Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 12:03 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jack Bauer
I just noticed on image #32 (under Safety Features), it lists "Door mirrors with integrated directional signals" as a standard feature. I don't remember seeing that mentioned anywhere beforea and I don't recall seeing it on any of the pictures posted so far. Am I wrong?
Very cool! Between this feature and the LED marker, we don't have to feel slighted because TSX owners have turn signals integrated into the mirrors.

Thanks Acura!
Old 09-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Has anybody seen anything mentioned about "approach lighting" (lighting below the mirror that lights the area around the door when you unlock the doors with the keyfob)?
I haven't seen anything about this anywhere. I think it's called perimeter lighthing.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 2004TL
Desi Bhai, Itna Ghussa Q?

BTW He is not only a member of A-TSX
They are always complaining, I only posted 3 times to try to get maddtl to post his pics. But that one thread about things people do not like about the 04 really gets me pissed. Anyways, this site IS awesome.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if it's the type that's actually behind the mirror surface, as opposed to being integrated in the mirror housing. That might explain why nobody has seen it. Anybody at the R&D care to weigh in on this?
Yeah, I agree with you. I think some of the ford SUVs have those red LED turn signals on the mirror itself (so it is facing the driver) I guess now someone in your blindspot can see if you are going to turn and someone on your side can see (because of that other turn signal on the character line). The LED ones on the Ford look better than the ones on the TSX because they do not stand out as much IMO.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Advanced

I'm a little suspect about this. Why hasn't anybody who has driven or even sat in the car mentioned this yet? It's a pleasant surprise but I'd like to see a picture of this. I think the arrows on the Fords are a little TOO big.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Instructor

I'm a little suspect about this. Why hasn't anybody who has driven or even sat in the car mentioned this yet? It's a pleasant surprise but I'd like to see a picture of this. I think the arrows on the Fords are a little TOO big.
I dont even know why we need turn signals anymore....heck nobody uses them?? Pisses me off too. Behind someone and all of a sudden hard brakes and casually takes a left or right turn...bastards! Might as well make turn signals and ashtrays optional...ok Im done venting

But yes I do use mine all the time and I think its a nice feature to have them in the mirrors!
Old 09-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Race Director

So there is side markers and indicators on the mirrors, and indicators in the tail and headlights?

Isn't that a bit overkill, I admit it makes it more safe, but just to turn you light up the whole road

But I am surprised and happy with this feature nonetheless
Old 09-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Race Director

Has anybody seen anything mentioned about "approach lighting" (lighting below the mirror that lights the area around the door when you unlock the doors with the keyfob)?

Isn't that sort of like a courtesy light to open the door,
At first I thought you said it is on the 04TL, I got so excited, I doubt it would be on the TL
Old 09-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Booyah
I dont even know why we need turn signals anymore....heck nobody uses them?? Pisses me off too. Behind someone and all of a sudden hard brakes and casually takes a left or right turn...bastards! Might as well make turn signals and ashtrays optional...ok Im done venting

But yes I do use mine all the time and I think its a nice feature to have them in the mirrors!

From what I see on the road, the turn signals are only optional on the BMW, cuz those drivers don't seem to use them.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by elbodude
From what I see on the road, the turn signals are only optional on the BMW, cuz those drivers don't seem to use them.
LOL Good one
Old 09-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

So there is side markers and indicators on the mirrors, and indicators in the tail and headlights?

Isn't that a bit overkill, I admit it makes it more safe, but just to turn you light up the whole road

But I am surprised and happy with this feature nonetheless
I would trade all the side markers and mirror indicators for cornering lamps!

Cornering lamps rock!
Old 09-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
I would trade all the side markers and mirror indicators for cornering lamps!

Cornering lamps rock!
What exactly are corniering lamps?
Old 09-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

What exactly are corniering lamps?
If your dad still has the '94 Maxima, go outside, turn on the headlights, then put on either the left or right turn signal and you will see a nice 50 or so watt bulb light up that side of the road.

Sweet feature!
Old 09-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah, on a ford windstar
Old 09-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
If your dad still has the '94 Maxima, go outside, turn on the headlights, then put on either the left or right turn signal and you will see a nice 50 or so watt bulb light up that side of the road.

Sweet feature!
At first that is what I thought u were thinking of, but than I thought, what a OLD OLD Technology..

Why would u want that?

Whats so cool about it.. They are usually Orangish which I dont like, and I would rather have sidemarkers and mirror indicators..

They used to have those on old cars, I remember old Avalons used to have it, than they got Fogs..
Old 09-21-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro

At first that is what I thought u were thinking of, but than I thought, what a OLD OLD Technology..

Why would u want that?

Whats so cool about it.. They are usually Orangish which I dont like, and I would rather have sidemarkers and mirror indicators..

They used to have those on old cars, I remember old Avalons used to have it, than they got Fogs..
Well, owning a 96 maxima, I have to agree with Emmu, they do work quite well, and getting into anouther car, I do miss the lighting they provide when making a turn (not so much when chaning lanes or navigating a turn), they do help light up obsticles, and people on the side of the road.

They are very old tech, usually found on luxury cars, such as old Lincolns and Caddy's

I do think that addaptive headlights can be helpful, but unlike the cornering light, the addaptive headlights help when chaning lanes or navigating a turn. When driving tonight on some twisties in a car with HID/Xenons, I did get some dark areas not lit by the lights, so I could see when driving hard at night, it would help. Too bad the TL does not get those.

Not sure the addaptive brake lights on the BMW's help, as it requires the driver behind the Bimmer to know what the different effect is (in the 3 series, it gets brighter, in the 7 series, a different portion of the light illuminates, which may look normal to a driver not familure with the operation, like us here on the other side of the pond)

Anyway, my 2 cents!
Old 09-21-2003, 11:49 PM
Race Director

Heres better pictures of the brochure, All in one piece and all the pics are on one page, so easier to see

http://home.earthlink.net/~/04tl/
Old 09-21-2003, 11:51 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by need4spd
Not sure the addaptive brake lights on the BMW's help, as it requires the driver behind the Bimmer to know what the different effect is (in the 3 series, it gets brighter, in the 7 series, a different portion of the light illuminates, which may look normal to a driver not familure with the operation, like us here on the other side of the pond)

Anyway, my 2 cents!

WOW BMW has those brake lights?

Do all the current BMWS have that?

That is a really good safety feature and should become standard, so you know when someone hard braking or not so you dont get into a accident
Old 09-22-2003, 12:00 AM
Race Director

For a directory listing,

http://home.earthlink.net/~/04tl/pics/
Old 09-22-2003, 12:15 AM
More On

Heres better pictures of the brochure, All in one piece and all the pics are on one page, so easier to see

http://home.earthlink.net/~/04tl/
Hey, 04 -- Neither this link nor your next one works, at least for me ("Page Not Found") :'(
Old 09-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Race Director

Sorry Add A_Curaworld after ~

And take the Underscore out ( _ )
Old 09-22-2003, 12:34 AM
More On

Still didn't work.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro

WOW BMW has those brake lights?

Do all the current BMWS have that?

That is a really good safety feature and should become standard, so you know when someone hard braking or not so you dont get into a accident
Yes, now that the 04 5 Series has been introduced, I think all BMW's have it (not sure if the redesigned for 04 X5 has it or not though, but I think I read that it does).

NYC tested a similar system on Buses, but found that it just confused drivers behind them (used a flashing light that changed speed to show braking rate).

I at one time (about 15-20yrs ago) had thought of this, that is to increase flashing rate of the brake lights to show rapid deceleration vs just a tap on the brakes, never patented it, but should have.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro

Sorry Add A_Curaworld after ~

And take the Underscore out ( _ )
Still does not work, can you type the full address?

Thanks,
Old 09-22-2003, 12:43 AM
Race Director

http://home.earthlink.net/~a*curaworld/04tl/

Take the * out of ACURAW0RLD , its cuz ACURAW0RLD is censored, It is also censored at A-TL..
Old 09-22-2003, 12:58 AM
More On

Thanks, that finally did it!!!

BTW: I still can't tell for sure whether the car has POWER-RETRACTABLE SIDE MIRRORS.

I don't find any mention -- So I assume NOT??
Old 09-22-2003, 12:58 AM
Race Director

power retractable?

u mean power mirrors?

no it doesn't, u mean when they fold in and out?
Old 09-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by larchmont
Thanks, that finally did it!!!

BTW: I still can't tell for sure whether the car has POWER-RETRACTABLE SIDE MIRRORS.

I don't find any mention -- So I assume NOT??
It does not. However the side mirrors will automatically point downward when you're in reverse (so you can see where the curb is when parking etc). This is a personalizable setting, so you can turn it on or off, and have that setting paired to one of the remote control keys.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:05 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by 2k4tl
It does not. However the side mirrors will automatically point downward when you're in reverse (so you can see where the curb is when parking etc). This is a personalizable setting, so you can turn it on or off, and have that setting paired to one of the remote control keys.
Ya thats a old feature from the previous GEN, Larch would know about this as he has owned one
Old 09-22-2003, 01:10 AM
More On

Ya thats a old feature from the previous GEN, Larch would know about this as he has owned one
Actually, if my '03 had it (power-retractable side mirrors), it's news to me.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Race Director

Actually, if my '03 had it (power-retractable side mirrors), it's news to me.
No I meant your 03 had the feature, where the side mirror tilts down in reverse..

Damn dude you loaded, u bought a 03 TL, Sold it bought a 04 TSX, and thinking about a 04 TL?

Adopt me DADDY
Old 09-22-2003, 02:03 AM
More On

No I meant your 03 had the feature, where the side mirror tilts down in reverse.....
Well, that would be news to me too.

P.S. You don't want a dummy for a daddy.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:34 AM
Race Director

Well, that would be news to me too.

P.S. You don't want a dummy for a daddy.
LOL, either your car was defective or you never noticed that the side mirror tilted down in reverse, or as you stated, you were plain DUMB

I will pick option Number #2, and #3 as a close second (No OFFENSE )
Old 09-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

I picked up a brochure over the weekend. Acura only sent about 25 copies to my dealer, so they aren't handing them out to just anybody; he said that at this point they are only giving them to people who have put down deposits on the TL. Pretty nice brochure I must say; it sets out the features really well.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Instructor

LOL, either your car was defective or you never noticed that the side mirror tilted down in reverse, or as you stated, you were plain DUMB

I will pick option Number #2, and #3 as a close second (No OFFENSE )
Only the passenger side mirror on the 2003 TL tilts down when you shift into reverse and it won't work unless your power mirror control is in the neutral (center) position.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:41 AM
More On

Originally posted by huskerfan
Only the passenger side mirror on the 2003 TL tilts down when you shift into reverse and it won't work unless your power mirror control is in the neutral (center) position.
Thanks, Huskerfan -- I feel half vindicated. I virtually always have that control in the "driver-side" position, and that's why I never knew.

But only half vindicated, because I shoulda known. It would've been useful.

P.S. IMHO it's dumb for it to work only when the control is in the neutral setting.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P.S. IMHO it's dumb for it to work only when the control is in the neutral setting.
Actually, I like that it can be disabled. I don't find it to be overly useful, and where I have the right mirror set, it isn't happy when it tilts down.

-r
Old 09-23-2003, 07:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Auto Spies: Acura TL and TSX= best designed exterior in class

The Auto Spies 2004 “A” List- The Best of 2004

Here is our "A" list of vehicles, that impress us for 2004.

If you're going to purchase a car we recommend giving these choices serious consideration.

If the car you want isn't on this list, you may want to reconsider your purchase...

Toyota Sienna Limited- The first Lexus in Toyata skin

Nissan Quest- Beautiful interior design, kicks up the world of minivans a notch or two!

Acura TL- The best designed exterior in the class

Acura TSX- The best designed exterior in the class and quite a value for the money...Also, you don't have to wait nine months for a navigation system

Range Rover- The best SUV, period

Chevy Tahoe/Suburban Z71- Best value for the money (With the huge discounts and 0%) and the best looking and bst highway riding GM SUV

Infiniti FX35/45- What the X, ML and Cayenne should be and should be priced at...

Nissan Murano- Best value for the money and we would not be ashamed to pick this over other cars at $20K more

MB E55-We love the torque and 0-60.

MB SLR- No explanation needed

Cadillac SRX- Soon to be the best selling Cadillac

Nissan 350z- Better than a Boxster, Z4 and SLK for a lot less. And, it's better looking

Infiniti G35 sedan/coupe- Better than a Boxster, Z4, 350z and SLK for a lot less. And, it's better looking

Mini cooper S- A lot of cachet and a great diving car

Volvo S60R- A bargain 4-door M3

VW Touareg V8- Finished nicer than most SUV's and better looking than the Cayenne

Porsche Carrera C4S- The best affordable Porsche

Subaru Legacy- Sexy and great bang for the buck

Subaru WRX/STi- Fast, inexpensive and AWD

Bentley Continental GT- This puts them back in the game. The best looking coupe out there

Lamborghini Gallardo- The numbers don't lie

Audi A4 cabriolet- Beautiful and AWD

Audi S4- We'd pick it over an M3

BMW 3-series performance- The traditionalists Beemer

Cadillac CTS-V- Finally, a REALLY good car from Cadillac!

Ferrari Modena- An instant classic

MB SL500/55/65- The best looking convertible under $150K

MB CL55- Fast and luxurious!!!!

MB S55- The best large European sedan

Lexus LS430- They just keep perfecting it and the customer service is the best

Lexus LX470- The second best SUV

Lexus RX330- We had to put it on the list...There isn't a lady on earth who doesn't love it!
Maserati quattroporte- What can I say? It appeals to my Sicilian heritage

Nissan Maxima- A great sedan for the money and you'll get it cheaper than an Acura

Toyota Camry Solara- Great redesign...more timeless design than the Lexus SC430

VW Jetta Diesel wagon- When you need to go far for CHEAP and not look like a homer

Saab 9 3 sedan/convertible- A better Saab than ever

Nissan Pathfinder Armada- Look out Sequioa!

Infiniti QX56- Look out X, ML, Cayenne, GX, LX!

Nissan Titan- Nissan gets serious with this one

Ford F-150- Finally, a nice interior in an american truck

Volvo XC90- The SUV for the "Magna cum laude" set

Acura MDX- Still one of the best for the $

Carrera GT- You won't have to get used to this design!
Old 09-23-2003, 07:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"Volvo XC90- The SUV for the "Magna cum laude" set" == With high honors
Old 09-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News