Honda: Civic News

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
It probably comes down to if the supply is very limited not?

At $35k, that's competing with AWD boosted cars with 300hp, such as Impreza WRX STI, Golf R, and Focus RS. At this moment, I'd think those cars are at least a step above in terms of performance than then CTR. Pricing the CTR similarly to those cars would not be ideal.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,101 Likes on 4,004 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
It probably comes down to if the supply is very limited not?

At $35k, that's competing with AWD boosted cars with 300hp, such as Impreza WRX STI, Golf R, and Focus RS. At this moment, I'd think those cars are at least a step above in terms of performance than then CTR. Pricing the CTR similarly to those cars would not be ideal.
Honda will do it anyway. Why? Because fanboys will buy it simply because of the name and not because of how good of a car it is.

The TLX is priced right smack dab in the middle of 3 series pricing. Which is a better car?
Old 02-10-2015, 05:03 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I'm not sure if it's really fair to say the TLX is priced right in the middle of 3 series pricing.

Take the base TLX and base 320i for exampl. The TLX starts at $31.5k and the 320i starts at $33k. Which is a better car? It depends on whether you want RWD and BMW badge, or you want more standard features. Getting the color that you want, some leather seats, and heated front seats in the 320i, and you are looking at $35.5k - right in line with the TLX Tech. which obviously has a whole lot more features (LEDs vs halogens, moonroof, navi, power+memory seats, rear cam, etc).

Which is better? Well, it totally depends on your priorities.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
RWD + 6MT > all BS features.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Exactly, we've got folks here that would take a base 320i 6MT and RWD for $35k any day of the week over the TLX Tech. OTOH you have people who just want a comfortable yet fun to drive sedan with a bunch of BS features for the same price.

The 320i is obviously the better choice for the former group, while the TLX is the better choice for the latter group.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:30 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I would not spend 30k+ on a car without leather, sunroof, heated seats, and xenons. Those are the basic necessities in a car IMO.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Team Owner

sunroof and heated seats and leather are the most useless features here in LA.

Everyone i know including myself probably use sunroof once every 3 years... i would gladly take the weight saving, extra headroom and no rattles over sunroof.

Have not used heated seat since 2001.

At this point I would take fake leather over real leather... it will age better and your butt will not tell the difference with your pants on.

They are not necessities.

however, 6mt and RWD is something you will feel everyday and every second while you are DRIVING the car. unless you don't care about driving then any car will do.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 02-10-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
sunroof and heated seats and leather are the most useless features here in LA.

Everyone i know including myself probably use sunroof once every 3 years... i would gladly take the weight saving, extra headroom and no rattles over sunroof.

At this point I would take fake leather over real leather... it will age better and your butt will not tell the difference with your pants on.

They are not necessities.

however, 6mt and RWD is something you will feel everyday and every second while you are DRIVING the car. unless you don't care about driving then any car will do.
Only reason for sunroof is so you can get the maximum exhaust noise.. I always drive with windows half up and sunroof down for maximum aural pleasure. Tunnels + downshifting + sunroof =
Heated seats cuz it's cold in winter. And they feel nice. Fake leather is alright but I don't think they offer contrast stitching on it.

6MT I didn't take into consideration. I can't do manual in my daily commute right now. RWD I agree with, but I'd rather take the comforts. Unless of course it's on something more driver focused but on a 200hp entry level luxury sedan I'll take the comforts. I've driven the stripper 320i as I considered it, but did not care for it in any real way.. Styling and interior were too bland without any options. If I were to build the most basic 320i I could humanly drive it would have power front driver's seat (my mom sometimes drives), Xenons, Paddle Shifters (I CANNOT drive an Auto without paddles) and Split down rear seat (I use this very often).. still comes out to $37k before I add any of the stuff I really want and it's already too expensive. I'll take a CPO E92 335i MSport for 40k instead.

Last edited by VR1; 02-10-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Heated seats in Houston

Signed,

Masshole who left because he was sick of shoveling snow his entire childhood
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (02-11-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VR1
Only reason for sunroof is so you can get the maximum exhaust noise.. I always drive with windows half up and sunroof down for maximum aural pleasure. Tunnels + downshifting + sunroof =
Heated seats cuz it's cold in winter. And they feel nice. Fake leather is alright but I don't think they offer contrast stitching on it.

6MT I didn't take into consideration. I can't do manual in my daily commute right now. RWD I agree with, but I'd rather take the comforts. Unless of course it's on something more driver focused but on a 200hp entry level luxury sedan I'll take the comforts. I've driven the stripper 320i as I considered it, but did not care for it in any real way.. Styling and interior were too bland without any options. If I were to build the most basic 320i I could humanly drive it would have power front driver's seat (my mom sometimes drives), Xenons, Paddle Shifters (I CANNOT drive an Auto without paddles) and Split down rear seat (I use this very often).. still comes out to $37k before I add any of the stuff I really want and it's already too expensive. I'll take a CPO E92 335i MSport for 40k instead.
you are young... i always had my windows down bumping 2pac when i was your age. Wait for 10 more years, you probably rarely open you windows, let alone sunroof.
Fake leather in sport trim will have red stitching everywhere.

I would not personally take a stripper 320 either but heated seat, sunroof and leather are definitely not the reasons.
just as regardless what kind of standard features TLX might have, they will not offset its fundamental weakness.

My main DD car has always been 6mt since 2003 in LA.. sometimes it could be tiring but i would not trade it for any autotragic or DCT.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 02-10-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:20 PM
▒JDM Ą KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
White World Premiere

RPhilMan1 (02-11-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 09:33 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Heated seats in Houston

Signed,

Masshole who left because he was sick of shoveling snow his entire childhood
Hey, it gets cold in Houston during winter mornings! And before anyone says that I don't know what cold really is I grew up in Cleveland lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

you are young... i always had my windows down bumping 2pac when i was your age. Wait for 10 more years, you probably rarely open you windows, let alone sunroof.

I would not personally take a stripper 320 either but heated seat, sunroof and leather are definitely not the reasons.
just as regardless what kind of standard features TLX might have, they will not offset its fundamental weakness.

My main DD car has always been 6mt since 2003 in LA.. sometimes it could be tiring but i would not trade it for any autotragic or DCT.
My next car will be a manual. Couldn't make it happen this time.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always wanted a civic type r
Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
Those pictures are really nice.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by VR1
I would not spend 30k+ on a car without leather, sunroof, heated seats, and xenons. Those are the basic necessities in a car IMO.
Maybe for you. I personally would uncheck the box for sunroof, and probably heated seats (though i would check the box for cooled seats even though i live in a cold climate) if i could with Acura.
00TL-P3.2 (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Couldnt agree more. Ill take the weight savings and added headroom, something acura seems to be lacking as of late.

The only reason i know my heated seats in my TL stopped working in 2001 was because my girlfriend told me they didnt and said i needed to get that fixed. I didnt think it was worth wasting my time bringing it to the dealer to be fixed even though it was under warranty.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^so, what you're saying is that you're a bad ass and you dont need no stinkin' heat warmers?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I'll take your heated seats.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The Type R gauges are kind of disappointing. Very fanboyish. The "R+" gauge at the top is nothing short of cheese... I know the Si has the "VTEC" gauge there, but again, unnecessary filler, more shit to fail over time and wasted dollars that could have been put towards something smarter.

The "R+" button seems to be in a terrible location also. It's like they placed it where it is so that you always can see you're driving a Type R, but I find it annoying to press the buttons in that location. Granted, my seat position is further back than most, so shorter folks might not have that gripe. Ideally, that button would be closer to the driver so that it's easier to cycle through the modes without having to lean forward. Silly, I know.

The steering wheel looks like it's from F&F with that red stripe in the middle. The red stitching is nice, but the red stripe is taking it a bit far. Momo called... From 2001.

Also, where is the speedo? It's cool the tach is front dead and center. Is the speedo above it?

On the exterior, the wheels look gorgeous, along with the Brembos. The wheels look they were stripped off the NSX, and honestly, I can't complain. Some of the nicest and most aggressive factory wheels out there.

The aero kit looks to be painted black rather than just being plain plastic. That's a nice touch too. Wonder if that'll transpire on to the production models. However, it's shit like that that makes me feel this car will push into the 30k point.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justnspace
^so, what you're saying is that you're a bad ass and you dont need no stinkin' heat warmers?
I dont wear a winter jacket till it gets below 15 deg. Up until that point its a light spring/fall jacket or light fleece.

That and for what ever reason, with my bad back the seat heaters cause it to ache.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
The Type R gauges are kind of disappointing. Very fanboyish. The "R+" gauge at the top is nothing short of cheese... I know the Si has the "VTEC" gauge there, but again, unnecessary filler, more shit to fail over time and wasted dollars that could have been put towards something smarter.

The "R+" button seems to be in a terrible location also. It's like they placed it where it is so that you always can see you're driving a Type R, but I find it annoying to press the buttons in that location. Granted, my seat position is further back than most, so shorter folks might not have that gripe. Ideally, that button would be closer to the driver so that it's easier to cycle through the modes without having to lean forward. Silly, I know.

The steering wheel looks like it's from F&F with that red stripe in the middle. The red stitching is nice, but the red stripe is taking it a bit far. Momo called... From 2001.

Also, where is the speedo? It's cool the tach is front dead and center. Is the speedo above it?

On the exterior, the wheels look gorgeous, along with the Brembos. The wheels look they were stripped off the NSX, and honestly, I can't complain. Some of the nicest and most aggressive factory wheels out there.

The aero kit looks to be painted black rather than just being plain plastic. That's a nice touch too. Wonder if that'll transpire on to the production models. However, it's shit like that that makes me feel this car will push into the 30k point.
This car is a radical departure from conservative Honda as we know them. Maybe they're experimenting to see what works and what doesn't.

Agreed about the R+ stuff, but that centre stripe is common among more track-focused cars.

And the speedo is probably where it is on other Civics - digital above the steering wheel:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Team Owner

When did UK Civic ever look like the craps we get in the US?
Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by VR1

That's exactly my point lol....everyone has different priorities....

I rarely use heated seats but my wife uses it almost every time she gets in the car in the winter.

I still use the sunroof during city driving. I'm cheap and don't wanna spend extra on AC money...lol....but opening the windows create too much wind noise.

I like using the in dash GPS and like the ELS system in my RDX....I also can't stand my car without HIDs (HID retrofit illegal where I live).

For driving fun our S2K is more than enough - 6MT, RWD, 50/50 weight distribution, engine mounted behind front axle, convertible, 9000rpm, 2800lb.

Originally Posted by TacoBello

No need to worry. I doubt this CTR is coming to North America...LOL.

We will get a car that uses some variation of that engine, that's the only part that is somewhat confirmed as far as I know.

With that said, I think that IS the production model shown in the pics. I guess we will find out for sure in March.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:50 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aman
This car is a radical departure from conservative Honda as we know them. Maybe they're experimenting to see what works and what doesn't.

Agreed about the R+ stuff, but that centre stripe is common among more track-focused cars.

Hmmm... I've never noticed the centre stripe before.. I suppose it maybe helps with track driving and choosing your line? That being said, damn, that gt3 has an ugly interior, lol. I know, I know, it's an rs, but common, for that kind of money they could have done something much better!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 AM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

New Civic Type R: Turbo, 168 mph, not coming to the U.S.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:11 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Seat heaters are nice but not a necessity. I've lived in California my whole life, but it's nice to have when it's 40-something in the morning but 60-something later on in the day.

After owning a car with alcantara seats, I prefer that over anything else.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Now why is it we dont get that?
because we are lazy and can't drive sticks.. I see plenty of people asking for dual clutch on this and Si. Disgusting.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

all these debates for nothing....

Honda hates us.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Thanks Honda!
Old 02-12-2015, 01:31 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Hahaha no surprise really. The only hope is that the engine from the CTR will find its way into one of NA Honda models.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Seat heaters are nice but not a necessity. I've lived in California my whole life, but it's nice to have when it's 40-something in the morning but 60-something later on in the day.

I've used my seat heaters when it's been 80 or 90 degrees. Best thing being out all day hiking or something.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
Hahaha no surprise really. The only hope is that the engine from the CTR will find its way into one of NA Honda models.
B16b > B16a
Old 02-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,857 Likes on 14,004 Posts
More teasing...

Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-25-2015, 05:11 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Amazes me how Honda will produce exciting attention grabbing ads like that and then they don't air them on tv. Instead, they give us drab like this

Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

^ because they hate us.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Remember, Honda hates you.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:55 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco

I hate that BRZ fake alcantara.. give me the FRS seats any day. The Audi and GM alcantara feels much nicer, but I'm not sure about the longetivity.

I do use my heated seats for 2 months out of the year though.

Last edited by MTEAZY; 02-26-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
I hate that BRZ fake alcantara.. give me the FRS seats any day. The Audi and GM alcantara feels much nicer, but I'm not sure about the longetivity.

I do use my heated seats for 2 months out of the year though.
What do you not like about the BRZ seats!?

--

295 tq @ 2500RPM

The 2016 Honda Civic Type R Is 310 HP Worth Of Turbo VTEC Craziness

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News