Acura: TSX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
^
Listen.....you can hear the "Honda/Acura Fanclub Defense Team" running down the hallway to babble about fuel economy, aerodynamics and NVH.

Very succinct post btw.
you forget handling. I have yet to see 195inch, 74inch wide, 57inch tall sedan pullin 0.92g with best braking performance equal to much smaller sedans.
Why do u think S4 is lower to the ground than TL?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:29 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,066 Likes on 3,899 Posts
^
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
here we go again
Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
These numbers especially on freeways are meaningless and as dont show number of times passing and merging is executed. If you do 10 times rapid accelaration from 60 to 90mph on I-4 & V6 and compare the result
V6 fuel economy will be better with very little difference in avg speeds.
It is about particular driving style. V-6 give that flexibility of high mpg without penalty of rapid overtaking.

huh? Read the thread again, the members even state the type of driving they did on the highway. Even some talked about hyper milling to achieve the best mpg. Highly doubt they did any rapid acceleration if their goal was for best fuel economy.

Anyways i will take their word over yours.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by biker
here we go again

Not unless you're willing to open wide and swallow the H&A Fanclub Defense Team's propaganda, hook line and sinker.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
huh? Read the thread again, the members even state the type of driving they did on the highway. Even some talked about hyper milling to achieve the best mpg. Highly doubt they did any rapid acceleration if their goal was for best fuel economy.

I love it. We're talking about "real world fuel economy" and he totally dismisses it now that he sees the "real world fuel economy."
Old 11-29-2010, 11:16 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I love it. We're talking about "real world fuel economy" and he totally dismisses it now that he sees the "real world fuel economy."
Stop letting the facts cloud the issue.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura

Well none of them as Acura A-spec rims with light weight summer performance tires.
They are only driving I-4 and when drive I-4 harder it loses its fuel economy advantage over V-6 for similar performance. that i was conveying from the begining. TSX is not off from its EPA rating of 30mpg for nearly all driving styles.

here Sonata is off by 4mpg from EPA when driving above 70mph. if you drive V-6 TSX at similar speeds it will be above EPA by wide margin.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/2011-hyu...test-6008.html
Our overall trip average was 30.2 mpg, which included a 9.5-hour blast to Atlanta driven at an indicated average of 77 mph during which we averaged 30.2 mpg. Those figures led to some equally impressive range figures: We drove 597 miles on one well-topped-off 18.5-gallon tank.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Larger engine, 48 more hp, same MPG I'll take it.

I would hope when Acura introduces a 6AT the mileage will be atleast 30mpg highway.
Well, the 28mpg figure from the C/D test is not for hwy only. It's in a road test environment combined with some city driving and some hwy driving. That's how they got 28mpg.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Again and again, I have said that Honda/Acura was falling behind the competitors in terms of engine technology, tranny technology, IMA technology, diesel technology, etc.

I'm always looking at the big picture. I'm looking for progress in respect with the whole auto industry, against leading auto industry benchmarks; and not for minute progress in respect with outgoing in-house models, as like working inside a nutshell.

Please remember that, for the competitors, their newer models will also improve upon their outgoing in-house models. So unless Acura sets it's target on industry benchmark, it will still be so much behind the others.

Acura was once class-leading in NA V6 with it's 260hp 3.2L-V6, and was again class-leading 5 years ago with it's SH-AWD. What happens afterwards ? Nothing.

Now 10 years later, Acura is lagging behind in output hp for it's V6. Now 5 years later, other auto makers have caught up with their own versions of torque-vectoring SH-AWD. Also, Acura is starting to catch up to apply 6-speed auto boxes when the leading auto makers are using 7/8-speed auto boxes. Did I miss any progress with respect to the auto benchmarks ?

But on the other hand, Acura is making progress, when compared against it's outgoing in-house models. Things like adding a mere 5hp to the 3.7L-V6, and starting to apply 6-speed auto boxes. But this is too little, too late. What good is it that when the product is only better than it's own company's outgoing in-house models, and not better than the industry benchmarks ?

At this moment, even on par with the industry benchmark with a 330hp 3.7L-V6 J-series, or a dual-clutch auto box would considered progress.

I hardly think it is called progress when Honda keeps announced future products/features (next NSX, RWD, V8, next flagship RL), but to cancel or continuous delaying them.

Yes, Acura still doesn't seem to have a clear direction. You don't just create some jargon name "Smart Luxury" which doesn't mean anything to confuse buyers. Is Acura going to become Audi, or BMW, or MB, or Lexus, or Infiniti, or Hyundai, or Toyota ? This is a much down-to-earth direction that earth people can understand.
I agree with you that Honda is falling behind in terms of certain technologies. But in case you haven't noticed, my argument is that, Honda excels in other technologies (ones that people don't notice, and I already mentioned a few already), while delivering competitive performance numbers and fuel economy figures.

You are saying that Honda is falling behind the competitors in terms of engine technology, tranny technology, IMA technology, diesel technology, etc. Engine tech, to a certain extent, yes, hence, they are being replaced. Tranny tech, I don't even if there are that many competitors out there, since most companies just outsource transmissions. IMA tech, I think you are talking about hybrid. Not sure if I would use the term "falling behind." It's just different design goal. One could always say other hybrid systems are falling behind because they are so much more complicated and expensive than IMA (think cost vs benefit). With that said, they already have the next generation hybrid system with plug-in feature. On top of that, they also have a EV Fit pretty much ready to go. Diesel tech, in North America, besides certain BMW's, MB's, VW's, and Audi's, I really don't see many other makers having diesel engines (excluding trucks).

What about safety? Honda has been one of the leaders in this area I believe. What's the point of having all that speed when it's not safe? It also seems to me that, you like to see a car excels in one area, and then you don't care too much the other areas. For instance, the J32A2 is a great engine back then, no doubt. I still drive my 02 TL-S on a daily basis and I still enjoy it when I open her up. But other than the engine and its budget price, what's so good about the 02 TL-S? Handling? Nope. Exterior styling? Too conservative, no? Latest features/gizmos? Nope.

Torque Vectoring systems. Sure, some companies now have their own versions. But the only better ones are from BMW and Audi. And unfortunately, they are only available on the more expensive models. The other ones that use the brakes, forget it.

Acura created the value-luxury segment. Why can't they create a new segment called smart-luxury. In the end, it's just marketing anyway. I don't know what else they could call it. Your typical buyer probably won't get confused anyways since he/she won't care the term too much. My interpretation of smary luxury is that, Acura WILL (will, that's the keyword, it means that these smart luxury cars aren't here yet) come out with luxury cars that are more efficient. You can call them a coward for not competing head-on with the others. But some might see this as a smart move since when you do business, you always want to find your own niche market. Whether this smart-luxury thing will work or not, we shall see.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
This is exactly my point. Acura is not going after the Tier-1 brands, then why on earth is Acura moving it's products to line up with those from the true-Tier-1 brands ? Shouldn't the Acura products be lining up with those from the other SMART-LUXURY brands, if such ever exist !?

It's like saying one thing, but doing the opposite.

Isn't it suicidal to price the Acura products towards the Tier-1 brand level, when it is crystal clear that the Acura brand is not pursuing to become a true Tier-1 brand ?
Great questions! Wish I had answers for you . Doesn't completely make sense to me either!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
^
one of the few times I'm glad I clicked "View Post"

Originally Posted by iforyou
I agree with you that Honda is falling behind in terms of certain technologies. But in case you haven't noticed, my argument is that, Honda excels in other technologies (ones that people don't notice, and I already mentioned a few already), while delivering competitive performance numbers and fuel economy figures.

You are saying that Honda is falling behind the competitors in terms of engine technology, tranny technology, IMA technology, diesel technology, etc. Engine tech, to a certain extent, yes, hence, they are being replaced. Tranny tech, I don't even if there are that many competitors out there, since most companies just outsource transmissions. IMA tech, I think you are talking about hybrid. Not sure if I would use the term "falling behind." It's just different design goal. One could always say other hybrid systems are falling behind because they are so much more complicated and expensive than IMA (think cost vs benefit). With that said, they already have the next generation hybrid system with plug-in feature. On top of that, they also have a EV Fit pretty much ready to go. Diesel tech, in North America, besides certain BMW's, MB's, VW's, and Audi's, I really don't see many other makers having diesel engines (excluding trucks).

What about safety? Honda has been one of the leaders in this area I believe. What's the point of having all that speed when it's not safe? It also seems to me that, you like to see a car excels in one area, and then you don't care too much the other areas. For instance, the J32A2 is a great engine back then, no doubt. I still drive my 02 TL-S on a daily basis and I still enjoy it when I open her up. But other than the engine and its budget price, what's so good about the 02 TL-S? Handling? Nope. Exterior styling? Too conservative, no? Latest features/gizmos? Nope.

Torque Vectoring systems. Sure, some companies now have their own versions. But the only better ones are from BMW and Audi. And unfortunately, they are only available on the more expensive models. The other ones that use the brakes, forget it.

Acura created the value-luxury segment. Why can't they create a new segment called smart-luxury. In the end, it's just marketing anyway. I don't know what else they could call it. Your typical buyer probably won't get confused anyways since he/she won't care the term too much. My interpretation of smary luxury is that, Acura WILL (will, that's the keyword, it means that these smart luxury cars aren't here yet) come out with luxury cars that are more efficient. You can call them a coward for not competing head-on with the others. But some might see this as a smart move since when you do business, you always want to find your own niche market. Whether this smart-luxury thing will work or not, we shall see.
well said!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I just got an official price tag for a 2011 TSX wagon (in the US).

TSX Wagon $31820 (including $860 destination charge)
TSX Wagon with Tech Package $34920 (including $860 destination charge).

Essentially it's a $1350 add on for the wagon over the 4cyl TSX.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
Cool! Thanks for the scoop...Thread title updated!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thats actually pretty good pricing..

will it make the crosstour obsolete?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
thats actually pretty good pricing..

will it make the crosstour obsolete?
Fingers crossed it does
Old 12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I hope it sells. I want to see more wagon options in the $25-35k range.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

Hey I was just curious, how many years is the TSX cycle? is 2011 the MMC? or should 2012 be?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,253 Likes on 4,870 Posts
2011 model year, it just received its MMC.

Pics here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=2673
Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Boris The Bullet Dodger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 TSX Wagon LIVE!!!

I have included a link to my photobucket with lots of pics. Some taken at the Auto Show and others taken in the showroom today. The showroom car is not a retail vehicle, it was brought in for some hands on training, which was relatively fun with all the new iPad techy stuff they are getting into. I did however tie a dealer ad front plate to the car before the company rep left... Free advertising, so sue me! Some of you may have attended the Autoshow in Boston and this might compromise my identity, and my place of work, but oh well. Come buy a car from me :-D

This past Saturday I offered to work the entire day at the International Auto Show in Boston, MA to promote the release of the new TSX Sport Wagon. Last year I went and worked the show for the release of the ZDX. I love the product and the brand, so I did not mind a whole day away from the dealership to do so, plus it gets me out of the showroom so I figure, what the hell! I did this last year for two days and I knew it was fun to be part of something like this. Anyway... The TSX Wagon is a very nice car from what I have seen thus far. They did a great job with the NEW GRILLE, yes... NEW!!

I did not expect to be pleased with the amount of storage the vehicle had to offer based on specs and pics from the net, yet once seeing it up close and fresh out of the wrapper, They did a hell of a job. It looks good. The storage space is definitely user friendly with an open side compartment and a little under floor storage as well. What is really nice is that once you pull off the side panel to reveal more space, it is fully finished off in there, nice and carpeted and looks clean! Unlike Audi who leaves bare wires hanging out and you can tell they cut some serious corners when they build the A4 Avant...Sorry Audi fans... Not a good way to spend your hard earned $$. Acura should take the cake with this one. All of the Accord Wagon followers should hopefully climb out of the woodwork and put one in their driveways. For the price and list of standard features, its one bangin' deal.

The new contrast stitching and better quality interior trim pieces really make a big difference. Now you can say, this is quality. I really like the fact that they made the door handles silver, it makes them easy to find and it really breaks up the look of the door panel and adds a nice touch. You will hopefully be able to make out the pictures I took of the inside of the center console. It has an A/C vent in there to help keep beverages, snacks and black market kidneys cool. It is not a fridge, nor can you put ice in there, but it is a neat idea... Help keep the road sodas from going skunk on us on our way home from the packy store

The new alloy wheels look great. It really does make the car stand out more and really catches the eye. Both of these vehicles are "Graphite Luster Metallic" one of two new colors they will be offering on the 2011's. The polished trim around the fog lights cleans up the front, gives it that premium look and contrasts great with the new grille.

I have not yet had a chance to drive and or ride in it, but the rep at the autoshow and the rep who was in our store today for training says that the road noise issue has been "eliminated". They put in an acoustic windshield to damper outside and wind noise, and it helps that 400+ watt ELS surround system perform like a dream (still not 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech pkg quality sound though). Both models i've seen have been Tech packages. They improved the quality of the nav screen too. Very sharp picture now.

I am hoping this gives some people a nice view on the new wagon. I know my photo skills are that of a chimp with an iPhone, and my journalism even worse... But I think it was worth posting some info and personal insight on this car. Now when our first wagon drops on the 15th or so, lets pray they sell much faster than the ZDX.

OH...I am avoiding the AWD + 3.5L discussion for a reason.... After that autoshow and people yelling at me as if I designed it and I am solely responsible for not dropping in the SH-AWD, I am tapped.

I did learn this morning a few nice things I would like to vaguely share with the world...

1) The new TL design will look AWESOME. No more buck toof

2) The new RDX design sitting in the US mfg. plant does not, I repeat, does NOT have a 2.3L Turbo under the hood.

Not sure if its old news or not

Thanks and here is my photobucket link

http://s1195.photobucket.com/home/phil4c/index
Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

thanks! It's strange how for the TSX, the mmc comes in year 3 (of 5), whereas for the TL, it comes in year 4 (of 5), but both cars run on a 5 year cycle. What a weird system acura has.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I think it's because it's shared with the Euro Accord. In reality IIRC the Euro Accord came out a year before the same respective TSX generation did, and thus the MMC is ready at the same time but the FMC may be delayed a bit.

Slim chance in hell I would ever take the Crosstour over this. No, make that I would NEVER take the Crosstour over the TSX wagon. Shame that it seems like it's not getting AWD.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
thanks! It's strange how for the TSX, the mmc comes in year 3 (of 5), whereas for the TL, it comes in year 4 (of 5), but both cars run on a 5 year cycle. What a weird system acura has.
If I'm not mistaken, the TL came out in late '08, as an '09 model. That's 2 years ago! It's getting it MMC for MY '12(but will be released early in '11), which is 3 years into the new model's life
Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Pro

The part about the RDX sounds good, IMO!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by phil4c
1) The new TL design will look AWESOME. No more buck toof
Ill believe it when I see it.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
If I'm not mistaken, the TL came out in late '08, as an '09 model. That's 2 years ago! It's getting it MMC for MY '12(but will be released early in '11), which is 3 years into the new model's life
TL
yr1 2009
yr2 2010
yr3 2011
yr4 2012 MMC
yr5 2013

looks like year 4 to me..

TSX
yr1 2009
yr2 2010
yr3 2011 MMC
yr4 2012
yr5 2013

looks like year 3 to me..

need any more explanation?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

any info on which engine the new RDX will actually have?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Pro

TL
yr1 2009
yr2 2010
yr3 2011
yr4 2012 MMC
yr5 2013

looks like year 4 to me..

TSX
yr1 2009
yr2 2010
yr3 2011 MMC
yr4 2012
yr5 2013

looks like year 3 to me..

need any more explanation?
Understood.......
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Boris The Bullet Dodger

any info on which engine the new RDX will actually have?
im thinking 3.5 but i did not get specifics. the 3.2 would be plenty and offer good fuel economy. but we will see when it happens, ill keep asking and see if i can get more info soon.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Understood.......
but it's so weird!!

they should find a way to make them MMC at the same time.

Then again, any useful tweak is a good one
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

im thinking 3.5 but i did not get specifics. the 3.2 would be plenty and offer good fuel economy. but we will see when it happens, ill keep asking and see if i can get more info soon.
I hope they use the RDX to introduce the new line of V6 engines.

The 3.5 v6 in my Base is nice, but honestly, its a bit TOO smooth sometimes. It doesn't sound too great when i'm on the throttle.

The 3.7 v6 in my late SHAWD sounded much sportier in all situations.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Funny, I'm thinking that the new dual IMA + 4 cylinder would be the powertrain of choice.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Funny, I'm thinking that the new dual IMA + 4 cylinder would be the powertrain of choice.
I heard the same words uttered to phil4c and I think there may be a trick being played. It was about a question to Jeff Conrad who has seen the prototype remodel. The question was, "is there a 4 cylinder turbo under the hood?" and the answer was no. From what we heard the reasoning for ditching the K23 was fuel economy. If hybrid powertrain can work the AWD and push the aerodynamics of a small SUV and achieve better fuel economy while still performing like an Acura then it could have a shot we were only told that it wasn't a turbo 4. Whatever it is it needs to return better fuel economy than the current package or increase the performance while maintaining it.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Boris The Bullet Dodger

^^ you can run and tell that. homeboy.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Boris The Bullet Dodger

on a more serious note, yes. His description is much more accurate. it could be no more 2.3 turbo, and the possibility of IMA hybrid system could be the outcome... from what ive seen from cars with IMA, its weak and to be truthful I hated driving them. (Yet I have not had the opportunity to try the CRZ) And I dont think it could perform to the expectations of the Acura client. It would be nice if they strapped the K23 in the TSX wagon and gave it a 6speed but we can only dream... I think the 3.7 would be too much for the RDX, fun maybe, but total overkill. I think the 3.5 or any V6 engine that size or smaller that may be in the works would be a great alternative..smooth power delivery to the SHAWD, but I must admit they will need to change the exhaust note for the 3.5, its no good even on base tl's. The 3.7 howl is like a symphony to my ears.

they should bring back the C27 or the J30A4. Both are tried n true.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:01 AM

The J30 doesnt make enough torque to lug the RDX around. Im hoping its a new V6.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
, what's so good about the 02 TL-S? Handling? Nope. Exterior styling? Too conservative, no?
Would have to disagree with you on that. It like most Honda FWD does handle well. FWD just requires a different driving technique
Old 12-07-2010, 08:18 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I really like the fact that they made the door handles silver, it makes them easy to find and it really breaks up the look of the door panel and adds a nice touch.
As long as they are still vertical.

Looking forward to seeing this one...
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
While I commend Acura for taking a chance on the wagon, this thing is DOA.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
While I commend Acura for taking a chance on the wagon, this thing is DOA.
It's all relative - if it sells anywhere near A4 Avant levels (even if this is a very low number) then it's a success.

Quick Reply: Acura: TSX News