Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 11:18 AM
BGR
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 95 Posts
I don’t have a problem with Acura taking a while to get things right because they do need to get this car as close to perfection as possible. The issue I have is the overall timing and communication. The precision cockpit and concept were revealed in 2016 then the RDX in early 2018.

Just in the past year they’ve had test mules with production headlights and other car parts since at least last March followed up by a Car and Driver interview that said MDX and TLX were on par for early 2020 at the latest. I would not have introduced the Type S concept, which is essentially a TLX, so early especially if they don’t show anything in Chicago. They marketed that concept car every day on Facebook for a while and that got old really quick.

At this point it’s the 6th year for the TLX and they’ve been heavily discounted for a while. With all the new cars coming out Acura needs to at least show a prototype similar to the RDX. The Japanese luxury sedan market hasn’t been all that exiting over the last generation and with the likes of Genesis and the other luxury sedans coming to market there’s no reason to be so secretive. It just hit me the MDX hasn’t had a full redesign since 2014 even before the TLX and that car is selling on major discounts as well.

One major concern for me is I can't get solid confirmation the TLX will have the precision cockpit although the new MDX will have it.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:37 AM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
One major concern for me is I can't get solid confirmation the TLX will have the precision cockpit although the new MDX will have it.
I would think that whatever the MDX gets, the TLX should get too, since they're in the same "class" for the lack of a better word. Like how the current TLX and MDX have basically the same interior and drivetrain.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I am pissed off at Acura for not sharing any news but I gotta admit this car looks handsome. Acura should promote this car like they did with RDX. Invite all the automobile journalists, and compare it to 3 Series, C Class and A4. I believe the 3rd gen RDX is very successful due to the outstanding publicity and great reviews from the automobile world. 1.5 years has passed but the RDX sales are strong and overall people love the car. I see 75% A-Spec version here in Montreal. What do you guys see in your areas?
Around these parts, most Acura owners are Asian, so mostly I see Asian males driving RDXs. TLX, mostly Asian females (my wife among them)
Old 01-23-2020, 11:58 AM
BGR
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
I would think that whatever the MDX gets, the TLX should get too, since they're in the same "class" for the lack of a better word. Like how the current TLX and MDX have basically the same interior and drivetrain.

I would think the same, but the MDX will technically be their 'flagship'. The feature content while mostly the same is spread across the two quite different.
One thing to consider is the MDX has things like power steering wheel when the only other car that has that is the RLX.
The tech package MDX give you power folding mirrors while that option is on the advance package on the TLX and not available in the RDX.
The RDX doesn't give you rain sensing wipers until you get to the Advance where it's available on the lower tech trims for the TLX and MDX.
Remote engine start and parking sensors are on the MDX tech package but on the TLX you have to get the ASPEC for sensors and Advance trim for the remote engine start.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:23 PM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by BGR
I would think the same, but the MDX will technically be their 'flagship'. The feature content while mostly the same is spread across the two quite different.
One thing to consider is the MDX has things like power steering wheel when the only other car that has that is the RLX.
The tech package MDX give you power folding mirrors while that option is on the advance package on the TLX and not available in the RDX.
The RDX doesn't give you rain sensing wipers until you get to the Advance where it's available on the lower tech trims for the TLX and MDX.
Remote engine start and parking sensors are on the MDX tech package but on the TLX you have to get the ASPEC for sensors and Advance trim for the remote engine start.
Agreed. Acura's packaging has been a head scratcher as of late, and don't get me started with the RDX A-Spec being its own separate package. That said, I'm fairly confident that TLX and MDX will still share quite a number of bits and pieces, including the upcoming full digital gauge cluster. But like you said, the MDX will be the next showcase vehicle so it will have a bit more niceties, especially if the rumors of the demise of the RLX turn out to be true.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:26 PM
BGR
Instructor

Agreed. Acura's packaging has been a head scratcher as of late, and don't get me started with the RDX A-Spec being its own separate package. That said, I'm fairly confident that TLX and MDX will still share quite a number of bits and pieces, including the upcoming full digital gauge cluster. But like you said, the MDX will be the next showcase vehicle so it will have a bit more niceties, especially if the rumors of the demise of the RLX turn out to be true.
I think they should have the Tech, Advance then Aspec as top trim that has all Advance features before Type S. Go back to what made them successful for the 3G TL. Less option packages! Almost everyone in RDX forums want the Advance features including adaptive dampers. I wouldn't even have a base trim when their prices are so much better than the competition to being with.
The following users liked this post:
ZipSpeed (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 01:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
I hope TLX and MDX will have Advanced/Elite A Spec package.

I am confident for the mid cycle, the RDX will get Advanced A-spec. But they should not wait for TLX and MDX. It's so stupid to not have HUD and adoptive damper in RDX A-Spec.
Jiten Patel (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Around these parts, most Acura owners are Asian, so mostly I see Asian males driving RDXs. TLX, mostly Asian females (my wife among them)
When it comes to Acura owners here in central NJ, demographics are largely white with a light sprinkle of everyone else. Most Asians here seem fully committed to Toyota with some Honda (non-Acura) in the mix and the upscale crowd largely going BMW and Lexus. (Caveat: This is just my observation over time.)
Old 01-23-2020, 05:18 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
That's why I want to get a license plate that says AZN BENZ
The following 2 users liked this post by dopeboy1:
Midnight Mystery (01-23-2020), Nedmundo (01-24-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I am confident for the mid cycle, the RDX will get Advanced A-spec. But they should not wait for TLX and MDX. It's so stupid to not have HUD and adoptive damper in RDX A-Spec.
Really hoping this is true as well. I actually reached out to them about this in November through Instagram DM's. They replied to me at the time. Here's a screenshot.
9SpeedTran (01-25-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 07:35 PM
There are four lights!

I am hoping that Acura introducing the A-Spec as an entire trim package on the RDX is just testing the water and gauging consumer feedback. Just by reading this forum they should know there’s a lot of demand for an Advance/Elite with A-Spec. But then again, corporations always like to say they’re listening to the consumers, but in the end, they still do whatever the hell they want. And this is Acura we’re talking about. They don’t exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to delivering what consumers want. It’s no wonder people are flocking to the Germans. You can spec the car how you want it, but you do pay through the nose for that privilege.

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 01-23-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
I am hoping that Acura introducing the A-Spec as an entire trim package on the RDX is just testing the water and gauging consumer feedback. Just by reading this forum they should know there’s a lot of demand for an Advance/Elite with A-Spec. But then again, corporations always like to say they’re listening to the consumers, but in the end, they still do whatever the hell they want. And this is Acura we’re talking about. They don’t exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to delivering what consumers want. It’s no wonder people are flocking to the Germans. You can spec the car how you want it, but you do pay through the nose for that privilege.
Acura/Honda really miss the mark on trim levels and you are forced to choose between sporty or really nice to have options, at least here in the U.S. Using the TLX as an example it really sucks that some of the most useful options are costly add ons with the A SPEC e.g. heated steering wheel, remote start and you still can't get some of the most useful options like you get with the Advance. The whole thing has turned me off from the brand a bit, especially since the costs keep escalating; I typically keep my cars for a long time and when you spend that much you don't want to have to compromise.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
I don’t have a problem with Acura taking a while to get things right because they do need to get this car as close to perfection as possible. The issue I have is the overall timing and communication. The precision cockpit and concept were revealed in 2016 then the RDX in early 2018.

Just in the past year they’ve had test mules with production headlights and other car parts since at least last March followed up by a Car and Driver interview that said MDX and TLX were on par for early 2020 at the latest. I would not have introduced the Type S concept, which is essentially a TLX, so early especially if they don’t show anything in Chicago. They marketed that concept car every day on Facebook for a while and that got old really quick.

At this point it’s the 6th year for the TLX and they’ve been heavily discounted for a while. With all the new cars coming out Acura needs to at least show a prototype similar to the RDX. The Japanese luxury sedan market hasn’t been all that exiting over the last generation and with the likes of Genesis and the other luxury sedans coming to market there’s no reason to be so secretive. It just hit me the MDX hasn’t had a full redesign since 2014 even before the TLX and that car is selling on major discounts as well.

To me based on the leaked CGI the MDX definetly has the precision cockpit, TLX did not based on the same images but could be offered in Advance trim I suppose. The MDX appears to be getting a boat load on seating and suspension/steering/etc configurations for next generation. I guess if they are not planning a new RLX their resources will go into the MDX as their flagship by default.
The following 2 users liked this post by MIKEYDRED:
BGR (01-24-2020), Tony Pac (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
I hate to say they need to rush but if they are delayed at all the timing is not going to be good with the likely launch of the re-designed C-Class. Strategically speaking, I really think they need to get the first bite at the apple for 2020 redesigns (2021 MY) in the segment.

https://www.motor1.com/news/394346/2...c-class-spied/
Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
I'm ready to drive this thing. I just want to hear it.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:31 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
To me based on the leaked CGI the MDX definetly has the precision cockpit, TLX did not based on the same images but could be offered in Advance trim I suppose. The MDX appears to be getting a boat load on seating and suspension/steering/etc configurations for next generation. I guess if they are not planning a new RLX their resources will go into the MDX as their flagship by default.
I really hope this is not the case. If Acura launches the new TLX and does not put the Precision Cockpit in it at launch, it will never get it during the 6th generation. My guess is Precision Cockpit is integrated through the entire car and is not just a dashboard component. That would be a major mistake for Acura.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I really hope this is not the case. If Acura launches the new TLX and does not put the Precision Cockpit in it at launch, it will never get it during the 6th generation. My guess is Precision Cockpit is integrated through the entire car and is not just a dashboard component. That would be a major mistake for Acura.
there have been spy shots showing that the car has the precision cockpit...
Old 01-26-2020, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Please post evidence. I have not seen any, the old mules that showed interior shots was all that of analog tech meters.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:04 PM
BGR
Instructor

I believe that was only the MDX Type S spyshot.

https://2020newsuv.com/2020-acura-mdx-type-s/
ACCURATEin (01-27-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:26 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Looks like the power is going to be underwhelming. Probably no more than 350HP. Guess I’ll look elsewhere.
TVL65 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
I believe that was only the MDX Type S spyshot.

https://2020newsuv.com/2020-acura-mdx-type-s/
Looks like the dash and center console from my 17 MDX with the RDX's touchpad Frankensteined over the cupholders.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
https://www.motor1.com/news/367197/2...pied-interior/

Here...
The following 6 users liked this post by mondster:
ACCURATEin (01-27-2020), Curious3GTL (01-27-2020), internalaudit (01-28-2020), mapleloaf (01-28-2020), Midnight Mystery (01-27-2020), Rocket_man (02-04-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-27-2020, 01:05 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Heavy resemblance to the new RDX and Accord.... So far, I think I'm going to like it! Just get the damn infotainment right and were good!
internalaudit (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 07:54 AM
BGR
Instructor

That is the same gauge cluster as the RDX in that pic. I think what everyone is referring to is the digital gauge cluster. The other part of the 'precision cockpit; will be there similar to the RDX.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:56 AM
BGR
Instructor

Originally Posted by F23A4
Looks like the dash and center console from my 17 MDX with the RDX's touchpad Frankensteined over the cupholders.
You have to look really closely but the digital gauge cluster is there. The picture on the dash has a piece of paper that has the digital cluster layout as well and you can see where it says sport mode on the page.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Here's what the digital cluster looks like in my Accord at startup. The tach area is entirely programmable, including whether the tach is there all the time.

The screen in the picture from the link a few posts up also looks a lot like the Accord and exactly like the RDX. You can see the trackpad as well. It'll be exactly like the RDX. C'mon Acura, get this sucka out already!
The following 4 users liked this post by neuronbob:
BGR (01-28-2020), internalaudit (01-28-2020), Midnight Mystery (01-28-2020), Rocket_man (02-04-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
It's just mind blowing that the Accord has a digital cluster but the new RDX doesn't. Aside from that little screen in the middle. But it does have sort of an elegant look to it compared to the Accord.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jiten Patel:
BGR (01-28-2020), Midnight Mystery (01-28-2020), silverTL6 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 07:18 PM
BGR
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Here's what the digital cluster looks like in my Accord at startup. The tach area is entirely programmable, including whether the tach is there all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD7HKpvWzRI

The screen in the picture from the link a few posts up also looks a lot like the Accord and exactly like the RDX. You can see the trackpad as well. It'll be exactly like the RDX. C'mon Acura, get this sucka out already!

The RDX should have at least had this with the full dual cluster on both sides. The gauges on the RDX are ok but this looks so much better and everyone is going digital.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I think the RDX dash looks significantly better than the Accord. As for an entire digital cluster, I suppose it would be nice, but I think there are certain settings you will always want, not to mention the driver distraction of having multiple programmable screens (think Mercedes). In any case, unlike most on this thread, I'm also excited to see what my next TLX will look like - aka - a hopefully loaded version of the 2.0 Turbo. That will be the seller if this car is going to be successful. I also want my same DCT 8 speed vs the 10 speed. It's a superior transmission IMHO.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:57 AM
BGR
Instructor

This is interesting feedback on the gauge cluster and the preference of digital compared to traditional gauges. Most car groups I'm in people have specifically wanted the digital as it's making it's way through a lot of mainstream vehicles. Even the next Nissan Rogue is going to have it.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
People want the TLX to compare to the Germans.

Some may like or dislike the various styles but within the next generation all cars will use displays.

They need to go with a car version of the glass cockpit. They are well aware of this & have been for a number of years, remember the Precision Cockpit prototype they hyped a number of years back.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-30-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I suppose it would be nice, but I think there are certain settings you will always want, not to mention the driver distraction of having multiple programmable screens (think Mercedes).
Personally I like them. Also found once you have the screens & ambient color you want you pretty much leave them alone. Just load that configuration into your profile & your key fob sets your personal screens when you get into the car. The cars carry multiple profiles some keyed (no pun intended) to whatever number of keys you have & others are available by name either through voice or a menu touch for people without their own key who also use the car.

Acura Precision Cockpit

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-30-2020 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:39 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
They'll go half way and release a Semi-Precision Cockpit with 4K MID screen between the speedo and tach. . .
Old 01-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

The precision cockpit looked good when it came out 4 years ago, but honestly it looks no better (maybe even cheaper) than the current production offerings from MB/BMW/Audi...

Also, I really hope they get rid of the giant drive mode dial. It takes up so much room, and honestly, are people even using that on a daily/weekly/monthly basis? I've touched my IDS settings maybe 10 times in the past 3 years.
BEAR-AvHistory (01-31-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Digital guages are cool but they also kind of scare me because if they suddenly go out you are driving blindly. This happened to a friend of mine recently on the highway, hours from home and suddenly lost the entire digital dash. To keep an eye on her speed she used her phone's GPS to get a guage of how fast she was going but not my idea of fun.

I always wondered why Honda kept the speedometer as analog on the new Accord but after that incident it makes a lot of sense.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Digital guages are cool but they also kind of scare me because if they suddenly go out you are driving blindly. This happened to a friend of mine recently on the highway, hours from home and suddenly lost the entire digital dash. To keep an eye on her speed she used her phone's GPS to get a guage of how fast she was going but not my idea of fun.

I always wondered why Honda kept the speedometer as analog on the new Accord but after that incident it makes a lot of sense.
My 2 cents: if she needed to look at her speedo to keep her at a safe speed, that speaks more to her driving ability than anything else.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-31-2020), sweeT n Lo (02-01-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I honestly care very little about the interior in cars. As long as they remove the 2 screens, which they will, I'm fine. I'm patiently waiting for the outside and see how it perform
Old 01-30-2020, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

My 2 cents: if she needed to look at her speedo to keep her at a safe speed, that speaks more to her driving ability than anything else.
So you are saying that if you're driving on an out of state highway where the police sometimes aggressively ticket people going 10 mph over the limit that you would trust driving blindly and with no speedometer? I had no idea that there were people out there with the sixth sense of MPH. Or do you look at the trees and count the time between them to guage your speed?
Old 01-30-2020, 07:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ESHBG
So you are saying that if you're driving on an out of state highway where the police sometimes aggressively ticket people going 10 mph over the limit that you would trust driving blindly and with no speedometer? I had no idea that there were people out there with the sixth sense of MPH. Or do you look at the trees and count the time between them to guage your speed?
As someone who for years drove a car where the gauges would not light up at night, yes, it’s not that hard to differentiate between 65 and 75.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

As someone who for years drove a car where the gauges would not light up at night, yes, it’s not that hard to differentiate between 65 and 75.
I'm glad to hear that you have honed your MPH sixth sense but it's unreasonable to think that everyone would be able to do this, especially people that aren't into driving like we are and just go from point A to B. But even with the people who are really into driving, how many times have we heard them say that they looked down and did not realize how fast they were going because the car was driving so smoothly? Remove the gauges from the mix...

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)