Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts

I figured.

I hope you spank him and take his dough. Stay safe!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo

I figured.

I hope you spank him and take his dough. Stay safe!
It's going to be more like praying I get at least 10 carlengths off the start and hoping he doesn't run me down before the finish line. I can make more power with what I have but the stock bottom won't take anymore. I haven't run it hard in so long, usually I run around at 12-14psi boost. This will be the first time it's seen 31-32psi in a few years.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Nah I have a race setup with a 900hp Supra from LA. The less they know about the car the better.
sneaky sneaky
Old 10-29-2011, 03:58 PM

32 psi!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
32 psi!
Yeah, the heads suck. It takes a lot of pressure to get any appreciable flow. It's got enough intercooler and meth to ensure it enters the engine below ambient temps so it's all good.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 PM

There's no pressure drop though right.. That's still pretty nuts.

Just for you Matt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=141Ox...eature=related

Last edited by Majofo; 10-29-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Team Owner

That was awesome! I didn't look at the title before watching. That's why you don't race if you can't handle the car. I almost have more fun on pure street tire running mid to upper 11s because I'm still going sideways at 125mph. It's hard to stay in it but it looks like he made the right decision.

Just a little pressure drop due to the cooling effect. About 3psi from the outlet of the turbo to the intake manifold. I could have gone the big cam route and run less boost for the same power but at the time, appearing and sounding stock was very high on the priority list. I knew either way I would be able to hit the limits of the stock bottom and I knew realistically for red light to red light fun, running more than 13-15psi would not do a thing for 0-80mph times on street tire.

This Supra is going to run me down up top. I don't like that feeling at all. Luckily it's a manual so I should be able to put 5-10 car lengths on him off the start and then pray.

Are you watching the UFC tonight?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 PM

That was awesome! I didn't look at the title before watching. That's why you don't race if you can't handle the car. I almost have more fun on pure street tire running mid to upper 11s because I'm still going sideways at 125mph. It's hard to stay in it but it looks like he made the right decision.

Just a little pressure drop due to the cooling effect. About 3psi from the outlet of the turbo to the intake manifold. I could have gone the big cam route and run less boost for the same power but at the time, appearing and sounding stock was very high on the priority list. I knew either way I would be able to hit the limits of the stock bottom and I knew realistically for red light to red light fun, running more than 13-15psi would not do a thing for 0-80mph times on street tire.

This Supra is going to run me down up top. I don't like that feeling at all. Luckily it's a manual so I should be able to put 5-10 car lengths on him off the start and then pray.

Are you watching the UFC tonight?
Hopefully the Supra will underestimate you. Is this going to be at the track? I would pull the bus length, then hit the brakes. Then call him a ricer for smoking past you.

Yeah.. Watched at home for once. I have a bum leg after getting falsecracked by a 6'3 lebanese guy I train with.. he accidentally heel kicked my femur above the knee. lol.. He wasn't looking where he was throwing his kick and I was just minding my business.. all I could do was laugh about it, then hobble around.

Regarding the fights.. I'm pretty bummed. So sad to see my heroes leave the ring. They were truly the best, I just wish they would have left with wins.. same goes for Hughes.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Team Owner

It's a street race. My car isn't legal for even 10s and right now it should trap in the mid 130s His is probably a 140mph+ car but I'm betting it won't run quicker than high 10s or low 11s. I get the say in the location and get to mark the 1/4 off since it's common for people to mark off a long 1/4.

I hope Penn was just caught up in the moment. I know I've felt that way just from sparring. I knew a girl by the name of Rachel at the "The Beach" in Vegas who was telling me all about her friend and what a nice guy he was and how he was about to get his first fight in the UFC. That was BJ and now it's kind of weird to see his career go full cycle. I really hope he continues to fight. He looked a little sloppy physically and though that doesn't mean much it made me wonder from the beginning how his cardio was going to be.

Cro Cop retiring sucks but I think he made the right decision. I don't want to see a legend start getting beat by up and coming guys. I remember thinking that he was going to be the cause of the first MMA death in the ring with those kicks. Now he rarely throws them. He's still awesome and one of the pioneers. I feel old, most of the legends from my time are gone or going away. There are some exciting new fighters but I find myself less and less emotionally involved....that sounds a little gay lol. It used to be so special when they had these events twice a year, people used to ask me what the Tapout and Cobra Kai sticker on my car meant, the weigh ins were open to anyone without having to buy tickets, the fact that we used to walk in with Tito and Kristen on a non fight night and sit in the first few rows seems like a dream now. I guess it's lost some of it's meaning for me or maybe I'm just getting old. I did recently see myself on TV in the second row during the Vernon White and Liddell fight back in '04 or '05, kind of neat since I had forgotten I was at that fight. Well enough for my self pity lol.

The next fight card looks awesome and they were promoting it for tomorrow but I can't find any evidence of it on Fox.

Sucks about your leg, are you expected to fully recover? It's good you still train. I think I would have trouble with the average Joe if it lasted more than 10 seconds with the shape I'm in. The worst thing is I look like I'm in excellent shape only because I've cut my diet way back. It would be embarrassing to say the least.

Anyway, I'll have to take you and Justin out for a beer or 10 when I get out there.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:43 AM

It's a street race. My car isn't legal for even 10s and right now it should trap in the mid 130s His is probably a 140mph+ car but I'm betting it won't run quicker than high 10s or low 11s. I get the say in the location and get to mark the 1/4 off since it's common for people to mark off a long 1/4.

I hope Penn was just caught up in the moment. I know I've felt that way just from sparring. I knew a girl by the name of Rachel at the "The Beach" in Vegas who was telling me all about her friend and what a nice guy he was and how he was about to get his first fight in the UFC. That was BJ and now it's kind of weird to see his career go full cycle. I really hope he continues to fight. He looked a little sloppy physically and though that doesn't mean much it made me wonder from the beginning how his cardio was going to be.

Cro Cop retiring sucks but I think he made the right decision. I don't want to see a legend start getting beat by up and coming guys. I remember thinking that he was going to be the cause of the first MMA death in the ring with those kicks. Now he rarely throws them. He's still awesome and one of the pioneers. I feel old, most of the legends from my time are gone or going away. There are some exciting new fighters but I find myself less and less emotionally involved....that sounds a little gay lol. It used to be so special when they had these events twice a year, people used to ask me what the Tapout and Cobra Kai sticker on my car meant, the weigh ins were open to anyone without having to buy tickets, the fact that we used to walk in with Tito and Kristen on a non fight night and sit in the first few rows seems like a dream now. I guess it's lost some of it's meaning for me or maybe I'm just getting old. I did recently see myself on TV in the second row during the Vernon White and Liddell fight back in '04 or '05, kind of neat since I had forgotten I was at that fight. Well enough for my self pity lol.

The next fight card looks awesome and they were promoting it for tomorrow but I can't find any evidence of it on Fox.

Sucks about your leg, are you expected to fully recover? It's good you still train. I think I would have trouble with the average Joe if it lasted more than 10 seconds with the shape I'm in. The worst thing is I look like I'm in excellent shape only because I've cut my diet way back. It would be embarrassing to say the least.

Anyway, I'll have to take you and Justin out for a beer or 10 when I get out there.
I'm with you.. I really like some of these up and comers but I'll never be a fan to them like those who have paved the way.

BJ was in good shape tonight. He really got hurt in the 2nd and had a difficult time regaining his composure. It definitely could be heat of the moment but I know BJ is a man of his word and I don't want to see him fight just to fight. It's not who he is.. he wants to fight the best, and if he can't, he won't fight.

I was pretty heated. I was yelling circle left, get off the cage, jam Diaz up. I used to work with one of his students and also a good mma fighter, Mike Aina. He's never gotten the call but he fought Diaz a few years ago. He did very well against Diaz but lost in a controversial split decision. I was hoping if Mike was able to do well, and since much of the fight was on the ground, that BJ would learn from that fight and capitalize. He was purely out gunned tonight.

I'm sad to see Crocop lose against some of these guys. I loved watching him put guys in the hospital and thought some day, the left leg would put someone in the morgue. But if it has to be this way, I'm glad to see they went out with their heart on the mat and against worthy opponents and not in some small circuit fight against some juiced up thug.

My leg's fine.. I'm just being a baby. We used to spar full out tournament style every week years ago. It looked like I was beat by some hooligan gang with bats the next day. Getting up or even shifting around on the bed was dreadful.. I would look at stairs, even a few steps on the stoop with horror.

The announcer got it wrong. I have no idea why he said tomorrow.. Cain is fighting on the 12th on Fox. I'll be in Korea for my buddies wedding on the 12th. I'm going to try to find some bar and watch it. Otherwise i'll find some PC cafe and stream it.

I'll be in Vegas in March for Nascar again. We got cold passes (wife's group makes the new fuel injection chip).. should be pretty good. The BIL has since moved away so we'll be on the strip for a few days. Maybe Mr. Crabs can make it out. Otherwise you always have a place to stay out here. You don't want to go to Houston, it's a shit hole. You get the beer.. I'll get buy the goose. Just watch your drink with Justn.

Good luck on the Race, post a vid if it happens.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
congrats spade nice to see your tring to make it to all meets and nice trophy ...link to pics https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/central-florida-meet-10-29-11-a-837330/
Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM

nice.. not a fan of the engine covers though.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
I just noticed the location of the overflow tank. Kinda wierd but it works
Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Yea with new piping we took away the space had to do a remount ,we are about to do a custom carbon fiber hood that spade decided to get with vents to allow more air to enter and exit the engine bay keep things way cooler as the versus bumper looks like its not going to.happen its been a year isr two they said they were going to.do.another set but no.luck so next best thing is a custom hood with ventilation ,and let's see who I find to redesign bumper for ultimate cooling .....
Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Libert I think cooling mods on your car works pretty fine as you verified this with scanner and I have also and its pretty good even better than our test car as we haven't done the cooling mod as yet ..
Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

To date vato have had the pleasure of having the highest whp tl with 560 whp and 500lb tq at the wheels ,but with libert and Wayne both doing a build ,BTW we may have another contender that we will push the limit close to 600 whp ,we have been a bit quiet for a few months but rest assure we have no plans in closing our doors or stop offering our services matter a fact we are continuing our ventures with the tl regardless of how old it is now its still a great car and engine once you get to know it its awesome ....the mystery contender will be a manual types ....
Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^

bro what you guys have done with the TL is not enough funny....kudos...sometimes i go back to page 1 on this thread and read the comments posted by people....am glad that did stop you to get to this level...

the type - s MT will be past 600 with the similar work/tuning if my thinking is right....but yeah great work....keep it up
Old 11-02-2011, 03:35 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Enjoy reading the first page of this thread and how it "seemed" impossible. And now we're almost to a 600whp setup!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Performance Thru its Stages

Performance at its best ,taking it to the next level ,making performance speak for itself .......

How it all began with just a few mods ....

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...carpics039.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...carpics019.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...carpics015.jpg

Then after precat deletes and 276 whp, I thought this car is pretty smooth for 276 whp this thing flys ,so I started looking for more ,then I remember seeing this car, omg I was sold

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...IMG_5841-1.jpg

Then after searching ultimately I was dissapointed ,to see what was available for performance upgrade ,and ultimately 300 whp was not going to be enough ..

Then came time for surgery as I thought to myself ,well a few attempt was made unsuccessful ,it can't be that hard little did I know what I was getting into ,still keeping it under radar few talks here and there looking to get feedback but it seems they were all negative ,gave me more drive ..

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...08/photo13.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...008/car2-1.jpg

A few months later an untuned beast was alive and running

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...008/photo1.jpg

First disc made for us by competition clutch ,as we were promised a full package was going to be made sent in all necessary parts ect,little did we know

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/67aaaacf.jpg

Thread was started by banelba originally ,was suppose to be a turbo tl with rear mounted setup ,but after a few promises and no pics community wanted answers ,so banelba contacted me and asked if he could post our progress ,I thought no at first but hey why not . Then problems started 3 weeks no tune ,decided to trailer car to Orlando to get tune ,those guys from shop we went was ultimately worst we have dealt with ,which was suppose to be best ,trip costed an arm and a leg and no results ,thank god for the community acurazine ,I was told to contact nvaav6 which I did ,agreed to send him harness with aem two weeks later harness was back ,by then community started to wonder two failed project in one thread lol ,but then came a shop owner had offer me help ended up taking him up on his offer .. June 4 came for time for first tune but prior we had ran into a bunch of issues r&d didn't even start as yet I thought to myself dam I already started the juorney no.turning back ,on day for tuning tow truck came to get the car as I installed some really big injectors so driving wasn't an option. On way to dyno tow truck gets pulled over toe guy gets locked up plea with cop to allow him to drop my car so.I can get it ,he finally agreed ,now I'm hi rated waiting on side of road with a new car can't start a bunch of money under the hood ,finally got car there happy wasn't the word ,one problem tuner left already I was 2 hrs late but he ended up coming back then from there I must say it started coming all together ,now let's get back to the slideshow ....

Redesigned to accomodate maintainance and easy clutch replacements ...

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/ee457981.jpg

Then came our customers that would allow us to continue

Kn-tl ,link to his complete install thread done by himself awesome

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/my-diy-j-r-turbo-install-773668/

Then came newest development a 2007 tl typeS now things was making sense

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/d6f9274d.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/e68e511d.jpg

Testing limits with turbo kit and own ecu only ,we had to know what would happen in every and any scenario.

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/acb3ef98.jpg

Then came meets ,drives and events http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/660f1abd.jpg

Heatsheild a must have even in n/a form

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/7b58ee09.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/16fddde4.jpg

Transforming for new look

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/d65e177a.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/1864eb76.jpg

Then came our 296 whp.bolt on n/a tester http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/b706ffc2.jpg

Complete kit

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/4dc20a4f.jpg

Fuel pump assembly a must have for any pressurized application

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/cf2aae48.jpg

Then came big power was happiest on the road ,competing wasn't an issue anymore

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/9484249e.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/4387947b.jpg

Then came libert auto setup

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/e7928561.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/86ba6320.jpg

Tl day

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/57073836.jpg

Then came most classical install of them all ,in Wyoming for christurbotypes ...Kit was made in a record two days as our kits are designed to work with aftermarket mounts we had his kit ready ,but then mount place kept giving us run around and I had a strong feeling I'd end up in Wyoming and no install ,so with that in mind friend of a friend said I know a welder who can make you a kit I said in two days he said sure brought him the car keep.in mind its his first time even working on a tl ,about 3 hours before my flight a kit was born and a new welded which we use to date designed to be used with own engine mounts and oem foglights . Install was done in a small gararge with a scissors jack and a few tools I bought along with tree suitcases full with goodies ...

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...Picture120.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/8a3d7a0d.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/f546383a.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/cb67278b.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/f942d3b7.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/9508832d.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/ccfabed3.jpg

After a little improvision fog lights fitted perfectly

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/2e122e4f.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/1e07dd5b.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/f9f603d0.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/de49a764.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/82d5c56c.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/940baa33.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/c30f9a99.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/7a05c688.jpg

Cm kit was not up to the task to handle the turbo kit brutal power

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...Picture889.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...Picture891.jpg

Then came hope to deliver all this torque to the asphalt rheumatic disc application

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...icture1118.jpg

Uncoated piping kit

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...icture1050.jpg

Twin disc clutch installed on j35

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/f0b7db78.jpg

Word of advice when installing manual clutch on tl use the recommend tool it will work without it but it will never perform way it was intended

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/4906f05c.jpg

Then came ecu a defenite sign of hope ..jandr ecu on tl types with own cats in place ...

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb172/KN_TL/?action= view&current=IMG_0237.mp4

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb172/KN_TL/?action= view&current=IMG_0243.mp4

Then came 560 whp build breaking point

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/IMAG0104.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/IMAG0065.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/IMAG0067.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/IMAG0062.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...IMAG0061-1.jpg

Undrivable monster on damp road

http://static.photobucket.com/player...=http://vid519. photobucket.com/albums/u354/1rodney12008/VIDEO0038.mp4

http://static.photobucket.com/player...=http://vid519. photobucket.com/albums/u354/1rodney12008/VIDEO0039.mp4

http://static.photobucket.com/player...=http://vid519. photobucket.com/albums/u354/1rodney12008/VIDEO0041.mp4

Gauge pod

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/IMAG0317.jpg

Then came newest addition spadeo698 auto typeS

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/IMAG0314.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/IMAG0358.jpg

R&d in progress ,always testing something or pushing the limits

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/IMAG0376.jpg ......

Hopefully this helped as I'm sure its hard going back to page one just a quick summary of then and now and a few vidoes attached ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=iupJv9bgnoo&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=bMb-2I3oiyQ&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=XFOJOSp4BSU&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=Af5iz5_XESM&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=xyrJPGIvYNw&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=k016jSwos74&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=NYg5UmneAME&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=xAUZZPaIOl8&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=CKy_ljMpqQQ&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=fXIFe51-FuE&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=jjTXYXlmj8E&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=_RDhYlXzSpA&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=iupJv9bgnoo&feature=youtube_ gdata_player

Hope you guys enjoy the recap .......

Last edited by pass427; 11-02-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 AM

^^^ thats what I said a couple post back buddy...you guys have come a long way....its awesome that you made this post.....it captures the essence of the Turbo TL
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by swoosh
bro what you guys have done with the TL is not enough funny.
So you think this is more than funny Anil.. This aint no joke sucka!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM

^^^ good catch there....was making sure atleast someone reads my post

Thanks majofo
Old 11-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Would you guys be planning to offer the hood/bumper for sale?

I was thinking of eventually getting a custom CF vented hood made too but haven't had the time or funds [broke college student ftl] to get the project going. lol. So at this rate I feel maybe it's a better option for me to see what you can [potentially] offer =]

I hope the vents won't be too excessive and flow with the lines of the TL though
Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
So questions to the guys with high turbo whp numbers. What are your gears setup on the transmission?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
^ Oem because there are currently no other options.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Post #4979 =
Great job guys! If I had the money I'd buy the kit and I would be whoring pics for u guys all day lol
Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 PM
18psi

Its alive!!!

Wiseco 9:1 pistons
Pauter rods
Full KMS valve train
Type-S heads
Type-S cams
ARP head studs
ARP main studs
Upgraded TQ converter w/3000 stall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOP53Yzv9ZA

First start-up. No turbo kit yet. 1000 mile break in period first then some serious boost
Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 PM

FUCKING NICE bro....

I think you should dyno before the turbo (with all current mods) and then after the turbo
Old 11-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Team Owner

Very, very nice! Can't wait to see this thing in action. You should be able to run a solid 15psi without methanol with a proper tune. I predict 500-550 before meth.

Just one thing though, it's a very good idea to vary rpms for the first 30 minutes or so, up and down from idle to 3,000rpm. The oil spray/splash pattern on the cylinders changes by rpm. Do you know what kind of rings were used? Just asking because some require a pretty hard break-in and some can be driven normal. I don't know if that video was the first few moments of life or if it had been running for a while.

Swoosh- I wouldn't expect much more NA hp than stock with the lowered CR but under boost it's going to be an absolute monster.

I've been pretty bored with this site for a while now but now I have something to look forward to. Can't wait to hear your impressions of the high stall as well. It should more than make up for the softer low end from the lowered CR. This is so awesome in so many ways. Let me know if I butt in too much, I'm just really excited to see what this thing does.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:12 AM
18psi

Originally Posted by swoosh
FUCKING NICE bro....

I think you should dyno before the turbo (with all current mods) and then after the turbo
Its not out of the question but might not be worth the time/money/effort to do a few NA pulls IMO since I really dont care about what the motor does NA lol

BUT, I bet I would lose about 20whp dropping 2 points on compression. Type S heads might add few ponies but nothing drastic.

Very, very nice! Can't wait to see this thing in action. You should be able to run a solid 15psi without methanol with a proper tune. I predict 500-550 before meth.

Just one thing though, it's a very good idea to vary rpms for the first 30 minutes or so, up and down from idle to 3,000rpm. The oil spray/splash pattern on the cylinders changes by rpm. Do you know what kind of rings were used? Just asking because some require a pretty hard break-in and some can be driven normal. I don't know if that video was the first few moments of life or if it had been running for a while.

Swoosh- I wouldn't expect much more NA hp than stock with the lowered CR but under boost it's going to be an absolute monster.

I've been pretty bored with this site for a while now but now I have something to look forward to. Can't wait to hear your impressions of the high stall as well. It should more than make up for the softer low end from the lowered CR. This is so awesome in so many ways. Let me know if I butt in too much, I'm just really excited to see what this thing does.
500whp is the goal for now. Like everyone already knows, making the power now is the easy part. Having a tranny that will function at those levels is yet to be seen. Being the guinea pig is fun and nerve wrecking at the same time. At this point I dont even care about breaking the trans. Ill just swap in another and keep on going.

Not sure on the ring specifics but they are wiseco rings

Stop hanging out in the audio sub section all the time lol. Ill keep this thread alive.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:22 AM

Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Safety Car

very exciting indeed

N/A = The calm before the storm.

It's going to suck having to drive the 1k miles without boost for the break-in after you gotten so use to the beastly side before.

Like IHC said, we are really eager to hear your thoughts on the converter. I am assuming that you never driven or rode in a car with a loose converter before. If so, it will feel weird at first. During casual acceleration, you give it some throttle and the car acts like it doesn't want to move. You give it more throttle and the car acts wounded (very reluctant to accelerate). So you give it more pedal, and then you feel the converter grab and then you smile knowing that all is ok with the world.

Do some googling on engine break-in. There are two main philosophies. Take it easy, or give it hell. I follow the hell version. A lot of short burst of wot up to redline. But not prolonged / sustained periods. Get it up there and then get out of the throttle. Also important is to have sessions where you allow the engine to stay in lower gear (without upshifting) as the car coast down in speed after you wot to redline.

But most important is to follow the recommendation of Wiseco. Also, if IHC follows me with a reply regarding this, please follow his advise because he has more experience with this than me.

Now get off of the internet and go drive your car so that we can get past this 1k mile break-in point.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 11-23-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Safety Car

Bert,

Any info or pics on what happened with your previous engine (post-mortem) ?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:18 AM

Thanks IHC...am still trying to learn how various components work and what you gain/lose when you do couple things....hence asked....

Originally Posted by libert69
Its not out of the question but might not be worth the time/money/effort to do a few NA pulls IMO since I really dont care about what the motor does NA lol

BUT, I bet I would lose about 20whp dropping 2 points on compression. Type S heads might add few ponies but nothing drastic.
Nice...I was thinking along the same lines...NA with all type-s cams + lower CR + ECU (well tuned) you will be able to push out 25-30 to the wheels...atleast...but well....

it does sound great and props for the built....Also looking forward to knowing what happened to the prev engine...
Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 AM

^^^ I was taking specific to Bert's built (since he is gonna throw a turbo on it)....

a NA built would benefit from a higher CR....

Sorry am still half asleep....didnt write/frame the above post too well....
Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^thanks. i deleted my previous comment.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Great to hear. I hate advancements cause they make me want to spend some dough!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I was just going to ask where you were with the build Bert! Have you been making trips to Fla or sitting in NY waiting for this update?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
It's going to suck having to drive the 1k miles without boost for the break-in after you gotten so use to the beastly side before.
Bert will put on 1k miles before this thread reaches a new page. The TL is definitely his DD.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
very exciting indeed

N/A = The calm before the storm.

Like IHC said, we are really eager to hear your thoughts on the converter. I am assuming that you never driven or rode in a car with a loose converter before. If so, it will feel weird at first. During casual acceleration, you give it some throttle and the car acts like it doesn't want to move. You give it more throttle and the car acts wounded (very reluctant to accelerate). So you give it more pedal, and then you feel the converter grab and then you smile knowing that all is ok with the world.

Do some googling on engine break-in. There are two main philosophies. Take it easy, or give it hell. I follow the hell version. A lot of short burst of wot up to redline. But not prolonged / sustained periods. Get it up there and then get out of the throttle. Also important is to have sessions where you allow the engine to stay in lower gear (without upshifting) as the car coast down in speed after you wot to redline.

But most important is to follow the recommendation of Wiseco. Also, if IHC follows me with a reply regarding this, please follow his advise because he has more experience with this than me.

Now get off of the internet and go drive your car so that we can get past this 1k mile break-in point.
I fully agree with your break-in procedure. I was once told by Kenny Duttweiler to break in the cam (not applicable to the TL) and leave rubber out of the driveway. In the early days, using chrome rings I broke it in easy and could never get the rings to seat. After the re-rebuild I would warm it up, check for leaks and go hunting albeit at a lower than normal boost. My father's car broke in on the dyno. Warmed it up for 15 minutes and started putting a tune on it. Within 30 minutes of it's first startup we were putting over 800hp to the wheels.

Nothing is going to break and if it does it would have broken anyway. The only real break-in is the rings and cylinders. Journal bearings don't have a real break-in and the valvetrain is all roller. Do a leakdown test and depending on what rings you used, once it gets down to the 2-5% range you're broken in. Usually this is within 30 minutes of startup.

I think in the TL's case firing it up NA is a good idea only because you can use stock fuel maps and running it rich by accident during break-in is never good. Oh, and change the oil after 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08