Acura: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I started with Acura in early 1996. I remember those days well, and not through rose colored glasses. i seem to recall $5000 dealer cash to move out the old Legends that nobody wanted.
I started with my '90 Integra in mid-1989, and this 2G Integra had been selling like hotcakes.

I still remembered that the Lexus LS400 launched a year later was selling for ~ $40K. This V8 RWD sedan was the signature to Lexus' success to become a Tier-1 luxury brand. That was 20 years ago. Fast forward 20 years, and Acura still doesn't have a single V8 RWD sedan, and is still getting stuck as a entry-level luxury brand.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I started with my '90 Integra in mid-1989, and this 2G Integra had been selling like hotcakes.
Most regard the 2G Ingegra as a better product than the 3G. Interior switchgear had a better feel and the looks were less polarizing.

As for V8 RWD. Um Yeah, I know that Acura doesn't have one. But that is not really relevant to what we were talking about with regards to viewing product with rose colored glasses.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:21 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
So what is TMV than? Why one car on average more expensive than the other by $10K and not even with Six cylinder engine.

0.9 to 2.9% harld make differnce. May be few dollars a month. No one makes $40K decision for such small difference unless a car company gives 84months loans.
Because one car is overpriced, while the other one is not?

If you just do it simply, for a $40000 car, at 0.9%, you pay about $360 in interest, if interest rate is at 2.9%, you pay $1160. Again, this is only a very simple and conservative method, and ignores the TVM and some other factors that will make the difference even larger. And like I said, it's not a huge difference, but things like this is enough to lure some more customers.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Because one car is overpriced, while the other one is not?

If you just do it simply, for a $40000 car, at 0.9%, you pay about $360 in interest, if interest rate is at 2.9%, you pay $1160. Again, this is only a very simple and conservative method, and ignores the TVM and some other factors that will make the difference even larger. And like I said, it's not a huge difference, but things like this is enough to lure some more customers.
I had amortization calculator for interest rates and time period. There isnt a big difference between 0.9% and 2.9% if you are looking at loans for 36 to 60 months. and certainly not for influencing buying a car in $45K TMV.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:15 AM
Suzuka Master

and certainly not for influencing buying a car in $45K TMV.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Just because the car costs 45K does not mean that the buyer isn't pinching every penny. Some of these people are the most nit-picky clients we have. I'm not passing judgment on this, as it is every clients right to do so (or not to do so). But you are dead wrong if you think a few hundred dollars doesn't matter. Wrong, wrong, wrong, yet again.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ Agree. Reality is that other circumstances and personality are what dictate what $ amount matters. Some people see it as a game and aren't happy leaving any money on the table (usually younger buyers). Others are just looking for a fair deal and happy with the salesman making a buck on the deal. Plus lets remember many people buying a $45k car realistically should be buying a $25k car. For them every penny matters because they'll be eating p&j sandwiches every day to make the payment
Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Colin
You have no idea what you're talking about. Just because the car costs 45K does not mean that the buyer isn't pinching every penny. Some of these people are the most nit-picky clients we have. I'm not passing judgment on this, as it is every clients right to do so (or not to do so). But you are dead wrong if you think a few hundred dollars doesn't matter. Wrong, wrong, wrong, yet again.
The only car in Acura lineup with TMV of $45K is RL or Minivan MDX which is not even a SUV. These are mostly utility buyers. not a performance sedan with highly customized options.
You are mistaken that Audi buyers are the same as Acura. 95% of Audi buyers have AWD while 20% of Acura buyers are AWD.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Audi-s...guements-7299/
Audi has the wealthiest buyers on average in terms of income. They make the finest interiors in the entire auto industry and have done so for quite some time. Their awards for interior supremacy only help to further soldiify and justify this claim
Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi has the wealthiest buyers on average in terms of income. They make the finest interiors in the entire auto industry and have done so for quite some time. Their awards for interior supremacy only help to further soldiify and justify this claim
Do you realize that link is just some guy's opinion posted on a blog and no sources are cited? It has no more legitimacy than anything written in this thread.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
The only car in Acura lineup with TMV of $45K is RL or Minivan MDX which is not even a SUV. These are mostly utility buyers. not a performance sedan with highly customized options.
You are mistaken that Audi buyers are the same as Acura. 95% of Audi buyers have AWD while 20% of Acura buyers are AWD.

You sing Audi's praises quite a bit. I am just curious why you didn't end up with an A4 instead of your TSX? If a $40K four cylinder is out of your price range then I understand I wouldn't put that down for a 2.0T either. I love Audi's styling don't get me wrong, but you seem to be riding those nuts hard.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JD23
Do you realize that link is just some guy's opinion posted on a blog and no sources are cited? It has no more legitimacy than anything written in this thread.
surely it was opinion. It is survey from 2007. with data gathering from prior years. SUV not included as Audi didnot had SUV.

MB has S and E class as significant %age those times.

http://images.forbes.com/adinfo/ForbesAutosMediaKit.pdf

Cars
Porsche $187,705
Mercedes-Benz $162,824
Jaguar $150,587
BMW $148,992
Lexus $141,355
Audi $153,746
Saab $134,315
Infiniti $128,753
Volvo $133,545
Acura $118,830
Average: $146,065
Old 05-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
You sing Audi's praises quite a bit. I am just curious why you didn't end up with an A4 instead of your TSX? If a $40K four cylinder is out of your price range then I understand I wouldn't put that down for a 2.0T either. I love Audi's styling don't get me wrong, but you seem to be riding those nuts hard.
I am big supporter of TSX. It is the only tier-1 product in Acura line up. Excellent drag cd of 0.26 for its size with refined quiet ride.

Others are just stating facts.

1. Audi is the only big luxury maker in profit for current quarter.
2. they sell the most expensive 4cylinder line up. 4cylinder and Tier-1 not mutually exclusive.
3. they are now segment leader in EU/China.
4. They sell the most AWD luxury vehicles.
5. They have the largest pipeline of new models coming up.
6. It is matter of time this reality will catch up in US market.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

All buyers are the same when it comes to negotiation and what they pay or don't pay. It does not matter what brand they are buying. People who are wealthy did no get that way by being foolish with their money.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
I am big supporter of TSX. It is the only tier-1 product in Acura line up. Excellent drag cd of 0.26 for its size with refined quiet ride.

2. they sell the most expensive 4cylinder line up. 4cylinder and Tier-1 not mutually exclusive.
Referring back to my original question, what compelled you to buy a TSX over an A4? Is it because you wanted a Tier-1 Honda product over a Tier-1 VAG product?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Referring back to my original question, what compelled you to buy a TSX over an A4? Is it because you wanted a Tier-1 Honda product over a Tier-1 VAG product?
I have to buy a car navigation system, white color and there certain other things. The kind of customziable A4 was simply not available in short time and i didnot want to spend more money on my older TSX to maintain it in decent shape. So better sit in new TSX.
Interest rates or method of financing has zero effect on my decision as it isnt alot of differnce.
my TSX isnt cheap either as it has 18 inch rim/Paint and & dent protection package for 4 years. let see what comes out for TSX MMC or Q5 diesel package.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

For starter, I'd trust Colin more about that 0.9% vs 2.9% debate....he has been in the business for many years..he knows what people want.

I don't know why you said this, "You are mistaken that Audi buyers are the same as Acura." when Colin didn't even mention Audi in the post you quoted.

I also don't know where you got this from, "20% of Acura buyers are AWD." A quick look at April sales and it says that Acura sold 5534 TL's and TSX's, and 3279 RDX, RL, and MDX. Do the math, and you will see that at least 37% of the buyers bought AWD Acuras. And yes, that's assuming ALL the TL's sold were FWD, which is far from truth. But that's enough to prove that your statement is wrong, as usual. May be it's true years before. But hello, welcome to 2009.

And you do realize that we all know Acura doesn't have the Tier-1 image right? That's what we have been talking about for a long time, and once again, the current Acura products are not Tier-1 cars. I thought that's pretty clear, but you seem to believe that we think Acura = Tier-1. Once again, no, we, or most of us, do not believe that.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:58 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey

Plus lets remember many people buying a $45k car realistically should be buying a $25k car. For them every penny matters because they'll be eating p&j sandwiches every day to make the payment
Yes, and this current financial crunch has inevitably flushed these people all out. Now only those who can really afford a $45K car buys a $45K car.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Yes, and this current financial crunch has inevitably flushed these people all out. Now only those who can really afford a $45K car buys a $45K car.
And there seem to be fewer of them.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:08 PM
6G TLX-S

Very much agree. Audi adds new models just like with a magic wand. Audi's upcoming model schedule is transparent and timely. Acura is very model range limited. Where is your 2-door coupe, Acura ?

In addition, the Audi R8 has given much boost to the Audi brand image. But Acura ? Why on earth did you axe the NSX-replacement for the much needed boost to it's dangling brand image.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

For starter, I'd trust Colin more about that 0.9% vs 2.9% debate....he has been in the business for many years..he knows what people want.
so you would buy a $45K TMV car with 0.9% interest rate but not (TL) with 2.9% interest rate for $35K TMV. Just for pure financial point of view it does not make sense unless you have that 84 month loan. I am not even going into subjective considerations. like Style, size, performance, options, insurance, maintaiannce, income values of demogrphic.
The only thing matters in sales of luxury vehciles is 0.9% financing
I don't know why you said this, "You are mistaken that Audi buyers are the same as Acura." when Colin didn't even mention Audi in the post you quoted.
He is trying to extrapolate from Acura sales experiance other luxury brands.
I also don't know where you got this from, "20% of Acura buyers are AWD." A quick look at April sales and it says that Acura sold 5534 TL's and TSX's, and 3279 RDX, RL, and MDX. Do the math, and you will see that at least 37% of the buyers bought AWD Acuras. And yes, that's assuming ALL the TL's sold were FWD, which is far from truth. But that's enough to prove that your statement is wrong, as usual. May be it's true years before. But hello, welcome to 2009.
Look at long term trends. current sales collapse make number distorted.
And you do realize that we all know Acura doesn't have the Tier-1 image right? That's what we have been talking about for a long time, and once again, the current Acura products are not Tier-1 cars. I thought that's pretty clear, but you seem to believe that we think Acura = Tier-1. Once again, no, we, or most of us, do not believe that.
I merely stating that 6 or 8 cylinders are not alone necessary to be Tier-1.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Instructor

surely it was opinion. It is survey from 2007. with data gathering from prior years. SUV not included as Audi didnot had SUV.

MB has S and E class as significant %age those times.

http://images.forbes.com/adinfo/ForbesAutosMediaKit.pdf

Cars
Porsche $187,705
Mercedes-Benz $162,824
Jaguar $150,587
BMW $148,992
Lexus $141,355
Audi $153,746
Saab $134,315
Infiniti $128,753
Volvo $133,545
Acura $118,830
Average: $146,065

Wow, this list is very interesting; assuming these are income averages and new car sales, it shows how most Americans live -or were living- beyond their means.
And I agree, regardless of what you see in the movies, wealthy people who can really afford a >$45K car are usually more picky money-wise, that's why they have money to begin with.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cai06
Wow, this list is very interesting; assuming these are income averages and new car sales, it shows how most Americans live -or were living- beyond their means.
And I agree, regardless of what you see in the movies, wealthy people who can really afford a >$45K car are usually more picky money-wise, that's why they have money to begin with.
I am not sure people were living beyond there means. On the coasts cost of lving is such that if two members of houshold work they have to make alteast $100k combine to have decent living. with all that student loans, healths, housing costs. Automobile is way down the priority. Those who are attracted to brands like Audi are not due to 0.9% financing or few discounts. They believe in brand to provide required satisfication compared to others.

It is high performance and unique features comparision with similar brand. They guy is not even considering a MB product.
TL performance and size is of SUV not of sport sedan. It can only be shoped against lexus ES
14% dicount on $50K product without options is $7K & add the cost of option. u go up to $50k again.
So it does not even matter if there is 0.9% financing as the other product is in $10K range less.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Content/Ro...r_test_Audi_S4

I was originally planning to buy an E90 V8 BMW M3, but after test-driving the M3 and the 335i I decided that I couldn’t justify the 50% price premium over the 335i.

About a week before I was ready to order the 335i I read an article about the forthcoming Audi S4. I decided to wait for S4 pricing before ordering the 335i.

When Audi announced the S4 UK pricing at £34 255, more than £3 000 cheaper than the B7 S4 and £580 below BMWs E90 335i M Sport, I almost couldn’t believe my eyes as the B8 S4 is faster than both of them and has a higher standard spec than the Bimmer.
The S4 also has a number of options that I liked that were not available on the 335i sedan, most notably the 7-speed dual-clutch transmission (amazingly almost £200 cheaper than a BMW auto box), the super sport seats, the sport differential and the electronic damper control that makes riding around on 19-inch wheels bearable.

Pricing got even better as I managed to negotiate a credit-crunch-sized 14% discount, making the asking price less than £30 000 before optional extras.
To answer my original question: Yes, it’s better than a 335i, the Audi S4 is the new benchmark in this category. Why would you pay more for less performance and a lower spec? I can’t wait to see what Audi do with the B8 RS4/RS5.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:45 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

so you would buy a $45K TMV car with 0.9% interest rate but not (TL) with 2.9% interest rate for $35K TMV. Just for pure financial point of view it does not make sense unless you have that 84 month loan. I am not even going into subjective considerations. like Style, size, performance, options, insurance, maintaiannce, income values of demogrphic.
The only thing matters in sales of luxury vehciles is 0.9% financing

He is trying to extrapolate from Acura sales experiance other luxury brands.

Look at long term trends. current sales collapse make number distorted.

I merely stating that 6 or 8 cylinders are not alone necessary to be Tier-1.
Errmm..did I say I would buy a $45k TMV car? I don't think so. Sorry, I'm only a student and I don't have that kind of money.

One of the many things that matters in sales of luxury vehicles at this point of time is low interest rate financing.

Long term trends? In 2000, Acura didn't sell a single AWD vehicle. And in 2009 April at least 37% of the vehicles sold were AWD. And you are right, current sales collapse make numbers distorted. In fact, back in April 2008, Acura sold at least 6132 AWD cars, out of 13025 vehicles sold, or 47% sold were AWD vehicles for Acura in April 2008. So yup, you are right, there's a steady growth of AWD-equipped Acura vehicles up until last year, then the economy tanked, and that number also went down.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Pro

Long term trends? In 2000, Acura didn't sell a single AWD vehicle. And in 2009 April at least 37% of the vehicles sold were AWD. And you are right, current sales collapse make numbers distorted. In fact, back in April 2008, Acura sold at least 6132 AWD cars, out of 13025 vehicles sold, or 47% sold were AWD vehicles for Acura in April 2008. So yup, you are right, there's a steady growth of AWD-equipped Acura vehicles up until last year, then the economy tanked, and that number also went down.
Stop making logical arguments supported by quantitative evidence.There is no place for that in this thread.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Stop making logical arguments supported by quantitative evidence.There is no place for that in this thread.
It seems ssftsx has his mind made up, his opinions are OBVIOUSLY more accurate than reality.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_10882187", true); </SCRIPT>
Old 05-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Every thread he hijacks ends up the same. Let me summarize:

1) Audi and VW are great and can do now wrong (ignores reliability ratings and sales numbers)

2) Acura sucks at everything and is not Tier 1 (With one exception)

3) Exception: The Acura TSX (his car) is the only Tier 1 Acura (ignores that Acura has stated that they are not there yet)

Like a Boy in a Bubble!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

JD23..I keep on making the same mistake...lol....
Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! SSFTSX's posts make my head spin!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Instructor

2010 Acura coupe

From Autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/25/r...2010/#comments

Rumor on two continents – Germany in Auto Motor und Sport and Japan in Holiday – has it that Acura is developing a sleek four-door to join the lexicologically questionable segment known as "four-door coupes." The various translations equate to a car built on the forthcoming ZDX crossover's architecture, with reports suggesting that the new model will slot in between the TSX and the TL. Longer than the TSX by a few inches, the coupe is expected to also be wider, lower, and have a longer wheelbase than the small sedan.

Although one of the outlets mentioned a V8 and a FR layout, the consensus on a proposed engine is the 3.7-liter V6 paired up with Acura's SH-AWD and Motion Adaptive EPS. When might one expect to see this latter-day CL, if such a thing really does exist? Next year's Detroit Auto Show, with U.S. sales perhaps at the end of 2010. Hat tip to Nick!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:05 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Once again,

Four doors != coupe.

Guess we'll see next year what this is all about.

Let's hope it's a rumor and instead turns out to be a true coupe.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
The title needs to be changed to "New Acura Sedan in 2010".
Old 05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,945 Likes on 14,060 Posts
Here's a pic from the Autoblog article...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog...._new_sedan.jpg

And oh, thread merged...
Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Just what acura needs... another sedan.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,945 Likes on 14,060 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I think at this point, they are mocking you, Greenie. You asked for a coupe...and well, they're thinking of a coupe. Just not quite a coupe.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:49 PM
wut.

Looks like a Genesis / G37 Hybrid. LOL
Old 05-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Pro

That looks cool
Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

I'm INterested.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
What? Acura will have a 4 sedan line-up? Say it itsn't so...
Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I think you should march down to HOA headquarters and complain.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This actually looks promising, but just remember that the American version will probably not have the same grill...

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News