TLX in the wild... and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I would. It put the Sonota up against the TLX as the Hyundai materials are not on par with the TLX. I have been in then15 Genesis now twice and think my 4G AWD materials were a tad better than the new Genesis and seeing how the TLX materials are supposed to be a bit better I suspect the Acura materials are much better.
Wat I meant to say:

I would NOT put the Sonota up against the TLX as the Hyundai materials are not on par with the TLX. I have been in the 15 Genesis now twice and think my 4G AWD materials were a tad better than the new Genesis and seeing how the TLX materials are supposed to be a bit better I suspect the Acura materials are much better. I do not see how a Sonota can compete with a TLX on materials.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Wat I meant to say:

I would NOT put the Sonota up against the TLX as the Hyundai materials are not on par with the TLX. I have been in the 15 Genesis now twice and think my 4G AWD materials were a tad better than the new Genesis and seeing how the TLX materials are supposed to be a bit better I suspect the Acura materials are much better. I do not see how a Sonota can compete with a TLX on materials.
Have to agree with you there. Having spent time in both the Sonata and the TLX at the NYIAS, the Sonata's materials continue to not impress me.

That said, I do rather like and prefer the more subdued and natural finish wood grain/texture that Hyundai is using in the 2015 Genesis over the glossed to death stuff that most every other manufacturer, including Acura, is using today.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
That's the thing when an auto maker tries to jazz up a ho-hum boring design with things like underbody kits and such. The tacked on plastic pieces end up looking like . . . .tacked on plastic pieces. Such is the case with a white TL California edition I see every day parked where I work. The more time passes the lousier the tacked on plastic pieces look.
Agreed. But the 3rd Gen TL and the 2nd RL kits were much better suited and fitted than the recent offerings.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Why? Why get the TLX? It disappoints you. I just wanna understand your rationale of settling.
I hear ya....I am not a huge fan of the TLX but I want to see it in person, MAYBE it will inspire me. I like the ILX (Dynamic), its a fun little car and in Canada, it comes with the ELS stereo, Nav etc. so that is my backup.

Its hard to beat the price value of the Acura but most importantly, the AMAZING relationship I have with my dealership. I can't justify paying 300-400$ for just the Audi/BMW name....

I want to re-iterate that the TLX is not what I thought it could have been, but its still a decent looking vehicle, at least, I think it will.

Last edited by weather; 06-23-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
I know silvertl6 posted the front already. I found the rear on acuraconnected and man that looks awful and unfinished. Thoughts?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by mugen_kid
I know silvertl6 posted the front already. I found the rear on acuraconnected and man that looks awful and unfinished. Thoughts?
Actually, Acurafiend posted both a few pages ago

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=640

Like I've been saying, both the front and back look bolted on - kind of like an afterthought.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 465 Likes on 198 Posts
I hate how it covers half the side of the front bumper and sticks out like it did on the 4G. It's hideous and doesn't flow with the car one bit. Like on the 06-08 TSX aero kits, it covered half the front bumper and just leaves a giant ridge. Hate that.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Actually, Acurafiend posted both a few pages ago

Like I've been saying, both the front and back look bolted on - kind of like an afterthought.
My bad, I don't know how I missed that

Originally Posted by Timmy18
I hate how it covers half the side of the front bumper and sticks out like it did on the 4G. It's hideous and doesn't flow with the car one bit. Like on the 06-08 TSX aero kits, it covered half the front bumper and just leaves a giant ridge. Hate that.
I agree, I use to be excited about seeing what they came up with their new models as far as factory kits. I guess since they have no need to show exhaust they are able to go half ass on the rear
Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Wat I meant to say:

I beg to differ. As a long time Acura owner (3 Legends, 2 MDX, 1 NSX-T, and an RL SH-AWD) and having recently purchased a 2015 Genesis 3.8 Tech for the wife I find the interior quality of the new 2nd generation Genesis to be very much on par with Acura and vastly improved over the 1st generation Genesis in both materials and design. Truthfully, the 1st generation Genesis never really impressed me dynamically and I found the interior design and materials to be lacking. But the 2nd generation is an entirely different story and my wife selected it as her next car replacing her Infiniti G-sedan after driving a wide variety of other cars including the Acura TSX and TL.

In addition to the purchase of my wife's 2015 Genesis, I traded in my RL SH-AWD for a Audi A8L V8 Premium in the same week. I honestly think that the Genesis interior quality and amenities compare favorably even to Audi's flagship sedan.

In my opinion the 2015 Genesis 3.8 RWD is really a competitor to the RLX PAWS rather than the TLX. Just take a look at the vehicle dimensions and you will see how close that they are:

2014 RLX PAWS:
MSRP: $50,950 base w/ navi ($60,450 with driver assistance features, CMBS, ACC, LKAS, BSI)
engine: 3.5 liter V6, 310 hp/272 ft-lb
transmission: 6-spd automatic
fuel economy: 20/31 mpg
weight: 3933 lbs
length: 196.1 inches
wheelbase: 112.2 inches
width: 74.4 inches

2015 Genesis 3.8 RWD
MSRP: $38,000 base w/ navi ($45,500 with driver assistance features, auto braking, LKAS, ACC, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert)
engine: 3.8 liter V6, 311 hp/293 ft-lb
transmission: 8-spd automatic
fuel economy: 18/29 mpg
weight: 4138 lbs
length: 196.5 inches
wheelbase: 118.5 inches
width: 74.4 inches

The Genesis Tech package active driver assistance safety features are impressive and Hyundai's newest generation Blue Link telematics are among the best that I've seen. To get an RLX even close to the same level you need to go all the way up to the Advance level making the price differential much more extreme.

Of course a huge difference between them is the dealer service amenities with most Hyundai Dealer Service Centers being much more down market. Also the resale value is traditionally better with Acura... although my RL SH-AWD really didn't hold it's value well at all.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Had a 1st gen Genesis. Had no complaints. Car never needed servicing so dealership wasn't an issue. Besides so what? Hyundai offers free wifi and coffee. You just sit in less phony opulence. Ride/handling sucked. By all accounts your Genesis is a big upgrade BUT got a loaded 2012 4.6 for under 40k. A truly great value.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Snap that kit does not look good, especially the front. I like the car more and more each time I see it, but I still wish they wouuld have kept the concept side mirrors.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Nabooly
Snap that kit does not look good, especially the front. I like the car more and more each time I see it, but I still wish they wouuld have kept the concept side mirrors.
The A-spec lip kit for the 3G was not very well received when it was first debuted either!.

but like what happened with the 3G, i'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of these on the forums soon enough.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Goosew
The A-spec lip kit for the 3G was not very well received when it was first debuted either!.

but like what happened with the 3G, i'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of these on the forums soon enough.
exactly, even the 4g has grown on me since it's debut.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
New commercials for Comedians in Cars getting Coffee....

http://youtu.be/31diiH8GWcQ

http://youtu.be/TGovgJsfnlo

Are we sure those are only accessory wheels? (I saw others mention that they were) They're starting to show up everywhere. Acura previously had three wheel types for base, sh-awd and advance trims so I'm thinking those are actually just a third wheel type. Thoughts?

Last edited by randomRon82; 06-24-2014 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by randomRon82:
MuGen7Modulo (06-24-2014), ostrich (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82

Are we sure those are only accessory wheels? (I saw others mention that they were) They're starting to show up everywhere. Acura previously had three wheel types for base, sh-awd and advance trims so I'm thinking those are actually just a third wheel type. Thoughts?
Car looks great in white and silver. Those 19inch rims might be for Sh-Awd with advance trims.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Beak and Wheels are only turn offs for me, both tolerable, but soem new wheels and Ronjon magic and the car has potential.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Beak and Wheels are only turn offs for me, both tolerable, but soem new wheels and Ronjon magic and the car has potential.
With the amount of money you'd be spending to make it look better (rims, grille, body kits) so on and so forth... you might as well just get one of the other brands that already have those better looking features. It's just not worth it imo.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

With the amount of money you'd be spending to make it look better (rims, grille, body kits) so on and so forth... you might as well just get one of the other brands that already have those better looking features. It's just not worth it imo.
True, but even my A6 I opted for nicer wheels. I hope Hyundai does an R-Spec on the Genesis, the stock wheels on their car suck too. But really wheels and tires on my A6 ran me $2500 and I got Michelin AS/3 tires so really I don;t mind spending that much on a car if it makes it that much nicer.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

True, but even my A6 I opted for nicer wheels. I hope Hyundai does an R-Spec on the Genesis, the stock wheels on their car suck too. But really wheels and tires on my A6 ran me $2500 and I got Michelin AS/3 tires so really I don;t mind spending that much on a car if it makes it that much nicer.
Let me put it this way... I'm just personally trying to justify spending the extra money on an Audi/MB or BMW.... lol.... so I don't feel bad about it when the time comes.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
That said, I do rather like and prefer the more subdued and natural finish wood grain/texture that Hyundai is using in the 2015 Genesis over the glossed to death stuff that most every other manufacturer, including Acura, is using today.

Hi gloss wood/fake wood = for old farts.

Tasteful use of real carbon fibre, real brushed aluminum = new classy.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:48 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Memo to Acura: drop the dual screen crap.

Make NAV screen bigger, clearer, richly featured.

Move HVAC controls back to physical buttons, pronto.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I like the dual screen setup.

Originally Posted by Goosew

Originally Posted by skd2k1
exactly, even the 4g has grown on me since it's debut.
ReLaX (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Let me put it this way... I'm just personally trying to justify spending the extra money on an Audi/MB or BMW.... lol.... so I don't feel bad about it when the time comes.
Gotcha. I will tell you having driven numerous Acura and Infiniti products and now owning an A6 I suspect will be back with Asian makes because while I love the Audi I struggle to justify the price. I will say if you flip cars before the warranty expires then go for it, but everything on German cars is more expensive, from oil change to insurance to body work, etc. I will be out of the A6 before the warranty is up because I dread the thought of an out of warranty repair. I have 8K miles and the car has been rock solid.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

I do not agree, they need to improve the execution. I think the Q50 does a decent job of dual screens. Or they can go the Audi route, put a large info display in the guage cluster. Acura's issue is they duplicate functions across the screens and have different conflicting displays and input ways.
randomRon82 (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

The dual screens would be fine if they were executed better and most importantly if Hondas didn't also have them!!! That's bs to me.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

People complain that Acura and Honda have similar head units, take a look at Infiniti and Nissan, there was much cross breeding there as well with head units.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by yooin14
Car looks great in white and silver. Those 19inch rims might be for Sh-Awd with advance trims.

I agree with you. The TLXs in the video are among the nicest looking ones I've seen. Don't love the wheels but they're the best I've seen yet on the car. Also, the silver and white look really good. I, for one, like the front end.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts

I just don't understand why Acura thinks that having funny comedians in their commercials would help them sell their cars. Having seen these clips, I still don't know why I should buy a TLX....
Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
For anyone that said they wanted the bodykit to look like the prototype, well hey, that front end is not that far off. I think that angle makes it look bad but it would probably look better if you saw it in person with a drop. The rear hardly looks like anything, but of course that is expected considering there are no exhaust tips.

Soooo what should happen now is that RJ will be smart enough to see the opportunity to make SURE that his bodykit will have quad exhaust cutouts. This way he can sell full bodykits as well as plenty of rear retrofits for the people that opt for the Acura front bodykit. (very similar to the way many of us base 3GTL guys have bought the Type-S A-Spec rear lip to fit quads.)

Then ATLP/RV6 will inevitably jump on board with a catback. But of course these companies will only jump onboard once they see demand.

I am not crazy about this car but I can bet you the first person that mods the car this way with 19" wheels, drop and tint will have us all gawking.

Again I am waiting to hear word about that 300hp+ engine and manual. It might make all the work worth it.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
I like the dual screen setup.

Ditto!
Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by yooin14
I'm pretty certain those wheels are accessory wheels. They were also on the car from the NY show. Wheels are about the only cosmetic thing they could have changed on the car during the delay. I'm hoping the lack of sighting of production wheels means they are going to have better wheels at launch. ok... I can hope can't I? The base I4 wheels are I don't mind the wheels on the V6.

My local BMW dealers have a ton of CPO loaner cars. Yes they are loners but the CPO warranty is pretty good and the cars are well maintained. They sell them off as low as 6,000 miles. There may be some good buys on the CPO lot. They may also qualify for new car financing.

Originally Posted by ostrich
I just don't understand why Acura thinks that having funny comedians in their commercials would help them sell their cars. Having seen these clips, I still don't know why I should buy a TLX....
I think these are only for internet consumption. I don't expect to see these on TV.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:03 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And????? People have been getting similar discounts on the RLX

I Just typed in caddy ats year to date sales and many things came up showing that.
I agree.

Caddy's original plan for the ATS was for it to take the place of the 2008-2013 CTS so owners of that CTS could move to the ATS as an alternative, as Caddy moved the 2014 CTS upmarket. Problem is, while the ATS is nice it's too small for most 2nd Gen CTS owners to move over to.

So now Cadillac is feeling the effects of pricing themselves out of the market with the 2014. IMO, similar to what Acura has experienced with the RLX before they started to discount it.

Cadillac took a sales success in the 2008-2013 2nd Gen CTS and moved their pricing too far up market with the 2014 which pissed off the CTS loyalists who were looking to trade up, not down (in their opinions) to a smaller ATS.

And the new buyer that Cadillac was/is trying to capture are pricing out a CTS and then realizing that for the same money, or pretty close to it their going to see what Audi, BMW or MB has to offer. And once they do that more times than not they don’t go back.

Someone I know had a relatively loaded 2011 CTS and for him to replace it off lease with a 2014 it would have cost him $15,000 more for a comparable car. He expected to of course pay more for a newer model, but not $15K. He bought a Benz.

Now that they have offered some incentives like a $3,500 owner loyalty rebate and the leases are getting a little better surprise, surprise they’re selling a little better.

Last edited by JT4; 06-25-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
And remember--this was a comedian whose greatest success was having a show about. . . nothing. Extrapolate that thought.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree.

Caddy's original plan for the ATS was for it to take the place of the 2008-2013 CTS so owners of that CTS could move to the ATS as an alternative, as Caddy moved the 2014 CTS upmarket. Problem is, while the ATS is nice it's too small for most 2nd Gen CTS owners to move over to.

So now Cadillac is feeling the effects of pricing themselves out of the market with the 2014. IMO, similar to what Acura has experienced with the RLX before they started to discount it.

Cadillac took a sales success in the 2008-2013 2nd Gen CTS and moved their pricing too far up market with the 2014 which pissed off the CTS loyalists who were looking to trade up, not down (in their opinions) to a smaller ATS.

And the new buyer that Cadillac was/is trying to capture are pricing out a CTS and then realizing that for the same money, or pretty close to it their going to see what Audi, BMW or MB has to offer. And once they do that more times than not they don’t go back.

Someone I know had a relatively loaded 2011 CTS and for him to replace it off lease with a 2014 it would have cost him $15,000 more for a comparable car. He expected to of course pay more for a newer model, but not $15K. He bought a Benz.

Now that they have offered some incentives like a $3,500 owner loyalty rebate and the leases are getting a little better surprise, surprise they’re selling a little better.

This is the issue I think all the makers face. AS they move up scale their prices get closer to the Germans and with people blinded by badge envy the German win in this scenario most of the time. I liked my M37S, if the 15 Q70 had been out last year I probably would have done another Infiniti, but when I optioned up a 14 Q70 loaded comparable to my A6 there was less than a $2k MSRP difference, and with the A6 I get Quattro. True the Infiniti would have had probably another $3K in discounts I would have gotten over the A6 making the OTD price difference probably closer to $4K-$5K, but when it gets that close it becomes a harder decision. I like the new CTS, but again optioned the way I want it is right up there or more than my A6!! WTF!! I like what GM is doing, but you don;t justify those prices points without earning them and Lexus is probably the only Asian badge that can compete close with the Germans and command the price, but that would be more with the LS, the GS still gets some discounts.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
Acura_Dude (06-26-2014), JT4 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 02:53 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
This is the issue I think all the makers face. AS they move up scale their prices get closer to the Germans and with people blinded by badge envy the German win in this scenario most of the time. I liked my M37S, if the 15 Q70 had been out last year I probably would have done another Infiniti, but when I optioned up a 14 Q70 loaded comparable to my A6 there was less than a $2k MSRP difference, and with the A6 I get Quattro. True the Infiniti would have had probably another $3K in discounts I would have gotten over the A6 making the OTD price difference probably closer to $4K-$5K, but when it gets that close it becomes a harder decision. I like the new CTS, but again optioned the way I want it is right up there or more than my A6!! WTF!! I like what GM is doing, but you don;t justify those prices points without earning them and Lexus is probably the only Asian badge that can compete close with the Germans and command the price, but that would be more with the LS, the GS still gets some discounts.

I agree with everything you said…

And if you take the part of your quote that I put in boldface, and replace “GM” with “Acura” this can apply to the RLX Sport Hybrid.

I have said it before, I like the RLX but if Acura plans on selling the RLX Hybrid close to $70K +/- (regardless of how good it may be) it’s going to be a disaster.

Same with the TLX, a loaded TLX SH in the $50K - $53K range IMO is going to be a tough sell.. But then again I'm sure the 4 cylinder base or Tech TLX is going to be the bread and butter of the line anyway..
Acura_Dude (06-26-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree with everything you said…

And if you take the part of your quote that I put in boldface, and replace “GM” with “Acura” this can apply to the RLX Sport Hybrid.

I have said it before, I like the RLX but if Acura plans on selling the RLX Hybrid close to $70K +/- (regardless of how good it may be) it’s going to be a disaster.

Same with the TLX, a loaded TLX SH in the $50K - $53K range IMO is going to be a tough sell.. But then again I'm sure the 4 cylinder base or Tech TLX is going to be the bread and butter of the line anyway..
If you look at Infinit I bet few people get the $52K loaded Q50, but they move a tone of the base or base + premium cars. I suspect as you mentioned Acura will be the same, the I4 and base V6 will move like crazy and the Advance AWD will be limited volume.
Acura_Dude (06-26-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ IMO, it's the same at all pricing stops along the automotive 'pecking order'.
Acura_Dude (06-26-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
If I end up getting a TLX I'll gladly eat parmesan crusted crow.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
The dual screens would be fine if they were executed better and most importantly if Hondas didn't also have them!!! That's bs to me.
When does Android Auto come to Acura? Or will it be available on Honda first?

http://www.android.com/auto/
Old 06-26-2014, 04:13 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Hope these aren't a repost

The following 2 users liked this post by silverTL6:
Acura_Dude (06-26-2014), Gen4MDX (06-26-2014)

Quick Reply: TLX in the wild... and new pics