Acura: TSX News

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Acura TSX V6 in comparison test. 0-100mph and fuel economic is identical to 2013 BMW 328 sport. Despite bing 200lbs heavier, wider, taller with 5speed auto and on all season tires.
TSX is truly most aerodynamic car.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../bmw_328i.html
:r ofl::rof l:

Made my morning, again.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
^ Yet the BMW still takes first place and the TSX is in 6th place. What's your point?
Point is clear. If TSX had 6speed Auto and Performance tires. It could have easily surpassed BMW 328I in speed and fuel efficiency. more in class of BMW 335. if BMW 328 cannot surpass TSX fuel efficiency. There is little chance of BMW 335 doing it. TSX just need minor updates.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...4_quattro.html
In fact, the TSX proved a cautionary tale in automotive what-ifs. What if its transmission had more than five speeds? What if it had better tires and brakes?

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1oGisJ0dh
You can clearly see which one is lower. There isnot big difference in front overhands relative to size of TSX.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 03-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
That MT article....is weird................

- Not sure why MT brings in a $50k 328i...while all of the other cars are at least $7k less. In the case of the Volvo, it's a massive $16k difference. Why not bring in the $38k 300hp S60 T6 AWD, or the $43k 325hp S60 R-design? When loaded, the S60 R-design is at around $50k. Let's see how this car would do against the 328i.

- Same thing for the G25/IS250, why not the G37/IS350? Because the 328i uses the base engine, and so the other cars have to use the base engine too? Then how come they picked the TSX V6 model?

Other than the above..some other observations:

- Buick Regal RS and BMW 328i both use 2.0T engines. The Regal has an extra 30hp/40lbft but has much worse EPA ratings and the worst real world mpg in the group

- Seems like the Buick Regal RS is a perfect example of a car that looks excellent on paper, but doesn't deliver the goods at all

- Real world mpg: the 328i gets exactly the same mpg as the TSX V6 - 16.8mpg. But till, the 328i is faster by 0.x second to 60mph and 1/4 mile. That's a big difference and so 328i is way better. Don't use the tires as an excuse. Honda is being cheap since they chose to use crappy tires...unlike BMW.

- Sure, even though the article points out that the all the TSX needs are better tires, tranny, and brakes, then it would have gotten into top 4. But the fact is, it doesn't have those from the factory. It doesn't matter that tires and brakes are easy and inexpensive to upgrade.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Safety Car

You can install Advan Sport and lighter chrome rims from Acura dealer. They will happily take that that All Season Michellen and 18inch rims.
Remember Base 328 does not have summer performance tires also. This $50K 328 was built to order or BMW just gave it to them to test. with All season heavier 18inch rims. Performance could be alot worse for 328i.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

yea, apparently that 328i is from a BMW launch event. I wonder if it has any "special" things/power added to it....hahaha
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Safety Car

BMW 3 performance is acceptable consider power to weight ratio, lower height, slimmer body, 8speed auto and performance wheels. what is not acceptable is the fuel economy during performance run.
TSX is 19/28 and 328I is is 24/36.

In another test they gave explaination of that hard driving. It is not such big leap in efficiency and speed that BMW is claiming when much heavier, wider, taller and much older tech Honda engine and transmission can achive similar results. only difference is tires.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/
Cruising on the highway at 75-80 mph for 300 miles, our tester returned 30.6 mpg. On a hard-driving, canyon-carving, 150-mile test loop, it managed 16.8 mpg.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1oIY4NBQ3
Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

30.6mph at 75-80mph average...that's what Jeff got in the TSX V6 at the same average speed.....hahaha..with an outdated Honda engine with 5AT....
Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 AM
2003 CL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Special Edition

About to go pick up my 2012 Black Special Edition TSX tomorrow morning. Used to have a 2003 CL Type-S and loved it. Finally decided on the special edition TSX. Why isnt it a Type-S? and called a special edition? Thanks! Will post pics!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Congratulations!
The following users liked this post:
kings4987 (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by kings4987
About to go pick up my 2012 Black Special Edition TSX tomorrow morning. Used to have a 2003 CL Type-S and loved it. Finally decided on the special edition TSX. Why isnt it a Type-S? and called a special edition? Thanks! Will post pics!
Type-S usually meant some sort of upgrade - the SE is just a special grouping of existing options.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Type-S usually meant some sort of upgrade - the SE is just a special grouping of existing options.
Actually the SE version in North America is the same as the Type S everywhere else in the world.
The following users liked this post:
kings4987 (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,460 Likes on 4,980 Posts
Congrats!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Likewise with the Accord SE being an Accord LX-P with leather interior but lacking the moonroof of the EX.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Actually the SE version in North America is the same as the Type S everywhere else in the world.
SE is just cosmetic upgrade.
Type S Euro has different chasis and steering setup. It is compared to E and 5 series. I am not even considering other stuff like bi-xenon active cornering lights/ACC. and you also get navigation with 6MT.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/fa...lue-14550.html
The car is very smooth on the motorways; that's why I had to take it onto the secondary roads to see if that feeling remained. And it did.

This is a top performing car in the Honda Accord diesel range, and despite having 20% more power than the standard model, Accord still comes home with a better economy story to tell. The question is, how is it done?
http://www.autocar.co.uk/www.autocar...Type-S/256159/
It’s the more forgiving suspension set-up that makes the biggest difference from behind the wheel. On the standard 18-inch wheels the Type S soaked up the worst of the creases and fissures that characterize most of our roads, and though there is a trade-off for this in the form of some sloppier body control the improvement in ride comfort over the outgoing model is certainly worth it.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

beat the EPA figures by 2mpg despite high rev. imagine what will they if they drive Type S

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...IEWS/120629809
DIGITAL EDITOR ANDREW STOY: What an outstanding engine and gearbox combo—there could be a decade-old chassis on top of it (and come to think of it, there might be), and the powertrain alone would make the 2012 Acura TSX a strong contender in the near-luxury sports-sedan market. I'm not prone to gushing, but the six-speed manual in this Acura is hands-down the best stick shift I've driven in years. Combined with the smooth, zingy four-cylinder engine, the TSX is an example of the mechanical mastery of which Honda is capable when it tries.

Fortunately, the rest of the car is pretty damn good, too. Chassis: rock solid and stable, with beautiful, linear steering and outstanding brake-pedal feel. The interior is attractive and functional, in the Americanized Japanese luxury idiom. In other words, you're not going to mistake the TSX cockpit for that of a Jaguar, but everything is where you'd expect it to be and it all works well. My one gripe, especially at this price point, is the lack of a rearview camera, a feature I can get in a Kia Rio.

So, at $31,000 and change, where does the Acura TSX fit in the market? It costs thousands less than a similar Audi A4 or BMW 3-series (perhaps not on the Web configurators, but up against the ones you'd find on dealer lots), but it feels a couple grand less upscale, too. The Ford Fusion Sport, or possibly the Infiniti G25, then? Both cars have very different driving dynamics than the Acura, and it's unlikely that a buyer attracted to one would also be attracted to the other.

In the end, the Acura TSX appeals mainly to buyers with fond, positive memories of what the brand stood for in the past, or those who truly love Honda cars but want something a bit more upscale. Why the TSX can't just become the Legend (yes, I realize it's more at the Vigor size/price point) and its baby brother ILX the Integra is beyond me. But name recognition might give some folks a reason to walk into an Acura dealer and discover this great sedan.

ROAD TEST EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: If I was in the market for an everyday driver, I would end up with an Acura TSX with the four-cylinder and the six-speed manual transmission. The unfortunate thing is that you can't get the six-speed manual with the Technology package anymore. If you want your TSX with three pedals, you need to go with a Special Edition model.

There are some trick features to the Special Edition model, such as the more aggressive fascias, side sills and rims with gunmetal-paint spoke insets. On the inside, you get suede seat inserts that help keep you in place during corning, red stitching on the seats and steering-wheel and aluminum pedals.

I've gone on record countless times with my admiration for this K24 engine. It's been around for a while, but I still think it's the smoothest four-cylinder on the market. There's a 7,000-rpm redline to work with, and it happily dances up at the top end of the rev range all day long, which is required because peak power is made at 7,000 rpm. As for the six-speed manual, it's my favorite manual transmission available, with short, fluid shifts. If there is a better manual gearbox out there, I haven't found it yet. Clutch take-up is in the middle of the pedal stroke, which is just the way I like it.

Being a front-wheel driver the TSX will understeer, but the limited-slip differential is there to help. The car responds well to being thrown around hard and you can carry a lot of speed through bends. One thing that some will people will have to get used to is the hyperactive steering response, which I like a lot. It's so quick to respond that it will most likely catch you off guard at first, but it sure makes placing the car where you want it quite easy.

The ride is smooth and the suspension offers good damping to absorb most bumps. When running down the expressway, the cabin stays quiet and mostly free from wind noise and tire noise. I also moved a couple of long items that required putting the rear seats down, and the large pass-through from the trunk into rear cabin is wide.

The most common complaint about the TSX is the button-laden center stack, which I understand. Personally, I'll take hard buttons over some iDrive-type system any day. Buttons are easier to get acclimated to, in my opinion.

Another real-world argument is my observed mileage. One of my fill-ups yielded an average of 25.6 mpg and the other was 26.0 mpg. That's on mixed driving, and I can assure you that I was keeping the revs up there, so those readings are pretty darn good.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: I agree with Andy and Jon's notes above. The six-speed in the 2012 Acura TSX is one of the top three in the market, if not No. 1. A few that are close are the Mazda RX-8 (which is technically done, but it wouldn't shock me if there was a new one still sitting at a Mazda dealership somewhere), the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, and that's about it.

When Acura changed the body style of the TSX a few years ago, I think it lost some buyers. Now the company is slowly ditching the beak/shield look for something a little more restrained. This one in particular looks great in fire-engine red.

The TSX has the right proportions, the wheel selection fits and it has just enough room to compete with small luxury sedans such as the Audi A4 and the BMW 3-series, especially the new 3-series with the four-cylinder engine. But the TSX can be had for less than those guys. Anyone shopping for one of the Germans should take quick look at Japan.

There's good power from the 2.4-liter engine, and when you're really getting on it, it has a throaty sound from the exhaust. The fact that Jon got 25 mpg makes it even sweeter.

Acura interiors used to appear busy. Now that everyone else has caught up, there's no more intimidation factor with all of those buttons on the dash. I like the dual-material seats, cloth and leather. I might even prefer it to full leather. The cloth seems to hold my rear end better around turns. One of the few dislikes of our long-term Subaru Impreza WRX STI was the slippery seats that couldn't keep me stationary.

All of the important options are included on the Special Edition. If you need more than power seats, windows and locks, a sunroof and an iPod connection, you might have to upgrade to the V6. Unfortunately, it has no manual option. That would be taking away the best part of the car.

2012 Acura TSX Special Edition

Base Price: $31,695

As-Tested Price: $31,695

Drivetrain: 2.4-liter I4; FWD, six-speed manual

Output: 201 hp @ 7,000 rpm, 172 lb-ft @ 4,300 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,400 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 24/25.8 mpg

Options: None

For more information: Check out the 2012 Acura TSX Special Edition at shopautoweek.com.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz1zCC4s449
Old 06-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Race Director

Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
but the limited-slip differential is there to help.
How seriously can we take this review?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Confirmed: Honda Accord Euro to Live On – Will a New Acura TSX Come to the U.S.?

Confirmed: Honda Accord Euro to Live On – Will a New Acura TSX Come to the U.S.?

Source:
http://wot.motortrend.com/confirmed-...#axzz2IoFC4L6l

With news that the Honda Accord Euro will live on to see another generation, we’re starting to wonder again whether the rebadged Acura TSX will also be redesigned for the U.S. market. Previously, we’d heard that the TSX and TL lineups will be merged into a new TLX model to fight the BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, and others. Now that Honda CEO Takanobu Ito has confirmed to CarAdvice that Honda is working on a redesigned Honda Accord Euro, could the Acura TSX survive to a third generation after all?
Ito was quoted as saying the company was working “really, really hard” on developing the Honda Accord Euro, but stopped short of revealing potential launch timing. As the U.S.-market Acura TSX and Acura TL near the end of their lives, though, we’ll find out soon enough whether the ILX will continue to be offered alongside a TSX and TL, or whether a TLX model will crowd out the TSX.
A next-gen TSX could help Honda justify the engineering costs of a new Accord Euro. In 2012, the TSX contributed 28,865 sales (including 4234 TSX wagons), below the TL’s 33,572-unit performance. In December 2012, the smaller ILX outsold the TL and TSX, while Acura’s SUVs — the RDX and MDX — comprised far more than half of the brand’s overall December sales.
“Honda understands the unique importance that the TSX has had for the Acura lineup and realizes its strength in its segment,” Honda spokesman Chris Martin previously said during a Motor Press Guild event, to Automotive.com.
The fate of the Acura TSX in the U.S. remains uncertain, but confirmation of a new Honda Accord Euro does make us wonder. Before we see any revised TSX, though, expect a refreshed ILX to appear in dealerships.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77

Source:
http://wot.motortrend.com/confirmed-...#axzz2IoFC4L6l
Could the Accord Euro BE the new TLX? They would downsize the TL to not cannibilize sales from the RL and maybe keep the TSX about the same size?

Am I crazy?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Race Director

^ Maybe - though I have to assume that Honda must have plans to use the new USDM Accord platform for a TLX type vehicle. The only problem with the TSX is that it's made in Japan and at current exchange rates they can't make money on it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Midnight Marauder

As a TSX owner, I'm hoping they continue this line, if for no other reason than to keep the wagon version around. After test driving one, it seems like an all around great car to own.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

^ Maybe - though I have to assume that Honda must have plans to use the new USDM Accord platform for a TLX type vehicle. The only problem with the TSX is that it's made in Japan and at current exchange rates they can't make money on it.
why would they use USDM Accord. which is soon to be merged with Civic/CRV in next generation.
They can use shrinken RLX platform for Euro Accord 3. US dollar weak does not mean Australlian dollar or Chinese Yuan or oil fed Middleast is weak.
I would think they are going to produce Euro Accord 3 that is closer to TSX size. and may call it TLX in US.
see the Audi future. That is the place where Euro Accord is going to compete.
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/vor..._technik.html#!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 5,559 Likes on 3,794 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
As a TSX owner, I'm hoping they continue this line, if for no other reason than to keep the wagon version around. After test driving one, it seems like an all around great car to own.
If the wagon was available with a 6MT, it'd be at the top of my short list of what to replace my '00 TL.
Right now, I'm leaning toward the not-so-liked ILX 6MT.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Midnight Marauder

10 SERIOUSLY UNDERRATED NEW CARS
Source http://www.leftlanenews.com/10-serio...-new-cars.html
Take a gander at the country's best-selling cars and you'll find a list of decent but mostly unexciting vehicles, the kind of safe choices clearly favored by the masses.

But just because your neighbors don't have one doesn't mean that a car isn't worth some serious consideration. In fact, we think the best choices are almost always hidden a layer or two deep.

10 Seriously Underrated New Cars
Acura TSX. Essentially in a class of its own, the TSX offers executive class luxury for about the same price as a larger mass-market sedan. In other words, think of it as a cut-rate BMW 3-Series for the price of a Honda Accord. European-style driving dynamics and a bundle of high-tech features make it a genuinely enjoyable four-door for only a few bucks more than the underwhelming Acura ILX. And if you want to really stand out from the crowd, the “just right” Acura TSX Sport Wagon is a brilliant carry-all.

Chevrolet Avalanche. Get one while you can! A cross between a Chevrolet Suburban and a Chevrolet Silverado, the Avalanche is all the full-size truck many buyers will ever need. It boasts a more comfortable, lighter-duty suspension than its Silverado counterpart, plus an innovative “midgate” that allows the body panel between the cab and the bed to fold down for extra long item storage. If you regularly use your truck like the guys in the brochures and TV ads do, buy a Silverado. If not, grab an Avalanche – but act fast since 2013 is this truck's last year.

Chrysler 300. Now that Chrysler's gut-wrenching “Imported from Detroit” ad campaigns have run their course, we feel like the big and bold 300 sedan has fallen too far off the buying public's radar. And we don't know why! From the $30,000 entry-level up to the tire-burning SRT8, there's no reason to be ashamed of any 300.

Dodge Durango. While your neighbors in suburbia have filled their driveways with Ford's uninspiring Explorer, you can stand out a bit from the crowd with a Durango. Boasting machismo from every angle, the Durango offers either a reasonably fuel-efficient V6 or a growling, muscle car-level V8. More than just a hoot to drive, the Durango features an especially upscale interior and many of the same bones that have made the smaller Jeep Grand Cherokee the most awarded SUV ever built.

Ford Flex. Looking more Star Trek than ever these days, the boxy Ford Flex is a perennial candidate for “best road trip car... ever.” Its roomy cabin and comfortable, flexible seating arrangements are worthy of minivan status, but its styling is more like boxy wagon or squished crossover. Frankly, we don't really know what to call it, but we still like it – especially when it's ordered with the powerful optional EcoBoost turbocharged V6 engine.

Hyundai Genesis. Behind its bland looks, the Genesis is the steal of the century – especially in rocketship R-Spec grade. For thousands less than a base model V6-powered Mercedes-Benz E350, the Genesis R-Spec includes a ferocious V8, a taut suspension and just about every conceivable luxury. It is the definition of a sleeper, an unassuming four-door that will spank more ostentatious cars at every traffic light drag race.

Lexus CT 200h. A sporty five-door hatchback hybrid with Lexus-level luxury? If this one doesn't tick off just about every category box, we don't know what does. Luckily, the CT 200h works exceedingly well. Its taut chassis and zippy steering make it a hoot in the twisties, while its itty-bitty four-cylinder hybrid powertrain sips fuel. Moreover, not only is it reasonably priced, it comes with the kid-gloves service that has made Lexus dealers the standard of the industry.

Mazda CX-5. Actually, we nearly put all of Mazda on this list, but the CX-5 is the brand's freshest crossover and this classy vehicle really stands out in a very competitive class. Much more rewarding to drive than the Honda CR-Vs and Ford Escapes that dominate the sales charts, the CX-5 is as at home on a twisty canyon road as it is navigating the Safeway parking lot. Heck, we've even put the CX-5 to the test on a race track. Try that with a Toyota RAV4! Moreover, the CX-5 is a fuel miser, sipping less fuel than just about any other crossover you'll find.

Nissan Juke. With a face only a mother Boston Terrier could love, the Juke isn't likely to win any beauty contests. Still, just being behind the wheel of one gives us plenty of reason to smile. Lurking behind those bugged-out eyes and odd proportions is the soul of a sports car, which is stirred by a turbocharged engine and a high-tech all-wheel-drive system. Moreover, a trio of driving modes make the Juke ready to tackle the whims of any driver.

Volvo C30. Nah, we didn't think there would be much of a market for a three-door Volvo hatchback in the United States back when the Swedish automaker first launched the pint size C30 in 2008. And, well, we were right. But this stylish car is remarkably practical, comfortable and sporty, feeling like a grown up – but still spunky – MINI Cooper. This year is the C30's last, but its swan song is the expensive but snappy 250-horsepower Polestar Limited Edition model available in high visibility Rebel Blue.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I'm sure Acura LOVES having a car on this list.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
@ "underwhelming Acura ILX."

Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

underwhelming Acura ILX & underrated TSX......

Add those to the ugly/polarizing TL, and the newly designed bigger Accor....err... RLX and you can clearly see why Acura is failing in the consumer opinion market / brand perception market.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

http://www.caradvice.com.au/216695/h...es-2013-plans/
Honda Australia outlines 2013 plans
Following the CR-Z upgrade, the All new Honda Accord will launch in the second half of this year and will comprise of a full four cylinder lineup as well as a V6 variant. Honda will continue to run its dual medium-car strategy with the wide body and the Accord Euro selling alongside each other for the forseable future.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Race Director

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2OHmLHnbD

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Honda Motor Co. will recall 76,000 Acura TSX sedans in the United States to install a water-resistant cover over the electronic control unit to prevent corrosion that could ultimately lead to stalling.

The action covers sedans built for the 2004 through 2008 model years in 22 U.S. states and Washington, D.C., the Japanese automaker said in a press release on Thursday.

Road salt used in cold-weather states and water from the driver's shoes could soak the carpet under the dashboard that covers the metal case the electronic control unit, Honda said.

The road salt and water can damage the metal case, and potentially hurt the unit itself. No crashes or injuries have been reported related to this issue, Honda said.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Race Director

Acura sold more than 76K TSX sedans in those years so it seems like not all are covered. The 22 states issue is confusing - not sure what's that about.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Race Director

^ now that I read it again I assume that Acura will only replace the cover in snow prone states? Because folks in the south will never have to worry about it? What if someone bought the TSX in FL and moved to VT? That car would not be covered?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Probably the recall covers what state the car was purchased.

So there should be no issue if the car was moved from snow to sunshine.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Race Director

I wonder how many snow-encrusted salt-ladden boots does it take to corode the cover?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
My brother is driving my old TSX. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this recall notification. After 8+ years and 90k+ of Boston driving the car has held up pretty well.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Unhappy AutoNews

The future of Acura's TSX appears uncertain as Honda Motor prepares to abandon the platform used for the compact sedan.

Acura boss Jeff Conrad says the TSX will remain in the lineup "for the foreseeable future." But when Acura moved into the entry-luxury segment with the ILX last year it jammed up its sedan lineup -- both in terms of vehicle sizes and pricing ladders.

The ILX and aging TSX are positioned close to each other, as are the TSX and mid-sized TL. The RLX has grown slightly to distance itself from comparisons to the TL, but not by much.

Product plans elsewhere within Honda Motor may force Acura's hand.

The TSX is based on the aged smaller Honda Accord platform used in Japan and Europe. The U.S. Accord traditionally has been larger and has been the basis for the Acura TL.

PHP Code:
Closely packed
Starting prices 
and dimensions for Acura's sedans
     Price    Wheelbase (inches)    Length (inches)
ILX    $27,795    105.1    175.1
TSX    $31,405    106.5    185.6
TL    $36,800    109.3    194
RLX    $49,345    112.2    196.1
Prices include shipping charge. 
But the Accord that debuted in the United States last year is on a new global platform that is sized for the U.S. Accord, rather than the Japanese and European market versions.

The British magazine Autocar reported that slow Accord sales in Europe won't justify a new model or allow Honda to keep the old platform. That makes the TSX a car without a donor platform.

Also, the TL is being redesigned for a summer 2014 launch, and a Honda Motor source said that it will be made smaller to make room for the flagship RLX, which is priced $12,500 higher. But that would put the TL right on top of the TSX in terms of size.

The TL is Acura's best-selling car, while the ILX has struggled to outpace the old TSX. Sales of each nameplate are between 24,000 and 32,000 units a year.

Acura has told dealers nothing about a shakeup in the lineup. They expect a 2014 TSX to arrive on schedule in September.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Race Director

^ Must have been a slow news day - an article that could have been written a year ago.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:24 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

yea lol...

ILX
TLX
RLX

no more confusion.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
yea lol...

ILX
TLX
RLX

no more confusion.
The way ILX and RLX sales are going. I can see Acura severally cut down both of them production. whats the point of producing ILX with so deep discounts when production can be geared toward Civic.

if TSX managed 1.5 to 2k sales a month on 2014 model. Japanese Honda is going to keep producing it as that plant simply cannot built anything else that can be exported in numbers.

I don't think TLX will start cheaper than Lexus ES or IS. so there is wide gap in line up.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Race Director

^ that almost makes sense - and the yen-dollar exchange rate has also changed the equation a bit. It is late enough in the year that the decision has already been made -we just don't know what it is yet.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ that almost makes sense - and the yen-dollar exchange rate has also changed the equation a bit. It is late enough in the year that the decision has already been made -we just don't know what it is yet.
Im wondering if Acura does either?

Quick Reply: Acura: TSX News