Honda: Civic News

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015 | 03:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
See, that's the thing, I like more Hondas than you (Accord, Fit, CR-V, HR-V, and Pilot, CTR) but I don't go out of my way to say dumb things like the FT-1 looks riced out and then also say a freaking Civic with a time attack wheels, side vents and a STI spoiler looks fantastic.
Opinions are opinions, man. Take them for what they are. The more I look at the CTR, the more I hate the front fender. It looks bulbous and out of proportion, accenting that the car is a FWD- It's not the FWD drive that bothers me, but seeing FWD cars setup for the strip with massive tires up front and skinny ones in the back just looks silly, and that's what the front fender of the CTR reminds me of.

Earlier in this thread I was saying how the interior just doesn't really do it for me either on the CTR for some of the layout/materials. I'm not in love with the car, but I like where Honda is heading as a whole and this is the first real step that will be visible on the streets, with the NSX to follow.

I don't mind the wing if it's functional, which I presume it is. Personally, I think those are some of the nicest wheels Honda has ever produced. Right next to the NSX 2.0 wheels which look very similar.

I don't like the FT-1, so sue me. I'm suprised you even remember that still. The FT-1/Supra/whatever it will be called will more than likely never look like that anyway, if it makes it production. Let's be honest- the production model may have some styling clues from the FT-1, but it won't look anything like it does now. I think many people will be dissapointed, like they were with the new STi when the preproduction model was unveiled compared to the actual production version, if that's what they're hoping for.
Old 03-04-2015 | 03:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
doesnt fatty have an octoring that ya'll can duke it out in!?
Rock 'em Sock 'em robot battle?
Old 03-04-2015 | 06:09 PM

Re: the N-Ring time - Good on Honda! They needed something like this. Maybe it's an indication of things to come. For their sake, I really hope it is.

<------Hater.

Also, welcome back SSFTSX!
Old 03-05-2015 | 12:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It's also interesting to see the actual engine output. Hondasaid "more than 280ps" but ended up with 30ps more than the original claim. A good little surprise. Hope Honda will do the same with the NSX!
Old 03-05-2015 | 05:14 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by ttribe
Re: the N-Ring time - Good on Honda! They needed something like this. Maybe it's an indication of things to come. For their sake, I really hope it is.

<------- Hater.

Also, welcome back SSFTSX!
I fixed it for you

Who is the CTR for? Would the people that can afford it actually drive it? There's no way I'd drive that car at my age. It looks ridiculous.
Old 03-05-2015 | 07:54 PM
brahs be jelly

Originally Posted by charliemike
I fixed it for you

Who is the CTR for? Would the people that can afford it actually drive it? There's no way I'd drive that car at my age. It looks ridiculous.
I wouldn't be ashamed to been seen in it, but I wouldn't drop $35k on one either. I bet it is a fun ride though.
Old 03-06-2015 | 01:39 AM
Senior Moderator

doesnt fatty have an octoring that ya'll can duke it out in!?
Im about to put people in it.
Old 03-06-2015 | 02:19 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

That ring lap was fucking epic.. but it looked sketchy as fuck.
Old 03-06-2015 | 12:21 PM
Team Owner

That was recorded from Grand Turismo 7 that is scheduled to be release on the same day as CTR US Version, NSX and Play station 6.
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015 | 12:35 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Nice.. better reserve a copy now.
Old 03-06-2015 | 10:54 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

On April 1st Honda will be having a press conference a few days before the NY auto show.. That may answer some questions
Old 03-06-2015 | 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2015 Honda Civic Type R

Official images...

Old 03-06-2015 | 11:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

After a five year wait, 2015 sees the arrival of the world's most keenly anticipated hot hatch, the Honda Civic Type R. Billed as a ‘race car for the road', the all-new Civic Type R will set new standards in the high-performance front-wheel drive hatchback segment.

The production version of Honda's latest hot hatch icon is revealed for the first time at the 85th Geneva Motor Show (5 to 15 March; Stand 4250, Hall 4).

Type R vehicles have garnered a cult following around the world and the new model more than lives up to the high expectations. A world-first application of Honda's new 2.0 litre VTEC TURBO engine, aggressive function-led styling, and pioneering new chassis technologies combine to deliver one of the most immersive and rewarding driving experiences available in any sector.

The new 2015 Civic Type R will be powered by the most extreme and high-performing engine in the 22-year history of the red ‘H' badge, signalling the start of a new performance era for the Honda brand.

All-new turbocharged 2.0 litre VTEC TURBO engine

At the heart of the Civic Type R is an all-new, direct-injected turbocharged 2.0 litre VTEC TURBO petrol engine, which delivers power, torque and performance figures unmatched in the front-wheel drive hot hatch segment. Peak power output is 310 PS* at 6,500 rpm, and peak torque is 400 Nm* at 2,500 rpm – both higher than for any previous Honda Type R model.

Red-lining at 7,000 rpm, the engine – part of Honda's next-generation Earth Dreams Technology series – features an advanced new turbocharger with VTEC technology that boosts low-end torque and delivers sustained acceleration.

The Civic Type R's blistering performance is unmatched in the front-wheel drive hot hatch segment: the 0-to-100 km/h (62 mph) sprint is covered in just 5.7 seconds* – making it the fastest accelerating performance front-wheel drive hatchback – and top speed, where permitted, is a class-leading 270 km/h (167 mph)*.

The new engine is mated to a slick-shifting six-speed manual transmission, safeguarding an intimate, rewarding connection with the drivetrain, and power is directed through the front wheels.

Function dictates form

The styling changes that are unique to the Civic Type R give the car an aggressive, purposeful stance, yet almost all have a functional purpose. The sleek and aerodynamically-efficient design reflects a car developed to perform at speed. The focus on aerodynamics has ensured high-speed stability and high levels of downforce.

To achieve this aim, the Civic Type R was subject to exhaustive aerodynamic analysis, testing and development. The development team tirelessly pursued its objectives through computer-based CFD modelling and wind tunnel testing at Honda's dedicated automotive motorsports facility in Sakura, Japan; home of Honda's Formula One engine development.

This development work was validated through extensive prototype testing both on the road and on track, including at the Suzuka Formula One circuit, the Nürburgring Nordschleife and at the company's Takasu test facility.

A new, almost completely flat underside aids airflow under the vehicle and combines with a rear diffuser to optimise downforce – effectively ‘sucking' the car onto the road.

The rear wing has been reimagined from the Type R Concept. The structure of the airfoil – its angle, height and shape as well as its vertical end plates – have been carefully engineered to optimise downforce without causing a significant increase in drag at higher speeds. This helps improve road-holding abilities, particularly through high-speed corners.

A wide front splitter and deep side skirts also manage airflow and reduce lift, while the front bumper has been shaped specifically to inhibit air turbulence around the front wheels, enhancing high-speed stability and reducing lift forces.

Heat management was another major focus for the design team, influencing several prominent external design modifications. Enlarged upper and lower grilles in the front bumper allow greater volume of cooling air into the engine bay. The airflow is channelled to outlet vents above the wheels on the front quarter panels and vents at the trailing edges of the widened front wheel arches to provide greater cooling and ventilation for the high-output engine.

New lightweight, high rigidity 19-inch alloy wheels, unique to the Type R, complement the visual changes. They fill the enlarged wheel arches with 235/35R19 tyres that were developed specially for the Type R.

To help the driver manage the Type R's prodigious power, the car is equipped with a high performance Brembo brake package, developed specifically for the car. At the front, four-piston calipers apply braking force to 350 mm drilled discs.

The Type R is available in five distinctive colours that give the purposeful new styling added visual impact. As well as Championship White – shared with successive generations of iconic Type R vehicles – buyers can choose from Crystal Black (pearlescent), Polished Metal (metallic), Brilliant Sporty Blue (metallic) and Milano Red.

A cabin with a sporting ambience

A range of aesthetic and functional upgrades within the cabin reinforce the Type R's sporting character. As with previous Type R models, the gear lever knob is made from machined aluminium alloy. High-backed sports seats, trimmed in suede-effect black fabric with red double stitching, provide driver and front-seat passenger with ample lateral support during harder cornering.

Matching red double stitching also appears on the black leather-clad steering wheel and black gear-lever gaiter. The roof-lining is trimmed in black fabric, augmenting the focused ambience.

New suspension technologies for a rewarding, more agile drive

A number of innovative new suspension systems, unique to the Type R, have been introduced to produce rewarding handling characteristics and to maximise power transfer to the road.

A new four-point Adaptive Damper System, developed specifically for the Type R, enables continuous independent control of each wheel to deliver exceptional road holding performance, limit wheel-load transfer during sharp acceleration and deceleration, and to maintain a stable, flat ride. It also means that the ride is more comfortable and supple in everyday driving and cruising.

An advanced Dual Axis Strut Front Suspension system helps to reduce torque steer by 50 per cent compared to the standard Civic's suspension set up, enhancing high speed stability, on-the-limit cornering and steering feel. At the rear, Type R's H-shaped torsion beam suspension is constructed with a bespoke ‘crushed pipe' which improves rear roll rigidity by 180 per cent, further enhancing stability in high-speed corners.

These systems are complemented by Dual Pinion Electric Power Steering, which helps to deliver rapid yet linear steering response and abundant feel.

New ‘+R' mode increases responses for enhanced driving thrills

The new Civic Type R will mark the debut of the new ‘+R' button that increases the response of various chassis and drivetrain systems. The result is an even more intense driving experience, ideal for the track and sure to be appreciated by the genuine sports-driving enthusiast.

When +R mode is activated, engine responsiveness is heightened, with torque-mapping changed to a more aggressive and performance-focused setting. Steering receives reduced power assistance and is therefore more responsive to driver inputs, and basic damping force from the new four-point Adaptive Damper System is increased by 30 per cent. This means the behaviour of the car is firmer and more agile for high-performance handling.

All-new GT Pack offers further enhancements

Customers will have the option to specify their new Civic Type R with an all-new GT Pack.

Externally, the GT Pack adds signature red highlights to the front and rear splitters for even greater eye-catching impact, but it's under the skin where the GT Pack's most significant upgrades will be found.

The driver will benefit from extra convenience features such as front and rear parking sensors, dusk sensing headlamps, rain sensing automatic wipers and electric fold door mirrors. Integrated Garmin satellite navigation (including five years of free map updates) is added to the Honda Connect infotainment system. Audiophiles will be attracted by the addition of a CD player and a premium eight-speaker, 320 watt stereo system upgrade.

All occupants will appreciate automatic dual zone climate control air conditioning, and sophistication in the cabin is also boosted by red ambient lighting.

The GT Pack also includes Honda's Advanced Driver Assist Systems. This comprehensive suite of sensor-based safety technologies includes Forward Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning, Traffic Sign Recognition system, High-Beam Support System, Blind Spot Information and Cross Traffic Monitor.
Honda's City-Brake Active system will be fitted as standard on the Civic Type R.

The all-new Honda Civic Type R will go on sale across Europe from this summer. Full vehicle specifications will be announced in due course.

* Honda internal figures
Old 03-08-2015 | 09:41 PM
Team Owner

Very cool. I can't believe they left the exterior door handles black instead of colour matched with the rest of the body. 1995 called...
Old 03-08-2015 | 09:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
That was recorded from Grand Turismo 7 that is scheduled to be release on the same day as CTR US Version, NSX and Play station 6.
So has it been confirmed it's coming here?

Edit: oh for fuck sakes. Nevermind, LOL. :tb:
Old 03-09-2015 | 12:23 PM
Some dude

Concept fenders looked a lot sleeker, aside form that it's still really cool in production form. The interior is nicer than the U.S. Si's as well.
Old 03-09-2015 | 01:14 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I guess I don't mind it looking a bit ridiculous.....at least it has the performance to back up its looks!
Old 03-09-2015 | 02:58 PM
Team Owner

I've read somewhere the type R will go for 30k British pounds. That's 45k USD!!!

No wonder Honda doesn't want to bring it here. No one would buy it at the price, lol.
Old 03-09-2015 | 03:30 PM
Some dude

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I've read somewhere the type R will go for 30k British pounds. That's 45k USD!!!

No wonder Honda doesn't want to bring it here. No one would buy it at the price, lol.
That's inline with the Golf R pricing in the U.K. Don't think its a direct conversion from there to over here in terms of pricing, otherwise yeah, that's wayyyyy to much.
Old 03-09-2015 | 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

British prices DO NOT translate into US prices. Everything there is about 50% more than 'here'.

I'd say $30k to $33k for a Type R if we get one
Old 03-09-2015 | 04:33 PM
Ex-OEM King

In terms of car pricing (and this applies only to car pricing), it's typically pretty close to a 1:1 conversion from GBP to USD because of all the extra taxes and stuff they have. If the CTR goes form 30k GBP, expect it to be right around 30k USD here.
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015 | 05:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
That's inline with the Golf R pricing in the U.K. Don't think its a direct conversion from there to over here in terms of pricing, otherwise yeah, that's wayyyyy to much.

Yea,...the Golf R is also $30k British pounds....so...if we do get it here, I think it will also be in line with the Golf R and STI here.
Old 03-09-2015 | 09:16 PM
Team Owner

30k USD is not a bad price. If that's what it's at, it's definitely something to consider.

Not sure if the video of the CTR doing it's lap around the ring was posted here, but if you guys haven't seen it, watch it. I'd shit my pants if I ever drove the car that fast. There were more than a few sketchy moments in the video.
Old 03-10-2015 | 12:49 AM
_

$30K for a CTR would be a good price. The top trim Civic Si is at $25,210. $5K more for a lot more performance would be worth it.
Old 03-10-2015 | 08:28 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

I would pay 30k for it if they bring it here. Problem is they will be so limited dealers won't want to let you test drive it probably. I am not putting any money on a car that should be a drivers car without driving it.
Old 03-10-2015 | 08:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AZuser
$30K for a CTR would be a good price. The top trim Civic Si is at $25,210. $5K more for a lot more performance would be worth it.
I think thats the proof it would never sell for 30K US. Only a 5K difference? Doubt it. Closer to 35K IMO.
Old 03-10-2015 | 09:46 AM
Some dude

Originally Posted by dom
I think thats the proof it would never sell for 30K US. Only a 5K difference? Doubt it. Closer to 35K IMO.
True, they slapped a body kit and Mugen badge on it previously and wanted $30,135 for that. Ridiculous.
Old 03-10-2015 | 12:41 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

30k USD is not a bad price. If that's what it's at, it's definitely something to consider.

Not sure if the video of the CTR doing it's lap around the ring was posted here, but if you guys haven't seen it, watch it. I'd shit my pants if I ever drove the car that fast. There were more than a few sketchy moments in the video.
Hmmm I doubt it will be $30k USD if it's sold here.

The CTR has the same price as the Golf R in UK. If we do get the CTR here and it's also at the same price as the Golf R here, then you are looking at $36k USD.

If you are just looking for ultimate performance, it could still be considered as a bargain. After all, the CTR can lap the 'Ring in 7:50. That's much faster than the Golf R's 8:14 time. That's also faster than a BMW M4 or M5 that are obviously much more expensive.

On the other hand, if 0-60mph is your thing and you care a bit more about ride comfort, then the CTR is probably not your cup of tea, and thus you might feel $36k USD is too much money for a civic with some balls.
Old 03-10-2015 | 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Are dealers marking up the Golf R much? Is it 36k out the door, or msrp of 36k plus dealer mark up?
Old 03-10-2015 | 01:38 PM
Safety Car

VWVortex.com - Golf R Pre Order at Invoice
Old 03-11-2015 | 08:54 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
How much is the invoice pricing for it?
Old 03-13-2015 | 12:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

There's a leaked CTR brochure from France, you can find out more from TOV. Here's some interesting details:

Curb weight: 3047-3080lb
CTR Price: €35,000
CTR GT Price: €37,400
Gear ratios:
Gear Ratio Max Speed
1 3.625 37mph
2 2.115 63mph
3 1.529 87mph
4 1.125 119mph
5 0.911 147mph
6 0.734 182mph
Final Drive 3.842 ---

Here's an image showing price comparison:

Old 03-13-2015 | 01:20 PM

CTR GT!? a
Old 03-13-2015 | 01:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Is it me or is that very light?
Old 03-13-2015 | 01:41 PM
I drive a Subata.

That's light!
Old 03-13-2015 | 03:31 PM
Team Owner

CTR GT!? a
It's just a cosmetic/gadget package, for the most part. Some red striping here and there, plus some additional electronic gizmos like lane departure warning, forward collision warning, etc.
Old 03-13-2015 | 03:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
Is it me or is that very light?
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
That's light!
The current Civic Si weighs 3002lbs...
Old 03-13-2015 | 05:06 PM
I drive a Subata.

Lost all the interest in the current gen Civic long time ago.

The new MX-5 is at like 2300lbs.... now that's light..
Old 03-13-2015 | 05:08 PM
I drive a Subata.

Hope Honda will bring the CTR to the states now that they have a new ceo..
Old 03-14-2015 | 06:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Hope Honda will bring the CTR to the states now that they have a new ceo..
Sooooo where you get your from cause i want some

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News