Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
Hey guys. I was away for the past week on a cruise so no driving for me.

Before I left last saturday I turned the VSA off and did 2 WOT runs from 40mph in auto mode to redline and I did not hit the rev limiter. Ill have to do more runs with the vsa off to see if that solves the rev limiter problem.

Racing ATF is still good and bright pink.

I pulled up next to a brand new audi s8 last week on the highway. The guy looked over at me, hit the throttle a little bit and the roar scarred the piss out of me lol. My exit was coming up but Im sure I would of seen nothing but taillights.

Daily driving is just like a normal TL as long as your out of boost. Even driving in traffic hasnt changed at all.

I still need to get this 2nd bung welded into the intake pipe before I use the WM. Hopefully monday Ill take care of that.

That's great news! I'm so glad that the 5at is holding for you.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
+1 awesome news to hear about the 5at on boost with the TypeF fluid
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

? does this tune with the turbo remove the top speed rev limiter? or is this just a piggyback to stock ECU? I'm sure its on here somewhere but didnt know if I did or not....Last time I check there still wasnt a chip that removed the governor or bump up rpm's?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
? does this tune with the turbo remove the top speed rev limiter? or is this just a piggyback to stock ECU? I'm sure its on here somewhere but didnt know if I did or not....Last time I check there still wasnt a chip that removed the governor or bump up rpm's?

No the tune doesn't alter the rev or speed limiter. Rev limit might good to raise with the right valvetrane, but the speed limit atleast for the 6 speeds is 155 mph.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Only those that don't know much about forced induction.
zing
Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hi speed
No the tune doesn't alter the rev or speed limiter. Rev limit might good to raise with the right valvetrane, but the speed limit atleast for the 6 speeds is 155 mph.
Yeah another reason why I wanted to 6spd...but thankx good info..unfortunately the TL-S 5at only goes to 135ish mph before cutting
Old 08-31-2010, 05:49 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
So I had to replace the 60a innovative bushing because it was deformed pretty bad. I had an 85a standing by for replacement but I didnt know that the bushings needed to be pushed in by a press. So instead of putting the deformed 60a bushing back in, I used the new 60a bushings from the rear mount. 4 days later I had the 85a bushings pressed in and I installed them on the car.

This is a brand new 60a bushing after 4 days of use. In those 4 days the car probably saw WOT in 2nd and 3rd gear maybe 6 or 7 times. I really hope this 85a stands up to the power otherwise Ill be trying a 95a

Oh yea, the car is driving great also.

Pulled about 10 car lengths on a gs400 from a 65 roll to 105

Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 PM
runnin a little boost

Why aren't you using the xlr8 engine mounts all around? Mine seem to be holding up well. I just came to me recently that the exhaust is soo much quieter with the turbo.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 PM
18psi

^Because the bracket for the front mount broke and Im still waiting for Josh to send me a new bracket.

I noticed that about the exhaust as well. When Im cruising on the highway around 70mph the car sounds almost stock. Its actually quieter now with the turbo when not in boost then before.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Libert,kn,hi-speed hows everyone car doing so far ? An update would be great good or bad .and also how was support from jandr for questions answers and problems...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Team Owner

^Because the bracket for the front mount broke and Im still waiting for Josh to send me a new bracket.

I noticed that about the exhaust as well. When Im cruising on the highway around 70mph the car sounds almost stock. Its actually quieter now with the turbo when not in boost then before.
That's what I love about the turbos. They act as a muffler when not in boost.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by pass427
Libert,kn,hi-speed hows everyone car doing so far ? An update would be great good or bad .and also how was support from jandr for questions answers and problems...
I love the car. No problems (except a cel for too rich). Drives fine. Transmission is holding up nicely and the fluid is still bright pink. Rodney is definitely there to answer your questions very fast via txt or phone call.

Rodney, I sent you the fuel map last week. Did you get a chance to correct the stuttering around 3000 rpms?

Question about building boost in lean conditions. As we already know, partial throttle and boost is a problem since we havent been able to tune closed-loop yet. (Patiently awaiting bmeyer's project)

Do we want to completely avoid partial throttle and some boost right now? For example in my 5AT, downshifting to 4th gear at 70mph with partial throttle will build up to 6psi by 3500rpms but the a/f bounces around 14.2-15.3. These a/f numbers are pretty much the same for all partial throttle scenarios. I know this is way lean but is it extremely dangerous and should it be avoided?

Should it be WOT only?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Team Owner

If the manifold is seeing near full boost, it doesn't matter what the throttle position is, the AF needs to be the same as full throttle. On my turbo car in the old days before the wideband, I used a resistor that told the ECU I was at full throttle whenever I went 50% or greater to avoid just this condition. Unfortunately with the DBW I doubt that's possible.

Avoid these conditions for sure. Are you getting any kind of compressor surge under these conditions. Usually when you have a mostly closed throttle and it starts building a lot of boost you will get surge.

Are you getting your boost guage signal from the intake manifold or pre-throttlebody?

Where are you taking the BOV signal from? Assuming it has two vacuum ports, you can change the arrangement with a pre-throttlebody and post throttlebody input than can make it blow off when boost tries to go too high at part throttle. It's not the ideal way to do it since it has the potential to overspeed the turbo but it can save a motor.

Another reason bmeyer's project is so important here.

That's awesome the trans is holding up.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 AM
runnin a little boost

My car is running great, I don't have any part throttle issues that I know of. The car pulls like a freight train in 5th gear, but wot in 4th or lower gears feels like it's holding back full power. It feels almost like the car says you don't need this much power right now, we are just going to smoke the tires. My car seems to like the 3-5k rpm with the power falling off after 5k. The overall feel of the car is much improved even over the supercharger. It accelerates more easily from a stop or roll and basicly will pull as hard as conditions or you want. I have only had problems when really pushing the car asking for every last pony to show up and it doesn't want to snap to the redline. I am mixing 100 octane race gas and the 91 octane we have in Cali about 50/50 maybe 1/3 race gas to 2/3 91 if I'm commuting alot. I try to keep the octane in about the 94-95 range just to be safe. I'm also sitting on some sticky tires and rarely turn off the traction control, so some of my issues might be the TC detecting spin.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Libert I did get your email I'll definetly take a look and do some adjustment and send it back to you ,yes definelty use wot for boosting conditions , I'm waiting to see what bymer comes up with but on another note we also have an option of getting a piggy back ecu made specificly for our cars that would eliminate all cel tuneable for partial throttle ect ,but this would require a group buy of a sort and yes this would work for the supercharger guys as well we've been working just to get the company to agree to make this product for us which they've agreed to do ,so we do have an option to solve these issues .
Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Hi Rodney. I'm able to drive it but it definitely needs a tune. Also need to get a shield or blanket for the turbo to contain some of the heat.

The TL bucket is pretty empty cash wise so I am just going to finish up my exhaust and get it tuned. That'll be it for a little while.

As far as quality and service, I haven't ever experienced better. The kit was very well put together and doing the install was a lot of fun. From a mechanical perspective everything has held together perfectly. From a support perspective you also can't ask for anything more. You responded immediately with any question I had. If I had to do it all over again, I would.

I do have a question for you about boost control. I have an AEM Tru-boost. SPR set to 1 and duty cycle on both A and B set to it's lowest setting of 10. The boost comes on nicely but it goes well about 7lbs to at least double that. I haven't kept my foot into it because I don't want to go too high. Can you give me a baseline of what settings should be used?

I am also using silicone tubing. Do you think maybe that get's too soft with all the heat that is involved?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Speaking of the O2 module... Rodney, you interested in beta testing a unit for me sometime in the near future?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^^^Bmeyer I'd love to test one of your unit anytime your ready just let me know thanks.....

Kn thanks for the feedback but one thing us alarming is boost level should not be above 6-7 psi I'm hoping your plumbing is correct ,when you say double were not talking 14 psi right ? I'm really concerned if you're seeing anymore than 8 psi as this would pose a problem ,but also check that boost controller is reading psi in settings a default setting of 2.00 on spring pressure is ok ,but if your seeing a large amount of psi email me and let's get this sorted out ,otherwise seems like everyone is doing ok so far ..kn a turbo blanket is definetly recommended I think Libert can dwell on this as he purchased one also ....

I've been running a heat sheild that we will be offereing for especially the superchargers ,turbo and al motors guys as the Tl generates a lot of heat soak in al motor form I'll post pics later on ,it works wonder absorbs heat keeps iat down also ,the Ferrari race team uses this same heat sheild for there road racing cars....
Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 PM
18psi

If the manifold is seeing near full boost, it doesn't matter what the throttle position is, the AF needs to be the same as full throttle. On my turbo car in the old days before the wideband, I used a resistor that told the ECU I was at full throttle whenever I went 50% or greater to avoid just this condition. Unfortunately with the DBW I doubt that's possible.

Avoid these conditions for sure. Are you getting any kind of compressor surge under these conditions. Usually when you have a mostly closed throttle and it starts building a lot of boost you will get surge.

Are you getting your boost guage signal from the intake manifold or pre-throttlebody?

Where are you taking the BOV signal from? Assuming it has two vacuum ports, you can change the arrangement with a pre-throttlebody and post throttlebody input than can make it blow off when boost tries to go too high at part throttle. It's not the ideal way to do it since it has the potential to overspeed the turbo but it can save a motor.

Another reason bmeyer's project is so important here.

That's awesome the trans is holding up.
Yes Im experiencing surge under these conditions. The boost gauge signal is coming from the manifold. I can only see 1 vacuum line going to the bov and that line comes directly from the manifold after the first T fitting.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by pass427
Libert I did get your email I'll definetly take a look and do some adjustment and send it back to you ,yes definelty use wot for boosting conditions , I'm waiting to see what bymer comes up with but on another note we also have an option of getting a piggy back ecu made specificly for our cars that would eliminate all cel tuneable for partial throttle ect ,but this would require a group buy of a sort and yes this would work for the supercharger guys as well we've been working just to get the company to agree to make this product for us which they've agreed to do ,so we do have an option to solve these issues .
Lets hope Bmeyer solves the issues and help our own, but if anything happens what would something like this run for our cars?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Lets hope Bmeyer solves the issues and help our own, but if anything happens what would something like this run for our cars?
I'm feeling confident in the work I've done. I just need to get a beta unit out to some guys that are able to throw their car on the dyno and tune with it. Then I'll be able to go into full production with the modules.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-269508.aspx
would that me compatible with the AEM F/IC 6? I pretty much read the whole thread in the past few days and came thru some pages where some of us auto 5spd owners are having problems with transmission but i am hoping i am not a victim of one of those since i have an 06 model :X
I am currently piecing my turbo kit together since most of my friends here in VABeach are boosted
Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by a.patel
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-269508.aspx
would that me compatible with the AEM F/IC 6? I pretty much read the whole thread in the past few days and came thru some pages where some of us auto 5spd owners are having problems with transmission but i am hoping i am not a victim of one of those since i have an 06 model :X
I am currently piecing my turbo kit together since most of my friends here in VABeach are boosted
@a.patel

That's the harness that you need, though you will need someone to tie in the connections from the F/IC for you. NVA-AV6 (Paul) can do the work for you. I'd ping him on here and see what his going rate is. Though if you buy the kit from J&R, I believe this is already included.

Last edited by bmeyer; 09-07-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Advanced

yes i was looking on jandr webstore and saw their going price was close to $800 so i decided to check xlr8s store.

anyways,
http://jandrnextlevelperformance.com...parts/aem-fic/
does this include the "tied in version?"
Mind if i get more detail on any extra modifications that need to be done on the harness because i think i might know someone here to do it but in order for that to happen, i am going to have to explain to them what needs to be done.

are most of you guys running same size turbo as Garrett t4 series? i have one laying around from my last car.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Pro

Just FYI, that item on J&R's website is the harness, F/IC and all of the connections completed.

If you buy just the extension harness, that doesn't get you anything except another 12" in your stock harness. The correct splices need to be made in order to make the F/IC work with your car.

Either way you'll need someone to make the necessary connections for you. Why not give the money to the guy that took the time to figure out how everything should be connected in the first place? Trust me, it's no easy task to figure that s%&t out. Help out the community here.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Advanced

thanks bmeyer. that is exactly was i was trying to figure out if it was possible for just any electronic wiz to do it or would it be better to go through our acurazine community.

I am well aware of the harness being sold alone without the F/IC box itself. I guess i will be contacting paul to get this sorted out once i have the harness in my hand. lol i wish jandr would just sell the harness as a seperate piece.. oh and same goes towards to the exhaust piping (downpipe) for the turbo. Where did you turbo members find the correct flange for our cast on headers?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Advanced

NVA-AV6 what is your going rate for pinning and slicing mods on the harness+piggyback?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

If you email Rodney I am sure he will get you anything you want. As was said, he used Paul to provide us with a plug and play harness.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:39 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
NVA-AV6 what is your going rate for pinning and slicing mods on the harness+piggyback?
since i keep in contact with paul alot i can tell u right now don't expect a response right away. he is currently up to his neck in work. he has already a couple orders from individuals getting a custom m90 supercharger kit made from him. plus numerous other v6net members are getting stroker engines built by him.

any work u need done he can do, other than fiberglass and painting.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

are most of you guys running same size turbo as Garrett t4 series? i have one laying around from my last car.

"T4" covers a W I D E range of turbos. It's about as vague of a description as you can get. What you want is a Garrett "GT" boosted series which also covers a very wide range but it will get you the latest and greatest turbine and compressor wheel technology. The turbo offered in the TL's kit is perfectly sized and is one of the Garrett GTs. A PTE 61 to be exact.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by bmeyer
I'm feeling confident in the work I've done. I just need to get a beta unit out to some guys that are able to throw their car on the dyno and tune with it. Then I'll be able to go into full production with the modules.
I am getting a tune in october.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 AM
18psi

I believe this is the company rodney is referring too

http://www.hydraems.com/
Old 09-13-2010, 06:10 AM
18psi

meth question

I have the meth kit all hooked up but Im not currently using it. We were going to wait until the next tune to make the a/f as close to perfect as possible. However, I dont know when the next tune is going to happen and its annoying me that I have this meth kit just sitting there and not being used.

So with that said, I would like to run the meth kit without fine tuning it on the dyno. Maybe I can even street tune it for now. Remember, we are not going to tune for the meth but rather just use it for the increase in octane and to prevent detonation.

Max boost Ive seen is 8.6psi. What psi should I set the controller to start spraying and what psi should be full pump pressure?

Since partial throttle is making me run way lean, is spraying the meth going to richen that up a little bit? Ive seen as much as 6psi with partial throttle.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Team Owner

meth question

I have the meth kit all hooked up but Im not currently using it. We were going to wait until the next tune to make the a/f as close to perfect as possible. However, I dont know when the next tune is going to happen and its annoying me that I have this meth kit just sitting there and not being used.

So with that said, I would like to run the meth kit without fine tuning it on the dyno. Maybe I can even street tune it for now. Remember, we are not going to tune for the meth but rather just use it for the increase in octane and to prevent detonation.

Max boost Ive seen is 8.6psi. What psi should I set the controller to start spraying and what psi should be full pump pressure?

Since partial throttle is making me run way lean, is spraying the meth going to richen that up a little bit? Ive seen as much as 6psi with partial throttle.
I would have the trigger set for 1-2psi. It will definately help out your lean condition. You may not need an official tune after you get the meth spraying since you're running lean already. You can get the AF spot on with meth adjustments. Just keep in mind you're target AF will be just a tiny bit richer when adding fuel with meth. 11.5 is not a bad place to start.

If spool starts to suffer, either back off the meth if it's rich enough or set the trigger point higher.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
18psi

I would have the trigger set for 1-2psi. It will definately help out your lean condition. You may not need an official tune after you get the meth spraying since you're running lean already. You can get the AF spot on with meth adjustments. Just keep in mind you're target AF will be just a tiny bit richer when adding fuel with meth. 11.5 is not a bad place to start.

If spool starts to suffer, either back off the meth if it's rich enough or set the trigger point higher.
How about the max? Do I want to spray 100% as close as possible to my max boost of 8.5ish or few lbs lower. Im sure Ill need to adjust it a few times but whats a good starting psi for max spray?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM
18psi

I got the meth up and running. I started with 2 100ml nozzles. Snow recommends 375ml for my power level. The controller dials are a bit tricky to get precise numbers so Ive been trying to check the boost the gauge as soon as the green led comes on. The pump starts spraying around 2psi and I have max spray set to 5psi.

MID said outside temp was 76*
IATs while cruising at 65mph were 88*
A 3rd gear pull to redline showed IATs dropping to 72* by the end of 3rd
With no meth in the same situation, the IAT's were 100*

Should I be seeing a bigger drop in IAT's? I dont feel any bucking/bogging when the meth starts spraying or near redline. Should I try bigger nozzles?

Inaccurates method on venting the tank
Non-vented cap with a hose routed underneath the car. All connections sealed with Goop sealant.

Best position for the pump to avoid any sharp bends

Dual nozzle setup for even distribution. Thanks Inaccurate and IHC

Yellow led - Low level indicator
Green led - Pump power
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Team Owner

It's doing ok. Your IATs are lower under boost than ambient so that's a good thing. Can you feel any difference in power with the meth? It wouldn't hurt to start ramping it up until you feel power drop and the back off just a little.

For some reason I thought you had the alkycontrol kit. Is your kit progressive or is it a two stage? How does the AF look when it's spraying and is this 100% meth or water/meth?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
18psi

It's doing ok. Your IATs are lower under boost than ambient so that's a good thing. Can you feel any difference in power with the meth? It wouldn't hurt to start ramping it up until you feel power drop and the back off just a little.

For some reason I thought you had the alkycontrol kit. Is your kit progressive or is it a two stage? How does the AF look when it's spraying and is this 100% meth or water/meth?
Its hard to tell if there was an increase in power. I couldnt feel the car pulling harder then normal but I only went for a short drive. However, the bov sounded louder then normal

The a/f gauge was sticking at 14.7 again. I need to spray the sensor with some brake cleaner again.

My kit is progressive. The starting boost level is 10% of the pumps max pressure. Max boost level on the controller is 100%

Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM
runnin a little boost

Is anyone running an air filter, I'm in Mexico so I have had some time to look a super street,Honda tuning, and import tuner mags while keeping the cervez's coming and I see some good options for air filters in tight spaces. My tuner said forget the filter but I'm a little concerned about it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Safety Car

I've been running a filter with some issues but since I am not tuned yet, I am not sure if that is the reason. I'd rather have some performance degradation by running one vs not.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08