Tesla: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 12:00 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,815 Likes on 6,569 Posts
Tesla releases new solar panel, slashes prices

For comparison, in California, Tesla previously listed a 7.56 kW medium-size solar system for $19,500 or $2.58 per watt before incentives, and $14,430 after the federal tax credit.

With the new solar panels, which are 10% more powerful according to a source familiar with the matter, Tesla’s medium-size solar system outputs now 8.16 kW and it costs just $16,000 before incentives or $1.96 per watt.

Prices vary by state and specific locations. More specific pricing is going to be available once the configurator is fully updated. We should have more information later today.

Update: Tesla has now updated the configurator and confirmed the new solar panel:

I love watching the prices of solar systems drop every year.

A 20% price drop and 10% output improvement!

Tesla to reduce costs simplified their solar configurations to small, medium, large, XL and it seems that the amount of panels used stayed the same, for example the small size is still 12 panels, but they were able to drop costs another 20% and give you a more powerful system! We're now under $2/watt BEFORE any Federal or state incentives, the US gives 26% tax credit on top of that which drops it to as low as $1.36/watt!

Solar is still relatively expensive in the US compared to the rest of the world, the bulk of the cost comes from soft costs, too many inspections need to be done and lots of red tape.

:ibSSFTSXcomplainsaboutdropinresalepriceofusedTesl asolarsystemnowthatnewsystemsare10percentbetterand 20percentcheaper:
Old 06-21-2020, 01:04 PM
Sanest Florida Man

30% cheaper and some of the most power PV panels in the game, and the best batteries, and the best Solar Glass Roof. Yet another industry that Tesla is dominating
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (06-21-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:11 AM

Received 5,559 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Wish I had the $$ to upgrade the 1.5kW system on my house.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:17 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,062 Posts
Surprised this hasn't made it on here...

JD Power scored Tesla vehicles the worst among 32 major brands in its annual quality study. It’s the first time that Tesla’s cars have been ranked by the influential customer survey now in its 34th year.

According to the JD Power Initial Quality Study, which measures vehicle quality in the first 90 days of ownership, Tesla cars suffered 250 problems per 100 vehicles as reported by customers, compared to an industry average of 166 problems. Land Rover was the second-worst-performing brand with 228 problems per 100 vehicles. Dodge and Kia were tied for the top-rated brand with just 136 issues per 100 vehicles.

The new study is based on responses from 87,282 purchasers and lessees of new 2020 model-year vehicles. It was fielded from February through March 2020. The results follow news of a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) investigation into early Model S touchscreen failures, and a separate report claiming early Model S cars shipped with a dangerous battery pack flaw.

Tesla receives a special callout in the list because the survey doesn’t cover all 50 states. However, increased sales of the Model 3 allowed JD Power to collect enough data to measure quality for the first time. “Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla doesn’t grant us permission to survey its owners in 15 states where it is required,” said JD Power’s Doug Betts. “However, we were able to collect a large enough sample of surveys from owners in the other 35 states and, from that base, we calculated Tesla’s score.”

Last summer, reports emerged that Tesla was cutting corners on Model 3 production to meet aggressive goals. The company had to build a temporary tent to meet Musk’s ambitious target of producing 6,000 Model 3’s per week. Concerns that Musk has prioritized quantity over quality are a recurring theme for Tesla, that have recently been extended to the Model Y. The data collected by JD Power bears this out.

“What we call the blocking and tackling of building the car, that’s what Tesla is not good at according to this data,” said Betts in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. Tesla customers surveyed complained of body panel accuracy, rattles, wind noise, and paint jobs, according to Betts.

Here’s the full ranking, showing the problems per 100 vehicles as reported by owners in JD Power’s 2020 IQS:
  1. Dodge (136)
  2. Kia (136)
  3. Chevrolet (141)
  4. Ram (141)
  5. Genesis (142)
  6. Mitsubishi (148)
  7. Buick (150)
  8. GMC (151)
  9. Volkswagen (152)
  10. Hyundai (153)
  11. Jeep (155)
  12. Lexus (159)
  13. Nissan (161)
  14. Cadillac (162)
  15. Infiniti (173)
  16. Ford (174)
  17. Mini (174)
  18. BMW (176)
  19. Honda (177)
  20. Toyota (177)
  21. Lincoln (182)
  22. Mazda (184)
  23. Acura (185)
  24. Porsche (186)
  25. Subaru (187)
  26. Chrysler (189)
  27. Jaguar (190)
  28. Mercedes-Benz (202)
  29. Volvo (210)
  30. Audi (225)
  31. Land Rover (228)
  32. Tesla (250)
Worse than JLR cars? Ouch...
Old 06-25-2020, 10:18 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
i was waiting for it to be posted on here, but I figured stunna wont post it and will post some tweets to refute it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mizouse:
Costco (06-25-2020), SamDoe1 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 10:40 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
That list is surprising, especially the top 3 and Mitsubishi at #6. I think it's been discussed before, it depends on the segment and typical demographic. Cheaper models have fewer features and therefore less things that can go wrong.

Agnes will mostly drive her Buick to the grocery store and to bingo night and won't even use half of the new features on her car, or might not even know they're there.

Silicon Valley tech bro designs/programs/tests/uses various UX/UI setups on a daily basis and notices every stutter or slow down, no matter how minute. He probably has his own ideas about how things should be implemented or located. With his car being an EV, the white noise of tires, little creaks and rattles are much more easily apparent.

On the other hand, I know people who have worked in various levels for Tesla and they say yeah, build quality is definitely not befitting of the price tag.

Just an anecdote, but I learned more about my sister's Macan during a 30 min test drive than she has during 2 years of ownership. To be fair, I sat there for a while before driving, trying things out and asking the salesman questions, he knew his shit.

My sister doesn't even air up her own tires
Mizouse (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 03:12 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Costco
That list is surprising, especially the top 3 and Mitsubishi at #6. I think it's been discussed before, it depends on the segment and typical demographic. Cheaper models have fewer features and therefore less things that can go wrong.

Agnes will mostly drive her Buick to the grocery store and to bingo night and won't even use half of the new features on her car, or might not even know they're there.

Silicon Valley tech bro designs/programs/tests/uses various UX/UI setups on a daily basis and notices every stutter or slow down, no matter how minute. He probably has his own ideas about how things should be implemented or located. With his car being an EV, the white noise of tires, little creaks and rattles are much more easily apparent.

On the other hand, I know people who have worked in various levels for Tesla and they say yeah, build quality is definitely not befitting of the price tag.

Just an anecdote, but I learned more about my sister's Macan during a 30 min test drive than she has during 2 years of ownership. To be fair, I sat there for a while before driving, trying things out and asking the salesman questions, he knew his shit.

My sister doesn't even air up her own tires
I agree with all of this, the "issue" reporting is not weighted to bigger problems. A failed transmission is counted the same as a loose wiper blade or software update. Still though, to be that much worse than JLR is pretty embarrassing.

That said, this is only the first 90 days. Will be interesting to see what the rating is out to 3 and 5 years.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:44 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
A dodge getting the first place in quality?. Enough said. .
Midnight Mystery (06-26-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
it is perception. As people getting Dodge may have got big discount on purchase so they think getting good value for the money in inital phase.
Tesla has poor customer service and Tesla is brand with highest number of late model of vehicle for sale by consumers. not the demo vehicles by dealers.
some are selling reservations now.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...148353188.html
Old 06-26-2020, 09:48 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I feel it has something to do with who pays these guys better. I'm assuming FCA has some cash to spare after the Peugeot alliance and wanted to make a splash with these surveys. Tesla doesn't pay a dime to any advertisers / promoters and it shows here. It's a "give and take" world we live in, the world that Elon doesn't believe in.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:21 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
it is perception. As people getting Dodge may have got big discount on purchase so they think getting good value for the money in inital phase.
Tesla has poor customer service and Tesla is brand with highest number of late model of vehicle for sale by consumers. not the demo vehicles by dealers.
some are selling reservations now.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...148353188.html
JD Power is not an opinion survey...it's an analysis of data.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:46 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
I feel it has something to do with who pays these guys better. I'm assuming FCA has some cash to spare after the Peugeot alliance and wanted to make a splash with these surveys.
Is this verifiable? I won't disagree that this is untrue; in fact, I have had similar suspicions but they're hard to confirm. Mainly speculation, also does not explain why Chrysler is still ranked 26/32. My guess is that Fiat is grouped under them?

From the Model Y image gallery we saw in the other thread, and as I've heard from people who worked for and/or own Teslas, the problems are numerous. They are also very real.

That was all cosmetic stuff too, rejected upon delivery. Several dozen issues. Who knows what else could have surfaced during this initial 90 day period.

Found the reddit post that the aforementioned gallery came from:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModelY...cted_delivery/

Doesn't matter how much money Elon throws at JD Power (if he did), reports of Tesla issues are commonplace. Even if he Elon hypothetically did grease palms, he should put that money into QC and processes instead.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
how they collect data?. its mere opinion of purchase experiance after few days. Dodge dont have sky high expectation
Old 06-27-2020, 10:44 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

The data points are opinions. Nothing concrete. As far as I know they do not verify anything from dealership or service records that a car had such and such issue. Its simply what the owner tells them with regards to issues. You can make up imaginary complaints too, especially those owners with buyer's remorse after purchase.
So yes, its a scientific analysis of opinions, but agree that it doesn't excuse Tesla's issues.

Last edited by Comfy; 06-27-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:04 PM
Ex-OEM King

how they collect data?. its mere opinion of purchase experiance after few days. Dodge dont have sky high expectation
The data points are opinions. Nothing concrete. As far as I know they do not verify anything from dealership or service records that a car had such and such issue. Its simply what the owner tells them with regards to issues. You can make up imaginary complaints too, especially those owners with buyer's remorse after purchase.
So yes, its a scientific analysis of opinions, but agree that it doesn't excuse Tesla's issues.
Whether you did or did not have an issue is not an opinion.

There are other aspects like the "how satisfied are you with X" questions that are opinions. Don't think those went into this rating as they reported as problems per hundred.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:25 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Tesla has become the world’s largest automaker in terms of market capitalization (Surpassing Toyota) in spite of concerted efforts by media funded by oil and mainstream automakers.
Now Tesla has passed the largest oil corporation of the world, Exxon-Mobile as well. It may be short lived for now, but that is a harbinger of things to come. For those who haven’t bought shares of Tesla yet, don’t tell that we didn’t warn you.

https://business.financialpost.com/t...c-energy-shift
Old 07-02-2020, 08:14 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Tesla has become the world’s largest automaker in terms of market capitalization (Surpassing Toyota) in spite of concerted efforts by media funded by oil and mainstream automakers.
Now Tesla has passed the largest oil corporation of the world, Exxon-Mobile as well. It may be short lived for now, but that is a harbinger of things to come. For those who haven’t bought shares of Tesla yet, don’t tell that we didn’t warn you.

https://business.financialpost.com/t...c-energy-shift
Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
DETROIT (AP) — Tesla says it delivered more electric vehicles worldwide in the second quarter than it did in the first. The increase came even though coronavirus restrictions forced it to shut down its only U.S. factory for much of the period.

The company says it delivered 90,650 vehicles from April through June as it rolled out the new Model Y SUV in the U.S. and China. That’s a 2.5% increase over the first quarter’s 88,400. But it was a 4.8% drop from the second quarter of 2019, when Tesla delivered 95,200 vehicles.

Coronavirus restrictions adopted in the San Francisco Bay Area forced Tesla to close its only U.S. assembly plant in Fremont, California, for almost two months starting March 23. It didn’t reopen until May 11. Its factory in Shangai was closed for only a few days.

The Palo Alto, California, company said it delivered 10,600 of its older Models, the S sedan and X SUV. The newer Y small SUV and Model 3 smaller car accounted for the bulk of the sales at 80,050.

The sales performance beat Wall Street estimates of 72,000 for the second quarter, according to FactSet.

It came with a feverish push to crank out and sell more vehicles in the U.S., and it gives the company a shot at breaking even when second-quarter financial results are released.

The push came with numerous quality problems reported on Tesla owner forums and social media. Many Model Y buyers reported rejecting their SUVs due to mismatched paint and body panels that didn’t fit properly. Many others reported that their vehicles were flawless.

At the end of the second quarter, CEO Elon Musk told employees in an emailed note that prospects for the company breaking even for the period are tight, and he’s asked them to go all-out to make it happen.

In the message to Tesla’s roughly 48,000 workers, Musk wrote that it “really makes a difference for every car you build and deliver.”

In the first quarter, the company eked out a $16 million net profit, its third-straight profitable quarter.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/02/...econd-quarter/
Old 07-02-2020, 08:37 AM
Race Director

Tesla is building mobile "molecule printers" to help make the potential COVID-19 vaccine being developed by CureVac in Germany, the electric-car maker's chief executive, Elon Musk, tweeted on Wednesday.

CureVac, an unlisted German company, has said it is developing portable, automated mRNA production units that it calls printers and which Musk described as "RNA microfactories."

They are being designed to be shipped to remote locations, where they can churn out CureVac's vaccine candidate and other mRNA-based therapies depending on the recipe fed into the machine.

But for the immediate pandemic use — should its vaccine candidate win market approval — CureVac has production sites with regulatory approval in Germany with a capacity to produce hundreds of millions of doses. CureVac is also building a new stationary site that could increase its output tenfold to billions of doses.

The company, based in Tuebingen, Germany, and backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, is a pioneer of the so-called messenger RNA approach, which is also pursued by BioNTech and its partner Pfizer as well as Moderna.

RNA molecules are single-stranded versions of the DNA double-helix. Thanks to their recurring molecular pattern, they can be produced in a relatively simple biochemical process that do not require genetically modified living cells, which are needed to produce most other biotech drugs.

The "microfactories" would be built at Tesla Grohmann Automation in Germany, Musk said in a Twitter thread late on Wednesday night. Tesla acquired the company, which develops automated manufacturing systems for batteries and fuel cells, in 2016 to expand its production.

CureVac has been working with Tesla Grohmann to develop the mobile printer technology, a person familiar with CureVac said.

Musk did not elaborate on his plans. Tesla and CureVac were not immediately available to comment.

Musk, who is known to make impromptu announcements on Twitter, had said in March that Tesla has extra FDA-approved ventilators that can be shipped free of cost to hospitals within regions where the electric-car maker delivers.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/02/...id-19-vaccine/
Old 07-02-2020, 11:33 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I don’t know how to say this again with any more conviction. For the naysayers there’s still time to get into the Tesla bandwagon. You don’t have to buy any cars if you don’t like Teslas but do buy the shares so that all your future car purchases will be literally free (mine will be most likely going forwards).
This is not the limit. It’s only second quarter. There’s more quarters to come even in this year and then there’s battery day. Each of these way points will see Tesla reach new heights. Speaking in Borg’s talk...... “resistance is futile”.
especially for the Francophiles. Overpaid talent is way better than underpaid idiots. .

Last edited by Comfy; 07-02-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:50 AM
Safety Car

yup. Did Tesla increase US industrial exports?. Remember ECB is run by French. They can increase Renault Stock to stratosphere and the rest of investment crowd will follow them . They wont depend on China volume numbers. EU will make an example of Asian economies.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/06/24...-than-in-2018/

Old 07-06-2020, 06:07 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

And it goes beyond $1400 today. .
Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 PM
Sanest Florida Man

This is the best video I’ve seen that explains my thoughts on why I’m all in on Tesla.

their stock was around $300 when this video was released now it’s almost $1400. Imagine how much more money you’d have if you listened to me when I was putting every dollar I could into Tesla when it was dropping down to $200.

i think there’s a good chance they post a profit for Q2 which means they would qualify for the S&P. It’s not to late to invest, and I’ve been saying for a while put all your money into Tesla, I did. I’m doing pretty pretty pretty good
Comfy (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 04:34 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
It’s not to late to invest, and I’ve been saying for a while put all your money into Tesla,
Some said the same thing about Bitcoin.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:17 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by biker
Some said the same thing about Bitcoin.
That is a ludicrous comparison. Bitcoin is simply money sharing and nothing else. They don’t have a factory or employees or even a product, quite unlike Tesla.

I’d seen that video In the past and agreed with it. If you guys think we are paid trolls for Tesla, you may be partly true (about the paid part) since getting compensated by share market is good enough incentive. The difference is that you guys can also join in and make more for yourselves without even buying the car.
#1 STUNNA (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

Tesla sold about 30K vehicles in China. so how it sold 90K in full quarter?. even if you include few thousand in EU.
Plus Honda and other Japanese maker are going with all Chinese made software connectivity and self driving technologies. so it make software developed by overprice talent superflous.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:26 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Honda and other Japanese maker are going with all Chinese made software connectivity and self driving technologies. so it make software developed by overprice talent superflous.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:30 PM
Sanest Florida Man

That is a ludicrous comparison. Bitcoin is simply money sharing and nothing else. They don’t have a factory or employees or even a product, quite unlike Tesla.

I’d seen that video In the past and agreed with it. If you guys think we are paid trolls for Tesla, you may be partly true (about the paid part) since getting compensated by share market is good enough incentive. The difference is that you guys can also join in and make more for yourselves without even buying the car.
Imagine if you had believed the stupid shit SSFTSX says about Tesla and put all your money into shorting the stock, you'd be bankrupt

However if you'd listened to me and put all of your money into the stock you'd be
Comfy (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 12:56 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Think of all the people who put $5-10k into Tesla stock when it was $200, they now have enough money to buy a Model 3 straight cash
Old 07-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

I am not sure he understood what he is saying.

This Germanic auto industry colloboration with Chinese in past few weeks.

1. VW w/ majority stake in JAV JV,
2. VW w/ stake in Gotian High Tech (Batteries)
3. Thyssen-Krupp sells E-Mobility branch to CN investor
4. BMW and Alibaba deepen strategic partnership
5. Mercedes w/ stake in Farasis (Batteries)
Old 07-10-2020, 01:44 PM
Safety Car

Think of all the people who put $5-10k into Tesla stock when it was $200, they now have enough money to buy a Model 3 straight cash
you still have to sell the stocks, pay tax and buy a Tesla.
there are more smart way of money making. low interest rate and stocks are just increasing asset values like housing and creating overpriced talent that no one wants.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:05 PM

It would be pretty unwise to sell your investments just to buy a depreciating asset.
RPhilMan1 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 02:14 PM
Ex-OEM King

Did you?

Did Comfy?

Why not?
Old 07-10-2020, 02:53 PM

1,537.53 USD+143.25 (10.27%)

Old 07-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Did you?

Did Comfy?

Why not?
I put all of my savings into Tesla when it was dropping down to $200. I’m still in hoping for s&p inclusion soon
Old 07-10-2020, 06:37 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Mizouse

1,537.53 USD+143.25 (10.27%)

elon makes minimum wage, all of his salary is performance based
Old 07-10-2020, 10:28 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Did you?

Did Comfy?

Why not?
TBH I didn't particularly care about EVs in general or Tesla as a manufacturer until it released the Cybertruck last November. Until then I was an Acura loyalist if you recall (still am, partly though ). The Cybertruck changed everything for me and I was shocked and disgusted initially (like many others - may be you too), thinking Elon had smoked too much pot. Around that time I had begun seriously researching into the EV car industry and where Tesla is now and the brilliance of the CT dawned on me. It took some time may be a few weeks before I was fully on board. Luckily I got in before it was too late. So not only my next car, but potentially all my future cars will hopefully be paid for by the stock rally (Well, there's nothing stopping me from dreaming, right) .

Last edited by Comfy; 07-10-2020 at 10:38 PM.
#1 STUNNA (07-10-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 12:16 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mizouse
It would be pretty unwise to sell your investments just to buy a depreciating asset.
To be fair, some of those single stock investments are way more volatile than the depreciating asset.
RPhilMan1 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

elon makes minimum wage, all of his salary is performance based
where is performance?
Old 07-11-2020, 06:50 PM
Ex-OEM King

I put all of my savings into Tesla when it was dropping down to $200. I’m still in hoping for s&p inclusion soon
Even though it worked out well for you, this was a terrible move that could have just as easily ended in disaster.

TBH I didn't particularly care about EVs in general or Tesla as a manufacturer until it released the Cybertruck last November. Until then I was an Acura loyalist if you recall (still am, partly though ). The Cybertruck changed everything for me and I was shocked and disgusted initially (like many others - may be you too), thinking Elon had smoked too much pot. Around that time I had begun seriously researching into the EV car industry and where Tesla is now and the brilliance of the CT dawned on me. It took some time may be a few weeks before I was fully on board. Luckily I got in before it was too late. So not only my next car, but potentially all my future cars will hopefully be paid for by the stock rally (Well, there's nothing stopping me from dreaming, right) .
So...you're a fanboi for a car that doesn't even exist in any sort of production form?
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
Mizouse (07-11-2020), RPhilMan1 (07-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Tesla: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News