Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Talk about changing of the guard in the west..
Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257
Talk about changing of the guard in the west..
Definitely. Kings, Blues, Bettmans, and Predators...in place of Sharks, Hawks, Wings, and Canucks.

Gotta love parity! The remaining 2 series are gonna be some events.

My initial picks for the West:
Blues in 6
Predators in 6
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
@ Cawks
Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
@ Cawks
How are those Leaves?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Same as the Hawks, out of the playoffs and prepping Tee times.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Same as the Hawks, out of the playoffs and prepping Tee times.
Your Leaves had a head-start to the golf courses...no fair.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Definitely. Kings, Blues, Bettmans, and Predators...in place of Sharks, Hawks, Wings, and Canucks.

Gotta love parity! The remaining 2 series are gonna be some events.

My initial picks for the West:
Blues in 6
Predators in 6
The west has been crazy, A preds blues conf final would be absolutely awesome to watch
Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't know, your Hawk's should be getting pretty good with a putter by now.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
I don't know, your Hawk's should be getting pretty good with a putter by now.
But, will never be as good as the Leaves.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
Rangers may as well not show up. Melrose picked them to win.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

And what game were the refs and video replay people watching on that Neil kick in? Can't believe that was allowed to stand.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:55 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

What about pushing Lundqvist out of the crease with his stick???

People wonder why they were pissed.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
3-0 for Yotes. Over for Chicago. No chance.

Waldorf, I wish your Kings luck against the Blues. At this point, it's just for me...very interesting playoffs so far with the remaining teams.
Sorry, Statler. Sux that Bettman's team took out the Hawks and continue on.

Welcome to the boring hockey series of Preds & Yotes.

4 goals on 20 shots, and 3 of them came only on 12 shots in the 3rd period.

You gotta have better goaltending than that to win in the playoffs.

Hawks ran into the Smith wall. 39 shots and no goals.....Smith is very, very impressive.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm not being a Crawford apologist, so...please, let's not go down that tangent. Also, I will NOT contest the better goalie because, clearly, Smith was very good...and the remaining goalies playing for all the remaining teams in the West are all top tier. I'm not entirely sold on St. Lou's goalies as I think Elliot and Halak are byproducts of a terrific defensive scheme...but, Quick, Smith, and Rinne are definitely all-stars.

That being said, Crawford is built on a team whose purpose is to build from D and out...the goalie is "extra". He just needs to be serviceable. In yesterday's elimination game, Crow WAS serviceable. The goals all scored by Phoenix were products of terrible defensive coverage and Chicago's retarded stubbornness in NOT moving players from in front of the net.

The 1st PP goal, Hanzal stood in front of Crawford, untouched. So, the goalie was screened and had zero chance on the shot from the point. The goals that followed afterwards were from players who were left undefended in front of the net...So, you tell me: was Crawford as bad as he was? Or was it the D?

I say the D.

This, of course, does not absolve the guy for his big-time softies he let in for the 2 OT winners in Games 2 and 3.

We'll see what happens...I've seen Crawford enough to believe he can become "better" if the D in front of him improves. Until then, I don't even think any of the top tier goalies I named above would be successful in Chicago's system.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
So is Crawford a name brand goalie?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

In the playoffs you need a goaltender that is
A: top notch.
B: one that will steal you a game all on his own.

Crawford is neither.

The Hawks with Crawford between the pipes chances of winning another Cup are the slimmest of margins.

The Hawks will be looking to fix their goaltending this off season.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:02 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

First of all NOBODY in LA besides the cities clown for a mayor calls them self an "angelino"

You can't be serious about that statement.

Secondly nobody in LA gives a crap about NY. We can care less.
We neither love nor hate NY....and FWIW...the city of L.A. is a cesspool.

Why am I rooting for the Sens?
...perhaps because Torts is a "play the victim jackass"....perhaps because I'd love to see Richards go down in the first round......or perhaps it's because it's always great to see the low rank take out the high rank team.

...and you are pulling for the NHL Yotes?!?!?!

Nice to see you can't be wound up and made to rant. Wow.

sorry you hate everything. I lived in L.A. for 24 years and was an Angelino as I was a New Yorker the first 13 years of my life.

I am a Yankee and Ranger fan. Those are my teams. As an ex ANGELINO, I rooted for the Angels (although I hate them) when I went to game 7 of their world series against the Giants.

I am pulling for the Coyotes as a resident of Phoenix over everyone until they meet the Rangers. That does not make me a fan of either team (Angels or Coyotes).

Is there anything you won't judge with derision?

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
If the brand name is Sonia

Last edited by e30cabrio; 04-24-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems KCET and numerous others would disagree with you on what collectively residents of L.A. are called.

http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_fo...-angeleno.html

Angelino, Angeleno, and Angeleño
by D. J. Waldie
on January 10, 2011 2:00 PM

Who are we? In a previous post, I used the Google Books Ngram Viewer to compare two of the words that have been used to name those who live in Los Angeles: Angelino and Angeleno.

There's another word, original and more correct. The word for us is Angeleño (with a tildé over the n). The sound of ñ is roughly approximated by the "ny" in canyon. In telling the Spanish alphabet, the letter ñ is pronounced "enye."

Even after the Americanization of Los Angeles (and until the early 1860s), nearly all residents of the city - Anglo and Latino both - spoke Spanish. Presumably (if it ever came up in conversation), they called themselves Angeleños, because that's the usual form of the noun.

The Oxford English Dictionary notes that the first use in print of a word denoting a resident of Los Angeles appears in California of the South, published in English in 1888. The authors of California of the South (Walter Lindley and Joseph. P. Widney) were Anglo residents of early Los Angeles writing for readers in the East. They assumed that Angeleño was the common name for Los Angeles residents.

Not Angelino or Angeleno.

The OED notes that the ending -eño continues to be the regular formation of the word describing residents of a city or a region: think of Norteño. The OED parenthetically adds that Angeleño is "also used" to name residents of Los Angeles, California.

The American Heritage Dictionary also points out that the Spanish word for the inhabitations of cities in Latin America named Los Angeles is Angeleño. (There are more than 100 towns in Latin America called Los Angeles.) Interestingly, English language newspapers in the Philippines routinely refer to residents of Los Angeles - a major city on the island of Luzon - as Angeleños.

So how did the tildé disappear from our collective identity and the Spanish pronunciation that it represents? After the first influx of eastern and midwestern immigrants in the late 1870s, Los Angeles lost its everyday bilingualism. Ñ was one more letter to maintain in the typesetter's case of fonts when type was set by hand. And the ñ was hard to distinguish from an English n, making typographical errors a problem. The typesetters weren't familiar with Spanish orthography anyway. And we were careless Americans who had little time for the details of Spanish pronunciation.

Ñs disappeared; a sound disappeared from our common speech. We lost a little of our music along with our memory.

For years the Los Angeles Times tried to get residents and tourists to pronounce the city's name in some approximation of Spanish. It had no effect. When I was growing up in the 1950s, the city was variously Lhas ANG-less or Loss AN-jell-ease. Today, it's mostly lawss-AN-juh-luhs.

Oh . . . and the name of the city should be spelled Los Ángeles, with an accent over the a.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Again NOBODY calls themselves "angelinos". The article you posted has no merit.

Sure it was a term used many moons ago, and the clown mayor tries to use it often, and the media as well, but sorry, nobody in L.A. calls themselves an "angelino".

Are you sure you lived out here?

As if peeps in Compton, Van Nuys, Reseda, Venice, Manhattan Beach....call themselves "angelinos". ....perhaps it's only the people who live in downtown L.A. that do....yea...I'm guessing not.

New Yorkers calling themselves New Yorkers?.....yup...you bet...with pride.

Angelinos....not so much.

Perhaps saying you were a former "angelino" works for you on the East Coast

Maybe.....I dunno.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Statler:

Clearly I don't follow the Hawks, the fans, the Hawks media critics as much as you do, but do the aforementioned really believe as you do, that there is no big goaltending issue for the club?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

^^ Again NOBODY calls themselves "angelinos". The article you posted has no merit.

Sure it was a term used many moons ago, and the clown mayor tries to use it often, and the media as well, but sorry, nobody in L.A. calls themselves an "angelino".

Are you sure you lived out here?

As if peeps in Compton, Van Nuys, Reseda, Venice, Manhattan Beach....call themselves "angelinos". ....perhaps it's only the people who live in downtown L.A. that do....yea...I'm guessing not.

New Yorkers calling themselves New Yorkers?.....yup...you bet...with pride.

Angelinos....not so much.

Perhaps saying you were a former "angelino" works for you on the East Coast

Maybe.....I dunno.
I don't talk about it and am not currently living in Manhattan although I have a CO OP there.

I lived everywhere from Balboa Island to Hollywood over the decades.
Including Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and for a year near Hoover when I was in college (can you guess which one)????

I hope the Rangers win, but know they may not. That is ok. I have a new year with the Yankees starting.

I just find it humorous when people from So cal spend so much energy deriding New York (code for Manhattan or THE CITY) and then saying they don't so energetically.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL

Heck no. That's not how Chicago built the team (around a goalie).

He was meant to step in like Niemi. Of course, that would work if the team right now was as deep as the 2010 squad...this one? Not so much. They need to fix that D and look at perhaps upgrading the goalie position.

It will be interesting to see what Bowman does.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Statler:

Clearly I don't follow the Hawks, the fans, the Hawks media critics as much as you do, but do the aforementioned really believe as you do, that there is no big goaltending issue for the club?
Oh yes...the goaltending is an area the team needs to look at. The unknown is as per my comment to 97BlackAck is the cart/horse issue...Do you fix the D and then the goaltending will improve? Or you fix the goaltending?

As much as they hate the Red Wings, the Hawks are a carbon-copy of Detroit's model: swift-skating defense and puck-possession. So, most of their $$$ are tied up to support that model. Goaltending is placed at a lesser importance.

Clearly, it worked...but, that was in 2010. Last year, write-off, as you had a team that was gutted thanks to the salary cap. This year, additions and lack of that clearly have not made the Hawks back to their vintage 2010 form.

But, in short: yes, goalie will be looked at. But, I would not be shocked if management decides to stick with Crawford.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:44 PM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
exciting few days coming up with all the game 7s.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

In the playoffs you need a goaltender that is
A: top notch.
B: one that will steal you a game all on his own.

Crawford is neither.

The Hawks with Crawford between the pipes chances of winning another Cup are the slimmest of margins.

The Hawks will be looking to fix their goaltending this off season.
Well, the current Hawks model was always to win DESPITE their goaltending. He just had to be there to make the occasional stop (look at the shot differential!). Too bad that the base-model was flawed. This year's version was not very good at getting rid of traffic in front of the goalie and defensive zone coverage was often very spotty.

So, if you combine that with a "serviceable" goalie, you get a 1st round elimination.

This goes back to our huge argument back then. I was just saying that Chicago did NOT need a $$$$-name goalie because they had the defense and personnel in front to counter so-so goaltending.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rounder
Yep...joining some colleagues at the bar shortly. Wings, beer, playoff hockey on the tube...can't ask for more.

...well, I can...Wish it was my team on the TV.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I don't talk about it and am not currently living in Manhattan although I have a CO OP there.

I lived everywhere from Balboa Island to Hollywood over the decades.
Including Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and for a year near Hoover when I was in college (can you guess which one)????

I hope the Rangers win, but know they may not. That is ok. I have a new year with the Yankees starting.

I just find it humorous when people from So cal spend so much energy deriding New York (code for Manhattan or THE CITY) and then saying they don't so energetically.
No energy spent on on deriding New York. Like I said, nobody cares about NY. You have a misconception about SoCal.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I dunno too many Manhattanites who refer to themselves as being from THE CITY.

From my experience, that term is more commonly used in London for those who work/live in the financial district.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

No energy spent on on deriding New York. Like I said, nobody cares about NY. You have a misconception about SoCal.
It is impossible to ave a misconception about a place one lived from 13 to 42 on and off, mostly on and the entire time from 13 to 39.

But enough of this, go Panthers!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I dunno too many Manhattanites who refer to themselves as being from THE CITY.

From my experience, that term is more commonly used in London for those who work/live in the financial district.
Trust me it is a commonly used term.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Rounder
Indeed. Minus the flightless birds of course.

The matchup I'm most excited about is the Preds/Yotes - that series gonna be a barn burner with two of the most historic franchises and educated fan bases in teh league.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 PM
I feel the need...

Trust me it is a commonly used term.
Okey dokey, Mr. Angelino.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. Minus the flightless birds of course.

The matchup I'm most excited about is the Preds/Yotes - that series gonna be a barn burner with two of the most historic franchises and educated fan bases in teh league.
I literally lol'd my Wife looked at ,e like I was insane. (I'm used to it)

lol
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by dom
If Holland is the genius we all think he is now's the time to prove it.
T'will be easy to look like a genius after he convinces Parise and Suter to don the Red Jersey. Didn't know those two were close buddies, so I'm feeling better and better about this, especially if Lidstrom takes a pay cut to come back for one more run at the cup.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM
I am #76,361,211,935

Received 344 Likes on 201 Posts
Nope, is that normal?

Am I wrong that that was a wholly bs goal?
In these playoffs its normal. Ok, ok .. I'll concede that the Neil goal was a little
"iffy" .. but only cuz I'm feeling charitable today.

Goalie interference, cross-chccking and all the other BS seems to be invisible
or is just being accepted. How some of those guys don't end up with broken
backs from the cross-checks they take is beyond me.

Anyway, its a 1 game series now .. Go SENS Go!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for that. I just can't believe how it was "missed" that he steam shoveled him out of the crease, forget the kick.

How about this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...dent-in-game-6

Rangers coach John Tortorella said "No comment" in a conference call Tuesday about the incident between Ottawa wing Milan Michalek and defenseman Dan Girardi during Game 6, as well as Senators wing Chris Neil's warning to defenseman Michael Del Zotto.

In the third period of the Rangers' 3-2 win, CBC footage showed Michalek appearing to kick Girardi twice in the fracas in front of the net that led to Ottawa's controversial second goal. Players have been suspended for similar actions this season.

Following the game, Neil, whose hit gave Brian Boyle a concussion in Game 5, was not pleased with Del Zotto after the Rangers defenseman hit Neil in the third period. It took Neil a few minutes to get up before he skated off on his own.

"I'm sure I'll catch him with his head down one of these times," Neil said according to reports.

Seems like he is saying he intends to injure.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

It is impossible to ave a misconception about a place one lived from 13 to 42 on and off, mostly on and the entire time from 13 to 39.

But enough of this, go Panthers!
It is clearly possible.

Good luck to your Rangers. I'm pulling for the Sens upset.

...and please don't call yourself an "angelino" you sound ridiculous.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Okey dokey, Mr. Angelino.

Even Fibi knows nobody goes by that term.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I never called myself an angelino, especially considering I have not lived there in over 10 years. (although I have a condo there and go if just for Carney's as often as I can)

You can get thousands of people to say they saw Elvis at 7-11, Bigfoot, Nessie and that that Dianetics is a valid religion.

That don't make it so.

Here is an idea, how 'bout we return to the topic?

I am a die hard Ranger fan, used to their failure. I will be sad if they lose but again, seeing as I doubt they have a cup run in them it is preferable to pull that band aid off quickly.

I hope the Kings win up to and until they meet the Rangers in the finals.

Stay classy!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Noted, Mr. Angeleno.
The following users liked this post:
e30cabrio (04-25-2012)

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread