Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Skyhawk
What a moron:

"Herculian"?

"Zenon"?

"discreet"?

This guy makes his living writing?
Ya I noticed that too. Maybe xenon is spelled differently over in Canada.

Either way this car is great
Old 09-08-2003, 10:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
So is Canada getting the A-Spec? Will we have everything that makes the new TL an A-Spec available in Canada?

By the sound of things, I'd have to say No. He made no mention of available 18's and a lowering?

Just so I'm clear we're getting

Auto without Navi
Auto with Navi
6 speed without Navi and with Brembo's and Summer Tires

No 6 speed with Navi
No A-Spec?

Am I missing anything?
Old 09-08-2003, 10:57 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bowersan
FINALLY acura is offering Navi up here in canada.... i've been meaning to say this - IT'S ABOUT FREAKING TIME. EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER offers navi here..... sigh. why is honda always last to do things like this.. I'm willing to bet that now that the TL navi system is configured to canadian specifications that next year the TSX will be offered with Navi...

J.

The reason we dont get navi so easily up here is basically because our goverment makes it very very hard to get the map info for canada, especially accurate info. Its much easier to do in the US, as the information is cheaply available.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

fdl, every other high end car manf has offered Navi in Canada a few years now? so how can you explain Honda not offering it?
Old 09-08-2003, 11:05 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by domn
fdl, every other high end car manf has offered Navi in Canada a few years now? so how can you explain Honda not offering it?
I'm not saying its not possible, just that its much harder to do in canada and also more expensive. (I've run into the same problem looking for a handheld GPS for Canada).

So these may be some of the reasons Honda has passed on offering this up to now.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Old 09-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Instructor

That looks lowered?? I hate when car companies alter their cars for photos
Old 09-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Instructor

I like the interior better in these shots though...
Old 09-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Check out the last piece of info on the article :

"Prices are not yet finalized but Acura fully expects to bring the '04 TL in at about the same price as the previous Type S ($42,000) despite its more extensive standard equipment list and serious boost in performance. " Remember, that's Canadian dollars.. the point is Acura fully expects to bring the '04 TL in at about the same price as the previous TL-S!

I have been wondering about one thing for a while. A while back Justin was talking about some surprise for the TL and now that the embargo has been lifted, I don't see anything which was not already known that would represent a surprise. The only thing left is PRICE!

Now wouldn't it be sweet if that was the surprise! This FANTASTIC car now comes at a FANTASTIC price! It's not unlike Honda/Acura to have very competitive prices - look at the Odyssey and the list of features for the price - don't even try to get those features from a different manufacturer without paying thousands more!

Old 09-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by LurchTSX
That looks lowered?? I hate when car companies alter their cars for photos
It might be the A-Spec version, that is lowered..
Old 09-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

That two-tone quartz interior is HOT, IMO.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Yes I believe that the lack of significant contrast between the aluminum and the lighter grey section of the two tone quartz offers a better color blend than does the high contrast between the pure ebony and aluminum.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Peter7777
Yes I believe that the lack of significant contrast between the aluminum and the lighter grey section of the two tone quartz offers a better color blend than does the high contrast between the pure ebony and aluminum.
I would have to agree, I think the quartz is the most attractive of the interior colors. Yet, I still would like to see a full interior shot of the camel and parchment interiors, but I'm not sure of the "wood" though.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by Skyhawk
What a moron:

"Herculian"?

"Zenon"?

"discreet"?

This guy makes his living writing?
Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. Also notice this sentence: "It’s screen displays more than 8.7 million points of interest and recognizes 180 verbal commands."

He doesn't know the difference between it's and its.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:06 AM
Race Director

Heres some more Canadian Reviews:

http://www.thetorontostar.com/NASApp...l=969048871196

http://www.canadianautoreview.com/2004_acura_tl.htm

The Second LINK HAS TONS OF SPECS!!!

Old 09-09-2003, 02:10 AM
Race Director

if you look at the picture I posted, the keyless entry remote is extremely slim, NICE!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:01 AM
Suzuka Master

The plood did not look great to me.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Racer

I agree that the Quartz appears to have the best look especially with the aluminum trim which is used with all interior colors. I was looking at the Silver/Ebony as my second choice, but after seeing the full view photo of the Ebony, I think I would opt for the Silver/Quartz. More photos of the various interiors - especially Camel, would realy help me solidify my choice.

On order 04 TL Abyss/Quartz 6MT
Old 09-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Talking Toronto Star: Acura's Stylish New Status Symbol Scores

http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/Cont...=1062673329613

9/6/03

Acura's stylish new status symbol scores
Honda's upscale marque aims high

3.2TL competition for luxury icons

JIM KENZIE
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

SEATTLE—Pecking order: It's a fact of life, at almost every level. No more so than in the luxury car business.

There are ultra-luxury brands, which brook no argument, such as Rolls-Royce, Bentley or Ferrari.

Then there are the more mainstream volume luxury brands: Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus and Jaguar are generally considered Tier One. Cadillac was once, and is aiming to be so again. Audi and Infiniti are aspiring to that status.

So is Acura, the upscale division of Honda.

Specifically, Acura feels the new 2004 3.2TL sedan has the performance, craftsmanship and equipment to compete with the Audi A6, BMW 5-Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

It's a lofty and laudable goal, but can Acura achieve it? And even if it does, can the 3.2TL pass the status test?

Erik Berkman, who was the "Large Project Leader" (Honda-speak for chief engineer) on the new car as well as the old, says he was very pleased with the success of the previous model. Launched in the fall of 1998, it was Canadian Car of the Year for 1999, and rapidly became a top seller in its class.

But Berkman is also candid about what he feels were drawbacks to that car: "We needed to create more emotional styling — that was the biggest knock on the old car," he says. "So we decided: No more wolf in sheep's clothing. We also needed more acceleration, and even better handling and braking."

Designer Jon Ikeda was responsible for the car's exterior. He was looking for a dynamic form, a great stance and precision detailing. He must also like Alfa Romeos, judging from those sleek, skinny headlights.

Short overhangs and a wider body created more space inside, even if the car doesn't look that big. LED instrument lighting and perforated leather upholstery give a modern look to the interior.

But what I noticed first was a shift gate for the five-speed automatic transmission in which the lever actually stops in Drive instead of sliding directly into Fourth. How else would you do it, you might well ask, given that 99 per cent of anyone's driving is done in Drive, and hence that should obviously be the "default" position?

Exactly. But it's taken Honda at least 20 years to figure it out.

And the sunroof switch? On the ceiling, near the sunroof itself, where it belongs. Again, a rarity for a Honda.

If that's not enough, Daytime Running Lights on Canadian-spec TLs take up the slots where fog lights would otherwise go. Hallelujah!

What more do you need to know about this car to love it?

Well, let's talk about that acceleration. The 3.2-litre V6 has been beefed up to produce a stunning 270 horsepower at 6200 rpm, 10 more than last year's performance-oriented TL Type S. The 2004 car also has more torque across the rev range than last year's Type S, peaking at 238 lb.-ft. at 5000 rpm.

The automatic transmission has advanced circuitry that holds onto a gear if the driver brakes into a corner, to avoid upsetting the chassis with an upshift.

From Drive, you can select Low, which will automatically downshift as the car slows, to maximize engine braking. Should it get down to First and the driver accelerates again, it will upshift to Second if revs approach the red line, but for further upshifts the driver must re-select Drive.

It all works more naturally than this sounds. If it's still too confusing, you can either leave it in Drive or slide the lever to the left and do all the gear selection manually.

MacPherson struts may be good enough for some of the German high-performance cars, but Acura uses classic double-wishbone front suspension and a five-link strut independent design at the rear.

Speed-sensitive torque-sensing variable-assist steering delivers low effort at low speeds, better feel at high speeds.

Four-wheel disc brakes have ABS, of course, plus electronic brake force distribution to ensure maximum rear brake application prior to ABS activation. Also, Brake Assist, which learns the driver's braking patterns, and senses the speed, not just the force, of pedal application. If it senses a more-panic-than-usual scenario, it automatically applies maximum brake pressure.

Dynamic Stability Control — called Vehicle Stability Assist here — helps maintain control if the driver overcooks it, or gets surprised by changes in the road surface.

A "Dynamic Package" model offers a six-speed manual transmission, limited-slip differential, summer performance tires and Italian-made Brembo four-piston front calipers and rotors.

I thought I knew most of the neat roads in the Olympia Peninsula, across Puget Sound from Seattle. Nope — the Acura folks found some I had never seen before. They proved to be an ideal location to try out a good-handling car.

The Acura 3.2TL needs to be revved: that five-grand torque peak rpm figure doesn't lie. But the rewards are high — like all Honda engines, this one doesn't mind at all.

The automatic transmission shifts smoothly and quickly. Honda's manual-automatic shifters have long been the standard others strive to reach. The six-speed manual isn't quite as successful: as in the Accord Coupe, it might take you a while to get used to the odd clutch take-up.

Without taking the car on a racetrack, it would be difficult to determine if there are any handling deficiencies. This thing goes where you point it, and sticks like yolk to your breakfast plate. Yet ride quality is well within the luxury car envelope.

Luxury cars mean luxury features, and the TL doesn't disappoint here either.

Elliot Shiner, famed recording engineer (Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan), provided his expertise in fine-tuning the new Panasonic premium audio system, with six channels of output providing true surround sound through eight speakers. There aren't a lot of DVD-A compatible discs out there, but the numbers are growing. The sound is sensational.

The 3.2TL will also be available in a "Navi" model with satellite navigation system and voice-recognition software.

Navi and Dynamic Package models also have Bluetooth capability, so various compatible electronic devices can communicate wirelessly. Some newer cellphones can then have their calls played through the car's audio system; the driver can answer them in hands-free mode.

Prices haven't been released for the 2004 Acura 3.2TL yet, but they're expected to run from the low- to mid-$40,000.

For this, you'll get a handsome car with interior space, power, handling, comfort, quality, technology and features that are at least competitive with other cars costing thousands more.

That status thing? Usually that means being able to charge a premium price.

Is Acura being a little shy here?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

VtecMW, where are you getting all these Canadian links to TL articles? Stay on your side of the border.

Does'nt anyone in the US do car reviews
Old 09-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by domn
VtecMW, where are you getting all these Canadian links to TL articles? Stay on your side of the border.

Does'nt anyone in the US do car reviews
Hey, you can't question my love for Canada at least! Yeah, we do car reviews in the US. We spend more time complaining about them though. So, we rely on our neighbors to the North to tell us the real deal before a model gets grouped in with the pack.

I found the links on vtec.net. I have to keep the TSX-TL community informed of the latest updates. It was only yesterday that people were petitioning to evict us!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

They call it the 3.2 TL
Old 09-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

oh, for the Canadian buyers you can get the Dynamic Package with or without Navi. Hope that settles the confusion.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:18 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by ryder1650
They call it the 3.2 TL
Yeah, that stood out to me as well. I much prefer the sound of just "TL".
Old 09-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by ryder1650
They call it the 3.2 TL
I think that's an error.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

In Canada the old TL was called 3.2 TL and I thought the same held true in the states. So I'm guessing he just presumed it would still be called 3.2 TL eventhough Acura has officially changed the name to TL.

BTW I just finished reading that review and you guys in the US should know that Jim Kenzie is a well respected Auto journalists who usually knows what he's talking about and tells it like it is. I least thats my impression. He appears in a weekly show up here called Motoring 2003 and usually has some insightful and well thought out comments and views about the automotive world. So him liking the TL says alot IMO.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Racer

Prices haven't been released for the 2004 Acura 3.2TL yet, but they're expected to run from the low- to mid-$40,000.
Oh, sweet. So that's like $5,000 US? </obligatory Canadia joke>
Old 09-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Instructor

LOL! $5K US = $40K CDN. Don't forget that's with taxes!

It hurts me to think about paying around 13% sales taxes on a $40K car! I used to pay it before I deserted to sunny California!

Bonjour Canada! Sorry, you can't get my tax dollars!

Old 09-10-2003, 08:42 AM
10th Gear

VtecMW....

Sorry, but the canadian market Dynamic model has the bluetooth, but no navi available. No XM radio available at all either!

My source estimates the Dynamic at $44k Canadian
Old 09-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by Deak69
VtecMW....

Sorry, but the canadian market Dynamic model has the bluetooth, but no navi available. No XM radio available at all either!

My source estimates the Dynamic at $44k Canadian
Thanks for the correction. Sucks for Canada, however.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:50 AM
10th Gear

I agree... I want the 6MT, but would love to play with the Navi too...fist time Acura has sent the GPS to Canada!
Old 09-13-2003, 12:33 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

The Vancouver Sun: New Acura aims at younger buyers

This article is more of an introduction than a review.

Here's the link:

http://autos.canada.com/vancouver/bu...4-BB60FD285AE8

Although Acura, Honda's upscale division, has enjoyed fairly healthy sales over the past few years, its customer base is getting older.

At least, that's the thinking within the Acura brain trust. Solution: take an existing model, restyle it, give it more power, enhance its driveability, kick the electronics up a notch and aim it at younger buyers.

Thus, the 2004 Acura TL, which, according to the company's marketing manager, Dave Gardner, is meant to appeal to buyers in the mid-40s age group, as opposed to the 53-and-up buyers who purchased the previous generation of TL.

Not that there was anything wrong with the last version. It was priced well, easy on the eyes - if a little stodgy - immensely driveable and sold in very respectable numbers. (At least 20 per cent of all Acura sales were accounted for by the TL.)

But the old must make way for the new, and the '04 TL has been redone from stem to stern, with an upgraded engine, redeveloped chassis and a slew of electronic mod cons.

The engine for the TL remains Honda/Acura's tried-and-true Vtec V-6, but gets a power boost to 270 horsepower at 6,200 r.p.m, up 45 h.p. over '03. It also gets a new drive-by-wire throttle system, new internals and a 168,000-kilometre "maintenance minder" that continuously monitors the engine's functions and operation conditions.

A five-speed automatic with manual shift mode is the standard gearbox, but a close-ratio six-speed manual is also available, a first for this model. This feature alone is bound to attract driving enthusiasts and makes the new TL much more entertaining to drive, especially with the limited-slip differential option.

Handling is also upgraded, with double wishbones front and back, and stabilizer bars. The new TL is definitely a more "tossable" car than its predecessor, especially with the "Dynamic" package, which has thicker stabilizer bars and upgraded brakes.

But where the new TL really departs from the old is in the styling department. With its high rear deck and wedgy body style, the latest TL was, according to Acura's principal stylist, Jon Ikeda, meant to be the four-wheeled equivalent of the ultimate athlete.

And which particular sport did they choose to emulate? Soccer. Ikeda says world-class soccer players, such as David Beckham, were his inspiration. The new Acura also has a "wedge motif," according to executive engineer and project leader Eric Berkman.

Whatever. It is more contemporary looking than the '03 model and will go a long way to bringing in the younger buyers that Acura is looking for.

The new TL is also loaded to the gunwales with electronic goodies. Among other things, it has an electronic vehicle assist program, which will slow the vehicle down if the driver gets in over his/her head, mainly through the use of the ABS system.

It also has an information display centre (in English and French), which gives the driver access to various systems, such as the tape/CD/DVD player, headlight auto-off timer and, for true technophiles, a hands-free audio control system based on Bluetooth technology. Basically, this allows the driver to use the cellphone without having to touch it. Just dial, adjust the volume and so on through vocal commands.

During the launch of the new TL in Seattle, one of Acura's engineers demonstrated this system by making reservations for the opera - in Montreal. Needless to say, the TL also has an optional GPS navigation system, also usable in English or French.

The TL is pretty safe, too; as well as the vehicle assist system, it has anti-locking brakes, a brake force distribution system, front, side and side-curtain air bags for both driver and passenger, and built-in seat anchors for children's seats.

On the road, the new TL has a definite sporty flavour and can handle itself pretty well through high and low-speed corners. Along with its slightly down-market stablemate, the TSX, it's probably the most neutral-handling front-drive sedan produced by Acura. It has that intangible "drive me" flavour Honda does so well.

Fuel economy, not to be understated these days, is pegged at 15 L/100 km (19 m.p.g.) in the city, and 10 L/100 km (29 m.p.g.). These are preliminary U.S. figures, by the way, so Canadian numbers will be slightly higher.

Price for the new TL has yet to be announced, but it'll start somewhere in the low-$40,000 neighbourhood, according to Acura. Look for it in the showrooms by mid-October.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:34 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Hey domn, there's another one for ya!
Old 09-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Advanced

"Price for the new TL has yet to be announced, but it'll start somewhere in the low-$40,000 neighbourhood, according to Acura. Look for it in the showrooms by mid-October."

hmn...seems like the price is not that expensive for canadian, type-s is sold at $42750 and base tl is sold at around $38000 and the new tl will be somewhere between?? cool ! i like that
(all prices are in $CA )
Old 09-13-2003, 03:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by VtecMW
Hey domn, there's another one for ya!
I'm going to see if I can get the Canadian press to put an embargo on all TL reviews until the car is in dealer showrooms and VtecMW already has his so he won't need another review.

I'm still wondering wheather or not they do car reviews in the USA
Old 09-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Re: The Vancouver Sun: New Acura aims at younger buyers

Originally posted by Vancouver Sun
Thus, the 2004 Acura TL, which, according to the company's marketing manager, Dave Gardner, is meant to appeal to buyers in the mid-40s age group, as opposed to the 53-and-up buyers who purchased the previous generation of TL.
You mean it's not marketed at me? (Age 35). Damm, no wonder I see so many "older" folks in TLs, that's who buys them!
Old 09-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Advanced

TL Brochure out yet ?

September

Week of Sept 1-TL mini site live on acura.com
Week of Sept 10-TL Ride and Drive begins
Week of Sept 15-TL brochure(Initial delivery) - ?

anyone hear anything or better yet see anything?

-jjstokes
Old 09-15-2003, 03:43 PM
Race Director

It will be out sometime by thursday
Old 09-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs down

I just called my sales guy, and he does not know when they're getting the brochures (as usual...)
Old 09-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

my sales guy said he will contact me as soon as they come in

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News