2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 02:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
The problem is that this race isn't really important. Interesting maybe. I'm interested in Accords beating 330s because I like Accords and that results are cool. I also recognize that this race is really irrelevant to cars, brands or really anything, because it pits an Accord 2.0T, which by all metrics is an impressive overachiever in price, quality and performance, against a bottom of the barrel BMW. As in the least performance oriented, slowest, cheapest you can get. Actually, don't they make a 320? Is that a smaller engine that makes for an even slower car? I don't care to go research and frankly don't care what the Euros are up to these days. The point is, good for the Accord 2.0T. It would probably beat a stripped A4 too. It's a great car. Honda should be proud of it. That doesn't mean Honda > BMW or even that Accord 2.0T > 3 Series.

As long as this Youtuber is comparing bottom tier cars, a more relevant race would be an Accord 1.5T against the 330, again, because those are the "not performance" options. I already know the 1.5T is slow - slower than my hybrid - so that race won't go over well for Honda.

However, Acura is not making Accords. Acura exists to make premium** cars that compete in the space with BMW, Lexus, Audi, Volvo, etc. Or at least ALMOST compete, because, you know, "value proposition." That's sort of it's purpose. Getting back to races, I would be fine with someone racing a TLX 2.0T against a 330 to see what happens. Those are direct competitors. I don't know what the result would be - probably close? Maybe? And Acura could be proud of that result.

What the rest of us recognize (everyone besides Tony Pac and Honda430) and are trying to say is that the Type S is supposed to be the pinnacle of Hondacura performance. Right? Or no? I'm not telling Acura to go build a slayer of the M3, but if you want to be a heavyweight, then you have to step into the ring with Mike Tyson. Acura's own benchmark was the S4, right? So why is the Type S so far behind the S4 and a M340? If Acura can neither aim nor shoot any higher than the current Type S, then it sure looks like they're satisfied resting on their laurels and making inferior cars.

**from Wikipedia: Acura is the luxury vehicle division of Japanese automaker Honda.[1] The brand was launched in the United States and Canada on 27 March 1986, marketing luxury, performance, and high-performance automobiles.
It's pretty that the NSX is the pinnacle of Honda/Acura performance.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:31 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
It's pretty that the NSX is the pinnacle of Honda/Acura performance.
Funny guy. I thought about that while I was typing, but as I said somewhere else on the 2G forum, the NSX is a halo car. They only sell 100-300 in a whole year. If you want to compare apples to apples, how does the NSX stack up against the Corvette, R8 or 911?

So are you in the market for any of those supercars or plan to use them as daily drivers? You should check out McLaren while you're at it.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Funny guy. I thought about that while I was typing, but as I said somewhere else on the 2G forum, the NSX is a halo car. They only sell 100-300 in a whole year. If you want to compare apples to apples, how does the NSX stack up against the Corvette, R8 or 911?

So are you in the market for any of those supercars or plan to use them as daily drivers? You should check out McLaren while you're at it.
you're deflecting, you wrote
What the rest of us recognize (everyone besides Tony Pac and Honda430) and are trying to say is that the Type S is supposed to be the pinnacle of Hondacura performance.
so I was merely pointing out the obvious

Acura almost sold 600 in 2017, but probably won't break even as the 1G NSX didn't either.
NSX does fairly well in comparison tests (R8, McLaren, 911 Turbo,...), here against a Ferrari and McLaren. Although gotta wonder why a Portofino was chosen.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...-vs-honda-nsx/
Difficult market to say the least, curious how the C8 has/will shake it up.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-20-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:45 PM
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently purchased a '21 TLX Advance, and I'd like to walk through my decision-making process in case it helps others. Apologies in advance for the essay.

I knew I wanted a sedan, and I was shooting for something in the $35k-$45k range. That essentially ruled out the Type S, S4, M340i's of the world, and it narrowed my focus to higher trim options from mainstream brands and non-German luxury brands. I also knew I wanted something that was a good balance of sport and luxury without tipping too far in either direction. I initially eliminated a few options for the reasons noted below:

Chevrolet Malibu, Volkswagen Passat, Subaru Legacy, Nissan Altima --- elicited absolutely zero excitement
Volvo S60, Cadillac CT5 --- felt more luxury than sport
Alfa Romeo Giulia --- very poor reliability and a little too spicy for my Midwestern sensibilities
Mercedes-Benz C-Class --- getting refreshed for 2022, and the style was too gaudy for me
BMW 3 series --- probably the best in the segment, but pricey when you spec it out, and I have too many family and friends with G20 330i's
Infiniti Q50 --- very outdated interior and several reviews noted how terrible the steering was
Tesla Model 3 --- test drove one last year and I did not like the sterile interior, single-iPad interface, and the (often) insufferable owners

The remaining options where I focused my research were the TLX, Accord 2.0T, Camry V6, Sonata N-Line, K5 GT, Lexus IS300, Mazda 6 Turbo, Audi A4, Stinger, G70, and Volkswagen Arteon. I watched a ton of YouTube video reviews on each of these (FWIW, I found Savagegeese, Throttle House, and Alex on Autos to be the most knowledgeable and detailed reviewers). After watching reviews, I then eliminated:

Hyundai Sonata N-Line, Kia K5 GT --- 2.5T models really can't put the power down with a FWD open-diff setup, driving experience was usually described as "messy"
Mazda 6 Turbo --- takes itself too seriously, very dark and elegant and somewhat German-feeling
Lexus IS300 --- powertrains are ancient and my previous car was a naturally aspirated V6, so I was looking for something a bit different
Volkswagen Arteon --- it has some sporty looks, but it's really more of a luxury cruiser
Audi A4 --- for some reason, I never connected with it. Felt too old man-ish. Probably is behind the 3 series for overall best driving dynamics in the class, and you can get a well equipped one in the high 40s. The current B9 gen hasn't had too many issues yet, but previous generations have been a reliability nightmare

I hoped to set up test drives with the remaining 5, but had no luck finding a V6 Camry in my area, so ended up just testing the TLX, Accord 2.0T, Stinger 3.3T, and G70 2.0T and 3.3T. Going into the test drives, I was expecting the Stinger would be my choice, but obviously that was not the case. Here's how I would summarize those four:

Honda Accord 2.0T --- hilariously quick for a mild-mannered family sedan. There's plenty of quarter mile videos on YouTube where it easily beats the TLX and even edges a 330i. The car is light, and it definitely feels light when you drive it, which is good, but you also notice the road noise and the car doesn't feel as solid as the TLX. It still had some issues putting power down with the open diff; it was not hard to get the wheels to squeal. While it was quick, the chassis was not dynamic whatsoever. Interior is exactly what you'd expect from a Honda: very functional with good but sub-luxury quality. Overall it was hard to find faults in the Accord, but the driving experience wasn't as fun or interesting as the numbers would suggest.

Kia Stinger 3.3T --- found it to be really disappointing overall. The engine is fantastic; very smooth and refined, and the car was fast AF in a straight line. But he rest of the car was a letdown. The interior looks good in pictures but it's more Dodge Charger-level in person. The ride felt a lot more wallowy and unsettled than I was expecting. I've seen a lot of reviews describing the car as sharp and dynamic, but it definitely didn't feel that way to me unless I was going straight. I'm not the type to drive 90-100 on the highway, so I didn't feel like the car fit my driving style. I also read some of the Stinger forums and there are lots of complaints about squeaks and rattles. I know there are a lot of people that love this car, and I really expected to as well, but I came away feeling like it was overhyped.

Genesis G70 --- I did two test drives, a fully loaded 2.0T and a bare bones 3.3T. The 2.0T is not nearly as good as the K20C 2.0T from Honda/Acura. Like the Stinger, the 3.3T was great. The G70 felt way more solid and rigid compared to the Accord and Stinger. It's also dimensionally much shorter, so it felt significantly more agile. The downside is the backseats were almost dealbreaker bad in terms of space. I forgot to bring my car seat to test, but I don't think it would've fit with a front passenger. The ride was definitely on the firm side, but it wasn't unbearable. The exterior looked outstanding in person and was a perfect blend of luxury and sport, but the interior has more of that old man luxury feel. Other than the backseat space, the two things I didn't like were: 1) it's still trying too hard to be a cheaper BMW 2) the Genesis dealer was located in a random corner of a large Hyundai dealership. The salesperson wasn't very knowledgeable about the G70, and I didn't get the vibe that they really knew how to service performance sedans. I also worried a little about parts availability due to being a new brand that's not selling well yet. Overall, the car was good and it would've been a tough choice between TLX and G70 if not for the dealer setup.

Acura TLX --- The body rigidity and the chassis are what make the car stand out relative to the others I test drove. You immediately feel how much more solid it feels compared to the Accord, which helps make it feel great around corners but also explains why it's slower in a straight line. The torque-vectoring SH-AWD is very noticeable. You can feel the outside rear wheel being overdriven and you get get on the gas earlier than other cars coming out of a corner. It felt more dynamic than the Stinger despite the big power deficit. The different drive modes also lead to very noticeable changes. The interior and exterior design are very unique and not trying to copy the Germans. Material quality was the best of the ones I test drove, but a notch below Germans/Volvo/etc. The two things I did not have an issue with, but others might would be: 1) it's quite a bit bigger than other compact sedans, so it might not be ideal if you live in a crowded city 2) it's not that fast in a straight line due to weight.

Hopefully this helps for any others that are looking at sedans in a similar price range. I still think the Germans are on top, but you will probably have to pay more up front and potentially down the road. IMO, the TLX stacks up really well with the Japanense/Korean options.
The following 5 users liked this post by car_owner:
a35tl (07-21-2021), Camaro194 (07-21-2021), Honda430 (07-21-2021), someguy11 (07-21-2021), technocrat (07-26-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 11:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
you're deflecting, you wrote so I was merely pointing out the obvious

Acura almost sold 600 in 2017, but probably won't break even as the 1G NSX didn't either.
NSX does fairly well in comparison tests (R8, McLaren, 911 Turbo,...), here against a Ferrari and McLaren. Although gotta wonder why a Portofino was chosen.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...-vs-honda-nsx/
Difficult market to say the least, curious how the C8 has/will shake it up.
Don't think much deflecting was taking place as some times its very hard to be the Halo car of a brand if no one will buy it.

Must have picked 2017 since it was the best year they ever had. The second best year was 2018 @ 154. Then they dropped to 113 last year with $20,000+ in discounts. This year through June @ 60 still with $20,000 in discounts. Car is pretty much invisible at our local Cars & Coffee, usually 2 or 3 show up.

Funny thing when I lived in England the Gen 1 NSX had a HONDA badge on it in the front window of the HONDA store. So is it the Halo brand for Honda or Acura? Seems like they are only Acura Halo's in the US, maybe Canada. Right now they can't even sell the Gen 2 NSX in Japan

"Carscoops and the Japanese site Car Watch report that Honda has ceased sales of the 2020 model year NSX. While this may not seem like a big deal because it's a previous model year, it highlights the low sales the NSX has had even in its home market. According to Honda, though sales have stopped, production has not.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-21-2021 at 12:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (07-21-2021), someguy11 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 07:08 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Don't think much deflecting was taking place as some times its very hard to be the Halo car of a brand if no one will buy it.

Must have picked 2017 since it was the best year they ever had. The second best year was 2018 @ 154. Then they dropped to 113 last year with $20,000+ in discounts. This year through June @ 60 still with $20,000 in discounts. Car is pretty much invisible at our local Cars & Coffee, usually 2 or 3 show up.
This is precisely what I was saying. I saw the same numbers as Legend2TL on carsalesbase. You don't have to take statistics in college to recognize an outlier in a dataset. But that is the year he chose as if 600 was the silver bullet that made his point. Even compared to the other years of 100-300, these are extremely limited numbers of NSXs compared to say equivalent performance of Corvette selling 15k-30k and 911 selling almost 10k annually in the US.

The NSX is absolutely the pinnacle of Hondacura, but no one is buying it (except Jay Leno, who I think was on the waitlist for the 2G when they were released), and I've never seen one in person, parked or driving. I was saying the Type S is supposed to be the pinnacle of Acura performance for the everyman like me and the rest of us, you know, who have kids and want daily driver with a back seat, not a car to park in my third stall for half the year. Forget about the M3, which is the quintessential sports sedan, the Type S can't even beat a Accord 2.0T.
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 07:19 AM
Suzuka Master

This is precisely what I was saying. I saw the same numbers as Legend2TL on carsalesbase. You don't have to take statistics in college to recognize an outlier in a dataset. But that is the year he chose as if 600 was the silver bullet that made his point. Even compared to the other years of 100-300, these are extremely limited numbers of NSXs compared to say equivalent performance of Corvette selling 15k-30k and 911 selling almost 10k annually in the US.

The NSX is absolutely the pinnacle of Hondacura, but no one is buying it (except Jay Leno, who I think was on the waitlist for the 2G when they were released), and I've never seen one in person, parked or driving. I was saying the Type S is supposed to be the pinnacle of Acura performance for the everyman like me and the rest of us, you know, who have kids and want daily driver with a back seat, not a car to park in my third stall for half the year. Forget about the M3, which is the quintessential sports sedan, the Type S can't even beat a Accord 2.0T.
Really, really bad marketing plan to have as your HALO car something people will still not buy with $20,000+ on the hood. They get zero or almost zero respect in that market. Top end Corvettes C7 ZR1 were selling for more money.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:41 AM
Drifting

Received 1,273 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by car_owner
Genesis G70 --- I did two test drives, a fully loaded 2.0T and a bare bones 3.3T. The 2.0T is not nearly as good as the K20C 2.0T from Honda/Acura. Like the Stinger, the 3.3T was great. The G70 felt way more solid and rigid compared to the Accord and Stinger. It's also dimensionally much shorter, so it felt significantly more agile. The downside is the backseats were almost dealbreaker bad in terms of space. I forgot to bring my car seat to test, but I don't think it would've fit with a front passenger. The ride was definitely on the firm side, but it wasn't unbearable. The exterior looked outstanding in person and was a perfect blend of luxury and sport, but the interior has more of that old man luxury feel. Other than the backseat space, the two things I didn't like were: 1) it's still trying too hard to be a cheaper BMW 2) the Genesis dealer was located in a random corner of a large Hyundai dealership. The salesperson wasn't very knowledgeable about the G70, and I didn't get the vibe that they really knew how to service performance sedans. I also worried a little about parts availability due to being a new brand that's not selling well yet. Overall, the car was good and it would've been a tough choice between TLX and G70 if not for the dealer setup.
If this was an important criteria for you, then you must know that the TLX is similarly hampered in this regard. So do you have a carseat in the TLX right now?
Old 07-21-2021, 08:19 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ELIN
If this was an important criteria for you, then you must know that the TLX is similarly hampered in this regard. So do you have a carseat in the TLX right now?
I do have the rear facing carseat in the TLX. It's snug, but it fits without compromising too much. I know the rear legroom specs are similar to the G70, but I think the extra front space in the TLX makes it easier to fit a carseat without making the front seat unusable.
ELIN (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 08:30 AM
Drifting

I do have the rear facing carseat in the TLX. It's snug, but it fits without compromising too much. I know the rear legroom specs are similar to the G70, but I think the extra front space in the TLX makes it easier to fit a carseat without making the front seat unusable.
Good to know. I'm glad those days are far behind me but there are some members here who had similar concerns.

This TLX wouldn't be my first choice for a family sedan as the low ceiling height is conducive to concussions!
Old 07-21-2021, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,445 Likes on 1,892 Posts
Middle seat I presume? Or did you manage to squeeze it into one of the outboard seats?
Old 07-21-2021, 08:38 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Middle seat I presume? Or did you manage to squeeze it into one of the outboard seats?
It's behind the passenger seat. My wife is 5'8" and fits fine. Her seat is a little more upright than she would prefer, but we've done a few hour long drives and she wasn't uncomfortable.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:43 AM
Drifting

It's behind the passenger seat. My wife is 5'8" and fits fine. Her seat is a little more upright than she would prefer, but we've done a few hour long drives and she wasn't uncomfortable.
Your wife is relatively tall so I'm surprised that the car seat fits behind her. Good to hear that the TLX works fine for your situation!

I think you will find the owner's thread to be a good resource:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...thread-990844/
car_owner (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Nexx
what percentage of Accord owners do you think actually tune their Accords. my guess would be less than a a tenth of a percent.
you're probably right <1%

Funny thing when I lived in England the Gen 1 NSX had a HONDA badge on it in the front window of the HONDA store. So is it the Halo brand for Honda or Acura? Seems like they are only Acura Halo's in the US, maybe Canada. Right now they can't even sell the Gen 2 NSX in Japan

"Carscoops and the Japanese site Car Watch report that Honda has ceased sales of the 2020 model year NSX. While this may not seem like a big deal because it's a previous model year, it highlights the low sales the NSX has had even in its home market. According to Honda, though sales have stopped, production has not.
No one = zero which AFAIK there have been no years where there have been zero sales. C'mon Bear you're better than that

In terms of sales, don't know where you got those numbers but they do not match this
https://carsalesbase.com/us-acura-nsx/
which show
2016: 269
2017: 581
2018: 170
2019: 238
2020: 128

So to say "no one" is a exaggeration, "few" is perfect.

What is it with you two? No one = zero

If you woulda said
I was saying the Type S is supposed to be the pinnacle of Acura performance for the everyman like me and the rest of us, you know, who have kids and want daily driver with a back seat, not a car to park in my third stall for half the year.
instead of
What the rest of us recognize (everyone besides Tony Pac and Honda430) and are trying to say is that the Type S is supposed to be the pinnacle of Hondacura performance.
I never would have led us down this rabbit hole.

IIRC the main market comparison for the 2G NSX according to Acura was the Audi R8 and Ferrari 458. In 2017 there were 772 R8's sold in the US but overall the R8 is selling much better than the 2G NSX.
The car has been praised overall for it's various tech and performance, the 2G NSX does not have much clout in the supercar market no matter how it works as a DD or being reliable and low maintenance.

FWIW, the 911 and Corvette were the main marketing competition for the 1G NSX which never got near either of those in sales so despite great praise from Gordon Murray or Luca di Montezemolo it didn't matter to plumbers or doctors who probably had no clue who they are and bought their Corvette's and 911's.

Again the marketing folks at Honda/Acura kinda failed no matter how good/bad the reviews are for the 2G NSX, it's sales are not many even for the market it's positioned for.

Climbing out of the hole now

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-21-2021 at 10:21 AM.
WTF.Acura (07-23-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

That's interesting, which car seat do you have? I tried putting a Cybex Aton M, Nuna Rava, and Nuna Exec behind the passenger seat and had to move it up considerably to the point where my 5'5" wife was pretty uncomfortable sitting there with her knees touching the glove box.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:01 AM
4th Gear

That's interesting, which car seat do you have? I tried putting a Cybex Aton M, Nuna Rava, and Nuna Exec behind the passenger seat and had to move it up considerably to the point where my 5'5" wife was pretty uncomfortable sitting there with her knees touching the glove box.
Chicco KeyFit 30. I think the convertible Nuna ones you mentioned tend to take up more space because of how they tilt.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm going wild on a tangent I think...but holy hell how does Merc squeeze 375hp out of a 2.0L engine and Acura can't do it with 50% more displacement? I happened to be googling the CLA45 and it's just bonkers the paper-stats on that thing.

Either the trans/diff are going to be fragile like glass and/or we should see some pretty impressive KTuner gains.

Or maybe Acura just really didn't bother flowing the cylinder head properly. Think that was a problem with the 2.0L that chokes it off at high RPM.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dr/owned
I'm going wild on a tangent I think...but holy hell how does Merc squeeze 375hp out of a 2.0L engine and Acura can't do it with 50% more displacement? I happened to be googling the CLA45 and it's just bonkers the paper-stats on that thing.

Either the trans/diff are going to be fragile like glass and/or we should see some pretty impressive KTuner gains.

Or maybe Acura just really didn't bother flowing the cylinder head properly. Think that was a problem with the 2.0L that chokes it off at high RPM.
Hold onto your hats: the CLA45 S and GLA45 S actually pumps out 416hp from the 2.0L turbo.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Leaked info from BMWBLOG:
BMW 3 series Mid Market Update with be the 2023 cars. Front & rear updated + optional ($2500) M Performance Package (MPPK) looks like it will be available. No numbers but based on the ones I had in the past advertise BHP should be around 415BHP. The M cars moving up to 473 & 503BHP opened up some space to raise the M340's power.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Hold onto your hats: the CLA45 S and GLA45 S actually pumps out 416hp from the 2.0L turbo.
MB owns the production car 4 cylinder power derby. Interesting expect the 2023 M340 to be at 415hp. Coincidence???
Old 07-23-2021, 12:24 AM
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts
Forget about the M3, which is the quintessential sports sedan, the Type S can't even beat a Accord 2.0T.
Haha if the $55K Type-S was even competitive with the $70K fugly M3 BMW would be in serious trouble. Gonna have to see some evidence of a Type-S not beating a 2.0T Accord (which by the way happens to match or beat the BMW 330i/330xi).
Old 07-23-2021, 04:14 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by one4all
Gonna have to see some evidence of a Type-S not beating a 2.0T Accord
I didn't mean beat in a race. I meant as an overall vehicle, considering price, performance, features and sales numbers. But strictly speaking in a race, yeah, the $55k Type S barely beats a $32k Accord 2.0T.
C/D TEST RESULTS - TLX TYPE S ............... C/D TEST RESULTS - ACCORD 2.0T SPORT
60 mph: 4.9 sec ........................................... 60 mph: 5.4 sec
1/4-Mile: 13.6 sec @ 103 mph ....................... 1/4 mile: 14.0 sec @ 101 mph

That side-by-side makes me realize that the guys saying "it's not about the numbers" or "most people won't notice a half second difference" when comparing the Type S to Euros are the same ones who would say a Type S "handily" beats an Accord 2.0T by a half second.

Last edited by someguy11; 07-23-2021 at 04:18 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by someguy11:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-23-2021), leomio2.0 (07-23-2021), pyrodan007 (07-23-2021), vhtran (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 04:37 AM
Suzuka Master

you're probably right <1%
In terms of sales, don't know where you got those numbers but they do not match this
https://carsalesbase.com/us-acura-nsx/
which show
2016: 269
2017: 581
2018: 170
2019: 238
2020: 128

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/acura-nsx-sales-figures-usa-canada/

Just added up the months to get yearly totals. If their the numbers are different yours maybe global numbers. I don't remember people here using global numbers. When I post BMW AUDI MB numbers I use US/Canada Guess its OK for me to use global if you do.

Regardless of the difference in reporting numbers the car is still got canceled in Japan.

BTW why would I give a shit how you would say anything? Are you the official language hall monitor?

Meant to ask is that car you are posing with yours?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-23-2021 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Found the error that Legend2TL was so kind as to research it for me. I lost 2 columns from each year. Just careless on my part. The no so good news is my bad numbers don't change the fact that the NSX is a failed product.

The correct Legend2TL numbers are totals sales for the life of the car 1384. Average about 277 cars a year or 23 a month. The NSX has been unmitigated disaster for Acura.
someguy11 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:11 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts
But strictly speaking in a race, yeah, the $55k Type S barely beats a $32k Accord 2.0T.

That side-by-side makes me realize that the guys saying "it's not about the numbers" or "most people won't notice a half second difference" when comparing the Type S to Euros are the same ones who would say a Type S "handily" beats an Accord 2.0T by a half second.
These types of "why get more expensive rides when you can get something cheaper and have 90% of what the expensive rides offer" always make me scratch my head. Why get the TLX/S when you can get a Touring Accord, right?
The following 2 users liked this post by vhtran:
one4all (07-24-2021), someguy11 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:26 AM
AZ Community Team

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/acura-nsx-sales-figures-usa-canada/

Just added up the months to get yearly totals. If their the numbers are different yours maybe global numbers. I don't remember people here using global numbers. When I post BMW AUDI MB numbers I use US/Canada Guess its OK for me to use global if you do.

Regardless of the difference in reporting numbers the car is still got canceled in Japan.

BTW why would I give a shit how you would say anything? Are you the official language hall monitor?

Meant to ask is that car you are posing with yours?
meh, it was a discussion on which platform was the pinnacle of Acura/Honda performance.
I merely pointed out the obvious that it was the NSX, which devolved into a discussion into it not being successful (again with the typical Honda/Acura downer routine).
I thought I was pretty honest and fair when I stated

Wasn't trying to be precise so when I saw your data which seemed incorrect, I just went back to Wiki where I saw the data and it's source for production.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_..._sales_figures

Found the error that Legend2TL was so kind as to research it for me. I lost 2 columns from each year. Just careless on my part. The no so good news is my bad numbers don't change the fact that the NSX is a failed product.

The correct Legend2TL numbers are totals sales for the life of the car 1384. Average about 277 cars a year or 23 a month. The NSX has been unmitigated disaster for Acura.
Hey we all make mistakes, no worries.

As for the 2G NSX, it's a tactical business failure but then again so was the Porsche 959 and McLaren F1.
Both failed their business goals as well and lost ALOT of money, but in the long run both proved to be highly successful to their respective companies long term vision in technology and product evolution.

Will that happen to the 2G NSX in the long term?
Interesting question but only time will tell but I doubt it will add much if any technical or product marketing value to Honda/Acura just like the 1G NSX didn't either.
What the 1G NSX did influence was Ferrari and McLaren with Luca di Montezemolo and Gordon Murray not only praising it but using the NSX as a benchmark for Ferrari's and how the McLaren F1 should be a everyday supercar.

Sometimes a failure can become a vision, the Apple Newton which was a failure but some of it's technology and vision were applied to the iPhone which truly revolutionized Apple and it's business.

I'm a optimist but also a realist as well

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-23-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtran
These types of "why get more expensive rides when you can get something cheaper and have 90% of what the expensive rides offer" always make me scratch my head. Why get the TLX/S when you can get a Touring Accord, right?
Because sound system, handling, AWD, etc. But when the same applies to performance, well you don't need that. Who needs a car that fast, or that handles well on a track. This flip flop from fanboys is causing severe forum whiplash.
If the regular TLX is a compromise for speed and luxury features, then what exactly is the Type-S ... double compromise? I blame Acura for starting this comparison game, now they got caught with their pants down. It doesn't work with performance folks.
The following 3 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-23-2021), someguy11 (07-23-2021), vhtran (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Because sound system, handling, AWD, etc. But when the same applies to performance, well you don't need that. Who needs a car that fast, or that handles well on a track. This flip flop from fanboys is causing severe forum whiplash.
If the regular TLX is a compromise for speed and luxury features, then what exactly is the Type-S ... double compromise? I blame Acura for starting this comparison game, now they got caught with their pants down. It doesn't work with performance folks.
I still get a chuckle when I think about how Acura’s marketing department kicked off the campaign for their “best sports sedan ever” by focusing on the stereo system.
someguy11 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Meh, alot of the the Type-S reviews praise it's suspension performance and handling. So to say it doesn't perform is false, it have great handling and below average acceleration.

From C&D Type-S review
The structure is certainly stiff. But when driven back to back with a showroom-fresh Audi S4 that Acura brought out for a Pepsi challenge, the Audi's suspension isolation and structure felt just a little more buttoned up. We did find, however, that the TLX had livelier handling, more talkative steering, and better brake feel.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-23-2021 at 09:58 AM.
WTF.Acura (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtran
You can't deny the packaging problem surely. For $52,000 you get a 13.6s car with no HUD, no 360, no rear bench heaters, no steering wheel heater, no back USB, compromised back seat space (hate to even say it but we can't deny it's a fact despite many not caring), no wireless carplay / android auto, just to name a few of the things missing from the TLX-S. The Advance has most of that but why keep it off the TLX-S?

Compare that to the Accord Touring for $36,000 you get a 14.0s car with a HUD, 360? (I think?), heated wheel, heated rear, back USB, bigger back seats, wireless carplay/android auto, a proper touch screen for the infotainment, etc.

So what are you getting with the TLX-S? AWD, Sound System, .4s. Not bad things to gain but you lose a lot for it, you lose so much in fact that the car not being closer to a high 12s car isn't just disappointing it's a deal breaker for a lot of people as the value just isn't there anymore. Want the luxury features? Get the TLX-Advance or Accord Touring. Want performance AND luxury? Get the S4 or G70. TLX-S is in an awkward spot unless you're in a bubble where you're already in love with the TLX as a car in general in which case the S is undoubtedly the more entertaining version to get.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
The Mazda 6 and VW Passat are now dead too, seems like every few days we hear about the demise of another sedan:

https://amp.freep.com/amp/8045546002
Old 07-23-2021, 10:15 AM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
The Mazda 6 and VW Passat are now dead too, seems like every few days we hear about the demise of another sedan:

https://amp.freep.com/amp/8045546002
Such a downer from what was being discussed last year:

Next-Gen Mazda 6 Switching to RWD Layout, Inline-Six Power

Slated to arrive in 2022, the new mid-size sedan will kick Mazda's upmarket ambitions into high gear.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...onfirmed-2022/
Old 07-23-2021, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Meh, alot of the the Type-S reviews praise it's suspension performance and handling. So to say it doesn't perform is false, it have great handling and below average acceleration.

From C&D Type-S review
So being much slower is ok versus feeling just slightly better? With all that talk about double wishbone suspension, it should feel substantially better on the track. Brake feel may be better, but stopping distance is still longer. It's all subjective to driver, numbers are not. Audi does have little steering feel (confirmed on my A4), but I'm curious if that S4 had the adaptive steering since it should fix it a bit. Still not worth over 1k to me, as long as steering works.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:38 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts
Just for schiet and giggles, the S4 guys don't even care about the competitions and I am assuming the BMW guys do as well? FYI, I only screenshot the most recent posts.

Tony Pac (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 11:46 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
You can't deny the packaging problem surely. For $52,000 you get a 13.6s car with no HUD, no 360, no rear bench heaters, no steering wheel heater, no back USB, compromised back seat space (hate to even say it but we can't deny it's a fact despite many not caring), no wireless carplay / android auto, just to name a few of the things missing from the TLX-S. The Advance has most of that but why keep it off the TLX-S?

Compare that to the Accord Touring for $36,000 you get a 14.0s car with a HUD, 360? (I think?), heated wheel, heated rear, back USB, bigger back seats, wireless carplay/android auto, a proper touch screen for the infotainment, etc.

So what are you getting with the TLX-S? AWD, Sound System, .4s. Not bad things to gain but you lose a lot for it, you lose so much in fact that the car not being closer to a high 12s car isn't just disappointing it's a deal breaker for a lot of people as the value just isn't there anymore. Want the luxury features? Get the TLX-Advance or Accord Touring. Want performance AND luxury? Get the S4 or G70. TLX-S is in an awkward spot unless you're in a bubble where you're already in love with the TLX as a car in general in which case the S is undoubtedly the more entertaining version to get.
As nice as the Accord is its still an econo box. This comparison has been beaten to death on this forum and some people still buy TLX over Accord. Acura got greedy as they think that they can omit these extra features and sell on the Type S name alone. They will be added back sooner or later.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmski:
F23A4 (07-23-2021), WTF.Acura (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts

From C&D Type-S review
Quote:
The structure is certainly stiff. But when driven back to back with a showroom-fresh Audi S4 that Acura brought out for a Pepsi challenge, the Audi's suspension isolation and structure felt just a little more buttoned up. We did find, however, that the TLX had livelier handling, more talkative steering, and better brake feel.
I have to wonder about the brake feel. The S4 brakes pull the car down very quickly from higher speeds. I had the brembo's in my 07 type S and granted things have improved but in my S5 (6 piston calipers) the brakes leave nothing to be desired in spirited driving. They are fantastic. The downside is they do generate dust and eat up the rotors at a good clip but I will take the short stopping distance performance over that downside as rotor/pad replacement is relatively easy and not too costly even using oem parts.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 01:49 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
As nice as the Accord is its still an econo box.
That's a little harsh calling the Accord an "econo box", it's much better than what's considered that..ex Mitsu Mirage etc!
one4all (07-24-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:04 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
That's a little harsh calling the Accord an "econo box", it's much better than what's considered that..ex Mitsu Mirage etc!
Yeah, I'm not sure the guy knows the definition of econobox. Mainstream sedan, yes. Econobox? I mean, that's really wrong on two levels:
a) the Touring comes fully loaded with options that (I think) aren't even available in the Advance (yowsers) and
b) that term is traditionally reserved for point-A-to-point-B car, cloth seats, usually stick, that was stripped of any options, like no power anything, cassette decks or defrosters when that stuff was optional - the Accord has never been that, not even the LX trim. Think more like yes Mirage, or Geo, Tercel, Cavalier, certain Civic hatchbacks (HX or DX).

I'm not even saying that to defend Honda, the Accord or because I own one. I don't think an econobox would make 30x 10 Bests, the 2nd best selling car in America, etc. No one calls the Accord or Camry that. That would be like calling the base TLX an econobox. Ask 100 car guys and not a single one would agree any of these are econoboxes.

Last edited by someguy11; 07-23-2021 at 03:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by someguy11:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-23-2021), vhtran (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:21 PM
AZ Community Team

So being much slower is ok versus feeling just slightly better? With all that talk about double wishbone suspension, it should feel substantially better on the track. Brake feel may be better, but stopping distance is still longer. It's all subjective to driver, numbers are not. Audi does have little steering feel (confirmed on my A4), but I'm curious if that S4 had the adaptive steering since it should fix it a bit. Still not worth over 1k to me, as long as steering works.
Ah you said that not me, I said
it have great handling and below average acceleration.
which has been iterated by many reviews. Perhaps it should be slowest in it's relative class compared to C43/M340i/S4/...
To me overall user driving experience is more important than just numbers alone.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-23-2021 at 03:25 PM.
one4all (07-24-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I recently purchased a '21 TLX Advance, and I'd like to walk through my decision-making process in case it helps others. Apologies in advance for the essay.

I knew I wanted a sedan, and I was shooting for something in the $35k-$45k range. That essentially ruled out the Type S, S4, M340i's of the world, and it narrowed my focus to higher trim options from mainstream brands and non-German luxury brands. I also knew I wanted something that was a good balance of sport and luxury without tipping too far in either direction. I initially eliminated a few options for the reasons noted below:

Chevrolet Malibu, Volkswagen Passat, Subaru Legacy, Nissan Altima --- elicited absolutely zero excitement
Volvo S60, Cadillac CT5 --- felt more luxury than sport
Alfa Romeo Giulia --- very poor reliability and a little too spicy for my Midwestern sensibilities
Mercedes-Benz C-Class --- getting refreshed for 2022, and the style was too gaudy for me
BMW 3 series --- probably the best in the segment, but pricey when you spec it out, and I have too many family and friends with G20 330i's
Infiniti Q50 --- very outdated interior and several reviews noted how terrible the steering was
Tesla Model 3 --- test drove one last year and I did not like the sterile interior, single-iPad interface, and the (often) insufferable owners

The remaining options where I focused my research were the TLX, Accord 2.0T, Camry V6, Sonata N-Line, K5 GT, Lexus IS300, Mazda 6 Turbo, Audi A4, Stinger, G70, and Volkswagen Arteon. I watched a ton of YouTube video reviews on each of these (FWIW, I found Savagegeese, Throttle House, and Alex on Autos to be the most knowledgeable and detailed reviewers). After watching reviews, I then eliminated:

Hyundai Sonata N-Line, Kia K5 GT --- 2.5T models really can't put the power down with a FWD open-diff setup, driving experience was usually described as "messy"
Mazda 6 Turbo --- takes itself too seriously, very dark and elegant and somewhat German-feeling
Lexus IS300 --- powertrains are ancient and my previous car was a naturally aspirated V6, so I was looking for something a bit different
Volkswagen Arteon --- it has some sporty looks, but it's really more of a luxury cruiser
Audi A4 --- for some reason, I never connected with it. Felt too old man-ish. Probably is behind the 3 series for overall best driving dynamics in the class, and you can get a well equipped one in the high 40s. The current B9 gen hasn't had too many issues yet, but previous generations have been a reliability nightmare

I hoped to set up test drives with the remaining 5, but had no luck finding a V6 Camry in my area, so ended up just testing the TLX, Accord 2.0T, Stinger 3.3T, and G70 2.0T and 3.3T. Going into the test drives, I was expecting the Stinger would be my choice, but obviously that was not the case. Here's how I would summarize those four:

Honda Accord 2.0T --- hilariously quick for a mild-mannered family sedan. There's plenty of quarter mile videos on YouTube where it easily beats the TLX and even edges a 330i. The car is light, and it definitely feels light when you drive it, which is good, but you also notice the road noise and the car doesn't feel as solid as the TLX. It still had some issues putting power down with the open diff; it was not hard to get the wheels to squeal. While it was quick, the chassis was not dynamic whatsoever. Interior is exactly what you'd expect from a Honda: very functional with good but sub-luxury quality. Overall it was hard to find faults in the Accord, but the driving experience wasn't as fun or interesting as the numbers would suggest.

Kia Stinger 3.3T --- found it to be really disappointing overall. The engine is fantastic; very smooth and refined, and the car was fast AF in a straight line. But he rest of the car was a letdown. The interior looks good in pictures but it's more Dodge Charger-level in person. The ride felt a lot more wallowy and unsettled than I was expecting. I've seen a lot of reviews describing the car as sharp and dynamic, but it definitely didn't feel that way to me unless I was going straight. I'm not the type to drive 90-100 on the highway, so I didn't feel like the car fit my driving style. I also read some of the Stinger forums and there are lots of complaints about squeaks and rattles. I know there are a lot of people that love this car, and I really expected to as well, but I came away feeling like it was overhyped.

Acura TLX --- The body rigidity and the chassis are what make the car stand out relative to the others I test drove. You immediately feel how much more solid it feels compared to the Accord, which helps make it feel great around corners but also explains why it's slower in a straight line. The torque-vectoring SH-AWD is very noticeable. You can feel the outside rear wheel being overdriven and you get get on the gas earlier than other cars coming out of a corner. It felt more dynamic than the Stinger despite the big power deficit. The different drive modes also lead to very noticeable changes. The interior and exterior design are very unique and not trying to copy the Germans. Material quality was the best of the ones I test drove, but a notch below Germans/Volvo/etc. The two things I did not have an issue with, but others might would be: 1) it's quite a bit bigger than other compact sedans, so it might not be ideal if you live in a crowded city 2) it's not that fast in a straight line due to weight.

Hopefully this helps for any others that are looking at sedans in a similar price range. I still think the Germans are on top, but you will probably have to pay more up front and potentially down the road. IMO, the TLX stacks up really well with the Japanense/Korean options.
Great reviews overall. I think your conclusions were all very good. I cannot comment directly on the TLX because I have not driven one. I have driven some of the other cars, but not enough to come across as an authority on them.

I had planned to wait until the TLX-S and 2022 G70 were available. But for some practical reasons decided to go ahead and buy (lease)the 2021 G70 3.3 Sport. I am very happy with it, and I’m not even willing on saying “for the money” anymore. My last four cars were a 2017 540 M-Sport, 2015 and 2017 A7, and 2012 550 M-Sport,so I have plenty to compare my G70 to.

As to your negatives on the G70, how is “trying too hard to be a cheaper BMW” a bad thing? It’s a meaningless statement with no context. As to the old mans interior, fine. I’m 68. But the car magazines don’t seem to feel that way either. Maybe they are all old too!

Ive been a Honda/Acura fan since I literally had one of the first Accords in the U.S in 1976. By then I had already owned two Honda motorcycles also. And I own a 20018 Honda CBR1000RR now.We had a 2012 TL-SH-AWD and liked that car a lot. So I’m sure I would like the new TLX.

Last edited by jjsC5; 07-23-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition