Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the RL, MDX, RDX, and TSX are all button-happy, the new TL will be the same. that is their new console scheme. still dumb that they moved away from the touch screen.

i would get the 08 TL type S too. wow, people here on AZ are making the 2007-2008 TL-S and regular TL seem like they will be collectors items just like the 2008 TSX is currently due to the ugly redesigned TSX coming in less than 2 weeks now.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mokos23
if the RL, MDX, RDX, and TSX are all button-happy, the new TL will be the same. that is their new console scheme. still dumb that they moved away from the touch screen.

i would get the 08 TL type S too. wow, people here on AZ are making the 2007-2008 TL-S and regular TL seem like they will be collectors items just like the 2008 TSX is currently due to the ugly redesigned TSX coming in less than 2 weeks now.
yea you're right...the TL will be the same.

it's funny because typically, when a new model comes out, people want to get rid of their cars and "upgrade'' to the newer model. we haven't seen a lot of that with the TSX owners.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
The new TL is my LAST hope for Acura for now.... they messed up the new RL and new TSX so badly (look at the grille! ewwww!) that I truly hope that this new TL will be an absolute stunner.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
The new TL is my LAST hope for Acura for now.... they messed up the new RL and new TSX so badly (look at the grille! ewwww!) that I truly hope that this new TL will be an absolute stunner.
Don't hold your breath.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Race Director

i am betting that ostrich will be driving an Infiniti or BMW in the future cause the future of Acura is bleak and sorry it will have the same ugly grill.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
wait, who's excited?

but now's the time to jump on the TL Type-S.

from the looks of the RL and TSX, i'm not expecting much from the new TL. the interior will look nice as always, but i hope it doesn't go button-happy like the TSX.

i wonder if they'll include the cassette player again.
TL Type-S ? Probably another 2.5 years after the new TL model is launched. As with the 2nd gen and 3rd gen TL's, the Type-S is only added at the MMC (mid-model-cycle) update.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
I think he meant to say buy the current TL-S now cause the next TL won't be too exciting.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
TL Type-S ? Probably another 2.5 years after the new TL model is launched. As with the 2nd gen and 3rd gen TL's, the Type-S is only added at the MMC (mid-model-cycle) update.
"but now's the time to jump on the TL Type-S." = current type-s. now.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:28 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please think

I start to wonder about this forum. Too many one word or one line replies. Lots of random thoughts.

Anyway, although we know little about the actual car, the current trends at Acura are not good. For those who want performance, the stuff that's coming doesn't seem to be impressive. It's more or less me too of the other cars.

I have these questions:

- Will the vehicles be more fuel efficient? Not just a 1mpg improvement.

- Will a 6sp manual be available for FWD and AWD versions? It will be a huge disappointment if the AWD version does not have manual.

- Will a 6sp auto be available? It's about time.

- Will a sport package be available? If the MDX has one, shouldn't the sport sedan?

- Will the SHAWD be more RWD based? At least 50% during normal operation?

- Will the SHAWD be improved so that torque vectoring occurs not only during acceleration, but also during braking? BMW's X6 now showcases the DPC system that does that.

If the answers are: no, no, no, well, then we know what the future will hold for Acura.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Good questions, but we know too little to answer any of the above with confidence. I think I'm pretty sure about is that the sport package will come in as a A-spec package?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iforyou
Good questions, but we know too little to answer any of the above with confidence. I think I'm pretty sure about is that the sport package will come in as a A-spec package?
Nah, I think we know enough about ACURA to answer the above questions...

Will the vehicles be more fuel efficient? Not just a 1mpg improvement.

- Will a 6sp manual be available for FWD and AWD versions? It will be a huge disappointment if the AWD version does not have manual.
No.
Considering how conservative Acura is, we should be thankful they offer a 6spd at all. If they do offer a 6spd manual, it will most likely be limited to the FWD model because 1) Acura probably predicts only minority of sales to be AWD, so why even make a sliver of a sliver of models with a manual tranny...considering how conservative Acura is, they would not. and 2) Can SH-AWD even be paired to a 6spd manual? considering how long it took Honda just to pair a 6spd manual to its FWD V6, I doubt they intended to ever pair a manual to SH-AWD.

- Will a 6sp auto be available? It's about time.
No.
I wouldn't expect a new tranny until at least the next gen. RL.

- Will a sport package be available? If the MDX has one, shouldn't the sport sedan?
Probably as a dealer installable A-spec kit (rims/tires, suspension, cosmetic), but probably won't be as extensive as the MDX sport (not dealer installable, probably because of the adjustable suspension settings).

- Will the SHAWD be more RWD based? At least 50% during normal operation?
Technically, no, but probably moot.
Even in the retuned MMY RL, it's not RWD biased...from my understanding, it is still 70-30 default but tuned to be more responsive, especially in 1st gear. This may make the RWD bias argument moot, but my idea of RWD bias would be at LEAST 50/50 default split, and NO MORE than 50% to the front wheels at any time.

- Will the SHAWD be improved so that torque vectoring occurs not only during acceleration, but also during braking? BMW's X6 now showcases the DPC system that does that.
No.
The only time SH-AWD would be "active" is when there is positive torque (ie under acceleration or cornering). Any other time, such as off-acceleration or braking, the stability control system can theoretically be used to control the speed of rotation of each tire to induce yaw. Kinda like reverse SH-AWD...instead of sending torque to accelerate the outside wheel in a turn, it scrubs speed to decelerate the inside wheel in a turn, which is how it works now for "stability" safety reasons, but I don't htink it has been applied for handling performance yet.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Nah, I think we know enough about ACURA to answer the above questions...

Will the vehicles be more fuel efficient? Not just a 1mpg improvement.

2) Can SH-AWD even be paired to a 6spd manual? considering how long it took Honda just to pair a 6spd manual to its FWD V6, I doubt they intended to ever pair a manual to SH-AWD.
Actually, Honda/Acura had a 6spd manual in 94 on the Acura Legend LS Coupe and GS sedan.

Who else had a luxury sport sedan with a 6spd manual gearbox in 94?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by s55lear
Actually, Honda/Acura had a 6spd manual in 94 on the Acura Legend LS Coupe and GS sedan.

I guess I should've been more clear. Look how long it took Honda to pair a manual transmission to the J-series V6 engine in a transverse layout.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^Haha, you are being too picky man.

May be for once Acura is not so "conservative."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/232305/
Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

BMW had it in 1989 with the E34 M5. It was only on the Euro M5 (we always get screwed) but nonetheless....
Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
^Haha, you are being too picky man.

May be for once Acura is not so "conservative."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/232305/
what's the saying..."the proof is in the pudding" or something? Acura has talked "big" for the last 5+ years, and still no "pudding". For all we know, Dec. 2009 comes and Acura could say, "Due to market conditions, we abandoned V8/V10 design, went back to the drawing board for the NSX successor, and will focus on FWD sedans and AWD SUV's".

Like is stated many many times among these threads about Acura...less talk and more action.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 PM
6G TLX-S

Honda won't make the same "mistake" twice !
Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Hmm most Japanese cars don't look that good anyways. The TL is eh, the IS sucks, GS ok, LS ok, ES ok, G35 not bad but interior sucks, M ok, and thats about it. If I was looking in the same price range of a TL I would much rather have an A4, newC klasse, or 3 series. I just hope the TL actually looks good for once and offers decent fuel economy.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by SRK85
Hmm most Japanese cars don't look that good anyways. The TL is eh, the IS sucks, GS ok, LS ok, ES ok, G35 not bad but interior sucks, M ok, and thats about it. If I was looking in the same price range of a TL I would much rather have an A4, newC klasse, or 3 series. I just hope the TL actually looks good for once and offers decent fuel economy.
On that note I give you a discussion over at Audizine about the A4 vs TL:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204372

Scroll down, there are some interesting pictures of a TL that got demolished by a mini. I coudl have sworn I've seen those pics on AcuraZine. The TL owner's brother is a member of Audizine from what I read in the thread.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SRK85
TL and A4, C class and 3 series are not in the same class. What's the point of comparing cars based on their price range???? On a side note, C class looks quite ugly inside out (except C63 AMG... and possibly alpine white C350 with black rooftop)

Sounds like you'll prefer european over japanese regardless of brands/look/performance/etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

what's the saying..."the proof is in the pudding" or something? Acura has talked "big" for the last 5+ years, and still no "pudding". For all we know, Dec. 2009 comes and Acura could say, "Due to market conditions, we abandoned V8/V10 design, went back to the drawing board for the NSX successor, and will focus on FWD sedans and AWD SUV's".

Like is stated many many times among these threads about Acura...less talk and more action.
It's more like people coming up with those rumours rather than Honda making them up. Sometimes I think Honda is like polyphony digital, delay, delay and delay, but he end result is pretty good.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yohan81718
TL and A4, C class and 3 series are not in the same class.
Yes they are.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by titan
Yes they are.

the TL may be a bit bigger (although the A4 should be closer in size now), they're still in the same entry level class and price range.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Team Owner

TL and A4, C class and 3 series are not in the same class.

the A4, C and 3 series are all in the same class. The TL kinda hovers between the A4 and A6, and the 3 and 5 series in terms of size. But price it's perfectly matched against the A4 and 3 series. Granted the TL doesn't have the luxury of so many availalble options which can bring up the pricing of the A4, C, and 3 series, that doesn't mean it doesn't compete with them in sales.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:32 AM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
On that note I give you a discussion over at Audizine about the A4 vs TL:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204372

Scroll down, there are some interesting pictures of a TL that got demolished by a mini. I coudl have sworn I've seen those pics on AcuraZine. The TL owner's brother is a member of Audizine from what I read in the thread.

That was interesting. I love the fact that the picture of the wrecked TL says that the Mini was "only" going 45-55 MPH. The Audi must be "Super-Duper Strong" If it could take the same hit from a ~3000 lb vehicle traveling that fast to the SIDE better than the Acura did. If the driver walked away, then that proves how safe the car was. Sorry to go OT.

Back OT:

YAY Acura 2009 TL w/ SH-AWD & 300+ HP?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alphason'sac
That was interesting. I love the fact that the picture of the wrecked TL says that the Mini was "only" going 45-55 MPH. The Audi must be "Super-Duper Strong" If it could take the same hit from a ~3000 lb vehicle traveling that fast to the SIDE better than the Acura did. If the driver walked away, then that proves how safe the car was. Sorry to go OT.

Back OT:

YAY Acura 2009 TL w/ SH-AWD & 300+ HP?
^^word...cars are MADE to crumple. Nothing sheetmetal is made to withstand in impact...it's the work of the hidden collision beams and frame underneath all that sheetmetal that matters. But then again, most people think a car that doesn't crumple is safer in an accident just because, well, they're dumb.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I don't know what the excitement is all about ?? Didn't we all suspect the RL drivetrain would eventually make it's way down the model line up...

Bad news for RL sales (not that they were any good anyways)... A 300Hp AWD TL makes the RL kinda redundant... Who's going to want to buy the MMC RL, when a TL will do for less $$...

If the rumors turn out to be true, Acura pretty much killed the RL... You would have thought they would have upgraded the RL before making the TL just as powerful. Who's doing the product planning over there ?? Monkeys ??

I guess the TL is going to be the Flagship car for Acura in 2009
The RL was killed the first day it was presented 4 years ago... Amen.
And we know that is not the problem of same power: all the luxury brands have same power for different model ranges...

It's NOT the TL the problem for the RL, is the RL the problem for the TL.
Looking for the RL 2011 V8...
Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

the A4, C and 3 series are all in the same class. The TL kinda hovers between the A4 and A6, and the 3 and 5 series in terms of size. But price it's perfectly matched against the A4 and 3 series. Granted the TL doesn't have the luxury of so many availalble options which can bring up the pricing of the A4, C, and 3 series, that doesn't mean it doesn't compete with them in sales.
A4, C and 3 are... TL is not. TSX would fit into those categories. Like you said, TL fits somewhere between A4-A6 and 3-5.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:35 PM
6G TLX-S

Let me sum it up.

Sizewise, A4, C-class, and 3-series belong to the TSX class (compact); A6, E-class, 5-series belong to the TL class (mid-size).
Pricewise, A4, C-class, and 3-series belong to the TL catergory. It's like what you can buy on the market when you have around $35K give or take a few K's.

The pricewise comparison is the most commonly used method in the auto world because it does a better job of reflecting how people buy cars. People don't usually cross-shop between a $50K E350 with a $35K TL even through they are roughly of the same size.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

A4, C and 3 are... TL is not. TSX would fit into those categories. Like you said, TL fits somewhere between A4-A6 and 3-5.
Based on your logic, the Accord, TL, and RL are all competitors, along with the camry, Sonata, Taurus, Malibu, etc. etc. and this makes no sense.

Convention, especially when speaking of "premium" brands, comparison/segment is based on price. The TSX and the TL compete in the same NEAR LUXURY segment against the A4, C, and 3-series. The TSX competes on the lower end of that segment while the TL competes in the upper end of that segment. The BMW 1-series also competes in this segment...but at the lower end of it much like the TSX with the 3-series competing at the upper end. Once you throw size into the equation, it's a free-for-all and you can't compare anything anymore...no one cross shops Malibu's and Maserati's or MB's and Kias, even if the cars being compared are "equivalent size".
Old 04-18-2008, 01:51 PM

Let me sum it up.

Sizewise, A4, C-class, and 3-series belong to the TSX class (compact); A6, E-class, 5-series belong to the TL class (mid-size).
Pricewise, A4, C-class, and 3-series belong to the TL catergory. It's like what you can buy on the market when you have around $35K give or take a few K's.

The pricewise comparison is the most commonly used method in the auto world because it does a better job of reflecting how people buy cars. People don't usually cross-shop between a $50K E350 with a $35K TL even through they are roughly of the same size.

sometimes, there's a reason why everyone says one thing and one person says another.

Last edited by JediMindTricks; 04-18-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

sometimes, there's a reason why everyone says one thing and one person says another.
maybe he's fightin' the power??

Old 04-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

Based on your logic, the Accord, TL, and RL are all competitors, along with the camry, Sonata, Taurus, Malibu, etc. etc. and this makes no sense.

Convention, especially when speaking of "premium" brands, comparison/segment is based on price. The TSX and the TL compete in the same NEAR LUXURY segment against the A4, C, and 3-series. The TSX competes on the lower end of that segment while the TL competes in the upper end of that segment. The BMW 1-series also competes in this segment...but at the lower end of it much like the TSX with the 3-series competing at the upper end. Once you throw size into the equation, it's a free-for-all and you can't compare anything anymore...no one cross shops Malibu's and Maserati's or MB's and Kias, even if the cars being compared are "equivalent size".
Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

You're basing solely on size and that isn't the dominating factor in the ssales of these vehicles it's the price.

That's why a comparitively sized hyundai doesn't necessarily compete with a Lexus of the same size. it's the price. If someone is looking to spend $70K on a car why would a hyundai be considered in their list of cars to choose from just because it's the ssame size? :ghey:
Old 04-18-2008, 09:00 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
TL and A4, C class and 3 series are not in the same class. What's the point of comparing cars based on their price range???? On a side note, C class looks quite ugly inside out (except C63 AMG... and possibly alpine white C350 with black rooftop)

Sounds like you'll prefer european over japanese regardless of brands/look/performance/etc.
Nah I just wish the Japanese had better looking cars. So far the best Japanese looking car according to me is the GS. I just think they are not aggressive looking.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
You're basing solely on size and that isn't the dominating factor in the ssales of these vehicles it's the price.

That's why a comparitively sized hyundai doesn't necessarily compete with a Lexus of the same size. it's the price. If someone is looking to spend $70K on a car why would a hyundai be considered in their list of cars to choose from just because it's the ssame size? :ghey:
So the Genesis will be cross shoped with a 3 series?

I don't buy a car based on price - I buy based on needs, specs and features.

Last edited by biker; 04-19-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Let me sum it up.

Sizewise, A4, C-class, and 3-series belong to the TSX class (compact); .
TSX is not a compact - it's at the lower end of the scale but it is a mid sized car. And with the larger 09, it's even more in the mid sized category.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by biker
So the Genesis will be cross shoped with a 3 series?

I don't buy a car based on price - I buy based on needs, specs and features.
The way you buy them is different than how they are marketed by the auto manufacturers. I follow your format in buying a car too. My comments are for the general market.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by biker
TSX is not a compact - it's at the lower end of the scale but it is a mid sized car. And with the larger 09, it's even more in the mid sized category.
Unfortunately, the '08 C-class and the '09 A4 have also grown in size to be reclassified as mid-size cars. So sizewise, the three are still together in the same size class.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
If Acura ever wants to be taken seriously again there are a couple of very easy things they have to do (Infiniti has already figured this out btw):

RWD in the TL and TSX. Not AWD. 300+hp minimum in the TL and 240+ in the TSX (V6 Acura, V6!!!). All powertrains available with 6-sp manual.

V8 in the RL with at least 350 hp and, again, RWD. Otherwise they might as well scrap the model.

Styling that doesn't make me want to drop mercury into my eyes.

Develop a proper NSX (ie mid-engine) to compete with the GT-R and LF-A.....

Thats it. Simple. But they will never do it (sigh)....

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News