Acura: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 11:54 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I sure wish Honda would have invested the extra capital into Acura instead of blowing it on whatever this is supposed to be:

https://insideevs.com/news/592450/ho...g-scooter/amp/
I bet they blew a lot more on Asimo.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:59 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
I bet they blew a lot more on Asimo.
Hi and Bye, everyone !

Old 09-08-2022, 06:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
New Honda Baby NSX?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...-spy-pictures/
Old 09-08-2022, 08:23 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,062 Posts
From article:
UPDATE 9/8/22:Mystery solved! We have been informed by many readers that the car our bleary-eyed staffer spotted is a design study from a few years ago. Sometimes, the thrill of discovery turns out to be not so thrilling after all.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:20 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,477 Likes on 934 Posts
Oh good, my Johnny Cab is here.
The following users liked this post:
DJ Iceman (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I was expecting to see a CUV named S2000.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Talking Jalopnik

https://jalopnik.com/acura-thinks-pe...art-1850559766

Acura Thinks Performance Will Set Its EVs Apart

Acura says its upcoming ZDX Type S electric crossover will be a real performer.

By
Andy Kalmowitz
PublishedYesterday
Comments (13) Photo: Acura

There are so many new electric vehicles coming out pretty much all the time now, so it can be a bit hard to differentiate them among brands and price points. Acura, though, has a solution. According to Automotive News, the automaker wants to distinguish itself amongst its electric vehicle rivals by turning its sights to performance and driving dynamics.

To go along with the Integra, TLX, and MDX Type S performance variants, Acrua will also apparently be adding a Type S variant to its upcoming all-electric ZDX crossover. It’s set to launch sometime next year. There’s no word on what will set the ZDX Type S apart from the normal crossover just yet, as well as who will be doing the work to make it Type S-ish. After all, the ZDX is based on GM’s Ultium EV platform, along with its sibling, the Honda Prologue.

“We still have a lot of [engineering] space when it comes to the agility and performance characteristic of Evs, so outside of streamline acceleration, dynamic performance will be another clear strength for Acura as we move in the future,” Emile Korkor, Acura National Sales assistant VP, told Automotive News.

Korkor added that a common complaint about EVs is that they all feel the same, but he believes Acuras will be different.

“The last thing you want is a numb feeling in a car,” he told the outlet. “You put the pedal to the metal and it goes great in a straight line, but what good is that in the street where you have speed limits?

The outlet reports that Honda Motor Co. plans to sell 800,000 EVs in North America by 2030 amongst its 2 brands. Honda is supposed to sell half a million EVs, and Acura is set to see a further 300,000. However, those are just estimates. AutoNews says that Acura’s transition to EVs will be “more aggressive” than Honda’s. It expects 60 percent of Acrua’s sales volume to come from EVs in that time frame.

“You can do all kinds of things with battery power, like how much you draw from that battery to generate performance, or how you tweak the suspension system,” Korker said. “Those will be defining characteristics so you’re not in a sea of sameness.”

Old 06-22-2023, 08:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
“The last thing you want is a numb feeling in a car,” he told the outlet. “You put the pedal to the metal and it goes great in a straight line, but what good is that in the street where you have speed limits?
Okay, that's a great quote and I hope Acura comes up with performance to back it up. To date, performance-oriented EVs like the Tesla plaid models have been all about straight-line 0-60 times. No one mentions that you have to prep the car for multiple minutes while it settles, conditions the battery, and who knows what else so it can get one good launch.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:52 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,461 Likes on 4,981 Posts
My translation of that quote is simply "Acura EVs will not be quick because speed limits exist".
Old 07-11-2023, 08:38 AM
Safety Car

Cool Bang & Olufsen

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...e-acura-models

Acura and Bang & Olufsen™ Launch New Premium Audio Collaboration for All Future Acura Models

July 11, 2023 — TORRANCE, Calif.
  • All-electric 2024 ZDX will be the first Acura model to feature Bang & Olufsen premium audio, tuned for a powerful, sophisticated and immersive listening experience
  • Bang & Olufsen premium audio will expand across the entire Acura lineup in the coming years
Acura is launching a new collaboration with Bang & Olufsen, the Danish luxury audio brand, bringing an elevated in-vehicle audio experience to the entire Acura lineup beginning with the 2024 Acura ZDX. The performance brand's 1st all-electric vehicle, ZDX and the ZDX Type S, will be the first Acura models to feature the immersive, premium audio experience of Bang & Olufsen, an iconic brand for audiophiles recognized for the creation of innovative audio systems for home and automotive applications alike.

"As we take the Acura brand and our products to the next level, we want to make sure the audio experience also delivers on our concept of being a 'destination brand'," said Emile Korkor, Assistant Vice President, Acura National Sales. "This new collaboration with Bang & Olufsen will achieve exactly that, further exciting our clients as Acura enters the electrified era starting with ZDX."

Similar to Acura's commitment to Precision Crafted Performance, for nearly a century Bang & Olufsen, the Danish luxury audio brand, has been a beacon for immersive sound experiences built around the relentless determination to create products that push the boundaries of audio technology, design and craftsmanship. Bang & Olufsen Automotive, a division of HARMAN International, is well-established as an exclusive brand delivering outstanding sound quality through its unique capabilities within acoustics, design and craftsmanship. Designed and engineered expressly for Acura, the Bang & Olufsen premium audio system in the new Acura ZDX harnesses the latest technologies to deliver a supremely elevated audio experience.

"Acura and Bang & Olufsen are equally driven to deliver unparalleled performance and memorable experiences, and we're excited to kick off our new long-term partnership that will set a new precedent for in-vehicle audio and technology for years to come as we collaborate on future Acura products," said Tom Rivers, VP, Global Marketing at HARMAN. "The values and DNA of the legendary Bang & Olufsen brand are showcased in the incredible sound system HARMAN engineers have created for the new Acura ZDX, delivering the superior performance and quality fans of both brands have come to expect."

About Bang & Olufsen
Bang & Olufsen is a global luxury lifestyle brand founded in 1925 in Struer, Denmark, by Peter Bang and Svend Olufsen whose devotion and vision remain the foundation for the company.
The rich heritage built around the relentless determination to create products that push the boundaries of audio technology continues to place the company at the forefront of audio innovation. Today, every Bang & Olufsen product is still characterized by the unique combination of beautiful sound, timeless design, and unrivalled craftsmanship. The company's innovative and progressive audio products are sold worldwide in Bang & Olufsen mono-branded stores, online, and in multi-branded stores. The company employs over 1,000 people and operates in more than 70 markets. Bang & Olufsen's shares are listed on NAS DAQ Copenhagen A/S.

About HARMAN
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and services supporting the Internet of Things. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 50 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. Our software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. In 2017, HARMAN became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance – a commitment to expressive styling, high-performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability. The Acura lineup currently features 4 distinctive models – the next-gen Integra sport compact, TLX sport sedan, the RDX and MDX sport-utility vehicles, along with high-performance Type S variants. Acura's first all-electric model will be an SUV, the ZDX and ZDX Type S, and will arrive in 2024. All Acura vehicles sold in America are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
I used to be a big fan of B&O; had a full home theater of their stuff plus a bunch of smaller products. Over time I've moved on, to more mainstream products, because I found B&O stuff just wasn't worth the premium. It tends to look pretty and perform well, but a whole lot of the excessive price tag is simply in the brand name. And now that their automotive audio products are actually built by Harmon which are actually built by Samsung, the brand name is less valuable than it once was.

Acura has had a REALLY good thing going with their ELS systems. Dollar for dollar, I feel that they offer the best OEM car audio products on the market. And with each successive generation and introduction with new Acura models, they've gotten rave reviews.

If the B&O branding leads to even better audio systems in Acura vehicles, I'll be very happy. But I'll also be surprised--with the money Acura will now be paying for the B&O name, they almost have to put less into the quality of the components themselves. A lot of it also has to do with how much power the audio engineer has to get their way with things like speaker placement, equalizer tuning, and component quality. Elliot Scheiner seemed to do a very good job with that; will someone else have the same influence to ensure audio quality is a priority in the new models, beyond just slapping the B&O logo on the speakers?
Old 01-18-2024, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Finally, a subcompact crossover. About time they got with the program, especially with how improved the current HRV is.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...obile-business

• An all-new Acura crossover will debut later this year, positioned at the gateway of the lineup alongside the Integra.
Either drop in the 1.5T, or give it a hybrid powertrain, and it will sell like bananas. Keep the 2.0L from the HRV and it’ll sell like dogshit.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:32 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
Finally, a subcompact crossover. About time they got with the program, especially with how improved the current HRV is.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...obile-business

Either drop in the 1.5T, or give it a hybrid powertrain, and it will sell like bananas. Keep the 2.0L from the HRV and it’ll sell like dogshit.
They trademarked the ADX a few years back and there were rumors of launch plans in 2023. HRV is on a civic platform and civic is getting a my25 hybrid this year, so it is technicallly possible and a huge upsell/differentiator if the ADX came as a hybrid for Acura.

Acura's sequence of announcents were:
- No more hybrids for Acura, only Honda will get them
- Integra was the last ICE Acura, every future Acura model will be BEV.
- Oops we changed our mind, Integra won't be the last ICE (everyone read this as the ADX is coming)
- Low cost EV's aren't achievable at this time, cancelling the low cost collab with GM
- ADX is not electric because only 3 electrics are coming in 2024: ZDX, Prologue, and PMC CRV FCEV.

Reading the first statement would make you think the ADX is gas, but with the later walkbacks a hybrid is possible.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mvl
They trademarked the ADX a few years back and there were rumors of launch plans in 2023. HRV is on a civic platform and civic is getting a my25 hybrid this year, so it is technicallly possible and a huge upsell/differentiator if the ADX came as a hybrid for Acura.

Acura's sequence of announcents were:
- No more hybrids for Acura, only Honda will get them
- Integra was the last ICE Acura, every future Acura model will be BEV.
- Oops we changed our mind, Integra won't be the last ICE (everyone read this as the ADX is coming)
- Low cost EV's aren't achievable at this time, cancelling the low cost collab with GM
- ADX is not electric because only 3 electrics are coming in 2024: ZDX, Prologue, and PMC CRV FCEV.

Reading the first statement would make you think the ADX is gas, but with the later walkbacks a hybrid is possible.
I just hope they don’t sandbag the new car to protect the RDX, seeing as how I think it’ll just get a second refresh and not a new generation.
Old 08-09-2024, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura teases new performance EV for Monterey

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/08/09/...-for-monterey/Acura

Acura is headed to Monterey Car Week with what it's calling a "next generation" performance concept. While Honda's premium subsidiary offered up no details about the car itself, we were offered the above teaser photo. Acura says it will be a "segment defying" sport utility vehicle, but what we're seeing here looks awfully trunk-like. From this perspective, it's really anybody's guess, but one thing is obvious: Whatever this thing is, it's no mere ZDX offshoot. Here's Acura's announcement in its entirety, should you be interested in parsing it yourself:

"Acura will once again take center stage during Monterey Car Week for the world debut of an exciting new concept vehicle. A segment defying sport utility vehicle, the dynamically styled concept previews the performance brand's next generation all-electric model – the first to be built in Ohio on the company's new dedicated EV platform."

The most significant takeaway here is that last bit. Being on a new dedicated platform means that this car has nothing to do with the current Honda-Acura EV offerings, both of which are based on architecture shared with General Motors. Honda has already announced that it will migrate its mainstream EVs to a new, in-house "0 Series" platform in the coming years, with an initial focus on passenger vehicles followed by expansion into people-mover territory. We've yet to hear anything concrete about a parallel program at Acura, so this could very well be the first breadcrumbs to that effect.

For now, that's all Acura has to offer. Keep your ears to the ground during Car Week for more.
Old 08-09-2024, 09:25 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Acura/Honda has done this type of move before with:
Isuzu Oasis: Honda Odyssey
Isuzu Rodeo: Honda Passport
Isuzu Trooper: Acura SLX

I imagine the future "performance EV" was Acura's long-term intention to replace the 2nd Gen EV ZDX all along. Hopefully, Acura isn't too late to the party to get a foothold into the market. Seems like folks are shying away from EVs for PHEV and non-plug in hybrids first because of lack of EV infrastructure, higher EV cost, long-ish recharging time, and EV range anxiety (especially at higher speeds and/or heavy loads). Acura sometimes wraps outstanding technology in an average to slightly above average interiors/exterior designs. Give me an EV with +500 mile range combined on a 20-30 minute charge and I would have one in my driveway (I've gone +450 miles several times in my MDX Sport Hybrid).
Old 08-09-2024, 10:15 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
Their business briefing spoke of two 2-row inhouse EV SUVs plus the saloon in 2026, and a 3row in 2027.

My guess is one of the 2026 ones will be a performance model.
Old 08-09-2024, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

LOL "segment defying sport utility vehicle"? I'm utterly shocked Acura marketing is grossly overselling again.
civicdrivr (08-12-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 12:01 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,698 Posts
What's an Acura? Never heard of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
civicdrivr (08-12-2024), mrmako (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
LOL "segment defying sport utility vehicle"? I'm utterly shocked Acura marketing is grossly overselling again.
fify
Old 08-09-2024, 06:23 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
Funny how Honda doesn't sell the Acura over in Japan. Toyota really established Lexus as a premium brand there, after starting out with Lexus models with Toyota badging (The last model Toyota Soarer was an Lexus SC300 for example). Honda can't seem to get it right. Nissan gave up on the Infiniti brand but sells them as Nissans over there (the Skyline vice the Q50).

Old 08-12-2024, 05:56 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Concept EV

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...ic-acura-model

New Acura Concept Vehicle Coming to Monterey Car Week; Signals Next Generation All-Electric Acura Model

August 9, 2024 — TORRANCE, Calif.Acura will once again take center stage during Monterey Car Week for the world debut of an exciting new concept vehicle. A segment defying sport utility vehicle, the dynamically styled concept previews the performance brand's next generation all-electric model – the first to be built in Ohio on the company's new dedicated EV platform.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive brand committed to delivering expressive styling, innovative engineering and engaging dynamics, all built on the brand's Precision Crafted Performance DNA. The Acura lineup consists of two sport sedans, the Integra and TLX, and three sport-utility vehicles, the RDX, MDX and all-electric ZDX. A 4th SUV, the ADX, will join the lineup as a new gateway model in 2025. High-performance Type S variants further demonstrate the virtues of Acura Precision Crafted Performance. All Acura vehicles sold in America are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

More information about Acura is available here: https://acuranews.com/en-US.

Old 08-15-2024, 12:29 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts
Already a few days into Monterey Car Week, and still not a peep from Acura. What are they waiting for?
Old 08-15-2024, 01:17 AM
Safety Car

It's probably all hands on deck while the entire crew is helping a local dealership close the deal on the one guy who walked in and said he was somewhat interested in the ZDX.
silverTL6 (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 04:13 AM
Safety Car

Talking Concept EV

[font=georgia]
https://insideevs.com/news/730219/ac...ncours-pebble/

Acura Performance EV Concept: Honda Finally Gets Serious

Production of Acura's next EV starts in 2025, and it will be made in Honda's Ohio-based EV hub.

Acura

Aug 15, 2024 at 1:00am ET

By: Kevin Williams
  • The Acura Precision EV Concept is planned to enter production in 2025.
  • It uses an EV platform developed by Honda itself, unlike the Acura ZDX which uses the GM Ultium platform.
  • It is expected to be one of the first models made at Honda's Ohio-based EV hub.
Sleek, smooth and electric—three words that encapsulate Acura’s latest concept. Debuting at this year’s Monterey Car Week, Acura’s dropping the lowdown on its EV concept. Oh, and unlike the ZDX currently in its showrooms, this one’s a homegrown affair: no GM Ultium stuff. It’s a preview of what’s to come from Honda's (and Acura’s) self-developed EV efforts, both design-wise and technologically speaking.

AcuraOn its face, this matter-of-factly named Acura Performance EV Concept crossover is something Acura says is an “exciting performance SUV developed by the Acura Design Studio in Los Angeles.” While the ZDX is effectively a Chevy Blazer wearing the styling of Acura’s current crop of gas-powered crossovers, the Acura Performance EV Concept takes a more mindful approach. Gone are the harsh striations, and remnants of Acura’s beak-like grille that adorn the MDX and new Integra. Instead, this concept is smooth and rakish. The body still looks aggressive; the vented hood and intense side surfacing portray that thoroughly. But it’s done in a way that feels upscale. Acura says the front fascia of the car is inspired of the “high-tech form and function of hydrofoil superyachts.”

At the rear of the car, there’s no Acura logo, but a full-width taillight bar and Acura script running the width of the concept’s rear end. Along with the rear diffuser, Acura says the Performance EV Concept is meant to pay homage to the original NSX. The whole body is finished in a semi-matte Moonlit White Pearl, putting a bow on top of the Performance EV Concept’s neue-luxe aesthetic.

Of course, this is a concept, so the proportions are definitely otherworldly. Those 23-inch wheels are wrapped in 295/35R23 tires, which are very big and wide, even for a modern design-busting EV. I’m not sure if the huge wheels, tiny greenhouse and tall stance would make for much in the way of interior room for the Performance EV Concept. But, Acura says it’s merely a preview of what future EV Acuras will look like. Acura’s last EV concept, the Precision EV Concept, which also debuted at Monterey Car Week, ended up becoming the GM Ultium-based ZDX. The concept and its production model kind of look similar, but there were plenty of changes made to the design before it reached sale.

Gallery: Acura Performance EV Concept

8 Photos

AcuraThe Acura Performance EV Concept will debut publicly at The Quail on August 16, then stay on the Concept Lawn at Pebble Beach Concours d’ Elegance on August 18.

Contact the author: kevin.williams@insideevs.com
Old 08-15-2024, 10:08 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
Based on the Monterey website, my guess is it is shown on Friday (tomorrow) during "The Quail", this specifically mentions "11 major vehicle announcements... displays will include debuts entries from... Acura"

Now that Temple of vtec is at least in a coma, is this the place to go for all Acura news, or is there a better place?

I would be down if this is a styling reincarnation of the Audi E-tron Sportback from 2019 style wise and/or or the new Porsche Macan with an emphasis on using the EV platform to improve on the poor packaging of the GM ev platform share.

B.
silverTL6 (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

.https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content...Concept-4.webp

Old 08-15-2024, 01:04 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

I suppose final judgement should be reserved for the production version, but for now it looks like a hodge-podge of brands with its Buick Wildcat fronted, Nissan floating roof, and Cayenne rear light bar. On a positive note, one could mistake it for the new Lotus EV suv (Eletre?), and the side vents (if retained) would be pretty cool. Also wondering what clever nameplate it'll eventually get. Seems like "ZDX" would've been more appropriate here vs. the current GM hearst-mobile.
Old 08-15-2024, 01:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by silverTL6
I suppose final judgement should be reserved for the production version, but for now it looks like a hodge-podge of brands with its Buick Wildcat fronted, Nissan floating roof, and Cayenne rear light bar. On a positive note, one could mistake it for the new Lotus EV suv (Eletre?), and the side vents (if retained) would be pretty cool. Also wondering what clever nameplate it'll eventually get. Seems like "ZDX" would've been more appropriate here vs. the current GM hearst-mobile.
The Acura Bayliner
Old 08-15-2024, 02:22 PM

Received 5,559 Likes on 3,794 Posts
https://www.netcarshow.com/acura/202...ce_ev_concept/

Acura took a significant step forward in its electrification strategy with the world-debut of the Acura Performance EV Concept, which previews the premium-performance brand's next generation all-electric model. Introduced during 2024 Monterey Car Week, one of the world's top gatherings of automotive and motorsports enthusiasts, the Acura concept is an exciting performance SUV developed by the Acura Design Studio in Los Angeles. Scheduled to go into production in late 2025, an all-new Acura model based on the Acura Performance EV Concept will be the first model engineered on the new Honda-developed EV platform and the first EV produced at the Honda EV Hub in Ohio.

"The Acura Performance EV Concept kicks off the exciting next step in our electrification strategy, showcasing the styling direction of our next all-new, all-electric Acura model that will debut next year," said Mike Langel, assistant vice president, Acura National Sales. "Building on the just-launched all-electric 2024 Acura ZDX, our next all-electric Acura SUV will continue our focus on delivering Acura clients an exhilarating driving experience in the electrified future."

The Acura Performance EV Concept showcases the performance brand's vision for its all-electric vehicles of the future, with a vented hood that stretches forward from the A-pillars and prominent side vents carved into its deeply sculpted side surfaces. The concept's aggressive front fascia draws inspiration from the high-tech form and function of hydrofoil superyachts.

The alluring contrast surfacing, expressive coupe-like silhouette and a teardrop cabin are finished in a captivating "Moonlit White Pearl" paint with a semi-matte finish. In the rear, an upswept decklid, full-width taillight and large diffuser pay homage to the second generation NSX. The sharp and distinctive tail is complemented by "ACURA" splashed across the tailgate in a new font, unique to the performance brand's electrified vehicles.

"The Acura Performance EV Concept is the archetype of Acura Performance in the electrified era, taking full advantage of the extreme design freedom of stance and proportion offered by our next-generation EV platform to push the boundaries of Acura design even further," said Dave Marek, Acura Design Executive. "As with our previous Acura concept vehicles, the Acura Performance EV Concept introduces a number of design themes that will be seen on future Acura vehicles."

The powerful, athletic stance and proportion of the Acura Performance EV Concept is accentuated by its long wheelbase, short overhangs and muscular wheel arches covering massive 23-inch wheels wrapped in wide 295/35R23 performance tires. The sculptural wheel design includes brushed machined edges and a unique spoke pattern with variable spacing to evoke a sense of movement even while still.

All four corners feature drilled high-performance brakes with paint-matched Moonlit White four-piston calipers. Striking neon green Acura scripting on each brake caliper ties back to the Acura Electric Vision Design Study revealed at Monterey Car Week in 2023.

Old 08-15-2024, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

Smile Press Release

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...terey-car-week

Acura Performance EV Concept Makes Global Debut at Monterey Car Week

August 15, 2024 — MONTEREY, Calif.
  • Dramatically styled SUV concept previews the evolution of Acura's performance focused design direction and the brand's next all-electric model
  • The new Acura EV will be the first model engineered on an all-new Honda-developed EV Platform, and the first model produced at the new Honda EV Hub in Ohio
  • Acura Performance EV Concept will make its public debut at two marque Car Week Events: The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering and Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
Acura today took a significant step forward in its electrification strategy with the world-debut of the Acura Performance EV Concept, which previews the premium-performance brand's next generation all-electric model. Introduced during Monterey Car Week, one of the world's top gatherings of automotive and motorsports enthusiasts, the Acura concept is an exciting performance SUV developed by the Acura Design Studio in Los Angeles. Scheduled to go into production in late 2025, an all-new Acura model based on the Acura Performance EV Concept will be the first model engineered on the new Honda-developed EV platform and the first EV produced* at the Honda EV Hub in Ohio.

"The Acura Performance EV Concept kicks off the exciting next step in our electrification strategy, showcasing the styling direction of our next all-new, all-electric Acura model that will debut next year," said Mike Langel, assistant vice president, Acura National Sales. "Building on the just-launched all-electric 2024 Acura ZDX, our next all-electric Acura SUV will continue our focus on delivering Acura clients an exhilarating driving experience in the electrified future."

The Acura Performance EV Concept showcases the performance brand's vision for its all-electric vehicles of the future, with a vented hood that stretches forward from the A-pillars and prominent side vents carved into its deeply sculpted side surfaces. The concept's aggressive front fascia draws inspiration from the high-tech form and function of hydrofoil superyachts.

The alluring contrast surfacing, expressive coupe-like silhouette and a teardrop cabin are finished in a captivating "Moonlit White Pearl" paint with a semi-matte finish. In the rear, an upswept decklid, full-width taillight and large diffuser pay homage to the second generation NSX. The sharp and distinctive tail is complemented by "ACURA" splashed across the tailgate in a new font, unique to the performance brand's electrified vehicles.

"The Acura Performance EV Concept is the archetype of Acura Performance in the electrified era, taking full advantage of the extreme design freedom of stance and proportion offered by our next-generation EV platform to push the boundaries of Acura design even further," said Dave Marek, Acura Design Executive. "As with our previous Acura concept vehicles, the Acura Performance EV Concept introduces a number of design themes that will be seen on future Acura vehicles."

The powerful, athletic stance and proportion of the Acura Performance EV Concept is accentuated by its long wheelbase, short overhangs and muscular wheel arches covering massive 23-inch wheels wrapped in wide 295/35R23 performance tires. The sculptural wheel design includes brushed machined edges and a unique spoke pattern with variable spacing to evoke a sense of movement even while still.

All 4 corners feature drilled high-performance brakes with paint-matched Moonlit White 4-piston calipers. Striking neon green Acura scripting on each brake caliper ties back to the Acura Electric Vision Design Study revealed at Monterey Car Week in 2023.

The Acura Performance EV Concept is the fifth Acura concept vehicle displayed at Monterey Car Week during the last 11 years following the NSX Concept (2013), Precision Concept (2016), Type S Concept (2019) and Precision EV Concept (2022).

The Acura Performance EV Concept will make its public debut at The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering on Friday, Aug. 16, with a press event scheduled for 10:36 a.m.

Moreover, the Acura Performance EV Concept will be featured on the Concept Lawn at the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on Sunday, Aug. 18.

Honda EV Hub
Honda is making significant progress in the establishment of the Honda EV Hub in Ohio, which will serve as a roadmap for production of electric vehicles (EVs) in North America. As Honda works toward the start of EV production at the Marysville Auto Plant in late 2025, retooling efforts are well underway, including preparation for vehicle production and in-house assembly of the Intelligent Power Unit (IPU), which houses the EV battery and serves as part of the vehicle platform. Honda has committed to investing at least $700 million to transform its Marysville Auto Plant, East Liberty Auto Plant and Anna Engine Plant to lead the start of EV production in North America.

"We began production of Acura vehicles in America almost 30 years ago, so we are excited to make an Acura SUV the first EV we build at the Honda EV Hub," said Mike Fischer, executive chief engineer and leader of the Honda North American BEV Project. "The establishment of the Honda EV Hub represents not only the start of EV production but the complete reimagining of our approach to manufacturing that will establish our global standard for EV production."

A key component of the Honda EV Hub, construction progress continues at L-H Battery Company, Inc., the more than 2 million square feet joint venture EV battery facility near Jeffersonville, Ohio. Honda and LG Energy Solution have committed to invest $3.5 billion in the new JV facility, with the overall investment projected to reach $4.4 billion. The facility is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2024, with an annual capacity of approximately 40GWh.

*Using domestic and globally sourced parts

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive brand committed to delivering expressive styling, innovative engineering and engaging dynamics, all built on the brand's Precision Crafted Performance DNA. The Acura lineup consists of two sport sedans, the Integra and TLX, and three sport-utility vehicles, the RDX, MDX and all-electric ZDX. A fourth SUV, the ADX, will join the lineup as a new gateway model in 2025. High-performance Type S variants further demonstrate the virtues of Acura Precision Crafted Performance. All Acura vehicles sold in America are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

More information about Acura is available here: https://acuranews.com/en-US.

Last edited by TSX69; 08-15-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 08:22 AM
Intermediate

No Acura except the NSX exists without a Honda cousin. There is a rumor that this is the last gen of the Accord being a sedan and the next gen would look like a Crosstour, a lifted hatchback like vehicle. The only question was the powertrain. As the Accord goes to this lifted hatchback look, could this be the TLX replacement?
Old 08-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,062 Posts
lol pass.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
civicdrivr (08-20-2024), RPhilMan1 (08-16-2024), ttribe (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 11:30 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Originally Posted by Longhorn3
No Acura except the NSX exists without a Honda cousin. There is a rumor that this is the last gen of the Accord being a sedan and the next gen would look like a Crosstour, a lifted hatchback like vehicle. The only question was the powertrain. As the Accord goes to this lifted hatchback look, could this be the TLX replacement?
I can see a case for making the TLX an EV (while the Integra serves the ICE market), but turning it into a pseudo SUV as well would not be a smart move as there are still plenty of EV sedans out there to compete with. And with Acura calling itself a "performance" brand, having a 90% SUV lineup would be a bit contradictory. Then again, they have done dumber things...
Old 08-19-2024, 09:35 AM

Received 5,559 Likes on 3,794 Posts
@Yumcha
Move to Acura News?
https://acurazine.com/forums/automot...l-news-387118/
Old 08-19-2024, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,941 Likes on 14,057 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Merged.