Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Ahh I did not see that thread in XDA. XDA is a freakin huge ass forum with so many subforums. I've only scourged the Vibrant subforum so I'm probably missing out on a lot of information regarding the Android.

I actually want to root mainly for the custom kernel. I read that it optimizes the CPU and can undervolt or overclock the CPU. That is amazing.

Have you read about voodoo's colofix? It's currently in the making and I would love to have the colorfix because I do agree that the Galaxy S phones have too much of a bluish tint on the display.
Yeah XDA is getting way too big now. As far as Voodoo, I did use it back in the day but I'm a little cautious about using it again. I bricked my last Galaxy phone but not sure what caused it to do so and still don't know. Some people say installing Voodoo might have done it or the hardware was faulty to begin with or the software used to flash the kernels is not compatible with the Canadian version of the phone. Either way, no one knows and I don't want to find out again so I'm avoiding Voodoo for a bit. lol. A lot of other Canadian Galaxy S users had their hardware fail running stock ROMs so it could just be a bad batch of SD Cards.

The problem only seems to be isolated to the Canadian Galaxy S phones though and I haven't really heard of the T-Mobile Vibrants bricking due to a kernel flash yet. With that said, for the time I had it working though, Voodoo was stable but I didn't feel too much of a difference in terms of speed compared to my other ROMs installed. My Quadrant benchmarks doubled and phone response was a tad faster but I wouldn't say it was dramatic enough for me to notice. The current ROM I have installed now has the sharpness and color mod, but again, I still don't see what the difference is compared to the previous ROMs. Maybe its cause I never run a ROM long enough to notice and I'm using the LCD dpi hack to make the screen look HiRes.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
I didn't know rooting was so easy. Because the iPhone requires you to pay attention to firmware version, bootloader version, and baseband version. That annoyed the shit out of me.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Yeah XDA is getting way too big now. As far as Voodoo, I did use it back in the day but I'm a little cautious about using it again. I bricked my last Galaxy phone but not sure what caused it to do so and still don't know. Some people say installing Voodoo might have done it or the hardware was faulty to begin with or the software used to flash the kernels is not compatible with the Canadian version of the phone. Either way, no one knows and I don't want to find out again so I'm avoiding Voodoo for a bit. lol. A lot of other Canadian Galaxy S users had their hardware fail running stock ROMs so it could just be a bad batch of SD Cards.

The problem only seems to be isolated to the Canadian Galaxy S phones though and I haven't really heard of the T-Mobile Vibrants bricking due to a kernel flash yet. With that said, for the time I had it working though, Voodoo was stable but I didn't feel too much of a difference in terms of speed compared to my other ROMs installed. My Quadrant benchmarks doubled and phone response was a tad faster but I wouldn't say it was dramatic enough for me to notice. The current ROM I have installed now has the sharpness and color mod, but again, I still don't see what the difference is compared to the previous ROMs. Maybe its cause I never run a ROM long enough to notice and I'm using the LCD dpi hack to make the screen look HiRes.
Yea I wasn't planning on running the voodoo kernel. I was more interested in JAC's kernel and I heard nothing but good thing about it. Supposedly one of JAC's kernel had colorfix so I thought I'd bring up voodoo.

hmm I thought that if the quadrant score doubles, the speed would be vastly different. I think the algorithm for the benchmark number is not based on phone responsiveness then....
Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

I didn't know rooting was so easy. Because the iPhone requires you to pay attention to firmware version, bootloader version, and baseband version. That annoyed the shit out of me.
Rooting used to be difficult. But now a lot of the times they have apps that automate the process for you. All Android phones in theory are similar, so some root methods can work for other phone models. Also, some custom ROMs are already pre-rooted so you don't even have to mess with it.

Yea I wasn't planning on running the voodoo kernel. I was more interested in JAC's kernel and I heard nothing but good thing about it. Supposedly one of JAC's kernel had colorfix so I thought I'd bring up voodoo.

hmm I thought that if the quadrant score doubles, the speed would be vastly different. I think the algorithm for the benchmark number is not based on phone responsiveness then....
Oh okay, in that case, you should be perfectly fine. The Voodoo kernel changes the partition layout of the phone from RFS to EXT4 for the speed increases. Like anything with benchmarks, sometimes they're just numbers and can be easily manipulated. The reason why it gets higher Quadrant scores is due to the way the I/O is changed with the EXT4 partition. Long story short, Quadrant is very easy to fool in terms of benchmarking. Don't get me wrong, there will be increase in speeds all around but its nothing as dramatic as the two times increase shown in Quadrant. If anything, I think the OC and UV kernels are worth flashing because they can increase your battery life while improving the performance of the phone.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Yeah its pretty impressive. I really do think I'd get much better battery life if AT&T had better signal at my place. A good portion of the time, my phone is struggling to get signal so I have to leave it at one spot in my room so it doesn't fluctuate.

10% brightness on the Galaxy phones is similar to 30% on other Android phones. Not sure why that is, but for whatever reason the lowest brightness on the Galaxy phones is still way too bright. I actually have to use an app to make it go that low. It probably has something to do with the AMOLED screen. There is another app that can go even lower than that 10% but its not practical for 24 hour usage but good for night time browsing.
I have to turn my phone down to about 10% for nite viewing in the car or it lites up the inside my car...
Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
More cities including LA, Miami, and more get Sprint 4G. Congrats EVO owners

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/s...-ohio-miami-a/
Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM

OMG searching with google using speech-to-text is awesome. I'm doing an essay on global warming and I searched "global warming and the effects on environment" and got the exact search. That would have taken me some time to type. AWESOME!!

And I can't believe "Acura-Zeen" actually brought up the correct search. Acurazine isn't even a word. Freaky.....
Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

OMG searching with google using speech-to-text is awesome. I'm doing an essay on global warming and I searched "global warming and the effects on environment" and got the exact search. That would have taken me some time to type. AWESOME!!

And I can't believe "Acura-Zeen" actually brought up the correct search. Acurazine isn't even a word. Freaky.....
In Froyo, there are voice commands to write out texts and messages without having to press a button. Although, for some reason, I have to speak a lot slower for it to understand me in Froyo in comparison to Eclair. Not sure why that is. You can try out Vlingo to get a taste of how the voice commands work in Froyo and Vlingo can even open apps plus read texts, messages and incoming calls to you when you receive them.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/vlingo:-....vlingo.client
Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 PM

Hey, on the Galaxy S. Is there a way to have the "button" lights stay on while the screen is on? It's pretty hard to navigate at night. I know it's easy to guess their position in the dark, but it would be better if the light stayed on a lot longer
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

Hey, on the Galaxy S. Is there a way to have the "button" lights stay on while the screen is on? It's pretty hard to navigate at night. I know it's easy to guess their position in the dark, but it would be better if the light stayed on a lot longer
I don't believe so unless someone makes a kernel that allows it. Eventually, you'll get used to the button placement and you'll find the lighting annoying at night. lol.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM

OK I desperately need help. I "bricked" my phone but was able to recover it though Odin. Now I'm too scared to do anything. Everything went good up until I reflashed the kernel using JAC's clockwork version.

After reseting it to factory, I haven't received any OTA update from Tmobile. When I first had the phone, the push came at about an hour after I turned it on to charge. It's been more than 8 hours and I haven't received any updates. Can I force the update somehow?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
OK I desperately need help. I "bricked" my phone but was able to recover it though Odin. Now I'm too scared to do anything. Everything went good up until I reflashed the kernel using JAC's clockwork version.

After reseting it to factory, I haven't received any OTA update from Tmobile. When I first had the phone, the push came at about an hour after I turned it on to charge. It's been more than 8 hours and I haven't received any updates. Can I force the update somehow?

If you go to Settings>>About phone>>System updates it should tell you if your phone is up to date.

T-Mobile is supposed to be sending out the OTA update for Froyo today to Galaxy S peeps. If not, then it will be available using Kies tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
If you go to Settings>>About phone>>System updates it should tell you if your phone is up to date.

T-Mobile is supposed to be sending out the OTA update for Froyo today to Galaxy S peeps. If not, then it will be available using Kies tomorrow.
Currently my phone reads:

Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: T959UVJFD
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
Build number: ECLAIR

If I remember correctly, the updated version read something like:

Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: T959UVJ12
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
Build number: ECLAIR-J12

I reflashed the firmware using Odin's TMO T959UVJFD.tar

I'm starting to think that it "thinks" it's an in updated status.

But I have an optioned called Software Update. That option actually doesn't do anything because when I first got the phone, I clicked that option and it says "No Firmware." Then 30 min later I got the OTA update.

BTW, are you pretty sure they're rolling out Froyo? Because I keep reading that UK is definitely getting it but USA have been shafted for quite some time.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 PM

Ya, I can't seem to find any confirm whether the US is getting it or not. Just some older articles that say it is "supposed to be released today".

The biggest issue in the US is that there are 5 different Galaxy S models and getting all the carrier specific bs to work takes a while.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Safety Car

By bricked, what do you mean? It wouldn't boot or it was force closing nonstop? If it was force closing non stop you probably have to wipe your data. Any way, to get the official JI6 update manually instead of waiting from T-Mobile get it from Samsung's site:

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...0&AT_ID=341559

This is the official OTA build straight from Samsung with pictures of how to do it using mini KIES.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Ya, I can't seem to find any confirm whether the US is getting it or not. Just some older articles that say it is "supposed to be released today".

The biggest issue in the US is that there are 5 different Galaxy S models and getting all the carrier specific bs to work takes a while.
Yeah, Samsung or the carriers haven't made any announcements other than Bell Canada. They said mid-December is when they expect their update. If you really can't wait (like me, lol.) the leaked builds on XDA are pretty official. They just don't call them official because its not official until its released from the carriers. They're all based on the JPM kernel which is the same source that's available to download from Samsung on their website. Some people have been running the builds for many weeks now. I've been running one for about a week now and haven't had any major problems.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

By bricked, what do you mean? It wouldn't boot or it was force closing nonstop? If it was force closing non stop you probably have to wipe your data. Any way, to get the official JI6 update manually instead of waiting from T-Mobile get it from Samsung's site:

This is the official OTA build straight from Samsung with pictures of how to do it using mini KIES.
Since you're already on JFD, I suggest you update to JI6 using the method from Samsung. JI6 is the most up to date Official T-Mobile Eclair. If you ever want to revert back to JI6 straight in the future or now as well, you can flash the JI6.tar from the following link using ODIN. It looks like you know how to use it so just download the JI6.tar and if you ever need to revert, you can do so through ODIN:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...86#post8511186
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

One last about the Vibrant. Samsung released an app in the market to reset GPS values. Its their "fix" for the GPS issue. You can give it a try if you're having issues after reverting back to JI6. I don't think it does anything new other than automate what XDA has already suggested in the past.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=856489

You can get it from the market. Search for GPSRestore. Or download it from that thread. It should also work for Captivate users.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM

After trying to update a kernel, the phone would not go pass the samsung logo. It would stay there. I left it for over an hour and decided that it was bricked. I even tried to restore with clockworkmod nandroid backup and that didn't work either. Now I wonder if nandroid backup even actually works. Maybe I missed a step or something
Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

After trying to update a kernel, the phone would not go pass the samsung logo. It would stay there. I left it for over an hour and decided that it was bricked. I even tried to restore with clockworkmod nandroid backup and that didn't work either. Now I wonder if nandroid backup even actually works. Maybe I missed a step or something
Oh okay. Maybe the kernel wasn't made for that ROM so it got stuck. I'm not sure if a factory reset and wipe would've made it work but I would've done it at that point. lol.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-30-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

So it looks like the Android tablets are out in full force now. First up, the Nook Color just got rooted. $250 e-book/tablet is looking nice right now.

We already knew the Nook Color was capable of something a bit more than its initial offering, having seen Angry Birds run fairly smoothly on a dev unit. In fact, it's exactly what we want in between chapters of Animal Farm, and the xda-developers community, right on schedule, are providing pictorial evidence of its rooting conquests. So far we've seen the aforementioned game / addiction, a few other additions to the extras menu, and even Launcher Pro (image after the break). NookDevs has a page going with instructions, but even it admits to being a work in progress, so we're gonna emphasis a little stronger than usual: don't try this at home unless you're absolutely sure what you're doing -- or don't mind a broken tablet or two.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/n...birds-say-yes/
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Safety Car

Next, the 10" Viewsonic G Tablet with a Tegra 2 processor is being sold for around $399.

If your tablet wishlist includes things like Tegra 2, Android 2.2, and 1080p video playback, you might want to drop by your nearest Office Depot some time soonish. ViewSonic's G Tablet has just been made available for purchase at the store's many outlets across the US and is also supposed to be up for grabs at its online portal. We say "supposed" because we can't find it anywhere on officedepot.com, but that's probably just a temporary issue. The main point is that $399 will buy you a seat on the Froyo tablet bandwagon, a very glossy 10-inch seat with 1024 x 600 resolution. Skip past the break for the full PR.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/30/o...into-the-fold/

XDA is already working on this tablet. They got custom roms for it, Flash 10.1, along with the Android market:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbcfA9u9O5w
Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

The Archos Android tablets finally got Android 2.2:

The Archos line of Internet Tablets featuring Android (the 28/32/43/70/101) have received their fair dosage of Froyo today, as the (for now) latest version of Android has arrived. Along with the bump up in version number comes a pretty good list of enhancements and additions. The full list:

Higher performance: just in time compiler (JIT) technology makes applications run up to 5 times faster than previous Android “Eclair” 2.1 firmwares
Enhanced Microsoft Exchange support: it is now possible to synchronize contacts and calendar events
Allow to install more 3rd party applications by installing them on the storage memory (for applications that supports it)
Video: movie information and cover retrieval in video file info dialog
Multiple selection mode is now always enabled in the file manager
External bluetooth GPS receivers are now supported
Better assistance is provided in the tethering wizard to pair with cell phone using bluetooth DUN profile (smart APN detection)
OpenVPN is now supported
Slideshow support for network shares has been added to Gallery and Photoframe applications
Photoframe: full screen picture can now be displayed on double tap when in floating image mode
Manual white balance setting has been added in Camera application
Faster USB write transfer
Battery: more accurate battery charge estimation
Audio: improved compatibility with android audio stream volume management (voice/music/ringtone etc.)
Orientation: fixed compatibility issue with some applications working with inverted accelerometer axis
That should help give the Archos line at least some of the extra “umph” it seemed to be missing out of the box, but, as we’ve heard before, no currently available version of Android is exactly primed for tablets. Anyone rocking one of these devices?
Source: http://phandroid.com/2010/11/30/arch...o-android-2-2/
Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Safety Car

Finally, the Dell Streak just received Froyo:

We’ve heard a lot about different color versions of the Dell Streak and it’s availability in Best Buy. We also know that the new Dell Streaks are reportedly coming out of the box with Android 2.2 “Froyo”. We also learned from Phandroid back in the early part of November that an OTA (Over the air) update was coming to existing Dell Streak Owners without an exact date in mind. Today is that date and we downloaded the OTA just now.

So far here’s what we’ve seen in the official update:
- A new “Dell Stage” home screen that sorts your 7 home screens into easy access. As with most custom UI’s you can take the Dell widgets off and load up your own apps

- The new “Dell Stage” functions the same in portrait and lanscape. The original Dell Streak was default to landscape except in the phone screen

- Swype added to the Dell Streak. On the downside, the Dell Streak’s original custom keyboard actually had a number pad on the right hand side that we liked which is absent on Swype and the Android keyboard. So far we can’t find the original Dell Streak Keyboard

- Android 2.2 and all it’s froyo goodness

- The AT&T network indicator now says “H” for HSPA + instead of topping out at 3G this may be cosmetic and we’ll test the speeds later

We’ll have more on this awesome update later meanwhile here’s the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAdd1...layer_embedded
Source: http://thedroidguy.com/2010/11/dell-...-2-2-and-more/

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-30-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878
More cities including LA, Miami, and more get Sprint 4G. Congrats EVO owners

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/s...-ohio-miami-a/
4G is pretty pimp when you wanna go fast on the intawebz or talk and surf or navi, talk and surf... mine is on right now b/c I wanted to hurry up and listen to a Notorious BIG song that was taking foeva to load on utube...
Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 PM

And on that note about Froyo, I'm getting pretty good battery life so far:

Its still at 16% at the moment and I'm gonna run it as long as I can. AutoSync was on at all times with all my CyberMonday deal e-mails coming in every other hour. lol. :shakehead WiFi was on about 3/4ths of the time and Display is on 10% about 3/4ths of the time with the other time being on AutoBrightness. I also did use a Bluetooth headset while on the phone during those voicecalls.

Display took up the most because I was also watching some YouTube and Flash vids in the browser, playing a few games like the unofficial PvZ and running the SNES emulator
mines at 34%. Not bad since I left the gps on by accident for most of the day. not sure why it's not noted in the use...probably because I wasn't using any gps aps

I was also using the browser quite heavily. Im sure it will last more than a day if I actually turn shit off when im done.

Im posting this from my phone too. would have taken me a week to do it with a blackberry.

Last edited by sho_nuff1997; 11-30-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 AM

I'm staying away from kernels for now. Still recovering from what seems like post traumatic stress from thinking I've bricked my phone. Even though it has not announced, you guys agree that the official 2.2 for the Vibrant (US Version) is a definite right? Just a matter of time?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Safety Car

mines at 34%. Not bad since I left the gps on by accident for most of the day. not sure why it's not noted in the use...probably because I wasn't using any gps aps

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...0_233205-1.png

I was also using the browser quite heavily. Im sure it will last more than a day if I actually turn shit off when im done.

Im posting this from my phone too. would have taken me a week to do it with a blackberry.
That's not bad at all. GPS usually doesn't get used up even when its on unless you open maps, a website that requests your location or any other apps that require your location.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Safety Car

I'm staying away from kernels for now. Still recovering from what seems like post traumatic stress from thinking I've bricked my phone. Even though it has not announced, you guys agree that the official 2.2 for the Vibrant (US Version) is a definite right? Just a matter of time?
It probably is around the corner. Just a matter of the carriers putting their bloatware on it and distributing it out.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Safety Car

LG's upcoming high end phone. The LG Star compared to the iPhone 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULT5...layer_embedded

Dual-core Tegra 2, Android 2.2, 4-inch screen, HDMI port, and 8MP. Looking pretty good for an LG.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Safety Car

The new Angry Birds Seasons is out in the market. Still free. Haven't even finished the original version. lol.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM

I finished the original on my ipod....took a while.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not a tech guy. But I'm a bit confused about all the Android phones. Meaning I find it hard to compare. Some will offer it free. Some will cost $199. And many inbetween.

iPhone for example, I know they offer 3GS vs 4. One is old and one is new. Simple.

So how do I shop for an Andriod phone?

I can go by what I need and features, but sometimes there may be a need I don't know about yet.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cabanalane
I'm not a tech guy. But I'm a bit confused about all the Android phones. Meaning I find it hard to compare. Some will offer it free. Some will cost $199. And many inbetween.

iPhone for example, I know they offer 3GS vs 4. One is old and one is new. Simple.

I can go by what I need and features, but sometimes there may be a need I don't know about yet.
Well it usually gets narrowed down to which carrier you prefer first. Since there's different Android phones per carrier. Then do you want a physical keyboard or not. Next comes the screen size, do you want a big one or a small one. Finally, the different processor speeds and the interface. HTC has Sense UI, Samsung has TouchWiz, Dell has their StageUI, Motorola has their MotoBlur and then there's the Vanilla stock Androids. Each interface just has a different presentation and widgets exlusive to that UI but still the same Android base. Meaning, they should all be able to run the same apps and games as long as the processor and gpu can handle it.

The best way to narrow it down is to see what you plan to use the phone for and which carrier then break down your choices from there as you research what's available for that carrier. If you're going to use the phone just to make phone calls and e-mails then the low end phones are a great choice and these are usually the smaller screen sized phones. If you're gonna use it to make phone calls and check the web and play a movie here and there then a mid-range phone will do just fine and these are usually the mid screen sized phones. If you want to play games, run all the apps out there, and sometimes make phone calls then aim for the high end phones and these are usually the mid to bigger screen sized phones. Each company has those three ranges. And its best to play with the phones to see how their interface is. Luckily though, the interface can be changed with an app in the market on all devices.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by cabanalane

I think I know what you're asking. Android is not a "phone". It's just the operating system. And what I mean by that is just like Windows and Apple. They are operating systems. Apple just happens to make their own products. Windows don't actually make computers, all they make is the operating system.

So basically that's what an Android phone is. It's just a phone with an Android operating system. Again, since Apple makes their own product, they are able to present one type of phone. Android does not make phones, only the operating system. So Samsung, Motorola, LG, HTC, etc makes the phone and they put the Android operating system into the phone because currently, it is one of the best phone operating system on the market.

So it is up to you to find any phone you want. But every "Android" phone will have the same operating system. The only difference would be the hardware. Like a certain phone will have faster speeds, front facing camera, slide out keyboard, etc. But if they come with an Android operating system, then that just means you have the same on screen interface with any other "Android" phones. Hope that wasn't too confusing.....

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 12-01-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM

LG's upcoming high end phone. The LG Star compared to the iPhone 4:

Dual-core Tegra 2, Android 2.2, 4-inch screen, HDMI port, and 8MP. Looking pretty good for an LG.

Phone looks good... nice to see LG with a rig coming out... back old school, my Lil Bro loved the LG phones... he would be amazed at these new phones, if he was still around...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 PM

The new Angry Birds Seasons is out in the market. Still free. Haven't even finished the original version. lol.
oh noooooo.... Im barely making it on the original! I have been stuck on one screen for a couple dayz....
Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So I have an issue with google maps on my HTC Desire. Hopefully someone can help me with it.

It doesn't seem to update my location when I'm on 3G. If I'm on wifi (at home), the location seems to be fine, but when I'm not home and refresh google maps, it still shows my location as near my home. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by uzzmaan
So I have an issue with google maps on my HTC Desire. Hopefully someone can help me with it.

It doesn't seem to update my location when I'm on 3G. If I'm on wifi (at home), the location seems to be fine, but when I'm not home and refresh google maps, it still shows my location as near my home. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Have you tried clearing the maps cache?

Home screen --> Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications --> All --> Maps --> Clear data

Location shouldn't have to depend on your internet/data connection if your gps is working properly so I'm not sure why its not updating. Are you only having problems getting maps to update your location? The browser should also grab your location when you open it. If that works, then it sounds like your maps needs to be reinstalled.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Hey, heard people root their phone to remove bloatware. Where do I go and delete this bloatware? I don't even know what's bloatware and what's not.....

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread