2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:11 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Let's use this thread as a place to discuss the new TLX as it relates to other cars in the segment (or related segments) - hopefully with constructive comments and research this may serve to assist people who are exploring the various options.

For starters:

Audi A4
BMW 330i
Merc C class
Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
Genesis G70
Lexus IS
Infiniti Q50
Volvo S60
Cadillac CT4/5

Cheers!

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 10-07-2020 at 05:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (10-06-2020)

Popular Reply

10-11-2021, 12:04 AM
Honda430
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
The outside ain't to bad either. It's a beautiful automobile.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
There's already a thread on this.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...arison-989525/
Old 10-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
I have been waiting for the 2G TLX for a couple years now so I can finally make that purchase. From the leaked images from the RDX infotainment to the spy shots released over the past couple years, it's brought me even more excitement. However, as soon as Acura started releasing more info about this car, my excitement slowly started to diminish by every single tidbit released. I had initially started to truly believe that this car would finally be a major step in the right direction for Acura (closer to the Germans). It definitely is a good step, but doing is one thing; doing it right is a whole different story. These reviews sound great, but there is something Acura missed. Innovation.

My Review:

I drove the new TLX, it was great. I noticed some hesitation in gear changes at low speeds, but they still felt like smooth shifts. Odds are though that after 3 or 4 years, you would probably start to feel that. The car itself did feel big when driving it in a straight line and even on certain turns but very good in handling. I felt the power being lost at higher RPMs, not a problem if you don't go that high though. The infotainment screen was very crisp and very fast to react. I don't have any problems with the true touch pad; it was very easy to get used to it. The speakers are phenomenal and no rattles at all when you turn the volume up. More than enough room for a sedan inside if you ask me. Everything looked upscale. If anyone here is working at Acura, word of advice, if your 360 camera resolution does not match or come close to the resolution of your infotainment screen, then you got a problem. My honest opinion of the "metal" speaker covers? They feel so close to metal but more closer to plastic for some strange reason. I am not sure what it is. It felt cool to touch but when I tapped it, it felt like plastic. Not sure what they did there. Overall great car when you compare it with the 1G. I drove the Stinger the same day. I'm not going to compare the driving characteristics between the two as the Type S is not out yet however I will talk about the features/build of the vehicles as they are essentially around the same price. The interior felt a little less upscale on the Stinger but... not by much... There was more use of leather in the interior of the Stinger compared to the TLX for some strange reason which kind of surprised me. There is a lot of injection molded plastic on the TLX doors.

Problem:

Despite this car being MUCH better than the 1G and closer to the competition. It is not enough for what Acura claimed to be pursuing. I'll be honest, the price is too high for what it is when compared to the competition. It barely managed to pass by a 3 year old Kia Stinger in terms of features/build quality. Mind you, the Stinger is getting refreshed with quilted nappa seats, a wide infotainment screen, better ambient lighting, etc.. in this coming year. There's no new safety tech except for that new passenger airbag system and driver awareness (which was already on the Accords and other economy cars). The competition has the edge on tech for literally around the same price if not, even lower after a good discount. Where are the swiveling headlights that you can get at this price point for better visibility, heck the RDX has adaptive headlights. Where is the digital gauge cluster you showcased 4 years ago? Why can't I get heated rear seats after paying $60K CAD on an A-Spec trim but can get it on a Honda Civic for ~$20k less? The Germans offer better safety tech to keep you and the passengers safe. E.g. one of the basic safety features Audi offers is Audi Pre Sense, where it will close all windows in case of an accident. BMW offers a great parking assistant feature, that gives you a 3D view of your car from the outside allowing you to see everything around you. Mercedes does something similar to Audi but newer vehicles emit this pink noise during an accident which triggers your inner ear to protect your hearing from the pressure of the impact. (Innovation)

Final Thoughts:

I think the TLX is the best looking luxury sedan in the market. It lacks features for it's price. If you get a good deal that will be considerably lower than the Germans, take it. Otherwise, I suggest weighing your options. I think the 2G is the best car to get after it depreciates or when the discounts start to kick in. I still have hopes for Acura because I know the second they bring in their new safety tech they showcased in 2016, they will begin to elevate again. However, right now it's a missed opportunity if you ask me.

TL;DR: I loved this car at first but then that love diminished. Price is too close to the Germans and there isn't much to back it up.I think it's the best car to get after some generous discounts.

Last edited by Jiten Patel; 10-06-2020 at 10:48 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by Jiten Patel:
ELIN (11-09-2020), ESHBG (10-06-2020), FLYGUY31 (10-06-2020), kurtatx (10-06-2020), Petitioner (07-21-2021), pyrodan007 (10-06-2020), RedOctober (10-06-2020), SebringSilver (10-06-2020), silverTL6 (10-21-2020), Tony Pac (10-06-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts

That's the problem with this car; in a vacuum, I think it's pretty good as an upscale/premium compactish-midsizish car. But once you start looking at the competition (especially at the current market prices for these cars) it starts making less and less sense. I think in about a year from now when you can get these for 20% off (just like the RDX currently), it'll start making sense again, but by then who knows what the Germans will have cooked up. Even if we ignore the performance deficiencies, there's nothing earthshattering, and there's quite a few things missing that I would love to see on this car (for instance, the option for a fully digital dash, bending headlights, rear climate control, 20/40/20 folding rear seats, better 360 camera, etc.)

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-06-2020 at 11:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (10-06-2020), xjokerz (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiten Patel
I have been waiting for the 2G TLX for a couple years now so I can finally make that purchase. From the leaked images from the RDX infotainment to the spy shots released over the past couple years, it's brought me even more excitement. However, as soon as Acura started releasing more info about this car, my excitement slowly started to diminish by every single tidbit released. I had initially started to truly believe that this car would finally be a major step in the right direction for Acura (closer to the Germans). It definitely is a good step, but doing is one thing; doing it right is a whole different story. These reviews sound great, but there is something Acura missed. Innovation.

My Review:

I drove the new TLX, it was great. I noticed some hesitation in gear changes at low speeds, but they still felt like smooth shifts. Odds are though that after 3 or 4 years, you would probably start to feel that. The car itself did feel big when driving it in a straight line and even on certain turns but very good in handling. I felt the power being lost at higher RPMs, not a problem if you don't go that high though. The infotainment screen was very crisp and very fast to react. I don't have any problems with the true touch pad; it was very easy to get used to it. The speakers are phenomenal and no rattles at all when you turn the volume up. More than enough room for a sedan inside if you ask me. Everything looked upscale. If anyone here is working at Acura, word of advice, if your 360 camera resolution does not match or come close to the resolution of your infotainment screen, then you got a problem. My honest opinion of the "metal" speaker covers? They feel so close to metal but more closer to plastic for some strange reason. I am not sure what it is. It felt cool to touch but when I tapped it, it felt like plastic. Not sure what they did there. Overall great car when you compare it with the 1G. I drove the Stinger the same day. I'm not going to compare the driving characteristics between the two as the Type S is not out yet however I will talk about the features/build of the vehicles as they are essentially around the same price. The interior felt a little less upscale on the Stinger but... not by much... There was more use of leather in the interior of the Stinger compared to the TLX for some strange reason which kind of surprised me. There is a lot of injection molded plastic on the TLX doors.

Problem:

Despite this car being MUCH better than the 1G and closer to the competition. It is not enough for what Acura claimed to be pursuing. I'll be honest, the price is too high for what it is when compared to the competition. It barely managed to pass by a 3 year old Kia Stinger in terms of features/build quality. Mind you, the Stinger is getting refreshed with quilted nappa seats, a wide infotainment screen, better ambient lighting, etc.. in this coming year. There's no new safety tech except for that new passenger airbag system and driver awareness (which was already on the Accords and other economy cars). The competition has the edge on tech for literally around the same price if not, even lower after a good discount. Where are the swiveling headlights that you can get at this price point for better visibility, heck the RDX has adaptive headlights. Where is the digital gauge cluster you showcased 4 years ago? Why can't I get heated rear seats after paying $60K CAD on an A-Spec trim but can get it on a Honda Civic for ~$20k less? The Germans offer better safety tech to keep you and the passengers safe. E.g. one of the basic safety features Audi offers is Audi Pre Sense, where it will close all windows in case of an accident. BMW offers a great parking assistant feature, that gives you a 3D view of your car from the outside allowing you to see everything around you. Mercedes does something similar to Audi but newer vehicles emit this pink noise during an accident which triggers your inner ear to protect your hearing from the pressure of the impact. (Innovation)

Final Thoughts:

I think the TLX is the best looking luxury sedan in the market. It lacks features for it's price. If you get a good deal that will be considerably lower than the Germans, take it. Otherwise, I suggest weighing your options. I think the 2G is the best car to get after it depreciates or when the discounts start to kick in. I still have hopes for Acura because I know the second they bring in their new safety tech they showcased in 2016, they will begin to elevate again. However, right now it's a missed opportunity if you ask me.

TL;DR: I loved this car at first but then that love diminished. Price is too close to the Germans and there isn't much to back it up.I think it's the best car to get after some generous discounts.
Great review man! Well done.

I completely get your points. thanks for being honest and critical.
Jiten Patel (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
If Acura would have released this interior in 1G 2018 MMC and kept engine/transmission intact I think it would have been a great success. BUT if they also increased the price by 5k back then, would have been the same story as today. Overpriced for features it has. The exterior on 2G is indeed nice to look at, that will always be a positive.

As a wagon, this thing would have been fantastic since extra length can be used for storage. A missed opportunity. Something that Audi thought about and implemented, new 2021 A6 Allroad.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 10-06-2020 at 11:07 AM.
ESHBG (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
If Acura would have released this interior in 1G 2018 MMC and kept engine/transmission intact I think it would have been a great success. BUT if they also increased the price by 5k back then, would have been the same story as today. Overpriced for features it has. The exterior on 2G is indeed nice to look at, that will always be a positive.
Naw, I think we would still complain about the car being saddled with the ZF9. What they need is to have paired this car with the old conventional 3rd-gen SH-AWD system that evidently could handle all the torque. The new motor is fine, the 10AT at its core is fine, but whatever is going on with the 4th-gen SH-AWD system as it's currently implemented is having an outsized effect on the straightline performance.

I think we could look past any of the nits and quibbles that we currently have with the car IF it objectively performed better than the competition, especially with Acura positioning itself more towards performance than luxury. Instead, we know that this car is slower than the competition, and the SH-AWD model might handle better with better tires. Marketing ran their mouth and wrote a check that the product teams couldn't cash, and I think that's what left a sour taste in a lot of our mouths. The interior, exterior, and the rest of the car definitely holds is own against the competition, but doesn't blow them away. And that's fine, and if they could win on the performance side, then this car would be great. Either the performance needs to be better, or the rest of the car needs to be better, but in this case, performance is worse and the rest of the car is on par. That's not enough to win in this competitive segment.

Give this car the TD04 turbo from the CTR instead of the RH5, sort out the torque limitations of the SH-AWD system, and offer the option of summer tires, and that totally changes the calculus. Hell, you can even get summer tires on a Corolla these days. Sure, you sacrifice a bit of the low-range for folks who never rev it past 4000RPMs (you know who you are), but the midrange and more importantly the top-end gets a big improvement. Those three things would shoot this car right up to the top of the sports-sedan category (with an emphasis on sport). Missed opportunity.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-06-2020 at 11:19 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Petitioner (07-21-2021), pyrodan007 (10-06-2020), SebringSilver (10-06-2020), silverTL6 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 12:56 PM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
For $48,000 for the A-Spec I'll pass for now & wait 2 or 3 years when a used one will go for around $30,000 or less. Motor Trend did a review and it wasn't favorable. Looks like ACURA engineers have screwed up again.
RedOctober (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 01:42 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Naw, I think we would still complain about the car being saddled with the ZF9. What they need is to have paired this car with the old conventional 3rd-gen SH-AWD system that evidently could handle all the torque. The new motor is fine, the 10AT at its core is fine, but whatever is going on with the 4th-gen SH-AWD system as it's currently implemented is having an outsized effect on the straightline performance.

I think we could look past any of the nits and quibbles that we currently have with the car IF it objectively performed better than the competition, especially with Acura positioning itself more towards performance than luxury. Instead, we know that this car is slower than the competition, and the SH-AWD model might handle better with better tires. Marketing ran their mouth and wrote a check that the product teams couldn't cash, and I think that's what left a sour taste in a lot of our mouths. The interior, exterior, and the rest of the car definitely holds is own against the competition, but doesn't blow them away. And that's fine, and if they could win on the performance side, then this car would be great. Either the performance needs to be better, or the rest of the car needs to be better, but in this case, performance is worse and the rest of the car is on par. That's not enough to win in this competitive segment.

Give this car the TD04 turbo from the CTR instead of the RH5, sort out the torque limitations of the SH-AWD system, and offer the option of summer tires, and that totally changes the calculus. Hell, you can even get summer tires on a Corolla these days. Sure, you sacrifice a bit of the low-range for folks who never rev it past 4000RPMs (you know who you are), but the midrange and more importantly the top-end gets a big improvement. Those three things would shoot this car right up to the top of the sports-sedan category (with an emphasis on sport). Missed opportunity.
Missed 1 of 2 opportunities. Fortunately for Acura, they still have one more chance to impress with the Type-S, but I can see a lot of people having doubts considering the lackluster-ness of the 2.0T models.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Maybe @CheeseyPoofs McNut can update the original posts, but who do we think is actually "the competition"?

Audi A4
BMW 330i
Merc C class (?)
Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (10-07-2020), SebringSilver (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Maybe @CheeseyPoofs McNut can update the original posts, but who do we think is actually "the competition"?

Audi A4
BMW 330i
Merc C class (?)
Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
With the 2G’s snazzy looks, perhaps the A5 Sportback as well? And the new Lexus IS____ too.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:54 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
With the 2G’s snazzy looks, perhaps the A5 Sportback as well? And the new Lexus IS____ too.
I always forget the Lexus IS, but I think that's a common problem.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

On second thought, I wonder if I’m perhaps not alone with my often non-linear way of car shopping. I mean, I doubt I’ve ever thought to myself “oh I want to get a sports sedan”. It’s often more “let’s get something fun to drive which also serves some useful purpose”. The word “purpose” is a very fluid thing to me, and it could be something practical or something more esoteric. Like right now, we only have two cars whereas we usually have three. So this upcoming third vehicle could be anything as diverse as a wagon, a low slung super car, a sports sedan, or even a minivan. So while the TLX will of course have its natural enemies, I suspect a lot of people might actually be cross shopping it with some unexpected competition.
Midnight Mystery (10-21-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

On second thought, I wonder if I’m perhaps not alone with my often non-linear way of car shopping. I mean, I doubt I’ve ever thought to myself “oh I want to get a sports sedan”. It’s often more “let’s get something fun to drive which also serves some useful purpose”. The word “purpose” is a very fluid thing to me, and it could be something practical or something more esoteric. Like right now, we only have two cars whereas we usually have three. So this upcoming third vehicle could be anything as diverse as a wagon, a low slung super car, a sports sedan, or even a minivan. So while the TLX will of course have its natural enemies, I suspect a lot of people might actually be cross shopping it with some unexpected competition.
I think it depends if this is someone's car #1 or #2 or #3
1 - Not very practical
2 - Not very sporty (2 and 3 can swap based on dependencies)
3 - Not very cheap
SebringSilver (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 04:30 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
I always forget the Lexus IS, but I think that's a common problem.
The new IS 350 F-Sport looks fantastic. Plus, it actually decreased in price. But, Winding Road did a review on it and stated their 'As Tested Price' vehicle was $53k, and it didn't even have the better looking optional wheels. I didn't even know Lexus had enough options available to make a $7k+ price premium over sticker. I guess we'll see once you can actually build one on their website what's what.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

It had better have a decrease in price considering it's a redesign in name only. Same platform, same powertrain, interior looks about the same. The engine dates back to 2005, and while the 2GR-FSE/FKS isn't a bad engine, it's no longer competitive. Even the platform itself is going on 8 years now...
Old 10-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Audi A4
BMW 330i
Merc C class (?)
Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
I would've added the Jaguar XE, but that just got discontinued as per today's news.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Cadillac CT4, anyone?

Colorado Guy AF Ret. (03-03-2022)
Old 10-06-2020, 04:49 PM
Safety Car

Forgot the Q50, S60, G70, and the CT4/5.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Isn't just about any vehicle competition these days? The Accord Touring is better equipped than an A-Spec, a Camry and an Avalon can have AWD now...are the materials in the TLX that much better than what you can see in some of the new Kia's? It's so competitive nowadays and an open consumer can have a lot of damn good options.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Thé new Sentra looks great as well. I would definitely compare it in the mix as well.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
The only car I have on my list for the end of the year is the Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury. I'll be cross shopping the TLX Advanced trim and the ES Ultra luxury and make a final decision.

Milano leather vs Semi analine

Open pore wood vs Laquered wood

2L 4cyl turbo vs V6

10 speed vs 8 speed

Acura/ELS STUDIO 3D vs Mark Levinson

16 way vs 14 way adjustable seats

Wide wheel/tire vs Accustic wheel and eco tire

customizable vehical modes vs engine/ transmission
Old 10-06-2020, 09:18 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Isn't just about any vehicle competition these days? The Accord Touring is better equipped than an A-Spec, a Camry and an Avalon can have AWD now...are the materials in the TLX that much better than what you can see in some of the new Kia's? It's so competitive nowadays and an open consumer can have a lot of damn good options.
It was last gen, but the Camry was way more fun to drive than the last Gen TLX.
ESHBG (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
It pains me to say this as a true Honda/Acura enthusiast, but I gave up on the new TLX after reading the lukewarm reviews. I sold my V6 TLX Tech after nearly 5 years of ownership and waited patiently for the 2G TLX release. Given the larger size, increased price, and infuriating touchpad of the new TLX, I ended up checking out the G70 and Stinger. The G70 was nice but too small.. and I fell in love with the Stinger. There is just enough room in the back to be comfortable, and the hatchback design offers plenty of trunk space. Most notably, the Stinger drives so much better than the 1G TLX: the steering and chassis have a true sports sedan direct feel, all while providing a quiet cabin while cruising. Plus, there is no gimmicky True Touch middleman between my finger and the screen: Carplay works exactly as one would expect it to from their phone.

I think Acura missed an expanding market for sedan-styled hatchbacks similar to the A5/S5, Gran Coupe, and Stinger.

Last edited by TLXinTX; 10-06-2020 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Infotainment feedback
The following 3 users liked this post by TLXinTX:
ESHBG (10-07-2020), pyrodan007 (10-07-2020), silverTL6 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLXinTX
It pains me to say this as a true Honda/Acura enthusiast, but I gave up on the new TLX after reading the lukewarm reviews. I sold my V6 TLX Tech after nearly 5 years of ownership and waited patiently for the 2G TLX release. Given the larger size, increased price, and infuriating touchpad of the new TLX, I ended up checking out the G70 and Stinger. The G70 was nice but too small.. and I fell in love with the Stinger. There is just enough room in the back to be comfortable, and the hatchback design offers plenty of trunk space. Most notably, the Stinger drives so much better than the 1G TLX: the steering and chassis have a true sports sedan direct feel, all while providing a quiet cabin while cruising. Plus, there is no gimmicky True Touch middleman between my finger and the screen: Carplay works exactly as one would expect it to from their phone.

I think Acura missed an expanding market for sedan-styled hatchbacks similar to the A5/S5, Gran Coupe, and Stinger.
I really like those Stingers in the grey colour (like the Nardo Grey on Audi RS cars). I’ve never sat in one but the exterior looks very good. Congratulations.

And I agree, the Sportback styling is a no-brainer: looks better and is more practical.

Last edited by SebringSilver; 10-06-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Jiten Patel (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

I really like those Stingers in the grey colour (like the Nardo Grey on Audi RS cars). I’ve never sat in one but the exterior looks very good. Congratulations.

And I agree, the Sportback styling is a no-brainer: looks better and is more practical.
If Acura would focus solely on crossovers and sportback/hatchback inspired sedans in the future, I think they would strike a balance of functionality + performance + price that most would feel comfortable living with. A Type-S sportback, God yes please!
TLXinTX (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by TLXinTX

As one of the odd people who don't care for SUVs and crossovers, I've been saying sedans should utilize a liftback design for years.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-07-2020 at 09:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carnage719:
Jiten Patel (10-07-2020), pyrodan007 (10-07-2020), SebringSilver (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I got a soft spot for Stingers (or Sportbacks in general, I love the A7). That grey, god damn... The small amenities in the Stinger will surprise you. The aluminum on the door panels and the power adjustable steering wheel are very impressing. Small things like LED courtesy lights on the door handles at night make it feel even more special. These things scream luxury.

Speaking of competition, anyone else see the spy shots of the G70 wagon? Not sure if it will be coming to North America but it's still very cool to see.
https://www.motor1.com/news/447659/g...g-brake-spied/
The following 3 users liked this post by Jiten Patel:
ESHBG (10-07-2020), pyrodan007 (10-07-2020), Terragotti (10-10-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 09:14 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
The new TLX isn't selling, my dealer still has the same 2 A-specs on their lot from over 2 weeks ago.
RedOctober (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

I got a soft spot for Stingers (or Sportbacks in general, I love the A7). That grey, god damn... The small amenities in the Stinger will surprise you. The aluminum on the door panels and the power adjustable steering wheel are very impressing. Small things like LED courtesy lights on the door handles at night make it feel even more special. These things scream luxury.

Speaking of competition, anyone else see the spy shots of the G70 wagon? Not sure if it will be coming to North America but it's still very cool to see.
That G70 wagon is VERY interesting, apparently it will be sold in America
ESHBG (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just going by the proportions that you can still make out under all that camo, and knowing what we know already about the way the sedan is going to look, the G70 Wagon should be pretty sweet. I still think the general population would more likely opt for an SUV but that’s even better for those of us who like something a little different.

The sedan is going to be amazing if they’re really going to look like this:

Old 10-07-2020, 11:13 AM
Azine Jabroni

I like the genny but I don't love that grille. The upside down teardrop isn't my favorite.

Either way, this like more like a Mercedes competitor than anything related to TLX
Old 10-07-2020, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

I forgot to mention though, that in my opinion, the new Type S definitely looks sportier than the G70. The G70 gives off a more elegant, luxurious vibe which is great of course, but the Type S definitely looks more like a sports sedan should. If only Acura would pack 400 HP in that thing....
Old 10-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Either way, this like more like a Mercedes competitor than anything related to TLX
Yup, nailed it.
RedOctober (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:16 AM
Azine Jabroni

I forgot to mention though, that in my opinion, the new Type S definitely looks sportier than the G70. The G70 gives off a more elegant, luxurious vibe which is great of course, but the Type S definitely looks more like a sports sedan should. If only Acura would pack 400 HP in that thing....
I expect Acura to do the same thing Audi does. They'll take their car and dump a giant engine in it. The problem is, the S4 is based on the A4, which is a great car. The Type S will be based on the TLX, which is...okay?
RedOctober (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Just going by the proportions that you can still make out under all that camo, and knowing what we know already about the way the sedan is going to look, the G70 Wagon should be pretty sweet. I still think the general population would more likely opt for an SUV but that’s even better for those of us who like something a little different.

The sedan is going to be amazing if they’re really going to look like this:
Like the car in general but with that nose they have to be very happy to see the BMW 4 series Pig Snout got released.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Like the car in general but with that nose they have to be very happy to see the BMW 4 series Pig Snout got released.
Yeah, it's just too big for such a small car. The proportions look much better on the GV70 and GV80.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:12 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by TVL65
The new TLX isn't selling, my dealer still has the same 2 A-specs on their lot from over 2 weeks ago.
Any idea what they’re asking for it? Asinine mark-ups may be the reason they’re still sitting around waiting for some sucker to come along. Same will likely go for the Type-S by an exponential amount. I’m sure the price hike along with mediocre reviews didn’t do it any favors. The dealer that I got mine from has two base models. They’re still there ... no idea what they’re asking, but I figured they were still sitting around simply because they were the base model that nobody really wants.

As for the Stinger and sport backs, I like them, but if you look at the numbers, they really don’t sell. If Genesis brings the G70 wagon, kudos, but again, American consumers are dumb and would rather get a CUV/SUV that is worse in every conceivable way except for ground clearance ... because they get 3” of snow every once in a while in the winter. People complain about how we don’t get wagons, but then nobody buys them
SebringSilver (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
It’s amazing that Acura is no longer the purveyors of the worst front grill anymore. It’s like everyone’s trying to outdo each other with controversial front beaks. I really liked how BMW made their double kidneys flatter and wider over the years, which made them look like an old school Lancia rally car, but now that they’re squeezing them making them narrower and taller, it’s really going to take some getting used to.

I wish Acura took a page out of Audi’s playbook with the way they implement the front radars. The way it’s done on the A5 is really subtle. They’re round circles integrated into the front lower facia where normally you’d expect the fog lights to be. You don’t even notice them at all.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
I wish Acura took a page out of Audi’s playbook with the way they implement the front radars. The way it’s done on the A5 is really subtle. They’re round circles integrated into the front lower facia where normally you’d expect the fog lights to be. You don’t even notice them at all.
Same on the Audi Q5-e . On the 2-front corners where they need to be. Small parking-type sensors (fairly hidden) all along the front. Front facing camera in hidden right below the 4-rings symbol.
SebringSilver (10-07-2020)

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition