Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:19 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
You may try raising the trigger point to 4psi. Sometimes the hobbs switch or MAP sensor for the kit can be off by a lb or two and it may be causing the rich spike.

I'm assuming the brake switch is a normally on switch. Instead of unplugging it, you probably need to remove it and ziptie or rig up a way keep the switch off. The only way this would not work is if the ECU uses the VSS too.

One caution, I wouldn't use the cruise control since it won't release the throttle if you have to hit the brakes suddenly. I'm sure shifting to neutral would disable it. Don't know how the brake assist would work either not that it matters much.
Good idea about the brake pedal position switch. I suppose I could move the switch out the way so the pedal doesnt activate it but still keep it plugged in and see what happens. Ill have to wire something up so the brake lights still work if I want to use this on the street

I would still have to use the shift lock every time I wanted to shift from park to drive etc
Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i cant believe theres not a single one of you turbo guys running trouble free yet (/")__("\)

Originally Posted by pass427
I can do a video of 6 Sdp launch if that would help ....

ive only been waiting a year for this since the first time i asked you
Old 11-03-2010, 02:52 AM
18psi

Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
i cant believe theres not a single one of you turbo guys running trouble free yet (/")__("\)

6000+ boosted miles so far and not one major or minor problem. Getting off the line with the 5at is not a problem. Theres just room for improvement.

Are there problems with the 6mt that I havent heard about???

Stick to the supercharged threads since you never offer any good advice over here k? Bye

Last edited by libert69; 11-03-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by libert69
6000+ boosted miles so far and not one major or minor problem. Getting off the line with the 5at is not a problem. Theres just room for improvement.

Are there problems with the 6mt that I havent heard about???

Stick to the supercharged threads since you never offer any good advice over here k? Bye
lol, dont get your drawers in a ruffle... im not knocking the kit one bit, just referring to the tuning aspects ONLY havent been here for awhile and was hoping for some good news, that some of the bugs have been worked by now

in fact, i was just admiring some of the vids you posted ive always <3 turbos (wish i had one) -__-
Old 11-03-2010, 03:37 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

ps, you PM'd me awhile back regarding the meth kit nozzle sizes and i responded with my experience with it and recommendations... doesnt that count as giving good advise around here?

anyways, back on track and i really hope you guys get the tuning solution resolved! its a hurdle i hope you guys can overcome
Old 11-03-2010, 05:09 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
My car is doing great also. The tune I got was for 91 octane so it's alittle conservative, but no problems just not retarded power. I haven't had the time to get retuned, but 50 degree mornings are not treating me bad. I may end up flying Rodney out to get the final tune done since Churches is too far away.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

You are running perfectly with your setup? I'm not sure what your definition of trouble free is but my ride hasn't stranded me and runs smoothly enough that my wife doesn't complain. It's probably not running at the very optimum that it could but I expected it to be a work in progress.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I wouldn't call any of these things problems. It's more like optimizing what you have. From what I see, threre are no drivability issues. The 5at TL presents unique issues. Who would've thought the ECU would not allow powerbraking...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 AM
18psi

lol, dont get your drawers in a ruffle... im not knocking the kit one bit, just referring to the tuning aspects ONLY havent been here for awhile and was hoping for some good news, that some of the bugs have been worked by now

in fact, i was just admiring some of the vids you posted ive always <3 turbos (wish i had one) -__-
Well then disregard my post lmao
Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 AM
18psi

So in about 6 weeks I have gone through almost 4 gallons of water/meth with 2 100ml nozzles. I guess I drive too hard

Im planning on picking up a 5 gallon container of VP m1 methanol. Ive spoken with the techs at snow performance and they all say that the snow pump, lines etc are compatible with pure meth.

If I wanted to start with a different mixture then my current 50/50 (say 75meth/25water) what kind of water should I use?

Or should I stop being a pu$$y and just go 100% meth
Old 11-04-2010, 03:46 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by Hi speed
My car is doing great also. The tune I got was for 91 octane so it's alittle conservative, but no problems just not retarded power. I haven't had the time to get retuned, but 50 degree mornings are not treating me bad. I may end up flying Rodney out to get the final tune done since Churches is too far away.
my cars been loving the cooler weather lately too!!

but ya i hear ya,.. im pretty fortunate to have a local tuner like shawn around. hes been tuning my car over 4 years now

your not that far away though!! take a drive down one weekend trust me,,, it will be well worth the trip the guy is awesome!!

Originally Posted by KN_TL
You are running perfectly with your setup? I'm not sure what your definition of trouble free is but my ride hasn't stranded me and runs smoothly enough that my wife doesn't complain. It's probably not running at the very optimum that it could but I expected it to be a work in progress.
haha, its always a good thing when it passes the wifey test

but ya, what i really meant was that i was hoping to see at least one of you guys running a strong tune at its FULL potential by now, without any hiccups... i figured fine tuning would be the biggest battle =/

as for my setup, its been running PERFECTLY on the same tune for the last 1 1/2 years now. i still get a little closed to open loop transition stumblings at 1/2-3/4 throttle when its hot out, but its not a big deal. i really wish one of you guys lived out here, cause it would be interesting to see what kind of power shawn church can squeeze out of one of these monsters O_O

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 11-04-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

So in about 6 weeks I have gone through almost 4 gallons of water/meth with 2 100ml nozzles. I guess I drive too hard

Im planning on picking up a 5 gallon container of VP m1 methanol. Ive spoken with the techs at snow performance and they all say that the snow pump, lines etc are compatible with pure meth.

If I wanted to start with a different mixture then my current 50/50 (say 75meth/25water) what kind of water should I use?

oh trust me, i go through my fair share of meth when i mash on the throttle too.. where do you buy yours? and for how much?

i cant really answer much on using pure meth, since ive only used 50/50 the whole time... as for what water to use with a richer mix, i figured distilled will still suffice (but dont quote me on that lol) ihc's might have an answer for you...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

my cars been loving the cooler weather lately too!!

but ya i hear ya,.. im pretty fortunate to have a local tuner like shawn around. hes been tuning my car over 4 years now

your not that far away though!! take a drive down one weekend trust me,,, it will be well worth the trip the guy is awesome!!

haha, its always a good thing when it passes the wifey test

but ya, what i really meant was that i was hoping to see at least one of you guys running a strong tune at its FULL potential by now, without any hiccups... i figured fine tuning would be the biggest battle =/

as for my setup, its been running PERFECTLY on the same tune for the last 1 1/2 years now. i still get a little closed to open loop transition stumblings at 1/2-3/4 throttle when its hot out, but its not a big deal. i really wish one of you guys lived out here, cause it would be interesting to see what kind of power shawn church can squeeze out of one of these monsters O_O
I have the same stumble but other than that it runs great. I am still running on the same tune that Rodney sent me and once I got the right plugs, the drivability is the same as before. The vibrations from the mounts and the stinky exhaust is the only thing I notice other than the increase in performance.

I've had a lot of priorities that have taken all time away from finishing up and getting it to the dyno but even with that, I am not too confident that anyone in my area can do both closed and open loop tuning. So I am hitting the books right now and I am working on getting my carputer installed so I have a logger at the ready.

Now I can look forward to freezing temps and salty roads so work will basically cease until March or April. I wish I lived in an area that didn't have bad winters but the good up here is worth putting up with the bad.

Last edited by KN_TL; 11-04-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
is distilled a wise choice? this may have nothing to do with cars but i know that distilled water doesnt boil unless a particle is introdued to it. when the particle is introduced, it boils explosively.

would that have any effect on combustion?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

not sure about the water either however i will say that by using 100% methanol, u may require a different tune as you may encounter some engine damage being that ur tune is setup for a 50/50 meth mix. i could be wrong but its worth researching
Old 11-04-2010, 05:20 PM
18psi

oh trust me, i go through my fair share of meth when i mash on the throttle too.. where do you buy yours? and for how much?

i cant really answer much on using pure meth, since ive only used 50/50 the whole time... as for what water to use with a richer mix, i figured distilled will still suffice (but dont quote me on that lol) ihc's might have an answer for you...
Theres a speed shop by me that has vp m1 meth 5 gallons for 45.

Originally Posted by phee
is distilled a wise choice? this may have nothing to do with cars but i know that distilled water doesnt boil unless a particle is introdued to it. when the particle is introduced, it boils explosively.

My reading has suggested that distilled water is what to use. IDK the answer to your question

Originally Posted by djbonsu
not sure about the water either however i will say that by using 100% methanol, u may require a different tune as you may encounter some engine damage being that ur tune is setup for a 50/50 meth mix. i could be wrong but its worth researching
This is true. However my tune was never setup to be run with meth or water/meth. I started spraying water/meth about a month after the riginal tune. The a/f richened up a tad throughout the powerband but nothing that would require a new tune.

I believe pure meth will richen the tune even more then water/meth so Ill start with 75/25 and go from there
Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 PM
runnin a little boost

My only concern about running straight meth or even mixing it is the toxicity. I haven't installed my kit yet but was thinking the same thing about spiking the mixure with a little higher meth concentration. I just got spooked by the handling instructions.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Team Owner

Theres a speed shop by me that has vp m1 meth 5 gallons for 45.

My reading has suggested that distilled water is what to use. IDK the answer to your question

This is true. However my tune was never setup to be run with meth or water/meth. I started spraying water/meth about a month after the riginal tune. The a/f richened up a tad throughout the powerband but nothing that would require a new tune.

I believe pure meth will richen the tune even more then water/meth so Ill start with 75/25 and go from there
It will richen it slightly but you will still gain power since meth burns and water does not. You can get away with a richer mixture on meth than gasoline before it starts costing big power.

Don't be spooked by pure meth. It's really not as bad as you think. I've been using it since '99 and only once did I have an issue and that was a friend's car (the Brabus CL565) that had the meth installed by a stereo shop. It was spraying meth into the trunk/passenger compartment and it took a couple weeks to feel any effects. This thing was spraying a gallon every 2-3 runs, nearly an open hose right into the trunk. Proper installation can cover nearly every safety issue. Common sense (going through a gallon every 15 seconds at WOT) will cover the rest.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:50 PM
18psi

My only concern about running straight meth or even mixing it is the toxicity. I haven't installed my kit yet but was thinking the same thing about spiking the mixure with a little higher meth concentration. I just got spooked by the handling instructions.
Just curious, did you ever get the problems with connecting to the fic figured out?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM
18psi

IHC, since pure meth burns and water does not, Im thinking Ill be able to run bigger nozzles? What do you think? If you recall, I was having misfire problems with bigger nozzles but that was with 50/50...and with the new maps, Im turning the boost up to 10psi
Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by phee

It is not because it is distilled water. Tap water will violently boil too if all solid microscopic particulars are filtered out of the tap water. Happens to me sometime making coffee when I use tap water from my filtered tap.

Violent boiling is not because it is distilled water. It is because the water has no microscopic particulars in the water. Water will become superheated, refusing to boil, without a solid particle to act as a seed, around which the water will initiate boiling.

You are right however about the violent boiling. Once the superheated water does begin to boil, it will do so violently.

The main point is that this topic of superheated water and "seeds" does not apply to water injection into engines. The a/f mixture is far from being sterile and free of dust particles. Plenty of dust to act as seeds.

BTW - If it was me, I would use only distilled water. Distilled water is pure water, chemically speaking. All other forms of water have minerals dissolved into the water. Those minerals will form solid particles upon the evaporation of the water. Where are those solid minerals going to end up? I don't know and I won't want to have to worry about that aspect.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 11-04-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
BTW - If it was me, I would use only distilled water. Distilled water is pure water, chemically speaking. All other forms of water have minerals dissolved into the water. Those minerals will form solid particles upon the evaporation of the water. Where are those solid minerals going to end up? I don't know and I won't want to have to worry about that aspect.
Exactly. In time the solids will come out and it's usually in the worst place like the nozzle or pump inlet. I use distilled in my windshield wiper reservior (no worries about freezing here), and radiator.

My experience with an actual water mix is limited to second hand experience from friends. I used rubbing alky starting with the 50/50 mix then the 70/30 and eventually 91/9 before going with meth. I have to assume the water in the iso alky is distilled???
Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 PM
18psi

another question....When mixing meth and water, can you simply add 3 quarts meth to 1 quart water to get your 75/25 mix? Are you supposed to mix by volume or weight?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

another question....When mixing meth and water, can you simply add 3 quarts meth to 1 quart water to get your 75/25 mix? Are you supposed to mix by volume or weight?
I've honestly never mixed it but I've read that it's mixed by volume. I think it's as simple as you stated. Just put the meth in first.......and forget the water lol.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
runnin a little boost

Just curious, did you ever get the problems with connecting to the fic figured out?
I still can't hook up to the Fic, I'm waiting on getting a new computer to try again. My tune is very good but anything above 4 psi pulls too much timing. I tried out a new fic from Rodney but it was just misfiring and going crazy lean. I would love to get my tune fixed but I have no time. I'm working on making a camera mount so I can get some gauge shots for people to see.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

I'm considering using straight meth even though I have like 6 gallons of premix.

I am using my windshield washer tank as my injection tank so the exposure to the passenger compartment is not a problem. Like HiSpeed says, I am still freaked out about how toxic this stuff is.

But I want to get some logging going on both the stock and aftermarket sensors so I can get a good base of what I am seeing with my driving habits first.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I've honestly never mixed it but I've read that it's mixed by volume. I think it's as simple as you stated. Just put the meth in first.......and forget the water lol.
LOL. small steps
Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 PM
18psi

I still can't hook up to the Fic, I'm waiting on getting a new computer to try again. My tune is very good but anything above 4 psi pulls too much timing. I tried out a new fic from Rodney but it was just misfiring and going crazy lean. I would love to get my tune fixed but I have no time. I'm working on making a camera mount so I can get some gauge shots for people to see.
I got a new laptop with windows 7 64bit. Just installing the fic software would not allow me to connect to the fic. I had to download the drivers and install them separately. Did you ever do that?

Speaking of camera mounts, I just fabbed one up. Ill get some pics later

Last edited by libert69; 11-04-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 PM
runnin a little boost

I got a new laptop with windows 7 64bit. Just installing the fic software would not allow me to connect to the fic. I had to download the drivers and install them separately. Did you ever do that?

I don't know how to install stuff separately. I'm not as computer savvy as I would like. I remember seeing hex files that I couldn't figure out what to do with. My Fic is wired in strangely also since my harness was messed up. I don't have vtec control, something I plan on fixing once I get time to tune.
I need someone who is willing to street tune and that's not easy.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

Are you supposed to mix by volume or weight?
Volume. I doubt many guys would be anal enough to weigh the liquids. Remember, we are talking about very general and rough percentages that are just wags to begin with.

With the less and less percent of water in the overall mixture, I think that you will discover that the engine is less sensitive to spraying too much. In other words, it is the water that drowns out the spark. With less water, and hopefully no water, you will not be drowning out your spark.

Off topic but still on topic - This is another reason that methanol is a natural to be used with nitrous instead of gasoline. An engine can tolerate a lot of over richness with methanol without hurting power. This should apply to your turbo too.

Future videos
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KN_TL
....once I got the right plugs....
What plugs are you using now?

Sorry for the bum advice on the Zex plugs that I gave a few months ago.

I purchased a set of Zex plugs too. But after hearing how much trouble they have been on the TL, I will not be installing them.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 AM
18psi

I don't know how to install stuff separately. I'm not as computer savvy as I would like. I remember seeing hex files that I couldn't figure out what to do with. My Fic is wired in strangely also since my harness was messed up. I don't have vtec control, something I plan on fixing once I get time to tune.
I need someone who is willing to street tune and that's not easy.

first, uninstall the fic software

goto this thread on the aem forums

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php?topic=20462.0 (does the link work?)

download the file in the first post labeled FTDI_USB_Driver.zip

unzip the file CDM20600.exe but dont click it yet

re-install the fic 6 software, but dont open the program yet

after the fic software installs, then double click the file you unzipped (cdm20600.exe) it will install itself

Connect your fic the computer and let the computer install the drivers

Open the fic software, open one of your tunes, then try to connect to the fic

does this work?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:24 AM
18psi

Volume. I doubt many guys would be anal enough to weigh the liquids. Remember, we are talking about very general and rough percentages that are just wags to begin with.

With the less and less percent of water in the overall mixture, I think that you will discover that the engine is less sensitive to spraying too much. In other words, it is the water that drowns out the spark. With less water, and hopefully no water, you will not be drowning out your spark.

Off topic but still on topic - This is another reason that methanol is a natural to be used with nitrous instead of gasoline. An engine can tolerate a lot of over richness with methanol without hurting power. This should apply to your turbo too.

Future videos
Thats what I was thinking too. The whole idea of putting the fire out.

I would love to make some videos of some street races, but I havent had a race a in a long time

Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Safety Car

Be sure to practice taking vids. Go ahead and record some pretend races. You will be amazed at all sorts of troubles that will arise. Camera getting the exposure wrong, getting the focus wrong, glare, etc. You will learn what are terrible angles to shoot from. Usually it is better to have your opponent on your passenger side.

With the real race, you get one chance to record it. Practice now to learn the mistakes. Also, the more you practice, the easier it will be to operate the camera so that you we be able to focus more of your attention on driving the car under pressure ("pressure" pun intended ).

And thanks for taking the time to post the pics of your video setup

Last edited by Inaccurate; 11-05-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 AM
18psi

For those who are interested

Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Safety Car

What plugs are you using now?

Sorry for the bum advice on the Zex plugs that I gave a few months ago.

I purchased a set of Zex plugs too. But after hearing how much trouble they have been on the TL, I will not be installing them.
Ended up with a set of NGK 5068's that were stocked at the local AdvanceAuto. I've only driven a few hundred miles on them and haven't had a chance to take a read but the drivability is 1000x better.

That was an education in itself trying to figure out what heat range goes with each manufacturer.

No worries on the advice. The claims were too hard to resist. If I worried about all of the things that are sitting in a box or thrown away because I bought what I thought would work, I would have given up on this project long ago.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 AM
runnin a little boost

I will check this out today. Thanks Bert.

first, uninstall the fic software

goto this thread on the aem forums

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php?topic=20462.0 (does the link work?)

download the file in the first post labeled FTDI_USB_Driver.zip

unzip the file CDM20600.exe but dont click it yet

re-install the fic 6 software, but dont open the program yet

after the fic software installs, then double click the file you unzipped (cdm20600.exe) it will install itself

Connect your fic the computer and let the computer install the drivers

Open the fic software, open one of your tunes, then try to connect to the fic

does this work?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:54 AM
18psi

I went with a 80/20 meth/water mix. 2.5gal tank, 8qts meth 2qts water Next tank Ill try 100% meth

A/F richen'd up about .4 across the board. 2nd gear feels stronger and the video proves it compared to the older vid with 50/50. Plus im spinning like crazy in the top of 2nd. IAT drops seemed about the same as before but maybe a tad more. I normally see IAT's of 55-65 when cruising on the highway since the outside temp is around 45°

No bucking or bogging anywhere. No misfires either.

Im wondering if I should go back to the bigger nozzles. Maybe ill wait to I start using pure meth. Opinions?
Ran into a 05-06 GTO. (It had the ram air hood and modified rear bumper cover reading GTO leaving me to believe it was the 05-06 400HP 400TQ). I also heard him downshift so im thinking it was the 6spd. Unless they have SS like we do...IDK. Unknown other mods

I was in SS mode

3 honks from 60-130. Forgot to take the video even though the camera was on the seat next to me. I got too excited lol

He inched forward about a foot after the 3rd honk because I didnt brake boost. I started pulling away as soon as the boost hit and all the way to 130. Finished up with about 3-4 car lengths ahead of him

I was happy.

From a dig it would have been interesting but I feel I would of still come out on top
Old 11-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Wow nice kill. Making me want one bad
Old 11-06-2010, 07:29 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
very nice.

may have also had to do with the specific gear the guy was in. 4 lengths is no joke.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08