Poor sales?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:53 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
that would be the dumbest move Acura ever allowed to happen. Only a fool pays above MSRP for a depreciating asset like this.
I couldn't agree more, but Acura has little control over what their independent dealers do as far as pricing is concerned. If Acura announces they will only produce "X" amount of TLX Type-S's for the first year of production, I wouldn't be surprised if dealers asked over MSRP for them. Who knows though.

From what I hear, CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwings are going for $10k+ mark-up, which is kind of low seeing as a) GM dealers are crooks and b) they announced only 250 of each, which is spectacularly low. Though, it could be worse. I'm hearing mark-ups of $30k-50k for the RS6 Avant. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that the TLX Type-S gets some hefty mark-ups as well for the first batch of them. Nature of the beast.

Personally, I'd never pay MSRP for a car, let alone a mark-up.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio85:
Monte TLS,MAX (03-24-2021), pyrodan007 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 01:18 AM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
that would be the dumbest move Acura ever allowed to happen. Only a fool pays above MSRP for a depreciating asset like this.
Just the way it is. I wouldn’t say it’s a dumb move but people will always pay more for something limited.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
I couldn't agree more, but Acura has little control over what their independent dealers do as far as pricing is concerned. If Acura announces they will only produce "X" amount of TLX Type-S's for the first year of production, I wouldn't be surprised if dealers asked over MSRP for them. Who knows though.

From what I hear, CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwings are going for $10k+ mark-up, which is kind of low seeing as a) GM dealers are crooks and b) they announced only 250 of each, which is spectacularly low. Though, it could be worse. I'm hearing mark-ups of $30k-50k for the RS6 Avant. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that the TLX Type-S gets some hefty mark-ups as well for the first batch of them. Nature of the beast.

C8 Corvettes have as much as $20,000 ADM for right now delivery with $10,000 being pretty common. Was the reason I bought the Z4 for 5 figures under MSRP. The Corvette's entire first years production 20,368 units was sold before the first customer car was built. A bit more than the 116 TLX-3 pre sale units for an entire country. Don't think at this point the TLX-S pre sales have much meaning. Be more interested to see what sales look like after the road tests are published.

Also think any car at or above MSRP is crazy to buy.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-24-2021 at 06:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
leomio85 (03-24-2021), Monte TLS,MAX (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 10:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts

agreed! but many people do....this is the world we live in....people do what they think is right
Old 03-24-2021, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
No one ever operated a dealership under "goodwill." It's all about the cheese!
Old 03-24-2021, 11:14 AM
AZ Community Team

I love my dealership. Everyone is super nice and I never felt they are overcharging me. Last year, we got for my sis in law an A-SPEC RDX and the dealer did their best to give us some goodies. But i know overall, dealers aren't honest. I am not painting everyone with the same brush as i said there are some great dealers and sales peoples.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
"The 2021 Type S will start arriving at Acura dealers in June, with a price somewhere around $60,000,"

Old 03-24-2021, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kense
"The 2021 Type S will start arriving at Acura dealers in June, with a price somewhere around $60,000,"

That's for Canadians. Expected US price is low $50's and late May debut.

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...year-of-type-s
Old 03-24-2021, 11:00 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
That's for Canadians. Expected US price is low $50's and late May debut.

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...year-of-type-s
... and also no limited MY2021 availability for the US market.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
People do pretty insane things just to be the first....paying above MSRP is one of them. Unless is a truly exotic, instant classic car (and even then I'm not so sure) I would never ever do it. I always bought my car under invoice, even cars that initially carried a second sticker.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4G-Lover:
F23A4 (03-25-2021), neuronbob (03-27-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:17 AM
Racer

The Vs will end up selling at under invoice, give it enough time....same thing happened with my CTS-V...initially they carried crazy second sticker, eventually people got crazy deals and I'm one of them.
It is true that the RS6 currently carries heavy second sticker, one of the reasons I did not consider one for my wife's ride and we went the Trackhawk route...some dealers still tried to sell Trackhawks at above MSRP (a little more than 500 were made for MY 2020) but the novelty is no longer there and eventually, with time and patience, I bagged one at significantly under invoice.

I do not think dealers will be able to slap a second sticker to the Type S for long.

Interestingly enough, it can happen that some instant classics sell at discount, a good example is the current Camaro ZL1....you can get one at under invoice, I would not say easily but with not too much effort and that is a car that will depreciate little initially and it has very good chances to gain value significantly in the long run...another similar instant classic like the Mustang GT500, instead, still carries heavy second stickers at dealers.
The following users liked this post:
leomio85 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
I am sure you never saw me driving one 3G MDX is already quite capable for its size at high speed, with high performance tires of course. As long as you accept the suspension is soft (but well damped) and the huge tendency to understeer without trailbraking, you can take advantage of the weight transfer to dive into corners, then use SH-AWD and the smooth V6 torque to get out in textbook style of SH-AWD.

I am fine with these ads personally, because at least Acura did improve 4G MDX handling significantly. This is better than IS500, where you are supposed to show a good sports sedan, but the chassis dynamics completely falls apart.
love to know where that mythical place is where unicorn soccer moms drive their MDX's in the left lane at the speed limit or less. Neverland?
Where I live, seems like everyone is going +5 to +20MPH on highways no matter what their vehicles are (MDX, F150, Corolla, GLK, Sienna, Explorer, ...)
Traffic deaths were up in 2020 despite less traffic, lotta accidents all over.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-25-2021 at 11:30 AM.
BEAR-AvHistory (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
love to know where that mythical place is where unicorn soccer moms drive their MDX's in the left lane at the speed limit or less. Neverland?
Where I live, seems like everyone is going +5 to +20MPH on highways no matter what their vehicles are (MDX, F150, Corolla, GLK, Sienna, Explorer, ...)
Yeah speeds are up. In our eastern regions (empty space) on the interstates posted at 70MPH +15 is pretty much immune to tickets & the normal speed in the outside lane. Also WAZE helps. Interesting to me note, I would swap the unicorn soccer mom's MDX with the Tesla any model which are more frequently seen in the curb lane at the posted limit or less. Wonder in real life how fast the batteries drain in a high speed long distance run with A/C cooling the car in the Carolina sun?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-25-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Legend2TL (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
On interstates, I'm pretty much in that demographic....especially down here in the Sunshine State for the past several weeks.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:19 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Yeah speeds are up. In our eastern regions (empty space) on the interstates posted at 70MPH +15 is pretty much immune to tickets & the normal speed in the outside lane. Also WAZE helps. Interesting to me note, I would swap the unicorn soccer mom's MDX with the Tesla any model which are more frequently seen in the curb lane at the posted limit or less. Wonder in real life how fast the batteries drain in a high speed long distance run with A/C cooling the car in the Carolina sun?
yeah, I have been stuck behind some hypermiling Tesla's on occasion. They're highly annoying to say the least.

Originally Posted by F23A4
On interstates, I'm pretty much in that demographic....especially down here in the Sunshine State for the past several weeks.
Last summer in the middle of the pandemic, I never saw any speed traps on I95 in Maryland. Helluva lot of drivers exploring triple digit speeds mostly at night on I95 and other highways.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
Yeah its really amazing. There are a couple of 2+mile pure straight flat sections on my normal long distance run where I have been at a steady 90mph in the curb lane & have had cars of all shapes & sizes including F-150's & Silverado's blow by me as though I was parked.

BTW one other set of cars I would add to the slow curb lane runners are Hellcats & Demons. Out east toward the coast gas stations are pretty scarce in some sections. Have to wonder what kind of mileage the big engines Dodge's get. Think I have a good performance fuel usage package with near 80MPH average door to door with almost 31MPG to the coast & back. Can do it on a single 13.5 gallon tank if I have too. Run is pretty flat no real hills.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
The Vs will end up selling at under invoice, give it enough time....same thing happened with my CTS-V...initially they carried crazy second sticker, eventually people got crazy deals and I'm one of them.
It is true that the RS6 currently carries heavy second sticker, one of the reasons I did not consider one for my wife's ride and we went the Trackhawk route...some dealers still tried to sell Trackhawks at above MSRP (a little more than 500 were made for MY 2020) but the novelty is no longer there and eventually, with time and patience, I bagged one at significantly under invoice.

I do not think dealers will be able to slap a second sticker to the Type S for long.

Interestingly enough, it can happen that some instant classics sell at discount, a good example is the current Camaro ZL1....you can get one at under invoice, I would not say easily but with not too much effort and that is a car that will depreciate little initially and it has very good chances to gain value significantly in the long run...another similar instant classic like the Mustang GT500, instead, still carries heavy second stickers at dealers.
If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you get down on your TrackHawk? I’m seeing some supposed deals people got a couple years ago that seem too good to be true. Like, $20k+ under sticker.

As much as I love hi-po RWD American muscle, something more practical I can use every day, all year round is pretty enticing too. I wish they’d do an AWD Charger Hellcat. That would be absurdly good. Same with GM and their Blackwings, but Chrysler already basically has the platform with their Trackhawk/Durango HC.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:55 PM
Racer

If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you get down on your TrackHawk? I’m seeing some supposed deals people got a couple years ago that seem too good to be true. Like, $20k+ under sticker.

As much as I love hi-po RWD American muscle, something more practical I can use every day, all year round is pretty enticing too. I wish they’d do an AWD Charger Hellcat. That would be absurdly good. Same with GM and their Blackwings, but Chrysler already basically has the platform with their Trackhawk/Durango HC.
It took me over 6 months but finally I found one for 12K under MSRP the exact color I wanted and with the exact options I wanted. Some good deals were available on MY 2018 but I did not want to get a first year release and there were quite few upgrades made since the MY 2019 anyway.
I gave up several times, many had significant second stickers and at best I was able to get few grand off MSRP..and with the COVID things actually got worse, dealers were holding on inventory.
Finally last July I got a tip on the Trackhawk forum about a dealer in New Jersey (I live in Seattle) willing to deal so after a bit of back and forth I got it exactly where I wanted (a black MY 2020)....considering that any flying locations for vacations were off we decided to fly there and drive back, our vacation for the year...it was a blast!! I'm so glad I did it.
Car is a beast...freakingly fast (it would probably beat my CTS-V to 60) very nice interior (if you get one, find one with the full leather interior package, it's worth every penny) and very well built, surprising for a FCA product but even my old Grand Cherokee SRT (I sold it privately, it was my wife previous ride) did hold incredibly well.....one big difference from Acura, the paint thickness, so much better not even a comparison.

Paying our respects to the Gods of speed at the Bonneville Salt Flats with our Trackhawk (no I did not drive it on salt! LOL)

The following 5 users liked this post by 4G-Lover:
04WDPSeDaN (03-27-2021), ESHBG (03-27-2021), leomio85 (03-27-2021), sonyfever (03-27-2021), TLXinTX (03-30-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 06:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G-Lover

All of this.

I bought my "instant classic" manual CTS-V wagon just under invoice. No one wanted these despite all the fawning in the press over them at the time. That's why there are only 514 extant LOL. (Note: Last OBM manual CTS-V wagon sold on BAT above original MSRP. Now even I'm thinking--weakly--about BATting mine )
Old 04-01-2021, 01:54 PM
AZ Community Team

The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (04-02-2021), F23A4 (04-02-2021), leomio85 (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Ho Lee Chit! Talk about a resurgence. I guess all those incentives are finally starting to pay off. More than doubling their sales from last year and last month! Not their best ever March, but still good numbers. Glad for some good news for a change ...
Old 04-01-2021, 04:37 PM
Drifting

Ho Lee Chit! Talk about a resurgence. I guess all those incentives are finally starting to pay off. More than doubling their sales from last year and last month! Not their best ever March, but still good numbers. Glad for some good news for a change ...
During March 2020, most of the nation was on lockdown or thinking about it.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:47 PM
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 148 Posts
Good to see that the incentive increase in mid-February had a real effect on sales. If this did not work then there would have been a real problem for Acura. The March total of 3,041 almost equaled the combined January/February total of 3,100 sales.

In addition to the positive reviews the car has received, more visibility on the road can only help going forward.
Tony Pac (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pens Fan

In addition to the positive reviews the car has received, more visibility on the road can only help going forward.
On my way into work tonight, I was on the highway and spotted an Audi with quad tips. Looked like an S6 so I sped up. Nope, 2021 S4 in dark grey with blacked out accents. I couldn’t stop looking at it. Gorgeous car.

I saw two 2G TLXs. A black Advance and a white A-Spec. I want to like this car, but I just don’t. The only one I’ve liked so far was the blue A-Spec I saw. Hopefully the Type-S has enough design changes to change my mind (need to see it in person to make final judgment).
Old 04-01-2021, 11:40 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
On my way into work tonight, I was on the highway and spotted an Audi with quad tips. Looked like an S6 so I sped up. Nope, 2021 S4 in dark grey with blacked out accents. I couldn’t stop looking at it. Gorgeous car.

I saw two 2G TLXs. A black Advance and a white A-Spec. I want to like this car, but I just don’t. The only one I’ve liked so far was the blue A-Spec I saw. Hopefully the Type-S has enough design changes to change my mind (need to see it in person to make final judgment).
I’ve never mistaken an A/S-4 for an A-6. On the other hand I tend to mistake an A3 for an A4. To be honest I have real trouble recognizing an A4. Visually for me it’s in the throw away zone. I live on the west side of LA so I see a lot of Audis.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Honda430
I’ve never mistaken an A/S-4 for an A-6. On the other hand I tend to mistake an A3 for an A4. To be honest I have real trouble recognizing an A4. Visually for me it’s in the throw away zone. I live on the west side of LA so I see a lot of Audis.
I was a good distance away. From a close to moderate distance, I have no issues differentiating from any of the models. Further away, I think the A/S 6 honestly share more similarities in body lines to the 4 than the 3.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks like Honda did fairly well across most products. I noticed some very competetive March deals on the Accord 2.0T and CTR over at Princeton Honda (NJ); seriously considered swapping out my base 19 TLX for a 21 Accord Touring.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:59 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
On my way home from the grocery store, I saw 4 (yes, four) 2021 TLX's. White, grey, and blue x2, all A-specs. I was thinking how wide they look wide in person... until I saw an Audi RS6 and Porsche Taycan moments later! Weird considering I've only seen 2 TLX's and 1 Taycan in the preceding few months.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Over the last two weeks, I have seen 4-8 TLXs every day.

Last edited by WTF.Acura; 04-02-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Where do you guy all live? It's crazy to me that I've yet to see a single 2G TLX in my area yet I see plenty of 1G TLXs.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:34 PM

Looking over the chart again, MDX sales are absolutely insane. Since 2005, no single month has even come close to what the MDX did in March '21. Now, obviously, I assume a good chunk of that is 3G MDX's on absolute fire sale. Most of the dealerships around me have plenty of stock of 4G MDXs and 3G MDX inventory has significantly decreased. It looks like some dealers moved nearly 100 MDXs in the last month or so each.

That's not to take anything away from the 4G MDX. I feel like I've seen almost as many of them driving around already as 2G TLXs.

I dunno what Honda did in March, but people went nuts for them last month.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Looking over the chart again, MDX sales are absolutely insane. Since 2005, no single month has even come close to what the MDX did in March '21. Now, obviously, I assume a good chunk of that is 3G MDX's on absolute fire sale. Most of the dealerships around me have plenty of stock of 4G MDXs and 3G MDX inventory has significantly decreased. It looks like some dealers moved nearly 100 MDXs in the last month or so each.

That's not to take anything away from the 4G MDX. I feel like I've seen almost as many of them driving around already as 2G TLXs.

I dunno what Honda did in March, but people went nuts for them last month.
Looking at the sales report for Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, and Subaru, everyone saw a massive increase in sales compared to Feb across the entire lineup. Rising tide lifts all boats, as they say. Consumers are sensing that the pandemic is coming to an end, and all the demand that got suppressed in 2020 is coming to bear now.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-02-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Where do you guy all live? It's crazy to me that I've yet to see a single 2G TLX in my area yet I see plenty of 1G TLXs.
I live in South Florida.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
Over the last two weeks, I have seen 4-8 TLXs every day.
I live in Montréal, and honestly until Feb I saw 3 New TLX. But in March, I saw pretty much one every day. I remember when 1st gen TLX came out, it was the same. First few months, I barely saw any and then started appearing in every corner. Montréal is a smaller market compared to Toronto, but still many many 1st gen. The second gen is starting to appear more and more. Wednesday I saw a black one on the service road. I won’t lie it looked amazing with those slim lights and wide hood.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
ELIN (04-03-2021), Pens Fan (04-03-2021), robnalex (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 07:09 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
I've seen zero 2nd Gen TLX in the Raleigh, NC area (other than my own), but then I haven't gotten out much due to the pandemic. I'm fully vaccinated now and getting out a bit more, but still haven't seen one out there yet.
Tony Pac (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 10:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Also the reason I didn’t see many 2nd gen is that Montréal was in lockdown for a while and overall, I am noticing new car sales are down in Canada compared to USA. I know someone who works for Audi and VW group told me that sales are slow for them.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Also the reason I didn’t see many 2nd gen is that Montréal was in lockdown for a while and overall, I am noticing new car sales are down in Canada compared to USA. I know someone who works for Audi and VW group told me that sales are slow for them.
I guess it depends on each dealership. Audi St. Laurent is having a great month. Showroom is empty and inventory is low. Unless it's BS, but my seller was pretty transparent so seems legit.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
I live in South Florida.
Im from Jersey but currently in the Fort Myers area and have seen a few 2G TLXs around here, Estero and Cape Coral. But in general, I see very few Acuras in this area. (In my travels, the dropoff in the number of observable newer Acuras is substantial once leaving the northeast.)
Old 04-03-2021, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by robnalex
I've seen zero 2nd Gen TLX in the Raleigh, NC area (other than my own), but then I haven't gotten out much due to the pandemic. I'm fully vaccinated now and getting out a bit more, but still haven't seen one out there yet.
Have only seen 2 a Red which was very nice color & a black one. Both in the area of North Hills mall. They are as rare as hens teeth in North Raleigh. Used to be you could not stop at a light & not see a TL. Official car of the real estate agents.

Brand making the most impact in the area is Audi. Where it once was MB, BMW, Acura its now MB, BMW, Audi. The MB SUV's have been the most popular over the years but the BMW X line is doing well. Acura is still doing well with the MDX.

FORD, Chevy & Cadillac (chevy) are the leaders in the super sized SUV's with GMC (chevy) then Dodge trailing. The other brands don't really have competitive products even though some build large SUV's.

We have a Range Rover & Cayenne (daughters cars) in the the family but for what I use the Suburban for they are more like square sedans.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-03-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Other than mine, I have only seen one other 2G TLX in the Cincinnati area, and that was back in January.

Quick Reply: Poor sales?