Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
pre-order the TLX right now, how many would plop down a deposit?
I already did.

So, at least One.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR

Not a fan of white on black on any car, the black on black in the video you posted before look better to me, but I can't wait for that type s in white though. Those rims are dark gray-ish
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:53 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
What model is that white one? I'll be honest, looking at those pics it's not doing anything for me. I will reserve my final judgement until I see it in person though. I'm sure I will like Type S. The size does not bother me one bit having kids I need the extra space. It will all come down to pricing and how it drives.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
What model is that white one? I'll be honest, looking at those pics it's not doing anything for me. I will reserve my final judgement until I see it in person though. I'm sure I will like Type S. The size does not bother me one bit having kids I need the extra space. It will all come down to pricing and how it drives.
if they made a manual, I'd be fine with the size. The size of my A6 is good for the family, but the size of my S4 is much better for driving and parking.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
interested in hearing why you chose the polestar instead of waiting for the type-s?
A big part of it was that I'm partial toward wagons, I wanted something exceedingly safe, I didn't want to risk the car being plagued with the same infotainment woes the unit in the RDX has been affected by, and I was off-put by my last few Acura dealership visits (this was across three dealerships, not just one). The V60 T8 Polestar is the only compact performance wagon in the US, and the only other performance wagon period for less than 6-figures is the XF Sportbrake S. The fact that it's a PHEV is just the cherry on top; I've driven 800 miles so far on it and I've only used about half a tank of gas. In fact, I'm enjoying the EV-only mode so much that my next car is almost certainly going to be a full BEV.

I'm terribly indecisive when it comes to what car to buy, and the fact that the V60 Polestar is quite literally the only car in its class made it a much less stressful decision. The other cars on the list I was strongly considering was the Outback XT Onyx (my cheap sensible pick), 4Runner TRD Pro, Wrangler Rubicon, Charger Hellcat, Land Cruiser, S5/RS5 Sportback, X3 M40i/X3M, GLC43/63, Macan S/GTS, XC40 T5, XC60 T8, Model 3, e-tron, and Q8 (clearly a wide variety of cars, and yes, I did get to drive them at various points). And on top of that, even though this is the top-spec car built in limited numbers, it still qualified for all the regular V60 incentives. These typically go for sticker, but I got over $12K worth of factory incentives, and that's even before factoring in the additional $6500 worth of tax credits and rebates. That certainly helped satiate the sensible value-driven part of my brain that brought me to Acura in the first place. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if out the door this ends up being cheaper than the Type-S, at least for the first year when dealerships are going to markup the bejeezus out of it; after factoring all the incentives and rebates, the V60 Polestar was effectively around $50K before tax, for a car that stickered at a hair under $70K. That's almost a 30% haircut, how could I say no?

I'm sure the Type-S will be a good car, but I'm not about to wait until 2022 (I do not trust a first model year car, especially with Acura's track record), and I do not want to deal with the inevitable snootiness from the dealers when they get their hands on the Type-S. I fully expect them to treat this car like it's an M3 killer that Jesus himself built by hand and imbued with his sweat and blood. I'm fortunate enough to be in a situation where financially I don't need to settle (subtle flex), and while I'm sure the Type-S is good bang for the buck, I have a strong inkling that over time I'd be annoyed by some of the cost cutting that allows for that type of value-oriented price. As much as I like the 1G TLX for how much I paid for it, every time I drive it I can't help but notice some of the compromises that were made to get it priced the way it is. Acuras do make good well-rounded cars for the price, but that's the thing: for the price. They're not great, they're not special, and they certainly aren't class-leading in any category, and I don't expect the Type-S to stray too far from that formula.

It also helps that in the real world, the V60 Polestar is almost certainly going to be faster than the Type-S in a straight line, thanks to the instant torque of the electric motors and the supercharger to fill in for the turbos while they spool up. Sure, it's not going to be a match for the Type-S at the track, but if I wanted a fun track toy from Honda I would go buy a CTR.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (08-17-2020), ESHBG (08-16-2020), justnspace (08-20-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BGR

Thanks. Looks like a 2021 TLX 2.0T, SH-AWD , 19in-wheels. white, ebony-leather

Just needs the windows tinted and I'll take it.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
A big part of it was that I'm partial toward wagons, I wanted something exceedingly safe, I didn't want to risk the car being plagued with the same infotainment woes the unit in the RDX has been affected by, and I was off-put by my last few Acura dealership visits (this was across three dealerships, not just one). The V60 T8 Polestar is the only compact performance wagon in the US, and the only other performance wagon period for less than 6-figures is the XF Sportbrake S. The fact that it's a PHEV is just the cherry on top; I've driven 800 miles so far on it and I've only used about half a tank of gas. In fact, I'm enjoying the EV-only mode so much that my next car is almost certainly going to be a full BEV.

I'm terribly indecisive when it comes to what car to buy, and the fact that the V60 Polestar is quite literally the only car in its class made it a much less stressful decision. The other cars on the list I was strongly considering was the Outback XT Onyx (my cheap sensible pick), 4Runner TRD Pro, Wrangler Rubicon, Charger Hellcat, Land Cruiser, S5/RS5 Sportback, X3 M40i/X3M, GLC43/63, Macan S/GTS, XC40 T5, XC60 T8, Model 3, e-tron, and Q8 (clearly a wide variety of cars, and yes, I did get to drive them at various points). And on top of that, even though this is the top-spec car built in limited numbers, it still qualified for all the regular V60 incentives. These typically go for sticker, but I got over $12K worth of factory incentives, and that's even before factoring in the additional $6500 worth of tax credits and rebates. That certainly helped satiate the sensible value-driven part of my brain that brought me to Acura in the first place. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if out the door this ends up being cheaper than the Type-S, at least for the first year when dealerships are going to markup the bejeezus out of it; after factoring all the incentives and rebates, the V60 Polestar was effectively around $50K before tax, for a car that stickered at a hair under $70K. That's almost a 30% haircut, how could I say no?

I'm sure the Type-S will be a good car, but I'm not about to wait until 2022 (I do not trust a first model year car, especially with Acura's track record), and I do not want to deal with the inevitable snootiness from the dealers when they get their hands on the Type-S. I fully expect them to treat this car like it's an M3 killer that Jesus himself built by hand and imbued with his sweat and blood. I'm fortunate enough to be in a situation where financially I don't need to settle (subtle flex), and while I'm sure the Type-S is good bang for the buck, I have a strong inkling that over time I'd be annoyed by some of the cost cutting that allows for that type of value-oriented price. As much as I like the 1G TLX for how much I paid for it, every time I drive it I can't help but notice some of the compromises that were made to get it priced the way it is. Acuras do make good well-rounded cars for the price, but that's the thing: for the price. They're not great, they're not special, and they certainly aren't class-leading in any category, and I don't expect the Type-S to stray too far from that formula.

It also helps that in the real world, the V60 Polestar is almost certainly going to be faster than the Type-S in a straight line, thanks to the instant torque of the electric motors and the supercharger to fill in for the turbos while they spool up. Sure, it's not going to be a match for the Type-S at the track, but if I wanted a fun track toy from Honda I would go buy a CTR.
A Polestar wagon for $50k, damn. Well done sir, beautiful car. I considered an S60 T6 wagon last year but nice my used A6 instead. If the S60 offered a manual, i probably would have bought new. I'm a "won't buy new guy", although my next car might be. But now that I found my 2015 S4 6MT, it'll be a while before I let it go. I'm waiting to see if Subaru brings back the wagon for the new STi.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
What model is that white one?
Can see the HUD in the 3rd and 4th pictures so it's the Advanced model.
The following 2 users liked this post by CollinR4:
Speed_Racer (08-16-2020), Tesla1856 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
I am really interested in the new TLX, but sadly, it will be too wide if I ever hope to exit the vehicle when our MDX is also parked in the garage. The first gen TLX was *just* right dimensions-wise, so I'll have to look for a smaller car.

It looks great overall, especially the front half. The new TLX really lost something between concept to production with the addition of door handles (what's the rear door handle doing facing almost upward?) and the softened tail lights. On the up side, I love the diffuser and real exhaust tips.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TLXinTX
I am really interested in the new TLX, but sadly, it will be too wide if I ever hope to exit the vehicle when our MDX is also parked in the garage. The first gen TLX was *just* right dimensions-wise, so I'll have to look for a smaller car.
Well, AFAIK, it's only about 2 inches wider and 3 inches longer that 2020-TLX .

My 3 posts start here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16609842

When we got the 2014-MDX ... park it on the right, so driver enters from the middle of garage. Passengers enter/exit outside garage.
Get yourself some garage parking lasers. It's now easy to park within 1-inch of desired spot.

You should have 18-inches between GarageDoor frame and wall. Remove those boxes/shelves and you can park ... shifted-over a bit "in your half" and even at a slight angle. For me, it's gotta fit because I don't believe in not garaging my vehicles.

If the sedan won't be driven for a day-or-so ... I often (carefully) manually fold-in the passenger-side mirror. Unfold-it as I walk around car to get in. I hope some of that helps.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-15-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
Costco (08-16-2020), TLXinTX (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I was really hoping that I would like this car but unfortunately it just doesn't look like it will be for me. Exterior wise there's way too much going on yet somehow it still looks kind of boring, and it is way too long for my needs as well. Interior wise I am just not a fan.

I will reserve my final judgement for when I see one in person but as of now this car is being removed from my list. Unfortunate, as I really did have high hopes.
I'm with you on reserving my final opinion when I see one in person. Hopefully, the A-Spec and Type-S will look a lot more interesting.

Since the official announcement and photos, I can't get past how unattractive the taillights are.
ESHBG (08-16-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:49 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I already did.

So, at least One.
i would as well as many of my friends.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Definitely Acura can’t have the success of RDX with the new TLX due to the current market and demand. Everyone wants a suv. But I am predicting the new TLX will be a success among sedans. I feel like acura got it right this time

let’s forget the Type S for a second. The base is 270HP more than A4, C300 and 330. With all the techs and features with a reasonable price. It will do well.

Type S is another animal and it won’t sell in volume anyway.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:11 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I can't get past the front end design, where the top part of the front bumper meets the hood. Reminds me of the dodge charger or most mopar designs. In my opinion, it really needs the A-spec kit to look aggressive and complete. Without it, it looks terrible.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Definitely Acura can’t have the success of RDX with the new TLX due to the current market and demand. Everyone wants a suv. But I am predicting the new TLX will be a success among sedans. I feel like acura got it right this time

let’s forget the Type S for a second. The base is 270HP more than A4, C300 and 330. With all the techs and features with a reasonable price. It will do well.

Type S is another animal and it won’t sell in volume anyway.
My thought is base vs base most are shopping branding. They are willing to give up stuff to get the logo otherwise why buy the car in the first place. Debate goes on at the BMW site over de-badging. Reality is the most de-badged line of cars are the 330's.

Think the TLX will just have to stand on its own as a good around car. People are not going to buy many just because it has a better price than a German base. There are a whole lot of cars that out feature the base German cars & are priced better.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:42 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I'll be honest, looking at those pics it's not doing anything for me. I will reserve my final judgement until I see it in person though.
I was really hoping for a home run for Acura but it doesn't do it for me either, very disappointing. Sad when Acura is less sporty than Buick.
ESHBG (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 03:40 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I was curious to see how people felt about the 3G TL before it was released:

Things I Hate about It

Interesting.
The following 4 users liked this post by Costco:
a35tl (08-16-2020), Legend2TL (08-16-2020), Midnight Mystery (08-16-2020), Speed_Racer (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 04:58 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
That pre-production pic may be misleading. I'm sure Acura made it look as bland as possible as to not stand out to not draw any attention to it. At least I hope. Hopefully it looks better in its actual production run and in-person, even more so for the Type S. If not, it just makes the decision to walk away that much easier.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Those photos of the white TLX look terrible.

Completely changes my outlook on the car if it looks like that on the street. Super long

Lets hope its only the rims making that car look so bad

The following 2 users liked this post by AcuraFan1980:
04WDPSeDaN (08-17-2020), ESHBG (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

I think it looks alright, but I really hope those aren't production wheels. Dirty matte black just makes it look like someone was too poor for new wheels or a proper powdercoat job and decided to just spend $10 on a can of plastidip.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:02 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Not to worry. Even if Acura uses matte black wheels as OEM wheels, it will always offers other (prettier) wheel choices as factory options. Just make sure you have the salesman write it down explicitly in the sales agreement.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I think it looks alright, but I really hope those aren't production wheels. Dirty matte black just makes it look like someone was too poor for new wheels or a proper powdercoat job and decided to just spend $10 on a can of plastidip.
Can't say I've ever owned a car with black wheels like that. I think they look fine, especially on the white TLX (and the other various black trim pieces).

Kinda like how I think shiny chrome looks better on silver/gray vehicles.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraFan1980
Those photos of the white TLX look terrible.

Completely changes my outlook on the car if it looks like that on the street. Super long

Lets hope its only the rims making that car look so bad
I think the final product will look significantly better. The video someone posted 2 or 3 weeks ago with the silver one driving on a public road looked much, much better.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
I was curious to see how people felt about the 3G TL before it was released:

Things I Hate about It

Interesting.

That's one helluva archive!
Old 08-16-2020, 11:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Talking

Well, I was expecting the best looking car ever made with every feature available included and a manual transmission and hatch back mode, and everything else I've ever wanted in a car for thousands less than the Germans.....so I'm out. I was really hoping they would give it all to me....but I feel good about my snap judgement prior to actual relase. Still, fingers crossed for 500HP......

On a related note, is the expression of an opinion in the online world involving shades of grey verbotten, or just a lost art?

The following 6 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (08-17-2020), Costco (08-17-2020), Legend2TL (08-17-2020), Mak P (08-17-2020), pnoi521 (08-17-2020), Tesla1856 (08-16-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
^
Old 08-17-2020, 10:56 AM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Looking through that 3G TL archive, I'm surprised by the negative comments. Was definitely a sort of radical redesign at the time. Also, its one of those times where the production model looked better than the concept.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by honda_nut
Looking through that 3G TL archive, I'm surprised by the negative comments.
Agreed. I read it too and was thinking the same thing. "Petty" comes to mind.
Your opinion is valuable because it looks like you owned 2 TL's from that time-frame. Those were even nicer than my similar 2004-Accord-V6 (which I still drive) ... best car I've ever owned and really not eager to trade it away.
Like always, the local Honda dealer has always treated us fairly ... even Honda corporate on an expensive Goodwill-Repair of HVAC/Radio head-unit (years after factory and extended warranties has expired).
That owner also runs the Acura dealer. The 2014-MDX was another good 6-year vehicle experience.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-17-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2020, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Never had a 2G but did have a 3G. My thought was I really liked the 3G design & kept the car twice as long as I usually keep a DD. That said I could see people thinking the 2G was a more upscale design. It just had that more substantial look.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Just found this my '06 Graphite 6MT TL in an old Acurazine 3G thread. The side running light front & rear were smoked gray & the car ran 255 Yokohama ES100's

The thread posting

Major TL victory in on ramp GP

The Black 3G TL spots his adversary a red pickup truck a bit ahead on the inside lane heading to the Capital Blvd/540 two lane onramp. The TL hits his gas & comes abreast of his sitting duck quarry.

The quarry spots the high closure rate in his mirror & hit his power just as they both enter the 180 degree onramp. Up the ramp they go TL on the outside sitting duck on the inside.

But wait, something's wrong; the duck has taken flight. Inch by inch, degree by degree the duck is slowly pulling ahead at 55-60mph. By the 180th degree the sitter has the TL few inches off his back bumper checking out the tail gate.

But no sitting duck is going to put down a mighty TL in an onramp GP. At 180 degrees where the road straightens out the TL goes pedal to the metal using his 156HP advantage to quickly run up to an estimated 90-100mph while the dead duck pickup is lumbering along at 70 thereby saving the day for Acura with a last minute victory.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:30 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
The TSX was what originally brought me Acura. It was a simple yet timeless design with an interior that looked gorgeous compared to others at the time. Then the 3G TL was released, and I was blown away. It was stunning, the blue gauges, the large navigation screen, the overhead ambient lighting, the spaceship like sidemarkers, and the bi-xenon projectors. I had to have one, but high school me could only afford a 2G TL. I remember showing off my navigation system to friends. I eventually upgraded to 3G in college. Had my fair share of issues with both, but I still look back at 3Gs today. There's something about it that just felt right even though I despised mine towards the end.

In contrast, my TLX just feels cold. Like an appliance that I drive back and forth to work. Sure 2.4 / 8DCT combo drives surprisingly well, but nothing about it seems special enough to want another. I think part of that reason is because basic cars like the Accord and even Civic have become so good. There's not much else that the TLX offers in terms of features.

Last edited by honda_nut; 08-17-2020 at 04:38 PM.
pyrodan007 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
The more I look at that TLX photo, the more I see the Maxima from years ago.. and I hate it

Although, I know it won't look like that when officially released ;]

Can't wait for normal white car photos of the new one. Should be anyway now
Old 08-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

The TSX was what originally brought me Acura. It was a simple yet timeless design with an interior that looked gorgeous compared to others at the time. Then the 3G TL was released, and I was blown away. It was stunning, the blue gauges, the large navigation screen, the overhead ambient lighting, the spaceship like sidemarkers, and the bi-xenon projectors. I had to have one, but high school me could only afford a 2G TL. I remember showing off my navigation system to friends. I eventually upgraded to 3G in college. Had my fair share of issues with both, but I still look back at 3Gs today. There's something about it that just felt right even though I despised mine towards the end.

In contrast, my TLX just feels cold. Like an appliance that I drive back and forth to work. Sure 2.4 / 8DCT combo drives surprisingly well, but nothing about it seems special enough to want another. I think part of that reason is because basic cars like the Accord and even Civic have become so good. There's not much else that the TLX offers in terms of features.
Maximum Bob Lutz predicted this about 10 years ago. Said that product differentiation was going to get very difficult because the basic transportation cars were becoming so good & feature rich.
The following 4 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
Costco (08-18-2020), honda_nut (08-18-2020), Legend2TL (08-18-2020), mapleloaf (08-19-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Smile Hondas are good too

Nothing wrong with an Accord.

But ever since my wife test-drove a new 2013 Infinity (7-passenger) SUV with a CVT-transmission ... she forbids me from every buying a car with a CVT .

That pushes us to an Accord 2.0T Touring. Have you ever priced one? Well, I have and I think I might as well buy another Acura. We almost bought a 2020 TLX (the cheapest one with FWD). It didn't seem "cold" to us, but we understand it's just a machine. So, I came home and did some research and the rest is history.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-17-2020 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
BEAR-AvHistory (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 11:11 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Nothing wrong with an Accord.

But ever since my wife test-drove a new 2013 Infinity (7-passenger) SUV with a CVT-transmission ... she forbids me from every buying a car with a CVT .

That pushes us to an Accord 2.0T Touring. Have you ever priced one? Well, I have and I think I might as well buy another Acura. We almost bought a 2020 TLX (the cheapest one with FWD). It didn't seem "cold" to us, but we understand it's just a machine. So, I came home and did some research and the rest is history.

So.......... whadijya get?
Old 08-17-2020, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
So.......... whadijya get?
Back then, we got her a 2014-MDX Tech/SH-AWD .

I'm getting a 2021-TLX 2.0T, Tech/SH-AWD .
The following 3 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-18-2020), mapleloaf (08-19-2020), Midnight Mystery (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 02:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Maximum Bob Lutz predicted this about 10 years ago. Said that product differentiation was going to get very difficult because the basic transportation cars were becoming so good & feature rich.
+1 Contentization has truly changed the car industry, I think you and I are old enough to remember when cool features like automatic climate control, power door locks, power mirrors, and power windows were mostly on high end cars like a 7 series. Now my daughters bottom of the line Honda Civic LX has all that along with electric parking brake, traction control, ABS, stability control, airbags, backup camera,.... Truly amazing what reliable low-cost electronics has done to modern vehicles.
The following 8 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-18-2020), Costco (08-18-2020), honda_nut (08-18-2020), Jiten Patel (08-19-2020), mapleloaf (08-19-2020), Midnight Mystery (08-18-2020), pyrodan007 (08-18-2020), Speed_Racer (08-18-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:05 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
+1 Contentization has truly changed the car industry, I think you and I are old enough to remember when cool features like automatic climate control, power door locks, power mirrors, and power windows were mostly on high end cars like a 7 series. Now my daughters bottom of the line Honda Civic LX has all that along with electric parking brake, traction control, ABS, stability control, airbags, backup camera,.... Truly amazing what reliable low-cost electronics has done to modern vehicles.
I blame the Koreans for making what used to be luxury items standard on cars now
Old 08-20-2020, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

This is why I’m glad it’s see Acura get out of the value-luxury game. A lot of people think luxury comes down to the feature-set, but that is no longer defensible moat for them because many of these features are now available on mainstream cars. Instead, luxury is more about execution and excess, but the latter is fundamentally against Honda’s (and my extension Acura’s) ethos. Does a car need a leather dashboard? Or 4-zone climate control? Or power trunk for a sedan? Or power sunshades for the side windows? Or heated armrests and massaging seats? Or a built in fragrance system for when someone cuts one loose? Or vents that change colors based on the temperature of the air coming out? Or an obscene amount of real open-pore wood? Heck no, but these are things you’d never find on mainstream cars (at least not now) because the utility-to-cost ratio is so poor. And those are things I would never expect to see on an Acura because it flies in the face of “value”, which makes you wonder how they can set themselves apart of mainstream brands.

The other considerations are things like NVH, refinement, build quality, and customer experience, and while Acura has made great strides the previous gen with the first two, God knows there’s a lot of room for improvement for the other two.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:19 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I suspect Aura is primarily interested in converting Accord buyers to Acura more so than stealing consumers from Lexus and BMW etc etc. When I bought my 2015 TLX is was hands down more quiet with less NVH than any Accord for sale. Plus the interior was more refined (by small degrees) than the Accord. Plus it had more advanced safety features and sportier drive train options (DCT) - so it was a pretty clear step up. I don't care if you call it luxury - it was nicer than any other Honda option.

The 2nd gen will need to meet that criteria at the very least - surpass the current Accord in the areas that matter most. It doesn't even have to be by leaps and bounds as long as it all adds up to a nicer car. The problem they face now is the Accord is a pretty nice car and plenty good enough for most consumers. They gain a little prestige with the Acura badge (not much really) but if they really want prestige they shop Lexus etc. It's such a tough space to be in these days. That said - I'm looking forward to seeing and driving one when they hit the streets.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)