Honda: Civic News

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
If you use real numbers, like real mileage (regular Civic better than EPA and hybrid not as good) and avg mileage driven (not 15K but more like 10-12K) the payback period is more like 10 years - longer than most people keep their cars.

And for PHEVs the math is even worse unless you rely strictly on the EV mode numbers (which is not realistic).
I thought the Civic hybrid did pretty well in C/D test to get 38mpg considering the way that they drive.

With that said, that's why I brought the Accord hybrid (not PHEV) into my post. We know that the PHEV Accord is rated at 46mpg combined. C/D in its latest test got a real world figure of 42mpg after the initial charge is depleted. We know that the regular hybrid has similar setup as the PHEV, but with a much lighter, smaller battery pack. That car would yield much better real world mpg than a regular I4 Accord and the break even point is around 5 years.

This is not to say hybrid is the way to go and we should never buy regular cars. It's just to show that hybrids are gradually making financial sense. It wasn't too long ago that hybrids were totally impractical financially for both consumers and companies.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
^ The other issue is that for most makers there's no "option" to add hybrid to have an apples-apples comparison. If someone wants a no frills LX or regular EX but would like to see if a hybrid might make sense they have no choice but to compare it to "the" hybrid - which makes no sense financially. In the US the same is true for diesels - you can't get a low trim Cruze, Jetta, Passat,etc. That is not true in Europe where a diesel is just another drivetrain choice and for various reasons it makes sense financially there.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^ The other issue is that for most makers there's no "option" to add hybrid to have an apples-apples comparison. If someone wants a no frills LX or regular EX but would like to see if a hybrid might make sense they have no choice but to compare it to "the" hybrid - which makes no sense financially. In the US the same is true for diesels - you can't get a low trim Cruze, Jetta, Passat,etc. That is not true in Europe where a diesel is just another drivetrain choice and for various reasons it makes sense financially there.
Yea it's a bit difficult to make a valid comparison if you want to look at the lower trims. Middle to higher trims are easier. I think for the Camry, it's relatively easy as both the LE and XLE trims have hybrid as an option. It's also quite easy to compare the Passat, as the TDI is offered on several different trims that are quite comparable. Even for the Civic, it's not too difficult nowadays to make comparisons (ie. EX-L navi can be compared to hybrid with leather and navi).
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I thought the Civic hybrid did pretty well in C/D test to get 38mpg considering the way that they drive.

With that said, that's why I brought the Accord hybrid (not PHEV) into my post. We know that the PHEV Accord is rated at 46mpg combined. C/D in its latest test got a real world figure of 42mpg after the initial charge is depleted. We know that the regular hybrid has similar setup as the PHEV, but with a much lighter, smaller battery pack. That car would yield much better real world mpg than a regular I4 Accord and the break even point is around 5 years.

This is not to say hybrid is the way to go and we should never buy regular cars. It's just to show that hybrids are gradually making financial sense. It wasn't too long ago that hybrids were totally impractical financially for both consumers and companies.
problem with Hybrids is there handling is subpar due to tires. Hybrid also depreciate more than standard. so what ever savings goes down the drain due to depreciation.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
problem with Hybrids is there handling is subpar due to tires. Hybrid also depreciate more than standard. so what ever savings goes down the drain due to depreciation.
I agree with you regarding the handling. But if it's only the tires, that's relatively easy to fix
Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
He thinks everything and anything can be fixed with tires.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
He needs to be choked out with a fucking 14" strap on worn by Jocelyn Wildenstein.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Might want to see if tires will fix your limp mode issue...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ttribe
Might want to see if tires will fix your limp mode issue...
I would not be surprised if he could come up with a theory.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Maybe I should get a new tire set to see if it lowers my car.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:51 PM

I would not be surprised if he could come up with a theory.
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
If you get the Acura "Chrome""Light Weight" wheels and whatever tires that he has on his TSX.

Then you are not only going to be lowered, you will be slammed hellaflush
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Race Director

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2X8Jj1DQJ

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co.'s top executive for North America says Americans still favor small cars and good fuel economy, despite a recent boom in pickups that has fueled Detroit 3 market share gains.

To match that demand, Honda will deploy one of its Earth Dreams direct-injection gasoline engines in its Civic small car, confirmed Tetsuo Iwamura, executive vice president and regional director for the company's biggest market.

"Gasoline prices are stabilizing in the mid-$3-a-gallon range, and Detroit is selling quite a few pickups," Iwamura said. "Yet while the average person sees those numbers, their income hasn't risen that much. It's wrong to say Americans don't care about fuel economy. They care."

Honda, bringing out a redesigned Fit small car in Japan this fall, eventually will upgrade its Civic compact sedan with Earth Dreams technology to deliver better fuel economy, Iwamura said.

The Earth Dreams suite of technologies, unveiled in November 2011, encompasses four new gasoline engines with direct injection and double-overhead cams, a turbocharged diesel engine, three redesigned continuously variable transmissions and three new gasoline-electric hybrid powertrains.

But an Earth Dreams engine has yet to be installed in the bread-and-butter Civic. That car was freshened in a rush for the 2013 model year after its 2012 redesign was panned. It faces steeper competition this year from an overhauled and sportier Toyota Corolla.

Iwamura said the Earth Dreams upgrade for the Civic would come when the car is re-engineered or redesigned, not when it gets just a freshening.

He declined to say when it will come. But Iwamura said cars are re-engineered typically every two years or so. That could put an engine swap on schedule for the 2015 model year.

"We'll be doing it for the Civic. The Civic has to evolve," Iwamura said. "But we have to consider what timing works best."
Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Race Director

But we have to consider what timing works best.
If sales fall into third behind the Corolla and something else, it's already too late.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
If sales fall into third behind the Corolla and something else, it's already too late.
They arent leaders anymore, they are followers so it sounds about right for them.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Iwamura said the Earth Dreams upgrade for the Civic would come when the car is re-engineered or redesigned, not when it gets just a freshening.
Sounds like the Civic will get ED for the 2017 MY, which I think when a redesigned version will bow, presuming a 5 year life cycle for the current car.

Which I think goes against what was said when they announced the ED engines, that cars would get them as soon as they're available and ready.

Either way, not the end of the world for the Civic, but could be the end for the ILX....
Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Race Director

But Iwamura said cars are re-engineered typically every two years or so.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Yes, but kind of confusing isn't it?

Iwamura said the Earth Dreams upgrade for the Civic would come when the car is re-engineered or redesigned], not when it gets just a freshening.

He declined to say when it will come. But Iwamura said cars are re-engineered typically every two years or so. That could put an engine swap on schedule for the 2015 model year.
There's an MMC every 2 years or so. But isn't that considered a freshening?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Race Director

^ I'm thinking next year with MY15. Sounds to me that everything is ready to go and they'll decide depending on sales. If the Civic is the best seller they can keep putting it off.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

hmm..to be honest, if the main target is the corolla, then the new powerplant will blow the corolla away in the powertrain department....the new base corolla has 132hp with 4AT. Even the more powerful version is tied with the Civic at 140hp but with CVT.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

I think Honda is launching earth dreams in next Honda Fit/City. if Honda City is launched in US with earth dreams. It will practically make Civic redundant.
Civic will need push button start, LED lights (Corrolla is getting both things).
Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Race Director

^ folks have that same choice today yet they buy the Civic at 8-10x the pace of the Fit.

The general buyers of a Civic don't care much about the details of the powertrain, so it would not surprise me if Honda delays the ED intro for quite a while.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Honda Fit is not Honda City. Where ever Honda City is launched Civic sales have collapsed. Honda City is as spacious and more stylish than Civic until the Civic referesh.
2015 City with Earth Dreams I think most people will buy it considering the new Mexico factory coming online so more content. City does not have that stupid two tier dash. City does not have that SUV type side mirrors. It is more streamlined squarish design like Acura TSX.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 06-25-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX

Baby 3G TL.
Nice find
Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't think there are plans for the City in NA. Hasn't Honda already conformed a Fit sedan for the next gen as well as the hatch?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Race Director

^ exactly. You will have a sub Civic sized hatch/sedan in the next gen Fit that will not have any major affect on Civic.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Honda City is Fit based sedan but with slight longer wheel base.
Problem is there is no such thing as sub Civic Sedan. City as much spacious as Civic.(Only difference is torision beam rear suspension most buyers in this segement dont care about it).
when ever City enter a market Civic sales collapses. Now with Mexico built factory. large amount of content like push button start, chrome plated door handles, auto climate control, leather seats and earth dream engines. I doubt Civic sales will survive.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
good god, that center stack is atrocious

The way Honda works the silver plastic in their interiors is just bad. The Accord's interior is good, other than the HVAC controls.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up Detroit Free Press

2 redesigned Honda Civic models were the only small cars to get the top rating in stringent front-end crash tests performed by an insurance industry group.

In all, half of the 12 compact and subcompact cars tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety fared poorly, but 6 performed well. Safety is critical in the fast-growing small-car market, with many buyers downsizing from larger vehicles.

The 2-door and 4-door Civics earned “good” ratings, while the Dodge Dart, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra and the 2014 Scion tC were “acceptable.”

But popular models such as the Chevrolet Cruze and Sonic and the Volkswagen Beetle got “marginal” ratings, while the Nissan Sentra and the Kia Soul and 2014 Kia Forte each were rated “poor.”

The group didn’t test the Toyota Corolla because a new version is coming out in the fall. The Corolla is the No. 2 selling small car in America, behind the Civic.

The cars were rated for their performance in the insurance institute’s “small overlap” test of crashes that cover only 25% of a vehicle’s front end. These tests, added to the IIHS’s evaluations last year, are forcing automakers to bolster the front-end structure of all cars in order to avoid bad publicity from a poor performance.

The IIHS tests are more stringent than the U.S. government’s full-width front crash test. The institute says that in many vehicles, a crash affecting one-quarter of the front end misses the main structures designed to absorb the impact. Yet such crashes account for nearly a quarter of the frontal collisions that cause serious or fatal injuries to people in the front seats, IIHS says.

The 2 Civic models and the Dart, Focus, Elantra and Scion tC each earned the IIHS’ coveted “Top Safety Pick Plus” award for performing well in multiple tests, including the small offset crash. So far, 25 vehicles of all sizes have earned the award.

The IIHS ratings are influential because many auto shoppers find them while researching vehicles on the Internet.

The market for small cars is one of fastest-growing segments in the U.S. Automakers have made the cars quieter and more refined as people who want good gas mileage turn to compacts and subcompacts. So far this year, Americans have bought more than 1.8 million new small cars, up 12% over a year ago, according to Autodata.

IIHS said that as a group, small cars performed worse than midsize cars, but better than small SUVs. Results for mini-cars will be released later in the year, the group said.

“Manufacturers need to focus on the whole package,” David Zuby, the institute’s chief research officer, said in a statement. “That means a strong occupant compartment that resists the kinds of intrusion we see in a frontal crash like this, safety belts that prevent a driver from pitching too far forward and side curtain air bags to cushion a head at risk of hitting the dashboard or window frame.”

IIHS, a nonprofit research group funded by insurance companies, conducts its small offset test by crashing vehicles into a fixed 5-foot-tall barrier at 40 m.p.h. to simulate collisions with a utility pole or tree. The institute gives vehicles demerits when the structure intrudes into the passenger compartment, or if a crash dummy suffers injuries to the head, neck, chest or other parts of the body. The group also measures how well seat belts and air bags protect people. “Good” is the top rating, followed by “acceptable,” then “marginal” and “poor.”

Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The one thing none of us can complain about that Honda is doing poorly these days is safety. Every vehicle they make gets a good rating in all tests it seems.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
The one thing none of us can complain about that Honda is doing poorly these days is safety. Every vehicle they make gets a good rating in all tests it seems.
Not every vehicle in every test.

Small overlap test:

2013 Acura TSX - Marginal
2013 Honda Accord coupe - Acceptable
2013 Honda CR-V - Marginal

scale: Good -> Acceptable -> Marginal -> Poor

Honda's cheapness is showing.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Civic Tourer

Honda: Civic News-exh7ry8.jpg
Honda: Civic News-ukv95kp.jpg
Honda: Civic News-nmegg3s.jpg
Honda: Civic News-dtfja50.jpg
Honda: Civic News-zwwxcab.jpg

First Glimpse of the new Honda Civic Tourer

11.08.2013 -- Honda has provided more information about the new Civic Tourer ahead of its official unveiling at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2013.

The new Civic Tourer was developed and designed in Europe, allowing Honda's European R&D team to lead the creative and technical design process. The sleek and sophisticated profile of the Civic Tourer does not compromise the car's practicality. The Civic Tourer delivers exceptional versatility and functionality with class leading interior space of 624L (trunk volume with the rear seats up, measured up to the tonneau cover).

The Civic Tourer will feature either the1.6 i-DTEC engine from the Earth Dreams Technology series or the 1.8 i-VTEC engine in manual or automatic transmission. A brand new Adaptive Damper System (ADS) will help to enhance stability and comfort under varying load and driving conditions.

The Civic Tourer will be built at Honda's UK manufacturing facility and will be launched in Europe from early 2014.

Functionality & Form: No compromise on design or space
"I am very proud of the Civic Tourer's sporty, sleek and dynamic proportions, which somewhat hide the car's true functionality and versatility. To achieve true utility on a compact car, you have to consider how to make the most of the space in the cabin, which generally also affects the design. Due to the clever platform of the Civic, we had freedom to optimise the package. The end result is a car that has almost a sports-car silhouette. For me, the strength of the car is the synergy of functionality, versatility, and dynamic expression." Adrian Killham, Large Project Leader, Civic Tourer.

The exterior design of the Civic Tourer is sophisticated and sporty, its unique style is defined by a bold line that runs continuously from the front A-pillar to the D-pillar creating the impression of a floating roof line.

The development team for the Civic Tourer spent much time working on new ways to interpret this section of the car to deliver a feeling of premium value and character. The glass of the rear quarter window has been extended to cover the body work of the D-pillar and the rear door sash has been raised by 17mm compared to the Civic 5-door to enable this bold styling line and creating an elegant look.

"At first glance it is clear that the Civic Tourer does not look like other Wagons. Recently-launched cars have tended to follow a similar style. The Civic Tourer has a different balance and appeal." Adrian Killham, Large Project Leader, Civic Tourer.

Behind this sophisticated and sporty design is a hidden versatility that leads to clever functionality and unrivalled practicality.

The Civic Tourer benefits from the same unique centre fuel tank layout used in the Civic 5-door. The fuel tank is located under the front seats allowing the Civic Tourer to offer unparalleled interior space and Honda's magic seat configuration.

The Civic Tourer offers class leading interior space across both the C and D segments. The cargo area will accommodate 2 full-size mountain bikes or 3 large-sized Samsonite cases with the tonneau cover pulled over to conceal the cases.

· 624L* trunk volume (Rear seats up, up to window)
· 1668L* trunk volume (Rear seats down, up to roof lining)

There is a small compartment suitable for storing the tonneau cover so that it can be detached and stored out the way when it is not needed.

Furthermore, there is additional under floor storage in the boot which makes carrying tall objects in the boot easy and the height of the loading lip has been reduced by 137mm* compared to the Civic 5-door to facilitate effortless loading.

Honda's unique Magic Seats deliver further practicality and space within the Civic Tourer, enabling a range of seating configurations for maximum versatility.The rear seats assembly folds down in one easy movement, and the interior trunk floor of the Civic Tourer has been raised compared to the 5-door to create a completely flat area when the seats are folded down.

The rear seat cushions can also be flipped up to reveal ample floor space for carrying tall objects. A 60:40 split in the seat base offers even more options for carrying both people and cargo and provides an alternative load area if access via the tailgate is limited.

Driving Performance: Advanced and Efficient Technology
The Civic Tourer will feature either the1.6 i-DTEC engine from the Earth Dreams Technology series or the 1.8 i-VTEC engine in manual or automatic transmission.

1.6 i-DTEC
The 1.6 i-DTEC diesel engine was first applied to the Civic 5-door and subsequently to the new CR-V. The engine is the first of Honda's Earth Dreams Technology series to be introduced in Europe.

The philosophy behind Earth Dreams Technology is to deliver an impressive balance between fuel economy and driving performance and this is certainly the case in the Civic Tourer.

The 1.6 i-DTEC engine is comprised of an aluminium cylinder head joined to an open deck aluminium block and is the lightest diesel engine in its class. The mechanical friction has been reduced to the level equivalent of a petrol engine. All the rotating parts have been carefully optimised to reduce their friction, helping to provide excellent fuel economy whilst making sure the new Civic Tourer is fun to drive.

The 1.6 i-DTEC engine was designed specifically for the European Market and is built at Honda's UK Manufacturing plant (where the Civic Tourer will also be built).

Adaptive Damper System (ADS)
The Civic Tourer also features an innovative Adaptive Damper System. This is the first time that a rear adaptive damper system has been introduced on a production car and it features three settings - comfort, normal and dynamic - all of which have been developed to enhance stability and comfort under varying load and driving conditions. This allows the Civic Tourer to remain comfortable during highway cruising, yet firm and agile when high-performance handling is required.

"By introducing the technology in this format, we expect many customers will be able to experience the benefits of this advanced system." Adrian Killham, Large Project Leader.

Safety
As with all Honda cars, safety was at the forefront of the development team's mind when designing the Civic Tourer, particularly the integration of advanced active safety systems. The Civic Tourer will deliver a high standard of safety for the driver, passengers, pedestrians and other road users in line with Honda's philosophy of 'Safety for Everyone'.

Comparison table (Civic 5-door/ Civic Tourer)

CIVIC 5-DOOR / CIVIC TOURER

Dimensions (LxWxH)
4285/1770/1440 / 4520/1770/1440*

Volume
Luggage space (Seats up, up to window)
Litres
477 / 624*

Luggage Space - (Seats down, up to roof lining)
Litres
1378 / 1668*

Load height (mm)
702 / 565*

(*Honda internal figures)

Last edited by AZuser; 08-11-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Not every vehicle in every test.

Small overlap test:

2013 Acura TSX - Marginal
2013 Honda Accord coupe - Acceptable
2013 Honda CR-V - Marginal

scale: Good -> Acceptable -> Marginal -> Poor

Honda's cheapness is showing.

The small overlap test is fairly new.. injuries noted were lower leg, everything else was noted as good.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
I'll just add that good handling characteristics go a long way towards avoiding circumstances that would cause one to find out how well a car crumbles. That said, most Hondas do well here.

Last edited by F23A4; 08-12-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 Honda Civic Type R Spy Photos

Last edited by juniorbean; 08-14-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It will never cross the Atlantic.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
It will never cross the Atlantic.
He doesn't care. He's driving eyeballs to his site. Like he's been doing for years all across the internet.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (08-14-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My corn filled turd this morning looked better!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:45 PM

Alternatively, read about it here - http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/8/1...gring-7715748/

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News