Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
nice numbers, but is it really mod friendly like the CLS/TLS?
GOOD question. I was hoping for some aftermarket support news.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
nice numbers, but is it really mod friendly like the CLS/TLS?
That, we're gonna have to figure out for ourselves. I dont think you know that for any NA-engined car coming out for the first time.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:10 PM
TQ > MPG

14.4 @ 99mph is a very good time, but dont expect R&T to be any faster if at all. It's not gonna be significantly faster than a 6 speed CL-S, and why would anyone expect it to be? The only reason it will be faster is due to better tires, but other than that the gearing, power, and weight are nearly identical.

Still a helluva bargain for $33k though.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I still cant get over the Honda Accord Coupe's 14.54 time for the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:41 PM
TQ > MPG

Yeah, but I dont think that's been replicated too many times by too many owners at normal dragstrips.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jtkz13
Yeah, but I dont think that's been replicated too many times by too many owners at normal dragstrips.

For the Accord you mean? I have not seen any other acceleration tests other than that one... What are normal track times you have seen for it?
Old 12-01-2003, 03:50 AM
TQ > MPG

I dont think there have been too many at the track yet, but it seemed they are on average 1-2 tenths slower than the CL-S6. The best I think I've seen for a stock one is like 14.6 @ 97mph.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

MotorTrend tests the car in the Car of the Year comparo and with the 6MT car, it gets:

0-60= 6.1
1/4= 14.44 @98.17 mph
60-0= 141 ft !!! Dont get this one....
Average Lateral g= 0.77g
600ft slalom= 62.5 mph
Old 12-06-2003, 11:03 PM
TQ > MPG

Now if a TL-6 owner would dyno their car we would be able to see if there really is any extra power of it's just tires that are giving better 1/4 ET's. The mph impresses me though, no way mine was going to hit 99mph stock. :o
Old 12-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I still think there will be a TL Type S out. And it's gotta be making 300HP at the crank. It just has to...
Old 12-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Pro

LA Times

An Acura that rolls but doesn't rock
All that's missing from the well-engineered TL is personality.

By Dan Neil
LA Times Staff Writer

December 10, 2003

The 2004 Acura TL will raise no one's blood lust, nor will it send anyone into an eye-lolling frenzy.

The TL is Botox for the brain box.

You might think that the TL — based on the current-generation Honda Accord and built in Maryville, Ohio — would be cause for celebration, what with its just-about- perfect-in-every-way engineering, embarrassment of standard features, handsome exterior and starship interior.

And it is. A very quiet celebration, the kind of celebration that ensues shortly after the med cart goes by. Who — besides the Pre-Raphaelites — would have thought that perfection would be so uninspiring?

This $35,000 front-drive sedan — pitted against entry-luxury choices like the Lexus ES 330, Audi A4 and Saab 9-3 -- is one lulu of an automobile, no doubt about it. The TL carries on Acura's tradition of engine-intensive performance, unimpeachable build quality and irresistible value. I drove the car to Tucson and back in 72 hours and would gladly have done another lap. Everything works, everything fits, everything goes like hell. What's not to like?

Then again, what's to love? The cars we love say something about us that we ourselves are desperate to say. I'm fun and unconventional (BMW Mini). I'm a wheel in Hollywood (Bentley Azure). Ask me about my grandkids (Mercury Grand Marquis).

What does the TL say? I subscribe to Consumer Reports? I use a discount brokerage house?

Reflecting the dimensional changes in the current U.S.-spec Accord platform (the Accord sold in Europe is smaller), the TL is slightly shorter bumper to bumper, higher and wider than the previous model. It has a kind of close-coupled blockiness that at some angles looks athletic. The deeply scored lateral line that connects the marker lights and door handles plays up a forward-leaning profile, and the chevron shape that unites the grille and the headlights — like the face of the smaller Acura TSX — has a droid-like sexiness about it, if you are into that sort of thing.

But with its high shoulders surrounding a spacious cabin, its generous greenhouse and its conservative rake to windshield and rear glass, the TL design places practicality over pulchritude.

It shouldn't. Look at the competition — BMW 3-Series, Saab 9-3, Cadillac CTS, Audi A4, Infiniti G35. Pound for pound, penny for penny, the Acura TL is as good a piece of engineering as any of these cars, sayeth I. But I would gladly trade away a degree of the Acura's high-minded excellence for a little of the wanton, knickers-in-the rubbish fun these rival cars radiate.

And, by the way, Honda knows it. The company's new president and chief executive, Takeo Fukui — a man so serious he makes the Mt. Rushmore presidents look like they are huffing nitrous oxide — has opened a new design studio amid the pleasure domes of Tokyo's Roppongi District to help the company inject some flair and fun into sheet metal.

But these qualities are more than skin deep. The TL is powered by a purling 3.2-liter dual-overhead-cam V-6 engine with electronic throttle control and variable-valve technology to orchestrate its 24 valves. Yet another example of Honda's quartz-movement precision, this all-alloy engine — a higher-compression version of the mill of the previous 3.2 TL Type S — produces 270 horsepower and 238 pound-feet of torque with excellent emissions values. The TL qualifies as an ultra-low-emission vehicle, as rated by the California Air Resources Board.

This is the sort of engine you imagine provocatively posed in the centerfold of the journal for the Society of Automotive Engineers: lightweight, compact, powerful throughout the rev range, efficient and turbine smooth. Generally speaking, it's under-stressed — which is to say it has the potential for more output with slightly different computer programming (mapping) and higher redline.

So the six-banger never feels strained or fretted, always working well within itself. Indeed, it doesn't feel very much at all. Tramp the gas pedal, and the faint thrumming you feel in the seat and steering wheel is like the mellow purr of a Sharper Image nose hair trimmer. TL drivers will just have to live without the primitive, haptic pleasure of a high-output motor spilling its guts for their enjoyment.

The timbre of the car, whether sitting at idle or running wide open with the wipers on warp speed, is roundly mute. All the big, ugly noises — wind, road hash, driveline warble — have been gagged by the car's highly evolved design, including triple-sealed doors, high-tech engine mounts, rafts of sound-deadening material, isolated sub-frames and heavy suspension bushings.

The question is whether all this quiet is too shapeless, like an earmuff clamped to the head, damping out all sounds, even the interesting ones. Again, I'd trade away some of the barbiturate quiet of the TL for a few of the sonorous, slightly musical snarls coming from the likes of BMW or Saab.

Think of it as the foley track for the TL's visual effects.

The TL is seriously quick for what is, after all, an attitude- enhanced family car. With automatic transmission, the TL reaches the 60-mph mark in about six seconds. At interstate speeds, the nail-the-throttle boost bleeds off a little bit, but this is a car that can comfortably cruise at 90 mph without breathing hard. The only problem I could find in the entire drivetrain — aside from its ice-princess mien — is an abrupt tip-in, a kind of low-speed jumpiness, of the car's throttle.

For the time being, Acura has dispensed with the "Type S" performance variant of the TL (the new engine is 10 horsepower stronger than the version that powered last year's TL Type S, anyway). Gung-ho buyers can opt for a six-speed manual transmission, which comes bundled with a limited-slip differential, sportier tires and Brembo brakes, all at no extra cost.

Our test car, with a five-speed automatic and $2,000 optional navigation system with voice recognition, lists for $35,270, including the $590 destination charge.

How does the TL handle? Exactly as you would expect of a front-drive sedan with 270 horsepower on tap and 60% of its 3,575 pounds over the front wheels. The TL clears the blocks and accelerates hard in a straight line, and moderate torque steer — the tendency to wander off course under hard acceleration — shunts the car to and fro. I understand the TLs with six-speed manual are crazy with torque steer; I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks to the variable-valve timing, e-throttle and other measures, the power surges through the gears in long, even strokes, like the power of a sculling team.

The TL's suspension — front double wishbones and rear multi-links complement anti-roll bars at both ends — is taut, well controlled and cinched down. Considering the car's heavy front, the TL battles valiantly to maintain its balance in transient maneuvering. But in front-wheel-drive cars, I actually prefer a little limberness in the front suspension, which is to say, when I breathe off the throttle, I like the weight balance to sluice forward a little more readily to give the tires more turn-in bite. Alas, the TL already has too much weight on the front wheels, leaving little room for fun with weight transfer.

The standard-issue Bridgestone Turanza tires (235/45 R17) have excellent road manners, offering a smooth and quiet ride. But, obviously, these tires don't have the big claws it takes to hang on in rowdy curve-to-curve cavorts. I'm looking forward to driving the car with the Z-rated performance tires (a $200 option on fully equipped models). The torque-sensing power steering offers a nice weight in the wheel, and it's quite accurate. The brake pedal feel is progressive and easily modulated with either right or left foot, and the standard four-wheel disc brakes on the test car — despite the lack of the Brembo pedigree — were tight and muscular.

My sense is that all the personality of the TL resides in the optional six-speed stick shift, leaving the automatic-equipped cars feeling dosed with Prozac.

Like the RSX compact sport coupe and the smaller TSX sedan, the TL is positively silly with standard features, including an audiophile-quality sound system centered on a DVD-audio/CD/AM-FM/XM receiver driving eight surround-sound speakers with 225 watts. In case you didn't know — and I didn't — DVD-audio is a high-density recording format comparable to audio masters used in the recording business. Proof positive that the acoustic engineers carry a big stick at Honda R&D.

The TL's list of standard features looks likely to be continued on the next year's sticker. Included are a full leather interior; heated power front seats with 10-way adjustment and two-position memory on the driver's seat; a locking trunk pass-through; a power glass moon roof with remote operation; speed-sensing wipers; xenon high-intensity headlights; a Bluetooth-enabled hands-free phone system; and heated, power-operated, body-colored outside mirrors with two- position memory and a driver's- and passenger-side reverse-gear tilt-down feature. And more interior lighting, mirrors, cup holders, storage bins and power outlets than you can shake a conductor's baton at.

Anti-lock brakes, traction and stability control and a full suite of air bags are, of course, standard.

The big option is the $2,000 navigation system, a big, bright, easy-to-use unit with an 8-inch display and DVD-based moving maps. It's just about the best system out there.

The Acura TL's focused precision and exceptional value could make complaints about its over-refinement seem like shadow boxing. Maybe so. But for Honda, the hardest engineering job of all is left yet to do. How do you build an emotion?

Times automotive critic Dan Neil can be reached at dan.neil@latimes.com.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro

Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autoscon...0/g01-3481.htm

Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Acura gives TL a shot of pizzazz

Fresh look, gutsier engine among many upgrades

By Paul Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

Perhaps the most significant alteration to the TL is a boost in output from 225 horsepower to 270 from the single-overhead-cam 3.2-liter V-6 engine.

Honda Motor Co. was the first Japanese automaker audacious enough to introduce a premium brand product in North America.

The 1986 Acura Legend sedan was a sort of super-sized Accord with leather upholstery, a larger engine and lots of amenities previously seen only on pricier European models.

Acura’s lineup has since been expanded to include six nameplates — from the $21,000 entry-level RSX hatchback to the $90,000 limited-edition NSX sports car. The brand has settled into a comfortable — if somewhat undistinguished — niche between its two principal Japanese competitors, Toyota Motor Co.p.’s Lexus and Nissan Motor Co.’s Infiniti.

But one nagging criticism persists: Acura products aren’t quite as luxurious as those offered by Lexus, nor as sexy and powerful as those marketed by Infiniti.

With the redesigned 2004 TL, a mid-size sedan that is a premium counterpart of the Honda Accord, Acura hopes to begin changing people’s perceptions about the brand.

Previewed in April at the New York Auto Show, the new TL is entering an increasingly crowded segment of the near-luxury market populated by such stalwart competitors as the Infiniti G35 and Cadillac CTS.

Fortunately, Acura has girded its revamped contender with some impressive armor — fresh sheet metal, a more potent powerplant and a well-appointed cockpit that will remind enthusiasts of a fine European sport sedan.

While the TL is still no esthetic paragon, the latest iteration has a bit more pizzazz than its predecessor and is even more fun to drive.

And compared with similarly sized and equipped rivals from Japan, North America and Europe, the mid-size Acura sedan looks like a relative bargain, considering what’s included in the package.

With a base price of $33,195, including destination charges, the 2004 Acura TL is outfitted so comprehensively that the only major options are a $2,000 navigation system and $200 Bridgestone Potenza performance tires.

That compares with a base price of $30,395 for the G35 sedan with leather interior and six-speed manual transmission, and $31,185 for the CTS with five-speed transmission.

But don’t be misled by the price comparison. Acura includes loads of equipment as standard — a power moonroof, a six-disc CD changer, XM satellite radio, to name just a few items — that will add more than $1,000 to the cost of the Infiniti and the Cadillac.

A full complement of safety gear is also standard on the TL. The list includes front and side air bags, plus side-curtain bags for front and rear passengers; four-wheel antilock disc brakes, electronic brake-force distribution and brake assist, as well as stability and traction control.

Acura officials are touting the fact that the ‘04 model has been kitted out with some fancy new electronics gear, including Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity and something called DVD-Audio surround sound, which the company claims is "500 times greater than CD" in terms of audio fidelity.

I have to admit I was paying more attention to driving — for a change — than talking or listening. There’s a good reason.

Perhaps the most significant alteration to the TL from 2003 to 2004 is a boost in output from 225 horsepower to 270 from the single-overhead-cam 3.2-liter V-6 engine.

Although the G35 boasts a larger, twin-cam 3.5-liter unit, its output is only 260 horsepower. And the CTS, with a dual-overhead-cam 3.2-liter V-6, makes only 220 horsepower.

Transmission choices on the ’04 TL include a six-speed manual gearbox and a five-speed automatic with manual shift capability.

The revamped TL is quick, nimble and a pure delight to drive — far more so than its predecessor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the ’03 edition, you had to order the Type S variant to get the go-fast hardware. The ‘04 model, out of the box, is a step above last year’s Type S in that it combines all the right performance bits with a higher level of ride comfort.

The new TL employs double-wishbone suspension at all four corners, plus front and rear stabilizer bars, 17-inch wheels and tires and variable-rate power rack-and-pinion steering.

Handling dynamics feel a bit different from those of the CTS and the G35, in large measure because those competitors are rear-wheel drive designs, while the TL is front-wheel drive.

Automotive purists will never be convinced that a front-drive car can be made to handle with the same precision and consistency as a rear-drive car, but the TL comes pretty close.

The steering is light and quick, the suspension firm yet supple enough to absorb medium-size Michigan potholes without too much fuss. The standard Bridgestone Turanzas grip agreeably, and the brakes display reassuring stopping prowess.

The TL is not for all tastes, however. Its cockpit looks much better put together than that of the G35, and the materials are much richer in texture and appearance than those used in the CTS.

But the TL still suffers a bit from the generic flavor that seems to imbue most Honda and Acura products — it’s as if the designers were reluctant to instill much individual personality in the vehicles.

If you’re looking for plush opulence in this price range, you’re better off shopping a product like the Lexus ES 330. And if pure performance is your principal yardstick, a BMW 330i is probably more your cup of Jagermeister.

While a little on the bland side, I always thought the previous Acura TL was a well-balanced and comfortable ride for the money — a vehicle I wouldn’t mind keeping in my driveway for six months or so.

The ’04 TL is even more desireable — better in nearly every respect than its forerunner and near the top of the near-luxury class.

You can reach Paul Lienert at plienert@yahoo.com.

The 2004 Acura TL is outfitted with loads of standard equipment, including a hands-free cell phone connection, surround sound, power moonroof, six-disc CD changer and XM satellite radio.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Pro

Car and Driver Jan 2004 Full Review

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

A sharp car that would be even sharper with rear-wheel drive.
January 2004

Acura has stubbornly resisted building a rear-wheel-drive, V-6-powered sports sedan. With the competition—the Infiniti G35, the Cadillac CTS, the Lexus IS300, and of course, the BMW 330i—offering rear drive, we're surprised the luxury division of Honda hasn't ordered the creation of a rear-drive TL.

It would make sense because only so much power can be delivered through the tires that are also called on to steer. The competition is well aware of this. Certainly, Honda knows this. When it set out to build a high-end sports car and a pure roadster, it didn't choose front drive. Why would it? Rear-drive cars are the best-balanced, best-handling vehicles. Both the Acura NSX and the Honda S2000 are great examples of Honda's knowing when rear drive is the right, and logical, choice.

However, we understand why Acura continues to chase competing rear-drive sports sedans with its front-drive TL—an all-new platform costs big bucks, and more important, a terrific front-drive platform (the Honda Accord's) is readily available. But remember that the Accord tops out at 240 horsepower—arguably the beginning of the end for what front drive can handle.

Acura has done what it can with the limitations set forth by front drive, evidenced by the equipment on our test vehicle, which came with an available six-speed manual transmission (the first time one's been offered on the TL), a limited-slip differential, Brembo four-piston front calipers, 8.0-by-17-inch wheels wearing 235/45 tires, and a revised 3.2-liter SOHC 24-valve aluminum V-6—now the only engine available—that makes 270 horsepower at 6200 rpm and 238 pound-feet of torque at 5000. Those numbers are nominally more than the previous Type-S's 260 horsepower and 232 pound-feet and substantially more than the preceding standard model's 225 and 216—and lest you forget, only 20 horsepower shy of the NSX's big motor!

All that power and torque gets channeled through the front-drive dam like a school of spawning salmon, bogging the drivetrain as it tries to put the power down. Gobs of wheelspin ensues until the all-season Bridgestone Turanza EL42s are finally able to hook up, launching the TL upstream with serious authority. Zero to 60 mph comes in just 5.7 seconds, with the quarter-mile following 8.7 seconds later at 99 mph. The 3.2 revs easily and willingly, emitting a mechanical soundtrack that perfectly complements its 6800-rpm threshold. Typical of Honda manual transmissions, the TL's enters and exits its six gates with short, velvety throws, making rowing the gears more a joy than a chore. The optional Bridgestone Potenza RE030 summer tires ($200), available only with the six-speed manual, would likely improve acceleration, but still, the TL is indisputably fast. The G35 with a six-speed manual (C/D, October 2003) is 0.2 second slower to 60, and the 330i (C/D, February 2002) is 0.7 second behind. The Infiniti outsprints the TL to the quarter-mile by 0.2, with the Bimmer trailing it by 0.5 second.

Base your performance views on curves instead of straight lines, and the Acura's shortcomings quickly become evident. Hustled through the 300-foot skidpad, the TL managed to pull 0.81 g, which is less grip than that achieved by the G35 (0.87) and the 330i (0.83). A call to the Potenza bullpen is in order. On our 10Best handling loop, where twisty roads abound, the TL couldn't attack curves with the same speed and vigor as the Infiniti and BMW, inspiring less confidence because of its heavier front-loaded nature. Balance is key here, and the Acura's 60/40 front-to-rear weight bias can't match the BMW's perfect 50/50 or the Infiniti's 53/47. At 3521 pounds, the TL feels heavy and not nearly as light on its feet as the 330i, which weighs 144 pounds less, and even the G35, which weighs five pounds more.

Moreover, the TL's power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering lacks the direct communication of the BMW's and Infiniti's, hampering a close relationship between the driver and the road. We found ourselves constantly adjusting the wheel through sweeping curves. The steering is weighted in a nice, light fashion, but its effort doesn't build progressively, and there's too much assist when what you want is direct feedback.

The limited slip does its job distributing power to the front tire with more grip, but with 238 pound-feet of torque on tap, there's no masking that the torque plays an unwanted role in the steering, especially now, with the direct connection via the six-speed gearbox. If anything, the limited slip exacerbates the existing torque steer, pulling on the wheel as if each pound-foot were a G.I. Joe action figure in a tug of war. On the plus side, as long as you're conscious of this trait, accelerating out of turns is surprisingly fast, although a bit nerve-racking. A jaunt in a TL with an automatic revealed far less torque steer, thanks to the torque converter that smoothes out the power relay and the lack of a tugging limited-slip. We're usually not ones to say stuff like this, but the automatic is arguably the more fitting transmission for the TL's lofty power numbers.

The brakes, with vicelike Brembos up front, are strong-like-bull, although the 189-foot stopping distance from 70 mph doesn't exactly back up that result. The two-bill tire upgrade would have shortened the distance, but probably not enough to reach the seatbelt-locking halts of the BMW (168 feet) and Infiniti (153). Pedal feel is excellent, relaying just the right amount of resistance to make modulation easy. And heel-and-toe downshifting is a delight, thanks to ideal pedal placement and a drive-by-wire throttle system that requires only a slight nudge of the gas pedal to blip the tachometer.

The TL rides on unequal-length control arms up front and a multilink setup in the rear, a system that soaked up our bumpy Michigan asphalt smoothly and quietly. Whether on silky highways or rippled byways, the TL was the epitome of sporty comfort, taking the edge off big impacts while still transmitting enough of the road to get a sense of the surface. A stiffer structure (Acura says torsional rigidity is up 24 percent), a hydroformed aluminum front subframe (about 23 pounds lighter than a comparable steel one), and special transmission mounts, including one lower mount designed specifically to improve ride comfort, contribute to the supple, serene ride—all of which makes enjoying the handsome, meticulously crafted interior that much more pleasurable.

The TL comes standard with soft, perforated-leather seating; tasteful metallic or wood trim; Panasonic's hot new DVD-audio system with surround sound, developed with Elliot Scheiner, the Grammy Award-winning engineer who's worked with the Eagles, Beck, Sting, and others; Bluetooth wireless capability for cell phones, enabling hands-free operation through the TL's voice-recognition and audio systems; and curtain airbags. All of which is integrated into a cockpit that is bigger than its predecessor's (97.7 cubic feet versus 96.5) and richer in appearance and build quality. Wrapped in sheetmetal that accentuates the short overhangs and athletic stance—an aggressive look that all of us found pleasing to the eye and refreshing in the class—the TL has gone from demure to bold, inside and out.

The TL starts at $33,195 for either the six-speed manual or five-speed automatic. The only options are the aforementioned Potenzas and a navigation system ($2000), which came on our car and raised the sticker to $35,195. An additional thousand bucks gets you into a comparably equipped G35, and about $5000 more puts you behind the wheel of a 330i with all the goodies. Neither of those cars matches the standard-equipment level of the TL, but we wonder how many drivers will actually appreciate DVD and Bluetooth capability. Likely not as many as those who'd appreciate the 270 horses exerting themselves through the rear wheels.

The TL is a beautifully crafted and attractive sports sedan with loads of smart features, and its front-drive layout does have advantages, such as better traction on slippery and snow-covered roads. But until it sends power out back, it'll be hard pressed to get our nod over the rear-drive competition.

COUNTERPOINT

BARRY WINFIELD
I admit to having voted Acura's TL a 10Best contender on one year's ballot, even though the rest of the jury failed to support my assertion. I thought the combination of performance, quality, value, and driving enjoyment too great not to merit inclusion. So this new 2004 TL should have been a shoo-in. The crisp sheetmetal gives the TL a handsome and distinctive character. The new engine is more powerful, and there's a six-speed stick to satisfy the boy racer in all of us. The car's equipment levels are extraordinary, and the Elliot Scheiner stereo is an aural delight. But—and it's a big but—the TL has annoying torque steer. For me, that's a fatal flaw.

TONY SWAN
Acura's familiar formula—plenty of power, lots of baked-in luxury features—should make the new TL even more desirable than its successful predecessor. But there's a catch: 270 horsepower plus the limited-slip diff that goes with the six-speed manual produce more than a little torque reaction. It's only the limited slip doing its job, but that knowledge doesn't seem to soften the response of most who experience it. The TL competes in a segment dominated by rear-drive cars, and the horsepower ante keeps going up. Getting a front-drive car to keep pace requires exactly what Acura is serving up with the TL, but the recipe may be stretched beyond its limits.

PETER LYON
The TL is what Acura is all about. Good looks, superb performance, great ride quality, loads of interior luxury, and all at a reasonable price. Dropped onto the Accord platform with beefed-up body rigidity, the TL employs a scrumptious V-6 with oodles of torque. And that tight, no-nonsense six-speed shifter is a gem, too. For some ungodly reason, though, the TL has picked up a wicked front limited-slip differential that produces unruly torque steer—even in third gear. Gonna be hard to beat the rear-drive Bimmers and G35s. Back in Japan, a Honda engineer said, "We focused on handling and performance this time, and we think we might have gone a little too far."

C/D TEST RESULTS

ACCELERATION (Seconds)
Zero to 30 mph 2.2
40 mph 3.3
50 mph 4.4
60 mph 5.7
70 mph 7.6
80 mph 9.4
90 mph 11.9
100 mph 14.6
110 mph 17.8
120 mph 21.8
130 mph 28.6
Street start, 5-60 mph 6.3
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph 10.4
50-70 mph 10.3
Standing 1/4-mile 14.4 sec @ 99 mph
Top speed (governor limited) 152 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup 189 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad 0.81 g
Understeer minimal moderate excessive

FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving 19 mpg
EPA highway driving 28 mpg
C/D-observed 20 mpg

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle 40 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration 73 dBA
70-mph cruising 70 dBA

ACURA TL

Vehicle type: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
Price as tested: $35,195
Price and option breakdown: base Acura TL (includes $545 freight), $33,195; navigation system, $2000
Major standard accessories: power windows, seats, locks, and sunroof; remote locking; A/C; cruise control; tilting and telescoping steering wheel; rear defroster
Sound system: Acura/ELS AM/FM/satellite radio/cassette/CD/ DVD changer, 8 speakers

ENGINE
Type V-6, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke 3.50 x 3.39 in, 89.0 x 86.0mm
Displacement 196 cu in, 3210cc
Compression ratio 11.0:1
Fuel-delivery system port injection
Valve gear belt-driven single overhead cams, 4 valves per
cylinder, hydraulic lifters, variable
intake-valve timing and lift
Power (SAE net) 270 bhp @ 6200 rpm
Torque (SAE net) 238 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
Redline 6800 rpm

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission 6-speed manual
Final-drive ratio 3.29:1, limited slip

Gear ... Ratio ... Mph/1000 rpm ... Max. test speed
I ... 3.93 ... 5.7 ... 38 mph (6800 rpm)
II ... 2.48 ... 9.0 ... 61 mph (6800 rpm)
III ... 1.70 ... 13.1 ... 89 mph (6800 rpm)
IV ... 1.25 ... 17.8 ... 121 mph (6800 rpm)
V ... 0.98 ... 22.8 ... 152 mph (6650 rpm)
VI ... 0.77 ... 28.9 ... 152 mph (5250 rpm)

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase 107.9 in
Track, front/rear 62.1/62.0 in
Length/width/height 186.2/72.2/56.7 in
Ground clearance 5.8 in
Curb weight 3521 lb
Weight distribution, F/R 59.8/40.2%
Curb weight per horsepower 13.0 lb
Fuel capacity 17.0 gal

CHASSIS/BODY
Type unit construction with 1 rubber-isolated subframe
and 1 rubber-isolated body crossmember
Body material welded steel stampings

INTERIOR
SAE volume, front seat 56 cu ft
rear seat 42 cu ft
luggage 12 cu ft
Front-seat adjustments fore-and-aft, seatback angle; driver
only: front height, rear height,
lumbar support
Restraint systems, front manual 3-point belts; driver and
passenger front, side, and
curtain airbags
rear manual 3-point belts, curtain airbags

SUSPENSION
Front ind, unequal-length control arms, coil springs,
anti-roll bar
Rear ind; 2 lateral links, 2 diagonal links, and 1
toe-control link per side; coil springs; anti-roll bar

STEERING
Type rack-and-pinion with variable hydraulic power assist
Steering ratio 15.4:1
Turns lock-to-lock 2.8
Turning circle curb-to-curb 39.7 ft

BRAKES
Type hydraulic with vacuum power assist and
anti-lock control
Front 12.2 x 1.0-in vented disc
Rear 11.1 x 0.4-in disc

WHEELS AND TIRES
Wheel size/type 8.0 x 17 in/cast aluminum
Tires Bridgestone Turanza EL42, P235/45WR-17
Test inflation pressures, F/R 35/32 psi
Spare high-pressure compact on steel wheel
Old 12-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Ann Job

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/jo...Home&pos=Edit3

Did you guys know this? I didn't:

"The TL's navigation system, expected to be on 25 percent of the models sold, is upgraded from its predecessor for quicker route calculation and additional information.

It's also integrated into the TL's air conditioning since the navigation system's global positioning satellite can tell the direction the car is traveling and where the sun is positioned. As a result, the cooling system can add extra cooling to the passenger area of the car that's getting the sun's direct rays."
Old 12-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Pro

Re: Ann Job

Originally posted by phile
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/jo...Home&pos=Edit3

Did you guys know this? I didn't:

"The TL's navigation system, expected to be on 25 percent of the models sold, is upgraded from its predecessor for quicker route calculation and additional information.

It's also integrated into the TL's air conditioning since the navigation system's global positioning satellite can tell the direction the car is traveling and where the sun is positioned. As a result, the cooling system can add extra cooling to the passenger area of the car that's getting the sun's direct rays."
Yeah, I remember reading about this. It's called "solar sensing" and is also available on the Nav equipped Accord this year.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Pro

A-spec Review - Autoweek Dec 15, 2003

OK, here is the first A-spec review, got it in the December 15th issue of Autoweek today and it is also on line!

Nice review, and they even like the base TL WITH front wheel drive for a change! Quote - "Step on the gas in that car and you don’t even mind that the engine is driving the front wheels."

http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...46946&record=9

Has pics of the A-spec RSX and TL at the site, and the same ones in the mag.

(08:30 Dec. 15, 2003)
Acura A-Spec performance package
Grade A: Acura goes from luxury to performance with A-Spec

By MARK VAUGHN

Acura's TL is transformed with the A-Spec package.
IN WHAT IS SURELY A vast oversimplification, it used to be Hondas were sporty and Acuras were luxurious. Nowadays, if you were so inclined and had a suitable platform from which to foment discussion, say a website or one of those big handheld megaphones, you could argue Acura is now aiming in the fun-to-drive direction, too. And not just because of screamers like the TSX, RSX Type-S and the new TL. Those are all fine, fun products, but the best argument that Acura is going sporty may be the launch of the new A-Spec line.

A-Spec was formerly called Acura Factory Performance, a name marketeers thought sounded too much like its sister division Honda Factory Performance. The A-Spec name was introduced at last year’s SEMA show on an RSX Type-S concept. The production version of that car, after months of tuning, went on sale Nov. 30 with A-Spec springs, shocks, wheels, tires, aerodynamic add-ons and other handling enhancements. We drove one recently and found it to be a big step up in performance from the stock RSX, even the RSX Type-S from which it is ascended. Body roll in particular felt like it was about cut in half, maybe more so, and the improved response was easily worth the small price in ride harshness.

The bigger news, however, may be that this month Acura will introduce an A-Spec version of the new 2004 TL, formerly just a sedate near-luxury sedan. If Acura can make the TL fun, anything can happen. Right out of the box the stock 2004 TL is different. It’s fun to drive, centered around that whompin’-smooth 270-hp 3.2-liter V6 and six-speed manual. Step on the gas in that car and you don’t even mind that the engine is driving the front wheels.

Now, to that fine TL sedan Acura adds an A-Spec suspension and body kit to match. And it matches nicely. The shocks match the springs, the wheels and tires match the shocks and the suspension in general is more responsive without being overly harsh. We drove the A-Spec TL over twisting mountain roads in the San Gabriel mountains of California and through the short, tight Streets of Willow road course and came away happy.

A-Spec, also available for the RSX, makes both cars more fun to drive.

On the track the TL still felt its nearly 3500-pound curb weight, especially downshifting into corners. And the engine was so quiet that it was hard to whack the Sport Shift automatic into the right gear at precisely the right time if you were doing it by sound rather than looking down at the tach. But that mass was better controlled on the A-Spec TL than on the stock TL. Engineers chose compression and rebound rates for the shocks that were closer to the NSX than the stock TL. The compression stroke of the shocks was firmed up, while rebound was softened. On stock shocks it is the opposite, with lots more softness on compression for that luxury Acura ride.

The stiffer springs also lower the car by almost an inch, and improve the look of the TL as well as the ride. Many aftermarket tuners concentrate on just lowering the car with shorter, stiffer springs and often leave the shocks stock.

The aero parts do more than improve the car’s looks, too. How many aftermarket aero kits have ever seen the inside of a wind tunnel? This package actually lowers the coefficient of drag from 0.29 to 0.28 and reduces lift by 0.088, figures virtually unheard of among aftermarket body kits. Most bolt-on wings slow the car down like tiny, stylish parachutes. The A-Spec TL includes front, side, rear and underbody spoilers, as well as your choice of a decklid wing or spoiler on the trailing edge of the car.

The 18x8.5-inch wheels are forged and made thinner than stock for lightness, while the 235/40VR Yokohama AVS ES100 tires come with a thinner layer of rubber for both lightness and improved handling. The drawback is a shorter tread life, but that is the tradeoff for more grip. Tire and road noise is a little more than what you get with the stock TL 17-inch tires, but not as harsh as those on the RSX.

As on the stock TL, the automatic-transmission cars come with performance brake pads. The manual-transmission models come with Brembo rotors and four-piston calipers up front.

The A-Spec TL is such a nicely cohesive package (including unique steering wheel and nifty A-Spec badging) that, as with any HFP or A-Spec package, you can’t buy it in bits and pieces, you have to buy everything that is offered. They won’t even let you put it on your TL yourself, the dealer has to do it. And it ain’t cheap. It is $5,200 plus dealer installation, which will run you about $500 or so. Throw in taxes and you are up close to six grand. The A-Spec RSX is $4,200 plus installation.

Parts aficionados will quickly leap to their keyboards saying they could get similar parts upgrades for a TL at half the price right now on some website, so why spend twice as much for an A-Spec? Several reasons.

It can all be financed with the same loan that pays for your new car. Website suppliers usually haven’t tested their parts for 155,000 miles on roads and tracks all over the world like Tochigi, the Nürburgring, the autobahn and the San Diego freeway (okay, most have tested on the San Diego freeway). Few if any offer a four-year, 50,000-mile warranty. And few have made such a concerted effort to find parts that complement one another and balance out performance such that everything feels like it belongs with everything else.

Acura expects to sell 1000 TLs with the A-Spec package. Once Acura has reached that goal and recovered its tooling costs, it may offer the suspension upgrades separate from the aero kit. You can buy the aero kit separately now. The plan is to sell 500 A-Spec RSXs.

Acura sells about 65,000 TLs a year, so 1000 A-Spec versions make up only about 1.5 percent of the total. Acura sells 25,000 RSXs, so 500 would be 2 percent. That is not a whole lot in volume. But it is not sales figures that make A-Spec important, the important thing is the direction Acura is now headed.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
TL Stereo on Edmunds top 10

HERE'S the link if you want to read the whole article in which the Acura TL's stereo was ranked one of the ten best in a $30k + car for 2004.

The actual text:
Originally posted by Edmunds.com
Acura offers the first true 5.1 surround sound system to be obtainable as factory equipment in a production vehicle. Though its 225 watts and eight speakers (including a subwoofer and a pair of tweeters) might sound ordinary by today's standards, the fact that it can play sound through six separate channels is not. This means that the sound is more lifelike, as instruments and vocals have more separation thanks to the six-channel capability. But in order to enjoy the new technology, you need to feed DVD-Audio discs into the in-dash changer. DVD-A discs can hold more, allowing them to house six-channel recordings and providing up to 500 times the resolution of a normal CD. If your taste isn't mainstream, you'll probably have to wait awhile to take advantage of this new format. Fortunately, regular CDs also sound great in the newly redesigned TL. The stereo does not accommodate MP3s, because the company felt that they don't offer high enough sound quality to be worthy of this superior system.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
HERE'S another link to an article on "The Car Magazine.com", a Canadian car mag. I can't take credit for finding it; an A-TL.com user did.

The author admits to a RWD/AWD bias but feels the TL is "literally flawless". Take that, C & D!

2004 Acura TL Road Test
By Rob Rothwell/Canadian Auto Press

Performance, Polish and Refinement

Canada's west coast is often referred to as Canada's wet coast, and quite rightly so thanks to the rainforest eco system that beholds the area. Along with developing an appreciation of automotive engineering and performance, a west coast auto journalist must also develop an appreciation for rain, regardless of whether a test vehicle is a convertible sports coupe or an all-weather SUV. Well this week's road test enhanced my appreciation for flawless automotive engineering and performance, even though the rain remains under-appreciated.

Flawless is literally (no pun intended) the only way I can describe Acura's new TL near-luxury sport sedan. This is one sweet automobile, and at a fully-loaded starting price of $41,750 including PDI, to a high of $44,950, also including PDI, there may be no better sport sedan value available anywhere through lawful means.

The new TL is the third generation of the Acura line that, after initially starting out as the Vigor in 1992, first met the public in TL form in 1995. It was further redesigned and much upgraded for the 1999 model year. The latest TL incarnation improves upon the second-gen version in every respect, the obvious goal of the engineers. The new TL does in fact out-handle, out-brake and out-perform the old guy, which is remarkable given the high thresholds set by the most recent '03 TL.

In addition to eclipsing the old model's performance limits, Acura set out to "create an all-new vehicle with an exterior design that is more taut, athletic and powerful than before." I think Acura again achieved its goal, even if the TL's side-profile smacks of a 3 series BMW. But that's where any similarity comes to a grinding halt. The TL's traditional Acura nose has taken on a pointy-ness that is further sharpened by the car's slim, wrap-around Xenon headlights. Large cooling slots in the lower front fascia add to the assertive face sure to be approaching quickly in the rearview mirror cars ahead.

The boldness continues down each side of Acura's new midsize sedan, where unlike the slab-sided TSX, and Cadillac CTS for that matter, the designers penned in fairly dramatic contouring around each wheel. The broad side-profile is further emphasized by a substantive C-pillar rising up from the angular trunk and rear end treatment. Yes, the new TL is more aggressively styled than its predecessor, but I don't think the styling bulls-eye was struck. My rudimentary sense of proportion and design still places Audi and BMW at the front of the exterior-styling lineup. Although when any of the TL's four doors is swung open the design lineup changes, giving Japan a seat at the head of the interior design table. The cabin's design, fit, finish and tactility is all magnificent. If a better-assembled cabin in a high production sedan exists, regardless of price, I haven't seen it. Joints and seems have been kept to a minimum and those that are required fit together with precision and accuracy.
I was particularly struck by the quality of the manmade materials that compose the dash, door panels and various accoutrements. Almost every surface, except for switchgear and the like, is textured and forgiving to the touch of hands - mine that have not seen enough hard work in their forty-something years of existence. There is nothing hard, shiny and plastic about the TL, except for the burled wood trim that may or may not be real. Either way, it's very convincing and tastefully applied.

But we all know that style and good-looks can only get you so far in life, otherwise I would be piloting a Ferrari and running neck to neck with Michael Schumacher in F1 (and so would the Honda-powered BAR car for that matter). As it turns out, I am running neck to neck with 1.6 million other motorists fighting to get to point B in the most comfort and least time our local highway system will allow. Fortunately the TL relies on its comfort and overall quality to distinguish itself from the cookie-cutters cluttering up the morning commute, and when the traffic clears its motivating acceleration and refined road-manners.
That performance begins with 270 horsepower and doesn't look back. If bees made engines, this one would be all venom disguised as honey. Any manufacturer, American based or abroad, would do well to benchmark Acura's 3.2 liter (195 cu in) SOHC VTEC, 24-valve V6. Few engines manufactured today can provide the balance, smoothness and snappy performance of this little honey pot. Its powerband is very linear and its power isn't reserved for the 5,000 and above rpm crowd. Nope, the power wakens early and delivers a full day of work, peaking out at 238 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm.
"So the facts and figures may read well, but what's the front-wheel drive powertrain really like," I can hear you asking - at least I hope that's what you're asking. I've always been a front-wheel drive skeptic, much preferring rear- or all-wheel drive. And call me a relic, but I have always had a bit of a scowl for people that touted V6 engines as performers. Well, this week the scowl was wiped away and my skepticism has weakened, but not entirely evaporated.
Driving the TL is one fine experience, don't get me wrong. The engine note is heavily muted but absolutely a pleasure to listen to. At times I turned off the 225 watts powering the audio system and just marveled at the engine's orchestration. There are few sweeter sounding powerplants, whether playing with six or eight cylinders. And as the orchestra conductor, the driver controls the notes with the use of a right foot placed squarely against a very Germanic feeling bottom hinged gas pedal. On the left side of the foot-well, a solid dead pedal fastens the driver's left foot to the chassis.

Playing in rhythm to the engine's auditory notes is a transmission that knows precisely which of its 5-speeds to assign to the tempo. Downshifts are undertaken with smoothness and decisiveness. No unscheduled pauses here, just mind-reading precision. However, should the driver choose to direct the shift occurrences, the Sequential Sportshift mode will execute each input with immediacy. The TL, however, will over-ride inputs, or a lack thereof, if it relates to first gear or an unwillingness by the driver to obey with the redline deadline. Consider it a parental control intended to preserve your engine and drivetrain in the same way that a V-chip is intended to preserve childlike innocence.

Of course the drivetrain only accounts for the first half of the performance factor. The second half belongs to the chassis. BMW set the chassis benchmark with the 3 Series sport coupes and sedans. Dare I say it, but I am of the opinion that our Japanese brethren have met the German benchmark and possibly exceeded it with the new TL. There, I've said it and I am still standing, well sitting actually, upright and conscious. It would take side-by-side runs around a twisty track to identify the true pole sitter in terms of chassis dynamics. Suffice to say the TL will not disappoint any fair-minded, objective motoring enthusiast.
Slight understeer during hard cornering imparts a sense of control to the driver. There is nothing tricky or unpredictable going on. The rear end stays where it should, behind the front, and the car arcs through curves while maintaining a predetermined line. Should things become perilous, the TL's Vehicle Stability Assist throws a little technology into the mix to provide wheel specific braking in an effort to return control from whence it came. This technology is not a substitute for common sense and caution, of course, and never can or should be, so drive wisely.
I have sampled a number of fine handling vehicles over the years, with most rattling loose a filling or two due to the rigidity of their suspension setups. Quite admirably, the new TL has managed to retain ride comfort that is not markedly different than that of its cousin, several times removed, the Honda Accord. Acura press material expounds upon the effort their engineers put into ensuring the TL maintained a quality ride while delivering exceptional handling. Once again I would characterize their effort in this regard as striking the bulls-eye.

The TL utilizes an independent double wishbone suspension and stabilizer bars at both the front and rear, along with speed-sensitive rack and pinion steering. The engineers were also successful at nearly eliminating the bane of all front-drivers, torque-steer, however, the little devil can still present itself under full acceleration when the front wheels are on uneven pavement or dealing with rutted roads. Hence my weakened, but not evaporated skepticism of front-wheel drive performance vehicles.

Infiniti saw fit to drive the rear-wheels of its G35 sedan, a direct competitor of the TL, so I don't see why Acura can't break the FWD mold and create a super performer out of the TL. Or better yet, how about Audi'izing it by adapting the MDX all-wheel-drive technology to it. Oh well, one can dream. I suppose there are some, raised on FWD cars, that appreciate the configuration's specific driving dynamics. Everyone's different, right?

When the chassis folks were planning brakes for the TL, they planned well. When the Dynamic package is selected, the 6-speed manual TL will arrive equipped with a Brembo braking system incorporating 4-front pistons. Regardless of Brembo or not all TL brakes are of the anti-lock variety and feature Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD). In other words, there's no need to throw an anchor out to stop it. I sampled the non-Brembo system and found that it works just fine, thank you very much. Repeated stops were quick, controlled and fade free. The only problem was cleaning off my face print from the front windshield after each stop.

Naturally, good brakes are the first step in ensuring occupant safety. But when brakes are not enough, the TL has several other safety tricks up its tailpipe, of which by the way, there are two tipped with chrome and smartly tucked into each corner of the rear bumper.

Driver and front passenger each receive a dual stage, dual threshold front airbag; followed up with side airbags and a front occupant detection system. The folks in the rear will be comforted by the knowledge that they are also granted airbag status with the presence of a side curtain airbag system.

Somewhere near the beginning of this article, I described the quality of the TL's interior. It's now time to articulate the comfort and convenience its cabin imparts. All TL's come with perforated leather seating and door panel inserts. The seats are among the best I've tested, bar none. The driver receives 8-way power adjustments, including lumbar. The passenger gets a 4-way power adjustable seat. Both are heated.

Sitting in such comfort is just the start of the total TL experience. If you're a music lover as I am, you'll go gaga over the audio system, which interfaces through the navigation screen. This is the first automotive application of 6-channel surround sound technology as standard equipment in a production vehicle. The system plays conventional CDs with amazing sound quality, but pop in Acura's sample surround sound audio DVD and the audio performance will glue you to the seat. I found myself sitting inside the car in my garage listening in wonderment. The six-audio channels of DVD technology, as opposed to the two-audio channels of conventional stereo, produce sound that is incredibly distinct and clear; with what sounds like the separation of each instrument. This is definitely the wave of the future in terms of audio technology. At this point though, I don't believe that audio DVDs are widely available.

Except for the base model, all TLs feature voice-command controls for the navigation, audio and climate systems. Pressing a small button on the steering wheel and uttering the correct, or reasonably correct, phrases will prompt a voice reply confirming and applying your request. After just a short time of monkeying, my 9-year old technician for a son and I mastered the process.

The technological wizardry doesn't end with surround sound and voice command, mind you. The TL is also the first production vehicle to apply Bluetooth wireless technology (called HandsFree Link by Acura). When an occupant with a Bluetooth feature equipped cell phone enters the vehicle the phone automatically connects itself wirelessly to the TL's infotainment system. Voice commands can then be used to dial the phone and converse through the TL's audio system with the person on the other end of the phone. No need to remove your hands from the wheel, use annoying hands-free technology or wired mikes, etc. Expect to see this technology become available in many other competitive vehicles in the near future.

Beyond the cutting-edge technology, the TL provides all of the luxury and convenience features expected in a premium automobile. There's nothing to disappoint or displease even the fussiest 'Felix Ungers" among us, with niceties that include dual-zone climate control and memory settings that detect key 1 or 2 and automatically set the seat, mirrors and steering wheel to the driver's preference.

The TL can be obtained in three different trim levels, which actually pertain more to whether you choose a navigation system or a 6-speed manual transmission. The basic TL, which is anything but basic, has all the options save and except for the navigation system, voice command and HandsFree Link. The Navi package adds the navigation system, voice command and HandsFree Link. The Dynamic package adds the 6-speed manual transmission, Brembo brakes, high performance summer tires and HandsFree Link.

With the new TL, Acura has put purified water and premium Columbian coffee into the percolator. How long it will take the competition to wake up and smell this java is anyone's guess, but I can assure you of one thing - it won't take as long for savvy premium car buyers. Acura's aggressive price point will guarantee this, with the entry car starting at $40,800.

Competition in this segment is fierce and customers demand value. With the TL, that's exactly what they'll get, along with a huge dose of motoring inspiration. I have no doubt it will make quite an impression on those who experience it. Even standing still it draws attention. When a duo of university students passing by in a competing brand slowed, nodded their heads and in unison yelled "nice car," it added more ammunition to what I already understood. Acura has a sure winner in the TL.

Specifications:

Price Range (MSRP): $40,800 - $44,000 (not including all options)
Body Type: 4-door sedan
Layout: front engine, FWD
Engine: 270 hp, 238 lb-ft of torque, 3.2-L (195 cu in), SOHC, 24-valve V6
Transmission: 5-spd auto with manual mode (opt 6-spd manual)
Brakes (front/rear): disc/disc, ABS (Brembo brakes on Dynamic package)
Curb Weight: 1,626 kg (3,585 lbs)
Seating Capacity: 5
Cargo Volume (trunk): 354 L (12.5 cu ft)
Fuel Economy EPA city/hwy: 11.7 / 7.7 L/100 km (24 / 37 mpg) (auto)
Warranty (mo/km): 36/60,000 km comprehensive - 60/100,000 powertrain
Direct Competitors: Audi A4, BMW 3-Series, Cadillac CTS, Chrysler 300-Series, Infiniti G35 / I35, Jaguar X-Type, Lexus ES 300 / IS 300, Lincoln LS, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Mitsubishi Diamante, Nissan Maxima, Oldsmobile Aurora, Pontiac Bonneville SSE, Saab 9-3, Volkswagen Passat, Volvo S60
Web Site: www.acura.ca
Old 12-15-2003, 05:02 PM
Pro

Playboy reviews TL and Maxima

Front Runners

Certain automotive enthusiasts contend that you must raid either Munich or Stuttgart for a rear-wheel-drive icon with a staggering price tag in order to score a true performance sedan. We beg to differ. With their TL and Maxima, Acura and Nissan have shown that they can load plenty of performance and technology into sedans that are roomy, well built, sexy and, yes, affordable. And as front-wheel drivers, they also deal with winter weather much better than a lot of their rear-drive counterparts.

Acura's TL has grown in just about every dimension since last year, and now has a potent 270 hp engine that is a blast to flog using the six-speed manual transmission we sampled. Even though the Maxima actually has more room, the TL feels more spacious, especially in the back seat.

The TL's accommodations are superb, with a driver's seat that cradles your physique during spirited driving episodes. Ride and handling strike a fine balance between floaty comfort and sporting firmness, with great steering feedback. Topping all this off is one of the finest sound systems we've ever experienced. This beast includes AM/FM, XM Satellite capability, cassette, eight-disc CD changer and DVD-A capable surround sound. There's also a wireless Bluetooth telephone interface with hands-free operation. Unlike a lot of other cars in this class that offer so much audio capability, the TL's controls are easy to access. Excellent gauges round out a slick package that we only wish had a bit more muscle in the lower RPM range.

Nissan's Maxima has more high-tech styling than the TL and a very different personality, but, like the Acura, you might find yourself taking the long way home just for the fun of it. We tested the five-speed automatic V-6, which has slightly less horsepower than the Acura but more low-end torque. It features a sweet drivetrain that shifts seamlessly and offers plenty of passing power along with a great exhaust note. The Maxima feels a bit more spartan than the TL yet makes up for it with a more athletic feel in the twisties and brakes with a bit more bite. The interior is well appointed but not as smoothly integrated as the Acura, and the materials aren't as luxurious. But this car sports a unique feature: a fixed-glass Skyview roof. This is a narrow band of glass running down the center of the roof that allows you to glimpse the stars even from the back seat, should you and your date find yourselves there.

Both the Maxima and the TL have roomy trunks, but the Nissan offers a split, fold-down rear seat that trumps the Acura's narrow passthrough (for skis and the like). Like the TL, the Maxima has a sound system with both cassette and CD changer, but it doesn't have the sonic punch of its competitor.

Now, we're not saying we don't like the mighty German übersedans, because we do. But it's great to know that those of us with thinner wallets have excellent options as well.

-- Bill Heald
Old 01-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Pro

Consumer Reports Reviews the TL - Thanks to RJCRSX for typing this up!

Consumer Reports Reviews the TL (02-04 issue)
thanks to RJCRSX for typing this up!

On the very first page, the subheading is, "Upscale Sedans: Inside and out, the redesigned Acura TL is best in its class."

Redesigned for 2004, the Acura TL is a significant improvement over the previous version. Overall, it scored well enough in our tests not only to top this month's group, but to edge out the BMW 330i as the best upscale sedan that we've tested (see the Ratings chart on the facing page). The 330i had held the top ranking for nearly three years.

The TL is based on the Honda Accord V6, which has also received excellent scores in our tests. It's more fun to drive than its predecessor and feels more like a sports sedan. The TL also has a comfortable, impeccably detailed interior and a refined 3.2-liter V6 engine that achieved both the quickest acceleration and best fuel economy of this group.

Most of the top models in the upscale-sedan category use rear-wheel drive, which typically helps a car's handling and steering. While the front-wheel-drive TL didn't quite match the BMW 330i in at-the-limit handling performance, its agility and power make it invigorating to drive. At $33,150, it also costs about $7,000 less than a comparably equipped 330i.

Ratings: Upscale Sedans

1. Acura TL*
2. BMW 330i
3. Lexus IS300
4. Lexus ES330*
5. Mercedes-Benz C320
6. Lincoln LS Premium V6
7. Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
8. Cadillac CTS
9. Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE
10. Infiniti I35
11. Saab 9-3 Aero
12. Infiniti G35
13. Jaguar X-Type 3.0
14. Saab 9-5 Arc*
15. Volvo S60 2.5T*

*in this issue.

Acura TL

Highs | Acceleration, fuel economy, handling, transmission, quietness, fit and finish, value.

Lows | Turning circle, rear seat doesn't fold.

The redesigned Acura TL provides an excellent blend of comfort, convenience, and sportiness. It delivers taut, agile handling and the quickest acceleration and best fuel efficiency of this group. We also liked the impressive interior, comfortable ride, and quiet cabin. Although it provided the best handling in this group, the TL doesn't match the overall driving experience of the BMW 330i. Reliability should be better than average.

The Driving Experience

The TL's firm ride is well-controlled, with good isolation from bumps. The highway ride is steady, and the cabin is very quiet. The wide turning circle is one of the few negatives.

The Acura feels taut and responsive in cornering, with well-contained body lean. The nicely weighted steering is communicative and quick. In emergency-handling tests, the TL demonstrated good tire grip and cornering balance, and it proved secure in our avoidance maneuver, where it posted the fastest speed of the group.

Powered by a smooth 270-hp, 3.2-liter V6, the TL is noticeably quicker than the other cars here. Even with such high horsepower, the car was largely devoid of torque steer, a tendency for the front wheels to briefly pull the vehicle off its intended line under strong acceleration (common in front-wheel-drive cars). The engine is coupled with a smooth and responsive five-speed automatic transmission.

The TL gets a respectable 23 mpg overall and meets Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle standards, which means that it is 50 percent cleaner than the average 2004 model. Braking was very good. The standard HID low-beam headlights have a sharp cutoff that can be annoying to the driver and oncoming traffic. High-beam distance is good.

Inside the Cabin

The interior is impressive, with precise fit and flawless execution. Outward visibility was excellent for all drivers behind the tilt and telescoping steering wheel. The firm, comfortable front seats provide good support. The roomy rear bench has ample leg and head room, but it is a bit low. Three adults will fit with moderate side contact. Access is easy.

Controls are well-placed and readable, with most lit at night. Minor gripes include a long reach to the defogger controls and obscured mirror controls. Cabin storage space is good. There are two sturdy cupholders in both the front and rear. Unlike the Saab and Volvo, the rear seatback does not fold to expand trunk space.

Safety Notes

Front-air-bag deployment varies, depending on impact force and safety-belt usage. Sensors in the passenger seat disable the side air bag if an occupant leans into its deployment path. The rear center seat lacks a head restraint.

Driving with Kids: Some rear-facing infant seats may have too much tilt in the rear seats when installed with the car's safety belts. The LATCH and top-tether anchors are awkward to access.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 01-05-2004, 02:49 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
yea... it looked good in person... although the paint was weird and sparkly
Old 01-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Blackbird baby..

The interior is kinda nice.. The outside is BUTT-UGLY tho. imo.. Esp the front..
Old 01-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just give me those rims I'll be cool.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:49 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that shit is money
Old 01-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Pro

Newsday Jan 30, 2004

http://www.newsday.com/business/colu...ess-columnists

The Acura TL: Horsepower At the Head of Its Class
Tom Incantalupo

January 30, 2004

I'm not suggesting you do this, mind you, but you could close your eyes while behind the wheel of the new Acura TL and think you're driving a BMW.

Although the TL's variable-assist steering is a bit lighter than a BMW's, the Acura rides with the same firmness and handles with the same authority.

Redesigned for '04 and based on the Accord, which itself was redesigned for '03, the new TL is a fun-to-drive sedan right out of the box -- no need to opt for a performance version. It's a supremely quiet highway cruiser, too, with an impressive 270 hp. and a price that's reasonable considering the level of equipment and Acura's excellent reputation for quality.

The TL's modified V-6 offers 10 more horsepower than that of the "Type S" version of the previous TL, which delivered 260 hp. Other TLs had 225-hp. versions of that engine.

The TL is not to be confused with the smaller Acura TSX, which is based on a version of the Accord sold in Japan and Europe. The TSX costs about $6,000 less than the TL, and it has a four- .cylinder engine.

On sale since October, the TL now has a sport-tuned suspension in all versions. If it's not enough for you, though, Acura dealers will sell you an "A-SPEC" package for $5,200 plus installation that includes track-tuned shocks and springs, high-performance low-profile Yokohama tires on larger wheels and a variety of cosmetics.

Acura says the TL's steering has been refined for '04 for improved road "feel" and reduced kickback.

Except for the A-SPEC package, the TL comes in six basic versions -- with stick shift or automatic, with and without a navigation system and with or without Bridgestone Potenza high-performance tires. The tester had the basic all-season tires -- P235/45R17 Bridgestone Turanzas. Given the TL's firm suspension, you might want to think twice about the performance tires, which are sure to ride harder. I doubt you'll need their extra capabil.ity.

Base prices for the TL range from $33,195 to $35,395, both including freight. There are no other factory installed, stand-alone options.

The TL managed to lose 6.7 inches in the redesign -- to make it sportier- .looking, Acura says, but it gained about 2 inches in width. Every key measure of interior room is either the same or improved from those of the '03 model. Except trunk space, which is down by almost 2 cubic feet.

The shorter exterior is becoming, I think, and so are the deep character lines down each side, the latter helping differentiate the TL from its Honda cousin.

The 3.2-liter V-6 engine is as smooth as they come, and has Honda's much- vaunted "VTEC" variable valve timing and lift system, with four valves per cylinder. Performance enthusiasts might wish for a stronger exhaust tone. This engine needs premium gas.

Unfortunately, the front-wheel- drive layout takes some of the fun out of stretching the TL's legs -- one area where a rear-drive BMW excels -- because 270 is a lot of horsepower to push through tires that also have to steer and which will tend to lose their grip under hard acceleration. Still, Car and Driver said zero to 60mph took a quick 5.7 seconds in its tests.

The five-speed automatic transmission, which my tester had, allows clutchless manual shifting. A new six-speed stick shift is available as a no-cost option.

Suspension is fully independent, with gas-charged shocks and stabilizer bars front and rear.

Stick shift versions come with thicker stabilizer bars, firmer spring rates, higher performing front Brembo brakes and a limited-slip differential. Only stick shift models are available with the performance tires.

Complaints: only a couple. The drive-by-wire throttle system is touchy; it's difficult to start off smoothly. The rear seatback does not fold down to increase cargo room, although there is a pass-through.

All TL versions come quite well equipped, with seat-mounted side-impact air bags up front and curtain-type air bags covering front and rear seaters; antilock brakes with electronic brake force distribution, brake assist and stability and traction control; power everything with a two-driver memory covering the seat, outside mirrors and climate system; leather seats; moon roof, manually operated tilt and telescoping wheel; dual-zone A/C; and connectivity with Bluetooth-capable cell phones.

Honda says the stability system now controls the brakes at all four wheels, not just the fronts as did that in the previous TL. The brakes' electronic-force distribution and brake assist also are new features for '04.

The TL's cabin is typical of Hondas -- bright and airy, with controls that have a feel and look of high-tech equipment. The tester's two-tone black and saddle interior had just four wood inserts -- one on each door -- and was .otherwise trimmed in brushed aluminum. Very nice.

In models with the nav system, certain stereo adjustments require wiping the map off the screen, but the important controls, thankfully, are independent of the nav system, as are all of the climate .controls.

Though oil pressure and voltage gauges are absent, those that are there are attractive and easily readable day or night, with white lettering on a black background all backlit in blue.

Overall, the TL is an appealing .package.

But there's lots of competition also worth considering, and the best of it is rear drive, such as the Cadillac CTS. All-wheel drive is available in some, including the Audi A4, .Infiniti G35 sedan and BMW 325i and 330i. In raw horsepower, though, the TL pulls ahead. Its 270 bests the G35's 260, the 330i's 225, the A4 V-6's 220, the Lexus ES 330's 225 and the Cadillac CTS' 220 (although the .Infiniti's larger- .displacement 3.5-liter engine delivers higher torque).

The longest car in this group, the CTS, offers the most rear seat legroom, but it beats the TL by only slightly more than an inch.

As noted, Acuras tend to do well in surveys of quality and customer satisfaction, such as those published by Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and Associates. So, while there's risk in any new model, it should be small here.

Federal auto safety officials have no crash test rating yet for the new TL. The previous model scored well, though not perfect.

2004 Acura TL

Engine: 270-hp., 3.2-liter V-6.

Transmission: Five-speed automatic, front-wheel drive.

Safety: Dual front, side and curtain-type air bags; 4-wheel disc brakes with antilock, brake assist, electronic brake force distribution and stability control; fog lamps.

Place of Assembly: Marysville, Ohio.

Weight: 3,582 pounds.

Trunk: 12.3 cubic feet.

EPA Mileage Rating: 20 mpg city, 28 highway

Price as Driven: $35,195, including destination charge.

Email: tom.incantalupo@newsday.com
Old 01-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Pro

U.S. News

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech...w/acura_tl.htm

2004 Acura TL
A wolf in a school uniform

By Richard J. Newman

NITS: There’s no auto-headlight feature, the glove box is puny, and the trunk light is dim.

G-FORCES: The 270-horsepower V-6 engine is a standout. Response is immediate, and electronic-throttle technology makes acceleration whisper smooth. Handling is firm but not as crisp as on rear-drive sedans.

GIZMOLOGY: The dashboard is clean, with controls that are easy to find and use. A well-designed strip display runs along the top of the dash, minimizing the time you have to take your eyes off the road to gather basic climate or radio info. Nifty features include an armrest that slides forward and back to accommodate different-size drivers.

KID MARKS: The back seat is comfy and spacious, and easy for kids to climb in and out of. I had one annoying problem, though. The seat-belt latches are recessed into the seat in a manner that put them underneath my kids’ booster seats, making it extremely awkward to buckle them in. This was enough of an annoyance that if I were considering buying this car I’d insist on a fix, or scratch the TL off my list.

HOT OR NOT: Hot. But the styling is awfully reminiscent of the plain-vanilla Honda Accord.

ENVIROMETER: Rates either 8 out of 10 or 9 out of 10 on the EPA’s emissions/air pollution scale, depending on the state. Info: http://www.epa.gov/autoemissions/
E-ACURA-TL-04.htm. Mileage ranges from 20 mpg city to 30 mpg highway.

CRASH COURSE: Government crash test data are forthcoming and should be posted at http://www.nhtsa.gov/
NCAP/Cars/2641.html.

PRICE POINTS: Base price is $33,195. Price as tested: $35,195.

MORE INFO: http://www.acura.com/models/
model_index.asp?module=tl

Merging. Passing. Showing off to that babe or hunk in the next lane. The TL motivates you to find any excuse to accelerate. The 270-horsepower V-6 engine is so slick and eager to please that it awaits the touch of your foot like an expert butler: It’s not showy, but when you issue a command it’s met with instant results. And it’s far more thrilling than a martini delivered on a doily.

Acura’s redesigned TL debuts on challenging turf. The market for entry-luxe sport sedans is crowded and highly competitive, with some knockout products that seem well worth the equivalent of a year at Harvard. When it comes to speed, the TL races to the front of the pack. Parent-company Honda builds some of the smoothest, sassiest engines in the business, and the TL packs one of the best. At highway speeds you can barely hear it, and when you hammer the gas and the car shoves you back in your seat, the power plant still sounds mild-mannered. The TL’s slightly angular styling, edgy by Honda’s standards, is agile and purposeful. And the interior is hip and handsome. The cool blue glow of the instrumentation is matched by neon rings around the radio dials, giving the cabin the ambience of an upscale jazz bar. The TL feels good whether you’re racing down the freeway or sitting in your garage.

It falls behind by a head, however, as the finish line approaches. Unlike the BMW 3 Series or the Infiniti G35, the TL is powered by the front wheels, which undercuts performance. The wheels tend to quiver on curves (typical of front-wheel-drive cars), and steering isn’t as predictable as in a rear-drive sedan. The cabin, refined as it is, still falls a touch short of the precise engineering for which Lexus is famed. Storage lids tend to stick occasionally, and dashboard surfaces don’t line up with the mechanical perfection found in industry leaders. None of that is not meant to disparage a fine automobile. The TL is a stimulating, satisfying car that is sure to leave purchasers with few regrets. It is simply an A student in a class filled with A+ overachievers.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full Test: 2004 Acura TL
More Than Pulling its Weight

http://edmunds.nytimes.com/new/2004/...ticleId=101197

By Edmunds.com Editors
Date posted: 01-20-2004

When it comes to sport sedans, for all-out handling, purists tend to prefer rear-wheel drive to front. The chief reasons are a better weight balance between the front and rear wheels (which gives the car a more neutral attitude when being pushed) and less work for the front wheels, (which are already charged with the tasks of steering and providing around 70 percent of the braking). Also, less weight on the nose means less understeer, which means that the car turns more eagerly into a turn. And when accelerating out of said turn, a powerful front-driver may exhibit torque steer (the tendency to pull to one side under hard acceleration). Lastly, and of admittedly little value in the real world, a rear-driver allows an expert driver to "hang the tail out" a bit when going 'round a corner, adding to the thrill of piloting a high-performance vehicle.

Acura has been a proponent of front-wheel drive since the company's inception in 1986. All of its cars, save the exotic NSX sports car, have put the power to the pavement through the front wheels. This is not surprising when one considers that its parent company, Honda, has always preferred pulling, rather than pushing, its cars' weight around (with the exception of the S2000). Because a front-drive car has more weight over the drive wheels, it affords better traction on slippery roads. For this reason, front-wheel-drive cars grew extremely popular during the 1970s and 1980s in regions of the country where negotiating rain, snow, slush and ice-covered roads was part of life every winter and spring. Now, with the advent of traction control, rear-drive cars fitted with snow tires have become nearly as adept at traversing slick pavement. Still, traction control can only make the best of the available grip, and a front-drive car, with more weight over the drive wheels, will usually have greater potential grip than an equivalent rear-driver.

Although the previous TL -- particularly the higher-performance, 260-horse Type-S version -- was a car that attempted to offer equal measures of sporty driving dynamics and luxury, many critics felt it just didn't offer enough sport. With the newest iteration, Acura engineers made a concerted effort to up the athletic ante. Their goal was to make the "standard" TL a better-performing car than last year's Type-S, and to that end the new car not only has more power, but firmer suspension settings and recalibrated steering.

In TL tradition, the 2004 model comes loaded, even more so than before. Beyond including standard luxury features such as leather seating, a 10-way power driver seat, a power moonroof and heated front seats, the new TL has bi-xenon headlamps, XM Satellite Radio and an exclusive 5.1 DVD-Audio system that sends out the sound through six channels, as opposed to the typical two. Even Bluetooth (hands-free cell phone technology that allows you to use the TL's voice command system to operate your phone) is standard. To better illustrate the value quotient of the TL, consider this: to make a $45,000 base price BMW 530i equal in terms of features would require adding $5,000 in option packages to the Bimmer, putting its sticker $15,000 over the Acura's.

All the state-of-the-art safety features are included as well, such as stability control, BrakeAssist and side curtain airbags. As of this writing, the TL had yet to be crash tested, though Acura is confident of top marks across the board.

Unlike some carmakers that dazzle the potential buyer with numerous trim levels and option packages, Acura makes the purchase simple. One need only make three or four decisions (beyond color) when considering a new TL: whether to go with a five-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission, whether to opt for the navigation system, whether (on manual-gearbox TLs) to spring for high-performance "summer tires" and, for ultraserious driving enthusiasts, whether to spring for the dealer-installed "A-Spec" package, which we detail later in this test. Our six-speed TL test car had both the nav system and the performance tires.

Taking a closer look at the '04 TL, it's apparent that Acura is trying hard to have its own "face." The five-point grille design that the company has been using for years is heavily emphasized, maybe because a few other carmakers (such as Mazda) have adopted that look. In profile, the TL is most attractive, with a chiseled, BMW-ish crease running along the body and pronounced wheel arches that give this 3,500-pound sedan a taut, muscular persona. The side marker lights are cleverly incorporated into the body side character line, and the rear of the car features angular exhaust outlets that emphasize the power under the hood.

Inside the spacious cabin, high-quality fit and finish abound. Everything is tightly assembled and the various textures and materials are pleasing to the eye and fingertips alike. Indicative of the TL's sporting intentions is the hefty side bolstering on the front seats; lateral support even extends up to the shoulder area. None of our staff had any complaints about front-seat comfort, and the backseat offered plenty of legroom and an ideal seat back angle for a pair of adults. Although the rear seat doesn't fold down, there is a pass-through that will allow long items, such as skis, to be transported inside the car.

Taking center stage, literally and figuratively, on our TL was the (mostly) user-friendly navigation system. With a big eight-inch screen, intuitive controls and more than seven million points of interest in its database, it took no time at all for us to indulge our penchant for the Olive Garden. But the system still had a few quirks; when we did a search earlier in the day for Quizno's, it pulled up branches that were a few thousand miles away, as opposed to just showing us the ones in close proximity.

The climate control is also simple to operate, with its various buttons arranged along the left side of the nav screen. There is a display at the top of the center stack (essentially at eye level) that shows climate and audio settings as well as the time. Seems like a good idea, right? But like the similar setup in the Mazda 6, it's a case of too much information for one to read at a glance. We'd suggest putting the clock elsewhere so that there is more space between the climate and audio readouts. Making this gripe almost a nonissue is the fact that the climate and audio functions (in greater detail, to boot) can be displayed in the nav screen. And we all felt that the actual performance of the audio system was incredible, as you'll discover in our stereo review.

On paper, the TL's 3.2-liter V6 is very impressive: 11-to-1 compression ratio, variable valve timing and intake system, 270 horsepower and 238 pound-feet of torque. Compared to last year's standard TL, these are increases of 45 horsepower and 22 lb-ft. And its 10 horses and 6 lb-ft over last year's performance-oriented Type-S. And in practice, it works pretty darn well, too. The engine is a model of refinement; even when taken to redline there is no discernable increase in vibration, and the power is generous, fluid and linear…once you're moving, that is.

Taking off from a stop was sometimes a challenge, even for our most seasoned car jockeys. In spite of the V6's generally muscle-bound nature, there's not much torque at low rpm, so when you pull away you have to give it more gas than you'd think, making for somewhat jerky starts until you acclimate. Once you're rolling, it moves out cleanly and the party really gets going when the tach needle swings past 2,500 rpm, as a wave of power sends the TL down the road in a hurry. Gear changing is what we'd expect of an Acura (or Honda, for that matter) manual transmission, meaning smooth and precise, with a satisfying heft and "click-click" action from gear to gear. When put to the test at the track, the TL ran to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds and posted a sub-15-second (14.96) quarter-mile. Against EPA mileage ratings of 20 mpg city and 30 mpg highway, our team of leadfoots averaged 21 mpg in mixed driving.

As the six-speed TL is fitted with Brembo brakes (with four-piston calipers) up front as standard issue, we expected our TL to stop as well as it goes. During everyday driving, the brakes, although squeaky at times, felt progressive and reassuringly strong. And at the track, a trio of stopping distances (from 60 mph) of less than 116 feet confirmed our initial positive impressions of the TL's binders.

The TL comes with an independent, double-wishbone suspension all 'round, anti-roll bars fore and aft (with slightly thicker bars on manual-shift models) and four-channel Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA, a stability control system). The improved VSA has the ability to modulate the throttle and all four brakes (as opposed to last year's system that modulated the throttle and just the front brakes), making for smoother control when the system kicks in to help save the driver's butt. Five-spoke, 17-inch alloys are standard as well, and come wrapped in 235/45 all-season Bridgestone Turanzas. Our car had the optional "summer" tires, meaning high-performance rubber that's geared toward dry pavement use only. We found these Bridgestone Potenzas grippy and, combined with the solid chassis and precise steering, they allowed the TL to weave through the 600-foot slalom in a very quick 6.1 seconds — an average speed of 67.5 mph. This makes the TL one of the fastest cars we've ever taken through the cones; the fact that Acura can attain this with a front-drive platform makes this feat doubly impressive. Ride comfort is right there, too, firm and controlled.

Should this not be enough performance, Acura offers TL zealots the dealer-installed A-Spec package. Priced at $5,200, plus installation (around $700), the A-Spec kit includes track-tuned shocks and springs, lightweight 18-inch alloy wheels shod with 235/40VR18 Yokohamas (that were designed specifically for the A-Spec), an aero kit that includes subtle side skirting and a choice of rear spoiler (either a small lip or a wing-style) and a special steering wheel. Automatic A-Spec cars also get high-performance brake pads to help make up for the fact that they don't get the Brembo front brakes like the six-speed TLs do (due to packaging constraints).

In addition to our week with the standard TL, we also got in a few hours behind the wheel of an A-Spec, which included track time. In everyday driving, the A-Spec version rides more firmly than the standard TL, though it's certainly not harsh and feels a bit more buttoned down in the corners. But honestly, it's only when you really push it, like we were able to on the Streets of Willow racetrack in Rosamond, Calif., that the benefits of the A-Spec package are realized. Cornering is even flatter, and the car reacts more sharply to steering inputs. But like other TLs, when you really lay into it coming out of a corner the V6's brawny output makes itself known in the form of torque steer, as the limited-slip differential tries its best to manage the 270 horses let loose through the front wheels.

In short, we think the standard TL will be more than enough for most folks, but applaud Acura for providing the option of a comprehensive performance upgrade that offers the benefit of matched components along with coverage under the TL's standard 4-year/50,000-mile warranty.

In our last entry-level luxury/sport sedan comparison test, the previous-generation TL finished a commendable second, bested by the perennial benchmark, BMW's 3 Series. We compared the value-packed Acura to an Olympic decathlete — good at nearly everything, though maybe not the best at any one thing. The few shortcomings that the last TL did have were effectively addressed for 2004, as the new model offers higher-quality materials and more luxury features in the cabin, along with more performance (that includes the availability of a six-speed manual gearbox) in the chassis. With a price tag that virtually mirrors that of last year's Type-S, we don't see how Acura could miss with the superior 2004 TL.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Acura TL Stereo Evaluation

Full Test: 2004 Acura TL
Stereo Evaluation

By Edmunds.com Editors
Date posted: 01-20-2004

System Score: 9.0

Components: The TL comes standard with a rather unconventional 225-watt audio system. The system includes an AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio tuner; an in-dash, six-disc CD changer; a cassette deck; and eight speakers, including a subwoofer behind the rear seat and a pair of tweeters mounted on the top corners of the dash. It also includes an industry first — DVD-Audio capability with six-channel sound. Developed by Panasonic in concert with Elliot Scheiner, a Grammy-winning music producer who has worked with Sting, Queen and the Eagles, this system draws upon DVD-A technology to deliver sound resolution said to be 500 times greater than that of a conventional CD system. Controls are tried and true: two large knobs on either end of the faceplate for volume and tuning, six medium-size dual-function buttons for radio station presets and tape deck/CD changer operation and smaller, round buttons for functions such as seek and scan.

Performance: Acura offers the first true 5.1 surround sound system to be obtainable as factory equipment in a production vehicle. Though its 225 watts and eight speakers might sound ordinary by today's standards, the fact that it can play sound through six separate channels is not. Most "Premium" systems funnel the tunes through just two channels. With the TL's system, the sound is more lifelike, as instruments and vocals have more separation thanks to the six-channel capability.

But in order to enjoy the new technology, you need to feed DVD-Audio discs into the in-dash changer. DVD-A discs can hold a lot more than a CD, allowing them to house the six-channel recordings that provide higher-resolution sound. When we popped in the DVD-A version of REM's Automatic for the People, we felt as if Michael Stipe was warbling to us from the right rear passenger's seat; it was almost surreal. Although DVD-A discs are becoming more widely available, those with expansive CD libraries will be heartened to know that regular CDs also sound great in this system. The stereo does not accommodate MP3s, because Acura and Panasonic felt that these recordings don't offer high enough sound quality to be worthy of this superior system.

Beyond DVD-A technology, the TL also comes standard with XM Satellite Radio, which requires a nominal monthly subscription fee but provides the listener with 100 channels of mostly commercial-free stations that offer coast-to-coast reception and many themes, such as 1950s or hip-hop, to choose from. Satellite radio is one of those things that, once you've experienced it, you find hard to live without. Being able to listen to '60s, '70s or '80s music, virtually without commercial interruptions, kept this channel-surfer happy.

In terms of overall sound quality, we really had no complaints. Highs were crisp without being tinny, mids were full and warm and the bass was thumping yet tight. When playing classical scores, strings sounded vibrant, and when playing U2's Achtung Baby, the heavy riffs of "Until the End of the World" came through as the Edge intended. Even at high-school level volume, distortion was notably absent, making this one of the cleanest systems we've experienced.

One rather small annoyance was the time it took for the system to "boot up." Oftentimes, we could actually count "one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand" before it kicked on and sound poured out of the speakers.

Best Feature: DVD-A capability with six-channel sound.

Worst Feature: Annoying delay after switching system on.

Conclusion: With its combination of lifelike six-channel surround sound, user-friendly controls and standard XM Satellite Radio, it's no wonder this system made it on our "Top 10 Sound Systems" list. — John DiPietro
Old 01-31-2004, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Edmund's Specifications & Performance

2004 Acura TL Sedan
http://edmunds.nytimes.com/new/2004/...alpage=page001

Vehicle Type: Model Year: 2004
Make: Acura
Model: TL
Style: Sedan
Base Price: $35,395
Price as Tested: $35,395
Drive Type: Front-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Six-speed manual
Displacement (liters): 3.2
Engine Type: V6
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 270 @ 6,200
Torque (ft-lb @ rpm): 238 @ 5,000
Braking System: Power-assisted four-wheel disc
Steering System: Variable power-assisted rack-and-pinion
Suspension Type (front): Independent double-wishbone, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Independent multi-link, double-wishbone, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): P235/45R17
Tire Size (rear): P235/45R17
Tire Brand: Bridgestone
Tire Model: Potenza
Curb Weight (lbs.): 3,489
Recommended Fuel: Premium unleaded
Fuel Tank Capacity (gal): 17
EPA Fuel Economy (mpg): 19 City 28 Highway
Edmunds Observed (mpg): 21

Conditions for Testing: Temperature (Fahrenheit): N/A
Humidity: N/A
Elevation (ft): 85
Wind: N/A

Performance:
0 - 30 (sec): 2.7
0 - 45 (sec): 4.5
0 - 60 (sec): 6.5
0 - 75 (sec): 9.5
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 14.96 @ 90.71
30 - 0 (ft): 28.46
60 - 0 (ft): 115.96
Braking Rating: (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor) Excellent
Slalom (mph): 67.5
Turning Circle (ft), curb-to-curb: 39.7
Handling Rating: (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor) Excellent
Db @ Idle: Below 50
Db @ Full Throttle: 72
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 74

Acceleration Comments: The TL's engine is somewhat schizophrenic in that it has essentially no torque below 2,000, and more torque than you want above 2,000. Launching the vehicle was a real challenge as a result; too little throttle and the engine almost dies, too much and it smokes the front tires all the way through first gear and well into second. The best technique was to bring the revs up to 4,000 rpm, modulate the clutch and throttle until the vehicle was well underway (about 10 mph) and then judiciously roll into the throttle (do it too quickly and the front tires would still break loose). The redline was indicated at 6,800 rpm and the rev limiter came in hard right at 7,000. Acura's traction and stability control system was, of course, disabled to get the best times due to its intrusive nature. The six-speed manual transmission is a sweetheart, and one of the best you will find at any price.

Braking Comments: A substantial amount of ABS noise and pedal vibration was evident during maximum braking, but it's hard to argue with three stops all coming in between 115 and 116 feet. There was a slight pull to the right on the final stop, and noticeable front-end dive was evident. However, the numbers, and lack of brake fade, speak for themselves, and with these numbers we're willing to forgive and forget almost anything.

Handling Comments: The TL feels extremely confident on the street, but it took several runs through our slalom to confirm its status as one of the best-handling front-wheel drivers we've sampled. The steering is properly weighted and offers stellar feedback. The engine's broad torque range and progressive throttle response made powering through the slalom easy, and the smart chassis/suspension tuning allowed us to place the car easily between cones. Technically, it may not be as "fun" as a BMW 3 Series, but it obviously goes through the slalom just as rapidly. — Karl Brauer

Specifications: Length: 186.2
Width: 72.2
Height: 56.7
Wheelbase: 107.9
Legroom (front): 42.8
Legroom (rear): 34.9
Headroom (front): 38.7
Headroom (rear): 37.2
Maximum Seating Capacity: 5
Cargo Volume: 12.3
Maximum Cargo Volume (rear seats down): N/A

Warranty Information: Bumper-to-Bumper: 4 years/50,000 miles
Power Train: 4 years/50,000 miles
Corrosion: 5 years/Unlimited miles
Roadside Assistance: 4 years/50,000 miles
Scheduled Maintenance: Not available

Safety Information: Front Airbags: Standard
Side Airbags: Standard
Head Airbags: Standard
Antilock Brakes: Standard
Electronic Brake Enhancements: Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, BrakeAssist
Traction Control: Standard
Stability Control: Standard
Rollover Protection: Not available
Emergency Assistance System: Not available
NHTSA Crash Test Driver: Not tested
NHTSA Crash Test Passenger: Not tested
NHTSA Crash Test Side Front: Not tested
NHTSA Crash Test Side Rear: Not tested
NHTSA Rollover: Not tested
IIHS Offset: Not tested
Old 01-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

Just got back from the auto show, so had a chance to compare the new 5 with the TL. Hands down imo the TL has a nicer interior, BMW's have gone downhill since last years auto show. I tried using i-drive in the 5 and it was a hassle, would definately need a study session. Many menus and difficult to move through, impossible while driving. The dash had this silver strip across it which looked really cheap. Just was not happy with this car at all. The 7 series also had the cheap looking plastic trim across the center of the dash, and as trim pieces, not good at all. Theres no way I would even consider either after sitting inside. VW and Audi were way beyond BMW imo and still a tad bit ahead of Acura in the details, but they were very close.

Got in the TL, nothing stuck out as cheap, except when I was in the back seat the metal strips on both sides of the nav looked a little plasticky. The 1 real problem was the car felt small inside, didn't really feel much bigger than the TSX. I'm 6'4, so with me in the front seat this isn't going to be a great traveling car where the new Maxima had some nice room, I can see the appeal of that car. Everthing else in the TL would put it near the top of the list, awd would have been a nice option. The accord ex/nav was really nice inside also, if that car had sharp exterior styling and a 6-speed I would haved considered that over the TL. The rsx doesn't even look like an Acura inside anymore compared to the TSX, TL, and RL. Very outdated.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:49 PM
TQ > MPG

The 1 real problem was the car felt small inside, didn't really feel much bigger than the TSX.

I agree, but thats becasue the TSX is not a small car. The TL is a bit wider & a bit longer, but its hard to tell.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:21 PM
hail to the victors

great great review!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Car and Driver had a $35k Sport Sedan Test ... Must have manual tranny to be in the test:

1. G35
2. 325i
3. TL
4. IS300
5. A4 3.0
6. Saab 9-3 Arc
7. Jaguar 3.0

Acura TL:

Highs: Awesome engine, roomy interior, great seats
Lows: Fights back at the wheel, pogoing chassis at high speed
The Verdict: Should be a rear-wheel drive car
Old 01-31-2004, 10:42 PM
Safety Car

Why should it be RWD, so a bunch a kids can drive it like they stole it? Roomy my ass, the A8L is roomy.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
mwhahaha 325 beat the TL

IBsomeoneSaysTheyWereBought
Old 01-31-2004, 11:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by charliemike

Lows: Fights back at the wheel
The Verdict: Should be a rear-wheel drive car

Thats why it should be RWD. Torque steer has no buisness being in this segment. IMO
Old 01-31-2004, 11:45 PM
Suzuka Master

:shakehd: :shakehd: :shakehd:

TSX >> 325.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Theres really nothing wrong with the 325, i knoew lots of people who own them and they are great cars. The torque on them helps the lack of HP. Its wont do 14s or anything though
Old 02-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Certified Lurker

Good review, but the 0-60 numbers are incredibly high, 6.5??? should be around 6 flat.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News