Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Myrddin157
Bluetooth phones are becoming more and more common. In fact, I have a bluetooth phone that will work with the new TL. It works fine and was not expensive ($30 or so from AT&T)
It is the Sony Ericsson T68. Nokia also has some phone with bluetooth.
Also existing phones that are not blue tooth can be made bluetooth by using the wired headset jack and the blue tooth adapter.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Therm
Also existing phones that are not blue tooth can be made bluetooth by using the wired headset jack and the blue tooth adapter.
Well I dont know..

Theres a Jabra Headset that comes with a adapter, but the adapter makes it so the phone can communicate with the headset, I wonder if the adapter would communicate with the TL though..
Old 08-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by Myrddin157
Bluetooth phones are becoming more and more common. In fact, I have a bluetooth phone that will work with the new TL. It works fine and was not expensive ($30 or so from AT&T)
It is the Sony Ericsson T68. Nokia also has some phone with bluetooth.
Neither Sprint or Verizon offer Bluetooth phones. Supposedly they will be offering it soon. I believe Sprint before Verizon. I really don't want to switch to AT&T Wireless because the service sucks in my area.

I will definitely be looking at who has a Bluetooth phone available when I get the car. This will be a very nice feature. I wonder if it will offer any additional functionality besides phone interface. It would be nice to access information from my PDA.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

There are quite a few Bluetooth phones out there including the Ericcson T68 and the Nokia 3650 camera phone.

You guys aren't looking hard enough.

Nokia will also be launching the 6600 at the end of the year. I am waiting for that phone.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.bluetooth.com/tech/produc...AT=ALL&CAT2=24
Old 08-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Silly question, but what if you are parked next to another TL. Will you're cellphone signals get scrambled and come out of the speakers of the other car?

Old 08-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Probably not, you have to authenticate (accept) your phone into the network.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
There are quite a few Bluetooth phones out there including the Ericcson T68 and the Nokia 3650 camera phone.

You guys aren't looking hard enough.

Nokia will also be launching the 6600 at the end of the year. I am waiting for that phone.
Nothing available from Verizon and Sprint, however. For some reason CDMA carriers are behind in their Bluetooth phone offerings. GSM Network operators like AT&T, Cingular & T-Mobile all have a Bluetooth offering.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Race Director

You guys kidding me, there are tons and tons of Bluetooth phones and you can buy new models on eBay and just switch the gsm card..
Old 08-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I believe you can get the Ericcson T68 for Sprint.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:50 PM
Race Director

Um no, T68 is a GSM Phone, and Sprint is CDMA, so the T68 is not for Sprint or Verizon..
Old 08-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Uhh, maybe Acura will sell there own line of Bluetooth phones....I highly doubt it but a thought!!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:22 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Worse case scenario, I'll switch my service to a carrier that offers a Bluetooth phone. The number portability rule goes into effect in November, so I will be able to take my current mobile number to a new carrier.

Old 08-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Advanced

I doubt its bluetooth only, even with the TSX you can get a handsfree phone adaptor for a variety of different phones. It just won't be wireless.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Intermediate

bluetooth phone

I got a nokia 3650 from at&t...there is a 'pairing' process whereby you register devices--- it is very simple but it prevents the obvious problem of peoples devices getting confused. Also there is an order of priority in the case that you have multiple phones paired with a single car and they are present.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Advanced

TL MINI SITE on Sept 1

i'm assuming Justins dates are still on... (they've been so far)

September

Week of Sept 1-TL mini site live on acura.com
Week of Sept 10-TL Ride and Drive begins
Week of Sept 15-TL brochure(Initial delivery)

can't wait for the mini site to be ready.. hopefully we get some more specs..

-jjstokes
Old 08-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Justin said the site would be up Sept. 4, but just in case they upload it early:

http://www.acura.com/promo/tl/minisite/tl_landing.asp
Old 09-01-2003, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Hey Guys,

I was seaching around on Amazon for their collection of DVD-Audio CD's. (Hey, I got to be prepared for the test drive!) Anyway, they have a nice little page that has all their DVD-A offerings bundled together:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...184083-1523023
Old 09-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice link.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Racer

I may have missed it, but according to the Acura press release, the bluetooth capabilty uses the voice recognition in the Acura. I thought the voice recognition was part of the Navi. Does this mean you need the Navi to get the bluetooth capability? On the other hand, could microphones used in the Navi be installed on all cars so that the bluetooth capabilty exists with or without the Navi?

On order 04 TL Abyss/quartz 6MT
Old 09-02-2003, 06:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Good question. Perhaps, the Bluetooth will not include voice reco if you do not have Navi.

It comes with all models.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Angry ACURA mini-page

i'm trying to LOG-IN in the ACURA mini-page tha's up already for 04' TL but it' not working ?? maybe it's my computer ???

you guys can try and let me know if it works..........
Old 09-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

Re: TL MINI SITE on Sept 1

Originally posted by jjstokes
i'm assuming Justins dates are still on... (they've been so far)

September

Week of Sept 1-TL mini site live on acura.com
Week of Sept 10-TL Ride and Drive begins
Week of Sept 15-TL brochure(Initial delivery)

can't wait for the mini site to be ready.. hopefully we get some more specs..

-jjstokes

did i missed something here ? "Week of Sept 1-TL mini site live on acura.com"
was it supossed to work only that day?? because it's not working know !
Old 09-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Cruisin'

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm up on the 2004 TL mini-site right now. It was right off the Acura home page. It does use flash, so your system may be choking on that.

Kevin
Old 09-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

mini-site

Originally posted by kevindick
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm up on the 2004 TL mini-site right now. It was right off the Acura home page. It does use flash, so your system may be choking on that.

Kevin

thanks Kevin (first time-long time)

I do have Flash installed , oh well i'll keep trying ,
I need a new car and a new computer !! :'( :'(

deposit on 04' TL SM/5AT w/Navi
Old 09-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

I originally accessed it using IE6 with Flash6. I just tried it with Navigator6 and Flash6, but that doesn't work. Strange behavior actually, like Navigator doesn't know how to spawn a Flash child window. So if you're not using IE, you might want to try with that.

Kevin
Old 09-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Advanced

The link from Netscape running on LINUX is the 2004 TL site. From Explorer running on Windows 2000 the link is still the Concept site.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

Hah, I figured it out. I have Netscape set to suppress popup windows and IE set to allow them. So if you have configured your browser or other program to filter popups, that could be the problem.

Kevin
Old 09-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by kevindick
Hah, I figured it out. I have Netscape set to suppress popup windows and IE set to allow them. So if you have configured your browser or other program to filter popups, that could be the problem.

Kevin
TALK TO ME IN ENGLISH PEOPLE !!!!!

i'm using IE-6, i will try to configure the pop-ups, to see if i have better luck
Old 09-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Hello... Newbie here.

Are you guys getting this message too?

FILE NOT FOUND

Sorry, we were unable to find the page you requested.

The page may have moved, changed or no longer exists. You can return to the home page at:

http://www.acura.com
Old 09-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Oh never mind.... It works when I entered from the main site...
Old 09-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Advanced

nope..don't see any thing regarding 2004 tl.....on the acura home site ><
Old 09-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Pro

OK, now I know why there is that ugly under bumper air deflector in the front, the car is a bottom breather like the GM's that had that thing.

Quote from hondanews.com:

"An under-bumper cooling air system makes this new look possible because most of the cooling air is drawn in beneath the front fascia."
Old 09-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Acura: TL news

http://www.acura.com/index.asp

pretty impressive.
3D Solar Sensor to auto adjust the dual climate control.
Hope they get the bigger Sun roof like Maxima.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

The sunroof is bigger. This is from Hondanews.com:

POWER GLASS MOONROOF
The 2004 TL has the largest moonroof Acura has ever developed. It lends a tremendous open feeling to the car, and features the convenience of new 1-touch opening and closing, and a new anti-pinch safety feature, the first for an Acura moonroof.

At 30.7 inches, the moonroof is wider than the previous TL moonroof. In addition, the larger moonroof also opens deeper than that of the previous TL. The overhang of the edge into the opening is reduced to 1.6 inches from 4.4 inches in the previous TL. The moonroof itself is virtually flush, reducing the chance of wind noise. There is also a special flush type seal that promotes quietness.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Globe and Mail Review - Acura TL (September 4th, 2003)

http://www.globeandmail.com/globemeg...903/Acura.html
*Copied from the Globe and Mail, a Toronto-based and well-respected Canadian news source. September 4th, 2003*

Refining the Acura signature
TL sedan crosses all the right sporting letters

By Joe Knycha
Thursday, September 4, 2003

SEATTLE, Wash. - As "the signature of Acura," the third-generation TL represents something of a masterstroke in the luxury sport sedan segment.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the new TL doesn't just promise the goods - it delivers them in an aggressively styled, finely balanced and luxurious package.

The new TL is slightly larger inside and out with higher feature content, yet depending on the model weighs only marginally more or substantially less than the second-generation 3.2 TL it replaces.

The standard V6 engine makes more power and burns cleaner than the powerplant it succeeds, yet delivers identical fuel economy when mated to the 5-speed sequential 'manumatic' transmission. For the first time, one TL trim level will feature a 6-speed manual shifter, adapted from the now defunct CL model - a welcome development.

The TL is the first Acura product in Canada to debut with an available satellite navigation system with voice recognition that acts on 180 verbal commands and responds to both English and "Canadian-specific" French. Other new technologies include hands-free wireless-linked telephone calling and the first North American automotive application of a DVD-based audio surround sound system.

Not-so-new, but important other technologies, include a 3-channel anti-lock braking system, 4-channel brake assist and electronic brake force distribution, which modulates individual braking power to ensure maximum braking force over uneven and variable-traction surfaces, plus traction and electronic stability control.

There's a lot here for the money beyond the standard lengthy list of bells and whistles. Prices have yet to be announced, but the TL is expected to start in the low-$40,000 range when it hits Acura showrooms across Canada in mid-October. There will be three trim levels: TL, Navi (for Navigation) and Dynamic, with a 6-speed manual shifter, higher-performing brakes, beefier anti-roll bars front and rear and dedicated summer high-performance tires.

The new TL is decidedly a driver's car. As good as the previous 3.2 TL Type S was, this TL is better in almost every respect, and its handling is on a higher plane altogether.

There was no opportunity during our road test for 10/10ths driving, as on a racetrack, but in spirited driving through numerous twisty bits in the Puget Sound area, the TL exhibited fine balance and none of the understeer often associated with front-wheel drive vehicles.

Acura says the TL is comparable to the BMW 5 Series, Audi A6 and Mercedes-Benz E-Class in areas of performance, technology, engineering and ride and handling. Without the benefit of having those vehicles to compare back-to-back with the TL, first impressions were highly favourable.

The TL is both smooth and quick, and has a higher top end than most people will ever care to explore. The 3.2-litre V6 engine pulls strongly, even from low in its range. When revs reach 4,700 rpm, the advanced '3-rocker' VTEC variable valve timing and lift system switches to an aggressive set of cam lobes to provide a turbo-like kick or boost from there to the 6,800 rpm limit. The system allows each of a given cylinder's intake valves to be controlled by its own low-speed cam lobe. With different low-speed cam profiles for each intake valve, the 3-rocker VTEC allows for staggered valve opening and lift, promoting 'swirl' in the combustion chambers, thus improving efficiency.

At 4,700 rpm, an electric spool valve opens to route pressurized oil to small pistons in the intake valve rocker arms, which lock together the three intake rockers in a given cylinder that then follow a single high-lift, long duration cam lobe. In a nutshell, that translates into a broader torque curve and significant peak power.

It sounds great too, through the tuned dual exhaust pipes around which the lower rear valance wraps for a dramatic and purposeful effect - it complements perfectly the TL's edgy, wedge design.

There's generous room in the back seat for two fully-grown adults and at 354 litres, the trunk is only moderately large. Careful attention to its shape and layout, however, allow it to carry two extra-large and two medium-sized hard suitcases or clubs and duffel bags for four golfers.

Brakes are front ventilated and rear solid discs. Front discs on the racy Dynamic package are slightly larger (by 10 mm) and are equipped with Formula 1-inspired Brembo calipers sporting two pistons each.

Beyond the many active safety features, passive safety efforts include three airbag systems: dual-stage, dual threshold front airbags, side (door) airbags for front seat occupants and a full cabin-length side curtain airbag system that deploys from the roof. In addition to the side curtain bags, a side airbag in each front outboard seat bolster provides added protection to the thorax in a side impact.

Like a fine writing instrument, the new Acura TL is possessed of balance, beauty and craftsmanship. It cuts a fine line through the curves, swirls and loops of everyday driving with flair and poise and - with the possible exception of the NSX supercar - is beyond a doubt Acura's boldest signature statement yet.

Immediate competition:
Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Infiniti G35, Lexus IS 300, Mercedes E-Class

The Verdict
*** Cabin Comfort (touch/feel/ergonomics)
*** Safety (ABS/airbags/stability aids)
*** Performance (engine/trans/acceleration)
**** Ride & Handling (steering/brakes/suspension)
**** Value for Money
Rating *-Needs Improvement **- Average ***- Above Average ****-Excellent *****-Almost Perfect.

J.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear

There will be three trim levels: TL, Navi (for Navigation) and Dynamic
Hmmm....this mean we finally get navi in canada?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:52 PM
Advanced

Re: Globe and Mail Review - Acura TL (September 4th, 2003)

Originally posted by bowersan
[Prices have yet to be announced, but the TL is expected to start in the low-$40,000 range when it hits Acura showrooms across Canada in mid-October.

HOLY! That's canadian right???????
Old 09-04-2003, 06:47 PM
More On

I gotta say that this review SEEMS to dispel all the doubts that I and some others expressed on the Edmunds thread. Again, they didn't have much opportunity with the car, but it seems like they had enough to know what they're talking about.

I say "SEEMS" because -- notice, they don't have it straight about some of the basic facts of the car: They didn't get it about the "trim levels":

There will be three trim levels: TL, Navi (for Navigation) and Dynamic, with a 6-speed manual shifter, higher-performing brakes, beefier anti-roll bars front and rear and dedicated summer high-performance tires.

That's sort of partly right, but really it's wrong.

So what? Well, when they make a mistake like this, it just makes me wonder how much they really know what they're doing and what they're talking about, in general.

But, assuming they're better at judging a car than they are at getting facts straight, this would be an extremely encouraging opinion about the car.

BTW -- Unless I'm missing something, they don't say anything at all about "ride."
Old 09-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by melameedo
Hmmm....this mean we finally get navi in canada?
Yes, with voice control en francais if you wish.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News