2010 TSX - V6 engine confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
Not that we'll ever know, but I wonder if these decisions were made pre-Colliver or post-Colliver.
Which decisions are you referring to?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ostrich

It looks so hot in this red color!!! What red color is this? Is it the same as the red that we get on the TSX? It seems deeper here. It's GORGEOUS!

I so hope that the spied crossover is really an Acura, not a Honda! If it's got SH-AWD, V6, and the Acura creature comforts and service, then I think I have found my next car!!! :-)
It's Basque Red which is the same as we have on the TSX.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
I'd say that the only decisions made post-colliver are the ones being made today. Everything we see for the next 2-3 years are all Colliver choices. This means that in three years, we'll know if Mendel was/is good for Acura.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

... just to add to my thoughts. The previous guy at Acura was Rich Thomas. He is the one who axed the Legend nameplate (all the names actually). He also brought us the first gen CL, the first Acura to be designed and built in the US. I even remember the project leaders name: Charlie Barker. Wonder where he is now? Thomas also introduced first gen RL and TL (though I suspect the RL was a Japan creation).

Colliver's first car was probably the 2G TL, and then followed up with the MDX. He got the G1 TSX here, stewarded the 3G TL and was opposed to the V-6 2G RL, insisting instead on a V-8. In the end, Colliver can count more hits than misses.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
I wonder if Dick Colliver was for or against a V6 TSX.

But now that I think about it Acura is moving upscale they way he wanted, making the TSX the new TL, the TL the new RL and the yet to be seen RL is probably going to be some crazy $70k party boat.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Colin
I'd say that the only decisions made post-colliver are the ones being made today. Everything we see for the next 2-3 years are all Colliver choices. This means that in three years, we'll know if Mendel was/is good for Acura.
Are you sure the public announcement isn't made long after the fact? Those big corperations prize secrecy. I figure everything we learn and when we learn it is carefully timed.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Are you sure the public announcement isn't made long after the fact? Those big corperations prize secrecy. I figure everything we learn and when we learn it is carefully timed.
No I'm not sure, but as recently as last month, Colliver was still addressing the dealers.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
My

The Grille was his call which resulted in him being pushed out the door by the big wigs in Japan.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dom
My

The Grille was his call which resulted in him being pushed out the door by the big wigs in Japan.
+1
Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rightfully so I would say.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Pro

... just to add to my thoughts. The previous guy at Acura was Rich Thomas. He is the one who axed the Legend nameplate (all the names actually). He also brought us the first gen CL, the first Acura to be designed and built in the US. I even remember the project leaders name: Charlie Barker. Wonder where he is now? Thomas also introduced first gen RL and TL (though I suspect the RL was a Japan creation).

Colliver's first car was probably the 2G TL, and then followed up with the MDX. He got the G1 TSX here, stewarded the 3G TL and was opposed to the V-6 2G RL, insisting instead on a V-8. In the end, Colliver can count more hits than misses.
Regardless of how people feel about the plenum, Acura is in a better position today than it was in the late 90s. Prior to the 2G TL, the Acura lineup was bland and did not offer a strong value.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Racer

I have been quiet about all of this recently and just have been thread viewing. I love the fact that Acura is putting a V6 in the TSX. If it is not mated with a manual or SH-AWD (that would suck) it's still puts acura closer to being a true luxury brand. Hopefully those two things will come soon. My opinion is Acura needs to have SH-AWD in all of their cars, and offer manuals in at least the TSX and TL in all trims. Also Acura needs a wagon badly, The audi A4 Advant and BMW 3 wagon are selling like hot cakes, and they also have AWD. I hope Acura doesn't disappoint me in the next few years with their decisions. I think the V6 was planned all along, look at the engine bay size, so that means the AWD is planned as well looking at the rear frame and suspension design. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks Colin for the walk down memory lane...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
My

Hopefully they will "fix" the grills soon on the entire lineup.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
My

Hey, you stold that from me, lol!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Any theoretical 0-60 or 1/4 miles times based on the projected power to weight ratio or past performance from the similar TL-s?

Also I really need to know if and when they would unveil AWD because if they withhold until 2011 I would want to wait. I only had the 1G TSX for 1yr/6mos months so I'm running a pretty bad track record with car retention.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Drifting

I once had this fortune cookie that had the most profound "fortune" I've ever seen from a food item or otherwise. It was this: "To have more, want less." It took a while to sink in but after a lot of contemplation and belly rubbing I came to realize how accurate it actually was.

I'm not saying it's bad to have desires. But if your wants are relentlessly driving you away from contentment, perhaps it's time to examine more closely the basis of those desires. With patience, the path of your decisions will be illuminated, so try and muster up a little of that. We should know more after the upcoming shows (Geneva and Chicago).

Ohm. Ohhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Any theoretical 0-60 or 1/4 miles times based on the projected power to weight ratio or past performance from the similar TL-s?
Considering this is the same engine that's in the base TL and this will be lighter than the Base TL, I'd guess sub 6s easy. I'm not sure it will be as fast as the TL-S though. What made a big difference with the TypeS was the LSD and performance suspension. We don't know if this is going to just be a more powerful TSX or a performance TSX. If the focus is performance it may match the TL-S in many respects.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:00 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol where'd you get all this information? not doubting its accuracy just wondering where u read up about all this.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone have any idea on what are the chances of this thing getting SHAWD is?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
lol where'd you get all this information? not doubting its accuracy just wondering where u read up about all this.
I lived it. I've been selling Acuras since you were 9 (f the age in the profile is right). Damn, that sounds like a long time! Point is, I've seen them up and I've seen them down. Even with the Power Plenum, we have one of the best lineups since 99-00.

SH-AWD, slim to none (maybe 1% chance). The TSX must remain affordable and a V6 (FWD) TSX will fill the low-30's hole in the lineup that the TL vacated.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by (Cj)
Considering this is the same engine that's in the base TL and this will be lighter than the Base TL, I'd guess sub 6s easy. I'm not sure it will be as fast as the TL-S though. What made a big difference with the TypeS was the LSD and performance suspension. We don't know if this is going to just be a more powerful TSX or a performance TSX. If the focus is performance it may match the TL-S in many respects.
TSX is alot more aerodynamic than both 3G/4G TL. I think 0-100mph will be quite a difference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)
Drag (physics)
A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW).
Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Racer

I would think that the V6 TSX will still be lighter than the 3G TL-S, with only 6 fewer horses, I'd expect the TSX V6 to outperform the auto TL-S, when the manual comes (2011 is my guess) it should run 0-60 in less than 5.5 secs. (the 0-60 time for a 6MT TL-S)
Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

They had better not hold back on the MT. I'm still assuming they won't be that dumb.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Racer

They had better not hold back on the MT. I'm still assuming they won't be that dumb.
I don't think they'll be that dumb either, but strategically, they have to maintain a buzz for as long as possible, so I'm pretty sure they'll hold off on the 6MT and the SH-AWD for the TSX for now, to give us something to come back for
Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Racer

We thought they would have bumped power up in the first place compared to the 1st gen. Acura can be dumb...it wouldn't surprise me they hold off on the MT for a year.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

If we get a MT then no AWD. If we get AWD no MT. Why? Because IMO the first one to get both will be the TL.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Banned

I don't think they should feel inclined to offer MT for any level of TL. When cars get that large it become increasingly pointless.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think they should feel inclined to offer MT for any level of TL. When cars get that large it become increasingly pointless.
Yeah, well they're doing it.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Drifting

^^ I grudgingly agree. I suspect Acura is going to move to some sort of dual clutch or continuously variably transmission in the fairly near future anyway. It makes the most sense to start that in the upper tier cars where their competitors are doing the same thing already.

Sadly, the days of three pedal driving are limited.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Racer

If we get a MT then no AWD. If we get AWD no MT. Why? Because IMO the first one to get both will be the TL.
Why not both get it at the same time? The 2010 TL SH-AWD will get a 6MT.. why not the 2010 TSX SH-AWD get it alongside the TL? Just wishful thinking on my part, i guess.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
If indeed Acura builds a AWD TSX that I'll snatch it up in a heartbeat to replace my 3G... I've already had my TL on craigslist, and autotrader for a week... car market is tough right now...
Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The RL and TL were nothing but rebadged left hand drive versions of Honda's top cars. The names should have been kept. Acura Inspire sounds better than TL. Same of course goes for the Legend.

1st gen TL = Honda Inspire and Honda Saber
1st gen RL = Legend (of course)

Of course, it was Mr Thomas's decision to do the rebadging and adding nothing new for the US market. Not a single cosmetic difference except the grilles.

Before people start bashing those "bland" cars, I have one of each. A '97 TL and a '02 RL. Out of the numerous Hondas and Acuras I've owned, I've narrowed it down to those two. They're very well built, rattle free and in the case of the TL with close to 200,000 miles on it now, extremely cheap to own considering the mileage i've gotten out of it.

I've had an '03 and '05 TL, they're gone now because quite frankly they just weren't better cars than the "old" style Acuras.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
^^ I grudgingly agree. I suspect Acura is going to move to some sort of dual clutch or continuously variably transmission in the fairly near future anyway. It makes the most sense to start that in the upper tier cars where their competitors are doing the same thing already.
GOOD! There's a lot of potential w/ those trannys and I think Acura is silly for not going this route by now. I mean come on, still running merely a 5 sp auto on a new, totally redesigned TL?!? That was their chance to REALLY make an impact! The 5 sp. tranny is a good one but it's time to move upwards. Just look at Ford/Mazda, Hyundai, VW...
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ESHBG
GOOD! There's a lot of potential w/ those trannys and I think Acura is silly for not going this route by now. I mean come on, still running merely a 5 sp auto on a new, totally redesigned TL?!? That was their chance to REALLY make an impact! The 5 sp. tranny is a good one but it's time to move upwards. Just look at Ford/Mazda, Hyundai, VW...
Yeah, it can get pretty embarrassing trying to explain to customers why we don't have anything more than a 5AT when the Mazda 6 et all have 6 or 7AT. In truth though, it's more marketing than anything as the 5AT does almost the same for fuel consumption. The thing that bothers everybody is the question of "WHY NOT THOUGH", even if just for marketing or "street cred"
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Drifting

The CVTs are going to be what we'll see on the last production internal combustion engines built. The advantages are clear. I don't think they're all that mature yet though. Nissan seems to have something good going now but these would the first CVT transmissions ever mass produced with any kind of appreciable reliability. I think better materials for the belts is what's going to make these things as strong as they need to be.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

just move the damn car into the TL slot (since TL is going to be bloated to match the 5-series class), and give me another small car to replace the TSX. god i am tired of all the fatass vehicles every damn x-gen redesign...people put damn friggin hamburger down!!

/rant
Old 02-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
The Acura media event is at 3:00 today (Chicago time). They're up after Suzuki, who may or may not be unveiling the production Kizashi.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by One&Done?
Maybe this was already said but I didn't have the time to rad 18 pages. Sorry.

Will this 6-cyl engine be in Type-S guise?
Will it come with the availablity of SH-AWD?
Will they still offer the current 4-cyl in conjunction with this new engine?

I would be really interested in this car with some more power and AWD. That would be very nice. I am all for it.
1. we dont know yet
2. we dont know yet
(we'll find out at 3pm about these 2)
3. yes
Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by One&Done?
Will this 6-cyl engine be in Type-S guise?
Will it come with the availablity of SH-AWD?
Will they still offer the current 4-cyl in conjunction with this new engine?
Don't know yet.
Dealer info says no.
They better.

Quick Reply: 2010 TSX - V6 engine confirmed