Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I'd suggest you switch teams too after that one. Getting pummelled by the lowly leaves? Humiliating.

Guessing the Hawks thought the Leaves would lie down and just donate 2 points...
Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
15 game suspension is idiotic, that's punishing the result not the action. Back in the day if someone pulled the pacifist routine Orpik pulled a star player would have been targeted. Thanks to the orpikification of the league it makes sense to go back to that. Had Thornton just taken Crosby out with a knee on knee hit and crippled him he would have only got 5 games for kneeing, maybe less since it would have been a first offense.

That's the message shanny sent out here, next time premeditate and make sure it's a hockey play gone bad.

How many times had a player been grabbed and punched a few times with the glove on in a hockey game? Pretty much every single one yet how many times do we see a guy get knocked out by it on the first jab? Anyone who thinks Thornton's plan was to concuss Orpik with 1 punch is crazy. But that's a 15 game infraction for punching (which is allowed) a defenseless player (which isn't allowed).

Neal kneed a guy in the head who had just been tripped to the ice and was also defenseless at the time. 5 games for a for his 3 suspension in 6 years all for head infractions. Kneeing is never acceptable in the NHL I would assume doing it to a defenseless player would make it a more detestable act. Apparently it isn't.

The code is dead, shanny put the final nail in the coffin. Long live the era of the dirty cheap shot.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:26 PM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
https://vine.co/v/hQqmIgKw2vW dupuis/kelly slashes. kelly slashed dupuis back twice as hard.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by Rounder
https://vine.co/v/hQqmIgKw2vW dupuis/kelly slashes. kelly slashed dupuis back twice as hard.
Lol, yeah, after dupuis broke Kelly's leg, Kelly slashed him back. How dare he, premeditated revenge, 15 game suspension.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Stop blaming Shanny people. He's nothing but a puppet who's strings are being pulled from above. Put the blame squarely where it belongs. Gary, the owners and most importantly, the players.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice bounce-back win by the Hawks tonight.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 AM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
pens have FIVE starting D men out. going to be an interesting rest of 2013.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Stop blaming Shanny people. He's nothing but a puppet who's strings are being pulled from above. Put the blame squarely where it belongs. Gary, the owners and most importantly, the players.
Where did all the Shannananban apologists go?!?!

He was going to save the league!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Rounder
pens have FIVE starting D men out. going to be an interesting rest of 2013.
That would assume the the Pens actually played defense to begin with.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Where did all the Shannananban apologists go?!?!

He was going to save the league!!!
Meh...my hope at the time was that Shanny would've handed out suspensions with consistency and with lengths that would make players think twice before a head-shot.

I did not think it would be this inconsistent...Case in point is the recent Pens/Bruins debacle. Not sure how Neal only gets 5 games and yet, Thornton (deservedly) gets 15...the latter's hit on Marchand was just as brutal IMO.

Say it again: LOVE hockey but it is sad to watch such stupidity/incompetence regularly from its leadership...
Old 12-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Deryk Engelland's lovely hit against Detroit should get him some games off...Again, WTF is with this team and their chippy play?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Meh...my hope at the time was that Shanny would've handed out suspensions with consistency and with lengths that would make players think twice before a head-shot.

I did not think it would be this inconsistent...Case in point is the recent Pens/Bruins debacle. Not sure how Neal only gets 5 games and yet, Thornton (deservedly) gets 15...the latter's hit on Marchand was just as brutal IMO.

Say it again: LOVE hockey but it is sad to watch such stupidity/incompetence regularly from its leadership...
If you understood back then, what I think you are beginning to understand now, that you cannot police the game from the outside (See the train wreck experiemnt of the Instigator Rule) you would have seen this coming a long way off.

Shannananban is a powerless tool of The Count, and the NHLPA.
He is a false front, window dressing for the league to make it seem like they are tough on cheap shot violence......meanwhile the NHLPA will fight tooth and nail to keep all their players on the ice regardless of what kind of B.S. they do. The Count knows nothing of the game and thinks The Code is "barbaric" and out of touch, so he served up his Instigator Rule, and thus opened the flood gate for cheap shot artists that never have to answer the bell for their gutless actions.

This is why the Bruins "exploded" after cheap shot after cheap shot from the Penguins. Penguins have a rep for doing this again and again for years and never having to answer for it. It reached breaking point for the Bruins and we saw what we saw.

How that scumbag Neal only got 5 games for cheap shot kneeing a player in the head is mind numbing. Back before the Instigator rule, a coward like Neal would never had done that.....he would have had to answer for that, and Neal knows he does not want to answer for it....therefore he would not pull off that kind of

...but in today's NHL.....anything goes. It's disturbing the lack of respect for fellow players in the game today. Look at that piece of Torres...he takes guys heads off, and never answers for it. Some would say wait a minute!! He did answer for it, he's not playing.....yea......after he took out how many players exactly Back in the day Torres wouldn't need to get suspended so many times, as he would have had his clocked cleaned enough to where he wouldn't be a "repeat offender".

.......5 games for Neal, and 15 for Thornton........Madness!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Will probably need the Pens fans to comment here but is Pittsburgh's strategy of being so chippy so that no one touches Sid or Malkin?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Will probably need the Pens fans to comment here but is Pittsburgh's strategy of being so chippy so that no one touches Sid or Malkin?
I think it's a bad strategy, every cheap shot they take and don't have to answer for lead Crosby and Malkin closer to a season ending injury. If players won't man up and defend their actions, the next recourse is cheap shot at their star players.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

But will simply re-instating the instigator rule solve all of these problems?

I honestly don't know the answer to that. I suspect no, because the lack of respect amongst players is simply too big now. Lets start fining teams and removing Cap dollars for next season. Then we'll see how big a role the goons play in today's NHL.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

I honestly don't know the answer to that. I suspect no, because the lack of respect amongst players is simply too big now. Lets start fining teams and removing Cap dollars for next season. Then we'll see how big a role the goons play in today's NHL.
I dunno...I would've hoped that if the NHL was intelligent enough to do so, setting a mandatory 20-game ban for any headshot and then after 3 strikes, out for the year would've worked well.

Not sure why this has to be so complicated.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom

There is no Catch-all solution, however getting rid of the instigator rule will dramatically cut back on the cheap shot nonsense.

The current situation has players NOT having to answer on the ice, and apparently (thanks to the NHLPA) off the ice either.

Players being held accountable on the ice by their peers will change things dramatically.....and it will change the dis-respect of other players safety within the league that is running rampant right now.

Player will think long and hard before doing something stupid.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

There is no Catch-all solution, however getting rid of the instigator rule will dramatically cut back on the cheap shot nonsense.

The current situation has players NOT having to answer on the ice, and apparently (thanks to the NHLPA) off the ice either.

Players being held accountable on the ice by their peers will change things dramatically.....and it will change the dis-respect of other players safety within the league that is running rampant right now.

Player will think long and hard before doing something stupid.
Well, this is just a smattering of contradictions between the League office, players, and the clubs...

So, we are correct in saying that the League wants fighting gone, right? Meanwhile, the players and some clubs want fighting kept around. So, if you have 2 contradicting goals, how can they achieve anything in the first place? This is is so screwed up.

Therefore, while this issue is being spun around, wouldn't a set template of suspensions (instead of just throwing a dice and randomly giving games out) be the better process? Again, back to Neal and his ridiculous 5 gamer for Muay-Thai-ing Marchand versus Thornton getting 15...? If Thornton's is heinous enoguh to get 15, Neal should be at LEAST 10.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't think the league (Gary) wants fighting gone. If they did, it could have easily been removed since hockey is the only sport on earth that still allows fighting.

Now dirty plays, do they want those gone? different conversation IMO.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Thorny's going to appeal, my guess is they drop it to 8 games. I would think they don't want the to go to phase 2 of the appeals process because the 3rd party arbitrator may make a mockery of the department of player safety.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Well, this is just a smattering of contradictions between the League office, players, and the clubs...

So, we are correct in saying that the League wants fighting gone, right? Meanwhile, the players and some clubs want fighting kept around. So, if you have 2 contradicting goals, how can they achieve anything in the first place? This is is so screwed up.

Therefore, while this issue is being spun around, wouldn't a set template of suspensions (instead of just throwing a dice and randomly giving games out) be the better process? Again, back to Neal and his ridiculous 5 gamer for Muay-Thai-ing Marchand versus Thornton getting 15...? If Thornton's is heinous enoguh to get 15, Neal should be at LEAST 10.
When did the league ever say they wanted to abolish fighting?!?!?

...and a set template for suspensions would be worse than Shanannaban.
I could see an elbow that was not going to the head, but victim ducked at the last minute and took elbow to the head....and Boom....player suspended for 10 games under some dumbass set template...because of some B.S. zero tolerance hit to the head nonsense.

No thanks!!

It's really simple, let the players police themselves, and a lot of the B.S. cheap shots will go away....not all of them, because that can never happen, but a vast majority of them. If you got the b@lls to pull off a James Neal knee to the head...go for it.....but be prepared to pay the piper for your gutless cheap shot.

No set template nonsense that will be debatable and have a ton of pissed off GM's, owners and fans....just simple "Code" of conduct on the ice by the players.

There's always gonna be cheap shot artists in hockey (and in all sports)...but at least with the removal of the instigator rule, when the cheap shot is done, the player is gonna pay....unlike now where they skate away, turtle, or just puss-out on a fight when they know they got it coming.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

When did the league ever say they wanted to abolish fighting?!?!?

...and a set template for suspensions would be worse than Shanannaban.
I could see an elbow that was not going to the head, but victim ducked at the last minute and took elbow to the head....and Boom....player suspended for 10 games under some dumbass set template...because of some B.S. zero tolerance hit to the head nonsense.

No thanks!!

It's really simple, let the players police themselves, and a lot of the B.S. cheap shots will go away....not all of them, because that can never happen, but a vast majority of them. If you got the b@lls to pull off a James Neal knee to the head...go for it.....but be prepared to pay the piper for your gutless cheap shot.

No set template nonsense that will be debatable and have a ton of pissed off GM's, owners and fans....just simple "Code" of conduct on the ice by the players.

There's always gonna be cheap shot artists in hockey (and in all sports)...but at least with the removal of the instigator rule, when the cheap shot is done, the player is gonna pay....unlike now where they skate away, turtle, or just puss-out on a fight when they know they got it coming.
Okay...isn't it a known fact that the League wants to abolish fighting to make it more "accessible" to US fans?

I thought it was pretty much admitted to by Gary et al.

As for your scenario, I would suggest that the template-automatic-set-games is in place but with allowances for review. So, if the said victim did accidentally run his head into an elbow, then maybe the 20 game ban does not apply?

What I'm getting at is that if they make the punishment sizable enough, the creeps who have zero respect in the game will think twice before sending someone to next year with a cheapshot.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Okay...isn't it a known fact that the League wants to abolish fighting to make it more "accessible" to US fans?

I thought it was pretty much admitted to by Gary et al.

As for your scenario, I would suggest that the template-automatic-set-games is in place but with allowances for review. So, if the said victim did accidentally run his head into an elbow, then maybe the 20 game ban does not apply?

What I'm getting at is that if they make the punishment sizable enough, the creeps who have zero respect in the game will think twice before sending someone to next year with a cheapshot.
As for fighting....nope. Never heard of what you are talking aboot.
It's always teh peeps that don't care for the fisticuffs.

What you are saying is essentially what Shananananban does now.
Reviews it, then makes a call. Meh...it's a train wreck.
You get all this "intent" non sense, and angle of attack, did player see it coming, did they move, where was the puck....all in slow-mo.

There is no need for monday morning quarterbacking on what was going on.
Every time they do that "review" they always piss off someone...and most of the time Shannanaban gets it wrong.

...and "every" hit to the head starts out with 5 games, or 10 games
So I can pull a Torres on Hossa, and only get 5 or 10 games...and in another instance a guy's elbow hits a guys head because the guy moved into it, and Shanananban thinks it was an elbow to the head, and that guy gets 5 or 10 games?!? Same as Torres?!?!?

Nonsense.

It's pure craptastic. No Thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:20 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

A recent survey suggested that more than two-thirds of Canadian hockey fans support banning fighting at all levels of the sport, but many current and former players don't even consider it a debate worth having.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/curr...8868--nhl.html

NHL says no appetite to change fighting rules as debate rages on
http://globalnews.ca/news/878488/can...bate-rages-on/
Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Pengoons
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 07:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ya yummy I don't think there's any appetite in the league office to get rid of fighting. Quite the opposite actually.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by dom
Pengoons
They won't settle down until teams systematically start taking dangerous runs at Malkin and Crosby. When those 2 are in fear of their own safety from cheap hits they may request that their team mates tone down the dirty play. I don't mean hard 100% legal hits either, they need to be the constant target of borderline hits so they understand what the problem is.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

And the Pengoons continue to live up to their reputation. Shanaban may as we'll move to Pittsburgh.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label
They won't settle down until teams systematically start taking dangerous runs at Malkin and Crosby. When those 2 are in fear of their own safety from cheap hits they may request that their team mates tone down the dirty play. I don't mean hard 100% legal hits either, they need to be the constant target of borderline hits so they understand what the problem is.
Unfortunately you're probably right.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Okay boys...I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. Just was under the impression that the League was trying to abolish fighting (as in their ultimate goal).
Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Watching Part 1 of 24/7. Had to fast forward through all the douchy Alfredsson parts, almost lost my dinner.
97BlackAckCL (12-17-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

@ "Pengoons"...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
the 3rd party arbitrator may make a mockery of the department of player safety.
too late...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Pens beat the leaf blowers with 5 of their top 6 D-men out and 2 of their top 6 forwards

Must be all that "chippy" play
Rounder (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Pens beat the leaf blowers with 5 of their top 6 D-men out and 2 of their top 6 forwards

Must be all that "chippy" play

No, its because the Leaves are terrible.
97BlackAckCL (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Dion's a douche, and Kadri should have a spot on the olympic diving team, he really needed to change his tampon last night.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Kadri should have a spot on the olympic diving team, he really needed to change his tampon last night.
The irony here is that the Pengoon-haters would say the same about Sid...
Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Dion's a douche, and Kadri should have a spot on the olympic diving team, he really needed to change his tampon last night.
Are you talking about the tripping call with a couple of minutes left? If so, that WAS a clear trip. Take off your Pengoon glasses.

Can't argue with Dion being a douche. But is his man closet ever nice.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

No, was referring to earlier in the game, every time someone got within 3 feet of Kadri, he went down like he got shot
Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

BTW, dom...you're not commenting on Bortuzzo's lovely hit to the head on D'Amigo?

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread