Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I guess you can't tell with the paint, I was wondering how the back side looked, if there was any discoloration. The lockup clutch is attached to the inside of the converter on the flat back plate. Sometimes you can see evidence of heat in that area when they install a new clutch lining and I've had mine burn the bright purple paint black in a perfect circle where the clutch is when it was slipping.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:43 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
^Thats good to hear. After reading horror stories of shops just painting converters and passing them off as modified I got worried.

I was told it would be rebalanced when I made the order. Went with a 3000 stall and they asked lots of questions about the cars mod. So they knew it was for a turbo car. The fluid inside is bright red so thats a good sign

The back side is painted black as well so I cant see and discoloration.

Not much to see here. Some of those marks are scuffs and a little bit of the paper that was in the box. Guess they laid it on the paper when it was still drying

Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I agree with IHC. Looking Goooooood !
Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what kind of problems didja have with ur CM clutch?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by seroshka1
what kind of problems didja have with ur CM clutch?
Who? I don't think any of us are running the CM clutch.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
We had cm in blk types worked ok but not great in n/a form , when turbo kit went on I'm not sure which one was worst oem or cm ,for our turbo kits we don't recommend cm or oem ,don't get me wrong they work but doesn't last at all .....However on ravredline we do have a cm clutch kit n/a haven't driven car since it went in to give a review but no complaints from customer which is a good sign ...
Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So im new to this whole thing but i was reading on another site saying that there was a probably trying to put to much horsepower meaning (400hp) in to a 04 TL so my question is is there any thing that would be holding you back from dropping 400 or more horsepower in to a 04 TL cause im looking to get a new car and im looking into a 04TL but i want to modifi it alot any help?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jay04tlfast
So im new to this whole thing but i was reading on another site saying that there was a probably trying to put to much horsepower meaning (400hp) in to a 04 TL so my question is is there any thing that would be holding you back from dropping 400 or more horsepower in to a 04 TL cause im looking to get a new car and im looking into a 04TL but i want to modifi it alot any help?
If it has a good tune, it will survive 400whp. If it has a bad tune it will blow as low as 300hp. Tune, particularly the new standalone J&R ecu is the key to durability at high power levels. There are a couple minor things that have to be done to the 5at, namely the type f fluid and pressure switches. So far, no failures at over 400hp on the stock 5at.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the help a couple of more questions so say i buy one bone stock. How much can u do to it horsepower wise before i were to blow the engine. and then the only thing i need to do to add more horsepower is the type f fluid and the pressure switch. sry im in to cars alot but dont know all the details.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jay04tlfast
Thanks for the help a couple of more questions so say i buy one bone stock. How much can u do to it horsepower wise before i were to blow the engine. and then the only thing i need to do to add more horsepower is the type f fluid and the pressure switch. sry im in to cars alot but dont know all the details.
He just answered that question buddy. Yet you ask again: "How much can u do to it horsepower wise before i were to blow the engine". It all depends on the tune and how hard you push it. Some will blow at 300 hp and some won't blow till 500 hp. It really just depends. There is no specific answer.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM
runnin a little boost

I didn't answer because I can't stand reading such poorly worded and confusing questions. If your writing skills are this poor, you won't understand my response anyway.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
^that and some need to learn to read the ENTIRE thread. Almost all questions would be answered or already have been. Anyway......
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very interesting.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM
MC_Driver

WOW very interesting but I’m a little afraid to ask a question after that other poor b____ got hammered so bad and not less than 3 times.
I hate cars: Am I to understand that J&R is a complete stand alone ECU flash and not any kind of piggy back or any added hardware? I want everything on my TL-S 5at to work just like it does now.
I’m not after power so much as to get rid of the 135MPH limiter. Yes I saw the video but again will my daily driver’s amenities work as now?
Guess I should shoot Rodney an email and ask this question. Age: Too old! wish I was in my 30s again. Mastercraft Driver + other toys.

Last edited by jbrow117; 09-21-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Want to add
Old 09-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrow117
WOW very interesting but I’m a little afraid to ask a question after that other poor b____ got hammered so bad and not less than 3 times.
I hate cars: Am I to understand that J&R is a complete stand alone ECU flash and not any kind of piggy back or any added hardware? I want everything on my TL-S 5at to work just like it does now.
I’m not after power so much as to get rid of the 135MPH limiter. Yes I saw the video but again will my daily driver’s amenities work as now?
Guess I should shoot Rodney an email and ask this question. Age: Too old! wish I was in my 30s again. Mastercraft Driver + other toys.
I'm not IHC but I have the ECU.

Your factory ECU remains in place and the MS3 is piggybacked to it.

There is a thread that discusses this but I don't know if Rodney had ever tweaked that parameter. I know it's there.

You could also take a look at the MS3 documentation.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jbrow117's Signature

TURBO COMING SOON IF......
I can find someone QUALIFIED to do the whole thing
w/engine management (tuning)
Your search is over. Rodney (founder of J&R) is the most qualified person to install a turbo on the Acura TL. This includes a complete engine management unit too that will be tuned by him. He is able to do the install for you, usually at your house if you have a home garage.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
MC_Driver

TURBO COMING SOON IF......
I can find someone QUALIFIED to do the whole thing
w/engine management (tuning)
Thanks, I put this up about 3 years ago in 08 and haven't changed it. Maybe it's time for an edit! Yes looks like the wait is over. I love this car even though it's not as fast as some of my others. However, I may add it to my Toy Collection along with the ski boat. :-)

Last edited by jbrow117; 09-22-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been reading through most of the thread I'm planning on doing a turbo build somewhere around begining of January. My question, is everyone running on the complete turbo kit or is there anyone that's done a custom kit, if so please help me out as I'm leaning on doing a custom kit. Thanks for all your help
Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

If you are good at fabrication, then you could pipe it all yourself.

If you have a tuner very close by and are able to setup either an F/IC or MS3 on your own to get to the tuner or a trailer to get it there, then you can do it yourself.

One of the biggest factors for my willingness to spend the extra money was Rodney's support. I have been able to drive my car with little worry because Rodney included tunes that were made with components similar to what I have.

Many have attempted this in the past, J&R are the only ones so far to actually produce something for the masses.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Many have attempted this in the past, J&R are the only ones so far to actually produce something for the masses.

To All,

I agree. But, this could be called an understatement.

Acurazine and the various Honda forums are littered with MANY, many failed attempts to put a turbo on the J-Series engine. From A) outright engine failures (kabooms) during the initial start-up and/or initial tuning phase to B) failure to complete the project due to the enormous setbacks from unforeseen complications. Of the few (count on one hand) people that did appear (and I stress "appear") to get their turbo running, they mysteriously sold the kit within months of having claimed to completed the project.

This is why I give HUGE respect to Rodney (J&R). He is the first that I have seen to be able to make a turbo that lives under daily driving for the J-Series engine.

Disclaimer - The above is my impressions and opinions from spending a lot of time (not hours, not days, but weeks) of searching the various J-Series forums in regards to turbos.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 10-24-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
One of the biggest factors for my willingness to spend the extra money was Rodney's support. I have been able to drive my car with little worry because Rodney included tunes that were made with components similar to what I have.

Honestly, it's really not all that much more considering the quality of products that are in this kit.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Instructor

What I don't understand is why people make it look so complicated, when you take your time and think about it its not that hard. It will take a lot of time but will also save you a lot of $$$. C'mon guys the B-series guys will put a turbo over night and with just a simple tune they're running pretty good.
What different in the tl besides more plumbing and a really good tune
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by josiel
What I don't understand is why people make it look so complicated, when you take your time and think about it its not that hard. It will take a lot of time but will also save you a lot of $$$. C'mon guys the B-series guys will put a turbo over night and with just a simple tune they're running pretty good.
What different in the tl besides more plumbing and a really good tune
Why have so many tried and given up?

Please, show us how it's done.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Instructor

I know with rodneys kit your getting top of the line products and very good customer service, if you run into any problems you'll know who to call, if I had 6g to spend on the turbo kit I definitely do it instead of going through all the hassle of doing my own. But I just don't have the $$
Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

I agree that adding a turbo to a car shouldn't be all that hard. However, the J-Series cars appear to be a different animal.

What I mentioned in post #4940 above is a borderline paranormal phenomena to me. I have a hard time not thinking that there is a "J-Series Turbo Curse".

josiel, if you ventour out on own, I advise wearing garlic and learning how to do Turbo Exorcisms.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 AM

Another guy who thinks he can go custom turbo & tune for less than $6k.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Over the years a few people of the forum I've got to meet, great guys ,and everyone knows I'm a normal guy ,still do a 9-5 manage to find time to attend to the car hobby after work sometimes no sleep , I must admit a few people tried steering me away from doing the Tl turbo kit ,in my mind I thought how hard can it really be ,its just a little positive pressure can't be that hard I must say I don't regret it one bit I'd do it again for simple reason knowledge gained thru out project priceless ,absolutely I'm sure there's people out there that probably can build the kit and it works no doubt in my mind about that ........
Let me say I'm still recoperating financially from building this kit , r&d holy cow never thought that would cost so much countless hours of dyno , logging data then most important testing the car in the real world prove another task ,meaning all you think would be ok from using dyno ,when you hit the road straight back to the drawing board as you see all potential issues ,and me for one refused to put my name on a kit that I haven't tested personally and feel it is ready to be sold ,that's another story all in it self as going to the shop getting a kit built is all fine ,but now you remember I have to make this kit consumer friendly and easy to install along the lines of designing the kit to where all maintenance parts are accessible instead of taking of the whole kit just to do a simple let's say a mount swap ect a lot of people here can vow to this and as a customer if I'm going to buy a kit for 6k most likely ill be looking to save some money by tring to install it then you realize this is bigger than I imagined ....

Then there came our supporters who plunged in without regrets and hassle hi-speed , kn-Tl ,libert now when this happened I know ok whatever I think was good redo it as these guys paid top dollar without even knowing of us or better yet never even heard of us ,this was point of no return and point where you know as a customer myself I need reliability, power and quality products that will last ....

So to say it cannot be done by another would be bias , but please be willing to go thru some sleepless nights ,ups and downs ect as the Tl is a total different beast inaccurate said it best ...ill tell you thou when its completed and your rolling on the highway ( true story) and you see the guy who laughed at you in his e55 amg and he decides to take you on with your 500 whp Tl from a 60 roll to 160 and all your showing him is how pretty a base Tl rear tail lights are pretty PRICELESS .....to date vato car has been the fastest yet I've driven it even surpassed our test car ,but he went all in and got it all clutch which to get developed was over 5k yes it took that much and another forum member to get it done thanks to rich with his j35 powered Honda prelude ....
I've been of forum for a bit just been busy ,finally got spade car up and running ,working on libert build which he s been more than patient with us but it helps as he know we did not get enough time with the auto when we got his done ,but with spade and libert kindness and understanding we were able to get both cars for us to get familiar with them and what they do as we all know acura,trans isn't the most liked with positive pressure especially ,but all said and done libert trans is still good and spade is good we are currently in process of doing libert build and as we are thru spade will be back to get an all out build can't wait til both are thru ......
On a side note we are preparing an integra powered with a j series for strictly drag duties , we are debating on getting a manual trans with dog cut gears which we can get let's see how it goes for the new year as we are leaning towards it ,this would allow hard launches no more gear failures and add to list of great products .....

Last edited by pass427; 10-25-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Sounds exciting rod. As you know I sold my Tl a few months back and moved into a hatch with integra internals. I'm interested in the dog cut gears so maybe you and I can get a set made together, may be cheaper.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Instructor

rodney what part of florida is you shop located?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well said Rodney, but I'm going to be bias. First off, for those who believe they can build a cheaper turbo kit for the TL, go ahead and try. You will be back on this forum begging for Rodney, liberts, KN-TL and other members help to get your turbo kit atleast halfway running correctly. A cheaper kit = More problems + piss poor results. If your in the business of half assing, then this is the route you should take. The J&R turbo kit is designed to enhance the TL's overall performance and elevate the status of your TL compared to other highend luxary vehicles. i.e BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, Jaguar, etc...I've had the J&R turbo kit roughly a month now and I've had nothing but positive feedback from individuals outside the acurazine community on the kit and they are literally baffled when they see whats under the hood. All I'm saying is... if your considering turbocharging your TL, then invest in the J&R kit. It's proven, reliable and will definately change your outlook of the TL and will seperate you from the competion. But if your into racing hatchback civics and all that other BS that is more noise than power, sell your TL, growup, save and try again later...........sorry for my grammer.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Majofo

Another guy who thinks he can go custom turbo & tune for less than $6k.
I don't think I just do things, if it works good if not ill try again its just a turbo were not doing something no ones done before. Maybe ill even pass 6k but maybe I can get it done with 3k who knows. If other people have failed why should I fail too. For me the hardest part will be tuning and I have someone doing it for me who knows what he's doing, he just won this past sunday first place at a championship at west palm beach international raceway with a built backyard hatch running 11.5's, I know the tl is something totally different but not impossible to work with. Like I mentioned before Rodney did a great job with this kit there's a lot of time and labor put into it I wish I had the $$$ to buy it, I'm lucky enough to have a paidoff tl, for now ill stick to building my own let see how good or bad it goes
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Safety Car

Tuning was and is the hardest part. If you read Rodney's post, dyno time isn't cheap. Most of these attempts end with no further update but I can imagine either they hand grenaded their engines or just couldn't get things running right. Most people hate to admit failure.

Just about anyone who can weld and/or has access to a bender or using pieces can pipe together the exhaust and charge piping.

That said, good luck. Not sure why you'd want to spend 6K on doing it yourself but to each his own.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Dyno time is $40 an hour where I live that's not a lot
Old 10-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
^ It's also the tuner as well, make sure he is as good as his price. Some tuners just tune the basics which is to get the AFR at 13.1. My tuner rate is at $150 an hr which is pretty common. Around the twin cities in Minnesota, we have about 5 great shops that has different rollers and different legend tuners. Now, for the tuner, each guy has their way of tuning, their secrets and their methods. One guy will tune for maxium power and the other guy will tune for maxium realiability. Yes, you made good power but you have to refill gas more often than say another tuner who would tune the car that will give you good gas milage and a conservative tune.
Dyno tuning is only good if you as the driver is good at street tuning, it will save you couple hundreds on the dyno that the tuner will just tweek some areas the street can't do.
I really wish we as a TL community have an E-Tunez available to us from the J&R ecu standalone. If we have this available, I would really think we can share our datalogs, maps, and other calibrations with each other since most people will have Richie this and ATLP this.
Now, I've been fairly new to the TL, I just joined this forum not too long ago and I feel like there still isn't much information here that i want to see or hear. Or maybe it's just that most people here is just about basic bolt-ons.
I'm looking for J&R for some revisions done on the their turbo kits... if they will have some coming. I may have missed what type of turbo manifold J&R is using.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by bouncer07
^ It's also the tuner as well, make sure he is as good as his price. Some tuners just tune the basics which is to get the AFR at 13.1. My tuner rate is at $150 an hr which is pretty common. Around the twin cities in Minnesota, we have about 5 great shops that has different rollers and different legend tuners. Now, for the tuner, each guy has their way of tuning, their secrets and their methods. One guy will tune for maxium power and the other guy will tune for maxium realiability. Yes, you made good power but you have to refill gas more often than say another tuner who would tune the car that will give you good gas milage and a conservative tune.
Dyno tuning is only good if you as the driver is good at street tuning, it will save you couple hundreds on the dyno that the tuner will just tweek some areas the street can't do.
I really wish we as a TL community have an E-Tunez available to us from the J&R ecu standalone. If we have this available, I would really think we can share our datalogs, maps, and other calibrations with each other since most people will have Richie this and ATLP this.
Now, I've been fairly new to the TL, I just joined this forum not too long ago and I feel like there still isn't much information here that i want to see or hear. Or maybe it's just that most people here is just about basic bolt-ons.
I'm looking for J&R for some revisions done on the their turbo kits... if they will have some coming. I may have missed what type of turbo manifold J&R is using.

What revisions would you like to see done to the J&R kit? He already has a v2 that positions the turbo inlet forward to allow a better intake setup. I don't see Rodney coming out with any new revisions to the kit, as revisions are very expensive and the kit is pretty refined as it sits. As far as the manifold it is a custom setup, look at the pics of the kit, not sure what you mean by type of manifold.

As far as exchanging tunes, very few people have the J&R ECU and those who do are all turbo or heavily modified, so their tune would be of no use to the less modified. Another consideration is that those who are this modified tend to want a tune customized to their exact set up.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Dynos are just to get you in the ballpark. Once you put the car under load on the street things will change. That safe AFR on the dyno will usually swing toward the lean side. The amount of timing you could run on the dyno is now too much timing for the additional load on the street. Use the dyno to get things in the ballpark and spend most of your time on the street.

As for the turbo manifolds mentioned before, there are no real manifolds. You have a single exhaust port per head and a pipe to carry the exhaust to the turbo. No real room for improvement there.

Also, run around with a 13:1 AFR on a turbo car without race gas or methanol and you will be sweeping up engine parts from the street.

I know some tuners charge $1,000 and hour and act as if they have some special abilities but it's timing and AFR. There's not a whole else you can tweak.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:05 PM

No GN in sig..

Did you sell it?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ u just noticed that ? not in sig and no pic as well
Old 10-29-2011, 02:21 PM

I doubt he would ever sell it. I know it's had several issues that needed to be worked on like new shafts, etc.. Last I heard IHC was going to bore & stroke to something like 4L.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
No GN in sig..

Did you sell it?
Nah I have a race setup with a 900hp Supra from LA. The less they know about the car the better.
The following users liked this post:
phee (10-30-2011)

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08