Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
My liver may never recover
Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Curlers won't be locked out
Curling? They only do that every 4 years.

I know....I've seen it...every 4 years.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
at least I have Dexter
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

...about as classy as you can get.

...in case it was missed in the 9/11 thread....

Due to the labor negotiations, NHL players and ownership representatives have been gathering in New York this week. That gave several members of the organization a chance to visit the 9/11 Memorial and pay tribute to Ace Bailey and Mark Bavis. First, Kings governor Tim Leiweke and president Luc Robitaille visited the memorial yesterday. Today, a group of players went to the memorial site. Both groups brought along a special plaque made to honor Bailey and Bavis. (The inscription, in case it’s too small to read, says, “From your friends at the L.A. Kings. You were with us every step of the way.”)

Background: The Los Angeles Kings lost two of their scouts on 9/11.
They were on board one of the planes.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,942 Likes on 14,058 Posts
They locked out yet?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
SPECTOR ON NHL: BETTMAN BAD FOR BUSINESS

Sometimes, it is good to step outside your comfort zone to confirm something you already thought you knew.

So we asked economist and author Andrew Zimbalist, a favourite voice from lockouts past, what it means, exactly, when a professional sports league is facing its third lockout in as many collective bargaining agreements?

"It means it is poorly managed," said our frank, 64-year-old professor of economics at Smith College in Massachusetts, and author of 20 books, including May The Best Team Win: Baseball Economics and Public Policy.

"Mr. Bettman, although he has some qualities that are admirable, has made a lot of bad decisions," Zimbalist said this week, before Thursday's confirmation that we are heading towards Bettman's third lockout since becoming the commissioner of the National Hockey League in 1993. "He has not promoted effective management at the team level, and he is unwilling to admit his mistakes and walk away from them."

Zimbalist is not a hockey man. He doesn't even purport to watch the game.

He has, however, studied the various sports economies over his years. Ironically, all of that studying has left Zimbalist in a position to draw the exact same conclusions as anyone reading this column.

"The teams below the Mason Dixon line in the United States are not profitable. Some of them are bleeding tens of millions of dollars a year," he said, as if one needs a PHD to figure that out.

So, how would our renowned economist from an esteemed school of economics in Massachusetts begin to solve the NHL's economic problems? Exactly the way a couple of roughnecks would, over a beer at the Paddy McSwiggins in Fort McMurray.

o Allow relocation in Canada, the northern U.S., or "further internationalize the league."

o Encourage sound management practices. (Read: quit signing stupid contracts.)

o Extend revenue sharing

"Unless you do some of those things it's inevitable that you're going to bang heads with the players' association. To come to the table and say we want you guys to drop your share in revenues from 57 per cent of revenues to 42 per cent is a declaration of unreasonableness and irrationality."

For the record, our solution to the constant labour strife in the NHL is simple: phase the NHLPA back to a 50-50 split of the revenues, say, one per cent a year over a seven year CBA. In the meantime, continue to grow revenues, so the pain would barely be felt.

Once you're done, it's a 50-50 split. From that moment on, both sides can keep their damned hands out of everyone else's pockets.

That alone isn't enough, Zimbalist says.

"The bottom line is this: the league is not well managed, it's not well structured, and that has to change. Ownership and Bettman can't expect the players to assume the whole burden of those problems.

"Gary Bettman doesn't want to admit that his southern strategy was a bad strategy, back in the 1990s," Zimbalist said. "It is his intransigence around this issue that's created this problem."

It's hard to argue that, other than to add, those poor markets are worth 25 jobs per team to the NHLPA. Contraction does not help the players one bit, so if it is to be avoided, then the PA must share some of the pain in other areas to preserve those jobs.

History tells us, however, that Bettman ventured into the four corners of the USA for one reason: that mega-bucks U.S. TV contract that forms the economic pillar of all major North American sports. In the end, the NHL secured all the markets -- many of them weak -- but the league never did get that giant TV deal.

"That's the main difference," Zimbalist agrees. "In hockey, the U.S. contract is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-6 million a team. In football, it's $150 million per team. In basketball and baseball it's closer to $35 million a team."

Bettman's NHL has to prop up all those money-losers in Florida, Nashville, Phoenix, Carolina and the second teams in New York and Los Angeles. But their presence has never provided the TV revenues that would make those markets self-sustaining.

Now, with the second lockout in seven years upon us, the damage on those already wonky markets will be the most severe.

"If you have another work stoppage, hockey will bounce back in Canada. I don't think there is any question about that," Zimbalist said. "What happens in the United States is another question.

"Hockey is on a very thin string of popularity in the United States," he concludes. "Whether it can bounce back in the presence of all the competition that is springing up around it is another question. Soccer, for instance, is an ascendant sport here.

"Whether it loses its status as the fourth most popular sport and begins to sink, is an open question at this point."

It looks as if we're going to find out.
Ya pretty much.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Race Director

I didn't see that LA King's tasteless photo-shoot at a GRAVE site.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

The owners are also bad for business.

Spend like idiots and then whine about it afterwards?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Make a pilgrimage to Hockey Town

Season Ticket holders will be honored at The Joe this season...you get to chose the name that will go up on our concourse.

Name on Recognition Board: domchamoogackbriolabel

I couldn't resist a fun practical joke as an ode to Hocky Talk. I would have gone longer, but got cut-off. If they actually paint this on the concourse AND we have a hockey season AND I can find it, will be sure to post a pic.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-13-2012, 08:33 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by dom
Heard some some nice things about llach (spelling whatever ) this week. Speaks up in the meetings and tells the owners to learn how to run your business.
Winning.

Problem is, when teams are forced into spending 45mill at minimum, there's no where to turn for relief. Biggest mistake in hockey is that cap floor. Until they get rid of that or Gary Bettman turns into Robin Hood, there's no hope for this league.
As you suggested many moons ago. Luxury Tax. Let the rich teams (or the ones who actually have a real fan base and want to win) pay up for talent. Enough of this A's for everyone mediocrity and forcing franchises into markets which can't legitimately support a team.

Read recently somewhere that Canada can realistically support up to 12 NHL teams and I believe it.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Season Ticket holders will be honored at The Joe this season...you get to chose the name that will go up on our concourse.

I couldn't resist a fun practical joke as an ode to Hocky Talk. I would have gone longer, but got cut-off. If they actually paint this on the concourse AND we have a hockey season AND I can find it, will be sure to post a pic.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Honored to be included!

This is cool!

We'll call this the Michael Scott goal celebration. If the fictional former boss of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton ever did follow up on that hockey career, this is what his goal celebrations would be all about -- zany, self-absorbing and over the top. Luckily, Finnish hockey player Iiro Vehmanen is around to give us a glimpse of what it might look like to see Michael Scott score a goal. Vehmanen, who plays for TuTo in the Mestis league in Finland, took celebrating to new level recently. Upon scoring a goal in his team's first game of the season, Vehmanen sprinted to the boards, jumped up on to them, used the glass to hold himself up and then blew a kiss to his adoring fans. Check out video of the goal below with yet another stick tap to Yahoo's Puck Daddy blog. The goal comes at the 0:30 mark.

Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/2012/09/finnish-...ion-video.html
Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

domchamoog......is that anything like a Hot Carl?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Winning.

As you suggested many moons ago. Luxury Tax. Let the rich teams (or the ones who actually have a real fan base and want to win) pay up for talent. Enough of this A's for everyone mediocrity and forcing franchises into markets which can't legitimately support a team.

Read recently somewhere that Canada can realistically support up to 12 NHL teams and I believe it.
I may have to drive down to see that one.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Lamest lockout. Ever.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Such a great game...ruined by rich retards.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

domchamoog......is that anything like a Hot Carl?
More like a tossed salad, with pancakes and syrup, and something about a toy robot getting stuck somewhere....
Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Bettman has been nothing but for this game.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
More like a tossed salad, with pancakes and syrup, and something about a toy robot getting stuck somewhere....
So you are experienced?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, but who hired him? So, blame his employers.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

3rd lockout under his watch, but I do agree with the twig, that the owners are at fault as well

So you are experienced?
No, just something I heard...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Poo says the lockout is going down for sure.

...which probably means they agreed on a deal.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/83...rs-cba-expires

NHL imposes league-wide lockout

NHL Officially Locks Out Players
Unable to reach agreement on a new labor deal, the NHL locked out its players at 12:01 a.m. Sunday.

NEW YORK -- What has been written on the wall for months is now official. The NHL has imposed a league-wide lockout, the sport's second work stoppage in eight years.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman warned the players throughout this past year -- more aggressively during the labor negotiations during the past two months -- that the league intended to lock out the players if a new deal wasn't reached by midnight Saturday, when the collective bargaining agreement expired.

That deadline came and passed with little discussion and a lack of substantive talks in the waning 48-hour window to reach an agreement.

The two sides remain far apart on the core economic issues of a new deal.

The NHL Players' Association said the union wanted to continue talks with the league Saturday, but was rebuffed.

"Today, we suggested that the parties meet in advance of the owners' self-imposed deadline of midnight tonight. Don Fehr, myself and several players on the negotiating committee were in the city and prepared to meet. The NHL said that it saw no purpose in having a formal meeting," NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr said in a statement. "There have been and continue to be private, informal discussions between representatives of both sides."

Meanwhile, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who had lunch with Fehr on Saturday but no formal discussions, said the league saw any further talks as futile given the significant gulf that separates the two sides.

"We spoke today and determined that there was no point in convening a formal bargaining session in light of the fact that neither side is in a position to move off of its last proposal," Daly said via email.

"I'm sure we will keep in touch in the coming days and schedule meetings to the extent they might be useful or appropriate. We are sorry for where we are. Not what we hoped or expected."

As the NHL owners imposed their lockout, the league's website removed any reference to current players and all player images.

The NHL's online store also pulled any player-related gear, and all jerseys for sale were blank early Sunday morning.

Since the league's contract with the players expired, it no longer has rights to use the players' marks.

A lockout, the third in Bettman's tenure as commissioner, appeared imminent in the days leading up to the league's deadline. Bettman received a unanimous vote in support of imposing a lockout from the owners gathered at Thursday's board of governors meeting in New York.

The players launched their own display of solidarity: Almost 300 gathered at a Midtown Manhattan hotel down the road for meetings with NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr and the rest of the negotiating committee on Wednesday and Thursday.

League superstar Sidney Crosby spoke out on behalf of the players and expressed frustration in facing a work stoppage.

"We've shown we're willing to give, but they've got to be willing," Crosby said. "It seems like there's a pretty hard line there, and they're not willing to budge."

Crosby, like many other players, said he'd consider playing overseas in the event of a lockout. According to one agent, several of his players had already reached tentative agreements to play in Europe.

Whether the two sides keep an open line of communication or choose to go dark -- the league and union went months without talking in 2004 -- remains to be seen, but there is a stark philosophical divide on what a new deal should look like.

While the league wants to reduce the players' share of hockey-related revenue -- "We believe 57 percent of HRR is too much," Bettman said Thursday -- the union is not interested in any deal that would require the players to take any immediate, absolute further reduction in salary.

The sides last exchanged proposals Wednesday, but failed to forge common ground. The NHL offered the players a 47 percent of the share when fully implemented (their first two proposals offered 43 and 46 percent, respectively) while the players suggested a limited growth in share tied to revenue growth.

With time winding down and a large gap to bridge, both sides dug in and refused to budge.

The last lockout forced the NHL to forfeit the entire 2004-05 season.

Donald Fehr said Thursday that a lockout was not a necessity, but rather a choice the league made.

"If it comes to that, it's a choice," Fehr said. "It's not a requirement, it's not something anybody has to do. If that's the way it's going to be, then unfortunately, that's the way it's going to be."
Old 09-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, the AHL is entertaining.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

NHL.com is kinda interesting right now. Any article regarding the lack of a CBA has the comments disabled so every unrelated article that has them turned on is filled with fan venom directed at the count. Apparently if you use his name, your comments get deleted but it's still fun to watch them try to keep up with the sheer amount of nasty comments directed towards them.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

7 years ago, the fans sided with the League. This year? Revenue is up to $3B and the League still wants to fix the agreement they wanted 7 years ago.

Logic and intelligence? Who needs both if you're filthy rich...?

Diehard Hawks fan...Always was.

But, this lockout is the most retarded of all the ones that has happened in all the professional sports leagues to date. I may go back on my word but who knows if I'll watch when hockey comes back. Absolutely disgusted.
The following users liked this post:
TeknoKing (09-17-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Well there goes my game in December for sure. Three years till I get to see one now probably. Bettman
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Race Director

well, the subtitle says it all, let's start Azine League

http://www.ign.com/games/nhl-13/xbox-360-128182
Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Cap floor killed the CBA.

With the Count placing teams is piss poor small markets like Phoenix, Atlanta, etc...and then implementing a Cap floor...well, that was never going to work as the cap floor will continue to skyrocket, but the small market teams will never be able to keep pace....thus they will cry "uncle".....and now we have a lockout. Of course the major market teams will side with the small market teams and their plight....why? Why not? They want an even better deal for themselves too if they can get one.....so why not ride on the backs of the small market team cap floor mess.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=RCW0VsfR9FM
Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Ovie spending entire season in Russia: http://tracking.si.com/2012/09/17/al...2_a2&eref=sihp
Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Adios Ovie.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

The bigger picture is adios NHL...you stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid people. Popularity at an all-time high and you start a lockout.

You NEVER go full-retard. The NHL just did.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
Just bought AHL tickets.

Malkin signed with Magnitogorsk, so did Gonchar.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Yumcha
You NEVER go full-retard.
Here is my wacky full-on retarded solution:

1. Fire Bettman
2. Scale down players portion of rev gradually to 50% over 7 years
3. Allow luxury tax to be paid into a pool to support floor for smaller teams
4. Move Coyotes to Salt Lake City
5. Move Ducks to Seattle
6. Move Islanders to Quebec City
7. Move Panthers to Hamilton, ON
8. Move Blue Jackets to Cleveland
9. Move Devils to Ft. McMurray
10. Last but not least, allow the Wings switch to the Eastern Conference
Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 09-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rounder
Just bought AHL tickets.

Malkin signed with Magnitogorsk, so did Gonchar.
tickets for what team?

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread