2010 TSX - V6 engine confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Its part of Prestige package not stand alone options. Why not Acura introduce 4cylinder 2.0 which is even lighter and more fuel efficient than 2.4L and add comprehensive luxury tech package of RL to it for price of 2.4 Tech. Thats the to increase the sales and attract the buyers. In Europe they do it. Smaller engine is not equal to less tech.
oh god.
I really think that you just don't get it.
a 2.0 in that hog? do you know how much it weighs?
power is a problem at 2.4, why is the V6 being introduced?

listen... the way the europeans do their option packages is nothing to look
up to, trust me.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really think that with the introduction of the V6 TSX, Acura should just do away with the FWD TL. Give it one more year and then come out with major feature upgrades/6MT/SH-AWD/Diesel(wishing) for the TSX in 2011. IF....a big IF also to consider is that also by then, we will have our V8 RWD ready which the TL would then share RWD option with. Wishful thinking? Maybe...but makes perfect sense!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

now that we know it has a hardy 280HP.....what do you guys peg the 0-60 dash at??
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

What I like best about this, is that I will be able to pick up a 09 for an even lower price! I see gas price skyrocketing the second the economy rebounds and I want good fuel economy, I know the TSX is not a rocket ship and I am completely cool with that.

And it is a nice option for those who want a bit more power/torque.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't know but I wish they had this 4 years ago. I would still have my TSX.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Its part of Prestige package not stand alone options. Why not Acura introduce 4cylinder 2.0 which is even lighter and more fuel efficient than 2.4L and add comprehensive luxury tech package of RL to it for price of 2.4 Tech. Thats the to increase the sales and attract the buyers. In Europe they do it. Smaller engine is not equal to less tech.
Only works in Europe because you get slugged on road tax when the CO2 emissions is higher. Hence, 2.0L has a significantly lower running cost than 2.4L. it is not about fuel consumption.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpate27
now that we know it has a hardy 280HP.....what do you guys peg the 0-60 dash at??
Depends on the amount of wheelspin you get.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Racer

nice little upgrade.. but not enough to make me regret getting my I4. :P
Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by darmok
Any word on new colors for '10, especially Milano Red? Colin?
We won't order these cars till May so that is probably when we get our new colors. I don't expect Milano Red.

Originally Posted by mg7726
that's b/c this car doesn't deserve to be called a type-s! who buys a type-s with an Auto, or offers it w/o a 6MT???
Isn't that what I said? This is a option engine and that's all. This is why I was saying for everyone not to go overboard on this car.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spurfan15
It's the ultimate rush job. Uh oh! People complaining about lack of power, the TLs having trouble, we refuse to bring diesel! What do we do? Eh toss in a massive V6, make no changes to the transmission, take off the MT to make things easier, toss on some bigger rims and slap on a V6 badge. We've got ourselves a new car! What a joke.
I can't believe everyone is complaining about this. So many people kept saying that the car was great and only needed more power. So many of you insisted that if they dropped the 2.3T form the RDX that it would be a perfect car. They are now giving you more power than the 2.3T with probably the same fuel economy plus designed for regular instead of premium fuel and people still find something to complain about.

I don't care about the MT but I'm sure that, as with the Accord, they just don't sell enough of them to make it worth their while. How many V6 Accord sedans do you think they'd sell if they offered it? How many MT TLs do you think they sell now? 3-5% of the total, maybe?

Acura did good with the V6 addition, IMHO. It makes me more likely to trade my 07 in for a '10 model when my lease is up if I decide not to keep my current car. And I consider myself the average Acura buyer ($100K plus income, married, in my 30's, with a wife that doesn't drive a stick).

Last edited by Nogard13; 02-12-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
^^^^^^
It sound like it will be a terrific car-but not for me. No stick-no sale. Yes I am a female. I know the majority prefer automatic but not me or my husband. We have 3 vehicles-all with MT.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Baapo
I was really hoping Acura would make me regret my choice of the 4 cylinder TSX...but they didn't even come close...

They really needed to distinguish the V6 from the 4...

All they've done is slap on the rims from the Australian Euro Accord...ummm...and the V6 badge...

Why not give it a more aggressive look by putting on the...Euro Accord front under body skirt...standard duck tail spoiler...some interior elements...something...
except the rims, that you can change, the v6 badge, that you can remove, you forgot 80 hp more...
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 AM
built for speed

Looking for comments from a seller of cars (e.g. Colin, etc.). It's agreed that the "take rate" for MT is much lower than AT's. However, how can we know the real % of sales that could have been made if you can never find an MT car. They make so few of them that many people probably choose an AT car just because they have all the other things (colors, options) that the customer is looking for. I've always felt the % of MT sales would be higher if they were more widely available. What do you think? The lack of an MT in the TSX V6 will surely push buyers to another brand. I'm one of them.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Racer

Most Americans do not want manuals. We are the exception. I will not buy a sports sedan without a manual, and I will pick a car with my 3rd or 4th color option if it has a manual. Acura will offer it but a small percentage will be made. I do think the V6 is an excellent move, and will help move Acura into a teir 1 company.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MMsTSX
oh god.
I really think that you just don't get it.
a 2.0 in that hog? do you know how much it weighs?
power is a problem at 2.4, why is the V6 being introduced?

listen... the way the europeans do their option packages is nothing to look
up to, trust me.
Yes power is problem when there is nothing else of interest in a car.
Give TSX ACC/CMBS/LKAS/pusbutton/blindspot/Front view cam/HUD/HDD with sport EuroAccord GT kit in a lighter 2.0L engine for price around $32K with 27mpg EPA rating. I bet there would be bigger market than V6 engine. It is about offering consumer a choice.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:34 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
From Jeff at TOV

2) When I asked about the possibility of an even sportier variant coming down the pipe (specifically, 6MT/LSD and/or SH-AWD), the reaction indicated that there was very little possibility of such a thing happening.
6MT and LSD should absolutely be available at some point.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Advanced

I have been selling Acura's for 4 years and personally have only sold two with a manual, 2006 TL and a 2009 TSX. Here is the problem we have by stocking a manual transmission, we never have the right color. We will order a Black 6 speed (most popular color) but the customer doesn't want Black so now we have to trade for one and the dealer doesn't want our 6 speed back. So the car sits forever and eats up floor plan money, by the time it sells we didn't make a profit.
We only get 2 maybe 3 requests a year for a manual so for our dealership it's just not worth it.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced

2010 tsx

Does anyone know when the new 2010 tsx is due to hit the dealerships? I am wondering how much the v-6 will cost. I am with iTimmy I am hoping for a great deal on the 09. Having more power isn't a big thing for me. I have been driving an ex accord for years without the v6 and it has been pretty peppy to me. I know an 09 tsx will have more pep than my 01 accord. I can live with an 09 with the tech package.

Last edited by myaccord; 02-12-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
Looking for comments from a seller of cars (e.g. Colin, etc.). It's agreed that the "take rate" for MT is much lower than AT's. However, how can we know the real % of sales that could have been made if you can never find an MT car.
It is a bit of a 'chicken and egg' kinda thing. However. Acura knows how many they build, how many dealers buy and how long it takes to sell them. (every time we sell a car is it reported back to the mothership).

We have 9 manuals in stock and five of them are over 160 days old. The others are over 80. I don't think that people can complain that we're not offering them.

nj2pa2nc, I'm in the same boat as you. I've never owned a manual in 8 cars, and my wife has only had one automatic (her first car), but unfortunately you cannot make a business case selling cars to our two families.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by myaccord
Does anyone know when the new 2010 tsx is due to hit the dealerships? I am wondering how much the v-6 will cost. I am with iTimmy I am hoping for a great deal on the 09..... I can live with an 09 with the tech package.
I believe these are supposed to hit in the summer. Remember that current TSX production stopped last month. This means that dealers 'have what they have' so if you are particular on color, you should start looking now.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by VANDY
I have been selling Acura's for 4 years and personally have only sold two with a manual, 2006 TL and a 2009 TSX. Here is the problem we have by stocking a manual transmission, we never have the right color. We will order a Black 6 speed (most popular color) but the customer doesn't want Black so now we have to trade for one and the dealer doesn't want our 6 speed back. So the car sits forever and eats up floor plan money, by the time it sells we didn't make a profit.
We only get 2 maybe 3 requests a year for a manual so for our dealership it's just not worth it.
Dealers certainly know more about this type of stuff than most of us do so I can accept that one won't be offered because there just isn't enough people who are interested.

But what I do know is there is no way I buy a V6 TSX without an MT (Or a dual clutch). Which means I don't buy a TSX period. If they can make an all new MT for 5% of SH-AWD TL buyers I don't think including the old MT from the TL was asking too much.

Oh-well.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Since I'm an AT buyer, it doesn't bother me so much that there is no MT. It doesn't affect me. I do, however, feel bad for you guys/gals who want an MT.

I'll be in line for one of these, depending on price and other offerings, probably in 2011 or 2012, whenever the MMC will be.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure they will offer an MT because they offered it for the I4 TSX and the TL. I don't think they have changed their minds about the importance of MT, they just had to do a rush job to fill the gap.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wackura
I'm pretty sure they will offer an MT because they offered it for the I4 TSX and the TL. I don't think they have changed their minds about the importance of MT, they just had to do a rush job to fill the gap.
I don't know if its a rush job. I believe that Acura has finally learned that if you stagger product introductions through the life of the car, you can get more 'free' press. I've been saying it since this forum opened that there would be three engines for this car. Nobody knows for sure if the V6 was pushed forward because the diesel was axed, but I am sure that development was done regardless.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
meh...the 18's look too Accord (I guess because they are Accord wheels) and the thought of a V6 TSX has never excited me.

I love my 2008 I-4...this car is so much fun to drive...the 2.4L I-4 is the best N/A 4cyl on the market bar none (except for maybe Honda's 2.2L in the S2000).

I love revving the engine and the car is light and tossable - it makes my commute at least somewhat enjoyable. I have an AT, but kick it over to manual mode when I want more control...granted it's no MT, but it at least helps with the fun factor...and I don't feel the pains of availability and/or resale of a MT.

Having driven the '09 TSX, it seems some of the tossability and fun has left because of size/weight...the V6 would only add to that compromise.

I see why Acura added the V6 TSX, but I can't help but think it'll consume some Accord V6 and FWD TL sales...and pull the TSX even further away from its original roots...
Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

I agree, somehow the wheel don't seem like they were designed with that body in mind. The original stock wheels share the carved, chunky and slanted look but these new ones could have come from a Honda Odessey for all anyone knows.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Racer

Guys, before harping down on why the TSX doesn't have this or that...put yourself in the shoes of the Acura execs. If everything comes out in the first 2 years, what the hell do you introduce in year 3, 4 (MMC) and 5? It's absolutely FOOLISH to bring out anything else other than a V6 for now. Your "perfect" TSX will be there, just have some freakin' patience!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nogard13
I can't believe everyone is complaining about this. So many people kept saying that the car was great and only needed more power. So many of you insisted that if they dropped the 2.3T form the RDX that it would be a perfect car. They are now giving you more power than the 2.3T with probably the same fuel economy plus designed for regular instead of premium fuel and people still find something to complain about.

I don't care about the MT but I'm sure that, as with the Accord, they just don't sell enough of them to make it worth their while. How many V6 Accord sedans do you think they'd sell if they offered it? How many MT TLs do you think they sell now? 3-5% of the total, maybe?

Acura did good with the V6 addition, IMHO. It makes me more likely to trade my 07 in for a '10 model when my lease is up if I decide not to keep my current car. And I consider myself the average Acura buyer ($100K plus income, married, in my 30's, with a wife that doesn't drive a stick).
I have no doubt that this rendition of the TSX will be received well by the average American buyer... but I guess I'm just not an average buyer.

I've never really barked for a V6 TSX. I thought the TSX was pretty sensible and a good car where it was at, but would be better with more low end torque. My hope was for the combination of torque and wonderful fuel economy with a diesel. I'm still pissed off at the fact that Honda completely strung me along for so many years with the diesel and then ripped it away.

My frustration really stems from lingering disappointment over a V6 instead of diesel. That coupled with the fact that Acura removed one of the things I was looking forward to most -- a 6MT -- just set me off.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:04 PM
BigD TSX

2010 Acura TSX V-6

Just found these picz from the 2009 Chicago Auto Show...

No major exterior changes... Still Sexy

I perfer these 2010 stock wheels over the 2009 4 cylinder model.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned

I hope it does well because of course that would help justify extending the line, and Acura could use a hit. I also really like the electronic steering after adding better tires. I don't think this will feel nearly as heavy as the 3G TL. I really want an MT.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by spurfan15
I have no doubt that this rendition of the TSX will be received well by the average American buyer... but I guess I'm just not an average buyer.

I've never really barked for a V6 TSX. I thought the TSX was pretty sensible and a good car where it was at, but would be better with more low end torque. My hope was for the combination of torque and wonderful fuel economy with a diesel. I'm still pissed off at the fact that Honda completely strung me along for so many years with the diesel and then ripped it away.

My frustration really stems from lingering disappointment over a V6 instead of diesel. That coupled with the fact that Acura removed one of the things I was looking forward to most -- a 6MT -- just set me off.
I wonder if they don't have a FWD transmission that can handle 280 pounds of torque? (honestly, I've always wondered about that) and this is why the diesel is delayed/canceled?

Also, FWIW you are not a 'normal' buyer. The diesel would require a HUGE public relations campaign to educate the public. The V6... not so much. All they have to do is put it out there. So IMO, in these times, it make sense to put out a car that will 'sell itself' (god I hate that phrase) vs. one that it a gamble.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dramirez112
Just found these picz from the 2009 Chicago Auto Show...

No major exterior changes... Still Sexy

I perfer these 2010 stock wheels over the 2009 4 cylinder model.

Isn't that Dick Colliver standing by it?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:30 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Guys, before harping down on why the TSX doesn't have this or that...put yourself in the shoes of the Acura execs. If everything comes out in the first 2 years, what the hell do you introduce in year 3, 4 (MMC) and 5? It's absolutely FOOLISH to bring out anything else other than a V6 for now. Your "perfect" TSX will be there, just have some freakin' patience!
buyers would have moved on to other car makes by then
Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 09TSXMN
Isn't that Dick Colliver standing by it?
No, that's a "stunt Dick" I think that's Jeff Conrad, VP of Acura sales.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Advanced

When will the 4 cyclinder 2010 acura tsx be in the dealerships? I won't be ready until June to make a purchase , I want a 2009
Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Infamous425
buyers would have moved on to other car makes by then
So move on. I don't mean this in a flippant way or in a disrespectful way. Thing is, there is nothing that any of us can to to prevent this natural business cycle. We can only hope that there is someone where you once were (10 years ago) looking to enter the family.

What I'm saying is that if you followed a car path that went Civic>Accord>TSX and now you want a G or whatever, we can't stop you. I just hope that there is someone just starting out that follows your path.

Of course this doesn't grow the brand because we don't keep people in the family, but hopefully plans are in place to fix this in the next 5 years. (one product cycle)
Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Not sure if this article has been posted, but wanted to share:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/11/c...x-v6-for-2010/
Old 02-12-2009, 01:58 PM
BigD TSX

I just realized that the 2010 TSX V-6 has the plastic covering over the engine...

Old 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Good move but should have gone with a 2.5 litre or 3.0 litre. The limited line-up is getting too muddled now. 2.5 or 3.0 works for BMW 3 why not Acura? This creates more room between the TSX and the TL. I'm sure the TSX will move now but what will it do to TL sales? Dick's final act?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
BigD TSX

Thumbs up

Thanks for the link... These pictures are clearer

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Not sure if this article has been posted, but wanted to share:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/11/c...x-v6-for-2010/

Quick Reply: 2010 TSX - V6 engine confirmed