Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
interested in this resistor set up. is it just a resistor or does it add voltage as well?
From looking at the Service Manual, it appears to be just a varying resistance valve that varies with temperature(thermistor).

In the pic below, the resistance will vary to voltage being sent back to the ecu. The voltage can vary from 0.1 to 4.8 V depending on how much resistance there is in the circuit.

In the pic above, it is interesting to see that the system is designed to read as low as -40 degrees.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:04 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
ANDDo we know what resistor value is needed?
Originally Posted by phee
interested in this resistor set up. is it just a resistor or does it add voltage as well?
Honestly I dont know. I havent talked to him about it much and electrical really isnt my strong point.

However, this idea just jumped into my head so you guys tell me if this makes sense.

The manual says that voltage for the IAT sensor will measure between 0.1 - r4.8volts. For arguments sake, say 0.1volts is equal to -40°F and 4.8volts is equal to +200°F. Or vice versa depending on how the sensor reads the voltage to temperature relationship

While idling, remove the IAT sensor from the TB but keep it connected. Connect you OBDll scanner and monitor the temperature of the IAT sensor. Take a multimeter and measure the voltage from the sensor. Hit the sensor with a hairdryer or whatever until you reach a steady 75°F on the scanner. Read the voltage on the multimeter and you have your proper voltage for 75°. Or just let the car idle until your sensor reads 75° and check the voltage.

Would that work? I have no idea what to do after that though lol. Obviously you need to send the same voltage to the ecm using the resistor but I have no idea how stuff like that works.

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I didn't mean to "stir the pot". I was concerned for all turbo users (present and future) that would be running methanol. But now knowing that Rodney locked-out his IAT, my concerns are no longer valid.
No pot stirring all. All info is valuable info

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm looking forward to the teardown, Bert.

Also interested in seeing how clean your 100,000 mile engine is. I bet the combustion chamber is extremely clean with your water/meth injection. Mine were always new looking with only a light tan tint to the pistons.

Also think it's a GREAT idea to eliminate variables. Keeping the IAT sensor at a constant value is very good.
Me too. I know when we pulled the oil pan at 120000miles there was ZERO sludge in the pan. Extremely clean
Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by libert69
However, this idea just jumped into my head so you guys tell me if this makes sense.
Your idea is sound. A person can use a multi-meter to measure the resistance of the IAT Sensor at the temperature that one wishes to mimic. Then, a resistor of that same resistance value can be substituted in place of the IAT Sensor.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
^^ no need to go crazy ill post which resistor to get to lock iat at 75 degrees i dont mind sharing info, on the other hand ill have to check with mods on this but we are working on our own ecu which will be able to control timing fuel ,basically a standalone incorporated with the stock ecu so all functions will still work and detonation should be a thing of the past as we would have full timing control and fuel control in cloosed loop..
i know libert and myself have been waiting on something like this as well as the supercharged community at an est 1275 plug and play .
Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Here are some pics of the oil cooler if anyone is looking to draw some extra heat away from the engine. It's 13 inch long, 4 in tall and 2 in thick. I bought it from Summit racing for about $100. The lines are Earls nylon black braided 8 AN line and the fittings are Russel all black also from Summit. The sandwich adapter is from Be Cool and was around $30. A little over $200 in all, but a good investment especialy with the turbo.
Name:  Sandwichadapter.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  100.0 KB
Name:  06TLOilCooler.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  93.2 KB
Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
anyone think this Turbo kit might be fitted to a 3.7 RL? just a thought.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
Here are some pics of the oil cooler if anyone is looking to draw some extra heat away from the engine. It's 13 inch long, 4 in tall and 2 in thick. I bought it from Summit racing for about $100. The lines are Earls nylon black braided 8 AN line and the fittings are Russel all black also from Summit. The sandwich adapter is from Be Cool and was around $30. A little over $200 in all, but a good investment especialy with the turbo.

That's really neat! I like the exposed rad on the lower vent. Looks small enough for good exposure.
Have you monitored oil temps before and after?
Just curious to know the difference.

This is also a bit beneficial from just having more oil circulating around.
Would you say maybe now your motor holds almost an additional qt? 3/4 of a qt perhaps. I can't tell the capacity of the rad, but even an additional 3/4 qt is pretty goodl
Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 037
Anything can be fitted with a few tweaks and such..The mechanical part is the easy part, so to speak.
The bigger issue is tunning, since there would need to be some R&D into that aspect all over again. Rodney (J&R) can answer these questions better and let you know if there will be such plans
Old 12-14-2010, 07:51 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
That's really neat! I like the exposed rad on the lower vent. Looks small enough for good exposure.
Have you monitored oil temps before and after?
Just curious to know the difference.

This is also a bit beneficial from just having more oil circulating around.
Would you say maybe now your motor holds almost an additional qt? 3/4 of a qt perhaps. I can't tell the capacity of the rad, but even an additional 3/4 qt is pretty goodl

I am running an extra quart, so about 6 QT in all. I don't know what the temps were prior to the cooler or pre cooler now, but I know it's around 160 at the cooler on the warm side after I park. I did the cooler and the UCM at the same time so the drop in manifold temp was amazing. 50-60 degree drop.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pass427
on the other hand ill have to check with mods on this but we are working on our own ecu which will be able to control timing fuel ,basically a standalone incorporated with the stock ecu so all functions will still work and detonation should be a thing of the past as we would have full timing control and fuel control in cloosed loop..
i know libert and myself have been waiting on something like this as well as the supercharged community at an est 1275 plug and play .
Thats really good ...the price doesn't sound too bad for a plug and play, which would include harness and everything. I know how time consuming it can be.
Stand alones go for more than that I believe, and still have to crack them and wire them into the system.
Its probably too early for you to disclose, or even for me to ask, but just curious about what system are you guys working on?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Oil cooler is an awesome mod for a super/turbocharger.

I can't believe I forgot his name but the guy with the supercharged Accord coupe (I think that's part of his name) has an oil temp gauge so you may find some rough "before" temps from his setup. He has posted them on here before but you may have to dig very deep.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

I can't believe I forgot his name but the guy with the supercharged Accord coupe (I think that's part of his name) has an oil temp gauge so you may find some rough "before" temps from his setup. He has posted them on here before but you may have to dig very deep.
I think it's 04accordcpe
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
I think it's 04accordcpe
That's the one! I was kind of remembering it as I was typing the description but I couldn't remember the exact name. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Opel always glad to see you around I'll be up in Ny feb for Libert and I'm doing a full types build for another guy in Ny ,right now it's a little soon for full info but rest assure as I feel confident after testing I'll post up all info specs and functions ,this will be needed for high horsepower application to be have absolute full control over all engine parameters ..
Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I am running an extra quart, so about 6 QT in all. I don't know what the temps were prior to the cooler or pre cooler now, but I know it's around 160 at the cooler on the warm side after I park. I did the cooler and the UCM at the same time so the drop in manifold temp was amazing. 50-60 degree drop.
That's awesome. 6 qt is pretty good.

Yes I agree. This is something I have to do if I plan on going any higher with this car. As far as the oil Temp, I'm gonna wait for 04Accordcpe to post again, and not dig for 1 post amongst 5000 of them lol

Hey Opel always glad to see you around I'll be up in Ny feb for Libert and I'm doing a full types build for another guy in Ny ,right now it's a little soon for full info but rest assure as I feel confident after testing I'll post up all info specs and functions ,this will be needed for high horsepower application to be have absolute full control over all engine parameters ..
I understand, and no problem.
I've seen posts from you and Bert, about you shooting up here and helping with his tear down/build. I'm around as well, and I'd like to see his tear down. If you guys are up for the company, just let me know and I'd be more than glad to spin a few nuts and bolts lol
Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Pass, would there be any type of trade if we already have the FIC with external harness wired by paul?

Also, how long would you think till this is completed? I need a tune and would hate to waste $500 then buy your stand alone a week later.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The jands safeguard and knock monitor was been used during our months of testing so no one is really avoiding the knock discussion or that it was not monitored it has been and with our findings it was not deemed necessary at the power level which the kit is offered since we are all forgetting about this which I even recommended since this topic has been addressed before . Just an advice for anyone that will be using these units this needs to be installed and tested on a dyno and fine tuned as this is where you'll need to get it perfect or else this can and will become a nitemare .
Rodney: You got SN 001, the prototype of our eight channel box. I didn't know it at the time, but it had a missing etch that supplied 5v to some of the logic. The unit passed tests even though some of the chips were not powered up. Leakage currents from 5v input signals were enough to power up the chips during test, but that can't be relied upon, as evidenced by the driveability problems you described at the time.

The unit came back like a homing pigeon about a week later, and on the bench some of the channels were not working, so the coils connected to those channels wouldn't fire. I knew what the problem was by then, but it was too late.

I ran a Black Friday sale on a Ford Lightning forum, so I'm working through those orders, but I'll send you another unit after the first of the year if you want to try it again.

JohnP
Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Pass, would there be any type of trade if we already have the FIC with external harness wired by paul?

Also, how long would you think till this is completed? I need a tune and would hate to waste $500 then buy your stand alone a week later.
AS far as trades im not sure but im sure that shouldnt be problem to resell in classified as im sur a few guys are looking for that setup.

I try to give a date that will be reasonable to avoid dissapointments so if evryone can just give til january 5th ill can have a full update and most likely a release ...

THE unit would be able to control evry aspect of the motor while still maintaining all luxury function ,possibly rpm increase and mph limit removal also we are very close if evryone can work along with me for the next two weeks we will have a break thru ....

ill get some info as this will have some really nice feature example off boost air fuel target for cruising just a bunch of features that will come in very handy...
Old 12-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Juan Antonio
Rodney: You got SN 001, the prototype of our eight channel box. I didn't know it at the time, but it had a missing etch that supplied 5v to some of the logic. The unit passed tests even though some of the chips were not powered up. Leakage currents from 5v input signals were enough to power up the chips during test, but that can't be relied upon, as evidenced by the driveability problems you described at the time.

The unit came back like a homing pigeon about a week later, and on the bench some of the channels were not working, so the coils connected to those channels wouldn't fire. I knew what the problem was by then, but it was too late.

I ran a Black Friday sale on a Ford Lightning forum, so I'm working through those orders, but I'll send you another unit after the first of the year if you want to try it again.

JohnP

John glad to have you in the forum id love to get another box and test it out for high horsepower application and possibly setup a plug and play prewired unit for the tl, this would be great if you can email me at rodney@acratlturbo.com we can setup for me to try a new box thank you
Old 12-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

you can email me at rodney@acratlturbo.com
CORRECTION - This should be rodney@acuratlturbo.com
Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^Thank you..
Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 AM

Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I'm hoping the standalone is released soon
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 AM
18psi

awaiting updates myself... lol
Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
@libert69

Any updates with your engine? Did you at least get the old pistons pulled and inspect the block for damage? PM me your email address sometime and we can exchange engine pics.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
I'm hoping the standalone is released soon
awaiting updates myself... lol

Just got an update from rodney. He got the software back from the writer, and they will be testing in the next few days.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 AM
18psi

Not much going on right now except ordering a whole bunch of parts. Pistons, arp head studs, rod bearings, crank bearings, rod bolts, timing belt, washers, gaskets etc. Block is getting bored also

fuel rails, fpr, and a bosch inline with the walbro for a return setup. Plus a few other goodies...

Ill be sending/driving the car down to florida soon so rodney and his group can install everything in there shop. New turbo plumbing also

I know they are working with that new ecu and Im basically sold on that as well. Since im the only auto I want the car in their shop so they can test the compatibility of the new ecu with the auto. They have very high hopes for this new ecu.

Building boost off the line should be a thing of the past with this new unit
Old 01-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Safety Car

^ Thanks for the blog update Bert

Leaving the line with boost

Last edited by Inaccurate; 01-13-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM

That's awesome Bert! Keep us updated!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So what is the statues of the boosted Type-S?
I read the posts for the silver one, kidyosh I think was the screen name, but on the site there are pics of a black one.

Thanks ...great work so far...
Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
The latest type-s is in winter wonderland like I am and hasn't seen the pavement since the snow started flying.

I believe there are two out there so far.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

i will definetly get an update out for the weekend,forgive me for been off for a while but with the ecu testing and twin disc setup its been a little crazy..
innaccurate this ecu has some pretty cool features especially for your setup ,ill get updates asap ....
hi hate cars ,phee ,dave b,opel hows everyone cant forget you guys as everyone values your inputs........
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 037
037 Im pretty sure if we can get a car in we will fit one on it ...
if your interested you can email me at tl20046speed@yahoo.com
Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 AM
18psi

Here are the pistons. These are Rodneys that he just received. Mine should be here in a week or two but will be exactly the same

Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^cant wait to see ur beast when its done!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Safety Car

Stout piston! The skirts are thick and the overall piston is beefy, especially around the bosses. Wow. Looks like pistons for a diesel

What brand are these?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 AM
18psi

^wiesco
Old 01-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^wiesco

makes good stuff. you going to do anything else to the pistons? like a thermal barrier for the top, i know wiesco comes with a dry film lubricant on the skirts.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

Nice Bert!

What compression will this come out to when all is said and done?

Looks like it's almost a full skirt and as Inacc said, lots of meat in the pin area.

Did you guys change the pin height and use a longer rod by chance? The main reason I ask is I figured there would be a slight dish if compression was lowered into the 8-9 range.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:11 PM

damn those look beefy.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08