Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I've had the car for almost a month and I'm still looking for the reported "understeer at the limit" that some publications talk about. I drive like a maniac (yes I confess I do) and I have still to undure understeer. I purposefully took the cars to a multiple S drive and all the chassis would give was joy, fun, fun. I think that some of these journalists confuse oversteer at the limit as a god sent attribute, I don't agree. If you pull the emergency brake at the apex of a curve anything will oversteer so will any rear drive car if you use the gas pedal like a dummy. Although all these driver pundits rave about throttle controlled understeer, the best times are achieved by contrlled 4 wheel drifts which the TL does quite nicely.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Trend Dec 2003

Here is the motor trend Dec 2003 First Drive:

Small Image:

Larger image (go to photo 5).

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...20&mode=invite
Old 11-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Thanks for the info. I've had the car for almost a month and I'm still looking for the reported "understeer at the limit" that some publications talk about. I drive like a maniac (yes I confess I do) and I have still to undure understeer. I purposefully took the cars to a multiple S drive and all the chassis would give was joy, fun, fun. I think that some of these journalists confuse oversteer at the limit as a god sent attribute, I don't agree. If you pull the emergency brake at the apex of a curve anything will oversteer so will any rear drive car if you use the gas pedal like a dummy. Although all these driver pundits rave about throttle controlled understeer, the best times are achieved by contrlled 4 wheel drifts which the TL does quite nicely.
Agreed Vtechbrain, I guess that the limit is so high, it is hard to get there, and you really have to be on a track to get there.

I have pushed it hard, and at times have almost seen oversteer instead of understeer, a nice steady push on the accelerator snaps it out of that oversteer condition! So much for the understeer stereo typing reviewers!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Pro

Canadian Driver sept and october write ups

October 17, 2003

Test Drive:
2004 Acura TL
by Greg Wilson

Confidence-inspiring performance and plenty of gadgets

When the Japanese-made Acura 3.2TL switched to the American-made Honda Accord platform in 1999, there was initial skepticism about the TL's ability to compete with established luxury sedans like the BMW 325i, Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class. There was, justifiably, an impression that the 3.2TL was just a tarted-up Accord. A day spent driving the TL through the coastal mountain ranges of British Columbia quickly dispelled this feeling - the '99 TL proved to be a much better performer than expected - particularly for a front-wheel-drive car. And with an initial price of $35,000, it was well-equipped and a good value in its class. Significantly, the TL went on to win Car of the Year in an annual contest judged by more than 60 professional Canadian auto writers.

The 2004 Acura TL is also based on the American-built front-wheel-drive Accord platform, but it's the new Accord platform which was redesigned last year. As before, the 2004 TL's engine, body and interior are unique while the platform, suspension, and brakes are modified from the Accord. The '04 TL is wider and taller than the '03 TL, but its wheelbase is slightly shorter and its overall length is significantly shorter (159 mm/6.3 in.), mostly because of shorter front and rear overhangs.

Click image to enlarge
2004 TL's come in three trim levels: TL $40,800; TL with Navi package $44,000; and TL Dynamic Package $41,800. The "3.2" in "3.2TL" has been deleted, and the "Type S" model designation is gone. Now that the 2004 TL has more horsepower than the previous Type S, it's arguably a replacement for the Type S, which accounts for the '04's higher starting price of $40,800, up from $37,800 for the base '03 3.2TL.

TL's are available with a couple of technology firsts: DVD audio system and hands-free Bluetooth cell-phone operation. Also unique is a navigation system that includes English and Canadian-French voice recognition.

Also of note, 2004 TL's with the Dynamic Package include the first 6-speed manual transmission available in the TL - this transmission was first introduced in the CL coupe. The TL 6MT also gets Brembo front brakes, summer performance tires, hands-free Bluetooth phone technology, and limited slip front differential - all for only $1,000 more than the base TL. But Acura representatives say it will be a limited production model.

Wedge-shaped styling

With a new wedge-shaped profile, taller sides, and a wider, more aggressive stance, the 2004 TL resembles the smaller Acura TSX from the front and sides, while the rear reminds me of, well, a Chrysler Sebring. In fact, there appear to be little bits of other cars mixed in to the TL's styling - a little bit of Mustang there, Audi here, Mazda there...this lack of individuality is disappointing. OK,

Click image to enlarge

there's nothing BAD about the styling, but it doesn't inspire the same kind of passion that a BMW 330i, Audi A4 or Infiniti G35 might - at least, in my opinion. I know I'll get some letters..

Interior well-finished

Like the prevous model, the 2004 TL's interior is very nicely finished. The quality of the cabin materials, fit and finish, and attention to detail are superb - it's all very luxurious and very comfortable. I particularly liked the supportive front leather sport seats, tilt/telescopic steering wheel, blue-lit gauges, and real aluminum trim.

The cabin is roomier than before, but its high sides make the cabin feel a little more claustrophobic, particularly in the rear. There's plenty of headroom and legroom for front and and rear passengers, however the rear seat is only wide enough for two adults. And while the front doors are large, the rear doors are narrower at the bottom because of intrusion from the rear wheelwells.

For passenger safety, TLs now include standard head curtain airbags which protect both front and rear passengers in a side collision. TLs also have standard front and side airbags with an occupant-position sensor for the front passenger, and outboard height adjustable rear head restraints are also new. Acura has conducted its own crash tests, and says the new TL will get top marks in future government frontal and offset crash tests.

The trunk is smaller: 353 litres (12.5 cu. ft.) compared to 405 litres (14.3 cu. ft.) before - however, the new trunk is well shaped and will fit up to four golf bags and duffel bags. There's a pass-through to the trunk, but no folding rear seatbacks.

Leading-edge technology

An optional Navigation system has a large 8 inch colour touch screen which I found easy to use. Manual inputs are accomplished using a combination of the touch-screen, toggle switch and buttons to the sides of the screen. Unique to Acura's system is a voice-recognition system for English and Quebecois French - over 150 Honda Quebec employees participated in recreating an accurate French-Canadian voice recognition software. In the TL, this voice recognition system can be used to operate the Navigation system and Bluetooth cell phone system.

Acura is one of the first manufacturers to offer the hands-free Bluetooth system. After an initial setup procedure, you can make calls on your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone without taking it out of your pocket or purse. Simply press a button on the steering wheel, say the telephone number, and it will appear in the instrument cluster. To confirm the number, press the button again and it dials. A microphone positioned on the overhead console allows the driver to talk while the stereo speakers broadcast the recipient's reply. To disconnect, press another button on the steering wheel. There's no need to take your hands off the steering wheel. Great!

The TL is also one of the first cars to offer a DVD audio system with six different audio channels. The Acura/ELS 8-speaker system will play DVD's, CD's, DTS discs, but not MP3 discs. Its higher resolution provides clearer, crisper sound with much greater detail. See Jim Kerr's recent Auto Tech column for more details about this system.

Strong performance

Like the 2003 TL, the 2004 TL's strong points are its superb engine and terrific handling. Under the hood is a transversely-mounted 3.2 litre SOHC 24 valve VTEC V6 engine, similiar to the one used in the 2003 TL Type S - but now with an aluminum alloy block and pumping out 270 horsepower at 6200 rpm, 10 more horsepower than the TL Type S and 45 more than the previous TL. Torque is also up slightly. A higher compression ratio, improved induction air flow, and improved exhaust flow are the main reasons for the extra horsepower and torque. Even with the extra horsepower, the new engine offers the same fuel consumption as the previous motor, and now meets stricter emissions

Click image to enlarge

standards. But it does use Premium gas.

A 5-speed automatic with manual mode comes standard while a new 6 speed manual is offered on the 6MT version. I tried both transmissions - the 5 speed automatic is one of the smoothest shifters I've encountered and includes automatic shift down when braking and coasting. It can be manually shifted sequentially by moving the lever over to the left shift gate - tapping forward shifts up a gear, tapping backward shifts down.

The 6-speed manual offers light, purposeful shifts while the clutch pedal requires a firm push and a delicate clutch engagement to prevent lurching. The manual transmission includes a self-adjusting clutch and a dual-mass flywheel. With the manual tranny, Acura quotes 0 to 60 mph times of only 6.3 seconds, while TLs with the automatic do the same distance in 7.2 seconds. The engine lets out a mild roar under hard acceleration, but is otherwise extremely quiet, as is the cabin in general. I experienced no torque steer even under full power. At freeway speeds, the engine is very relaxed running at just 1800 rpm at 100 km/h, and 2200 rpm at 120 km/h in top gear. I found the TL to be a very comfortable highway cruiser.

Vehicle dynamics are really outstanding for a front wheel drive car. The 6MT model with 17 inch Bridgestone Potenza performance tires sticks like glue on dry pavement with virtually no tire squeal at the limit. Even the all-season Bridgestone Turanza tires on the standard TL offer excellent grip, assisted by the TL's fully independent double wishbone suspension and anti-dive, anti-squat suspension setup. In some ways, the TL handles with the balance of a rear-wheel-drive car - it's only under hard braking and when the car is unsettled that you notice its heavier front end. My only complaint is with the new speed-sensitive, torque-sensing steering - it's doesn't communicate road feel at speed.

The TL comes standard with many safety features such as Vehicle Stability Assist, Traction Control, new electronic brake force distribution, ABS, and Brake Assist. So if you lose control on a slippery patch, these systems will intervene to correct the vehicle's direction, increase traction or reduce braking distances.

Driver visibility is good to the front and sides, but the high rear deck makes it difficult to see other cars, concrete barriers, fire hydrants and the like when backing into a parking space.

Previously, TL's had HID low beams, but now the high beams are also HID lamps, increasing long range lighting by about 50%, according to Acura.

Competitors

The TL's competitors include the BMW 330i, Lexus ES300, Audi A4 3.0, Infiniti G35, and Mercedes-Benz C240 - but because the new TL now has 270 horsepower and has a roomier cabin, it could also be considered competition for mid-sized luxury sedans like the BMW 530i, Audi A6, Lincoln LS, Cadillac CTS, and Lexus GS300.

Verdict

Terrific handling, wonderful engine, top-notch interior, many innovative techno gadgets, and a good price, but styling could be more distinctive.

Technical Data: 2004 Acura TL w/Navigation Package

Base price $40,800
Price as tested $44,000
Type 4-door, 5-passenger mid-size sedan
Layout transverse front engine/front-wheel-drive
Engine 3.2 litre V6, SOHC, 24 valves, VTEC
Horsepower 270 @ 6200 rpm
Torque 238 lb-ft. @ 5000 rpm
Transmission 5-speed automatic w/SportShift manual mode (6-speed manual)
Tires Bridgestone Turanza 235/45R-17 all-season
Curb weight 1626 kg (3585 lb.)
Wheelbase 2740 mm (107.9 in.)
Length 4730 mm (186.2 in.)
Width 1835 mm (72.2 in.)
Height 1441 mm (56.7 in.)
Cargo capacity 348 litres (12.3 cu. ft.)
Fuel consumption City: 11.6 l/100 km (24 mpg)
Hwy: 7.6 l/100 km (37 mpg)
Fuel type Premium 91 octane recommended
Warranty 3 yrs/60,000 km
Powertrain Warranty 5 yrs/100,000 km

From: - http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/rr/04tl.htm

September 8, 2003

First Drive:
2004 Acura TL
by Richard Russell

Seattle, Washington - Acura has scaled new heights with the 2004 TL, moving it solidly into the performance side of the luxury realm. Honda’s upscale division has decided to pursue the Germans in this class and the result is a seriously fast luxury sedan.

Performance starts with power and here Acura engineers decided enough would not be good enough. Whereas the previous TL came with two performance levels, 225 and 260 horsepower, the all-new 2004 version will be available with one engine level only - 270 horsepower. But they didn’t stop there. The Germans rightfully earned a performance reputation based on all-round packaging so Acura endowed the new TL with a six speed manual gearbox, massive Brembo brakes and a suspension tuned for Herculian speeds.

We drove several early production versions hard and fast over several hundred kilometres of scarcely populated Pacific Northwest logging roads and can attest to the fact this is one seriously competent and deceptively fast motor vehicle!

Acura also decided that since the lineup has been expanded with the TSX they can move the TL up a notch. In addition to the performance hike, all '04 TLs get electronic stability control, six airbags, Zenon headlights and a simply-amazing industry-unique DVD sound system. The new TL is also significantly more stylish than its predecessor which had often been called bland. The loping, smooth contours have been axed, replaced by clearly defined edges. The result is a much more substantial look and a bold stance. The new TL is 14 cm shorter than the outgoing model, yet manages to provide more interior space.

Acura means exceptional quality, fit, finish and materials. But there are a myriad of other touches inside that make this a very pleasant space. Soft blue LED lights are used for the instrument panel and they not only welcome you with a gradual and staged performance, the backlit analog instruments are highly visible in bright sunlight even while wearing sunglasses. The standard interior trim includes supple leather and wood trim.

The standard sound system is the first automotive application of DVD-A 5.1 audio. DVD audio has 500 times the resolution of a CD - which the system can also accommodate. The new Acura ELS surround-system, named after Elliot Shiner, the 17-time Grammy nominee sound engineer who helped in the development, features six discreet channels, eight speakers and a dedicated sub-woofer permitting a level and quality of sound previously heard only in elaborate home entertainment systems and theatres. Suddenly being stuck in traffic is not as big a bother as it used to be. Or you might find yourself going out to the garage to enjoy a favorite new pressing.

Acura also worked hard to ensure its first navigation system was Canadian-friendly. An English-French Voice Recognition system was developed by 170 French-speaking Honda Canada Associates. It’s screen displays more than 8.7 million points of interest and recognizes 180 verbal commands. The database contains more than 250,000 Canadian Points Of Interest including POI dialing. Speech recognition also controls the climate control and sound systems. Also available with the Navi and Dynamics packages is Acura’s new HandsFreeLink system. Based on emerging technology - no wires and no cradles - it automatically recognizes a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone.

The added power over the old Type S engine came from a higher compression ratio and on the intake side, the three-rocker VTEC system and dual stage manifold. Airflow is up 4% from the Type S and 41% from the past base model. Acura’s testing shows class-leading 0-100 and 80-120 km/hr times. Should you not want the six-speed self-shifter, the wide ratio five-speed sequential Sport Shift automatic has been refined, ratios altered and the gated shifter simplified.

The 2004 TL will be available in one trim level only, but two packages are available to allow a buyer to select his or her flavour, Navi and Dynamic. The Navi package obviously includes the new navigation system and other electronic additions. The Dynamic Package forgoes the navigation system in favor of performance. This version has the same 270-horsepower engine, but mates it with a six-speed manual gearbox and helical Limited Slip Differential, specific high performance tires and upgraded brakes.

The Dynamic package comes with high performance summer-only tires resulting in sharper steering, improved handling, reduced braking distances and lower noise levels. Separate winter tires are always a good bet - and worth the added outlay.

The new TL also showcases some serious safety thinking. In addition to active safety features like massive brakes, ABS and Vehicle Stability Assist, the TL has a wide variety of passive safety items including front, side and side-curtain bags, a 24% stiffer body and neck-injury reduction front seats.

The 2004 TL is more stylish, safer, roomier and faster - with no letup in Acura quality and craftsmanship. Smaller yet roomier, faster but more fuel-efficient, improved handling at no sacrifice in ride quality and more standard equipment. Sounds like a recipe for success.

Prices are not yet finalized but Acura fully expects to bring the '04 TL in at about the same price as the previous Type S ($42,000) despite its more extensive standard equipment list and serious boost in performance.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:58 AM
Pro

WSJ, Canadian Auto, AP, Road&Track, and more!

Wall Street Journal :

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4105

Canadian Auto Review (Long!):

http://www.canadianautoreview.com/2004_acura_tl.htm

Post Gazette (AP):

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03304/235407.stm

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4085

Road and Track (Nov 2003):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....article_id=830

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=3874

Acura TL: High-tech love affair :

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=3885

The Car Connection (10/2003) 2 articles!:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6501

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6510

Consumer Guide (Sept 2003):

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...x.cfm/id/37492

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=3394

Autoweek Mini Spot :

Motor Trend Video Link :

http://www.motortrend.com/multimedia...ids/index.html

Motor Week Video Capture (thanks VtechMW!) BIG!:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mwycheis/acuratl.mpg

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=2288

Toronto Star (Sept 03):

http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/Cont...=1062673329613

National Post Review (Canada): Dare We Say Sexy? :

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=2343
Old 11-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Pro

New National Post Article

http://www.nationalpost.com/driverse...0-720512F5C43E

[B] Personality transplant

Brian Harper
National Post [\B]

Pumping out a decent 270 horsepower from its 3.2-litre SOHC V6, the TL will hit 100 kilometres an hour in 6.9 seconds. Just as important, its brakes are equal to the task.

A CURE FOR DRIVER BOREDOM: The new TL takes over where the second-generation model left off. This one is more powerful, faster, better looking and sports a more dynamic personality. It's also pricier.

While there are countless thousands of Honda Accord owners who are perfectly happy with their super-reliable sedans, far fewer would claim the exemplary four-door demonstrates anything approaching character. I'm talking about the "driver's car" variety of appeal coveted by those of us who profess to be motoring enthusiasts, gear heads or car freaks and who feel mechanical transportation is capable of possessing a soul.

Even those turning to Acura's four-door models to receive their fix have occasionally been left wanting by the luxury-performance division's somewhat antiseptic approach to engineering. This doesn't prevent the automaker from designing and building superior automobiles, but they can prove less fulfilling.

Witness the bulls-eye Acura hit with the second-generation Acura 3.2TL, introduced in 1998 as an entry-level luxury sedan. Its low starting price and copious features gave the competition fits, and its competence was judged high enough that the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada awarded it Car of the Year. But only unbridled optimism would call it an outstanding driver's car (the Type S version that came out a couple of years ago did move it closer to the mark).

A buoyant luxury sedan market has meant an increase in the number of competitors, all nibbling away at the TL's market share. Into this environment comes the third-generation 2004 TL, showcasing not only increased levels of luxury and performance, but also designed, according to Honda, as an affordable alternative to buyers shopping the higher end of the luxury market, such as the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6 -- "drivers' cars" both.

In dealing with both the previous-generation TL's reputation and the new model's climb to a higher class of luxury competition, Honda has dug deeper into the character stash than it has in a long time, starting with styling.

Where Gen2 tended to blend in with the covert sweep of its curves, the 2004 TL wears crisp, more sharply defined sheet metal that is definitely European inspired (BMW-ish with a dash of Alfa Romeo thrown in).

The new TL's athletic stance requires an equally agile powertrain to back it up. Honda stuck with the previous TL's 3.2-litre SOHC V6 but built onto the technology of the Type S engine. New aluminum alloy cylinder block and heads, a new crankshaft and pistons and the VTEC system help the engine produce 270 horsepower (10 more than the '03 TL3.2 Type S) and a stronger, broader torque curve. A five-speed Sequential SportShift manumatic is standard with a close-ratio six-speed manual available with the optional Dynamic Package.

The sporty TL is quick rather than fast with a smooth, linear power flow to the front wheels. In six-speed form, the 1,623-kilogram TL will hit 100 kilometres an hour in 6.9 seconds. Fourth-gear acceleration to 120 km/h from 80 takes 7.1 seconds.

Even the manumatic function is mildly entertaining. A short push of the lever quickly and accurately upshifts the transmission.When stopped, the computer defaults to first gear -- although it wimps out by automatically short-shifting to second when one takes off again, ostensibly if the driver fails to upshift in time.

Driving it with gusto, one would still be hard pressed to recognize the TL as a front driver, for which the sedan's suspension can receive part of the credit. The double-wishbone front and five-link double-wishbone rear may be standard fare for Honda, but they've been tweaked to offer a noticeable improvement in ride and handling.

The front and rear suspensions have built-in "toe" gain when the suspension reacts to bumps, further stabilizing the chassis on chewed-up roads and during cornering. This does not come at the expense of ride quality, which is firm, not severe. Naturally, there is a complement of electronic minders to keep the TL on the shiny black stuff. Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), Brake Assist and Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) are all standard. The brakes are particularly strong, stopping the car from 100 km/h in just 36 metres.

Acura again borrows a page from BMW when it comes to interior execution, choosing a simple, uncluttered layout that is still a notch above the German automaker's Spartan affair. Perforated leather-trimmed seats, aluminum trim and wood accents imbue the TL cabin with an open, airy feeling. LED back-lit analogue instrumentation gives the driver easy access to information. The only area of the dashboard that is too busy with buttons is the centre stack, which, in the tester, held Acura's optional navigation system as well as the climate control and audio systems. Thankfully, there are redundant audio and cruise controls on the steering wheel.

Honda is particularly proud of the new nav system's English/French voice recognition software, which it says includes 8.7 million points of interest in Canada and the U.S. and recognizes 180 verbal commands. The navigation system uses a large, eight-inch, multi-functional touch-screen display that provides crisp, clear map readouts. The TL also offers as options other new technologies such as a HandsFreeLink Bluetooth wireless-linked telephone system and a DVD-audio sound system (which, I have been told, leaves goose bumps).

Taller drivers will find the TL's front-seat headroom and legroom more than acceptable. The eight-way power driver's bucket seat with two-way power-adjustable lumbar support proves very comfortable on longer journeys. Despite the slightly shorter length and wheelbase of the new TL as compared with the previous generation, rear-seat riders -- at least those under six-feet-tall -- should find the accommodations to their liking. Primary safety features in the new car include dual front air bags, dual side air bags and side curtain air bags. For those who do a lot of night driving, xenon high-intensity discharge headlamps are standard.

There is no doubt in my mind that the '04 TL surpasses the previous TL Type S in terms of handling, performance, refinement and features. And that means the new model rises to the top ranks among entry-level luxury sedans such as the BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 and Infiniti G35, all the more impressive for the TL considering its front-wheel-drive layout.

Whether it is an affordable alternative to higher-end luxury cars depends on the importance placed on price (the Acura starts at $40,800) versus technological sophistication, powertrain choices and panache: yes, if it's the former; close, but no cigar if it's the latter.

Is the new TL a driver's car? Let's just say I hated returning the keys to Honda.

THE SPECS:

TYPE OF VEHICLE Front-wheel-drive, luxury sedan

ENGINE 3.2L SOHC V6

POWER 270 hp @ 6,200 rpm; 238 lb.-ft. of torque @ 5,000 rpm

TRANSMISSION Five-speed manumatic

BRAKES Four-wheel disc with ABS

BASE PRICE/AS TESTED $40,800/$44,000

FUEL ECONOMY, L/100 KM 11.6 city, 7.6 hwy.

bharper@nationalpost.com

© Copyright 2003 National Post
Old 11-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Pro

AutoWeek

NOW AND THEN
DENISE MCCLUGGAGE
What Honda Should Do
HONDA MAY BE TOO JAPANESE FOR its own good. What Honda should do is stand above the crowd (un-Japanese), open its mouth wide un-Japanese) and brag chest-thumpingly about itself un-Japanese).
What it does is scuffle into the room1 shyly place a gilt on a low table and bow its way backward out of the room.
This is charming in a Japanese country inn with tatami mats and rice paper screens, but Honda is selling cars in a noisy, pointy-elbowed, crowded marketplace.
By Honda I really mean Acura, Which is another problem: Honda was first from Asia with the separate luxury division, but it hasn’t separated the two as well as the Toyota/Leans and Nissan/Infiniti pairs. Certainly not in the public’s perception.
And in recent years the company seems to have been wandering about with~ out a strong vector to its step. New models have more escaped than been “ta-da,” introduced. And then the company rather doled out its product to frustrated dealers.
The largest gifts deposited by Acura should really come in a package primed to burst into bits at a touch with an oomph band blaring and star-shaped confetti and colored streamers exploding into the air.
In one package is the TSX, a disarmingly dexterous four-banger that is much the Accord that Europeans know, and the other is the TL, which was once similar to a back-home Honda model but is now nearly wholly and exclusively American—designed here and built here, Both cars, following the sales philosophy of the suit department rather than separates, come grandly whole with so little that can be opted for. If you look at the price ($26,990 and $33,195, respectively) and then check the content, you sec these ears rank at the peak of value-for-money.
Take the TL. A no-charge option for the silken six-speed manual brings a limited-slip diff and Brembo brakes, which on the sticker of many other cars prompts a serious surcharge. Here it rates a bump up of only $200, and that’s for the Bridgestone Potenza high-performance tires.
And be careful all you who carp that Japanese cars arc devoid of personality; these two new gifts have an engaging edge to both their appearance and performance, though more subtly endearing than wow-producing. The TSX and TL are probably still too diffident for those who continue to knock the styling of Acura’s NSX despite its near-perfection in handling and performance.
Oh yes, and the absence of a V8. And the presence of front-wheel drive. We who are self-designated Serious Drivers know that cylinders must number eight or more and the rear wheels (or all wheels) must be driven to be a serious contender for out affections. That’s on dry or wet.
So it’s fun getting sideways and powering free.
Acura engineers early on masterfully dealt with something still bothering many. Front-drivers: dreaded torque steer (though apparently cherished rather than berated by Swedes). Conventional wisdom holds that no more than 200 hp can be successfully transferred to the ground through the front wheels without setting them to racing each other to the corner. Somehow the top TL manages 270 hp with aplomb.
And if there’s a sweeter V6 in the world, I’ve yet to meet it. I’ve not mentioned the tl’s exclusive DVD audio system (six-channel surround sound), which has sound hounds sitting agape with wonder. Come on, Acura, brag thunderously on this.
But wait: I sense a stirring. I see indications that Acura is lining up its ducks, rediscovering its lodestar, and the future may be even more worthy of some clamorous drum beating. Hybrid SUVs incoming? Four-wheel drive?
Louder, Acura. —dmccluggage@crain.com
Old 11-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Pro

[B]BMW-INSPIRED: '04 TL is feast for eyes[/B]

FROM LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

http://www.reviewjournal.com/auto/news/22437956.html

BMW-INSPIRED: '04 TL is feast for eyes

All the good stuff you've come to expect and respect from Acura, just more of it

By JASON STEIN
WHEELBASE COMMUNICATIONS

PHOTO CAPTION:
The TL offers the kind of creature comforts to make it a real force in the entry-level luxury sedan segment.

Acura is looking to duplicate BMW's success in reeling in drivers who want a sedan that reflects their sporting nature and respects their intelligence and sensibilities as well-heeled buyers.

Keep it clean. Make it fast, functional, sophisticated and a feast for the eyes. You know, the kind of car that says, "I can afford to spend more, but this is the car I really want." Enter the dashing and ultra-modern looking 2004 TL with its 270-horsepower 3.2-liter SOHC V6.

Similar in style to the striking new-for-'04 TSX sedan, the TL -- minus its normal 3.2 TL designation -- is all new and still offers a ton of storage space (despite being six inches shorter than the '03 model) and a true level of performance and precision.

Acura pulls no punches: The BMW 530i Sport is the inspiration behind the TL. Similar engine displacement and transmission choices greet buyers (six-speed manual or five-speed automatic with manual override), as does Acura's one-stop approach to standard features.

Fresh fixin's on the top side, fresh underpinnings on the bottom and no more two-model lineup. Think of the 2004 TL as a heavily reworked 2003 Type-S that's better looking and better performing with 10 more horsepower heading to the front wheels.

The '04 TL also features a drive-by-wire throttle system (derived from the exotic NSX sports car) that eliminates the mechanical connection between the accelerator pedal and the engine. Pump the gas all you want when the car is shut off, nothing happens at the engine. Aside from smoother power application, it allows the new stability-control system to cut the power, at will, if it senses the TL is at any time losing its composure.

The TL is wider and more muscular than before, accented by 17-inch wheels and tires as well as a distinct front and back end and an aggressive face. A prominent character line is etched into each side of the car, running underneath the pull handles on the doors and ending at the front and rear fender-mounted marker lights. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, BMW should be blushing.

Inside, materials have been upgraded -- leather and real aluminum trim is slathered throughout -- and there are more standard amenities and high-tech features than before.

Buyers will receive dual-zone climate control, side-impact and side-curtain airbags, four-wheel disc brakes with antilock brakes (bigger Brembo-brand brakes are included when you order the six-speed transmission), the usual assortment of power amenities and heated outside mirrors.

However, one particular feature sounds interesting, if not incredible.

As standard equipment -- and for the first time in any production vehicle -- the TL will offer a six-channel (instead of the normal two) DVD audio system with surround sound. Developed with the help of Panasonic and music industry producer Elliot Scheiner, the 225-watt Acura/ELS Premium eight-speaker Surround System also plays conventional CDs through its eight speakers.

Put the car in park and you can even watch DVD movies through the optional navigation system.

The TL is also the first automobile to offer a wireless link with specific mobile phones so that calls can be made and received using the car's voice-recognition system. To dial up someone, drivers push the steering-wheel-mounted HandsFreeLink button, which connects their phone to the system.

But just when you think Acura has gone overboard with the gizmos, trust this: The basics are more than covered. The TL still offers a ton of storage space, including enough for four golf bags, and all the Acura value you've come to expect and respect. There's just more of it.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Pro

Washington Post: All Around, a Sound System

Washington Post: All Around, a Sound System

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2003Nov21.html

All Around, a Sound System

By Warren Brown
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, November 23, 2003; Page G01

The 2004 Acura TL sedan has four wheels and an engine. It runs fast and handles well. It is a car. But it is so much more.

It is a motorized Carnegie Hall, a communications center and an office replete with secretary. It is a refuge.

I stopped thinking of the new TL as an automobile during my week behind its wheel. It became my place -- a destination in itself.

The Acura/ELS Premium Surround Sound System had much to do with that. Let me tell you about this thing.

It is a sound system beyond stereo, beyond the ordinary two-channel delivery of bases and trebles. The Acura/ELS system, with DVD-Audio, has six different audio channels. The sound is recording-studio quality. It comes at you from all sides through eight speakers, including a rear-mounted, eight-inch subwoofer. Instead of driving to the concert, you're driving with it.

And should you choose not to listen to one of your CD or DVD-Audio discs in the six-disc changer, or to a tape in the Dolby cassette, you're still in a good place. The new TL comes with XM Satellite Radio integrated into the AM/FM tuner.

XM gives you 100 music and news/talk channels, 36 of them commercial-free. But the primary benefit is satellite reception, which means you can begin listening to your favorite jazz or 1940s big-band station in Virginia and keep listening to it all the way to California.

You'll have little chance of getting lost on that trip if you choose one of the few options, the Acura Navigation system, offered in the TL. It is the best navigation system offered in any car, regardless of price.

Acura Navigation is intuitive. It thinks like you think. You want to get to a certain place? Call up the "destination" screen. After a few easy prompts, an on-screen keyboard appears. Type the destination address the same as you would on a computer keyboard. Hit "OK," and off you go.

Acura Navigation is accurate to within a few feet. Its on-screen graphics are clear, precise, helpful. Are you listening, BMW and Mercedes-Benz? I hope so. By comparison, your navigation systems are ridiculously complicated, inaccurate and substantially below the usefulness of a paper map. Why don't you ditch your systems and buy one from Acura? Most consumers won't care. They simply want a navigation system that navigates.

What else? Well, there's this Bluetooth-enabled cell-phone thing. Bluetooth is a radio-frequency technology that allows wireless communications between devices such as personal digital assistants, laptops and mobile phones. The TL uses the technology in its patented HandsFreeLink phone system that allows the Bluetooth-enabled cell phone to communicate wirelessly, securely -- and flawlessly with the car from a maximum distance of 30 feet.

That means you can receive a call on your cell and answer it without ever picking up the phone or putting on one of those silly little rock-star headsets or Secret Service ear pieces.

If the phone conversation doesn't end by the time you get to where you're going, there's no problem. Push a button on the steering wheel and transfer the call to your handheld cell.

You can dial calls by voice in this car. In fact, you can operate a variety of functions by voice in the new TL. And that includes the optional ability to operate the Acura Navigation system.

There's also visual information aplenty, thanks to the TL's standard Multi-Info Display (MID) screen and its push-button controls, located on the right side of the instrument cluster. The screen, a cleverly designed LED strip, tells you everything you want to know about the car and its functions. It even gives you the name of the tunes you're listening to on XM (which carries a subscription fee of about $10 a month).

It's amazing. Getting into the TL at the end of the day, an experience enhanced by supple leathers and tasteful aluminum accents, was like getting home miles before actually getting there. Well done, Acura. Well done.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:16 PM
Pro

Thumbs up MotorWeek - 6spd MT Road Test!

MotorWeek - Week of November 21,2003

(Can be seen on Speed Channel Tuesday at 8:30pm and 2:30am)

2004 Acura TL
Program #2312

Keeping up in the luxury-performance sedan segment is never easy. You're competing with the likes of Audi, BMW, Jaguar, and others. But since it arrived for 1996, the Acura TL has been steadily carving itself a comfortable little niche as a high value over achiever. Well, for 2004, there is a new TL and a more aggressive strategy. No longer content to whittle away, Acura has given the latest TL the tools to cut into its rivals in a big way.

And they threw in some ''know-how'' too! Besides its obvious good looks and added muscle, the 2004 Acura TL was taught how to aptly handle that added glory.

Though based on the redesigned 2003 Honda Accord, the new TL receives an upgraded chassis that cites a nearly 24 percent boost in torsional rigidity. From tip to tail, the tauter lines and creases slice through its sleek and defined body. While wheelbase is similar, the TL is actually over 6 inches shorter than last year. The TL rides on a highly refined double-wishbone front and 5-link rear suspension. Honda's well-regarded torque sensing variable assist power steering and standard electronic stability control adds even more precision and security.

But the TL's sharpest sculpting lies beneath the hood. Its heavily revamped 3.2-liter single-overhead cam V6 not only delivers more horsepower, but more torque. With 270 horsepower surpassing last year's, and now extinct, high-performance TL Type-S, this TL also cranks out an elevated 238 pound-feet of torque.

Our test car was equipped with a close-ratio 6-speed manual that's packaged with a limited slip differential and higher rate springs. Surprisingly we found shift action a little rubbery. A 5-speed Sequential SportShift automatic is a no-cost option. Better acceleration numbers might have been posted if our 6-speed's on-off clutch wasn't so slippery. Yet the TL still managed to arrive at 60 in just 6.3 seconds. The quarter mile passes in 14.8 seconds at 96 miles-per-hour.

And though competing sports sedans like the BMW 3-Series and Cadillac CTS feature rear-wheel-drive systems for handling tenacity, the front drive Acura TL proved nearly as nimble and quick. Save for some minor understeer, the TL hammers through even high speed lane changes. Overall the rear end stays planted nicely, and we forgive the TL's very mild body roll. We said the last TL was one of the best handling front-drivers in the world, and the new car is a step up from that.

Braking performance is top-notch, too, with 60-to-0 stops averaging a short, neat 115 feet. Our drivers were very impressed with our 6-speed's all-disc ABS brakes with Brembo front calipers. Results are comparable to some recent Porsche's we've tested.

Typical of Acura luxury-sports style, the TL's nicely understated cabin is comfortable, roomy, and very well equipped, including sunroof. The triple recessed gauge-pods are deep set behind the tilt and telescoping wheel. The shapely dash is trimmed in real aluminum, while bright-blue lights and wood patterns cement the cockpit's up-level appeal. Dual zone climate controls, an industry first 225 watt 5.1 DVD-based surround-sound audio system with XM satellite radio receiver and Bluetooth hands-free phone setup, adorn the TL's center stack. Voice activated navigation is the only option.

Rear seat room is seldom a high point of popular sport sedans, but with its front-drive packaging the new TL scores very well in comfort. To ensure safety as well as comfort, Acura has fitted the cabin with seat-mounted side airbags for front occupants and side curtain airbags for front and rear passengers.

The shorter length took its toll, however, on trunk space. It shrinks from 14.3 cubic feet to 12.5. But, to make room for longer items, there is a lockable rear-seat pass-through to help compensate.

And something TL drivers won't have to compensate for is fuel economy. EPA estimates are 19 city and 28 highway. Our manual raked in 25 miles-per-gallon in a test loop. Impressive for any sporty sedan.

And, like the previous TLs, the all new 2004 edition proves to be a bargain, especially with all its added perks and performance. The base price for both the automatic and manual is $33,195. With the added NAV system the price jumps to $35,195.

The first generation TL was the car that saved the Acura franchise by offering more luxury and performance sedan for the money than any rival. With new glitz and glam, we feel that the even more capable 2004 Acura TL will not only add many more converts to Honda's premium brand, but it raises the bar competitors must leap to ear-bleeding heights.

2004 Acura TL

Engine 3.2-liter single-overhead cam V6

Horsepower 270

Torque 238 lb feet

0-60 mph 6.3 seconds

1/4 mile 14.8 seconds @ 96 mph

60-0 mph 115 feet

EPA Mileage 19 mpg city
28 mpg highway

MotorWeek's
mileage loop 25 mpg
mixed city/highway
Old 11-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Pro

Edmonton Journal: 2004 Acura TL climbs to higher class of luxury

Thanks to acura_driver

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmon...8-276688D87978

2004 Acura TL climbs to higher class of luxury
TL an affordable alternative to high-end luxury cars

Brian Harper
Freelance

Tuesday, November 25, 2003

While there are countless thousands of Honda Accord owners who are perfectly happy with their super-reliable sedans, few would claim the exemplary four-door demonstrates anything approaching character.

I'm talking about the "driver's car" variety of appeal coveted by people who profess to be motoring enthusiasts, gear heads or car freaks and who feel mechanical transportation is capable of possessing a soul.

Even people who are turning to Acura's four-doors to receive their fix have occasionally been left wanting by the luxury-performance division's somewhat antiseptic approach to engineering. This does not prevent the automaker from designing and building superior automobiles, but they can prove less fulfilling.

Witness the bulls-eye Honda hit with the second-generation Acura 3.2TL, introduced in 1998 as an entry-level luxury sedan. Its low starting price and copious features gave the competition fits and its competence was judged high enough that the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada awarded it Car of the Year honours. But only unbridled optimism would call it an outstanding driver's car -- the Type S version that came out a couple of years ago did move it closer to the mark.

A buoyant luxury sedan market has meant an increase in the number of competitors, all nibbling away at the TL's market share. Into this environment comes the third-generation 2004 TL, showcasing not only increased levels of luxury and performance, but also designed, says Honda, as an affordable alternative to buyers shopping the higher-end of the luxury market, such as the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6 -- "drivers' cars" both.

In dealing with the previous-generation TL's rep and the new model's climb to a higher class of luxury competition, Honda has dug deeper into the character stash than it has in a long time, starting with styling. Where Gen2 tended to blend in with the covert sweep of its curves, the 2004 TL wears crisp, more sharply defined sheet metal that is definitely European inspired -- BMW-ish with a dash of Alfa Romeo thrown in.

The new TL's athletic stance requires an equally agile powertrain to back it up. Honda stuck with the previous TL's 3.2-litre SOHC V6 but built onto the technology of the Type S engine. New aluminum alloy cylinder block and heads, a new crankshaft and pistons and the VTEC system help the engine produce 270 horsepower -- 10 more than the '03 TL3.2 Type S -- and a stronger, broader torque curve. A five-speed Sequential SportShift manumatic is standard with a close-ratio six-speed manual available with the optional Dynamic Package. The sporty TL is quick rather than fast with a smooth, linear flow of power to the front wheels. In six-speed form, the

1,623- kilogram TL will hit 100 kilometres an hour in 6.9 seconds. Fourth gear acceleration to 120 km/h from 80 takes 7.1 seconds.

Even the manumatic function proves mildly entertaining. A short push of the lever quickly and accurately upshifts the transmission. And, when stopped, the computer defaults to first gear, although it wimps out by automatically short-shifting to second when one takes off again if the driver fails to upshift in time.

Driving it with gusto, one would still be hard pressed to recognize the TL as a front-driver, for which the sedan's suspension can receive a share of the credit. The double-wishbone front and five-link double-wishbone rear might be standard fare for Honda, but they have been tweaked to produce a noticeable improvement in ride and handling.

Honda says both the front and rear suspensions have built-in "toe" gain when the suspension reacts to bumps, further stabilizing the chassis on chewed up roads and during cornering. The bonus is that this doesn't come at the expense of ride quality, which is firm, not severe. Naturally, there is a complement of electronic minders to keep the TL on the shiny black stuff. Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), Brake Assist and Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) are all standard. The brakes are particularly strong and will stop the car from 100 km/h in a short 36 metres.

Acura again borrows a page from BMW when it comes to interior execution, choosing a simple, uncluttered layout that is still a notch or two above the German automaker's typically Spartan affair. Perforated leather-trimmed seats, aluminum trim and wood accents imbue the TL cabin with an open, airy feeling. LED back-lit analogue instrumentation gives the driver easy access to information. The only area of the dashboard that is too busy with buttons is the centre stack, which, in the tester, held Acura's optional navigation system as well as the climate control and audio systems. Thankfully, there are redundant audio controls and cruise control on the steering wheel.

Honda is particularly proud of the new nav system's English/French voice recognition software, which it says includes approximately 8.7 million points of interest in Canada and the United States and recognizes 180 verbal commands.

The navigation system uses a large, eight-inch, multi-functional touch-screen display which provides crisp, clear map readouts.

The TL also offers as options several other new technologies, such as a HandsFreeLink Bluetooth wireless-linked telephone system and a DVD-audio sound system, which, I have been told by audiophile friends who have heard it, leaves goose bumps.

Taller drivers will find the TL's front-seat headroom and legroom more than acceptable. The eight-way power driver's bucket seat with two-way power-adjustable lumbar support proves exceedingly comfortable on longer journeys. Despite the slightly shorter length and wheelbase of the new TL as compared with the previous generation, a couple of rear-seat riders, at least those under six-feet-tall, should find the accommodations to their liking.

Primary safety features in the new car include dual front air bags, dual side air bags and side curtain air bags. For people who do a lot of night driving, xenon high-intensity discharge headlamps are standard.

There is no doubt in my mind the '04 TL surpasses the previous TL Type S in terms of handling, performance, refinement and features. And that means the new model rises to the top ranks among entry-level luxury sedans such as the BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 and Infiniti G35, all the more impressive for the TL considering it is front-wheel drive. Whether it is an affordable alternative to higher-end luxury cars depends on the importance placed on price -- the Acura starts at $40,800 -- versus technological sophistication, powertrain choices and panache -- yes, if it's the former; close but no cigar if it's the latter.

Is the new TL a driver's car? Let's just say I hated returning the keys to Honda.

THE SPECS

Type of vehicle: Front-wheel-drive, luxury sedan

Engine: 3.2L SOHC V6

Power: 270 hp at 6,200 rpm; 238 lb./ft. of torque at 5,000 rpm

Transmission: Five-speed manumatic

Brakes: Four-wheel disc with ABS

Tires: P235/45R17 all-season

Base price/as tested: $40,800/$44,000

Fuel economy, L/100 km: 11.6 city, 7.6 hwy.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Motorweek tests Acura TL - Acceleration inside...

They did say that acceleration times would have been better if the clutch was not as slippery.

0-60= 6.3 secs
1/4= 14.8 @ 96mph
60-0 = 115 feet !!!

Quoting from the TV Show:

"Surpisingly we found the stick feel a little rubbery"

"the front drive Acura TL proved as nimble and quick" as RWD sport sedans like the BMW 3 series and Cadillac CTS.

"save for some minor understeer it hammers through high speed lane changes"

"overall, the TL's rear end stays planted nicely and we forgive the TL's very mild body role"

"we said the last TL was the one of the best handling front drivers in the world and the new car is a step up from that"

"breaking performance is top notch too with 60 to zero stops at 115 feet. Our drivers were very impressed with" the....Brembo brakes..." results were comparable with some Porsches we tested"

The show praises the interior and how well equipped the TL is.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:58 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just saw finished watching that episode an hour ago. I test drove one last week and I was pretty impressed with everything the car had to offer...except for the rattle the car already had.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:58 PM
Not Fast Enough

i wonder what they mean by a slippery clutch, like the clutch was slipping?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:10 PM
///M POWER

thats a 6 speed right
Old 11-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

0-60 in 6.3 sec w/a 6 speed? Ima guess that engine's not really putting out 10hp more than a CL-S' motor.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
how much does this bitch weigh? I thought it would have def show better times than the 6-speed CLS.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:33 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by fahoumh
...except for the rattle the car already had.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

It should have been 1/4 mile in 14.3@99 MPH. then one claim that there is an improvement of 0.3s and 2 MPH.

Last I heard the CLS-6 will do 1/4 mile in 14.6s@97 MPH and this the official numbers...
Old 11-25-2003, 07:10 PM
Banned

guys I won't get all bent out of shape about those USELESS motorweek numbers! they are always WAY OFF!! they tested the '03 accord's 1/4mile as 16secs if I remember right. unfrotunately for them, they shouldn't have smoked that much crack because, BOY were they wrong! try 2.2seconds wrong, on average, for the auto alone!.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 03TL_PlaTinUM
guys I won't get all bent out of shape about those USELESS motorweek numbers! they are always WAY OFF!! they tested the '03 accord's 1/4mile as 16secs if I remember right. unfrotunately for them, they shouldn't have smoked that much crack because, BOY were they wrong! try 2.2seconds wrong, on average, for the auto alone!.
Would that mean that this test was wrong too?

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2147a.shtml
Old 11-26-2003, 06:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Habiib
Would that mean that this test was wrong too?

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2147a.shtml
I thought the 6sp in the new TL was lifted from the CL...but they seem to be describing it quite differently between the two reviews.

I'm going to reserve judgment on the TL and its performance until I see C&D, MT and Automobile review it and compare it.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:28 AM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by AcuraFan
I'm going to reserve judgment on the TL and its performance until I see C&D, MT and Automobile review it and compare it.
is there something wrong with testing it yourself?
Old 11-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fahoumh
is there something wrong with testing it yourself?
Ha ha...good point. I just mainly found it interesting that if, in fact, they are the same transmission...then why do they review it so differently in two different articles.

But yes, I'll get around to TDing the car sooner or later.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Shogun Assassin

Ha ha...good point. I just mainly found it interesting that if, in fact, they are the same transmission...then why do they review it so differently in two different articles.

But yes, I'll get around to TDing the car sooner or later.
that is interesting
Old 11-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by SpeedyV6
0-60 in 6.3 sec w/a 6 speed? Ima guess that engine's not really putting out 10hp more than a CL-S' motor.
The clutch was slipping as I wrote above.
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by SLY1TYPES
i wonder what they mean by a slippery clutch, like the clutch was slipping?
Yes.
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by darrinb
thats a 6 speed right
Right.
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
how much does this bitch weigh? I thought it would have def show better times than the 6-speed CLS.
Similar to our CLS.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 03TL_PlaTinUM
I agree. Motorweek has been very inconsistent with their acceleration tests.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I thought the 6sp in the new TL was lifted from the CL...but they seem to be describing it quite differently between the two reviews.

Same here.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:34 PM

Not surprised at all. 0-60 in 6.3 is plenty fast enough. Did they fix the 2 gay OD gears?
Old 11-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by gavriil
I agree. Motorweek has been very inconsistent with their acceleration tests.
If i recall correctly motorweek test their cars on 75/80 dragway. A close by track i used to go too. Let me start by saying that 75/80 is one of the worst tracks around our area. Very bad track prep and before the end of the 1/4mile point the road will start going up hill. My friends ACR viper went 11.8 at 118mph in MIR and 12.5 at 114mph in 75/80 so its this bad. My car went 12.7 at 111 at MIR before the cam and 13.0 at 109 in 75/80. I hope motorweek test their cars on a better track than 75/80 because that track will always give bad times.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Safety Car

MotorWeek Online is sponsored by

2004 Acura TL

Engine 3.2-liter single-overhead cam V6

Horsepower 270

Torque 238 lb feet

0-60 mph 6.3 seconds

1/4 mile 14.8 seconds @ 96 mph

60-0 mph 115 feet

EPA Mileage 19 mpg city
28 mpg highway

MotorWeek's
mileage loop 25 mpg
mixed city/highway

Keeping up in the luxury-performance sedan segment is never easy. You're competing with the likes of Audi, BMW, Jaguar, and others. But since it arrived for 1996, the Acura TL has been steadily carving itself a comfortable little niche as a high value over achiever. Well, for 2004, there is a new TL and a more aggressive strategy. No longer content to whittle away, Acura has given the latest TL the tools to cut into its rivals in a big way.

And they threw in some ''know-how'' too! Besides its obvious good looks and added muscle, the 2004 Acura TL was taught how to aptly handle that added glory.

Though based on the redesigned 2003 Honda Accord, the new TL receives an upgraded chassis that cites a nearly 24 percent boost in torsional rigidity. From tip to tail, the tauter lines and creases slice through its sleek and defined body. While wheelbase is similar, the TL is actually over 6 inches shorter than last year. The TL rides on a highly refined double-wishbone front and 5-link rear suspension. Honda's well-regarded torque sensing variable assist power steering and standard electronic stability control adds even more precision and security.

But the TL's sharpest sculpting lies beneath the hood. Its heavily revamped 3.2-liter single-overhead cam V6 not only delivers more horsepower, but more torque. With 270 horsepower surpassing last year's, and now extinct, high-performance TL Type-S, this TL also cranks out an elevated 238 pound-feet of torque.

Our test car was equipped with a close-ratio 6-speed manual that's packaged with a limited slip differential and higher rate springs. Surprisingly we found shift action a little rubbery. A 5-speed Sequential SportShift automatic is a no-cost option. Better acceleration numbers might have been posted if our 6-speed's on-off clutch wasn't so slippery. Yet the TL still managed to arrive at 60 in just 6.3 seconds. The quarter mile passes in 14.8 seconds at 96 miles-per-hour.

And though competing sports sedans like the BMW 3-Series and Cadillac CTS feature rear-wheel-drive systems for handling tenacity, the front drive Acura TL proved nearly as nimble and quick. Save for some minor understeer, the TL hammers through even high speed lane changes. Overall the rear end stays planted nicely, and we forgive the TL's very mild body roll. We said the last TL was one of the best handling front-drivers in the world, and the new car is a step up from that.

Braking performance is top-notch, too, with 60-to-0 stops averaging a short, neat 115 feet. Our drivers were very impressed with our 6-speed's all-disc ABS brakes with Brembo front calipers. Results are comparable to some recent Porsche's we've tested.

Typical of Acura luxury-sports style, the TL's nicely understated cabin is comfortable, roomy, and very well equipped, including sunroof. The triple recessed gauge-pods are deep set behind the tilt and telescoping wheel. The shapely dash is trimmed in real aluminum, while bright-blue lights and wood patterns cement the cockpit's up-level appeal. Dual zone climate controls, an industry first 225 watt 5.1 DVD-based surround-sound audio system with XM satellite radio receiver and Bluetooth hands-free phone setup, adorn the TL's center stack. Voice activated navigation is the only option.

Rear seat room is seldom a high point of popular sport sedans, but with its front-drive packaging the new TL scores very well in comfort. To ensure safety as well as comfort, Acura has fitted the cabin with seat-mounted side airbags for front occupants and side curtain airbags for front and rear passengers.

The shorter length took its toll, however, on trunk space. It shrinks from 14.3 cubic feet to 12.5. But, to make room for longer items, there is a lockable rear-seat pass-through to help compensate.

And something TL drivers won't have to compensate for is fuel economy. EPA estimates are 19 city and 28 highway. Our manual raked in 25 miles-per-gallon in a test loop. Impressive for any sporty sedan.

And, like the previous TLs, the all new 2004 edition proves to be a bargain, especially with all its added perks and performance. The base price for both the automatic and manual is $33,195. With the added NAV system the price jumps to $35,195.

The first generation TL was the car that saved the Acura franchise by offering more luxury and performance sedan for the money than any rival. With new glitz and glam, we feel that the even more capable 2004 Acura TL will not only add many more converts to Honda's premium brand, but it raises the bar competitors must leap to ear-bleeding heights.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Shogun Assassin

That is exactly what that soul patch, Jon Davis, said....word for word. I could even hear his annoying voice when I was reading it!
Old 11-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Fast Gold
If i recall correctly motorweek test their cars on 75/80 dragway. A close by track i used to go too. Let me start by saying that 75/80 is one of the worst tracks around our area. Very bad track prep and before the end of the 1/4mile point the road will start going up hill. My friends ACR viper went 11.8 at 118mph in MIR and 12.5 at 114mph in 75/80 so its this bad. My car went 12.7 at 111 at MIR before the cam and 13.0 at 109 in 75/80. I hope motorweek test their cars on a better track than 75/80 because that track will always give bad times.
Hmm...that might explain it then.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:04 PM
Safety Car

January Car and Driver

6-Speed TL with Brembo Package

0-60MPH @ 5.7 sec
5-60MPH @ 6.3 sec
1/4 mile = 14.4 sec @ 99MPH
top speed ( limited ) @ 152MPH
300ft skidpad @ 0.81g
70-0MPH @ 189 ft

i find the motorweek braking distance unpossible if its braking 189 from 70, would have to be in the 150's.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:04 AM

Oh lord, now this is be the ONLY test Acura owners quote, unless Road and Track gets 0-60 in 5.5 sec. I tell ya what, that is very swift and according to C&D a good 1/2 sec faster, very impressive.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by heyitsme
January Car and Driver

6-Speed TL with Brembo Package

0-60MPH @ 5.7 sec
5-60MPH @ 6.3 sec
1/4 mile = 14.4 sec @ 99MPH
top speed ( limited ) @ 152MPH
300ft skidpad @ 0.81g
70-0MPH @ 189 ft

i find the motorweek braking distance unpossible if its braking 189 from 70, would have to be in the 150's.

Nice numbers.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

nice numbers, but is it really mod friendly like the CLS/TLS?

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News