them for Acura.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Safety Car

Car has enormous rear space considering the driver seat. TSX is much cramped.

Healingduck (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Instructor

sport sedans will be not in majority but it does not make them of lesser class.
Again you are misunderstanding my point. Here are some more numbers for you...

EPA Passenger Car Size Classification combined passenger and cargo volume index in cubic feet
  • Minicompact car < 85
  • Subcompact car 85–99.9
  • Compact car 100–109.9
  • Midsize car 110–119.9
  • Large car ≥ 120

Now that we have some tech specs for the 2015 TLX, at 106.5/107.6 cu ft EPA total interior volume we can see that it falls below the 110 cu ft lower cutoff of the EPA "Midsize car" classification. So technically the TLX is a "Compact car".

To say that there is a valid comparison to be made between a Compact car and a Large car is like comparing a 3 series to a 7 series. Or a Chevy Cruze to an Impala. A chihuahua to a doberman. Apples to oranges my friend. No other way to look at it.

There will not be practical difference in price once you start adding SH-AWD, DI engine, larger rims/tires, upscale interior, thicker windows to RDX. the rims on RDX looks way cheaper quality.
your still not getting the point for same tech level it is hard to produce refinement in smaller car so more R&D is needed than big land barge.
TLX does not lack any of the features of $57k MDX. This is called superior value.
So by this reasoning all those silly MDX buyers should be buying the TLX instead. Interesting...

You can put all the features inside the Genesis but it cannot overcome its performance/handling deficiency and lack of long term quality.
Dodging yet again with subjective comments I see. You asked what made the Genesis a "Luxury" car. I answered with a list of actual features. They all meet or surpass those available on the TLX and the RLX.

Handling/suspension has been greatly improved over the 1st generation by almost all reviewers impressions.

IIHS crash testing has awarded the 2015 Genesis its highest rating of "Top Safety Pick +" as well as a "Superior" Front Crash prevention rating for its active safety features in the... drumroll please... "Large Luxury" category. Of course the TL also got a "Top Safety Pick +" rating by the IIHS but no Front Crash prevention rating due to lack of active driver safety features in the outgoing sedan. But the TL is listed in the "Near Luxury Midsize" section. Keep in mind that the TLX is no longer midsize.

While there is no reliability data available for the 2015 Genesis the outgoing 1st generation is now ranked #5 in the US News and World Report ranking of Large Luxury Sedans. It sits just below the Lexus GS and Mercedes E class and above the Acura RLX, Infinity Q70, BMW 5-series, and Audi A6. Just as with the IIHS, according to USN&WR the TL is placed into an entirely different category. This time the TL is listed in the "Upscale Midsize" category where it is ranked #4.

Audi A8 is global car so it takes much longer R&D to put into production. so most of tech is already older.
Admittedly the last major redesign for the A8 was in 2011 but with only a minor exterior refresh this year it is still pretty much the same car underneath and inside. They still sell 500-600 units in the US every month. I think it will see a complete redesign around 2018-19. However, other than 4G wireless connectivity in the new A3, the A8 still has all of the luxury features plus more than its smaller sedan siblings. This is how most brands flagships are released. The flagship gets all of the features first and then they gradually trickle down into the rest of the lineup until the next major refresh of the flagship when it jumps ahead again. Same can be said of the RLX and the MDX as far as Acura is concerned.

your lacking objective facts.
I'm not sure I understand, all of my post have been filled with objective facts. (Note: I think you meant to say "you're" ). On the contrary your posts are the ones that are filled with subjective opinions and conjecture rather than facts.

there is $1500 Dakota leather option on BMWs but they also M Sport package option that is much higher value. Leather alone does not make a car premium or upscale than the other.
Where are you going with this? Sure you can get leather on a Honda Civic and it is by no means a luxury car. Are you trying to rationalize the use of imitation leather interior on the base TLX and RLX? Aside from specific applications such as racing seats that use Alcantara for grip I would say that real leather is always better than imitation. Otherwise why would they switch to REAL leather for the upper trim levels for the TLX and RLX? The same goes for home furnishings, fine shoes, clothing, etc.

what has RLX in common with Genesis. absolutely nothing. one is FWD and another RWD. one is 8speed another is 6speed Auto. With TLX you get upgrade to 8/9speed auto.
Again I am stating this based on vehicle size, engine displacement, and feature sets. You seem to be stuck only on features and completely disregard vehicle size as having any relevance which may be true in your world but not in the majority of buyers minds. In this situation even the price and engine options put the Genesis in a different category than the TLX. I just don't see why you are so insistent otherwise. Its like saying that the TLX should be considered as the value option over the Lexus LS or Mercedes S Class.

As I mentioned earlier, US News and World Report, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, and the EPA would seem to think otherwise as the RLX and Genesis sit together in the "Large Luxury" sedan category. The TL is ranked separately in the "Near Luxury" or "Upscale Midsize" lists. Do you really think that the smaller 2015 TLX will miraculously be thrust into the "Large Luxury" rankings?

So now that I've presented the objective facts I'll give you some of my subjective opinion. Perhaps Acura really needed to shrink the TLX to below the midsize category so that it wouldn't continue to impede the sales of it's larger sibling, the RLX. Especially now that the TLX Advance gets the latest active safety features formerly limited to the RLX and MDX.

Since the TLX is now a "Compact Car", if an Acura customer wants a larger car they will need to move up to the RLX. This reasoning would make some sense from a marketing standpoint.

I think the TLX is a very promising car for both ILX and TSX owners looking to upgrade at a very reasonable cost. On the other hand I'm not sure that TL owners will necessarily feel that the 5 cubic foot smaller interior space for the roughly the same price is a good deal unless they really value features over size.

Last edited by motegi; 07-06-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:54 AM
Safety Car

Again you are misunderstanding my point. Here are some more numbers for you...

EPA Passenger Car Size Classification combined passenger and cargo volume index in cubic feet
  • Minicompact car < 85
  • Subcompact car 85–99.9
  • Compact car 100–109.9
  • Midsize car 110–119.9
  • Large car ≥ 120

Now that we have some tech specs for the 2015 TLX, at 106.5/107.6 cu ft EPA total interior volume we can see that it falls below the 110 cu ft lower cutoff of the EPA "Midsize car" classification. So technically the TLX is a "Compact car".
we don't have specification for TLX. Internet is like sewer don't believe everything written. there could be typos.
show me official website. from the pictures it looks to have more interior volume than TSX. It is squarely Mid Size vehicle.
http://www.hondanews.com/channels/ac...onal-auto-show
Design and Packaging
For sports-sedan dynamic capabilities the 2015 TLX is 3.8-inches shorter in overall length than the 2014 TL while maintaining the same wheelbase and tandem (front-to-rear) passenger-seating distance

To say that there is a valid comparison to be made between a Compact car and a Large car is like comparing a 3 series to a 7 series. Or a Chevy Cruze to an Impala. A chihuahua to a doberman. Apples to oranges my friend. No other way to look at it.
both TLX and Lexus GS F sport are mid size cars. and practically same exterior dimensions.

So by this reasoning all those silly MDX buyers should be buying the TLX instead. Interesting...
I am pointing out that TLX now offers all the features of $57k vehicle with 9speed transmission over the top of it.

Dodging yet again with subjective comments I see. You asked what made the Genesis a "Luxury" car. I answered with a list of actual features. They all meet or surpass those available on the TLX and the RLX.
Your Gensis is slower than Accord.
Handling/suspension has been greatly improved over the 1st generation by almost all reviewers impressions.

IIHS crash testing has awarded the 2015 Genesis its highest rating of "Top Safety Pick +" as well as a "Superior" Front Crash prevention rating for its active safety features in the... drumroll please... "Large Luxury" category. Of course the TL also got a "Top Safety Pick +" rating by the IIHS but no Front Crash prevention rating due to lack of active driver safety features in the outgoing sedan. But the TL is listed in the "Near Luxury Midsize" section. Keep in mind that the TLX is no longer midsize.
TLX is mid size. your going to lose that bet.
While there is no reliability data available for the 2015 Genesis the outgoing 1st generation is now ranked #5 in the US News and World Report ranking of Large Luxury Sedans. It sits just below the Lexus GS and Mercedes E class and above the Acura RLX, Infinity Q70, BMW 5-series, and Audi A6. Just as with the IIHS, according to USN&WR the TL is placed into an entirely different category. This time the TL is listed in the "Upscale Midsize" category where it is ranked #4.
reliability comes after 5 years.

Admittedly the last major redesign for the A8 was in 2011 but with only a minor exterior refresh this year it is still pretty much the same car underneath and inside. They still sell 500-600 units in the US every month. I think it will see a complete redesign around 2018-19. However, other than 4G wireless connectivity in the new A3, the A8 still has all of the luxury features plus more than its smaller sedan siblings. This is how most brands flagships are released. The flagship gets all of the features first and then they gradually trickle down into the rest of the lineup until the next major refresh of the flagship when it jumps ahead again. Same can be said of the RLX and the MDX as far as Acura is concerned.
TLX did not wait for RLX to get 9seepd Auto or SH-AWD. it went ahead of it. I doubt RLX navigation had that 3D view feature or that super quiet body design from ground up. RLX is generation older than TLX in less than two years.

I'm not sure I understand, all of my post have been filled with objective facts. (Note: I think you meant to say "you're" ). On the contrary your posts are the ones that are filled with subjective opinions and conjecture rather than facts.
you don't have single fact. just wait for bald tires considering the wait increase. It happen to BMW 5 series when it become overweight.

Where are you going with this? Sure you can get leather on a Honda Civic and it is by no means a luxury car. Are you trying to rationalize the use of imitation leather interior on the base TLX and RLX? Aside from specific applications such as racing seats that use Alcantara for grip I would say that real leather is always better than imitation. Otherwise why would they switch to REAL leather for the upper trim levels for the TLX and RLX? The same goes for home furnishings, fine shoes, clothing, etc.
TLX will get Milano leather.

Again I am stating this based on vehicle size, engine displacement, and feature sets. You seem to be stuck only on features and completely disregard vehicle size as having any relevance which may be true in your world but not in the majority of buyers minds. In this situation even the price and engine options put the Genesis in a different category than the TLX. I just don't see why you are so insistent otherwise. Its like saying that the TLX should be considered as the value option over the Lexus LS or Mercedes S Class.
what is Lexus GS-F sport size?. is it large?
As I mentioned earlier, US News and World Report, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, and the EPA would seem to think otherwise as the RLX and Genesis sit together in the "Large Luxury" sedan category. The TL is ranked separately in the "Near Luxury" or "Upscale Midsize" lists. Do you really think that the smaller 2015 TLX will miraculously be thrust into the "Large Luxury" rankings?
first Genesis is not luxury and large. Large luxury is only S class. that sells all the rest segment combined. the rest are near luxury in large class. Luxury in mid size is entirely different than luxury in large class. Gensis is vastly inferior to S class. so it is neither here nor there.

So now that I've presented the objective facts I'll give you some of my subjective opinion. Perhaps Acura really needed to shrink the TLX to below the midsize category so that it wouldn't continue to impede the sales of it's larger sibling, the RLX. Especially now that the TLX Advance gets the latest active safety features formerly limited to the RLX and MDX.
It is not shrinked at all. You are so misinformed and continuously posting it.
Since the TLX is now a "Compact Car", if an Acura customer wants a larger car they will need to move up to the RLX. This reasoning would make some sense from a marketing standpoint.
again same compact car nonsense.
I think the TLX is a very promising car for both ILX and TSX owners looking to upgrade at a very reasonable cost. On the other hand I'm not sure that TL owners will necessarily feel that the 5 cubic foot smaller interior space for the roughly the same price is a good deal unless they really value features over size.
5 cubic feet smaller?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:35 AM
Instructor

Clearly the difference between objective and subjective is foreign to you despite your assertions that my points are not objective. Each one of my points has been backed up with numbers/facts.

Actually the RL had torque vectoring SH-AWD in 2005 as standard. Even the outgoing TL had SH-AWD. The RLX got PAWS and jewel eye LEDs first and is supposed to get the next generation SH-AWD hybrid power train which is completely different from the TLX.

As far as your opinion as to what should and shouldn't be a large luxury car you are implying that the IIHS, the EPA, and US News and World Report are all mistaken? Everyone including JD Power and Consumer Reports use the EPA total volume category and price to divide their lists. I don't know how much clearer it needs to be for you.

By the way I never said the Genesis was equivalent to an S-class. The S-class is categorized as "Super Luxury over $60k" by USN&WR along with the 7-series, A7/A8, Tesla Model S, and Porsche Panamera. They are in a different category of their own. Feel free to look at these rankings yourself. The titles for the lists were assigned by the organizations themselves.

I will anxiously await your posting of any data and or measurements to support your claims. Until that time, I see no reason to make any further reply to your continued opinion based responses.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I doubt RLX navigation had that 3D view feature or that super quiet body design from ground up. RLX is generation older than TLX in less than two years.
Wrong. the RLX and MDX were both the first cars to introduce the new re-designed Acura NAV system with AcuraLink. And the 3D view feature (amongst tons of other features) was there from the ground-up.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Quite sharp.

by far the sexiest shot yet. love the stance of the car, and this one clearly shows how it's taken many of it's design cues from the RLX, just smaller, tighter, and more aggressive.

love it.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,595 Likes on 959 Posts
Quite sharp.

Beautiful!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 AM
David_Dude

Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Concur.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

If you are near the Manhattan Beach gran prix cycle race... apparently there are some tlx's on display

Name:  41.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  37.9 KB
Name:  42.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  43.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  145.5 KB
ostrich (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 04:17 PM
David_Dude

Freaking
Old 07-06-2014, 04:18 PM
David_Dude

BTW quick question: Has anyone else noticed how the opinions swayed over to the positive side once Acura released the pricing of the TLX recently? It may just be me, but it's something i've noticed, especially the last few pages of this thread. The more high-quality shots the more everyone likes the car.
The following 4 users liked this post by Acura_Dude:
a35tl (07-06-2014), Gen4MDX (07-06-2014), Rocket_man (07-06-2014), rockyfeller (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
BTW quick question: Has anyone else noticed how the opinions swayed over to the positive side once Acura released the pricing of the TLX recently? It may just be me, but it's something i've noticed, especially the last few pages of this thread. The more high-quality shots the more everyone likes the car.
eh, sorta...sorta not. If you look at the youtube comments from those videos all you see is "beak, bland, no exhaust tips, boring" etc. however yes, some people are a bit more satisfied because of the very competitive pricing... the thought probably is, if it were more expensive then it definitely wouldn't be worth it. Also keep in mind that the "high quality" photos and videos purposely have perfect lighting and angles to accentuate the more attractive aspects that you really won't be able to notice in real life lighting.

Quick Reply: TLX in the wild... and new pics