2010 TSX - V6 engine confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
OH SNAP, how did you get so clear images?

It doesnt look like the front of the car has changed. Looks exactly like mine thats sitting in the parking lot right now.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I think it's a CPO TSX. They always have at least one CPO at the shows.

Looks like this event isn't happening till 3pm CT. I was hoping for ET!! Now I'm going to be in a meeting when the excitement is unveiled.
What does CPO stand for?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
OH SNAP, how did you get so clear images?

It doesnt look like the front of the car has changed. Looks exactly like mine thats sitting in the parking lot right now.

Zoomed in... look at the EPA. That's the I4.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by darmok
Sorry guys but the Acura event is on the grand concourse media stage, not at the Acura booth. (According to the schedule on the auto show site at least.) So we won't be able to watch it live on the cameras.
Aww, shucks. I guess we'll have to wait for some updates, then.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
What does CPO stand for?
certified pre-owned
Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's an article from Popular Mechanics but it's a typically inaccurate media article - since when has the TSX ever had a 5-speed manual?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

They say it won't be offered with 6MT. So much for that.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wackura
They say it won't be offered with 6MT. So much for that.
Doesn't put me off. Did they fix the steering?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post Article

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4303282.html

2010 Acura TSX V6: 2009 Chicago Auto—Modern Muscle, 280 HP in Acura's Smallest Sedan

Chicago—The 2009 Acura TSX is a rewarding sedan with one of the slickest five-speed manual transmissions on the market. But it is not a quick ride. That changes with the TSX V6 scheduled to go on sale this summer. It will come equipped with a 280-hp 3.5-liter V6.

The V6-powered TSX will fill a gap in Acura's lineup between the four-cylinder TSX and the larger TL sport sedan that moved a notch upscale after its redesign this year. The bad news for manual transmission fans is that this V6 will be coupled solely to Acura's sequential SportShift automatic transmission. Still, that SportShift transmission can also be operated manually via steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Acura says the new TSX V6 has exclusive suspension tuning and18-in. split five-spoke aluminum wheels, fitted with Michelin Pilot all-season tires. The V6 also has a slightly revised front fascia and a V6 badge on the trunk.

Standard equipment will include a leather interior, power moonroof, automatic climate control, a seven-speaker sound system with CD, AM/FM tuner, XM satellite radio, Bluetooth , a USB port and AUX-jack music interface. Like the less expensive four-cylinder TSX, the V6 model will be available with the optional Technology package that includes a satellite navigation system with rearview camera and the ELS premium audio system.

Acura says the introduction of the TSX V6 is the first step in a series of major improvements to the entire 2010 Acura model lineup. —Jim McCraw
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX69
The bad news for manual transmission fans is that this V6 will be coupled solely to Acura's sequential SportShift automatic transmission. Still, that SportShift transmission can also be operated manually via steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
What a crock. I wanted a high torque, fuel sipping, 6MT i-DTEC TSX and they delivered a fuel guzzling, honkin' V6 with 5AT & fake MT.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The steering isn't a problem, it's the OEM tires which Acura sports massive wood over for some reason. So I don't expect that will be different any time soon.

If they never offer an MT option I will never find myself in a V6 TSX. It's that simple.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

No MT is lame, but maybe it will come later like it did with the TL.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Acura says the introduction of the TSX V6 is the first step in a series of major improvements to the entire 2010 Acura model lineup. —Jim McCraw
Like more Power Plenums
Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by spurfan15
What a crock. I wanted a high torque, fuel sipping, 6MT i-DTEC TSX and they delivered a fuel guzzling, honkin' V6 with 5AT & fake MT.
You were set up for disappointment from the start then because Honda doesn't have V6 diesel engine. Most of us suspect the MT wasn't going to appear immediately as well.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Racer

Captured on camera!

At long last, the 2010 TSX that everyone has been waiting for!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spurfan15
AT V6, definately playing to the stereotypical American car buyer. I'll give Acura the benefit of the doubt and believe a 6MT will be out for the MMC otherwise I must assume they're intentionally handing business to Audi and BMW. On the bright side I won't have cause to flip cars quite so soon this time.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
You were set up for disappointment from the start then because Honda doesn't have V6 diesel engine. Most of us suspect the MT wasn't going to appear immediately as well.
I think he was talking about back last year when they said a diesel is coming. I remember him being one of the people excited for its release. He's just disappointed that instead of a diesel, they released a V6.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Question Active Torque Transfer System

For those wanting SH-AWD: What about the ATTS from the Prelude Type SH? Maybe that would be a nice medium between FWD & SH-AWD? This will keep weight/price/mpg closer to the FWD while still improving performance? Just a thought ...
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb MotorTrend Pic

First Look: 2010 Acura TSX V-6
Fast at Last? Acura's TSX Sports Sedan Gets V-6 Power for 2010
text size
By Rory Jurnecka

No two ways around it, the revamped 2009 Acura TSX is a larger, heavier car than the version it replaces. Sure, the suspension wizards tinkered around with anti-roll bars, increased the track width, fitted some trick new dual-mode dampers, and shifted the roll center to keep the new TSX feeling as composed as its lighter, nimbler forbearer. Even the drivetrain techies got involved, bumping the 2.4L four-banger's compression ratio, improving its breathing for a small increase in torque (8 lb-ft to 172), and shortening the gear ratios in the manual-equipped car to prevent acceleration times from slipping.

Still, these changes are barely able to confront the TSXs newfound three inches in width, 2.5 inches in length, and 150 pounds in curb weight -- a fact no amount of corporate finger-pointing at ballooning A4 and 3 Series models could deny. And keep in mind that the previous TSX was no barnstormer itself.

The most obvious alternative to putting a car on a diet is to add more power, and that's precisely what Acura has done with its 2010 Acura TSX V-6. Honda's premium automaker has stuffed a 280-hp, 3.5L V-6 into the engine bay of the TSX to mute any cries that the European Accord-based sedan has lost some of its soul. Essentially the same VTEC-enhanced engine found in Acura's base-level TL midsize sedan, the TSX also helps to bridge the gap between TSX and TL in the model lineup. The TSX V-6 will be offered exclusively with Acura's Sequential SportShift automatic, meaning steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters will have to quench enthusiasts' yearnings for a manual gearbox -- at least for now.

With the new V-6 comes a retuned suspension. The basic TSX configuration remains -- double wishbones up front and a multilink rear setup -- but the V-6 variant will receive exclusive specifications aimed at providing a sportier experience than the standard TSX. Additionally, 18-in., split five-spoke aluminum alloy wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot all-season tires, will distinguish the TSX V-6 model from the four-cylinder variant, as well as providing sharper turn-in and crisper handling. Other than the rolling stock and a V-6 badge, the exterior will be identical to that of its sibling.

Inside the TSX V-6, luxury still hasn't been banished in the name of performance and the standard equipment list is significant. A leather-upholstered interior, power moonroof, automatic climate control, premium seven-speaker sound system, Bluetooth, and auxiliary jack music interface are all no-cost items on the spec sheet. As with the base model car, stepping up to the Acuralink navigation system with rear-view camera and Acura/ELS Surrround premium stereo will require the optional Technology Package.

Acura says that respective to the upscale migration of the TL sedan, its new TSX V-6 is aimed "squarely at youthful buyers who want a performance-oriented sports sedan in a more personal size." Does Acura's German competition have cause for concern? We'll have to wait and see.
Three Wheelin'

For those wanting SH-AWD: What about the ATTS from the Prelude Type SH? Maybe that would be a nice medium between FWD & SH-AWD? This will keep weight/price/mpg closer to the FWD while still improving performance? Just a thought ...
I like that idea and I think "SH-FWD" should be standard on ALL FWD Acuras . It's be great to differentiate Acuras from Hondas, too.
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I think he was talking about back last year when they said a diesel is coming. I remember him being one of the people excited for its release. He's just disappointed that instead of a diesel, they released a V6.
Exactly. I've wanted the high performance I4 diesel all along. I coped with the V6 in my mind by consoling myself with more power and a nice 6MT. Basically I'm let down by the fact that they've played on the stereotypical american buyer as wackura said, with a massive 280HP V6 coupled only with a 5AT... no 6MT in sight. That is a huge letdown.

Last edited by spurfan15; 02-11-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Three Wheelin'

Old 02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Racer

The steering isn't a problem, it's the OEM tires which Acura sports massive wood over for some reason.
No, it's definitely the steering. Driving the '09 I thought Acura had accidentally switched suppliers with Lexus or something. Better tires would be great of course but even on the stock Michelins the 1G never felt that skittish and boosted. More's the pity as I liked a lot of the other changes like the paddle shifters. Hopefully they dialed it back some.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Drifting

^^ I have been advocating exactly that idea since the talk of a Type-S TSX began. I think it would be kick ass and at the same time give them a good platform to show off how sweet the system actually is. I think it's easy for consumers to to stop caring after they hear AWD but it really is much more than just that.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Exclamation Press Release

Press Release is at Acura's site now

CHICAGO - 02/11/2009
Acura debuted an all-new V-6 model for its TSX sports sedan line-up at the Chicago Auto Show today. Scheduled to go on sale this summer, the 2010 TSX V-6 will be equipped with a powerful 3.5-liter engine, exclusive suspension tuning, larger diameter wheels and additional enhancements."The automotive market may be slowing down, but not Acura," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. "With improved acceleration and handling, the new 280 horsepower V-6 adds even more sport to the already sporty nature of the popular TSX sports sedan."Since its redesign last year, the TSX has shattered sales records to become one of Acura's best-selling sedans. As the entry point to the Acura brand, the four-cylinder TSX has won over customers with its nimble handling, agile driving feel and balanced performance. The V-6 model adds a new level of power on top of these winning traits for a more sporty and spirited driving experience. The V-6 will surely satisfy driving enthusiast's appetite for a fun-to-drive, yet refined sports sedan.With the introduction of a V-6 powered TSX, Acura will fill a niche in its lineup between the four-cylinder TSX and the all-new TL performance luxury sedan. With the TL moving more upscale following its redesign in the 2009 model year, the TSX V-6 will be aimed squarely at youthful buyers who want a performance-oriented sports sedan in a more personal size.Powertrain
A new TSX powertrain choice means performance luxury buyers can enjoy a 280 horsepower 3.5L V-6, with sophisticated VTEC® valvetrain control and a dual-stage induction system. For maximum performance and efficiency, the engine will be coupled to Acura's Sequential SportShift automatic transmission, with intelligent features such as Grade Logic Control and Shift Hold Control. If the driver desires, the Sequential SportShift transmission can also be operated manually, via steering-wheel mounted F1®-style paddle shifters.Body/Chassis
The new TSX model will feature a state-of-the-art, double-wishbone front and multilink rear suspension system to provide excellent ride, handling and control. To generate sportier handling, the V-6 model will also use exclusive suspension tuning along with 18-inch split five-spoke aluminum wheels, fit with Michelin Pilot all-season tires. The larger wheels and tires will help distinguish this performance- minded TSX, as does the slightly revised front fascia and a V-6 badge on the trunk.
The TSX V-6 model will be generously equipped with the latest advancements in safety technology and is anticipated to achieve the highest ratings in both government (NHTSA)* and independent (IIHS) crash testing - including garnering IIHS's TOP SAFETY PICK.Interior
Like all Acura models, the new TSX will feature an exceptional level of standard equipment, including leather-appointed interior, power moonroof, automatic climate control, a premium seven-speaker sound system with CD, AM/FM tuner, XM® Satellite Radio, Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® , USB port and AUX jack music interface and more.Similar to the four-cylinder TSX, the V-6 model will be available with the optional Technology Package that includes the Acuralink™ satellite navigation system with rear-view camera and the Acura/ELS Surround® premium audio system for a top-in-class audio experience.The introduction of the TSX V-6 at the Chicago Auto Show is the first step in a series of major advancements to the 2010 Acura lineup. Almost every Acura sedan and SUV will receive significant enhancements for the 2010 model year.Acura
Acura offers a full line of technologically advanced performance luxury vehicles through a network of 270 dealers within the United States. The Acura lineup features five distinctive models, including the RL luxury performance sedan, the TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX sports sedan, the turbocharged RDX luxury crossover SUV and the award-winning MDX luxury sport-utility vehicle.
Additional details about the 2010 TSX V-6 will be available this summer. For information about current Acura vehicles, please visit www.acura.com. For media inquiries, please visit www.acuranews.com.*Government star ratings are part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) New Car Assessment Program (www.safercar.gov). Model tested with standard side-impact air bags (SABs).

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/793/releases/4947
Race Director

that's a boring pic of the V6 TSX. where is the restyled front grill? looks the same to me.
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
V6 diesel is too expensive. More suitable for TL/RL like BMW 3/X5. type S EuroAccord even at $35K is the best option for sales point of view. Similar weight as 2.4 I-VTEC with better performance/fuel economic.
May be during MMC 2012. they will launch diesel with 6speed auto. Buying 5speed Auto is pointless.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Surprised at no MT. I'm sure we can expect one for '11.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I like that idea and I think "SH-FWD" should be standard on ALL FWD Acuras . It's be great to differentiate Acuras from Hondas, too.
Alfa Romeo does something a lot like that... their "Q2" is a Torsen front differential which is gradually make its way through the lineup. I don't think it's standard though.

I definitely agree that Honda should bring back the Type-SH.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mokos23
that's a boring pic of the V6 TSX. where is the restyled front grill? looks the same to me.
huh.
I guess that restyled car is not coming.
looks the same to me.
they changed the rims... big deal.
they say they revised the front of it... but I guess I'm not seeing the change.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Advanced

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._v6/index.html

Link to the Motor Trend Article.

So, Acura is just calling it "TSX V6"? I was so hoping for "TSX-R, or TSX Type S" or Maybe even TSX 3.5....With the name TSX V6, it makes me think of the Accord family...Well, a rose by any other name smells just as sweet. Good specs, should help it compete with the 335, IS350, G37 and maybe even the Genesis Coupe. Funny how the TSX seems to of continued where the TL left off. If only Honda could squeeze an extra 25 ponies outa the K24, then it would have the same power as my 1999 TL...
Old 02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

From above:

"Other than the rolling stock and a V-6 badge, the exterior will be identical to that of its sibling."
Old 02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Other than the rolling stock and a V-6 badge, the exterior will be identical to that of its sibling.
Car is stylistically the same. Not even sport bumper like GT Euro Version. Is there HDD navigation?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

At least the wheels are a little better.

And yeah, where's the restyled front end?

Most importantly, I want to know the price.
Racer

Angel eyes?
Race Director

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
huh.
I guess that restyled car is not coming.
looks the same to me.
they changed the rims... big deal.
they say they revised the front of it... but I guess I'm not seeing the change.
yup, no restyled front it is the same and no SH-AWD stinks too. only thing now is this V6 TSX will steal sales from the TL base and maybe even the Maxima and ES350.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

Very boring. It would have taken a V6 MT and some restyling to get me to trade in. The wheels are neat but obviously much better aftermaket rims can be had.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Banned

Is it me or do the wheels look comically large?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Race Director

This TSX V6 badging reminds me of the days when the 1995 Accord had a V6 badge on it to distinguish it from the 4 cyl Accord. Also, when they put that on the 6th and 7th Accords when they put EX-V6. A TSX- type S would've better or TSX-SH-AWD, grrr.

Quick Reply: 2010 TSX - V6 engine confirmed