Tesla: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 07:37 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
TSLA price is about to cross into $1700 soon.
Instead of spreading FUD, “everyone” should concentrate on getting some shares today. By tomorrow it might be too late. Quarterly earnings report imminent.
Use the profit to buy your favorite car. .
The following users liked this post:
#1 STUNNA (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 07:40 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
It’s too bad Tesla is still plagued with quality issues. Some of the Model Y deliveries look like they were wrecked and put back together
Old 07-21-2020, 07:53 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by kurtatx
It’s too bad Tesla is still plagued with quality issues. Some of the Model Y deliveries look like they were wrecked and put back together
Not disagreeing with you on that aspect. It’s still a work in progress. But they are consistently improving in all aspects. In all seriousness, I would recommend you to buy TSLA instead of Tesla car if you are not yet sold on the quality.

Six months ago when I recommended the same it was near $400. If you had put 50K at that time you could have driven home in your dream Taycan today.
#1 STUNNA (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 09:44 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,815 Likes on 6,569 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
E tron price and weight wise compete with Model X. E Tron has the finest build quality and refinement in Audi lineup. People pay for it.
Tesla is practically out in EU in Premium segment.
Model Y is too cheap to compete in this segment.
Size is more important when it comes to the EU, they want smaller vehicles there. Which of course you know, that's why you didn't bother to mention that. The fact that the etron is smaller than the X but similar in weight isn't a good thing, but you know that, but you'll say absolutely anything to make a ridiculous point. The fact that the etron is a similar size to the Y, but costs significantly more, weighs a lot more, and has a lot less range aren't good things for most people. If you live in the EU and you want to get an EV SUV than the etron is probably the best choice right now, because the X is too big and the Y won't be available for who knows how long. When the Y becomes available you'll see the etron sales drop because it's heavier, has much less range, and costs much more. Sure some will pay extra for the "nicer" interior but most won't.
The following 2 users liked this post by #1 STUNNA:
00TL-P3.2 (07-21-2020), Comfy (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 07-21-2020, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Size is more important when it comes to the EU, they want smaller vehicles there. Which of course you know, that's why you didn't bother to mention that. The fact that the etron is smaller than the X but similar in weight isn't a good thing, but you know that, but you'll say absolutely anything to make a ridiculous point. The fact that the etron is a similar size to the Y, but costs significantly more, weighs a lot more, and has a lot less range aren't good things for most people. If you live in the EU and you want to get an EV SUV than the etron is probably the best choice right now, because the X is too big and the Y won't be available for who knows how long. When the Y becomes available you'll see the etron sales drop because it's heavier, has much less range, and costs much more. Sure some will pay extra for the "nicer" interior but most won't.
Model Y has about 200 mile range with airconditioning that Alex on Autos reviewed. No one in EU seriously consider it for range as Model 3 is also getting 200 mile ranges.

Audi E tron has 118 Inch wheel base, much taller vehicle than Model Y with ride height adjustment. Its a real luxury vehicle. Surpassing any other electric vehicle in Refinement. Refinement is not just interior quality but body motion control, wind / tire noise and bump suppression.
so why you think it is small?. such huge vehicle in width and wheel base never had selling point being small.

Europe do alot indepth reviews and clear said what is consider small.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/...-e-2020-review

New Honda e 2020 review

It can turn 180 degrees in a street just 8.6 metres wide, so this urban EV is brilliantly manoeuvrable and a doddle to park.There’s great grip, too, not least because the e wears Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres, which give more bite than you might expect an EV such as this to have. On the plus side, they don’t seem to unduly affect the ride quality or refinement either.

Over patchy road surfaces the Honda feels a little jiggly, but when you hit a bigger bump, the thud never arrives since the suspension softens the blow. The ride is more settled at higher speeds, but it’s certainly not busy or nervous around town. It’s more comfortable than pretty much any petrol-powered supermini on sale today – and it’s a lot quieter, too.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:06 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 07-22-2020, 07:21 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

In fact he is the only person I had to do it, since I realized (Warned by several members too) that talking to him was like talking to a brick. It’s not a two way interaction in a sense we are accustomed to. His arguments are childish and illogical and there’s no point interacting with him. The only good thing about him is he is fiercely loyal to and supportive of Acura.
BTW who’s picture is that?
Old 07-22-2020, 10:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
The Ex-Tesla Executive Electrifying Mass Transit

Not exactly Tesla (former Tesla exec making city busses)
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
#1 STUNNA (07-23-2020), Comfy (07-27-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 10:43 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Stunna dug deep for that meme.

@ how long the charade lasted, there's only one member I can think of who has given SSFTSX that kind of attention.
The following 3 users liked this post by Costco:
#1 STUNNA (07-22-2020), Comfy (07-22-2020), Mizouse (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Sanest Florida Man

While all other car manufacturers lost money last quarter, the bloated and wasteful Tesla posted a profit, overpriced talent FTW!

Old 07-22-2020, 03:27 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Costco
Stunna dug deep for that meme.

@ how long the charade lasted, there's only one member I can think of who has given SSFTSX that kind of attention.
That's a local meme, that pic was taken like 5 miles from my house
Old 07-22-2020, 03:34 PM
Azine Jabroni

The Gigafactory is going in Austin, I believe. Looks like the plan is to put it like 5 minutes from COTA

https://www.builtinaustin.com/2020/0...ntives-hearing

party.
Comfy (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 03:43 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Tesla has just achieved 4 quarters of profit, and are now eligible to be included in the S&P 500, which means a lot of investment portfolio managers need to purchase about 25 million shares of stock.

Comfy (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 04:38 PM
Sanest Florida Man

The Gigafactory is going in Austin, I believe. Looks like the plan is to put it like 5 minutes from COTA

https://www.builtinaustin.com/2020/0...ntives-hearing

party.
Elon officially announces it will be near Austin.

Making Cybertruck, Semi, 3 and Y for the east coast there.
The following 2 users liked this post by #1 STUNNA:
Comfy (07-22-2020), kurtatx (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 04:55 PM
Sanest Florida Man

He's says he really liked Tulsa and they might go there in the future for other projects. I wonder if the Supreme Court ruling that half of Oklahoma was part of Native American land including part of Tulsa played a role in the decision.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:55 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
it’s for “East” coast but makes it smack dab in the middle of US
Old 07-22-2020, 05:24 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Giga Shanghai local parts sourcing increasing at 5-10% per month, expecting to be at least 80% by the end of the year, if not more.

Local suppliers in China have also been very competitive on their pricing, which is helping reduce M3 costs in China
Old 07-22-2020, 05:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Mizouse
it’s for “East” coast but makes it smack dab in the middle of US
Yes they want to make the Cybertruck in the midwest. The biggest reason for the factory is the Cybertruck
Old 07-22-2020, 05:31 PM

Wasn’t a serious question. But ok.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:13 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Tesla has just achieved 4 quarters of profit, and are now eligible to be included in the S&P 500, which means a lot of investment portfolio managers need to purchase about 25 million shares of stock.

https://twitter.com/TeslaPodcast/sta...33496725651459
Now that all the talk by FUD posters about Tesla never showing a profit has been trashed officially, we can get back to business.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
While all other car manufacturers lost money last quarter, the bloated and wasteful Tesla posted a profit, overpriced talent FTW!
All manufacturer lost money?
I am still waiting where Tesla sold all the vehicle in quarter except those 30K vehicles in china. who are at bargain basement of $38K price. That is only factory with full operation.

overpriced talent cannot built car that can deal with 130 degree temperature and car goes up and down on Sand dunes.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ctric-SUV.html
For speeds above 74.6mph the e-tron is lowered by up to 26mm from its normal height of 172mm. In all, the ride height can be adjusted by up to 76mm depending on speed and driving style.

Tesla: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News-rmt28eq.jpeg

Old 07-22-2020, 10:16 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Dodge Dubbed Most Appealing Mainstream Brand by J.D. Power

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Surprised this hasn't made it on here...
Worse than JLR cars? Ouch...
The part which was not mentioned.. The conflict comes when you see what Dodge is surrounded by. J.D Power’s Automotive Performance Execution and Layout (APEAL) study tabulates owner assessments of vehicles after 90 days of ownership using some pretty broad metrics (available here). The goal here is to uncover which brands offer the best overall experience. Apparently, Dodge owners aren’t quite as happy with their purchase as those who went to a Porsche dealership. Hardly surprising. Yet we were fairly gobsmacked to see the same was true for both Lincoln and Cadillac. Premium brands are supposed to offer a superior experience and Ford Motor Company has certainly stepped up its game in that respect. Cadillac? Meh. Forgive the editorializing, but it seems that General Motors’ crown jewel suffers from a prolonged identity crisis and has succeeded more in changing its lineup than in successfully evolving it. Porsche scored the highest of all brands with 881 APEAL points out of a possible 1,000. It was followed by Lincoln (876) and Cadillac (874) before Dodge (872) came in to surprise everyone with some help from truck brand Ram (871). The next bundle of entries were every remaining luxury brand that isn’t Tesla — which J.D. Power awarded a whopping 896 points but deemed it ineligible for any awards. We suppose its role as an electric brand sort of complicates things. The official reason, according to J.D. Power, is that Tesla didn’t give the outlet permission to survey its customers in the required states.
In their own scoring Tesla achieve top spot (even beating Porsche by a wide margin), but they didn't award it citing technical problems. Dodge getting the Top spot prominently in both surveys adds fuel to my my suspicion that some money has changed hands.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:56 AM
Sanest Florida Man

So while the rest of the automotive industries sales are down YoY, Tesla sales are growing (#nodemand) even though their manufacturing plants were shutdown for 2 month, and they still made a profit, while everyone else lost money. Yay I just got lucky for seeing the writing on the wall and investing all of my money into them.

https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/f4...6-6623b00475a6
The following 3 users liked this post by #1 STUNNA:
Comfy (07-23-2020), Costco (07-23-2020), Legend2TL (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 03:06 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
How they managed during the pandemic is extremely impressive.

Not the only reason for their success, but it goes to show how much brand cachet they have. I've said it before - in the Silicon Valley, the Model S is more popular than the 5-series, A6, and E-Class combined.

Yes, I do know that they are all cheaper than the Model S too... that's kinda my point. Their rise to success in the US reminds me of Lexus in the '90s.
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
#1 STUNNA (07-23-2020), Comfy (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 09:46 PM
Sanest Florida Man

This was my favorite answer they gave on the conference call yesterday. Some one asked for an update on the "Alien Dreadnought", which is Tesla's project to highly automate car manufacturing, they tried it initially with the Model 3 and it was a failure, and they had to scale it back, but now they've learned a lot from the early "production hell" days of the Model 3 and they've implemented changes in their future vehicle designs to make them more easy to automate.
Investor -- please, may you update us on Alien Dreadnought? How has your thinking evolved? And what is needed in order to get closer to fundamental physical limits?

Elon Musk -- Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer

Well, we bring a massive amount of effort into manufacturing engineering, the machine that makes the machine. There's probably 1,000%, maybe 10,000% more engineering required for the factory than for the product itself, so we're certainly making progress. I mean, battery and powertrain factory, Gigafactory in Nevada is, I don't know, alien-driven or version is 0.5, something like that, starting to approach version 1. We're getting way better at making cars.

You can see that in Giga Shanghai. You'll see that even more with Berlin, and we're really changing the design of the car in order to make it more manufacturable. The fundamental architecture of Model Y will be different in Berlin. It may look the same, but the internals will be quite different and fundamentally more efficient architecturally than what we've done to date.

Drew, would you like to add to that?

Drew Baglino -- Senior Vice President, Powertrain and Energy Engineering

Yes. I was going to expand on that. I think part of the Alien Dreadnought concept is not just automation but minimizing the number of process steps and complexity involved in the manufacturing system, which involves really integrating design and manufacturing across from like when the raw materials enter the factory to the finished goods exit. And we're learning so much through doing that.

Vertical integration is extremely important to this. But the supply chain, if you put like a GPS tracker on a molecule from when it got mined to when it was in a usable product, it would look insane. It would be like, wow. It went around the world like six times.

So with vertical integration, maybe you can only go around the world once. It would be a huge improvement or not even like half -- I think I get vertical integration would be an order of magnitude improvement, so yes. And its -- do you want to, Drew?

Yes. I think the focus for us is increasing capex efficiency. This is something that we've been working very hard for the past three years, and you can see that we can build new factories for less amount of money and much faster. Those things go together.

It's a better factory for less money in less time.

Yes. Less money means less time, so that's a great advantage. And also reducing this -- and there still is a lot, the amount of inefficiencies. We want every operation to add value to the vehicle, value, meaning moving the atoms closer to the final state.

So we do not want any robot that just moves things.

Or in fact, it's like we want to be super respectful of people's labor. If we're asking somebody to do something, are we sure it's useful? Are we asking them to spend their time in a way that is respectful of their time? But it's like, wow, the -- like the potential for improvement is tremendous. But it's -- I just want to be clear, at Tesla, we love manufacturing. It's awesome, and I really think more smart people should be working on manufacturing.

We want more people. We don't find enough people. People who are interested in designing new lines and trying to do things different, Tesla's got a job for you. And now we've got jobs everywhere.

It's not only in California. Now we've got just in China, in Berlin, in Austin, Texas and in California. So there's plenty of exciting places, and all these places will do original work and challenging meaningful work.

Yes. Absolutely. It's actually extremely exciting and fulfilling to design new production systems. And I think that for some reason, I kind of got a bad rap, especially in the U.S., for a long time.

And I think people didn't think that manufactured -- they sort of put manufacturing is like, oh, this is for some boring, just making copies, whatever. But actually, there's far more opportunity for innovation in manufacturing than in the products itself, order magnitude. So like if there's one thing that comes out of this call, it's like, hey, if you want to help us invent amazing, new manufacturing techniques and have input into the product itself, it's not like you just get touch the product and say, hey, make this product, and it's kind of a lousy design. If you're manufacturing, you get to change the product design, and say, hey, this product, you're asking us to manufacturer is dumb.

Like, great, let's fix it. So it has -- if you work on manufacturing engineering, but you don't just get force fed a sandwich. You get to change the product design. So it's super exciting.

And we evolve the lines even after they're both this rapid evolution of the production system. So --

And there's nothing more rewarding than going from zero cars an hour to 5,000 cars a week or 1,000 cars a day.

Yes. So the long-term sustainable advantage of Tesla, I think, will be manufacturing.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:00 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 07-27-2020, 10:13 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,062 Posts
I've heard from a number of friends that it sucks working for Tesla.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:28 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I've heard from a number of friends that it sucks working for Tesla.
That's the complaint from locals here now that the gigafactory is going here.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Tesla has come a long way in the past 3 years, pretty amazing despite the executive turnover. Hats off to Musk and Tesla workers.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,941 Likes on 14,057 Posts
Combination of marketing and user perception but Tesla reliability is apparently ...like, uber-...

https://acurazine.com/forums/automot.../#post16605894
Old 07-27-2020, 12:48 PM

waiting for Stunna to dig up tweets to refute the claim.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:54 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Mizouse
waiting for Stunna to dig up tweets to refute the claim.
JD Power does a decent job of defending Tesla's quality problems indicating how new they are as a company. Every company drops in the rankings when they release a new car and Tesla has been releasing a new model almost yearly. It does feel like the latest and greatest (Model Y) has more quality problems than average. I have heard the 3 is doing a bit better on that front.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:41 PM
AZ Community Team

JD Powers? About the most pointless quality survey there is .
Old 07-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
JD Powers? About the most pointless quality survey there is .
For a traditional car brand, I agree, but JD Powers points out some major flaws in the current Tesla, which is terrible initial quality.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:03 PM
AZ Community Team

For a traditional car brand, I agree, but JD Powers points out some major flaws in the current Tesla, which is terrible initial quality.
JD Powers is worthless . Dodge is in 1st place for initial quality, Toyota and Lexus are mid-pack? WTF?

No doubt Tesla has faltered in initial production quality with alot of published issues (panel gaps and misalignment, loose fasteners, paint finish,...)
Reverse engineered Tesla's has shown the quality of the components and the design was good to very good.
Everything from the PCB's, battery, power management electronics (MOSFET's), the infotainment displays, wiring harnesses, connectors,...

Overall they are still better somewhat at overall quality in components and design. Build quality has been a work in progress.
Consumer Reports has also revised their 2019 downgrade.
Consumer Reports >>>>>>>>>> JD Power

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...ecommendation/

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-27-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Comfy (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Maybe JD Power doesn’t like Tesla because they don’t advertise so they won’t make a TV commercial that says the words “JD Power” every 5 seconds

:tinfoil:

Ive never denied the fact that some Tesla owners complain about issues upon delivery, but in the long run they love their car.

Comfy (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 09:17 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Audi’s new CEO willingly admits that Tesla is two years ahead of the industry in some critical areas of building electric vehicles.

Markus Duesmann, Audi’s new CEO, has been focusing on electric vehicles and he is taking inspiration from market leader Tesla.

The CEO recently said that he believes Tesla has a two years on the rest of the industry (via Reuters):
“Currently, Tesla has larger batteries because their cars are built around the batteries. Tesla is two years ahead in terms of computing and software architecture, and in autonomous driving as well.”
In order to close the gap, Duesmann has started a new group within the German automaker to “develop a pioneering model for Audi quickly and unbureaucratically.”

He wants to avoid the normal cumbersome process and instead move quickly in a more startup-way, like Tesla.

The new group, called Artemis, has for goal to develop “a highly efficient electric car that is scheduled to be on the road as early as 2024.

Tesla has been known for its efficiency lead in the industry:
In comparison, Audi has disappointed in efficiency with its first electric vehicle built from the ground up, the e-tron.

However, the electric SUV’s lack of efficiency can be explained by the automaker being very conservative with energy capacity in its battery pack — leaving a large buffer.

On the software front, Volkswagen — Audi’s parent company — has been having a lot of issues with its own software in the ID.3 and admitted that Tesla has a lead in this area.

They even started to implement what is internally called the “Tesla catch-up plan” with a new software team earlier this year.

Electrek’s Take

The way I see it, Tesla focused on critical differentiating features early on, like battery module, BMS, drive unit efficiency, thinking that battery cells would become a commodity.

This gave Tesla an important efficiency edge over other automakers making electric vehicles.

Cells haven’t evolved fast enough and in large enough volumes for Tesla and now they are trying to increase production with their own cells — building to their existing lead in other critical electric vehicle technology.

As for Audi, it’s a great sign that they are looking at Tesla as the leader here. They are looking in the right direction.

I am not worried about them. They are making the right move, and they are already having decent success with the e-tron in Europe.

I think their next-gen EV is going to be extremely competitive.
Probably more than 2 years
Old 07-27-2020, 09:21 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Apparently both Giga Texas and Nikola factory in Arizona began construction of their respective factories at the same time. It'll be interesting to see how they make progress, but we all know how it'll end.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:48 PM
Azine Jabroni

I worry more about brands like Honda and Subaru. Honda will survive (Subaru might not), but it's discouraging to hear their executives talking about hybrids as the future when I would rather go full EV or full ICE.
Comfy (07-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Tesla: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News