Poor sales?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 03:40 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
Accord is the best sedan on the planet. Has it been C&D 10 Best like 30 years now or something like that?
Are you living under a rock?! Chevy Malibu is now king of the hill:

Last edited by leomio85; 11-19-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Are you living under a rock?! Chevy Malibu is now king of the hill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_wdo4ihcd8

Actually the new Malibu Turbo is a very nice competent sporty mainstream sedan...not completely Accord good but definitely 90-95%....
Old 11-19-2020, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
I only come here when I'm bored out of my mind with nothing to do at work. I do so for conversations like this one because you guys are car guys, not just Acura guys, and for interesting discussions like this. I couldn't agree more. Accord is the best sedan on the planet. Has it been C&D 10 Best like 30 years now or something like that? I should have gone with my gut and got a 10G rather than the TLX 1G. Damn AWD was too appealing. Long gone are the days where the Accord had little or few options and you needed the Legend or Vigor for leather, power everything and a V6 engine. Cars have funneled into the same channel with loaded base models econoboxes. I mean, they can't rely on fog lights to sell their upper trims forever.

I agree with fiatlux on the marketing though. The other brands have great tag lines to go with their great products. Even the commercials are better. BMW has one out stringing Christmas lights drifting and doing donuts. Resonates with performance. MB has one with a stuffed animal on a big rig grill on a cold winter night. Resonates with warmth and comfort. Lexus has dad buys mom a car because he can and cares. Resonates with the haves in America. Meanwhile, Acura has the wild west rescuing damsels in distress from steam trains. Maybe they want to connect with all the millennials who are Clint Eastwood fans? The part where he turns the knob to Sport Mode like it activates the turbo or NO2 is a huge facepalm. Like the Explorer commercial where he turn the knob from Normal to Rain or Mud as he drives through a puddle... who writes these commercials and are most buyers really that dumb??
In a bit of irony, my wife pointed out that the latest Acura commercial isn't 2020 woke because it perpetuates the tired trope of the damsel in distress needing to be saved by a man, so this may not actually backfire against millennials (especially among women who seem to make up a fair share of 1G TLX drivers that I see around here).
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ELIN (11-19-2020), someguy11 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 05:24 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Manufacturers don't have a "say" on what a dealer charges for a vehicle. Dealers are free to ask for what they'd like to get. Not that manufacturers don't get "ticked off" at dealers...when the
makers want to get a great vehicle in to the hands of more people who can afford them...and then the dealers do the ADM thing. But, the dealers prevail.
The key way and easiest for me to get a new Acura is the fact I've been buying them for yrs now from the same dealer. So, I get treated very well!! Hey, when a GM gives your wife a Tiffany whiskey
decanter....then you know you're in the "elite buyers group"
with that dealer. I generally pay right at Invoice for most all Acura's I've purchased. I'm sure if I go back through my folders...on each one
I can find a sale or 2 that were under Invoice.
I could have easily purchased a '20 TLX A-Spec for Invoice. No back and forth...just "here's the price for you"....and off we go. So, loyalty to a great dealership helps if you buy as often as I do.
They don't want to lose my business. It's not all about how much profit on each sale....it's also for them...moving a unit. That helps with their Dist. Sales status and thus more allocations when they
want them. My dealer is the #1 in their Dist. AND one of the top 10 in the U.S. most months. Volume for new models sold....and they do great with "pre owned" Acura's.

Is this what your Acura dealership gave you? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagrams-17...UAAOSw-11ftrbY
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 07:12 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by RedOctober
My local Acura dealer got 21 TLXs, and sold just 1 in 3 weeks.

How do I know? I go to website everyday, and see number of cars, and compare to VIN numbers I recorder earlier.

So yes, sales are slow...
Wow...that's really pathetic esp for brand new redone fairly well loved Acura. I've owned a few. It falls in place with my friend,
the New Car Mgr at my dealership. He pretty much said I was right, that sales are looking "not so good" so far. Looky Lous...but, not
much happening with actual sales. And they are the #1 dealer in their Dist. and often in the top 10 to top 20 in the U.S.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:16 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Is this what your Acura dealership gave you? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagrams-17...UAAOSw-11ftrbY
So...??? What's your point? Cost is not the issue. It's WHO they give them to. And I know it's not everyone that bought a vehicle. They don't do that now.
That was 2 yrs ago next month. New GM now...I doubt he gives lollipops!! The outgoing GM was there for many yrs and built them up from the bottom
of the Dist. to the top. It was the gesture. I saw the "closet" where he had a few. Again, it was special to us...the gesture....and obviously not that many
avail...and his choice who he gave anything to like that. You'd get....maybe a keychain. LOL! Or I can send you one. I've got a TON of Acura Merch. LOL!!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 11-19-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
In a bit of irony, my wife pointed out that the latest Acura commercial isn't 2020 woke because it perpetuates the tired trope of the damsel in distress needing to be saved by a man, so this may not actually backfire against millennials (especially among women who seem to make up a fair share of 1G TLX drivers that I see around here).
At least after the cut scene, she's in the driver seat.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnage719:
ELIN (11-19-2020), someguy11 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 07:25 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Wow...that's really pathetic esp for brand new redone fairly well loved Acura. I've owned a few. It falls in place with my friend,
the New Car Mgr at my dealership. He pretty much said I was right, that sales are looking "not so good" so far. Looky Lous...but, not
much happening with actual sales. And they are the #1 dealer in their Dist. and often in the top 10 to top 20 in the U.S.
Which dealership, Courtesy Acura? I'm in Colorado Springs and refused to buy from "Dealing Doug Moreland's" Pikes Peak Acura, and purchased my TLX from Courtesy.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Carnage719
Which dealership, Courtesy Acura? I'm in Colorado Springs and refused to buy from "Dealing Doug Moreland's" Pikes Peak Acura, and purchased my TLX from Courtesy.
I would never...have never bought from Pikes Peak Acura. All but one of my Acuras were bought from Courtesy. All my deals are done via email, text, and phone.
They have been the best. Again, like I've written before....IF you find a great dealership and are a "frequent buyer"....then it's easy to make deals. I really don't have to
"work a deal" anymore. I just ask..."how much?" They already know to shoot me the best deal. This isn't my first rodeo. I'm soon to pass 40 new cars purchased, and
60+ vehicles in my lifetime...so far. LOL! Just like cars, SUV's....and trade too often. But, life is short.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:56 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Just to update you. I've never looked it up till now. Those you referenced are: Used...glass. There is one like ours...heavy lead crystal for just over $100 plus shipping..USED.
Again, for us it was the gesture, not value...although I knew it wasn't "dollar store junk."
Old 11-19-2020, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
So...??? What's your point? Cost is not the issue. It's WHO they give them to. And I know it's not everyone that bought a vehicle. They don't do that now.
That was 2 yrs ago next month. New GM now...I doubt he gives lollipops!! The outgoing GM was there for many yrs and built them up from the bottom
of the Dist. to the top. It was the gesture. I saw the "closet" where he had a few. Again, it was special to us...the gesture....and obviously not that many
avail...and his choice who he gave anything to like that. You'd get....maybe a keychain. LOL! Or I can send you one. I've got a TON of Acura Merch. LOL!!!
Haters are gonna hate. Not sure why and how people feel so motivated to trash Acura here....
Old 11-20-2020, 12:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
Haters are gonna hate. Not sure why and how people feel so motivated to trash Acura here....
Acura is like the underachieving child that has what it takes to go to an Ivy League school but wound up dicking around the past 10 years and ended up going to a state school to study art history.
The following 8 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (11-20-2020), BEAR-AvHistory (11-20-2020), CollinR4 (11-21-2020), hadokenuh (11-25-2020), leomio85 (11-20-2020), pyrodan007 (11-20-2020), silverTL6 (12-02-2020), someguy11 (11-20-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-20-2020, 06:04 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Just to update you. I've never looked it up till now. Those you referenced are: Used...glass. There is one like ours...heavy lead crystal for just over $100 plus shipping..USED.
Again, for us it was the gesture, not value...although I knew it wasn't "dollar store junk."
Yeah that's cool. I was just wondering what Acura gives to valued customers as yourself.

BEAR-AvHistory (11-20-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:53 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Yeah that's cool. I was just wondering what Acura gives to valued customers as yourself.

Just for clarity...since some on here...don't have much car buying experience or understand the "whole mfg/dealership" business models.
Acura didn't give us anything. It was the GM of the Acura dealership where I have purchased many Acuras. He pays for "gifts" and gives out
as he feels like. Some GM's don't do much...others much more. Acura blds the vehicles...franchised dealers buy them and sell them...for
any price they choose. Besides being the GM he was also part owner of the dealership.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 11-21-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Just for clarity...since some on here...don't have much car buying experience or understand the "whole mfg/dealership" business models.
Acura didn't give us anything. It was the GM of the Acura dealership where I have purchased many Acuras. He pays for "gifts" and gives out
as he feels like. Some GM's don't do much...others much more. Acura blds the vehicles...franchised dealers buy them and sell them...for
any price they choose. Besides being the GM he was also part owner of the dealership.
This is why I said haters are going to hate. This case has nothing to do with Acura the brand itself, and was a rather nice gesture from the dealership, but still was being made fun of. What was the point?
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:31 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

This is why I said haters are going to hate. This case has nothing to do with Acura the brand itself, and was a rather nice gesture from the dealership, but still was being made fun of. What was the point?

Stop assuming things.

I'm far from a "hater". There's nothing to me to hate about. 2nd, I wanted to know what the dealership gave him but to be honest, it doesn't matter to me, I was curious. Thanks for making it into something it wasn't.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Stop assuming things.

I'm far from a "hater". There's nothing to me to hate about. 2nd, I wanted to know what the dealership gave him but to be honest, it doesn't matter to me, I was curious. Thanks for making it into something it wasn't.
I do apologize for making this seemingly a big deal. Was generalizing by many negativities on this forum, not necessarily 100% on your comment. I am not attached to Acura/Honda like I used to be, so that is also why I don't really care if they make good or average cars.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I just compared the 2G TLX against a 2021 E350 4MATIC (turbo 4 cyl.). The TLX is slightly wider and longer with more trunk space. It only loses about an inch rear legroom to the E350.

Did the E-Class interior shrink?!!! I had a 2014 E350 that felt roomier than a Camry or Altima.
Note that the cars to the right are all turbo 4-cyl. and have anywhere from 80-90% of the features for the TLX and ~$10k more MSRP (I'll put that savings towards something else!)
Attached Thumbnails Poor sales?-comparo1.png   Poor sales?-comparo2.png  
Old 11-24-2020, 03:02 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I do apologize for making this seemingly a big deal. Was generalizing by many negativities on this forum, not necessarily 100% on your comment. I am not attached to Acura/Honda like I used to be, so that is also why I don't really care if they make good or average cars.
Interesting take bruh. If you're not attached to Hondacura or whether they make good or average cars, why are you hanging out on a forum with enthusiasts who do? Also, "haters gonna hate" is dismissive of the opinions of those, like me, who bought a TLX to love, but ended up being meh about it or even hating it because it was a mediocre car, at best. We didn't buy our cars to so we could head to forums to be haters. When we do share our opinions on the TLX, it's because we expect(ed) or demand(ed) better. If we keep marginalizing the pundits, enthusiasts and comparisons to superior cars because their poop don't stink or something, we enable Acura to keep churning out mediocre cars.
pyrodan007 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Interesting take bruh. If you're not attached to Hondacura or whether they make good or average cars, why are you hanging out on a forum with enthusiasts who do? Also, "haters gonna hate" is dismissive of the opinions of those, like me, who bought a TLX to love, but ended up being meh about it or even hating it because it was a mediocre car, at best. We didn't buy our cars to so we could head to forums to be haters. When we do share our opinions on the TLX, it's because we expect(ed) or demand(ed) better. If we keep marginalizing the pundits, enthusiasts and comparisons to superior cars because their poop don't stink or something, we enable Acura to keep churning out mediocre cars.
We do appreciate the noble service you and others provide. Perhaps the criticism is also fueled a little by the embarrassment of buying a car you didn't like and feeling kinda sheepish about the decision, as an enthusisast? And I don't believe the vast majority of the pundits are referring to the new TLX as a mediocre car, just to set the record straight.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:15 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
I'm curious to see what ya'll think when ya'll drive one. Just saying.

I know it's a pricey car, but I think forvthofor those who purchase it, they're going to feel good about it if they keep the car for 12 years and 250K miles. (Given it's a solid powertrain, which it will probably be)

One thing you can't say about an Audi or BMW.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery

I know it's a pricey car, but I think forvthofor those who purchase it, they're going to feel good about it if they keep the car for 12 years and 250K miles. (Given it's a solid powertrain, which it will probably be)

Check out the owner’s thread. I think it’s the perfect commuting car!
Old 11-26-2020, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 32 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday. I like it a lot. Traded in my 2018 Aspec. There are things I miss about my 2018 but not much. I’m happy with the new one.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by izzle22
Picked mine up yesterday. I like it a lot. Traded in my 2018 Aspec. There are things I miss about my 2018 but not much. I’m happy with the new one.
Would love your thoughts in the owner’s thread!
Old 11-26-2020, 09:14 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
We do appreciate the noble service you and others provide. Perhaps the criticism is also fueled a little by the embarrassment of buying a car you didn't like and feeling kinda sheepish about the decision, as an enthusisast? And I don't believe the vast majority of the pundits are referring to the new TLX as a mediocre car, just to set the record straight.
And thanks for your service as white knight for Acura. I thought we agreed to disagree once before, but you proved yet again I ruffle your feathers. I'm not embarrassed about my decision to buy a mediocre car. I would have cared more if I ate the loss and kept the car, because it found a way to irritate me off every time I drove it. The lesson I learned with the 1G TLX in particular was that I should have spent more time on forums researching it. No other car required that, including my TSX, which was great, and my GS, which is great. I didn't go to clublexus to make sure the GS would be good before I bought it. Having a Lexus badge meant I didn't have to do so.

And to set the record straight on what I said versus what you read, I said Acura will continue to churn out mediocre cars, not just the TLX, but check out reviews for the ILX and the RLX. Lucky for Acura, there will always be people who drink the kool-aid and keep buying them.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:32 AM
Drifting

And thanks for your service as white knight for Acura. I thought we agreed to disagree once before, but you proved yet again I ruffle your feathers. I'm not embarrassed about my decision to buy a mediocre car. I would have cared more if I ate the loss and kept the car, because it found a way to irritate me off every time I drove it. The lesson I learned with the 1G TLX in particular was that I should have spent more time on forums researching it. No other car required that, including my TSX, which was great, and my GS, which is great. I didn't go to clublexus to make sure the GS would be good before I bought it. Having a Lexus badge meant I didn't have to do so.

And to set the record straight on what I said versus what you read, I said Acura will continue to churn out mediocre cars, not just the TLX, but check out reviews for the ILX and the RLX. Lucky for Acura, there will always be people who drink the kool-aid and keep buying them.
No Kool Aid required on my part. Having come from German luxury (and the other car still is a Benz), I saw the value proposition in sticking with Acura. In other threads, I also explained why I "left" BMW, Audi, and MB.
F23A4 (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Will qualify this by saying in general except for something very special have no interest in or need to keeping a car for 12 years or 250,000 miles. Expect most people buying a premium or luxury car are in the same boat. About the only things in the neighborhood over say 5 years old are pickup trucks or SUV's which 7 of the 12 houses have one in the driveway in addition to their cars.

That said sold one BMW 330CI ZHP at 10 years and still have another BMW 135is with 8 years on it. Less mileage than a 250,000 mile car but no major expenses so far. Only had two cars 28/29 years of ownership & one truck 22 (still have) years since 1960 that went over 250,000 miles. Don't find it extraordinary.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:21 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Will qualify this by saying in general except for something very special have no interest in or need to keeping a car for 12 years or 250,000 miles. Expect most people buying a premium or luxury car are in the same boat. About the only things in the neighborhood over say 5 years old are pickup trucks or SUV's which 7 of the 12 houses have one in the driveway in addition to their cars.

That said sold one BMW 330CI ZHP at 10 years and still have another BMW 135is with 8 years on it. Less mileage than a 250,000 mile car but no major expenses so far. Only had two cars 28/29 years of ownership & one truck 22 (still have) years since 1960 that went over 250,000 miles. Don't find it extraordinary.

Must be a regional thing.

I live in Southeast Louisiana, people here keep cars forever. LOL No joke. I think 12-15 years is about average.

My aunt still has her 1994 Maxima and it looks mint, so does my uncle's 2005 Duramax.

lots of older cars on the road and they all look new.

Funny how you go an hour away in Mississippi and it's totally reversed. People will trade a 2016 car because "it's old".... LOL

I wasn't raised that way.... just seems super vain and wasteful to sell a good car if you still enjoy it.

Enough about me or my region, but I think what applies to you in your area may be very different not too far away. Funny how different communities view car buying/owning as a whole.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts

I live in Southeast Louisiana, people here keep cars forever. LOL No joke. I think 12-15 years is about average.

My aunt still has her 1994 Maxima and it looks mint, so does my uncle's 2005 Duramax.

Funny how you go an hour away in Mississippi and it's totally reversed. People will trade a 2016 car because "it's old".... LOL

I wasn't raised that way.... just seems super vain and wasteful to sell a good car if you still enjoy it.

Enough about me or my region, but I think what applies to you in your area may be very different not too far away. Funny how different communities view car buying/owning as a whole.
Will agree on that. North Raleigh is the land of the new car. Sad thing is where you used to see 5 TL's backed up at a traffic light its now a collection of German & Lexus. They really dropped the ball with the 4G. That's why I think the TLX-2 is a good car with shitty marketing.

Don't know how vain we all are but I am a Jersey City guy that started owning cars in 1959 at 18. Worked in a paint factory while going to college. Very seldom back then did not get something new every two years which, except for a two year time out with the US Army, got to be an enjoyable habit. Also had keepers, some for as long as 28 years.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts

I think I may have hit a sore spot I'm not a Knight, just a guy who understands that no car is perfect under 100K or more, and it's a question of personal likes and preferences. However when the expression of personal opinion gets a little arrogantly preachy, I do like to respond. I also leased 3 different TSX's and enjoyed my time with them. However, my current 2018 2.4 Elite Aspec is a better car for several reasons , primarily because of the transmission and the refinement. Of course the tech is significantly better but that is to be expected. As for your comment about the RDX, no one questions the high tech deployment of hybrid technology and engine power. However, it is missing to many high end features for the price, which is why it's ceased to be. IF they give the ILX or its replacement an interior update similar to the TLX to go with it's very attractive exterior, and leave the 2.4 8DCT combo, they could have a decent seller.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts

The amount of time I keep a car is directly related to how much I like it. If only hold a car for a short time 1-3 years it's usually because I bought the wrong car to start with.I think it's great to like a car enough to keep it 10 years or more even when you can afford to buy a new car much more frequently.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by jhb31
The amount of time I keep a car is directly related to how much I like it. If only hold a car for a short time 1-3 years it's usually because I bought the wrong car to start with.I think it's great to like a car enough to keep it 10 years or more even when you can afford to buy a new car much more frequently.

Now that makes a lot of sense!
Old 11-28-2020, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhb31
I know leasing is not for everyone (especially if you drive a lot of miles) but it gives you the perfect chance to test drive the car and then buy the car when the lease is up. If you don't like it or no longer need it (as was the case with my MDX), simply return the car for a new one!
Old 11-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I don’t think it’s just a regional thing. It’s more what someone can afford IMO, and what stage of life they are in. I am lucky to have stable employment in a special field that continues to have a need. I can therefore afford to swap out daily drivers every 2-3 years. I’ve got a car addiction to feed .

Most people can’t afford a new car that often, or don’t see owning a nice car as a priority (my wife is the second category), and so they have to buy something that will last 10-12 years or more. A car is the second most expensive purchase most people will ever make in their life, and if they don’t buy a house, it is often the most expensive thing they will ever buy.

We posting here can typically afford that new car, and an expensive one at that. Financing or leasing an entry luxury car like a US$45k TLX doesn’t come easily for the majority of the population.

Now “stretching” to buy or lease a car you can’t really afford...that’s another story altogether...and something really common in the USA...

Just adding some perspective.

As far as the TLX not selling...it’s too early to tell IMO. Give it a few months and we’ll see what happens as the Type S is closer. Whether I’m still “in” depends on price and performance. We won’t know either for three months at the least. Either way, I’m enjoying my manual Accord.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
04WDPSeDaN (11-29-2020), a35tl (11-29-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:19 PM
Null and proud of it

If I remember correctly the 10G Accord was the same way.... Took a year or two for a lot of them to accumulate on the roads.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:22 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I think I may have hit a sore spot I'm not a Knight, just a guy who understands that no car is perfect under 100K or more, and it's a question of personal likes and preferences. However when the expression of personal opinion gets a little arrogantly preachy, I do like to respond. I also leased 3 different TSX's and enjoyed my time with them. However, my current 2018 2.4 Elite Aspec is a better car for several reasons , primarily because of the transmission and the refinement. Of course the tech is significantly better but that is to be expected. As for your comment about the RDX, no one questions the high tech deployment of hybrid technology and engine power. However, it is missing to many high end features for the price, which is why it's ceased to be. IF they give the ILX or its replacement an interior update similar to the TLX to go with it's very attractive exterior, and leave the 2.4 8DCT combo, they could have a decent seller.
A) You're really not that important to me. B) If I sound preachy, it's because I'm passionate. C) I said I believe the RLX and ILX are mediocre, at best, which is consistent with many reviews I skimmed in the last five minutes on 2020 offerings. For sake of discussion, you go on to say the RLX was missing many features for the price, despite being a tech powerhouse and flagship sedan. I mean, yeah, a V8 and AWD would make it not mediocre, but that's not the car it is. Same for the ILX. If we develop a whole new interior and keep improving the powertrain for it, it could be a decent seller. Sort of my point that it's currently mediocre. But Acura owners are shrewd and know it's a Civic. In my opinion, it deserves to be in the same conversation as the Cimarron when we talk about badge engineering. While the competition kept trying to be best, Acura kept doing Acura things to be a sport/luxury/value/mediocre car.

Last edited by someguy11; 11-30-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:43 AM
Drifting

A) You're really not that important to me. B) If I sound preachy, it's because I'm passionate. C) I said I believe the RLX and ILX are mediocre, at best, which is consistent with many reviews I skimmed in the last five minutes on 2020 offerings. For sake of discussion, you go on to say the RLX was missing many features for the price, despite being a tech powerhouse and flagship sedan. I mean, yeah, a V8 and AWD would make it not mediocre, but that's not the car it is. Same for the ILX. If we develop a whole new interior and keep improving the powertrain for it, it could be a decent seller. Sort of my point that it's currently mediocre. But Acura owners are shrewd and know it's a Civic. In my opinion, it deserves to be in the same conversation as the Cimarron when we talk about badge engineering. While the competition kept trying to be best, Acura kept doing Acura things to be a sport/luxury/value/mediocre car.
I have to admit that other than the MDX, I was not in love with Acura's recent offerings compared to the Integra, Legend, and TL's of the past. The recent cars reminded me too much of the Honda platforms they were based on and you're right, there wasn't enough compelling about the RLX or ILX or Acura would have sold way more of them.

As I've said before, the reason I was drawn to the newer TLX is because it was an entirely new platform that it doesn't share with Accord. That means when I pull up to the stop light and a 2021 Accord pulls up next to me, no one is going to wonder where the extra money went. I'm not a speed guy so that Accord can go zooming into the sunset for all I care. I seriously considered going back to Benz or BMW but after my test drive, I couldn't convince myself to pony up additional money to buy German this time.
someguy11 (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 121 Posts
Interesting comments regarding the ILX. Hopefully Acura will step up next year and give the ILX the same tech updates as the TLX - it sorely needs them. Give it its own dedicated platform, too, and make it less of a blinged-up Civic . I think there is a still a market out there for an entry level Japanese luxury sedan in the 33-38K range. With Acura's penchant for providing lots of standard features as opposed to the European propensity for making many features pricey options, the ILX could be a real contenda. The upcoming 2022 Audi A3 is going to blow it off the road, otherwise.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Interesting comments regarding the ILX. Hopefully Acura will step up next year and give the ILX the same tech updates as the TLX - it sorely needs them. Give it its own dedicated platform, too, and make it less of a blinged-up Civic . I think there is a still a market out there for an entry level Japanese luxury sedan in the 33-38K range. With Acura's penchant for providing lots of standard features as opposed to the European propensity for making many features pricey options, the ILX could be a real contenda. The upcoming 2022 Audi A3 is going to blow it off the road, otherwise.
Forget about the A3, even Honda's own redesigned 2022 Civic will beat it. The current tech in the TLX may sadly also be behind. The 2022 Civic will be getting a digital dash. The materials and sound system will probably be better in the TLX though.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:49 PM
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Forget about the A3, even Honda's own redesigned 2022 Civic will beat it. The current tech in the TLX may sadly also be behind. The 2022 Civic will be getting a digital dash. The materials and sound system will probably be better in the TLX though.
I saw pics of the 2022 Civic. Looks are subjective but I have seem more exciting looking packing crates. Interior pics of the new Civic admittedly look good and the tech is being brought up to date. Hopefully for Acura the next gen ILX will upgrade interior tech to a similar point while providing the various luxury appointments. Otherwise ILX shoppers are going to admittedly A. Set exterior styling issues aside and just save money and go for the Civic, or B. Head down the street to the Audi dealership and go for the next-gen A3; which will likely cost more but just be way more current. Anyway - this is the TLX thread, so forgive me for going off topic and discussing the "lowly" ILX. It's just too bad that it still IS lowly. There's a lot of potential there.

Quick Reply: Poor sales?