Honda: Civic News

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Alternatively, read about it here - http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/8/1...gring-7715748/
Looks pretty sweet. I like it.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
He doesn't care. He's driving eyeballs to his site. Like he's been doing for years all across the internet.
and damn, the layout is terrible. No wonder he tries this hard
Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up Edmunds

Buying a $20,000 compact sedan is nothing like buying a sports car, SUV or minivan. More so than any other new car category, buyers in this segment are operating on a very strict budget. Beyond the simple sticker price, there needs to be money left for a down payment, for insurance and, of course, for fuel. Buyers in this category not only need a car, they need a reliable 1.

For most people, car shopping in this segment is a bit like trying to find someplace to eat while traveling. You stumble into a strange town, with strange signs, smells and sights and there, smack in the middle of the hubbub are the Golden Arches. It's taking the easy way out, sure, but it's a known quality, quantity and value-for-money and during a stressful time, a welcome respite from confusion.

It's this attitude that helps explain why in September of 2013, more than 46,000 new-car shoppers found their butts in the seats of the 2013 Honda Civic or the 2014 Toyota Corolla.

Either of these cars could make a safe addition to your garage, but which 1 should it be? We lined up an all-new 2014 Toyota Corolla LE Eco and a 2013 Honda Civic EX to find out which compact sedan is the best of the best-sellers.

Redesigning the Best-Selling Car of All-Time
There are few teams in the automotive industry under as much stress as the 1 that was in charge of the 11th-generation Toyota Corolla. This is, after all, the best-selling car of all time. The balance of "new and interesting" and "approachable and familiar" is a delicate 1.

The majority of that balance-equity was spent on the front end of the 2014 Toyota Corolla which is, for the 1st time, borderline interesting in that kinda-looks-like-a-catamaran way. The rest of the car's sheet metal is supremely, almost elegantly clean. There's not a challenging or awkward line on the car. It's a design that will age well even if it won't win awards.

A similar philosophy has been used on the Corolla's new interior. Controls are large, clear and easy to use. Design has taken a 2nd place to functionality and, most of the time, high-quality materials are placed in areas you're likely to touch. From a usability standpoint, the simplicity present in the new Corolla cannot be overstated.

Toyota has taken less of a leap with the Corolla's engine, which is the same 132-horsepower 1.8-liter 4-cylinder used in the previous Corolla. Our tester, however, in LE Eco trim, benefits from a Valvematic variable intake system that boosts output to 140 hp, but reins in the excitement by reducing torque from 128 to 126 pound-feet.

An all-new CVT (continuously variable transmission) replaces the 4-speed automatic in all but the base L trim car. CVTs have a history of being unpleasant to drive, even by normal commuter standards. They've been called sluggish, unresponsive and just plain awkward. To ease people's fears, Toyota's gone to great lengths to make the CVT in the Corolla feel more like a traditional transmission while still offering the efficiency benefits.

The trade-off for this new technology is that this Corolla LE Eco returns 35 mpg combined (30 city/42 highway) according to the EPA. We managed a 30.5-mpg average with a best tank of 42.7 mpg. Combine that with this car's as-tested price of $19,735 and the Corolla presents a pretty compelling reason to visit a Toyota dealership.

Honda Gets the Civic Right the 2nd Time Around
The 2012 Honda Civic was a bummer. It was fully redesigned, yet the styling and the interior were far below what we expected from Honda. Thankfully, Honda didn't waste any time getting it right, as a refresh was rolled out the very next year that addressed the Civic's more glaring issues.

New interior materials took the interior from rent to own. The exterior has been stepped up, too, though it's still on the safe side. Honda also upped the standard features list and included Bluetooth, USB and a rearview camera. The biggest changes, however, were on the chassis side. A revised suspension and more sound dampening resulted in a car that wasn't just better to drive, but more pleasant to be in. The steering was even reworked to bring back some of that "Old Honda" mojo.

Like the Corolla, the 2013 Honda Civic is powered by a 1.8-liter 4-cylinder that drives the front wheels. It's rated to produce 140 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque, which is routed through a five-speed automatic. In the EX trim, the EPA says this setup will return 32 mpg in combined driving (28 city/39 highway). During our time with the Civic, we averaged 28.3 mpg and got a best tank of 38.5 mpg.

Insofar as features go, our EX test model has the aforementioned goodies, plus automatic climate control, tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, an Eco Assist button, auto-off headlights and a power moonroof. As it sits, this 2013 Honda Civic EX stickers for $21,605, including the $790 destination fee.

2nd Place: 2014 Toyota Corolla LE Eco
That the Corolla can again be seriously compared with the Civic, and the other newly redesigned offerings in this segment, is a testament to how far forward the Corolla has jumped with this new model.

Driving this new Corolla is nothing like driving the old 1. There's a newfound solidity here that is truly transformative, if still far from sporty. The 2014 Corolla isn't a car that is upset by road imperfections at freeway speeds and should be just as good on a long road trip as it is commuting to work in the morning.

Even the CVT doesn't disappoint in daily driving. Floor it from a standstill and the new transmission drones a bit and the fake shifts arrive too late to be pleasant, but Corolla drivers don't do that. Accelerate like a normal person and it's smooth and pleasant with no shift shock. Even merging onto the freeway doesn't result in any traditional CVT unpleasantness.

Toyota also gets some bonus points for installing a Sport mode, which helped propel the Corolla through the quarter-mile in 16.9 seconds at 83.9 mph, faster than the Civic's 17.1-second run at 81.2 mph — and an engine braking mode to not overwhelm the brakes on those long grades. Sure, Corolla drivers didn't ask for them, but we're glad they're there.

While the Corolla doesn't break any new ground in terms of its cabin, the interior is well executed, with a clean design centered around a 6.1-inch touchscreen. This touchscreen, devoid of navigation and Toyota's cluttered Entune infotainment system, works exceptionally well, with lightning-fast reactions.

Though the dash is soft-touch and the knobs and dials are well weighted and pleasantly "clicky," the Corolla is still a step behind the Civic. The trouble is with minor touch points, like the interior door handles, air vents, steering wheel buttons and window switches. They're not only not soft to the touch, they aren't well finished or pleasant.

Both cars have split-folding rear seatbacks and nearly the same trunk size. The functional differences become apparent when you venture into the rear seats. Simply, the Corolla's rear seat room is fantastic. There's room for 6-footers to sit behind 6-footers. There's room for a center-mounted car seat flanked by real adults.

So it's cheaper, gets slightly better fuel economy and has a spacious rear seat. What went wrong?

1st Place: 2013 Honda Civic EX
Think of it like a dog show. The winner of a dog show is the pooch that best represents the breed standards, and by those standards, the Corolla would take this. It's a near-ideal representation of what people expect from a compact sedan and little more. This 2013 Honda Civic Ex, though, elevates the game.

With the exception of Honda's resistance to offering a Sport mode, the Civic simply feels like a next-gen product. It's more than simply a matter of superior materials, as the Civic also drives better. The steering wheel feels like it's connected to the wheels, which feel like they're connected to the road. It's a rare sensation in this category unless you've driven a 2014 Mazda 3. The brakes offer feedback, the engine is responsive and though we want more control, the five-speed automatic never gets confused. Floor it from a roll and the Civic is quick to downshift and feels quicker than the Corolla, even if the numbers disagree.

The most daring piece of kit between the 2 is the Civic's split instrument panel. Frequently berated by people who've never sat behind the Civic's perfectly proportioned steering wheel, this tiered layout does an exemplary job of putting relevant information directly in glancing view of the driver. Along with the obvious bits of IP goodness, this upper dash also contains vehicle and trip information as well as the audio inputs. After using it, you wonder why you've been looking down for this information for so long.

Too often, differences between competitive vehicles express themselves in delicate ways that require fine senses to discern. That's not the case here. From the 1st mile behind the wheel, the Honda Civic distances itself as a more substantial, precise vehicle and is hands down the place we'd prefer to spend time.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
With the 1.8T in the Jetta, if I was spending $20k I'd get that before either of these.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
If I'm leasing, I would probably get a Jetta.

If I'm purchasing, I would get a Civic.

But, I hate all three. Will never get any of these.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:12 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
I was in a Mazda 3 test drive event last month. One of the tests were drag racing. The cars were the Mazda 3 2.5, Jetta 1.8T, and Focus 2.0. All of them are AT. Based on my experience and what I saw that day, the Mazda 3 2.5 is easily faster than the other two. The Mazda is setup so that it's really easy to accelerate quick, hassle free. The Jetta has quite a bit of turbo lag. It takes quite a while for the boost to build up. By the time the boost is up, the 3 would pull a car length or two. The only way I was able to keep up with the Mazda 3 from a standstill is to do pedal overlap so that boost is already built up. Even then, the Mazda 3 would slowly walk away.

Before the turbo kicks in, the Jetta feels as strong as my Yaris 4AT.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by iforyou
I was in a Mazda 3 test drive event last month. One of the tests were drag racing. The cars were the Mazda 3 2.5, Jetta 1.8T, and Focus 2.0. All of them are AT. Based on my experience and what I saw that day, the Mazda 3 2.5 is easily faster than the other two. The Mazda is setup so that it's really easy to accelerate quick, hassle free. The Jetta has quite a bit of turbo lag. It takes quite a while for the boost to build up. By the time the boost is up, the 3 would pull a car length or two. The only way I was able to keep up with the Mazda 3 from a standstill is to do pedal overlap so that boost is already built up. Even then, the Mazda 3 would slowly walk away.

Before the turbo kicks in, the Jetta feels as strong as my Yaris 4AT.
So, you would base your car purchasing decision solely on the straight line performance numbers?

And what does that last line add to whatever you are trying to say? It's a turbocharged car, what do you expect from it when it's not in the boost band? And I didn't drive the car so I can't really comment on it. But the test drive states the peak torque on Jetta comes @ 1500 rpm. Are you sure it feels as strong as your Yaris 4AT?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Anyway, this is just awkward talking about the acceleration of regular jetta/civic/3 in here.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I'd only buy a Civic if it were the SI. Even then, I'd probably look at the used market or wait until the next Civic.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
So, you would base your car purchasing decision solely on the straight line performance numbers?

And what does that last line add to whatever you are trying to say? It's a turbocharged car, what do you expect from it when it's not in the boost band? And I didn't drive the car so I can't really comment on it. But the test drive states the peak torque on Jetta comes @ 1500 rpm. Are you sure it feels as strong as your Yaris 4AT?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Anyway, this is just awkward talking about the acceleration of regular jetta/civic/3 in here.
Hmm, Charlie Mike mentioned that he'd take the Jetta since it has the 1.8T unit. I'm simply providing my feedback regarding how that engine does in the Jetta.

It's true that on spec sheet, maximum torque peaks at 1500rpm. And I'm sure the engine DOES make its 184lbft of torque at 1500rpm after the initial lag, at its intended boost level, with the throttle wide open.

But before the boost is built, it sure as hell did not feel like 184lbft of torque.

Haha, for a car that only has 100hp, the Yaris is not bad. But that's mostly because of its sensitive throttle. Even if you press the gas pedal a little bit, the car would shoot forward. It also means that even if you really step on it, the car is not going anywhere fast.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:40 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
2014 Honda Civic to Once Again Raise the Bar with Coupe World Debut at 2013 SEMA Show

Mid-cycle refresh for Civic includes sharpened coupe exterior styling and Si performance enhancements designed to make the best-selling compact car even better

10/25/2013 - TORRANCE, Calif.

Just one year after major improvements established the Honda Civic as the clear compact segment leader, Honda will further its segment leadership again with new enhancements to the Civic lineup for 2014. Details and technical changes will be announced in the coming weeks, but the world will get its first look at some of the changes when the 2014 Honda Civic Coupe (http://automobiles.honda.com/2014-civic/) makes its world debut at the 2013 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas during a press conference scheduled for Nov. 5th at 9:30 a.m. PT.

As one of the key vehicles sparking the original import tuner movement of the late 1980's and early 1990's, the Honda Civic has been the platform of choice for those seeking personalization potential and built-in performance coupled with unmatched reliability. The 2014 Civic Coupe will honor that proud tradition by making its debut among its most ardent fans, displaying multiple variations at the 2013 SEMA Show.

Along with the Civic, the Honda SEMA booth (24987) will feature an impressive array of personalized automobiles, motorcycles and the 133-mph "Mean Mower" (http://bit.ly/MeanMower) developed by Honda (UK) and their title-winning British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) partner, Team Dynamics.

Show attendees are also invited to register online for the Honda Industry Soiree, sure to be the unrivaled Tuesday night event, unfolding at 10:00 p.m. PT at Tao nightclub in The Venetian Las Vegas.

http://hondanews.com/channels/corpor...2013-sema-show
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,600 Likes on 5,375 Posts
wow. i don't like it at all. I've pretty much liked all of them, until now.

Honda: Civic News-xrkjiy4.jpg
Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
That front end
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM
I drive a Subata.

Honda/Acura have been magically fuglifying every car on their line up. Not surprised.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

it just looks so fk'ed up, all around.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 11-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Another view..
Old 11-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Old 11-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I like the rear. But did they just put 4 series sport line front bumper with pepboyz wheels on a civic?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:41 PM
_

The fog light area...

The grille is not very appealing either.

Side profile isn't too bad except for the section where the A pillar meets the front fender and the way the front fender curves and blends into the rest of the car... it's kinda odd looking.

Last edited by AZuser; 11-05-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:45 PM

dat wheel gap. It's becoming all Mitsubishi-fied.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:45 PM
_

The lip kit is just too much.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

The whole car just looks weird, looks like "trying too hard"

Side profile reminds of Neon SRT4, not in a good way.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot
Old 11-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

it looks like the car was split up into 30 areas, and 30 people were assigned to work on each area (not knowing what the others were doing), and at the end they combined everything together to see what it would look like, and that was the car.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by AZuser
The fog light area...

The grille is not very appealing either.

Side profile isn't too bad except for the section where the A pillar meets the front fender and the way the front fender curves and blends into the rest of the car... it's kinda odd looking.

WTF.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ designed by committee....who are all on some good
Old 11-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

http://jalopnik.com/the-2014-honda-c...ter-1458994341
<header class="mtn mbl">The 2014 Honda Civic Si Coupe: This Isn't Better

</header>

<aside class="referenced-wide six right columns" data-ids="1452128538">Related
2014 Honda Civic SI: It'll Be Better Than The Better One

Honda is pretty committed to righting the course that was the 2012 Civic. Last year, it showed off the fixed Civic that was supposed to make… Read…

</aside>Well, that sucks. Honda promised the 2014 Honda Civic Si would debut at SEMA this year and then very politely showed a picture of the Si Coupe's backside. Yeah, good looking car, we thought. We were wrong, because now we can see the front.
Here's the 2014 Civic Coupe, revealed today in Las Vegas. The good news is that Honda claims the new Si has an additional 4 horsepower, bringing it up to 205. The bad news is that the "more aggressive grille, hood, front fenders and headlight design" make it look worse than before. Oh, and the bumpers are somehow sportier. 1
The Si gets some particularly swollen foglamp housings, these new 18-inch wheels and a new orange paint job.
Honda will reveal more about the 2014 Civic at the LA Auto Show in a couple weeks. But they didn't say it would be better news, so I guess they warned us this time.
Expand
2Expand
Expand
Photos: Honda
Old 11-05-2013, 03:56 PM
I drive a Subata.

4 more horsepower.

I would buy it.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:59 PM

Honda and Acura are continually solidifying their brand image as the two sisters with great personalities but with busted nosejobs

When it looks like that, you're alienating people who won't even care how it drives or what kind of mileage it gets. I doubt the interior has changed much.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

For the first time in history. Non Si looks better than Si.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Fugly. Looks like they added lane-watch cameras.

I'll stick with my slow '13 EX Sedan
Old 11-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I think it looks better than the previous coupe.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

Nah. The previous one was less-hideous.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I can see where you're coming from. I wouldn't call it elegant. But the previous coupe's styling was really boring IMO.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
@ 4HP
Old 11-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^4hp AND they added bigger wheels. So really, no 4hp.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I think it looks good. only thing that jumps at me is that with the rear deck lid, a spoiler seems redundant.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
That grille on the non SI is very Crosstouresque which is NOT a good thing.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
@ 4HP
meh....I can get that much of a horsepower increase filling up at a Chevron Station for gas.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Senior Moderator

I can gain that much hp by fasting for a day

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News